+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Assignment: Paradise (R) Finished 8/23/08

Imperial Dragon Senior Member Impress's Avatar

Re: Assignment: Paradise (PG13) New 5/23/08

A good start. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

I really like the start of this and can't wait for more. It is a very intriguing start. I especially like the fact that is seems like Lex is going to go searching for our dear Miss Sullivan.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Fluff? What fluff? This has substance and intrigue. Sadness for Chloe having to deal with Gabe's death. How and if Lex will find her? What is Chloe going to do with her life? Where did she go? This is better than fluff, it is romance and I can't wait to see where it goes.

I'm curious to see where this goes...

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Working on three stories at the same time? That´s pretty amazing, superag.

I really like the beginning of this one and look forward to finding out what Chloe´s plans are and what steps Lex´ll take to keep tabs on her. His indifference in front of Clark and Lana´s something none of us would buy.

Keep posting!
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

What a great start. I am wondering where she went and why isn't she going to school. More please...
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

I love this story and see how play out

The Masked Phantomess Senior Member Augustine86's Avatar

As per your request, superag, I immortalize here the words I said in the shoutbox: If you don't continue it I will hunt you down. Like a dog, superag, like a dog.

Not my nicest review but you know deep down I love you, right? And I never threaten an author with bodily harm unless the story is totally worth it so you should feel flattered, really.

Intriguing beginning... I wonder where Chloe has gone and why her and Lex haven't spoken since Gabe's funeral? I love though, that Chloe decided to move on from Smallville and find some happiness somewhere else. Great start--I can't wait to read more!!

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

A/N - thank you for all the great reviews. You all had such wonderful questions, but remember this is supposed to be light. But the questions will get answered as we go. Keep up the great feedback and enjoy the next part with a pina colada.

Searching for Something More – Chapter 2

The woman looked Chloe over in her cotton sundress and bags in her hands and smiled, “I’m sorry honey. This is for a permanent position; I don’t need any summer help.”

Chloe glanced down at her appearance seeing what the woman was looking at and felt disgruntled. “I’m not looking for a temp job; I’m moving here.” Chloe dropped her bag where she stood and looked at the woman and around the store again. “So, I’m going to need something to pay bills and those kinds of things. What do you say? I honestly haven’t done retail, but would work harder than any other person on this island.”

“My name is Safina, and I own the shop. These are my own creations and I have a little studio in the back. With the summer coming, I need more time in the studio and someone to watch the floor. It’s pretty simple.” Safina took Chloe’s bags and disappeared into the studio with them. Returning, she smiled and opened the front door of the shop. “Come here.”

“My name is,” she hesitated, “Cherise Clare.” Chloe gulped silently at the quick thinking, not knowing why those names came to her. Gaining her composure, she followed the woman out to the small front porch of the store that looked out on a grove of palm trees and other shops. Sitting down, she smiled pleasantly at the woman. “Don’t I need to complete some paperwork or something?”

“In due time child. Look, over there is a wonderful little diner who’s coffee is not Starbucks. Over there is Thomas’ shop. He is a sculptor and is breaking in an apprentice, but we don’t think he’ll be very good. And over there is Magnil and her day spa. She’ll do your hair when you want it done. Those other shops have moved in and out over the last season. Everyone is laid back and we have dinner at 6 under the palms there. Where are you staying?”

A big smile broke over Chloe’s face as she felt the wind lightly whip through her hair as she looked at the overly tan woman. “I haven’t honestly thought that far ahead.” She stared at the woman sheepishly as the woman disappeared back into the shop for the moment. Reappearing, she was speaking in half English sentences to someone else and smiling at Chloe. Hanging up the phone, she clapped to herself. “Here she comes.”

Chloe stood up and followed the woman down the stairs and met the woman from the day spa. Holding out her hand, she greeted the woman from the spa. “Cherise.”

“Magnil. I have a place for you, but it’s small. I dare call it a one bedroom, but it opens to gardens all around. And it has A/C, which is probably the most important.” The three laughed as they noticed all of them were beading up with sweat even in the breeze.

“Thank you. I’ll see you at dinner then?” Safina patted Chloe on the back and walked her back over to the shop just as a couple in badly pressed cargo pants entered.

“Now dear, here’s your interview. “ Safina went back behind the counter as Chloe approached the two, paying particular attention to the woman and what she was already wearing.

“Welcome, can I interest you in anything in particular.”

“We’re just looking,” the man coldly answered as a way to snub the discussion.

“We have a daughter about 12 who we are buying for. Nothing to ornate, but delicate that she can wear to a party this summer.” Chloe nodded in understanding and guided the woman gently over to some of the smaller pieces that hung neatly on the wall.

“Her eyes are?” Chloe nodded again at the response and picked up two glass drops on simple single chains. “These would be the nicest for a girl of that age. The color will compliment her complexion and eye color if she is the same complexion as you ma’am.”

The woman smiled and handed both pieces back to Chloe, “I’ll take them both. We’re going to look around a little more.” Chloe smiled and walked over to the counter. Safina pulled out two small necklace boxes and handed them to her.

“You’re hired,” she whispered as Chloe smiled back at her while carefully packing the two pieces up in the boxes. “By the way, we cook for everyone tomorrow night. You will need to learn some island fare quickly.” Safina patted her on the back and disappeared into her small studio and shut the door. Chloe somewhat jumped when the radio in the back came on.

The first night of the joined dinner ended late. She had met so many different faces, all intrigued in her desire to give up everything for a new life. The apprentice, Steven, was a riot. He was like watching a six year old off his ADD medication. She barely could contain herself when he fell out of his chair while trying to show that he could in fact balance on just the hind legs. From what she had heard, he was a transplant. His parents had moved to the islands several years earlier and recently moved back to the states. He stayed behind; he called himself the eternal beach bum. Bum definitely, she thought to herself as his boss dogged him in detail during the after dinner drinks.

“Can I walk you home?” Steven panted as he caught up to Chloe as she locked up the shop and picked up her bags. He pulled one from her hand and walked back with her.

“No, I going with Magnil, but thank you.” Chloe shook her head and smirked. Steven was cute. His sandy brown hair obviously suffered from the effects of the sun and salt water by being stringy and all over the place. His tan skin was nice to look at though, especially in his tank top and shorts. Chloe couldn’t believe her luck. For years she had been through dead end relationships, Clark’s Lana issues, Lex’s relationship hangups, Jimmy’s one and done problems, and numerous others and meteor freaks. She giggled to herself thinking it took a trip across water to find someone who biggest problem was that he didn’t have problems. According to Steven, your problems stay on the mainland.

Steven shrugged and walked off in the opposite direction. Magnil wrapped her arm around Chloe and whispered, “No. You think your men had hangups back in Boston. Steven causes his own drama. He’s moved from place to place on these islands to get away from women when things would go bad. Most were visitors and they just left. Just be cautious – it’s not the big bad city, but you can really lose yourself here.”

Chloe shook her head in silence as the two boarded the small passenger ferry for her new home. She felt already at home. Passport stamped, only two suitcases, but a whole new set of memories to create. She closed her eyes and felt the sunset’s last few rays sink into her skin. The wind’s slight chill gave her goosebumps as she leaned on the rail and watched one island’s edge disappear for another’s.

“This is your room,” Magnil said as she put one of Chloe’s bags down. She flipped a switch and a light blinked on. “There’s a small bathroom through there with a bathtub and a small kitchen there.” Chloe smiled at her new surroundings. “Now, tomorrow if you get up early, we can go into town and pick up some other things for you, like sunscreen.” Magnil touched Chloe’s shoulder that went from white to bright pink when she released her finger. “That’s not good. I have some aloe in the house; I’ll be right back.”

After her bath, Chloe sat out on the little porch of the small detached apartment and looked through the trees. She could just barely see the crystal blue water through the branches. The apartment wasn’t much, but it was now home.

Lex sat back in his chair and stared at the pictures that he had intercepted from the airport security cameras. Chloe had obviously made all the perfect plans in getting on the plane that she did. She was first class, dressed impeccably in her light colored sundress and light sweater. Her name had appeared on the passenger list that he had obtained the morning she flew. Gliding his hand over the photo of her going through security, he smiled knowing she must finally be happier than in Smallville; he would be if he were there.

He sighed wondering if entering her life after she had obviously made her peace without him would be the right move. Thinking about how he had left things, he was quite sure that she would never want to see him again.

He had never meant to alienate her after her father’s passing. The moments of their passing in casual had simply faded since after he had helped arrange her affairs. She stopped coming to him for guidance, especially after he and Clark had their last argument. Even with Lana hooked directly to his arm, Chloe still stood by Clark.

He had even made the attempt to fix things, but for once, at least for him, he lost courage to upset the delicate balance that Chloe had created. She had moved onto Charles, a junior at the school that was decently handsome and treated her well.

Lex felt bad about tailing the young man, but Chloe was still someone he had taken under his wing and protection, that he failed at miserably and still regretted. He remembered his confidant sending in messages about her last date with Charles, not but a couple of weeks ago. He had taken her to the Top of the Towers in Metropolis before Prom to treat her to the perfect dinner and some before Prom dance practice in a quiet environment.

Lex remember he was impressed that a high school junior was so smooth in his position. Charles, though, wasn’t from any family. He was the son of the newest junior executive on the board at the Smallville plant. Lex admitted the jealous green giant overwhelmed when his crony sent a picture message of the two in each other’s arms. Lex had nothing to be jealous of; he and Chloe had never been involved for more than friends and partners. It wasn’t like she was a leggy brunette that would drop everything to meet him in the bedroom. That was his style.

That was about thirty minutes before his informant noted that prom would never be attended by the two. Chloe had broken the young man’s heart. Charles had held her hand and nodded in sad agreement at words that Lex assumed were something like, “I just want to be friends.” Chloe had always been honest to a fault. That was good though, he thought, at least one of them should be.

He stopped and pulled out his phone again. Punching the memory button, the picture of her being dipped on the dance floor showed off her laughing smile as the young man balanced her on his arm. But leggy brunettes didn’t smile at him like that or have conversations of depth with him over coffee in the evening. Sliding his feet off the edge of his desk, Lex stared at her picture and suddenly felt a knot build up in his throat. Lowering his eyes, he wondered how Lana and Clark could simply let it go the way he had told them to.

Dialing the phone, he spoke to someone on the other end of the line. “Yes, I said St. Thomas. I’m looking for a woman that looks like the picture that I am sending you right now. Call me when you have her located.”
    Lex hung up the phone and stared at the pictures of her in the airport. He looked at the passenger list and figured it would be a couple of weeks at the most, but he would find her. This time, though, would be different. It wasn’t about power over her or her needing him – she was his closest friend. He missed her terribly. And he wanted her to know it.

TBC...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information