+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NS Monthly Challenge - #11 July 2010 - "Competition" - PG stories

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

NS Monthly Challenge - #11 July 2010 - "Competition" - PG stories

As always, a big thank you to everyone who participate in these challenges!

This time only two entries arrived, so there won't be any voting, but of course I'll post up the entries

Story #1
    Story #2
    Last edited by Julie; 31st August 2010 at 19:15.

Re: NS Monthly Challenge - #11 July 2010 - "Competition" - PG stories

Story 1: Know Thy Enemy

Literally hours of planning had gone into tomorrow’s almost-definite victory.

Lex Luthor refused to be beaten, and the best way to win any battle was to be prepared, to know thy enemy. It wasn’t so very hard to get the information he needed, after all he was a rich man with power and connections too. A word in the right ear, a few dollars into the right hands, and the facts and figures he needed came flowing like water into his grasp.

Everyone had a weakness, an Achilles heel. Of the dozen men he was most likely to face, at least half had an easily exploited flaw. As for the rest, he had plans a plenty to see them fall, literally or otherwise, leaving him the rightful victor. There was no question of losing, there never had been with Lex and never would be.

There was little in the world that this man had craved and not eventually won. His wife was living testament to such a statement and a smile came to his lips as Lex thought on it. His eyes drifted to the photograph in the corner of his desk, never invisible even in the darkness of the office so late in the evening.

Somehow even in a picture such as this, Chloe never failed to shine. A million terrible clichés could be applied from ‘eyes like stars’ to ‘a golden waterfall of beautiful blonde hair’, but no such poetry did her justice. Far from only looks, Chloe was as smart and quick-witted as Lex himself, and their daughter was set to be her mother’s equal in all things.

For so long, Lex had wanted to rule the world, now he wanted to give it to his family, his two precious girls. Every competition was to be won in their honour, every victory specifically for their pleasure. The thought of them concentrated his mind like nothing else and Lex went back to his paperwork, pouring over details he would need for tomorrow’s event.

It would all look fairly sinister to anyone who surveyed the scene, a man alone in his office, darkness surrounding him inspite of the fact it was a Summer’s evening and not so very late yet. Even as he was somewhat relaxed, his shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, tie removed, and a whiskey glass in his hand, there was no doubt that Lex Luthor meant business here tonight.

Of course this had nothing to do with his actual work. He wasn’t plotting a takeover, planning which staff to fire or even scare. There were no death threats to be made or people to manipulate out of money, property, or power. This was all fairly simple, basic for a man like Lex Luthor, but it also had to be a secret. Chloe would never understand, at least he doubted she would, hence his attempts at secrecy. Unfortunately, it seemed he had over-estimated how busy she was tonight...

“Lex, what on Earth are you doing?” his wife asked as she let herself into the office and closed the door behind her.

“Nothing interesting” he replied, forcing a smile as he pulled together the sheaf of papers that had been spread across his desk and attempted to shove them in a drawer.

Through some feat of inhuman speed, or so Lex thought, Chloe was beside him before he ever had a chance to conceal the evidence of his crime. The look on her face as she pulled the pages from his grasp and looked them over was just exactly the one he had expected, and feared if he were honest, though he would never admit such a thing.

“Lex” she said, clearly unimpressed, perhaps even appalled, “I thought we talked about this” she reminded him, her eyes looking angry even though her tone remained even.

“I told you when we decided to get married, Chloe” he told her, “I can’t change the person I am. I will always need to be the best at everything I do, not just for myself, but for you, and Lilly”

Chloe wanted to be mad at him, she ought to be really, but somehow she found it impossible. He was only trying to be the best husband and moreover the best father that he could be. He didn’t know any better than the need to win at everything, to prove his worth over and over as his own father had taught him too well.

“Lex” his wife sighed this time, dropping the paperwork back onto his desk and reaching up to put her arms around his neck, “I do understand what kind of man you are, and I never wanted you to change” she promised him, “but you have to stop being so extreme about this” she said, her eyes straying to the papers on the desk a moment then returning to meet his, “Lilly won’t think any less of you if you come second, or third, or even last” she assured him, “She just wants to see her Daddy taking part for her”

Lex knew she was right, she was always right, it was one of the things he loved about her and at the same time made him what to scream with frustration. Unfortunately, not even Chloe could change the fact that her husband would never be satisfied with second and would certainly not allow himself to be last in anything. His eyes straying to the papers on the table gave him away and Chloe sighed from her place there in his arms.

“Lex” she said firmly making him meet her eyes, “It’s a fathers’ egg and spoon race at an elementary school Summer picnic” she reminded him, hoping to inject some sanity back into his competition-filled mind, “It is not a takeover bid, or the world series, or a fight to the death. Okay?”

“I know” he smiled as they shared a kiss, clearly his best attempt to convince her he would let this go without actually making any promises.

Chloe wasn’t stupid, she knew this was distraction tactics, but she would let it go. It really wasn’t worth a fight when all he was trying to do was make their daughter happy and proud of him.

Besides, Chloe already knew the only real competition tomorrow’s would be Joel Kent’s super father, and she had that taken care of. Maybe it wasn’t in the spirit of a good sportsperson or a responsible mother, but she might just have to where that not-so-much-an-emerald pendant at tomorrow’s event, just to even the playing field a little for her man.

Sure, it was petty, but they were Luthors, all three of them, and they always came out on top.

The End

Story #2: THE ART OF WAR

A/N: This one-shot is set around Fragile (5 X 18).

The leather-bound volume has been in his possession for fifteen years now- his father’s present for his tenth birthday. It sits next to Machiavelli and Nietzsche’s works- books and doctrines meant to shape him into a ruthless Luthor and to smother the innocent God-believing soul Lillian had striven to nurture before her untimely demise. Sun Tzu’s The Art of War has accompanied him throughout his formative years as a tycoon in the making, an heir worthy of the most powerful surname in Metropolis and one of the most influential in the whole of America. The Chinese strategist’s principles have helped him start to build an empire of his own with which to compete with his father’s and eventually overthrow Lionel when he least expects it; and he’s relying on them now to seal the most important deal in his life.

The world believes he’s had it easy, that he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and that he’s never known what fighting for something you want or need is like. That couldn’t be further from the truth; he’s had to compete from the very cradle and despite his triumphs in the business arena, which have been made public in the financial section of every major newspaper in the nation as well as on the front covers of The Economist and Forbes, he’s never been the victor in the one field where he craves to succeed the most- that of love and acceptance. No one knows what really drives him to compete but her, and he wishes she didn’t because revealing one’s weakness can cripple you in any game, and defeat can be excruciatingly painful when it’s your happiness what is at stake.

Lex knows himself well, but he also knows Chloe inside and out. He’s aware of what makes her tick and what unsettles her because her weakness is also his. She’s as used to competing for someone’s affection as he is; living in someone’s shadow and pretending she’s strong, that she’s unbreakable. Both Julian and Lana might be the past and yet they contributed to shape them into whom they are today. While Lillian and Moira’s abandonment planted the seeds of the insecurity which has plagued them every step of the way, the ghost of a dead baby brother and of a small town princess cemented the belief they’ll always fall short of everyone’s expectations, that they’ll never be worthy enough of anyone’s love.

It’s funny how the boy who used to be both his best friend and the young brother he once wished he’d had is on his way to becoming the competitor for his father’s affection. Lex’s come to accept that’s one competition he might never win. However, there’s one he’s determined not to lose. She doesn’t know it yet, hasn’t realised she’s the other player in the game because all warfare is based on deception and he’s learnt his lesson well. He won’t let emotions overcome him; they’re another weakness of his and one which almost gave his game away when he met her in the caves. He felt slighted then because she’d been constantly avoiding him. He felt neglected and hurt for her choosing Clark over him after everything they’d been through, especially because he suspected she no longer pined for the farmboy and that someone else had taken Young Kent’s place in her heart; she was just being too stubborn to admit it or too ready to sacrifice her happiness out of loyalty towards Clark. Lex’s outburst in the caves was nothing but jealousy speaking. He’d no longer make the same mistake. In war the victorious strategist seeks battle only after victory has been won, and he almost jeopardised his carefully devised plan by attacking when he should have seem unable.

It’s been a year and a half since her return to Smallville, eighteen months of keeping an eye on her without her being aware- upholding this particular Sun Tzu principle has been one of the hardest. Staying away and feigning not to be interested in her has been the most difficult part of this game. Knowing her weakest point resides in her insecurity about her powers of attraction when it comes to the opposite sex, he went back to dating for a short spell. A moment of folly and the instinctual need to prove he could live without her led him to bed a one-night stand and almost get himself killed. The blonde reporter helped clear his name in a detached and professional way, which he welcomed as much as resented for what it entailed. Then came her Cousin Lucy’s visit... the perfect opportunity to remind Chloe what it felt like to be under his protection. And yet he got no reaction from her; only a civil exchange of pleasantries at The Talon when she chaperoned the youngest Lane and held some chit-chat with Clark. Sometimes he wishes he’d spoken up at the safe house instead of waiting for her to finish high school. Lately, he’s opened and leafed through his old volume more often. She’s taking her ease, so he should give her no rest.
    Lex’s always thought of himself as a very patient man when it comes to getting what he wants. He also knows he’d never force his attentions on a woman who isn’t willing and is convinced Chloe isn’t one of them; she’s simply fighting an attraction which has been there since their first meeting and grown into something he’s been too afraid to give a name to. Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting. And he’s decided to hold out the one bait he’s sure will entice her and make her capitulate- Lana Lang. It’s one card he wishes he didn’t have to play because the brunette’s turned out to be a good friend and he wants to break the Luthor cycle of using people for his own gain. Lana’s vulnerable right now, and the scruples instilled by Lillian make him doubt. However, hesitation is short-lived for the spoils of this competition are too precious to question Machiavelli’s teachings. This is one of those occasions on which the ends justify the means.

It’s done. And it couldn’t have played out better. It’s only taken him a friendly dinner and a drive to the dorms to drop Clark’s flame in order to achieve his goal. The object of his desire turned up at the right time and fell into his trap. He’s immensely grateful for her timing since it’s saved him from taking more drastic measures- namely, romancing the girl who’s largely to blame for pushing Chloe into Lionel’s deadly web. The blonde spitfire walked on them yesterday evening and he’s been patiently awaiting her arrival as he sips a tumbler of vintage bourbon and goes over some stock market reports on his laptop. And the minute the clock strikes six she storms into the study she hasn’t set foot in in almost a year. The circumstances are different and so is her body language; whereas that May morning she was all stuttery and recoiling, this time she’s ready to pounce on him and goes straight for his jugular. He disguises his pleasure behind an urbanely superior smirk and as she slams the double doors on leaving he starts savouring the taste of victory.

Chloe leans against the mahogany doors which separate her from Lex and takes a few deep breaths. These eighteen months have been a true test of endurance. She knows him well enough and also knows he’s the second man she’s met who can both have her knees wobble and make her feel safe. When the other player’s superior in strength and you fear capitulation, you avoid and evade him. It’s a double-edged weapon which serves both to shelter your heart and to irritate the opponent by stirring his choleric temper. He might have been raised to be a Luthor but, unlike the devious snake of Lionel, Lex is still predictable when emotions are involved. She’s used his weakness against him today; playing on his insecurity, telling him he’d only be second best in the competition for Lana. He’s lashed out aiming at her own insecurity- which is a mirror of his- and now she’s struggling to hide a satisfied smile lest a security camera in the corridor’s filming her. She’s been pretending to be weak, counting on his arrogance. She’s got him where she wants him now. She’ll let him savour this one battle he believes he’s won and then play the Jimmy Olsen card she’s been saving till the very end. Lex’ll break first and victory will be hers... theirs... when he confesses what she’s known since the trial and that he’s stubbornly tried to deny with that painful one-night stand which almost broke her heart into a million pieces last year.

She walks to her car with a bright face. The end of the war’s near and he won’t know what’s hit him until it’s too late.

THE END

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

I don't really know how this works. Do we normally vote for the fics but we're not supposed to this month because there are only two?

Can I comment on them on this thread? I'm going to do so, so someone please tell me if I'm not supposed to!

They were both really good. I love the great, serious Lex-reflections in the first on his possessive, ambitious drive to always come out on top - for an egg-and-spoon race! Hilarious and very clever!

The second one is fascinating. I love how each of them has somewhat convoluted plans for coming out on top. I didn't follow all of the Smallville allusions, but I assume I would if I'd kept up on the recent seasons. But I like the twisted and tragic crossroads Lex and Chloe have arrived at in the fic.

NS Full Member

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Chloe leans against the mahogany doors which separate her from Lex and takes a few deep breaths. These eighteen months have been a true test of endurance. She knows him well enough and also knows he’s the second man she’s met who can both have her knees wobble and make her feel safe. When the other player’s superior in strength and you fear capitulation, you avoid and evade him. It’s a double-edged weapon which serves both to shelter your heart and to irritate the opponent by stirring his choleric temper. He might have been raised to be a Luthor but, unlike the devious snake of Lionel, Lex is still predictable when emotions are involved. She’s used his weakness against him today; playing on his insecurity, telling him he’d only be second best in the competition for Lana. He’s lashed out aiming at her own insecurity- which is a mirror of his- and now she’s struggling to hide a satisfied smile lest a security camera in the corridor’s filming her. She’s been pretending to be weak, counting on his arrogance. She’s got him where she wants him now. She’ll let him savour this one battle he believes he’s won and then play the Jimmy Olsen card she’s been saving till the very end. Lex’ll break first and victory will be hers... theirs... when he confesses what she’s known since the trial and that he’s stubbornly tried to deny with that painful one-night stand which almost broke her heart into a million pieces last year.

She walks to her car with a bright face. The end of the war’s near and he won’t know what’s hit him until it’s too late.
    Bloody Brilliant!! I love this twist at the end where it turns out Chloe knows exactly what Lex is doing and she's actually the one calling the shots! Go Chloe! Lex may wear the pants, but Chloe gets to pick out which ones he wears lol! Again, brilliant .

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
    I don't really know how this works. Do we normally vote for the fics but we're not supposed to this month because there are only two?
    Usually we would add a poll to this thread where you could vote for your favourite, but since only two entries were sent in this month, I decided it would be better to just not have a voting this month

Can I comment on them on this thread? I'm going to do so, so someone please tell me if I'm not supposed to!
    Yup, this is the place to comment!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

I'm the author of the second ficlet, The Art of War.

The second one is fascinating. I love how each of them has somewhat convoluted plans for coming out on top. I didn't follow all of the Smallville allusions, but I assume I would if I'd kept up on the recent seasons. But I like the twisted and tragic crossroads Lex and Chloe have arrived at in the fic.
    Thanks for your lovely feedback on my entry, Zannie. You've made my day!

You're right, there are several allusions to canon, which I twisted to explain Lex's "wooing" of Lana and the tension and scathing remarks between him and Chloe in the seasons that followed the trial- especially Seasons 4 and 5 since this fic doesn't go beyond that period.

I loved the first entry. I had a hunch Lex wasn't planning a takeover so I was pleased to find out I was right. The twist was endearing and so Lex's.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

They were both really good. I love the great, serious Lex-reflections in the first on his possessive, ambitious drive to always come out on top - for an egg-and-spoon race! Hilarious and very clever!
    Thank you, Zannie Just thinking how serious Lex can about things that the rest of us would just let go, plus the want to right a more fun family piece this time around, led me to this humourous little tale. Very glad you liked it

[
    Quote Originally Posted by lexie
    I loved the first entry. I had a hunch Lex wasn't planning a takeover so I was pleased to find out I was right. The twist was endearing and so Lex's.
    And my fellow entrant, lexie. Glad you liked this too. We clearly went in very different directions on this challenge, but excellent work from you as always

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Thanks for your lovely feedback on my entry, Zannie. You've made my day!

You're right, there are several allusions to canon, which I twisted to explain Lex's "wooing" of Lana and the tension and scathing remarks between him and Chloe in the seasons that followed the trial- especially Seasons 4 and 5 since this fic doesn't go beyond that period. .
    I was pretty sure you were the writer of the second one, lexie! I always like fics where Chloe and Lex try to outmaneuver each other - particularly when Chloe comes out on top!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Thank you, Zannie Just thinking how serious Lex can about things that the rest of us would just let go, plus the want to right a more fun family piece this time around, led me to this humourous little tale. Very glad you liked it
    I was trying to place the writing in your story, but I couldn't figure out whose it was. I'm glad to know that my style-detector isn't as rusty as I thought. I can't remember if I've read any other stories of yours before, but I know I haven't read very many. I really liked your story - it was a fantastic twist and a great look into Lex's head.

It's really brave for folks to do these battles - it's hard to put your work out there anonymously for people's comments! I'm impressed.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Story 1: Know Thy Enemy

This was a hilarious fic. I actually sensed that it was going to end in a humourous punch line right from the beginning. Lex’s planning seemed a tiny bit over the top, and he seemed to be ‘mwaa ha haa’-ing a little more than usual while gloating over his inevitable victory over his weaker, worthless and undeserving opponents.

There was also the fact that Lex was acting distinctly uneasy in hiding the details in what he was doing from his loving wife. Perhaps I’m a softy, but I usually find it hard to imagine Lex being truly evil when he’s in a loving relationship with Chloe. His guilt and uneasiness showed that he was doing something that Chloe would disapprove of, but I was quite certain that it was some kind of petty, underhanded cheating that Lex was indulging in rather than outright evil. Chloe would disapprove, but she would only scold him and call him an idiot rather than leave him because he was a monster.

I loved, LOVED the lines where Lex was musing over his daughter… how brilliant, vibrant, amazing and precious she was to him. I LOVED the line where Lex noted that he no longer wanted to simply conquer the world for himself, but wanted to take it over and hand it over gift-wrapped to his beautiful girls.

The ending punch line was awesome! I should have known that the competition was somehow related to Lex’s obsessive need to ‘win the world’ for his daughter. ROTFL! Apparently taking over the world ALSO entails winning every event during father/daughter picnics as well, ROTFL!

LOL! Poor Chloe. She has an obsessive husband who sometimes crosses over into idiocy over the silliest things. It was good to see her reassuring Lex that Lily will NOT mind if her father ends up coming in second, third or even dead last on every gaming event during the picnic. But I’m sure Chloe knew that her words were NOT sinking in, and that Lex was going to be brooding and snarling before every event trying to intimidate the competition into backing off.

Chloe at least knows how to fight her battles properly. She will NOT blackmail the other fathers into agreeing to lose the race… but she will ALSO make sure that ‘certain fathers’ don’t use unfair advantages to claim victory. I can’t imagine Clark Kent actually using his powers to cheat, but it’s best to be certain, lol!

Story #2: THE ART OF WAR

I loved how the chapter began describing the major references that Lionel had used in training his son. Art of War, The Prince and Nietzsche’s philosophies would be considered pretty frightening bedtime reading material for most children… except for a Luthor. That was a great way to set up Lex’s psychology and character in the first paragraph… and an excellent way to set the tone for the fic as a whole.

I liked how the fic was all about Lex’s obsession with winning, and going to any lengths in order to secure victory. I also loved how it was established, right from the beginning, how Lex views any competition or rivalry as warfare, where no mercy is given, no extremes left unexplored and no sentimentality allowed on the battleground.

I liked the way Lex was surveying his (enemy?) (target?), scanning for weaknesses. Chloe was revealed to have precious few chinks in her defense, but I did like how Lex noted that Chloe’s own feelings of inferiority were her weakest points. And I have to admit I also liked the tone of incredulity in Lex’s observations as he noted how Chloe did not consider herself to be attractive and/or desirable to men. Lex made that observation as if he found it ridiculous that Chloe did not know how amazingly irresistible she was.

The ending was fantastic, because it revealed that Chloe was well aware of the battle taking place between them. Not only that, but she ALSO knew that she herself was the target and main focus for ALL of Lex’s strategies. All she has to do is confound him while keeping her knowledge of Lex’s priorities a secret.

I loved how Chloe was ALSO thinking of this battle on the same level as Lex’s… where she was also noting and exploiting Lex’s weaknesses, and turning his own strengths against him. heeee! It was amazing seeing Chloe utilizing her own (relatively) meager resources to the most efficient and effective use, while making Lex waste his own superior forces… just like a black belt making an opponent waste energy, while turning his strength and balance against him. Chloe’s self-assured confidence was awe-inspiring! It as so satisfying to see that Chloe Sullivan is going to be the victor in this battle… it’s inevitable!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information