+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Upper Hand (R) 1/31/10

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Exclamation Re: The Upper Hand (R) 5/25/09

You updated!! Yay!! I'm so happy!! And what a great chapter!! I'm so glad that Lex turned Gretchen down!! She is such a jerk!! How dare she grab him while Chloe was there even after Lex told her he wasn't interested!! Shame on her!! I'm glad that Chloe caught her at it!! Maybe Gretchen won't get anymore checks!! I really hope that Lex is honest about trying to be a better person!! I will be devistated if he goes back to his old ways, especially after he finds out what his father and Chloe put him through!! Please come back soon and update again!! I can't wait to find out if Chloe stays!!

Re: The Upper Hand (R) 5/25/09

Well, I did think that Gretchen might be a plant... more hoped than anything really, but yay! I'm glad she was working for Chloe so she is no actual threat to the Chlex.

Power to Lex for saying no, since that can't have been easy. He is just a man at the end of the day, and she is apparently gorgeous and persistant. Still, he proved he loves Chloe and that is the point, the very awesome and wonderful point

Loved, loved, loved the Chlex scene at the end! The apology, and the kissing, and... oh God, how she must say yes and stay with him! Its too good, super, it really is!

Hope you can write/post some more soon because this is still my fave fic right now (second is Super Switch )

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

A lovely update!

Good for Lex for realizing how he feels about Chloe and that he doesn't want to do anything to ruin his chances of winning her back.

I like that Chloe now knows how Lex feels about her, but I can't help but worry that the whole "Gretchen is a plant" stunt might come back to bite her.

This story continues to rock and I can't wait to see what happens next
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

A/N - Look at that! I updated something. Now back to reading.

Chapter 14 – Things Change

Chloe heard the words leave his lips and took a deep breath before continuing down the stairs. She wasn’t going to let him win that easily. She wanted to see him truly stunned into disbelief and relieved all at once. She wanted him to have the same look on his face that she had the time Clark took her to the prom, before leaving her there. No, she wasn’t going there, she thought.

She continued to sit in the car and watched as the main light in the apartment went off and the smaller lamp she suspected was next to the bed came on. She wanted to know how exactly he felt about being rejected by the one person that now he obviously wanted. Smiling to herself, she was ecstatic. She was finally wanted by someone – he was a felon, had no money, and a not so stellar reputation now, but it was someone.

Trying not to laugh, she brought herself back down from the strange high that she had received from his kiss. It seemed it wouldn’t dissipate. The enemy of my enemy is my friend she repeated silently in her head. Ok, that didn’t work very well though; Clark wasn’t really her enemy, just not her bosom buddy anymore. His enemy caused that directly. But even speaking to Clark on the phone earlier, he had admitted there had been some definite change in Lex’s demeanor the last time he had seen him.

Chloe sat and held her keys in her hand, still not starting the car. She was supposed to be there the next day. Clark would more than likely be out creating some new havoc trying to save people without being seen. His work with the Oliver incognito and Lana’s escape to far away had precipitated his advance in using his powers for good. Good for him, but she wasn’t real eager to sit in that house alone.

Upstairs, Lex sat on the bed and tried to ward off the headache that came on as soon as he heard the car door, although he hadn’t heard the car start up yet. Running over the short events of the evening, he wanted to tell himself he had made a mistake that was not solvable. He kissed her, which would lead to obvious repercussions later when they both felt up to talking about it.

On one hand, she had continued the kiss, showing that she obviously had at least the same feeling of needing something more from someone. He predicted that since Jimmy had been completely taken out of the picture months ago, she hadn’t seen anyone else. Unless, she had someone she didn’t speak about in London and that was the reason for her not even making eye contact when he asked her to stay.

And that was the mistake. He had never had to ask a woman. Actually, he thought about it, he didn’t ask this time either. The question came out more like a statement, an order. His thicker voice probably reminded her of his old refined self and scared her. At least he would get to see her in the courtroom. It really was poetic justice for him.

“Boy, you have lost your sense of alarm,” jolted Lex out of his thoughts as he saw her standing in front of him. Gaping, she was there with two bags in hand. “You used to pull a gun on a mouse running across the lawn of the mansion.” She stopped and tried to read him. “Are you ok?” she said quietly confused.

He couldn’t move. Why was his body hating him and not moving toward her now that she was actually there. “I didn’t think you were coming back.”

“It’s late and the boy scout is probably already in bed where he can get up at 4 AM or something. I would hate to disturb that and I’m sure you’ve seen the condition of the motel down the street and…” but she was cut off by his lips.

They were sweet; he had tested his dessert and was going along with his evening as if nothing out of the ordinary had occurred. Her eyes rolled back as Lex’s hands took both sides of her face and moved from there. She shivered at his hand moving down and wrapping her around the waist. She couldn’t breathe and it was a wonderful feeling.

Pulling away slightly, she gasped and then looked up into his eyes. The cold gray color that always seemed to set there in the last few years looked to brighten to crystal blue as if the warmth that she felt flowing through her body had melted the ice. “So, you can see him tomorrow. I’m sure he’ll be looking for you,” he whispered. “But tonight, relax.”

“Yeah, he’ll be looking for me early, but I have to leave before Bates gets here in the morning. I don’t think my car parked here all night, even the alley, is going to sit well with a judge.” She composed herself more and sat her things next to the couch of the way before pulling out her laptop. “I have an idea.”

Sitting down on the couch next to her, Lex was not quite relieved that she hadn’t questioned either kiss. Now that he had actually made a move after all the years wasted from the immaculately asinine plan of staying away from her, he wanted to know why. Was she just feeding his ego and taking it or feeling the same way? Her tongue moving to lick the inside of lips to tease him told him that there was more, at least he hoped. Maybe it was possible to come back from the brink of unhappiness and hatred.

“Pick one.” Lex looked up at the handful of movies in her hand. Tilting his head, he knew that she was breaking her own rules or at least the court’s rules. “Come on, don’t give me that look. This was my plan tonight to watch a movie alone and fall asleep. So my plans have changed just slightly.”

“This is against…”

“Who’s going to tell? Me? Come on – pick one.” Lex looked over the different films, some legal and others pirated. Only Chloe would see the gray matter of when the law is useful and not.

Grabbing one from her hand, he rolled his eyes at her. As he watched her silently put the other choices back in her bag, he thought about how different things were now in just that instance. The two hadn’t had a normal night, not even a normal day in years. Suddenly, everything was where they were years ago.

Except for the apartment, the situation seemed to be remarkably similar. One was under constant scrutiny, cut off from the real world by all means necessary. And the one person that could be able to bring relaxation and comfort was the one that resembled the enemy. The only difference is that Lex could leave his home, at least to go to work.

“I’m going to cut some of the cake up. We can at least try it since I baked it.” Chloe smiled as Lex walked back into the kitchen and retrieved the dessert that he had made while she waited for the computer to boot up and load the movie. He picked a classic, black and white, ironic for the man. He had never seen anything black and white until just recently, if even now.

Returning to the couch, he leaned back and nervously moved closer to her as she snuggled into the couch and pulled the blanket over her. “This is wonderful,” she answered as she took the first bite. Lex had really changed externally. No one would have pictured the leader of the international business world pulling off a fruit filled delicacy for himself. Ordering up from the kitchen was more his style. Yet, Chloe enjoyed the normalcy of it. She missed it.

Seeing Lex relax into the other end of the couch, Chloe now appreciated the use of the throw pillows that he had acquired. Glancing over in his direction, she watched his eyes as they never removed themselves from the computer screen. Even a laptop to watch a movie, Chloe thought, it must be a nice treat. “Come here. I promise not to bite tonight.”

“Does that mean literally or figuratively?”

Chloe smiled in his direction as he moved closer. “Maybe both. Although if we don’t get into an argument it’ll mean we’ve gone several meetings without one. What will we do if we stop verbally sparring?”

Lex nodded and pulled her into his shoulder and kissed the top of her head. “We could always go back to arguing about ethics.”

Lex pulled away to see her face as she tried to stifle a giggle. “Would that really be an argument now or are you still on shaky ethical ground and just pretending your way through your sentence to get your freedom and the girl?”

Lex threw his feet up on the edge of the coffee table and watched Chloe balance hers on top of his. “I think I may have a shot at the girl,” he joked as the movie credits rolled into the story. The two leaned into each other and quietly watched the rest of the movie.

Looking over an hour later, Lex noticed her eyes were still glued to the computer screen but were hazy. Stroking his hand through her hair, he sighed hearing her almost purrlike reaction to him. This all seemed surreal to him. It had taken him this far to understand loyalty, trust, and possibly what real love meant. All he had to do was lose everything to the one woman who seemed to have it all now.

The fact that she worked for his childhood enemy was still weighing on his mind though. Staring blankly at the screen, his mind wandered on how he could get her to talk about her new position and exactly what she was doing for Oliver. Leaning his head back and running his hands still through her hair, he second guessed. If he mentioned her job, more than likely the blacklash would simply be her angry at him for trying to get information out of her and they would be back at square one for real.

Feeling her hand and arm run along his midsection, he knew he still had the power of calculating his words, he would just have to be careful for what reason. Looking back down at her face again, her eyes drooped. Lex moved his shoulder and her head slowly came up. “Take the bed. Go. I’ll shut this off,” he whispered as Chloe nodded and grabbed her bag. He watched as she trudged to the bathroom slowly.

Chloe stared at herself in the mirror as she slipped into pajama pants and a t-shirt. She found it comforting waking up in his arms even though the whole evening was risky. Coming out of the bathroom, she noticed the lights in the apartment were already out except for the small lamp next to the bed. Chloe made her way to the bed and started to lay down.

“Comfortable?” she heard from his low, quiet voice. Strange how the sound of the voice had never changed but the feeling behind it was so different. She saw him leaned against the kitchen cabinet and guessed he was tidying up.

“Mostly. But something’s missing.”

“Another blanket?” Lex started toward the closet and could feel her hand brush his thigh purposely and stopped.

Looking up at him, she shook her head. “No, come on,” she playfully ordered as she tugged on his hand. “Look, I’m not going to make you sleep on your own couch. We’re both adults and despite the incredible urge to make this into something more, we know we can’t. So, let’s just sleep. I still think it’ll be one of the best nights both of us have had in awhile.”

Lex watched her pleading eyes as she continued to tug his hand. Easing herself over in the bed, he finally sat down on the edge and felt her hand drop from his. Pullling his shirt over his head, he thought twice about sleeping the way he normally did. Chloe and he were taking an awful risk by her just being there all night; she was his charge and could easily get in trouble if found out. “Chloe.”

“Just get undressed and get in bed.” She answered hearing the doubt in his voice. She turned over, smile plastered on her face. Partially, she was enjoying the mental tug of war that Lex was having with himself but mostly she finally was reclaiming the feeling from almost five years earlier. The last night they were together.

Like tonight, nothing happened. But Lex ran late that night visiting her in the safehouse and had no choice but to stay. Chloe knew even then he had a choice, but had stayed because of the same type of begging. Trying not to giggle, she thought maybe she had hit upon the way to get Lex to do what she wanted now that he had let his guard down.

Feeling the bed drop a little more, Chloe stayed completely still until she felt a cool soft feeling against her back. An arm snaked around and clasped her hand when it found the end of her arm. She sighed softly feeling his hot breath on the back of her neck. “Goodnight Chloe,” Lex whispered as he kissed her shoulder.

“Night Lex,” she replied as he scooted closer to her form and they both closed their eyes.

Lex turned and watched as the courtroom doors opened. His attorney, which he was not sure how he was being paid, along with Chloe and Clark both walked through the door. Feeling a bit nervous about Clark’s presence, he had never been sure if Clark was speaking on his behalf or simply there to watch his former friend still be punished.

Dr. Schell came through the door last and sat next to Chloe as his attorney, someone Lex didn’t know, pulled out numerous files and other papers. “Good morning, we’re going to try to get through this as painlessly as possible.”

Lex just grinned and ran his hands along his temples as he stared at the stacks of papers. “And what is all that for? Are you heading to a recycling plant later?”

The attorney looked over at him, a little put off by his attitude. “Mr. Luthor, I don’t know how much they have told you about your situation today. But here is the skinny. You could either go to prison, low security, for the next couple years for tax evasion, be looked on mercifully by the judge and given a few more months to a year in the same place you are now, or actually be released. However, without your accountant here to take his rap, that last option is a bit inconsequential. So, you can sit and make jokes, or nod your head at the right time and to the right questions.”

Lex stared at the man and then turned behind him again to see Mark and Bates coming in and sitting behind her. “Hey,” he whispered as Chloe looked up. “Where did you get him?”

Chloe smiled what Lex was worried looked like a nervous smile, “Mrs. Kent. He’s on loan. You should be gracious. Don’t piss him off.”

Lex’s eyes grew when he realized that Chloe must have gone to some lengths to procure a senator’s legal team or man. Turning back around, he instantly stood up at the judge’s entrance.

“Sit. I want everyone to be aware that this is a hearing for the continuance of Alexander Luthor’s incarceration. There are several witnesses on the list to be heard for character reference but I want both attorneys present to understand, we are not in a trial. I expect it to be treated as such.” The older woman judge leaned back in her bench seat as both attorneys nodded in compliance. “Ok, Call your first Mr. Silsbee.”

The hearing dragged on for another two hours. Lex sat up straight the entire time, only nodding when persuaded to and answering, “Yes ma’am,” several times to the judge as she instructed his future behavior. The way the judge spoke was clearly as vague as it got. After even hearing Chloe and Mark’s glowing reviews of his behavior and astonishing positive review from Clark, he still had no idea what the judge thought.

As Bates finally pulled up a chair beside Lex when Mr. Silsbee and the state’s attorney disappeared into the judge’s chambers, Lex was still nervous. “So what do you think?”

Chloe and Clark moved up to the seat right on the other side of the defendant’s seat. Leaning on the railing, he could tell that Chloe was tired. “You got a good chance at least at them lessening the punishment,” she stated as she ran her fingers along her temples.

“Clark?” Lex was curious and had to ask although he was somewhat afraid of the answer.

Clark locked eyes with Lex and could feel the pleading that Lex’s face gave away. He deserved to rot in jail, to be treated like he had treated others, but the facts were he was there for tax evasion where the buck stops at the boss, not at the person guilty. “I think they need to try harder to find your accountant.”

“You didn’t answer the question.” Chloe raised her head off the railing and stared at the two men having a strange pissing contest in the middle of the courtroom.

“Ok, I think you should take this time now that you trust a shrink to tell exactly the horrible things that you have done for years and have gotten away with or paid people off for. You should be behind bars for that. You shouldn’t even be sitting here for this. However, since that money obviously went to the right people to protect you, at this point, it seems fruitless to worry about whether you get to see freedom in six months or now.”

By the time Clark was done, Chloe had a firm grip on either sides of his shoulders and was motioning him to walk with her. Lex silently turned back around and stared at the front of the courtroom. Bates leaned over and whispered, “You’re a different person now Mr. Luthor. I can attest to that. It’s power that can simply destroy a man without his knowledge. I have no doubt you will be successful again once you get out; I just hope this time you’ll see the darkness before it takes over.”

Lex glanced over at the guard and was about to open his mouth before hearing both sets of doors open. One revealing the attorneys and the judge and the other Chloe without Clark. Looking directly in front of him, he heard over his shoulder, “Sorry.”

“Alexander Luthor.” The judge didn’t skimp or wait on the details. Mr. Silsbee nodded as Lex stood and faced the woman. “There are obviously things that you have done in your past that were shady and probably downright illegal.” Mr. Silsbee stood up. “Sit down sir. You know as very well as I that this is an opinion and not part of the judgment. As I was saying. Those unfortunately cannot bring bearing on this judgment. From what I have heard, there is at least a bit of remorse for your immediate past actions. I’m hoping that bodes the same for your actions previous to your personal economic meltdown.”

She stopped and Lex just crossed his hands in front of him. “Yes Ma’am.”

Smiling, she continued. “Uh huh. After speaking to both sides and hearing the testimony of your actions, I think taking you out of your element and now dropping you in prison would not serve a purpose but to destroy what possible rehabilitation that has taken place. Therefore, I am sentencing you to four months more of the status quo. However, you will not be required to attend anger management, AA, or psychiatric sessions unless you desire. Furthermore, no Saturday work camp and television will be installed. Any questions?”

Lex was partially speechless. He had gotten back basically his life. “I still would like to attend the sessions with Dr. Schell. The others I would like to see how it goes.”

“Done. Thank you and I look forward to closing this case in four months. Adjourned.” Lex stayed standing as the attorney silently smiled while packing his case. Walking away without a word, he knew the man still didn’t care for his client, just the check. Lex knew he a gracious hand written letter to pen when he got back to the apartment.

Turning around, he faced Chloe who calmly nodded her head and smiled. Gathering her things, she turned, “I will meet you back at the apartment. There are some other things that need to be discussed.” She started out as Mark caught up to her quickly.

Lex thought about how she and Mark cozied up right after the trial and wondered if there was more there than he had seen before. Bates said nothing to the extent. When he walked in the front door of the Talon, his breath hitched seeing Chloe and Mark in a strange, warm embrace that sent immediate mixed signals. And then Mark left out the kitchen door.

“Good. Bates?”

“I’ll be in the back miss,” he answered as he followed Mark back into the kitchen and office.

Chloe sat down at one of the small bistro tables. The place was quiet right now, closed for the hearing and would reopen the next day. She motioned silently for Lex to join her and watched as he sat down. Carefully reading his face, she was confused. “I thought you would be happy?”

“Happy isn’t exactly the right feeling. In four months, we’ll see. Besides, it seems there’s more going on in the Talon than I expected.” Chloe saw the all too familiar glare that Lex had in his eyes and then remembered what he walked into. “Mark and I are not an item. I was wishing him good luck.”

“With me?”

“No, that’s what I need to talk to you about. I didn’t want you to find out from the judge. Mark is leaving and taking a management job in New York. The opportunity was too good for him to pass up.” She stopped and waited for Lex’s expression to change from concern to relief. “Good, now for the part includes you. I’m not bringing anyone else in. I know its not Luthorcorp and not nearly as trying as your former job, but it might just keep you out of trouble. I want you to manage this place, at least until you get out of here.”

Lex covered his mouth to hide what Chloe couldn’t tell was his shock or just plain amusement. She hadn’t really done much for the offer; he had the same job he had given Lana years ago, just a different theme. “I get to look at the books.”

Chloe looked up from her hands, worried he would laugh at her. “Of course.”

“I make menu and other changes as I see fit for the longevity of the place.”

He was taking the job seriously. Good, she had hoped for this outcome. “Major cosmetic or implementation changes will go through me. And the sign off for all major purchases through me. And no hiring external help for the books. It got you into this mess.”

“Agreed, when do I start?”

Chloe stood up from her seat and put her hands on her hips. “Mark is aiming to leave in 48 hours, so he needs to go over things with you before then. I would take the closing today as a good time to do that.”

“And I guess this means you’re off to Europe again?” Lex dropped his voice into something more sultry than his business tone as he moved closer to her.

“I’m leaving tomorrow, but have some work in Metropolis tonight, so I’m leaving here pretty quick.” The next sentence didn’t make it out of her mouth as Lex moved in and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into him tight.

“Call when you arrive safely?” he whispered. “And try not to be gone all four months.”

Chloe looked up in his eyes and suddenly saw true, believable sadness pass through the blue. “I will, and I’ll see.” Putting her head back down to his shoulder, she couldn’t kiss him like she was sure he wanted. She wouldn’t be able to leave if she did.

TBC

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: The Upper Hand (R) 6/22/09

Great update!! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad that Chloe and Lex didn't sleep together!! Ok, technically they slept together but they didn't have sex!! I think they should wait until Lex finds out that she is working with his father!! Will he still care for her when he finds out how she had a hand in his misfortunes?!! Please post again soon!!

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Re: The Upper Hand (R) 6/22/09

That was a nice update but why do I feel the other shoe is about to drop?
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Super, that was awesome I'm so glad you finally got a chance to update this because you know it is pretty much my fave fanfic on the whole internet right now

I love the way you're handling the Chlex in this. I agree with autumngold, it worked better with them literally sleeping together that night, rather than having the sex. It was like they connected in a deeper way than they might've if it was just physical... Yeah, well, I know what I mean

Anywho, I also hope that Chloe doesn't stay away for the whole four months. Good to hear that she wouldn't be able to leave at all if she kissed him - she really does love him. Here's hoping it doesn't all fall apart when Lex finds out about Lionel and everything...

Hope you can update again soon

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was just beautiful!

I like that the people closest to Lex see how much he's changed and that he's a better person now. Well, everyone but Clark. I think Lex could cure cancer and Clark would still find fault with him.

And good for Lex for telling Chloe how much he'll miss her--GOOD MAN! Now I just want her to tell him the truth about Oliver and Lionel.

This story continues to rock
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

An update, at last! Things have been going rather slow on the forums of late and I´ve been missing everyone´s regular updates.

I really enjoyed this new chapter and how Chloe and Lex´s "relationship" is evolving.

I agree with Kit that no matter what Lex does Clark will always find fault with but, at least here, he was "generous" enough to put a word for him.

Now, I´m curious about what´s going to happen when Lex finds out that Lionel is playing an important role in all this. I believe everything will explode in Chloe´s face pretty soon. I wonder if she´ll be able to do damage control and get the man in spite of everything.
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd June 2009 at 01:46.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

It gets better and better

Can`t wait for more
    Malu

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information