+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) April15th, 2009 THANK YOU

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) Jan.13th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by superag View Post
    I like the beginning of this. I think there has to be something else up with Lex though to give in just like that. And I can't imagine that Chloe would quite trust him right off the bat. I see some more interesting tense points coming soon.
    There will be tension of various sorts- these two have always been anything but indifferent to each other, so part of that tension will have to do with their fighting this attraction; but a good portion will be linked to the secrets that he´s hiding and the answers and questions she encountered while being inside his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SVfan 1286

But I can't help but be anxious for answers about Lillian's secret. I know, I know, I am going to have to be patient. lol

I can't wait to find out why Chloe so desperately wants to talk to her mother now. Does it have something to do with Lillian's secret? If so, what and why does Chloe's mom know something? More questions dammit!!!! lol
    You´ve pointed out three key elements here- Moira, Lillian and the secret connected with Lex´s mum. They´ll all play a very important part in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanschana

Sooooo...... I want loads and loads updates!

...... please!
    I can promise you regular updates after February 2nd when I´ll be back home. The story´s already finished as you must know being one of my customary readers- I never post anything unless it´s already finished on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by cypanache
    I really like the premise of this. The angle with Chloe's mother and Lex's control of that serum is one I at least haven't seen really explored (Though I'm obviously still catching up on all the great fic here).
    The serum will play its role because Chloe DOES need to speak with her mum and there´s no way for her to do that unless Moira´s brought back to actual "consciousness" by some artificial means. Moira will provide a big piece of the puzzle but I don´t explore the use of the serum in depth. I´ve already made use of Moira´s powers and the serum in more detail in another fic, The Real Thing.

I do like Lex's introspection and his effort to fight his insistent need for answers (is he going to backslide on that? Oh please let him backslide just a little. An unquesting Lex is only half a Lex).
    You´ll see Lex in investigative mode soon. This fic is packed with secrets and the duo will work on one hell of an investigation to uncover them.Not everything is what it seems in this fic and you´ll be asking yourself as many questions as the characters themselves.

The one comment I have is I've got to admit I miss the sarcasm and double-edged statements. I'm not quite sure what to make of forthright Lex yet.
    There was little of the characteristic irony and sarcasm in this instalment- the one big exception being the small hospital scene between Lex and Lionel; there were some hints when they discussed Clark and Kara.

There will be many instances of sarcasm, and particularly double-meaning, in Lex´s exchanges with Chloe in postings to come. The straight-forwardness in the present instalment might have something to do with his effort to change, considering how bad he fared in the past being secretive. Still, as you said, that´s a big part of whom he is so you´ll have to wait and see if that character trait makes its appearance. Inquisitive he´ll certainly be because it won´t be Chloe alone the one to unravel the secrets and unveil the lies she´s just taken a peek at as well as the ones they´ll come across along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Esther25jm
    Awesome, Lexie!! I love these first few chapters and can't wait for some more!
    Thanks, Esther. I´m glad it´s already engaged your attention.
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 18:04.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

This is such an interesting start. I'm dying to find out what's going on. Too many questions accompanied these chapters and I can hardly wait for the next update! I'm wondering what Chloe saw in Lex' mind. And then I wonder what's going on in Lex' mind. The way he seem to be turning his life around, with his interaction with Kara and then with Chloe. All I can say now is, more soon!!!!!

Great start, I love the idea of Lex hearing echos of Chloe in his head and trying to resist the urge to go investigating and Chloe trying to keep all the walls up between them. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Hi, girls! This isn´t an update. I just wanted to thank Ally and Linda for their wonderful feedback- I hope I won´t disappoint you in my following postings-and to let you know I´m having a great time in Mendoza, the Andean province of my native Argentina.

I haven´t posted anything concerning my holidays on my LJ yet, but you can check out my last year comments to see some amazing pictures of Mendoza here. By the way this is the Argentinian province where the Aconcagua- the highest peak in America-is located.

Hugs!
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 18:05.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Wow! This is really interesting take on Fracture.

Love the mystery that is wrapped around Lionel, Lillian, Moira and the unknown character.

I'm also wondering what else Lex is going to give away/give back.

And like always love your Lois. Love that she is trying to protect both Kara and Chloe from cue ball.

Can't wait for more!!

Re: Secrets and Lies (PG-15) Feb.2nd, 2009

A/N: Thanks for awaiting so patiently. I´m back from my holidays so you´ll get regular updates now.

As I said at the very beginning I´ve manipulated and/or changed certain events from the show to suit my own purposes- including two storylines I wasn´t particularly pleased with:the fake pregnancy and the cloning of Grant.

CHAPTER 5: Unexpected

TWO MONTHS LATER- LEX´S MASTER BEDROOM

It was four o´clock in the morning and Lex was soaked in sweat, tossing and turning in his king-sized four-poster bed, the fine Egyptian cotton sheets twisted around his legs.

`Why, dad? ´ he asked with glassy eyes. `Why do you hate me so much? What have I done to you that you just can´t let me be happy for once in my life?´

`You should ask your mother.´

`Well, it´s too late for that now, isn´t it? You´ve never forgiven me for what happened to Julian, even though I told you it wasn´t me. He was the son you always wanted- that´s why you kept his umbilical cord stashed away in one of your secret labs all these years. You played God with all of our lives. You forced Lana to marry me using Clark as a pawn, changed her vitamin complex for hormones, and bribed a doctor to make us believe we were expecting a baby. I got to give it to you, dad, it worked beautifully. Lana thinks I´m a monster now. Everyone´s blaming me for all the atrocities you´ve committed, including cloning your own dead son. You even sold me he had never been dead in the first place and then... when you were sure I´d grown to love him like the little brother I´d lost all those years ago... you had him killed. If I hadn´t had a mugger bump into you on your way to the restaurant that fateful evening, I wouldn´t have had your mobile to read those compromising words: “Job done.” You´ve always seemed to enjoy humiliating me and taking away from my side everyone that´s ever meant something to me. ´

`I couldn´t take my revenge on your mother- I loved her too much to do that. However, she had betrayed me- in the worst way possible. I would have never laid a finger on her and that left you...´he cut himself off, `the apple of her eyes.´

`Betrayed you in what way?´

`That doesn´t matter now. Lex, son...´

`Who can be so base and unnatural as to torture his own flesh and blood?´ hissed Lex.

`I know it´s too late to undo the past but... Lex, do you remember that little chat we had... when you came to visit me in prison before the trial? There´s something I´ve got to tell you.´

`What? You´ve cried wolf too many times, dad.´

`You don´t understand. I haven´t got much time left.´

`Is this another cheap trick, dad?´

`No, it´s the truth. You can talk with Dr Nelson, son.´

`And what will he tell me? The lies you paid him to feed me?´

`No, Lex... You´ve got to listen to me. Miss Sullivan... she is...´

“Shut up!” screamed Lex, sitting up in bed, hyperventilating and soaking wet.

It had taken him several months to gather all the information and medical reports necessary to confront his father and, now that it was done, he only wished it were a nightmare. The man hadn´t denied anything- what´s more he had kept on pushing Lex´s buttons, telling him he had lied that time in prison. The old man had twisted the knife in the wound again by referring to a past conversation that was imprinted on Lex´s mind. He wished the bastard had lied three years ago, but Lex had incontestable scientific evidence that said he hadn´t.

Lionel had kept on trying to get Lex to listen to him and, then, the argument came to a sudden close on the top floor of LuthorCorp headquarters.

Leaving the bed to splash his face with cold water, Lex tried to stop thinking about what life had been like when Lionel was alive. He couldn´t let the bastard win even after death. The police inquiry concluded Luthor Sr had been robbed and attacked by some unknown assailant- the criminal had also incapacitated Luthor Jr, who happened to be in his father´s office at that time, and used the keys he had taken from Luthor Sr to operate the private elevator, fleeing with his loot. According to Luthor Jr, several objets d´art were missing, but there was no recorded tape of the robbery and murder since his father didn´t like cameras and microphones where he conducted business.

THE DAILY PLANET BULLPEN

It was two o´clock of an April afternoon when Chloe Sullivan came back from lunch and walked through the glass doors of The Daily Planet bullpen to find the editorial staff silently glued to the plasma screens.

The blonde reporter approached her desk, dumped her folders and notebooks filled with documents and scribbled notes for her following investigative report and, then, made her way to the centre of the room to have a better look at one of the monitors.

A photograph of Lex Luthor dressed in an obscenely expensive Italian custom-made suit was pasted on the screen as a voice in off gave a detailed account of his family, educational and business background. Chloe looked at her colleagues with a frown and wondered what the deal was. Unless some gutsy journalist had dug up some really juicy stuff on LuthorCorp and managed to circumvent the billionaire´s legal and not-so-legal fence to go public, she couldn´t understand the deadly quiet which had seized the room.

Suddenly, the picture came off the screen and was replaced by footage of a younger Lex accompanied by Chloe as they climbed down the stairs of Metropolis Court after the verdict on Lionel´s case was reached. She made an effort to keep her cool as she sensed several pairs of eyes focusing on her. `What the hell! I´ve got better things to do than going down memory lane on national television, ´she told herself.

And, then, when she was seriously considering Lex had developed a new power after his resurrection- the power to hypnotise the masses and keep them glued to the screen- the bomb came down: Lionel Luthor had been murdered in his office of three shots in his chest. The almighty Lionel Luthor couldn´t have died in normal circumstances. Chloe had always envisioned a somewhat bloody and over-the-top death for him- an orgasmic demise coming second on the list of possible alternatives.

So now Lex wasn´t just a billionaire in his own right, but would become the richest and most powerful man in America when he came into his father´s fortune- Chloe´s gut clenched, wondering how this would affect his latest efforts to walk the line.

“Sullivan!” came the thunderous call from Miss Kahn´s office, and the blonde reporter rolled her eyes.

“Here we go,” she said through clenched teeth as she marched to the editor´s office, trying not to do so by dragging her feet.

“Where have you been? Haven´t you heard the news?”

“I´ve just... “

“Seen it on TV? How come we didn´t know of Luthor´s passing until it was pasted on every TV screen of Metropolis?”

“I´ve just come from my lunch break, “ started to explain Chloe.

“And is that an excuse for journalistic sloppiness? Where´s the determined reporter I rehired two months ago?”

“Excuse me, Miss Kahn, “ said an apologetic Jimmy Olsen, knocking on the door and opening it just a crack.

“What!” exclaimed an irate editor.

“There´s an urgent delivery for Miss Sullivan,” he said sheepishly.

“Don´t you see we´re in the middle of a meeting here, Olsen?”

“Yes, madam, but I think...” he stammered, handing Chloe an envelope, “this is something she´ll like to see right away.”

“Unless it´s something that´ll provide The Planet with an exclusive the competition would be dying to snatch from our hands, I suggest you conduct your private affairs in your own time, Miss Sullivan,” hissed the temperamental editor on seeing Chloe fidget with the envelope in her hands. “Now, get yourself moving and bring me something worthy of the front page. You´re covering Luthor´s story, Sullivan. Take Olsen with you. See if he can snap a few decent pictures this time,” she barked, sitting back on her swivel chair and picking up the handset of her phone.” Well?” she looked at both youths, cocking an eyebrow,” what are you waiting for? “

“One of these days I swear to God I´ll throttle her,” said Chloe under her breath and heard Jimmy stifle a laugh as he followed her down the corridor. “I´ll text you with the instructions of when and where we´ll be meeting, Jimmy. I need a change of clothes.”

“Sure, Chloe. Aren´t you going to open it? “ he added pointing at the envelope she still had in her hand.

“Right now I need a shower and a jumbo cup of strong coffee, Jimmy,” she sighed, locking away her research in the bottom drawer of her desk and picking up her handbag.

CHLOE´S FLAT

Chloe shut the door of her Metropolis flat and- leaving her keys and handbag on the console table in the hall- took off her jacket, walked into the kitchen to turn on the coffee maker and started to strip on the way to her room. She threw the envelope on the dresser, put on her favourite green satin robe- a Victoria Secret gift from her cousin Lois- and went into the bathroom. She had a relaxing shower and then cleaned her face of make-up and applied a moisturising cream.

It was half past three when she sat down on the sofa with a cup of frothy black coffee and the mysterious envelope with the purple and black logo of LuthorCorp on her lap. After spending an extra ten minutes looking at it against the light of the lamp on the end table and deciding it wasn´t an explosive letter, she stretched her arm, took the gold-plated paper knife her dad had given her when she was rehired by The Planet and slit open the envelope.

The letter was handwritten on monogrammed paper and bore the signature of the late Lionel Luthor. Chloe took a large gulp of coffee and started to read its contents with a puzzled frown on her face.

“Bastard,” murmured Chloe with tears in her eyes.

METROPOLIS CATHEDRAL

It was a memorial service worthy of a king. Metropolis Cathedral was packed with throngs of business tycoons, foreign dignitaries and the crème de la crème of society- an over-the-top ceremony as it befitted a Luthor, but phony as hell.

Chloe sat on one of the pews at the back and surveyed the temple and attendance with a cynical eye. She spotted Senator Martha Kent sitting close to the atrium and thought Clark´s mum was perhaps the only soul in that place who was sincerely mourning the passing of Luthor Sr.

Lex and his half-brother Lucas were at the front receiving the condolences of the hundreds in attendance. The eldest sibling was wearing his trademark poker-face and the bastard son was flaunting that nonchalance he had shown on his brief visit to Smallville. Chloe bet neither of them really regretted the patriarch´s demise- the former because he had known him too well and the latter because he had been spared the acquaintance. Still, with Lex one could never be sure- his damnation had always been he felt too much and too deep. Who could say for certain what was going through his mind as he shook the a hundred and fiftieth hand of the evening.

“ Miss Sullivan?” asked a grey-haired bespectacled man, taking her by surprise.

“Yes?” she responded, eying him with a questioning look.

“My name´s James Sutton. I´m the late Mr Luthor´s attorney,” he explained, handing her a card.

“Will I need a lawyer?” she asked smugly.” I haven´t been researching for a Lionel Luthor exposé of late.”

“I´m not that kind of a lawyer, Miss. I handle estates, mainly.”

“Estates? “

“Yes.”

“Well, I´m afraid I haven´t got much to bequeath,” she quipped, flashing him a Sullivan smile.

“Mr Luthor left precise instructions for the reading of his will and your presence is requested.”

“Excuse me?” she frowned.

“The reading will take place in his offices at LuthorCorp Plaza at seven the morning after tomorrow.”

“Isn´t the reading supposed to be a private family affair?” she asked, casting a glance at Lex, who at that moment raised his eyes and shot her and the lawyer a fleeting quizzical look.

“I´m just following my client´s instructions, miss.”

Chloe wondered what other bomb the bastard would make explode after his death.

“At seven you said?”

“Yes, miss. At LuthorCorp Plaza.”

“I´ll be there,” she responded, and the dignified man said goodbye to her.

“Who was that guy, Chloe?” asked Jimmy, slipping next to her on the pew.

“Luthor´s lawyer,” she said, trying not to fidget on the seat under Lex´s smouldering look.

“Lex´s?” he asked with a hint of panic in his voice.” Is he suing the paper?”

“No, on both counts, Jimmy. It was Lionel´s lawyer. Come on, let´s go. We´ve seen enough,” she answered tensely, picking up her bag.

“Did you manage to get something juicy from him?” he asked enthusiastically.

“This is hardly the place to divulge corporative secrets, Jimmy,” she said scornfully.

“But... he said something to you. You looked confused for a moment there.”

“Did you spend the whole evening keeping tabs on me? What about Miss Kahn´s assignment?”

“I´ve got the pictures. Don´t worry, Chloe. You´re touchy. What´s wrong with you?”

“Well, the Luthors aren´t my favourite people, Jimmy. Every time I´ve crossed paths with them, things have invariably turned awry for me,” she explained, rushing to her parked Beetle.

“Hey, Chloe. What´s the hurry?” he exclaimed.

“You´ve got to develop the photos, and I´ve got an article to write before the deadline.”

“I´ve brought the digital camera, remember?” he smiled.” I won´t be needing a dark room, just a PC.“

“OK, whatever,” she said, fumbling with the car keys.” It´s open, Jimmy. Will you get in, please?” she beseeched him, looking at the church and hoping Lex had been detained by an Arab sheik or a European MP on his way to the front doors. She knew she´d have to face him sooner or later, but she preferred for it to be later than sooner.

“Are you sure everything´s all right, Chloe?” asked Jimmy with concern.

“Say... is your offer to put me up in your apartment still standing?” she replied, pulling the car out of the parking space and looking into the rear mirror to see if she could spot a familiar bald head.

“Sure. Have you got problems with the plumbing again?”

The plumbing! God, she wished it were that simple!

“It´ll be for a couple of days, tops.”

“Stay as long as you need, Chlo´. “

“Thanks, Jimmy.”

She knew it wasn´t the perfect hideaway, but the two places Lex would look for her first would be her flat and then Lois´. She hoped that look on his face didn´t mean what she thought it meant. Although Lex had been really trying to convince the world and her that he was a different man after the incident in Detroit, Chloe knew he was on a short fuse. The last time they had talked, when he came to The Planet after he had sold the newspaper and Chloe had been re-hired, she had seen something in him which convinced her it´d just take a small push to send him over the edge.

Chloe wasn´t afraid of taking risks when it came to investigating for a front-page story, but what Lex had shown her when her essence had been transferred to his body in that hospital room had caught her in his emotionally-thwarted web and made her realise their lives were more entangled than she´d ever thought. That day, after he left her apartment above The Talon, she had started digging up information about the past and ended up investigating Luthor Sr once again. What she´d discovered told her robbery might not have been the reason behind the old man´s death. Had Lionel pushed him over the edge?

She´d type the article on her laptop, send Jimmy´s photos as an attachment and call in sick. She´d have forty-eight hours to use the key Lionel had enclosed in the envelope and get ready for an encounter she was starting to dread.

tbc

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Great update, although it has just added another truck load to the questions I need answered What's the key for? Why is Chloe needed at the reading of the will? Is Lucas just around for the funeral/will reading or does he have a bigger part to play in all of it? What was Lionel trying to tell Lex about Chloe in his dream/flashback? Argh, so much I need to know.

I liked the twist on Lana's fake pregnancy. Can't wait for the next part!!

Terrific update. The mystery deepens and the curiosity of who really is Lexi's father. I'm wondering if Lionel had an affair with Chloe's mum and she is really the Luthor and if Lillian had an affair then who's Lex's real father. Hmmmm Dagney

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Good Lord it will get worse right?
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

You´ve raised up very interesting issues, girls. You´ll get your answers soon enough, but there´ll be more questions along the way. Some of your questions will be responded in my following update. And yes, things will get worse before they eventually get better.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information