+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) April15th, 2009 THANK YOU

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Secrets and Lies (PG-15) April15th, 2009 THANK YOU

Summary: Secrets and lies have always been part of his life, and she has made a living out of exposing them. What happens when she discovers more than sheīs bargained for and when he learns everything he thought he knew was a lie? Sometimes a life-death decision can rise up questions and provide you with answers you arenīt prepared for.

Author:
    Lexie

Rating: PG-13/15

Spoilers: Everything up to Fracture is up for grabs.

A/N 1: I had already written the first half of this story when RL forced me to put it on hiatus last July. By the time I could get back to it, I had started beta-ing dagneyīs “Dragonīs Lair”, and I seriously considered putting this to freeze in case someone thought I had picked on Sherryīs brain- you see both fics start where Fracture left off. Then I thought it would be foolish not to finish it because I had written the Fracture-sort-of-inspired half of the story before dagney even started brain-storming hers and, whatīs more, I had planned my story to go in a completely different direction, so I sat down and wrote the rest.

This first posting will be somewhat long for my usual standards. Why longer, you ask? Iīll be in the mountains for a fortnight and I wonīt be able to update it until I get back home, so I thought Iīd better give you some Chlex in todayīs instalment. I donīt have a laptop to carry along, but Iīll do my best to stop by a cyber café to read your feedback.

The length of this posting might look daunting at first, but I hope youīll give it a try. You may think you know things but in this first part Iīve already introduced a few not-so-evident clues that weīll factor in the development of the story. Secrets and Lies is a fic packed with hidden clues, twists, turns and quite a few surprises. I hope youīll stick around for the ride.

Enough said. Letīs go straight to the story, now.

A/N 2: The sequence of events in this story may not necessarily follow the timeline of the show. Iīve manipulated certain events from the show- including their time frame– to suit my own creative purposes.

Disclaimer:
    all Superman and Smallville characters belong to DC Comics and Gough & Millar. No infringement's intended.

SECRETS AND LIES
    CHAPTER 1: REBIRTH

It was drizzling steadily in the streets of Smallville- nothing like the heavy rain that had soaked him wet in Detroit when he went looking for Clarkīs amnesiac cousin, but annoying just the same. On the distant horizon lightning illuminated the skies and the storm that looked benign in the misleadingly quiet rural town turned suddenly ominous- a raging thunderstorm hidden behind a calm exterior, a reflection of the young manīs soul.

A couple of hours ago he had come out of a deep coma, surprising the medical staff on duty at Smallville Medical Center. He had come round amidst a blinding light and, for a few confusing moments, he had thought he was there, where his tainted soul should have been denied instant access. It had looked and felt like Heaven, only he knew it couldnīt be true. If he had finally crossed to the other side, it wouldnīt have been Heaven, not after the path he had taken. Still... something had happened, something which had shaken his very core and brought out feelings and cravings his darker half wanted dead and buried.

Divested now of the hospital garb, which he had come to hate after spending three-quarters of his life in health care centres- either as a patient or as an unwilling visitor- Lex Luthor stood looking out of a window in a pair of perfectly-pressed black trousers and a half-buttoned blue dress shirt.

Almost two years before he had come out of a similar comatose state a new man- wiser, crueller and more determined than ever to secure the one thing he had craved all his life and been denied. He had taken the path his mother had warned him against, convinced there was no other choice to find happiness; if thereīd ever be something akin to happiness in a Luthorīs life.

He had cheated. He had lied. He had manipulated and plotted to get what had been so cruelly taken away from him when Lillian had died, leaving him to the tender mercies of a father in whose eyes Lexīd never be enough. The poor rich boy wanted, needed, to be loved with such despair that it made his darker half sneer at Alexander. The innocent boy still survived in the deep recesses of the billionaireīs soul, despite his fatherīs and the worldīs attempts to smother him once and for all. It seemed Lex himself had joined the enemyīs ranks of late, fighting tooth and nail to crush every vestige of the weak wide-eyed boy who had made it impossible for him to earn Lionelīs approval. Little Alexander had only brought pain and disillusion to Lex, and holding onto him had been an act of rebelliousness, a last attempt to save what had been doomed from its seed.

For months Lex had been able to silence the voice that kept intruding into his thoughts, telling himself he had listened to it long enough, only to be betrayed by those closest to him and to be doubted every step of the way because he had had the misfortune to have been born a Luthor and not a salt-of-the-earth mild-mannered boy like Clark Kent. It didnīt matter that the young farm boy made mistakes or hurt those around him with his secrecy, the world was ready to forgive Jonathan Kentīs adoptive son; Lex was certain everyone would embrace the boy if he were to reveal the secret heīd been hiding for years. However, Lionel Luthorīs son would never be given that chance. He had been branded at birth. Heīd be forever evil in everyoneīs eyes and, because of that, never entitled to have a secret or make a wrong decision. Unlike Clark, Lex had been born with a silver spoon in his mouth but had had to fight all his life to beg for everything that the farm boy took for granted.

Being in a coma had been an illuminating experience and coming out of it had brought to the surface old insecurities and stripped Lexīs soul bare. The mask heīd been wearing those past months, the armour heīd decided to put on ever since the Christmas he had refused to renounce his dream of a seat at the Senate was no longer in place. Something had happened while he was dormant and fighting for his life in that hospital bed, something that had made him see the light at the end of the tunnel- only it wasnīt the door to the afterlife but to another chance here on earth.

Lex had already lost count of how many times his life had been spared and of how many second chances he had been given by either God or Providence. Two of these chances were deeply imprinted on his mind for on both occasions heīd been saved from drowning by a Kent- Clark and Kara, two cousins who had come to plague the billionaireīs waking hours. The enigma behind his former friend had obsessed Lex for years on end and the arrival of the angelic blonde-haired cousin, who had rescued him from certain death, had revived and stoke that sickly fixation to unravel the mystery behind Clark Kent. It was because of Kara Kent and his obsession with the farm boy that Lex had got a bullet in his head. That his life had been spared for the umpteenth time was a miracle he couldnīt fathom; it made him wonder why God had decided once again that his life was worth-saving.

Looking out of the window of his hospital room Lex saw, reflected on the pane, the face of the one woman who had ever loved him in spite of whom he was. “Mum?” he asked with glassy eyes. “What...? Why are you.. .? I thought Iīd never see you... again,” he mumbled, his voice charged with emotion.

“Hush, Alex, “ the ethereal figure cut him off. “ You should have listened to me last time, but Iīm not the one to cast the first stone, Alex. Everyone makes mistakes; it doesnīt mean you arenīt deserving. I wanted so much for you to have what I had in my grasp and let slip away. Itīs said that parents always know better, but it isnīt always so. I should have been stronger... I should have never... I should have protected you and told him the truth before it was too late. Things would have been so different if I had... if he had, at least, known. But I was scared... “

“What are you talking about? What is it that dad should have known?” he frowned.

“You mustnīt let Lionel win, Alex. If you do, all this suffering and pain will have been for nothing. You can do it. You can beat him because my babyīs still here, “ she murmured with a soft smile, touching his chest where his heart was. “My little, beloved Alexanderīs still here. And heīs fighting to survive, and I just had to give him the chance before it was too late. “

“Was it you, then? “ he asked with a puzzled frown.

“It was you, Lex, “ she responded warmly. “You knew youīd made a mistake not listening to me that Christmas. I thought Iīd lost you, too, “ she told him, cupping his face with a delicate hand. “You called for help. “

“The light? Was it you, then? “ he frowned.

“Stop trying to intellectualise everything, Lex. Just feel. “

“Feelingīs what brought me here, mum, “ he said in anguish. “ Feelings have brought me nothing but pain.”

“Alex, “ she turned his face towards her, “donīt do that. Donīt close yourself up again. If this is to work, you canīt fight it or, else, itīs the final goodbye for both of us. “

“But the light... I felt something... someone... if it wasnīt you, then ... who?” he said agitated.

“Donīt try to look for all the answers, Alex; donīt try to go down that dangerous path again. The answersīll come to you when the time is right. Youīve shown her, Alex; she knows the reason now.”

“What are you saying, mum? Who is she? Why are you talking in riddles?” asked Lex frustrated.

“Listen to your heart, “ she soothed him, taking his hand in hers and placing them on his beating chest. “I wish I could tell you everything now, but ... it isnīt safe yet. “

“Safe for whom?”

“Things are already in motion. Youīve just got to trust me, Alex. I promise you this time itīll be different. “

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because youīre not alone this time. You need to have faith, Alex. I know Lionelīs done his best to try to kill that in you, but you have to make a leap of faith. Thereīs a reason for your survival, and all the answers youīve been waiting for so long will be given. I just hope youīll find it in your heart to forgive me. I love you, Alex; youīve always been loved, “ she leant forward and pressed a kiss on his cheek.

“Mum?” choked Lex when he saw Lillianīs ghost vanish.

“ Lex, son, “ Lionelīs voice intruded on the scene, putting a hand on the young manīs shoulder. “Shouldnīt you be in bed? Youīve just come out of a coma. “

“And you wouldnīt happen to know anything about my recovery, would you? “said the patrician heir, turning around to meet Lionelīs eyes.

“Iīm a Luthor, but even I am not that powerful, “ came Lionelīs answer.

“Did you know that people in a coma can hear everything thatīs said around them?” asked Lex tersely. “You wanted to play God with my life, dad, use one of LuthorCorpīs experimental projects I cancelled in view of its tragic results. Well, did you?”

“Youīve been through a traumatic experience, Lex. Whatever you think you heard was just your mind playing tricks, “responded the older man gravely.

“ Oh, I know what I heard and, believe me, Iīm not insane, “ said the young billionaire, shaking his head. “But, you know what? Itīs irrelevant now. Iīve been given another chance. This is my last opportunity to get away from under your shadow; and Iīm not going to waste it trying to understand whatīs going through your sick mind. Iīm done playing your twisted games. I just want you to get out of my life. Besides, wasnīt you who said you no longer had a son?” responded Lex, his body coiled up in tension.

“Lex, “ said reproachfully. “Youīll always be my son, no matter our differences. I know I should have told you this before... “ he continued, grabbing Lexīs forearms and holding his gaze. “ I lo... “

“Oh, spare me, dad! “ exclaimed the young tycoon, shaking his fatherīs hands off. “You donīt know what love is. “

“I know Iīve failed you, son. Iīve misjudged you for many years. If I had known... “

“Donīt try to play that card on me. You could never stand to see me happy... “

“You know, Lex, if you werenīt so obsessed with the past and trying to find out answers for everything, you would appreciate what you have. Lex, Lex, why canīt you see everything Iīve ever done...”

“...was to show me how much you hate that I am alive while he is dead? “ finished Lex, stretching an arm to grab his long winter overcoat.

“Are you trying to blame me for every morally-questionable decision youīve taken in recent times?”

“Morally-questionable decisions? The pot calling the kettle black, “ smiled Lex ironically.

“Are you blaming me for your current predicament, son? It wasnīt me who sent you to Detroit to chase that new obsession of yours. Whatīs her name? Kaila? Kiera? “ frowned Lionel.

“Come on, dad, donīt play dumb. You know who she is. Youīve been spending more time on that farm than in your office at LuthorCorp, “ chuckled Lex as he did up his Armani overcoat.

“And tell me, Lex, what is that you want with that farm girl?”

“I could ask you the very same question. A leopard never changes its spots. Youīve got something up your sleeve; I can tell. I still donīt understand how a boy raised by Jonathan Kent can so readily open you the doors of his house. I honestly hope he knows what heīs doing, “ he responded putting on his designer tainted glasses.

“Clark Kentīs an extraordinary young man, “ said Lionel, cocking an eyebrow.

“He certainly is, but heīs extremely naïve- something you and I have never been.”

“Naïveté is a very refreshing character trait. Your mother had it in spades,” Luthor Sr. replied with an ironical tone in his voice. “Have you talked with her lately, Lex? “ he added, looking at his sonīs back as Lex started to leave the room.

Lex clenched his fists deep in the pockets, wondering how long Lionel had been standing at the doorway before making his presence known. Lillianīs apparition had been too transcendental a moment to be soiled or dissected by the man who had made her life a living hell and who had done his worst to crush whatever redeeming quality Lillian had seen in her son.

“Goodbye, dad. Seek someone elseīs life to destroy, “ finished the young tycoon as he left the room without dignifying the elder man with an answer.

As he marched down the corridor Lex felt the pricking of tears behind his eyelids and fought against the impotence that overtook him. He hated the man, hated him but, at the same time, hopelessly wished to gain his approval and, in doing so, he had chosen the path which was leading him straight to the destiny he had sworn to avoid- becoming his father.

Lex clenched his fists and took a deep breath as he approached the exit of the small townīs hospital. `Donīt give up, Alexander. Iīll be there, remember?ī said a voice in his head. “Mum?” he whispered.

Heīd thought heīd never see her again after he refused to accept what she had shown him two Christmases ago. This time, he told himself, heīd pay heed because, if she was right, the blinding light that had surrounded him and the warmth that had enveloped his heart when he was brought back to life were waiting to find him. Lex knew itīd be a hard struggle to curve his own inquisitive nature- his thirst to have all the answers. However, if being blind for a while was the price to pay to have, at least, a small taste of what heīd foolishly thought he could have with Lana, itīd be more than worth it.

CHAPTER 2: AWAKENING

THE APARTMENT ABOVE THE TALON

Eighteen hours had gone by since Clark intruded into Lexīs private room at Smallville Medical Center to find his former friend coming round amidst a blinding light. A hunch had driven the farm boy back to the hospital and his intuition had once again proven right. He loathed to think what would have happened if he hadnīt arrived in time. Lex would just have had to put two and two together to arrive at the correct conclusion. Had Clark hesitated to enter that room for a millisecond, the second best-kept secret in Smallville would have come to light.

Keeping Lois away from the apartment above The Talon, once he had located both her and his cousin Kara in that scrap yard back in Detroit, had been an extraordinary feat. And lying to Lana in the face about his current whereabouts had put another nail to the coffin of their already dying relationship. Who could understand the feminine mind? He was surrounded by them and still heīd never be able to figure them out- a Jezabel who had ensnared him in a quasi-adulterous relationship, an amnesiac cousin who eyed him as if he were the enemy, an obnoxious devil-may-care army brat and now... a sleeping beauty ready to sacrifice her life for... whom? For Kara and Lois? For him? Or... ? He darenīt think of the third alternative, not after everything that had passed between Chloe and his former best friend in the last four years.

It was close to two in the afternoon when Clark crossed the deserted cafeteria and climbed up the stairs with a glass of milk and a piece of blueberry pie. He had resisted the urge to super-speed downstairs all morning afraid of leaving Chloe alone even for a fraction of a second, but his stomach had started grumbling, demanding sustenance, and he was forced to relinquish his post by her bed.

At exactly two-oh-five the blonde reporterīs dormant body stirred suddenly back to life, and Clark walked into the apartment to find her sitting on the bed with a hammering heart and a disoriented look in her eyes.

“Chloī? “ asked a relieved farm boy, setting down his snack on the night-table.

“Clark?” responded Chloe with a raspy voice as she focused her blurry eyes on the blue and red-clad figure sitting on the bed.

“God, Chloe!” he exclaimed, tucking a few loose strands of blonde hair behind her ears. “What in heavenīs name did you do?” he added, wrapping his arms around her in a big hug.

“Easy, Clark. Youīre going to crush my bones, “ she laughed, swallowing the lump in her throat as reality came crashing down on her.

“ Iīm sorry, “ he smiled sheepishly as he loosened the grip on her petite frame. “You scared me to death, Chloī. Why... ?”

“Lois and Kara, are they...? “ she cut him off, slipping away from his grasp and trying to get a grip now that she was back on solid ground.

“Theyīre out of harmīs way,” he responded, eying her back with a concerned look on his face. “I found them in Detroit. You told me before slipping into a coma. “

“Right, “ she whispered, making an effort to keep the tears in check as she started to process everything sheīd seen and felt when her essence had left her body in that hospital room.

“Chloe, why did you do it?” he asked tensely, walking towards her as she busied herself with some dirty dishes Lois had no doubt left in the sink before rushing away to Motor City.

“Clark... it was the only way,” she responded after taking a deep breath.

“You know that isnīt true. Lionel said... “ he began only to be cut off by her.

“Come on, Clark! You know what would have happened if we had let him do what he suggested. Or didnīt you hear what Lana told us about that experimental procedure?” she answered, trying to control the emotions and images of an infant Alexander which kept popping into her mind.

“Chloe, you could have died, “ he reproached her.

“You donīt know that. Last time I did OK, didnīt I? “ she asked with the ghost of a smile.

“Last time you werenīt dead for eighteen hours.”

“Well, it was worth it, wasnīt it? I got Kara and Loisī location. “

“Yes, but... I donīt understand... after everything heīs done to you and... “

“Clark... I still donīt know why Iīve been chosen to have such an extraordinary gift; but it was my decision to make. He might be a jerk sometimes... OK... most of the times lately... but I simply couldnīt have someoneīs death on my conscience knowing I could have done something about it. I wish I hadnīt been saddled with this īpowerī. Itīs amazing, but too big a responsibility to handle. We arenīt God, Clark.”

“I know... Itīs just that... when I saw him lying on that bed in hospital , I... “ he stuttered, lowering his head in shame,” I... shouldnīt have felt this, but... for a minute there, I thought he had got what he deserved. After everything heīs put Lana through... “ he continued, shaking his head.

Chloeīs breathing hitched as the Princessī name slipped through Clarkīs lips. He had always been blinded by his love for the brunette, a fact which had been a constant source of sorrow and pain for Chloe during her high school years. She had envied and hated the prom queen in equal measure half of her life until that fateful summer when Chloe decided to bury the hatch after she realised her feelings for Clark had been nothing but a deep crush. In recent years, Chloe had seen things in Clarkīs eternal flame which made her feel uncomfortable; however, she had decided to cut Lana some slack based on her own animosity towards Lex. Funny how things could change drastically over the course of a few hours.

“We only know half of the story, Clark,” she responded, drying the dishes and stacking them on a shelf.” What?” she frowned, noticing Clarkīs puzzled look.

“What happened in that hospital room?” he asked gravely, making her turn to face him.

“I sneaked into the room, checked out nobody was watching, approached his bed, touched him and... you know the rest,” she shrugged her shoulders, forcing her eyes to hold his questioning gaze without wavering.

“In order to get Lois and Karaīs location you had to do something other than just touch him.”

“Look, Clark. Iīm new to this. My educated guess is it must have taken you a while to master your powers... to be able to control them. I simply touched him, OK? I canīt tell you anything about the dynamics of it all. Gee! We saved my cousin and yours, isnīt that enough?” she snapped, feeling the pricking of tears behind her eyelids.

“Chloe, you canīt blame me for getting worried. After all, itīs Lex weīre talking about, and Iīve never seen you this agitated.”

“Thatīs what eighteen hours dead does to you, Clark,” she retorted ironically. “Donīt worry. Touching Lex hasnīt contaminated me. Iīll be as fit as a fiddle in no time.”

“Chloe, I know youīre hiding something from me. Why did you just say we know half of the story?”

“Thereīs nothing unusual about my assertion. All of us know that there are two sides to any story. Donīt try to look for any hidden meaning in my words, Clark. Now, if youīll excuse me, Iīd like to have a shower and grab something to eat.”

“OK, “ said Clark resigned.”Weīll let it rest for a while.”

“No, Clark. Weīll let it rest for good,” she told him tilting up her chin.

“Have you ever thought what would have happened if I hadnīt super-sped you out of that room when I did?”

“What matterīs that you did take me away, Clark. Why worry about the what-ifs?”

“And whatīll happen next time, Chloe? Have you ever stopped to think about that? Are you planning to use your power again?”

“I honestly donīt know, Clark. Iīm just glad you were there when I needed you. Now, go,” she shooed him away.

“Iīll tell Lois youīre opening this afternoon, if itīs all right with you. I donīt think Iīll be able to retain her for too long with the story I concocted,” he smiled, looking at her cocked eyebrow."Ant invasion?” he added with a twist of his lips.

“Right,” she smiled back.”Donīt worry about me, Clark; I donīt. I just want to get back to my life and forget the last couple of weeks... or months, whatever.”

“You know you can talk to me, right?” he said warmly, grabbing her gently by the arms.

Chloe looked at her oldest friend with fondness and simply hugged him back. For years he had kept his secret locked away and, now, he was keeping hers too. However, she just didnīt feel ready to share everything with him when it came to her latest `supernatural` experience, particularly when the third party involved was Lex. There was no love lost between the two young men and Lana was a big portion of the trouble. Moreover, while fifteen-year-old Clark might have been ready to give Lex the benefit of the doubt, there was too much history between them, and the young adult he now was had been too much influenced by Jonathan Kentīs ways to change his opinion about Lionel Luthorīs first-born. Hell, if she hadnīt put aside all the resentment she felt for the way Lex had treated her in the last four years, she wouldnīt have tried her powers on him and she would still think very much like Clark.

`Well, Sullivan, get your butt in gear. Life goes on and feeling pity- or whatever it is youīre feeling for the bald billionaire right now- or even worse, doing something about it... will just make your life more complex than it already is,ī Chloe told herself as she opened her wardrobe and picked a change of clothes. `You have to put this behind you and go on as if nothing had happened,` she tried to convince herself. `Yeah, who are you kidding? Nothingīll be the same.ī

CHAPTER 3: DONīT LEAVE ME

LUTHOR MANSION

The moment the limo parked on the driveway of the mansion and the chauffeur stepped out to open the door for his employer, Lex experienced a sudden bout of dizziness and a pull on his chest as if something were fighting to get free. He closed his eyes and tried to concentrate on his breathing as he clenched his fists to control the pain that was ripping his insides.

“Goodbye, Alex, “ murmured a feminine voice laced with concern before he opened his eyes in bewilderment and the frantic pumping of his heart started to slow down.

“Sir?” asked the chauffeur with a frown when he saw the lost look on his masterīs face. “Sir?” he insisted.

Lex unclenched his fists and, swallowing the lump in his throat, pulled up his left cuff to check the time on his Napoleon-franc watch. Two-oh-five.

“Are you feeling all right, Mr Luthor? I can drive you back to the medical centre, sir” said the worried employee.

“Iīm fine, Johnson. Iīve been through a lot this last twenty-four hours. I just need to rest; thatīs all,” responded Lex with the ghost of a smile as he started to get out of the limo.” You can take the day off. I wonīt be needing you, at least, until tomorrow.”

“OK, sir. Iīll take the limo to the garage then,” replied the chauffeur, shutting the door and making his way around the vehicle to the driverīs side.

Lex climbed up the front steps of the castle and walked through the polished mahogany door his British butler was keeping open for him.

“Good afternoon, sir. Itīs good to see you back in one piece, “ the dignified servant greeted him.

“Thanks, James. Iīll go up to my room to freshen up. Would you prepare a tray for me and take it to the study? I havenīt eaten lunch today.”

“Hospital food wasnīt up to your standards, sir? “ said the middle-aged man with twist of his lips.

“Mashed pumpkin and artificially-flavoured jello isnīt my idea of gourmet cooking, “replied Lex with a smirk.

“Of course not, sir. Iīll see what we can put together,” came the butlerīs response as Lex started to climb up the staircase to the first floor.

In the privacy of his bedroom Lex kicked off his shoes and, taking off his jacket, started to unbutton his dress shirt and unbuckle his belt. He had stripped down to his underwear when his reflection on the full-length mirror made him stop. Only a couple of already greenish bruises bore witness to what had happened the previous night. He touched his old scars with careful fingers- the long one on his flank from two Christmases ago and the one of the stabbing at Club Zero were the scars he spent more time retracing. They were reminders of two decisive moments in his life, moments which had changed the course of history... his own history.

Lex approached the mirror and leant forward to observe his forehead closely. He raised his left hand and gingerly touched the spot where the bullet had pierced the flesh, drilled the frontal bone and started its trajectory through his brain- only there was no physical trace of it, no proof of his fateful encounter in that Detroit scrap yard. A mere couple of bruises, which he knew for certain would have disappeared by the time he woke up the following morning, werenīt reminder enough of what had happened to him before coming out of the coma. He couldnīt remember the last eighteen hours, but any doubt he might have had about its all being a dream had vanished five minutes ago in the limo. He had heard `herī voice, and a fleeting image of himself- twenty years younger, standing in the middle of a dark corridor- had taken him unawares. `Donīt leave me, ī his childish voice had said. `Goodbye, Alex, ī had responded a warm feminine voice charged with regret and something Lex couldnīt pinpoint.

Lillian had begged him to stop looking for answers and he knew itīd be a hard struggle when every bone in his body told him to look for clues in his mind, clues that could lead him to the truth and to that being of light who had pulled him out of the coma and healed his latest injuries.

He stepped under the shower and welcomed the feel of hot water running down his coiled-up muscles- he could use a relaxing massage to relieve the tension which had worsened the months prior to his wedding to Lana. He closed his eyes in an effort to chase away the pain of betrayal and disappointment that overwhelmed him every time he put his defences down. He tried out one of the breathing techniques heīd been taught while recovering from his hellish experience as a castaway; only this time his efforts to empty his mind backfired.

Lex planted both hands on the tiled wall in front of him to steady himself as an overload of disconnected and rapid-fire images popped into his mind- Julian dead in his crib; taking the blame for his baby brotherīs death; Lionel manhandling Lillian; getting poisoned by his dad; Duncanīs accidental death; slapping Lanaīs face the day she walked out on him and then... warmth and... laughter... his laughter and someone elseīs... . He tried to remember what his motherīs laughter sounded like, but he was too stressed out. There hadnīt been much laughter in his life, and the only times he remembered smiling- truly smiling not just putting on a practised smirk- had been when Lionel was abroad on business and Lex spent the holidays with his mum on their ranch in Montana, and the times he had visited Chloe during her exile.

`Donīt leave me, īechoed a childish voice in his head, and Lex opened his eyes again panting.

He took a minute to stabilise his breathing and then, turned off the tap before coming out of the stall to dry and change into a pair of black trousers and a light-blue dress shirt. As he finished buttoning up he looked at himself in the mirror above the washbasin. His complexion seemed paler than usual, and his eyes had lost that cold intensity he had got used to seeing every day in the looking-glass; there was something in their depths which hadnīt been there in a long time- `hope ī, a flickering light the world had done its best to crush.

`Iīll always be there. ī

THE TALON- 5.30 p.m.

The coffee shop had opened its doors half an hour before, in time for the regular influx of patrons that swarmed on Friday afternoons, when school was over for the week and Smallvilleīs teenagers hung out with their friends to make plans for Saturday evening. The house was packed, and Lois- who was earning a few extra bucks waiting on tables and controlling the till- had her hands full behind the counter as she filled orders, charged the customers and supervised the waitresses without aid.

“Hey, Darleen! “called out General Laneīs eldest daughter. “I need to step away for a few minutes. Could you take these two orders to the booths at the back?” she asked one of the waitresses.

“Sure, Miss Lane ,” responded the twenty-something, grabbing the tray that Lois had left on the counter.

“Thanks. Youīre a doll, “ sighed the exhausted brunette.” I want to check on my cuz, “ She added, locking the till.

Chloe was cooped up in the apartment and hadnīt come down to drink her habitual jumbo cup of mocha with a piece of pecan and chocolate pie. It was not like her to remain immune to the enticing smell of caffeine wafting up from the coffee house, and Clarkīs clumsy cloak-and-dagger routine had piqued Loisī interest even more. Lois knew her younger cousin well enough to be able to tell when she was using her beaming smile to cover up what she was actually feeling.

“A frothy cup of java and a piece of this freshly-baked pie will do the trick,” murmured Lois, replacing the cover to keep the pastry fresh. `Shoot! Whatīs cue ball doing here? He collects freaks at 33.1, but he sure is the weirdest of them all. How the heck did he survive that shooting? Oh, no, mister! You arenīt getting closer to Kara again if I have anything to say in the matter, rambled Lois to herself.ī

Zor-Elīs only daughter was sitting alone at a small table, sipping a tall glass of orange juice and listening to her favourite song on her MP3 player, when the patrician, bald man she had met at the coffee shop in Detroit materialised in front of her.

“Hey!” she smiled, removing the earphones and inviting him to sit down.

“I hope Iīm not interrupting,” he responded warmly.

“You are not. I was just trying to reacquaint with myself, if that makes any sense,” she fidgeted, looking into his blue-grey eyes with the ghost of a smile.

“I know the feeling,” he answered, holding her baby-blues and wondering if he was strong enough to resist the temptation to pursue his original plan.” Any luck so far?”

“No,” she shook her head.” Lois and Clark seem nice people but... .”

“Look, I know I told you Iīd help you... and I donīt intend to back down... but I believe the best way to...” he began, leaning forward.

“What are you doing here, Mr Luthor?” glared Lois.

“The last time I checked I was co-owner of this coffee shop, and your employer, Miss Lane. By the way, Iīm glad to see youīre all right. It seems weīre both made of resilient stuff,” he smirked.

“Yeah... well...” she fumed. “Can I have a word with you?”

“You might not have noticed it, but I was in the middle of a conversation when you made your presence known,” he cocked an eyebrow.” Why donīt you take that tray away before someone complains? Iīll be right up,” he added, curving a smile when he saw the volatile brunette boil.” Now, Miss Kent, where were we?”

“Kara,” smiled the blonde teenager, stealing a glance at Chloeīs cousin.

Lois gripped the tray tighter and tried to control her temper, telling herself not only her roof but her position at The Planet were at stake if she dared alienate LuthorCorpīs CEO. Sheīd have to find the moment to talk to the amnesiac girl alone.

Shooting a murderous last glance at the coldly urbane billionaire, General Laneīs daughter made her way to the stairs which led to the apartment above.

“As I was saying... I believe the best thing for you to do now is to be around family and people who care about you.”

“What about the treatment you suggested in Detroit?” she frowned.

“The mindīs a very complex mechanism thatīs better left alone, Kara. Iīve been both a willing and an unwilling lab rat. Iīm still missing several weeks of my life courtesy of my dad. Believe me, Kara, I know whatīs like to want to remember only to come up against a brick wall,” he responded gravely. “Desperation can lead to making decisions which you might come to regret later on.”

“But you said the procedure was harmless,” she insisted.

”Not even the best precautions can prevent something from going wrong and, if something were to happen to you during the procedure, I would never forgive myself,” he responded passionately.

Kara eyed him with a puzzled look on her face and the billionaire took a deep breath before resuming his discourse.

“I know you donīt remember it, but you saved my life a few months ago and, for that, Iīm eternally indebted to you. Whatīs more, itīs always been my policy to protect those who have been nice to me and- in your case- it was more than not giving me the cold shoulder. As you must have noticed, neither my kin nor I are well-regarded in this community. Friends are a luxury no amount of money can buy and the ones I had... well... letīs just say one of them died at a very young age and the other one... he gave up on me.”

“Why?”

"Iīm afraid itīs too complex an issue to discuss over a cup of coffee. Besides, I wouldnīt like to burden you with my problems, you already have your plate full as it is. Iīve got to take care of something now; Iīll leave you to your music.”

“Lex?” she started to get up, stretching an arm to detain him.

“Youīll be OK, Kara. You couldnīt have a better family than the Kents. I wish I had been that lucky.”

“Iīm scared,” she murmured.

“You can count on me if you need someone to talk to. You know where to find me, but Iīve got a feeling your cousin Clarkīll be much more adequate than me to help you sort out your identity,” he replied, standing next to the table and squeezing her arm gently.

“Can I ask you a question?” she said in a low voice not to attract the patronsī attention.

“Sure, if itīs in my power to answer it,” he smirked.

“Yesterday... when you tried to rescue us... you were... I saw him pull the trigger... Lois and I saw you lying on the ground... with a bullet in the middle of your brow... How...?”

“Iīm afraid thatīs a question for God- if you happen to believe in him,” he responded with the ghost of a smile.

“You havenīt got a scratch,” she added, squinting and raising a hand to touch his forehead.

“When you have lived as long as I have in this town, you learn anything is possible... even the most bizarre,” he acknowledged.

“But we werenīt in Smallville. And... I know what I saw...”

“Iīm as baffled as you are, Kara, but Iīve learnt along the way that trying to get all the answers can lead you to very dangerous places- dark paths you swore youīd never tread. It became an obsession for me, and obsession is a double-edged weapon- it can prove to be the way to greatness when it pushes you to achieve things no one has ever dared dream of but it can also be your doom,” he explained gravely.

“But arenīt you a tad curious about it? I mean youīve survived a fatal injury. “

“Curious? Of course, Iīm curious. And, believe me, thereīs a part of me which wants to find out the truth about what happened in Detroit yesterday. Iīve searched for answers all my life, Kara, lived for the thrill of the quest until I became the man Iīd sworn Iīd never be,” he told her passionately.

“Itīs hard being you, isnīt it?” she said sympathetically.

“A manīs born into his life, but itīs up to him what he chooses to do with it. Iīve been misunderstood, misjudged and betrayed many times in my life by people I cared about, but there are lots of things I wish I had done differently. Iīve been given another chance and I intend to make the most of it. I know it must be frightening not knowing who you are, and where you come from, but listen to a pro: Take this amnesia of yours as a clean slate, an opportunity to start afresh.”

“Why would I want to start afresh? I had a life before this happened to me,” she whined.” Do you know something you arenīt telling me?” she added, cocking an eyebrow.

“Talk to your cousin, Kara. I wonīt interfere in Kent business again. I admired your uncle a lot but he was never able to see beyond my name, and Clarkīs turned out to be a lot like Jonathan. Donīt get me wrong- heīs a nice kid, but he doesnīt think too much of me right now. I wouldnīt like to make matters worse for either you or me. Trust me, everythingīll be sorted out if you get him to be straight with you. Although we were close friends once, he never really trusted me. Still, youīre family and, somehow, I believe thatīll make the difference.”

“Youīre talking in riddles, Lex. Iīm more confused now than when you crossed that door,” she frowned.

“Clark Kentīs an enigma Iīve wanted to unravel ever since I set foot in this town. Donīt let the farm boy appearance fool you, Kara; heīs much more interesting than he seems.”

“More than you are?” she smirked.

“I should be flattered, I guess. Donīt say that in front of your Clark, though, or Iīll have him barging in my study crying havoc,” he smiled smugly. “Itīs been nice seeing you again, Kara. Take care.”

“You too, Lex. I hope youīll find what youīre looking for,” she responded warmly.

“So do I,” he smiled back.

CHAPTER 4:Requests

THE APARTMENT ABOVE THE TALON- 5.40 p.m.

Chloe was stretched out on the sofa- her body propped up against some colourful cushions she had bought at a hippie fair in Metropolis last summer- when Lois entered carrying a tray with two smoky cups of coffee and some pie.

The blonde reporter wrapped her body in the duvet she had grabbed off the bed and blew her nose with the last tissue left in the box. She wished Lois had knocked at the door before walking on a very private moment. Chloe berated herself for her stupidity- she should have locked the door to keep everyone away.

“Hi, Chloī! Iīve brought you some coffee and a piece of your favourite pie,” smiled Lois as she set the stuff down on the coffee table.” You donīt look well. How are you?” she frowned, observing her cousinīs puffy nose and red-rimmed eyes.

“Donīt look at me that way, Loī. Itīs just a damn cold or something. Iīll be up and about tomorrow morning,” she said, clearing her voice.

“You havenīt answered your phone since yesterday and, when I asked Clark about you, he darted glances all over the place and babbled some stupid answer,” responded the elder cousin, watching Chloe take a few sips of her coffee with her eyes closed.

“Donīt blame him, Loī. He was just doing what he thought was best. He knows what youīre like... Look at the way youīre fussing over me because of a stupid cold,” exclaimed the snarky blonde, folding the screen of her laptop to prevent Lois from snooping into what sheīd been researching.

“Donīt lie to me, Chloe. I can smell something rotten here. Come on, cuz, spit it out. I really donīt feel like beating around the bush. Iīve already had cue ball dismiss me like a stupid kid,” she glared, pacing up and down the room.

“Lex?” gulped Chloe, scalding her throat with the hot coffee.

“Yes, Lazarus. Heīs a f*cking freak, thatīs what he is and a constant pain in the butt. If he werenīt the owner of The Planet, heīd have to hear me out,” she fumed not noticing the sudden pallor on Chloeīs face. “Iīve never understood it. How come heīs allowed you to stay here after everything youīve written against him and everything heīs done to you and your mum? And... youīve never said anything about moving out. Itīs been more than a year, Chloī” replied the brunette, sitting down on the sofa.

“Getting an apartment in Metropolis- one I could afford with a rookieīs salary- isnīt that easy, Lois. Besides... Lex isnīt the only owner of The Talon,” said Chloe, pinching the fork in the pecan pie.

“Yeah, right. Letīs not forget Clarkīs fairytale princess,” said Lois snidely.
    “By the way, have you noticed anything amiss between those two lately? This morning you could cut the air with a knife around them,” she prodded on while Chloe zoned out.

Why had Lex allowed her to move in and make her home in that apartment after Black Thursday? Well, sheīd had several theories- none of which had prepared her for the answer she got while being in Lexīs mind; it was a response which changed everything. As to the reason for her accepting Lanaīs offer to live above The Talon knowing Lex was co-owner of the property, Chloeīd never dared stop to analyse it. Although sheīd never been afraid to dig up the truth and face the consequences, this was one truth her rational half found hard to handle. That summer, four years ago, she thought there could be no greater pain than having her best friend and secret crush choose Lana over her time and time again. How naïve sheīd been! She hadnīt been prepared for what was to come next.

“Chloī, are you listening to me?” Lois interrupted the blondeīs musings when she realised her cousin was staring at the door of the apartment. “Chloī? “ she insisted, stretching an arm to brush a few strands of fair hair off Chloeīs face. “Sweetie, whatīs wrong?”

Lex reached the first floor determined to face the person whose enmity he had cemented four years ago when fate had shown its ugliest face and he had been forced to hurt them both. It hadnīt been an easy decision but he had been left no option. No, at that moment, he cursed Lionel Luthor and thanked God for having spared him any additional guilt.

He walked purposefully to the door of the apartment, which had once been inhabited by the woman heīd thought could fill the void Chloe had left, give him what heīd never be able to have with Clarkīs best friend. He raised his left hand and, after a split-second hesitation, knocked on the door.

“Damn! “ exclaimed Lois through clenched teeth.” I forgot cue ball said heīd be up in a few minutes. I canīt pretend Iīm not here, Chloī, heīs seen me climbing up with the tray. If youīd rather...” she continued in a concerned voice.

“Itīs OK, Loī. The sooner we hear what heīs got to say the sooner heīll be on his way,” Chloe cut her off with a small smile and an assumed calmness she was far from feeling.

“Mr Luthor, “ responded a collected Chloe, standing up from the sofa not to give him the advantage of speaking to her from a vantage point.

“Are you OK?” he asked, noticing the ashen paleness of her freckled
    complexion.

“Iīm fine, thanks. Iīve caught a twenty-four-hour bug or something. To what do we owe the honour of your visit?” she told him, making an effort to hold the look of his intense blue-grey eyes, which she knew were almost all-seeing.

“Well, Iīll make it brief,” he replied, slipping his left hand inside the overcoat and taking out some folded legal papers which he handed over to Chloe.

“Whatīs this?” frowned the blonde reporter, grabbing them with a frown.

“Eviction papers, Luthor?”snapped Lois, rushing to her cousinīs side to take a peek at the documents.

“On the contrary, Miss Lane. Itīs a deed of property in your name, Chloe. Iīm transferring the ownership of the building to you and...” he added, extracting an envelope, “Iīm also giving you my share in this business.”

“What are you trying to do, Luthor? Buy her off?” hissed Lois.

“Loī,” Chloe cut her off with a pleading look in her eyes,” let me handle this. Could you... could you give us a few moments alone, please?”

“But Chloe, donīt you see...?” the brunette pressed on.

“Lois, I donīt need you or anyone to speak for me. I appreciate your intention, but if youīll excuse us, I want to have a word with Lex alone, “ Chloe said to Lois, gently pushing her out of the room.

“All right, cuz. Weīll talk after closing time,” she complied, shooting a warning glance at Lex, who responded with a cocked eyebrow and a smug smile.”Mr Luthor,” she bid him goodbye coldly.

“Miss Lane,” he answered smoothly,” Iīm looking forward to reading that article youīve been working on. Grant had faith in your reporter skills and I hope youīll prove him right. I must say I was somewhat sceptical when he sang his praises judging by what I had seen thus far. Still, Chloeīs one of the most promising journalists in the business and her blood runs through your veins... Iīm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.”

`One of the most promising, eh? Is that why you fired her?ī Those were the lines Lois would have liked to utter, but she knew they might cost her her own job at The Planet so instead she toned them a little bit down. “ If this an attempt to win me over, Luthor... “ she replied with the hand on the doorknob.

“Loī, “ Chloe interrupted her with a shake of her head to show her it was high time she held her tongue.

“OK, the`muffin peddlerī is on her way out,” sighed Chloeīs cousin, hearing Lexīs chuckle as the apartment door was shut firmly behind her.

The minute General Laneīs eldest daughter had stepped out of the flat Lex felt the atmosphere suddenly change. He looked at Chloeīs back and let his eyes roam over her until they reached her shoulders and her soft nape; she was visibly tense and he was aware he was the one to blame. Still, something felt different somehow as if the wall they had both erected between the two had started to crack.

“Chloe?” he said quietly when he couldnīt stand the silence any longer.

The young woman felt him get closer as she stood by the window with her back to him, trying to control her throbbing heart and the overwhelming urge to cry. No, everything wasnīt all right, and she feared what he might ask- she, who had never let anything stand in her way to get to the truth, now couldnīt handle everything that had been revealed to her when her essence had transferred itself to the man sheīd learnt to hate in recent years.

Although she had got many answers, she had also been bombarded with questions that haunted her- questions she wanted replied but, at the same time, feared to ask.

“Why?” she whispered, blinking her eyes to chase away a couple of treacherous tears.”Why are you doing this now, Lex?” she added with a firmer voice.

“Itīs my imperfect way to say `Iīm sorryī. I know that a lifetime might not be enough to compensate you for what Iīve put you through, Chloe. I thought this could be a first step... giving you something youīre attached to,” he responded, swallowing the lump in his throat.

“Then Lois was right. This is a bribe,” she said, finally finding the courage to turn around and face him.

“It could be interpreted as such. Iīd like to see it as an olive branch. Coffeeīs always been the safest way to your heart,” he smiled faintly.

“The Lex Luthor we all know would have offered me something more valuable to me.”

“Your old job at The Planet? I thought of it but then, I turned down the idea; you would have thrown my Luthor grand gesture in the face. For all your independence youīre still a traditional girl- you wouldnīt have taken back the job if it had entailed being regarded as the bossī whore by your co-workers.”

`- ... Iīve always known, Lillian. Did you think you could hide something this big from me for ever?

- What are you going to do now, Lionel?

- Do? Oh, I know exactly what Iīm going to do!

- I want a divorce.

- Do you think Iīll let you walk away from me, Lillian?

- I donīt love you.

- But you love your son, and youīd do anything to protect him, right?

- What do you want from me?

- You know what I want, Lillian. Weīve discussed it a lot lately.

- I canīt. I wonīt.

- You will or Lex will know what kind of a mother he has.

- If I do this... will you promise to leave him alone?

- For now...

-Bastard! Heīs an innocent child. What has he done to you?

- Wrong question, my dear. You know what the problem is and thereīs only one way to fix it.

- Let me go, Lionel. Let us both go. I donīt want a divorce settlement. Just give me my freedom and you wonīt have to see either of us again. Youīll be single again; free to take a new wife.

- And what will you do? Run to him? Iīm afraid itīs too late for that. What? Surprised? Oh, I know who he is.

“Chloe? Chloe?” Lex called her insistently, shaking her gently.

“What? “ she answered weakly, coming out of her trance and trying to focus her eyes on Lex.

“Are you sure youīre all right? You seemed to be miles away from here, “ he frowned, seeing the racing pulse on her neck and feeling his own heart starting to hammer as he grudgingly removed his hands from her shoulders.

“Iīm fine,” she told him, taking a couple of steps away from him.” What do you want from me, Lex?”

“A second chance,” he told her gravely, boring his blue-grey eyes into her.

“A lot of water has run under the bridge. You canīt buy someoneīs forgiveness, Lex,” she responded, biting her lower lip. It was turning out to be really hard to maintain the coldness which had characterised their relationship in the past four years, but she told herself she couldnīt give in so easily or he might start to suspect. Although Chloe knew he wanted to earn her trust, Lex would expect for it not to come easy. “I canīt accept this,” she added, giving him back the deed and the legal papers transferring her the shares.

“Chloe,” he began with a flash of hurt in his eyes.

“I really donīt know why youīve allowed me to stay here for so long. Hell, I canīt even explain to myself why I havenīt moved out yet.”

“We were... maybe not friends... but partners once, Chloe. After what happened on Black Thursday I felt responsible. It was the least I could do.”

“Are you sure that was the reason? You had another chance to do things right after the Zod debacle and you blew it- you got even more driven and obsessed. Iīve been burnt too many times by the Luthors to believe so readily in miraculous transformations.”

“Iīm not my father,” Lex told her gravely.

“Well... you could have fooled me these last years, Lex. There was a time I saw something in you that gave me hope- that told me you were different from him, but you did everything in your power to crush that glimmer of hope.”

“I made countless mistakes in my past. I wonīt beg, Chloe. Iīve knelt down and crawled too many times in my life. I just wanted to do something for you, considering how much Iīve hurt you and those close to you. I know it wonīt be easy to believe this time will be any different, but Iīm planning to make the most of the opportunity Iīve been given. Iīd like for you to be part of my life... Clarkīs a very lucky guy to have you as his friend and I wish I could call you `myī friend sometime too. However, if that isnīt in the cards... “

“ You said you wanted to do something for me,” she cut him off, crossing her arms in front of her. She was going to ask him for it; there had been a moment a year ago when she had almost done it, when sheīd even considered offering herself in whatever capacity he wanted her- as a guinea pig, as a minion or as someone to warm his bed.

“Name it.”

“If you say `yesī, you wonīt erase the past but Iīd be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt... My mum... I want to talk to her again.”

“Youīre asking the wrong billionaire, Chloe. We both know you and Clark asked Oliver to find her treatment.”

“Her state hasnīt changed. LuthorCorpīs the only corporation which has the technology to help her, Lex.”

“Iīm dismantling 33.1, Chloe.”

“But you still got the serum, right?”

“Thereīs no proof the cureīll last for ever and the long-term side-effects arenīt known. Youīve seen what refined meteor rock can do to a person...”

“You didnīt have so many qualms when you submitted her to the treatment last year,” she spat at him through clenched teeth.

“I can provide you with the drug, Chloe, if thatīs what you want, but...”

“I need to talk with her once more, Lex,” she cut him off.” Or is there something she knows you donīt want her to share with me?”

“Iīm just concerned about you. If the drug doesnīt work indefinitely, are you ready to lose her all over again?” he responded, clenching his fists deep in his pocket.

“Send the serum to Queen, Lex, and donīt worry about me. Iīll deal with the consequences myself.”

“All right. Suit yourself,” he shrugged resignedly.

Lex would give her more than just the serum; he owed it to her. `Todayīs another day,ī he told himself; deciding it was high time he started getting rid of assets heīd acquired with the idea of controlling and manipulating those who were meddling in LuthorCorp business.

Chloe thought she might be closer to getting some answers. The question now was, would she be ready to accept them?

tbc
    Last edited by lexie; 13th August 2010 at 01:45.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) Jan.13th, 2009

A very interesting beginning--can't wait to see what happens next
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

That was a long read but a great start. I can't wait to see what happens next.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Lexie, the first chapter is positively melodic, You've done such a wonderful job with lex's emotions and conflict he experiencing. You do such a terrific job with dialog between the characters. I like how you write Lois. I'm so glad you continued with this story Dagney

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Kit, Hope and Sherry, thanks for being the courageous ones to sit and read this through; and- most importantly- for leaving me feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by dagney View Post
    Lexie, the first chapter is positively melodic, You've done such a wonderful job with lex's emotions and conflict he experiencing. You do such a terrific job with dialog between the characters. I like how you write Lois. I'm so glad you continued with this story Dagney
    Youīve made my day, Sherry. I was so worried about this posting. On the one hand, I was itching to start sharing it now that itīs finished on paper but, on the other hand, I was doubtful as to how many chapters to post. My first thought was to give you just two, but I considered it wouldnīt be enough to capture the readersī interest because: 1)thereīs no Chlex in the first two chapters; 2)thereīs a good amount of introspection; 3)readers might get the "deceiving" impression I havenīt included anything they didnīt already know. Thatīs why I made up my mind to post an extra two chapters to arrive at the Chlex and to give you an important piece of information in the form of a memory/flashback. An extra reason for the double posting- I wonīt be able to update it in two weeks.

This fic will be filled with hidden clues, twists and quite a few surprises- I loved writing it and I can promise my readers the really good stuff is coming if youīre patient and wait until the following update.

Thanks for reading and commenting, despite the daunting length of this first instalment.
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 18:03.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

I like the beginning of this. I think there has to be something else up with Lex though to give in just like that. And I can't imagine that Chloe would quite trust him right off the bat. I see some more interesting tense points coming soon.

Wow... This was a great couple of chapters's lexie!

I am really intrigued to find out what exactly Chloe saw when she healed Lex... It must be something big for her to be so worked-up about it, to change how she feels about him now, after all he put her through. I'm loving all the mystery and suspense though.

I loved the scene with Lex and Lillian's ghost at the hospital... it was wonderfuly emotional. *sniffles* But I can't help but be anxious for answers about Lillian's secret. I know, I know, I am going to have to be patient. lol

I can't wait to find out why Chloe so desperately wants to talk to her mother now. Does it have something to do with Lillian's secret? If so, what and why does Chloe's mom know something? More questions dammit!!!! lol

Anyways, This story is amazing so far... I look forward to reading more in the future!!

A very interesting and promising start of your new story!

Can't wait to read more!

Sooooo...... I want loads and loads updates!

...... please!
    Last edited by Tanschana; 14th January 2009 at 19:06. Reason: I've got to put more attention to my spelling!! Baad Tanja!
    Come join the dark side. We have cookies.
    Yumm!
    Annnnnd Lex Luther!!!
    Double Yummmmmmmm!!

Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!
    - Matt Frewer

NS Full Member

I really like the premise of this. The angle with Chloe's mother and Lex's control of that serum is one I at least haven't seen really explored (Though I'm obviously still catching up on all the great fic here).

I do like Lex's introspection and his effort to fight his insistent need for answers (is he going to backslide on that? Oh please let him backslide just a little. An unquesting Lex is only half a Lex). The one comment I have is I've got to admit I miss the sarcasm and double-edged statements. I'm not quite sure what to make of forthright Lex yet.

Fan Artist, Fanfic Lover Senior Member Esther25jm's Avatar

Awesome, Lexie!! I love these first few chapters and can't wait for some more!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information