Closed Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New policy - Limited forum access for inactive users (updated Oct. 14th 2010)

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Loooooooooooooooooooooong post here :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rachet View Post
    Why doesn't some one just open a thread for writers to sign in to first and then they can go in to their stories. This way they don't have to find a thread, and think up a reply. They can veiw it as a sign in. They can even save the link a go strait to that thread. I personaly would check out the thread just to see when writers were around. You could also PM the writers with a link to the thread so they would not have to search for it.
    I don't think the software would allow something like this. I know of other forums where all authors post a link to their updates in the same thread, so that readers know there's a new chapter of their faVourite fic or fics up without having to browse the subforums or have a peek at multiple threads. However, that doesn't work as a sign in for the writers.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Most of this is too complicated and drawn out when there should only be a few considerations here: paid subscriptions, authors without free access to their own fic, and to do this or not. As far as I'm concerned, the board either dies and becomes an archive, leading to its eventual closing or some people just suck it up and go with it. Looking around the internet, other boards have instituted similar measures, or closed down completely. I get that no one likes change, but this isn't the end of the world. Just post something. Anything and it's done. The amount of time complaining about the issue is in disproportion to the ease of actual compliance.

The overriding issue is this: eventually Julie might look around and not think it's worth it. Now she's putting the effort to combat that. So I guess the choice is people who don't like this taking down their fic and leaving, which results in closure of the board; or just adapting to the new circumstances because the conversation has become circular and nigh-on pointless.
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

I agree with you, Ava. I'm a member of several forums- not all of them devoted to fandoms- and most of them have a similar policy.

Julie's been doing an awesome job and being more than generous towards us fans by providing us with a place where to share our love for Chloe, Lex, Chlex and the actors behind the characters. She's put money, time, love and effort to make sure we still have a place to hang out with fellow fans, for us to make some new friends and share our creations and/or enjoy others'. What she's asking is small and sensible when looking at the big picture. A really small gesture to thank her for creating this great community and always striving to give us something new and exciting.
    Last edited by lexie; 11th April 2010 at 02:34.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Looking back on my post I realized it was harsh, but we spend too much time tip-toeing around the basic problem here. And I know people are busy, but one post in 30 days is not difficult, even for the go-go life style. If you have time to read, then once a month you have time to drop a simple line.
    Fanfiction Master List

Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

What I was trying to say was not set up a new sign in, but open a thread in an open forum that the writers can use as a sign in. They could post their name, and then they would not be lukring. This would work for the joint authers, at least.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rachet View Post
    What I was trying to say was not set up a new sign in, but open a thread in an open forum that the writers can use as a sign in. They could post their name, and then they would not be lukring. This would work for the joint authers, at least.
    I thought this was a good idea but then I thought of what was to keep the average lurker from posting there and getting access. Good idea in theory though. I don't want it to be like there is a preference of one group over another so I guess the only solution is everyone has to post. And I can see the point was to get people more active and not having a bunch of people post a post that is essentially "I'm just posting this so I'll have access to fanfic." If that is the feeling that comes off, I'd rather it be in the other sections then on someone's fanfic. Anyways, hope this all works out.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

I see what people are saying about giving authors a special preference, but I don't think that's fair towards everyone else.

The only preference I'll set up is, for the joint accounts because it's harder to maintain a joint account than a regular account, and for the paid subscription accounts.

If there are any other joint accounts other than the ones lexie wrote up, please let me know
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Re: New policy - Limited forum access for inactive users

The joint accounts (that I've been notified about) have been moved to a special group that is not checked for inactivity.

Paid subscription users have been moved to the actual paid subscription user group, which isn't checked for inactivity. If you have a paid subscription, and notice something is wrong with your account, please contact me and I'll look into it!
    Last edited by Julie; 11th April 2010 at 14:48.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Re: New policy - Limited forum access for inactive users

I think that's fair, Julie.
    Fanfiction Master List

Oscar Wilde

Marilyn Monroe

Re: Lurkers - How to get out of the Lurkers user group

Okay so i'm a serial lurker. And it was quite a surprise to come back to boards and find this latest piece of news. I will try to come back to the forum more often, and try de-lurk myself.

Closed Thread

Thread Information