+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) April15th, 2009 THANK YOU

Re: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) Feb.2nd, 2009

Yay! A new chapter! And a fabulous chapter too. By-the-way, I hope you had a wonderful time on your vacation lexie!

I have so many more questions after reading this chapter. Argh. I do love a good mystery though... and this is definitely a good mystery so far...

Lex's dream/flashback of him and Lionel talking was really interesting. What was Lionel trying to tell Lex about Chloe? Also great twist with Lionel being behind everything--Lana's fake pregnancy and clone Julian. And he did it just to hurt Lex because he couldn't hurt Lillian? Tragic and interesting. What did Lillian do to Lionel that was such a betrayal? Curiouser and curiouser...

I wonder what the letter Lionel sent to Chloe said? And what the hell was the key for? Also why does she have to be at the will reading? Even more interesting.

Also will Lucas be playing a large role in this fic or only little one?

Okay, I think I asked enough questions. LoL. Anyways, this story is fascinating and I can't wait to read more!!

Seriously, more questions! And I want some answers...why is Chloe needed at the reading of the will? What key did Lionel give her? What was Lionel trying to tell Lex about her? And that's just a couple of them. I've got more and truly dying for some answers! More soon please!!!!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

This Friday thereīll be a new chapter up. Iīm posting double this week since I made you wait over a fortnight while I was on holidays.

I promise thereīll be some answers, as well as new questions.
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 18:06.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

This just keeps getting more interesting!!!

What did Lionel want to tell Lex and why does Chloe need to go for the will???

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

I just got to read this and whoa! It is really twisting in all directions. Wondering exactly what Lionel is going to drop on Chloe even after his death and feel bad for Lex who seems to be caught in the middle this time. Looking forward to the next part.

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

What an amazing fic

Really interesting, I`m curious to know what`s going on
    Malu

Quote Originally Posted by purplemoon123 View Post
    This just keeps getting more interesting!!!

What did Lionel want to tell Lex and why does Chloe need to go for the will???
    Youīll get both answers in the chapter Iīll post later today.And there are still a few more bombs to come.
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 18:06.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Re: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) Feb.6th, 2009

A/N. Hereīs the second posting of the week to compensate you for the lack of updates in over a fortnight. Enjoy!

CHAPTER 6: From the Grave

Two days had gone by since his fatherīs funeral and Lex couldnīt begin to process his death yet. He had always thought that Lionelīs passing would bring relief to his tortured soul, but he had been wrong. The rational part of him wanted to scream `Good riddance!ī, but the little hurt boy in him couldnīt help but cry bitter tears.

Fifty-six hours ago Lex had informed LuthorCorp security of his fatherīs sudden death. He had felt an overwhelming rage at the assailantīs daring to deprive him of the privilege of ever pulling the trigger and carrying out what he had dreamt of doing himself for years. He wanted to scream, cry his eyes out, but the only sound that left his throat was a silent howl and the only dampness in his eyes was that of the tears that filled them and refused to fall.

He was virtually alone now- Chloe was avoiding him, and he was left with no one to hate. There was Clark, of course, the ghost that had stood in the way of his ever achieving happiness with Lana. He wished he could hate the farm boy for robbing him of the chance to know what it felt like to be loved again. He tried in vain to hate Clark for having secured so effortlessly the one thing for which he himself had to beg- human affection. However, what actually hurt the most wasnīt the attraction Clark had exerted on Lexīs own wife but rather, how Lana had betrayed them both. Not only had she left Clark for his best friend, she had cheated on Lex from day one- if not in deed at least in thought. The billionaire couldnīt help but resent her just as he resented Lionel for both had denied him the opportunity to have what his former best friend had always enjoyed – love and unconditional friendship.

Lex killed off the engine of his Porsche in the underground garage of LuthorCorp, took a deep breath, ungripped the steering wheel and looked at his hands. They didnīt shake, despite the vintage bottle of bourbon he had downed in the wee small hours of the morning. He got out of the car, locked it and stepped into the private elevator that would take him to the top floor, where his late fatherīs office was. Although the ride to the ninetieth floor was smooth, Lexīs head was pounding and threatening to explode.

The lift dinged on the top floor of LuthorCorp Plaza, and Lex stepped out into the carpeted corridor to spot the petite and curvy blonde conversing with his half-brother. At that moment, Lex knew without a shadow of a doubt that even though he didnīt hate Clark, he most certainly envied him. The young Kent still had the faithful friendship of a young woman who had also been part of Lexīs life and whose closeness he had had to sacrifice.

The billionaire hadnīt had time to miss Chloe Sullivan while lost in his dreams of happiness with Lana, but now that the veil had been finally lifted, the reality of such a loss was felt with a vengeance. Two months ago he had taken the first steps to start rebuilding everything he had been forced to destroy after the trial. He had provided Queen Enterprises with the serum to help Moira and sold The Planet so that Chloe could have her dream job back without any suspicion of nepotism. However, she had kept her distance and been avoiding him since then.

“Hey, broī!” exclaimed Lucas smugly. “Sheīs grown up since I last saw her, hasnīt she?” he added, checking Chloe out with a tinge of lust in his eyes.

“Miss Sullivan,” Lex greeted her, showing no surprise in his voice- heīd expected her to be there that morning.

“Mr Luthor,” answered Chloe gravely, wondering what he thought of her presence at the reading.

“My God, has anybody got a knife to cut the coolness in the air?” laughed Lucas, feigning a shiver. “Werenīt you supposed to be friends of a friend or something?”

“A lot has happened in Smallville while you were away losing money at the poker tables, Lucas,” said Chloe tersely.

“Whoīs been spreading slanders about my lifestyle? You, Lex?” he cocked an eyebrow.” Afraid of the competition, broī? “

“We arenīt in the same league- not even close,” answered Lex coolly.

“Oh, please! Are you listening to you?” exclaimed Chloe scornfully, looking at both brothers with a frown.

“My brother loves making other people uncomfortable with that stance of superiority, but not so deep down heīs a shaky little kid crying out for his mummy,” shook Lucas.

Chloe could feel the tension boiling up in Lex and reaching her in waves. She had known the meeting would be far from comfortable, but being caught in a Luthor family feud was something she certainly hadnīt signed in for. In spite of his having grown up away from the Luthor household, Lucas was aware of which buttons to push to make Lex snap. Chloe thought he was either reckless or downright stupid for the eldest brother was a sleeping tiger no sensible person would dare rouse.

She looked at Lucas and couldnīt agree more with Lex- they were in completely different leagues. The youngest brother was cocky and brazen but lacked the finesse, style and quick-mindedness which characterised his sibling and their father before them. Yes, Lionel had been a bastard but one hell of a classy bastard.

“What? No witty comeback? The cat ate your tongue, Lex?”

“I would think before speaking if I were you, Lucas,” said Lex tersely.

“Do you believe the old manīs left you everything?”

“Iīm not a fool. I donīt go about building castles in the air. You, on the contrary... you should learn never to spit at the hand that will probably feed you.”

“Is this because of your generous offer to keep me away from dad all these years? “ he asked with sarcasm.

“I seem to remember you were only too willing to cash the cheques I sent you every month. Even asked for a raise not so long ago,” answered Lex coldly.

“Well, it was high time I got my hands on a portion of what was mine by right,” hissed Lucas.

“Gentlemen, why donīt you pull off the boxing gloves? Dr Suttonīs here,” Chloe butted in.

“By the way,” said Lucas, cocking an eyebrow,” though itīs been nice seeing you again, Chloe, you havenīt told me what youīre here for.”

Lex shot a glance at the blond, interested in knowing what her answer would be. He knew his father well enough never to be surprised at what he could throw his way and, this time, Chloe Sullivan seemed to be part of his plan and that made his gut clench.

“Iīm afraid Iīm as clueless as you are,” she said, shrugging her shoulders.

“You arenīt here on assignment, then?” asked Lex suavely, knowing what the answer was.

“Was that what you were thinking, Lex? Iīm surprised you havenīt kicked me out of the premises if you suspected I was here to get an exclusive,” she responded, holding his gaze unflinchingly. She knew that he knew she wasnīt there as a reporter and, whatīs more, his speaking so openly in front of Lucas told her he was willing to run the risk of trusting her discretion. “Iīm not here in that capacity, but you already knew that- youīre always well-informed. Lionelīs is my story- although I should say I didnīt ask for it.”

“Mr Luthor,” said Sutton approaching the group.” Miss Sullivan, Mr Luthor,” he added, addressing the youngest pair.

“Dr Sutton, shall we?” responded Lex, showing him the way to the conference room.

“Sheīs coming with us?” frowned Lucas.

“Havenīt you been listening, Lucas?” smirked Lex.” Sheīs here for the reading.”

“Why donīt we take a seat, gentlemen? Miss?” said the lawyer, sensing the tension in the room.

“Sure. Letīs see what the old manīs got to say from the grave,” sighed Rachel Dunleavyīs son, sprawled on a swivel chair.

“Would you rather I waited outside?” asked Chloe to the attorney, stealing a glance at Lex, who was sitting across from her.

“The late Mr Luthor left precise written instructions, madam. You are to stay for the reading of the whole testament.”

“Can we start now? I havenīt got all day,” asked the youngest Luthor.

“Eager to resume your seat at the gambling-tables, Lucas? If they kick you out of the Chinese joints, thereīs always Vegas and Reno,” said Lex smugly.

“ Thereīs no need for you to pretend broī. You also want to find out what this chickīs doing here and what her cutīll be.”

“I donīt think...” started Chloe.

“Well, “ the attorney cleared his throat nervously.” As you already know,” he added, addressing the bald billionaire,” your fatherīs servants have already got their share. His chauffeur... “

Chloe listened to Suttonīs words and observed both siblings closely as the lawyer recited the list of assets that had been bequeathed to their fatherīs most faithful servants. She tried to gauge their reaction to the news- Lucas looked slightly pissed, clearly bored with the fate of material things he deemed too insignificant to really matter. Lex... well, Lex was wearing his trademark poker-face so he didnīt give too much away, except an occasional nod, as if he agreed with the destiny of part of his inheritance.

“Now... hereīs the part which interests us today. Your father expressed his wish that his art collection, cars and valuables be auctioned and the proceeds be destined to a foundation he instituted in your late brotherīs name. The Julian Luthor Foundation will devote its resources to fund research on SIDS and to grant psychological counsel to families whose children have been victims of this syndrome.”

Lex felt a sudden ache in his chest; Lionel had stuck with the lie till his very death. Julian hadnīt died in his crib victim of SIDS, it had been his own mother who had smothered him with a pillow, and Lionel had thought Lex guilty of the deed for over twelve years. Julian had been snatched away from Lexīs side by a mother who loved them both too much to see them tear themselves to pieces for Lionelīs love. Now, at least, a portion of their dadīs legacy would be used for something Julian could be proud of. Lex doubted the real reason behind keeping up the lie was because Lionel loved Lillian so deeply he didnīt want her memory to be tarnished. His parentsī marriage hadnīt been like the Kentsī- there had been too many secrets, cruelty and back-stabbing.

As Suttonīs voice droned on Lex remembered one night from his childhood when he had sneaked into his parentsī master bedroom and saw Lillian curled up on the bed crying silent tears as she held an old photo in her hands. Lionel had started coming late from the office, sometimes he would even stay the night in Metropolis. Lex had been young and still he had had a pretty good idea of what was going on, and he hated his dad more than ever for treating Lillian the way he did. There had been many women in his fatherīs life after Julianīs death- Rachel Dunleavy was one of them and the result of that affair was sitting across the table. Lex couldnīt help but pity Lucasī mum because she had been as much a victim of his dadīs as Lillian had.

Chloe saw something flicker in Lexīs eyes and then vanish. She had known of baby Julian through Clark and Lana and was aware of how much his death had affected Lex. However, she had seen with her own eyes that tragedy had been just one of the many painful moments in his life and that it wasnīt a medical condition what had caused the babyīs early death.

“... twenty percent of my shares in LuthorCorp I bequeath to Alexander Joseph Luthor. These shares, together with the twenty percent he received from his motherīs estate on his eighteenth birthday make him one of the corporationīs major shareholders.”

“It appears thereīll be a new rooster in the hen house, Lex,” smirked Lucas, straightening up on the chair.

“Sir,” said the attorney tensely, addressing the youngest Luthor,” your fatherīs made provisions for you to get a monthly allowance of ten thousand dollars.”

“ Ten grand? Not bad... although Iīll spend more than half of it on my new wardrobe if I have to attend board meetings and sign cheques at my desk in daddy dearestīs old office,” said Lucas smugly, eying Lex with scorn.” Iīll need some female company to go to those boring soirées and charity events. What do you say, Chloe?”

Chloe felt Lexīs scorching eyes on her and cursed Lucas Luthor for making the whole procedure even more unbearable.

“Iīm afraid Iīm not cut out to be a society girl. As you very well know there are people who donīt know when to hold their tongue,” she said, stressing the last sentence and seeing the ghost of a smile on Lexīs lips.”Besides I canīt stand hypocrisy and those disgusting air kisses.”

“Would that be a `noī?” asked Lucas, cocking an eyebrow. “Have you considered the whole package?”

“I have and, believe me, you are not that irresistible, Lucas.”

“Please, Dr Sutton,” said Lex seeing the older manīs discomfiture.”Disregard my brotherīs appalling manners. Letīs finish with this so he can go back to his card game.”

“Yes, sir,” he responded, adjusting his glasses.” The two Lear Jets as well as the helicopter Iīve purchased for corporative use... “

Chloe tried to keep track of what the lawyer was saying but got suddenly distracted when she felt a hand sliding up her thigh and moving to a very specific destination.

“... the remaining forty percent of the shares I leave to...”

Lex saw Chloe suddenly tense and noticed her cheeks were rather flushed. He then looked at Lucas, who seemed to be hanging on every word that was coming out of the lawyerīs mouth, and frowned.

Chloe was ready to explode and the second Lucasī hand was about to touch her where no man had ever been allowed, Sutton announced the name of the other major shareholder and everything went up in flames. Chloe sprang to her feet and gave Lucas a hard punch that ended with him sprawled on the floor with a bloody nose. Meanwhile, Lex laid back on his swivel chair and looked at her with an odd expression on his face as his world, once again, crumbled down. All his efforts had been in vain.

“What!” she hissed, glaring at Lex. “He deserved it. Luthor or not, heīs one filthy pig. Youīd better go back to your call girls,” she told Lucas, who was wiping the blood off his nose.

“Youīre no better than them,” spat Lucas. “I donīt want my fatherīs leftovers, thank you very much.”

“What!” she choked.

“Thatīs enough!” roared Lex, springing to his feet.”Get out! Collect your cheque and donīt come back,” he hissed, planting both hands on the table to refrain from crossing the room and finishing what Chloe had started.

“Do you think Iīm going to leave things as they are?” asked Lucas, pressing a finger under his nose to stop the bleeding.

“Donīt try my patience, Lucas. If youīre thinking of contesting dadīs will, when my lawyers are done with you you wonīt even have the damn monthly cheque.”

“My, I thought things between you two were freezing cold. Now I see I was wrong. Iīm starting to think maybe they shouldnīt have let you free. Did you attempt to murder your wife to marry dadīs mistress and snatch the whole inheritance?” he laughed, boring his eyes into Lex.

“What in heavenīs name is he talking about?” shouted Chloe, looking at Lex with knitted eyebrows.

“Oh, come on, Chloe! Donīt play coy, now,” said Lucas, looking at her in disgust.” Sleeping with the CEO got you the forty percent you needed to get my broīs interest.”

“Leave the premises before I call security, Lucas,” Lex warned him with a murderous look in his eyes while he clenched his fists tightly not to pummel his half-brotherīs face in front of Chloe and Sutton.

Chloe shifted her eyes from Lex to the attorney with a puzzled look on her face.

“That youīre a bastard is definitely unquestionable. As to your allegations Iīve been whoring for your father... and forty percent... Forty percent of what?” she fumed, fixing Lucas with a hard stare.

“Donīt think for a minute Iīll let you keep my forty percent, Sullivan,” he stormed out of the room, slamming the mahogany door behind him.

A deadly silence fell on the room and Chloe felt her legs wobble.

“Well... my jobīs done here,” said Dr Sutton, putting away the papers in an expensive leather briefcase.

“I trust you wonīt divulge anything thatīs transpired in this room,” responded a sobered Lex in a voice laced with threat.

“You have my word, sir,” he promised with a nod.

“Iīll have my lawyers call you to sign all the necessary papers. Miss Sullivan, I assume, will make similar arrangements,” added the young tycoon, observing Chloeīs dumbfounded figure sitting on a chair across from him.

“Certainly, sir. Miss, good morning,” he greeted them on his way out.

“Are you all right?” asked Lex once they were alone as he uncapped two bottles of Tŷ Nant.

“All right?” she laughed hysterically.”Youīre kidding, right?” she wiped a couple of treacherous tears which had slipped away.”I was starting to get my life together, trying to get over everything Iīve been put through,” she said bitterly.” I was minding my own business... trying not to wake up the dormant dragon,” she added as Lex looked at her with eyes that said he knew sheīd been investigating Lionel again. “God! I donīt need this shit,” she exclaimed, leaving the chair and walking to the panoramic windows to avoid having to hold Lexīs gaze. `What did you do, old bastard? First you sent me that envelope and now this? Why me? What were you trying to do? Why couldnīt you just let things be? Was this another of your sick twisted games to hurt us both or were you trying to make amends?ī

“My father always had the oddest sense of humour,” said Lexīs voice a couple of metres away from her as he surveyed the city landscape with his hands deep in the pockets of his expensive black trousers.

“Hilarious! I can see youīre barely managing not to burst into laughter. Come on, Lex! I canīt believe youīll accept this situation with so much equanimity,” she replied, wondering if his reaction was connected to what heīd shown her when she revived him. Was it because of what Lionel had told him in prison he wasnīt saying anything now?

“I suspected something like this was going to happen the moment I saw Sutton approach you at church, and my suspicions were confirmed when he told me dad had asked for you to be present today. Nothing my father could ever do would surprise me, Chloe.”

“Well, let me tell you... he did surprise me. You havenīt believed what Lucas...”

“Of course not!” Lex cut her off exasperatedly.

“Good. I know we donīt trust each other yet, but...”

“It hurts, doesnīt it? Having people pass judgement on you because of circumstantial evidence- or because of things which appear to be evidence of foul play, I mean. You think I killed him right?”

“Did you?” she asked, boring her green eyes into him and praying heīd say `noī, hoping he hadnīt turned his back on the new opportunity sheīd given him in that hospital room.

“I didnīt. Do you believe me?” he responded gravely.

“I know about Grant and Lanaīs pregnancy, Lex. The bastard deserved everything he had coming.”

“Do you believe me, Chloe?” he insisted.

She looked into his steely blue-grey eyes and saw in them the little red-haired boy she had left standing in that dark corridor.

“I believe you, Lex.”

“You dared challenge dad four years ago and almost got yourself killed. Why did you do it again?”

“Your father contacted me four months ago and asked me ... he ordered me to stop digging up about you and your past. His request only egged me on. There had to be something really big he didnīt want me to discover,” she told the billionaire.

“And did you? He made you heiress to one of Americaīs largest fortunes, Chloe,” trying to gauge how much she had managed to dig up.

“Are you trying to imply he decided to include me in his will in a twisted attempt to shut me up?”

“Iīve never doubted your investigative skills, Chloe; thatīs why I fired you from the paper. You were too curious for your own good. Youīve always been an intelligent and resourceful woman. For that reason I came to you at The Planet when Lana disappeared. I knew sheīd have never been able to orchestrate such a classy disappearing act without someoneīs aid.”

“Lex...”

“ Donīt bother denying it.”

“At that time I thought it was for the best. Her life with you was a living hell... I didnīt know what I know now about the baby... I just wanted... . Clark...,” she tried to explain.

“Clark? Clark has never been able to see whatīs actually under his nose, and you of all people should know it,” exploded the billionaire.

“Youīre being unfair, Lex. Clarkīs loved Lana all his life.”

“We both know his fixation with Lana is a blind infatuation with an ideal heīs put on a pedestal and that only exists in his mind. Unlike us, heīs never been able to see beyond the surface of things. Heīs wasted too many years of his young life pining for a dream when he had the real thing in front of him all the time,” responded Lex passionately, boring his eyes into her.” I hope one day youīll come across a man whoīll see you for the wonderful woman you are.”

“And what makes you think I havenīt?” asked Chloe, tilting up her chin in defiance so as to cover up the embarrassment she was sure must be showing on her face.

“Even with Lana out of the picture Clarkīll never see the light. And Olsen? You wonīt have me believe that boy has what it takes to challenge your sharp intellect and to make you feel like a woman. And the other alternative- the one Lucas suggested- is just ludicrous.”

“What have you got up your sleeve, Lex? A few months ago you were the bereaved widower demanding to know Lanaīs whereabouts, and now youīre virtually making a pass at me!”

“Wipe that look off your face, Chloe. Iīm not trying to seduce you, and donīt believe for a minute Iīve said what Iīve said to you because of the forty percent my dadīs left you. Itīs high time you stopped going for the safe choices- itīs not who you are,” he stated, walking towards the mini bar.

“What do you want from me, Lex?” she asked, observing him closely for any sign that might give her a hint as to what was going through his head.

“Iīve been given not a second but a fourth chance in my life when Iīm not sure I even deserved one, and I hate seeing someone with so much potential as you waste hers.”

“Who are you to talk about my life or how I live it, Lex?”

“Iīm your brother. Thatīs who I am, Chloe,” answered Lex on a monotone as he stood with his eyes fixed on Metropolisī skyline.

tbc
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 18:07.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

*Insert expletive here* I knew this was coming, somehow I knew it. And it still managed to knock me off completely. How could this happen??? Oh, so can't wait for the next update. You so need to update soon. This is like one of the worst cliffies. Not because the story is bad (h, e, double hockey sticks no!) but because I can only imagine how I'm supposed to wait for the next one.

Liked the interactions between Chloe, Lex and Lucas. Lucas is such a pig and I can't wait to see more of him if he is truly going to fight the will. Loved the Chlex, the conversation was just so crisp. Loved it! More soon please. I really, truly mean it!!!!!

Love the update!

But: “Iīm your brother. Thatīs who I am, Chloe,”

Huh?? Please tell me thatīs a figure of speech!
    Come join the dark side. We have cookies.
    Yumm!
    Annnnnd Lex Luther!!!
    Double Yummmmmmmm!!

Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!
    - Matt Frewer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information