+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding (Sequel to Crossing Paths) PG-13/R Upd. 9/26/08 (COMPLETE)

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Rebuilding (Sequel to Crossing Paths) PG-13/R Upd. 8/15/08

I love writing Lois and I´m glad it shows. And, yes, they´ll go on a date- their first one- and from now onwards there´ll be a lot of sexual tension between these two.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th March 2009 at 05:26.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

I've just managed to steal enough time to read this one. What a fantastic start, I love Chloe's relationship with Lex's children and I also love hormonal Lois!

Your Lex has done a superb job of letting his children know that they are loved and wanted and with Chloe by his side they would both make parents that anyone would want.

Great job, sorry I couldn't read it sooner.

I like how Chloe is with Lex and the children. I hope she is honest with him about her feelings cause someone has got to take the risk. I think Lex allowing Chloe to get close to his childern is the highest complement as he trust her not to stomp on their hearts if he can just let her into his. Dagney

There´ll be talk of taking risks in my next posting, so stay put. I´m really happy you appreciate the strong bond that has developed between Chloe and Lex´s children- there´ll be a lot more interaction in the following chapters.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th March 2009 at 05:27.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

I'm so glad your writing a sequel to Crossing Paths. The first two chapters were fabulous. I love the relationship Chloe has with Alex and Lily, they are two cute children. Lois was wonderful in the second chapter, and I love that she's pregnant. Bringing Martha to watch the kids was a great idea. I can't wait to read how their first date goes!!

Well, there´ll be some more Chloe-children bonding and Mamma Kent´s advice before we see Lex and Chloe on their date, but it´s coming!!!

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

No charge for awesomeness

Excellent start to your sequel. I'm loving the dynamics so far. Mama Kent was a big surprise, but Lex couldn't possibly turn that down. Can't wait for more

A/N: Once again thank you for the wonderful reviews. Here´s some more babies-Chloe bonding and some sage advice provided by Mama Kent. Enjoy!

CHAPTER 3: Afraid

LILLIAN´S NURSERY ROOM- 5.20 p.m.

Martha had been at Clark´s when Lois answered Chloe´s cry for help. It hadn´t taken much to convince Mrs Kent to come to the rescue, especially when little ones were involved. Moreover, she cared for Chloe as if the girl were her own daughter and, despite the fallout between Lex and Clark, Martha had always felt a special affection for the tortured boy. ¨They deserve to be happy and so do those innocent babies. Of course I´ll go, ¨she had told her daughter-in-law.

Now she was in the nursery room where Lilly lay asleep in her crib, and the smell of baby powder and cologne tugged at her motherly heart.

¨Chloe wasn´t lying, Lex. She´s a little angel. I´ve never seen a baby girl as beautiful in sleep, ¨said Martha warmly, caressing Lilly´s cheek and raising her eyes to meet the young man´s.

¨Sometimes I look at her and... can´t believe my blood runs through her veins, ¨he murmured, stepping closer to straighten up the small sheet.
    Martha looked at the boy´s profile and cursed Lionel Luthor for his constant attempts to crush his only surviving son´s self-esteem.

¨Your mother´s blood runs through her veins as well, Lex, ¨she told him, placing a hand on his shoulder, trying to stir him from his gloomy mood.

¨Thanks, Mrs Kent, ¨he responded with a tense smile, slipping his hands in the pockets of his trousers- a defensive gesture Martha remembered from his days in Smallville.

¨There´s nothing to thank me for, sweetie. Now, why don´t you go and get changed? I´ll watch over Lilly. Chloe´s told me the time for her bottle´ll be in ten minutes, so I´ll be here when she wakes up, ¨she shooed him away.

A quarter of an hour later Chloe walked into the nursery room to find Martha sitting in the rocking chair bottle-feeding the baby.

¨I´m sorry. It took me a few minutes more than I´d planned, Mrs Kent, ¨apologised Chloe. ¨I knew Lilly´d feel comfortable with you, ¨she smiled, getting closer to Martha.

¨She´s so perfect, ¨said Clark´s mum, looking into a pair of blue-grey eyes which clearly showed the baby´s parentage.

¨I told Lex she´ll be a heartbreaker at Junior High, ¨added Chloe as she watched Lilly latch on the tit with enthusiasm.

¨And who´s that young man over there? ¨said Martha, looking towards the door.

¨Alex! ¨ beamed Chloe. ¨Why don´t you come over and say ´Hi!´ This is Martha, Clark´s mum. You remember my cousin Lois, right? Martha´s her mother-in-law. ¨

¨You´ve all grown up since I last saw you, ¨Mrs Kent told him warmly as she placed Lilly on her shoulder to burp her.

A silent Alex looked at the reddish-brown-haired woman holding his little sister and then fixed his eyes on Chloe, who was wearing an unbuttoned long black coat over the stylish dress Lois had insisted she should buy.

¨Hey, buddy, what´s wrong? ¨asked Chloe with concern in her voice when the boy rushed to where she was standing and wrapped his arms tightly round her hips. ¨Alex? ¨she insisted when the child pressed his cheek on her lower abdomen and she felt him tremble. ¨What´s wrong, Alex? ¨she ruffled the boy´s reddish-brown locks with a hint of panic in her voice- he had never been that clingy and, although she didn´t mind the embrace, she felt a kind of desperation in the gesture.

Martha and Chloe exchanged worried looks when the child fled from the room, disturbing the harmonious atmosphere of a few minutes ago.

¨I´d better go and see what´s wrong, ¨Chloe told Clark´s mum.

¨Sure. I´ll put the baby to bed in the meantime, ¨smiled the older woman.

Alex´s bedroom was just across his sister´s and, although Chloe knew Lex had stashed away all keys as a means of precaution lest the boy get accidentally locked in while playing- she didn´t push the unlocked door open but knocked on it before entering.

¨Alex, can I come in? ¨she asked, opening the door just a crack.

The boy didn´t answer, but Chloe stepped in when she saw him splayed face down on the bed. Something was definitely wrong, and she had every intention of finding what it was.

¨Alex, honey, why don´t you tell me what´s wrong? You know you can tell me anything. What´s bothering you? ¨she asked softly, sitting on the bed and combing her fingers through his hair. ¨Alex? ¨

¨I don´t want you to go away, ¨came the muffled response.

¨What makes you think I´m going away? ¨answered the blonde woman.

¨Why are you wearing that dress? ¨ he asked in a shaky voice.

¨Don´t you like it? ¨said she with a grim foreboding.

¨Mum always put on pretty dresses, ¨he added tensely.

¨Oh, honey! ¨sighed the young woman, confirming her suspicions. ¨I´m only dressed up nicely to go out with your daddy tonight. ¨

¨I don´t want you to leave, ¨he sniffed, fisting the pillow.

¨Alex, look at me, baby, ¨she told him, swallowing the lump in her throat. ¨I´m not going anywhere. All right? ¨she went on, wiping the tears away from the boy´s face. ¨I´m coming tomorrow afternoon as promised. We´re going to the zoo, remember? ¨

¨Won´t you stay here tonight? ¨he asked with a forlorn look.

¨I don´t live here, Alex, ¨she explained, brushing some reddish hairs off his forehead.

¨But I want you to, and Lilly does too. I know she does, ¨he insisted with glassy eyes.

¨Come here, ¨she told him, and the boy flung himself into her open arms. ¨You know I love you, Alex, don´t you? ¨she kissed him on the head. ¨There´s nothing to be afraid of. I´m not going anywhere, OK? Even if I don´t live with you, I´ll always be here for you and Lilly, ¨she hugged him tightly.

¨Don´t tell dad that I´ve cried, ¨he replied, placing his head on her shoulder and clinging to her neck.

¨Crying´s all right, Alex. Your dad won´t get mad at you. You know... Can I tell you a secret? ¨she whispered in his ear.

¨Mm, ¨he nodded.

¨I´ve seen him cry too, ¨she confessed.

¨You´ve seen dad cry? ¨he replied with a surprised look on his face. ¨When? ¨

¨Oh, many years ago! But don´t tell him that I told you, OK? It´ll be our little secret. So you see, Alex, men can cry too. It´s nothing to be ashamed of. It´s good to cry from time to time, ¨she smiled, blinking to chase away the moisture from her own eyes.

¨Do you also cry? ¨he asked gravely, using a tone of voice which would have made Lex proud.

¨Oh, lots! ¨she laughed, pinching his nose.

Lex felt a clench in the gut when he overheard his son pouring his utmost fears into Chloe´s understanding ears. Witnessing the nurturing scene between them had further convinced Lex of what an extraordinary woman Chloe was while, at the same time, it had shown him they were playing a dangerous game. Not only he himself had developed a strong addiction to the blonde, but his children had also become extremely attached to her in the last five months. The state of affairs meant that if he were to commit a faux-pas and alienate Chloe, it wouldn´t be just two people hurt in the process this time, and such a danger scared Lex witless.

Getting caught snooping would have rendered the situation even more uncomfortable so Lex removed himself from the doorway stealthily; he´d take a few minutes to collect himself in the privacy of his room and then come out under the pretence of just having finished his ablutions. Someone would know the truth, though- Martha Kent. Clark´s mum had seen him standing outside Alex´s door and he was sure she had heard most of the conversation from the nursery, which was just across. Lex and Martha had crossed looks when he turned around to go back to his quarters and the sympathetic gentle smile on her face had said it all.

Ten minutes later a freshened-up Chloe walked back into the nursery to find Lilly already in bed but still awake.

¨Her teeth are giving her some discomfort, ¨said Martha, giving the baby girl a teething ring.

¨It´s amazing how fast they grow up, isn´t it? ¨responded Chloe nervously.

¨Is everything OK, sweetie? ¨asked Martha concerned.

¨It is now, I guess, ¨the reporter lifted her eyebrows. ¨I don´t know, Martha. Sometimes I feel I´ve taken on too much. Half the times I just don´t know what I´m doing. I´m scared of blowing it, of saying or doing something that might do more harm than good. ¨

¨That´s exactly what motherhood feels like. It´s frightening, but I wouldn´t change it for the world. ¨

¨Yes, Martha, but I´m not their mother, ¨murmured Chloe, letting Lilly grip one of her fingers tightly.

¨You´re not their biological mother- neither am I Clark´s – but you love them and they you and that´s what matters, ¨said Martha quietly, squeezing Chloe´s arm gently.

¨Your situation and mine are completely different, though. You were a family when Clark came along. Don´t get me wrong, I appreciate having them in my life but it´s just... ¨answered Chloe in a raspy voice.

¨You´re afraid Lex might get spooked and drive you away once they´re back on their feet so to speak? ¨asked Martha, studying the young woman´s face. ¨He´d never do anything to hurt these kids, ¨she added when she saw Chloe nod. ¨He knows the bond you have with them´s too strong. ¨

¨I´m aware of that, Martha; he´s everything Lionel never was for him as a father, and that makes me so proud. But I´m afraid sometimes he´s so focused on not failing them that he´s forgetting to live. ¨

¨Well, that´s what this outing´s all about, isn´t it? I think I know where this is coming from, sweetie. It´s written all over your face. You´re afraid of your feelings for him and of what he´ll do about them, ¨said Martha sagely. ¨He isn´t Clark, Chloe. He isn´t clueless. I love my son but, sometimes you have to hit him with a hammer for him to see what´s right in front of his eyes, ¨she chuckled.

¨I hope you´re right because, although I tell myself being friends is better than nothing, deep in my heart I know it isn´t true, ¨she said shakily, hearing Lex´s bedroom door open.

¨You look beautiful, Chloe. Set your heart at rest, everything´ll turn out all right, ¨Martha told her as she took the young woman´s hands in hers and pressed a motherly kiss on her cheek.

¨Well, here I am, ladies. The limo´s waiting for us, Chloe. Shall we go? ¨asked a perfectly composed Lex, looking dashing in an Armani dinner jacket.

Chloe fixed Martha with a questioning glance needing the woman to reassure her she hadn´t ruined her make-up once again.

¨Yes, you´d better go, ¨answered Clark´s mum, adding an imperceptible nod addressed to Chloe, ¨the show starts in forty minutes. I´ll fix Alex and me some dinner and we´ll watch some cartoons Lois has rented. ¨

¨I´ll go get my purse, ¨smiled Chloe, turning around to face Lex, feeling her knees suddenly weak.

¨Wait for me in the foyer, Chloe. I´d like to have a word with Martha before we leave, ¨he told Gabe´s only daughter as she crossed the threshold.

¨OK. I´ll say goodnight to Alex, ¨ she responded a little short of breath.

Martha observed the patrician young man´s face and body language when he followed Chloe´s receding figure with his eyes; there was no doubt in her mind they both felt the same way for each other.

¨Mrs Kent... ¨began Lex, stepping into the nursery room. ¨I really don´t know what I can do or say to thank you... ¨

¨We´ve been over this, Lex. I´ve already told you it´s a pleasure for me to watch over your kids... You need this... and so does Chloe. When Jonathan died... ¨she shook her head ¨... I tried to focus on what I had left. Clark and the farm became my life... but there comes a time when you also have to start thinking about yourself. You´re young, Lex, and so is Chloe. She´s been hurt almost as many times as you have, and she´s scared... as scared as, I´m sure, you are. ¨

¨You know I care about her, Mrs Kent, don´t you? I´d never do anything to hurt her, but I´ve seen what she´s sacrificed because of me. ¨

¨It was her choice to make, Lex. Now, if you´re worried about her friendship with Clark... let me tell you... my son can be as stubborn as his late dad. Lois´lll handle him just as I handled Jonathan and things´ll get back on track. ¨

¨I know how important their friendship´s for Chloe- just as important as her profession. I didn´t want her connection with me to destroy her dreams... ¨

¨You´re both adults, Lex. As far as I know, she´s happy with her job at The Herald- at least, that´s what I think based on what Lois and Chloe herself have told me. We talked a lot when she used to come to Smallville to interview me during my term of office; and my impression was she liked what she was doing. If you feel there´s something in her life she´s dissatisfied with, maybe you should ask her what her dreams really are. Chances are they´re similar to yours. ¨

¨Martha, I´ve never been good at heart-to-heart conversations. I´ve been taught to use words to manipulate, outmanoeuvre or hurt people. I´ve mastered the art of extricating myself from tight spots using my wit, but this is one tight spot I don´t know how to handle with words. ¨

¨Then, don´t speak. Show her. You don´t need to resort to Luthor grand gestures. She´s taken the first step organising this outing with Lois´ help. She´s exposed herself to heartbreak; now´s your turn to decide what you´ll do about it. Don´t let the chance to be happy pass you by, Lex. ¨

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Re: Rebuilding (Sequel to Crossing Paths) PG-13/R Upd. 8/22/08

Wow, this made me a bit misty eyed. I was moved by the scene with Alex and Chloe. Who doesn't adore wise martha . I'm exicted for Lex to reach out to Chloe. Dagney

No charge for awesomeness

Re: Rebuilding (Sequel to Crossing Paths) PG-13/R Upd. 8/22/08

Great update. I love little Alex and Chloe's conversation. You captured some very real emotions a child that age would have given the circumstances he has endured. I'm glad Lex heard it though and knows that this isn't just about him this go round. He's got two children who would be affected by any mistakes he makes with Chloe. Let's hope he gets it right.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information