+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Completely Mental Misadventures Of Mr.Mxyzptlk (PG-13 to NC-17)

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!

The Completely Mental Misadventures Of Mr.Mxyzptlk (PG-13 to NC-17)

Title: The Completely Mental Misadventures of Mr. Mxyzptlk – Story 1: The Iceman Cometh
    Author: scifichick774
    Rating: PG-13
    Category: Supernatural/Humor/Romance/Drama – honestly, it’s got a little bit of everything. The pairings are all over the place, but Chlex fans won’t be disappointed.
    Spoilers: Anything through the second season is fair game.
    Summary: Mr. Mxyzptlk decides to go back in time to cause mischief in Smallville, since Clark isn’t Superman yet and won’t know how to send him back to the fifth dimension.
    Disclaimer: Not mine, no infringement intended, please don’t sue.
    Archival: Sure – just let me know where.
    Author’s Note: I don’t know how many of you are familiar with the Superman fandom outside of Smallville, but Mr. Mxyzptlk is an imp from the fifth dimension’s land of Zrfff. It sounds like I just made that up, but I honestly didn’t. His main purpose in the comics seems to be to play pranks and cause mischief for Superman. Since he is from the fifth dimension, he can basically do anything (which means great fun for me as a writer).

The first story, The Iceman Cometh, has elements from CT’s challenge in it. A kid named Cole who has been affected by the meteorites and has X-Men’s Iceman-like powers. He gets blamed for a series of crimes, and it’s up to Clark and his friends to help him clear his name. On a side note, I’m sorry CT. I know you were probably expecting a more drama/action oriented fic, but this was the best I could do. I hope you like it anyway.

What else should you know? Despite the fact that I dislike Helen, she’s in the first couple of stories. And Lucas has come back to Smallville to stay. Each story in the series will be two to three chapters long. Hope you enjoy this first one!

~*~*~*~*~*~

The fifth dimension – Zrfff

Mr. Mxyzptlk looked at the multi-dimensional viewer screen in front of him. What had ever possessed him to tell Superman about the clause for sending him back to the fifth dimension was beyond him.

“Good idea. Tell him that you’re sent back to Zrfff if he can get you to say or spell your name backwards,” he sarcastically chided himself. “It will make it more sportsman-like that way.” He rolled his eyes and let out a sigh. “If only there was some way to ---” his monologue trailed off and a wry grin curled the corners of his mouth upward. He glanced back at the screen, its image changed to what he had been thinking about. “Clark Kent in cow town, before he was Superman. And he doesn’t have all of his powers yet, or the knowledge of how to get rid of me.” His grin turned into a wide smile and he leaned his head back on his arms. “I’m so good.”

Smallville – The Talon

“I have to take this,” Helen Bryce said as she looked down at her cell phone. Lex gave her a curt nod of approval and she rose from her seat, clicking the phone on as she walked away from the table. Lucas’s head was leaning heavily onto his arm on the table as he watched her walk away.

“Explain to me why you’re dating her again,” he said. Lex took a sip of coffee and looked at his brother disapprovingly.

Ever since Lucas had come back to live at the castle, he had been giving Lex a hard time about dating Helen – let alone asking her to move in with him. Clark shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He knew that Lex was trying to get him and Lucas to get along, but the forced ‘play dates’ as Chloe called them, only seemed to widen the rift between them.

“I like her,” Clark chimed in. “She’s nicer than some of your other girlfriends, and you know she’s not after you for your money, because she’s a doctor.” Lex grinned at his friend for his sudden show of support. He was about to say something when Lucas started talking again.

“Yeah, but she’s boring,” Lucas argued.

“You’re not the one dating her,” Lex said.

“Thank God,” Lucas said. “I’d have slipped into a coma and dad would have pulled the plug by now.” Clark coughed on the sip of coffee he had taken and he reached for a napkin to wipe his mouth off with. Lucas settled back into his chair, scanned the room with his eyes, and a lustful grin curled his lips upward. “Now that,” he said as he motioned with his head, “is another story altogether.” Clark and Lex followed his gaze to another table, where Lana had stopped her refill rounds to talk to Chloe, Pete, and a boy who Clark only partially recognized from school. Clark looked at Lucas suspiciously.

“I thought you and Lana didn’t get along,” he said. Lucas made a disgusted face.

“Not the princess, Smallville,” he protested. “Your other friend, the blonde one.” Clark and Lex shared a look and Lex tilted his head at Lucas.

“Chloe?” He asked. Lucas smiled widely.

“And now I have a name,” he said with a hint of victory to his voice. Lex barely resisted the urge to chuckle, but he did smile.

“Sorry about that,” Helen said as she came back to the table. “I can’t believe they want me to come in tonight. This is my first day off in how long? And they want me to work?” She shook her head lightly. “Unbelievable.”

“Are you going in?” Lex asked. Helen shot him a not quite apologetic look.

“Lex, we’ve been over this, it’s my job,” she explained to him as if he were a child. He was getting really sick of that, but the Talon was far too public a forum to air their personal problems. Lucas, on the other hand, was thrilled. He smiled at her and made a shooing motion with his hand.

“Off you go then, go save some lives,” he said condescendingly. She glared at him, but his smile stayed fixed on his face. She wanted nothing more than to let her anger management classes fall by the wayside while she took a swing at him, but she settled for the scowl that took over her features and the knowledge that one day she really could take a swing at him and not have her job be at stake because of it. She bent down and gave Lex a light kiss on the lips.

“I’ll see you later,” she said before walking away from the table and toward the front doors. Lucas rolled his eyes as she left the building and muttered some expletives under his breath. Lex gave him a warning look, which he promptly shrugged off in favor of looking at Chloe again.

“You can forget about it now,” Lex said. “Miss Sullivan wouldn’t give you the time of day.” Clark nodded in agreement.

“And even if you did get her to go out with you, Chloe can be --- a handful,” he said. Lucas arched a questioning eyebrow at him and Clark shifted in his chair once again. “We’ve been friends a long time,” he explained.

Mr. Mxyzptlk, in an invisible state, watched the entire scene with a great deal of amusement; summing up the situation in his mind. He knew Lex from the future, although his younger self seemed friendlier and less evil. He didn’t know Lucas, but he could already tell that he would have an ally in him if it needed to come to that.

And then there was Clark. He wasn’t used to seeing him out of his blue and red spandex, unless it was as his alter ego dressed in poorly fitting suits and frumpy looking glasses; but he had to admit that the flannel look seemed to work for him. He kept watching, wondering what powers Clark had developed, and looking for the perfect time to begin causing mischief. The opportunity soon presented itself. He saw the three young men looking over at the table where a blonde girl and two boys were sitting, and he decided to find out more.

“No!” Cole said a little too loudly. He looked around the Talon to make sure no one was watching or listening to them, but excused the startled looks coming from Clark’s table. He leaned toward Chloe. “You can’t put me in the paper *or* on your wall of weird. I don’t want anyone to know.” Pete snorted.

“Then you shouldn’t have been using your powers where Chloe could see you,” he said. Cole shot him a frustrated look and then turned his attention back to Chloe. He was just glad that they hadn’t started talking about it when Lana had stopped by the table. He had a small crush on her, but from what he had seen, most of the guys from school did too.

“Cole, try to understand, publicity isn’t always a bad thing,” Chloe said as she tried to persuade him. “With your abilities, you could end up having lots of doors opened to you that you might not have even known existed before.”

“Yeah, like ice sculptor at the winter festival,” Pete said jokingly. Chloe shot him a look and Pete ducked his head, but his smile didn’t fade.

“I was thinking more like secret government operative, you could be a spy or something,” Chloe said. Cole didn’t look convinced.

“Whitney was in the military, and he *died*,” Cole pointed out. Pete had his arms folded across his chest.

“Exactly,” he said. “Exposure isn’t always a good thing Chlo.” Chloe rubbed her temples and gave Pete another look.

“Hey, look Pete. There’s Clark. Why don’t you go talk to him for a little bit?” She suggested. Pete smiled.

“Because he’s with Lex and Lucas,” Pete said. “*Two* Luthors. Need I say more?” Cole pushed himself away from the table.

“Be right back,” he said, heading toward the restrooms in the back of the building. Chloe flopped her head against her arms on the table.

“You’re not helping Pete. Why aren’t you helping?”

“The guy has a right to some privacy Chloe.”

“I know, but an actual ‘freak of the week’ admitting that they have abilities? Tell me that interview wouldn’t get me a byline on The Ledger.”

“Probably, but still ---”

“Yeah, yeah,” she said, sloughing him off with a wave of her hand. “I know.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk suddenly grew interested in the boy that the girl had just been talking about. Someone else from Smallville had powers? ‘But Superman was the only one to come from Krypton,’ he thought to himself. He decided to follow Cole, to find out if he would have another adversary while on his visit there. Cole came out of the restrooms and saw one of the jocks from school coming in his direction.

‘Time for some payback,’ he thought to himself. The athlete gave him a little push as he walked past him, but didn’t look at him as he did it.

Cole concentrated his attentions on the floor in front of the other boy. He held out his hand and suddenly a thin layer of ice was formed on the ground. The jock slipped and fell and Cole walked away as if nothing had happened.

Mr. Mxyzptlk’s eyes darted from the boy on the floor to Cole and a wry grin formed on his lips.

‘Hello scapegoat.’

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 2
    ~*~*~*~

Mr. Mxyzptlk watched Cole say his goodbyes to Chloe and Pete before he zapped himself outside into the alleyway. He promptly changed out of being invisible and made himself look like Cole. His face lit up with a devilish smile as he walked out toward Main Street.

“Let’s see how much you can handle without giving yourself away, *Clark*,” he said to himself, emphasizing the boy’s first name to remind himself that he wasn’t Superman yet.

With a wave of his hand, small patches of ice dotted the streets and the sidewalks. He let out a conceited chuckle as cars crashed into each other and people started falling down. Clark, as expected, ran to the doorway of the Talon to see what was going on. Unfortunately for Mr. Mxyzptlk, he stopped himself in the middle of the frame before he slipped on the ice himself.

Mr. Mxyzptlk watched the emotional dilemma play on Clark’s face. If he used his powers to save the people, then everyone would know his secret; but if he didn’t, then a lot of innocent people would be hurt far worse than they were already. Mr. Mxyzptlk rubbed his hands together in delight. This was going to be so much fun.

Clark spun his head around and looked at Lex, who was on his way over.

“Call an ambulance, I’m going to see what I can do to help,” he said and rushed out the door, speeding over the carefully placed patch of ice in front of it at such a speed as to not be affected. Mr. Mxyzptlk bunched his hands into fists and made a pouty gesture much like a toddler.

Clark helped the people he could, and was thankful that none seemed to be seriously injured. He noticed Cole out of the corner of his eye, but brushed him off, knowing that there was no way that he could have seen him use his heat vision from the place he was standing; and everything else could be explained away by an adrenalin rush. The ice had completely melted by the time the ambulance reached them and they hauled off the more serious cases. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned around. Lex gave him a half grin.

“Clark Kent plays the hero again,” he quipped. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were bucking for a medal.” Clark gave him an uneasy expression in return.

“You did just as much as I did. You’re the one who called the ambulance,” he pointed out. Lex arched an eyebrow.

“Holding a piece of plastic up to my ear is hardly the same thing as dragging people from their vehicles, Clark,” Lex said and then gave him a nod of his head. “You should be proud of yourself.” Clark opened his mouth to spout a rebuttal, but Lex cut him off. “I’m going to the hospital, make sure Helen made it there alright.” Clark nodded and breathed a sigh of relief. It would be much easier to investigate what had happened without being the one who the questions were directed toward.

Clark watched Lex leave and then looked around for anything out of the ordinary that might explain the sudden ice patches. He frowned when he saw Chloe taking pictures of the accidents and wondered how long she had her camera out for. She might have evidence of his powers on her camera’s digital memory and not even know about it. He made a mental note to destroy the camera before she could find out.

“So --- anything?” Clark asked as he walked over to her. Mr. Mxyzptlk changed back into his invisible form to watch Clark and Chloe’s interaction. Chloe looked up at Clark with a somewhat disturbed expression on her face.

“I don’t understand why Cole would do this,” she said to herself aloud and then went back to taking pictures. Clark creased his brow.

“What?” He asked in confusion. Chloe looked up at him again.

“I mean, there are better ways to tell me to back off from a story, don’t you think?” She scanned the area with her eyes and shook her head. “He’s lucky that nobody got really hurt.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk rolled his eyes.

‘Another reporter. He’s probably in love with her too,’ he thought. An impish smile played at his lips. ‘Of course, that makes my next move easy to figure out.’

“You’re talking about the guy who was sitting with you and Pete?” Clark asked. Chloe nodded. “What makes you think he’s responsible?”

“Well, I don’t know anyone else with the ability to form ice out of nowhere, do you?” She quipped. Clark’s eyebrows rose in surprise.

“He’s ---”

“Material for my ‘wall of weird’, but apparently not for my paper, since he refused to go public with his abilities,” Chloe said disdainfully. “But he’s a nice guy; I just can’t believe that he’d do this, even if it was to make a point. Maybe I’m wrong and someone else has the same powers he has. It’s happened before with Kyle Tippett and ---”

“He was by the alley,” Clark interrupted. Chloe gave him a confused look and Clark elaborated. “Cole. I saw him standing by the alley when I was helping those people out of their cars.” Chloe’s face fell.

“I was hoping I was wrong,” she admitted. Clark nodded knowingly and saw the new sheriff heading toward him out of the corner of his eye.

“Mr. Kent,” Sheriff Matthews greeted. “After all the briefing I’ve had on this town’s history, why am I not surprised to see you at another crime scene?”

“It’s a crime scene? I thought it was just an accident,” Clark said, as he played dumb. Chloe had to hand it to him, he pulled it off well.

‘Years of practice,’ she thought jokingly to herself. She flashed a smile at the sheriff, who was thankfully *much* younger and cuter than Ethan Miller had been, and then looked at Clark. “I’m going to get some shots from a different angle.” Her pointed look tipped Clark off and he immediately knew that she was going to go look around in the alley. He nodded and shoved his hands in his pockets.

“I’ll see what I can find out from Sheriff Matthews,” he said. Chloe just about burst out laughing at the expression that crossed the sheriff’s face, but she managed to hold it in and make her way to the alley.

“And here I was going to ask *you* what happened,” Sheriff Matthews said. Clark shrugged.

“I didn’t see anything. I was in the Talon with my friends and all of a sudden we heard cars crashing into each other,” he said. The sheriff made notes in his small notebook and gave him a look to indicate that he should continue speaking. “I came out to see what happened and told Lex to call an ambulance when I saw the cars in the road.”

“The O’Connells said that you pulled them from them from their car,” the sheriff said with an arched eyebrow. Both of their eyes darted to the mangled car and Clark got a sinking feeling in his gut. He hadn’t even noticed the condition of the car because he was concentrating on getting the couple out, and seeing it now led him to believe that adrenaline might not be a viable excuse.

“Uh – yeah,” Clark said hesitantly.

“Care to explain how you did that?”

“Adrenalin I guess. I don’t really know.”

“Mmm,” Sheriff Matthews said disbelievingly with his tongue resting in the corner of his mouth; but then, anyone he had gotten to speak to who was actually involved in the accidents couldn’t remember seeing Clark until after the fact. “Okay. That’s all for now, but don’t leave town in case more questions come up.”

“Yes sir,” Clark said obligingly. Chloe walked back over to them and forced a smile on her face. There was still a small patch of black ice in the alley that hadn’t melted yet, indicating that her and Clark’s suspicions about Cole were probably true. The sheriff grinned at her and motioned to her camera with his head.

“Any good shots?” He asked. Chloe returned his grin and shrugged.

“I won’t know until I can upload them to my computer,” she answered. He nodded.

“Forward them to me if you come across anything interesting,” he said as his eyes quickly shot to Clark and then back to her. The pleasant surprise was written all over Chloe’s face as she practically beamed.

“Oh. Okay,” she said cheerfully. Sheriff Matthews took a card out of his pocket that had all of his contact information on it and handed it to Chloe. “Thanks.” He nodded once at her and then gave Clark an almost warning look before turning and walking away. Chloe sighed after the sheriff left.

“Cole’s probably home by now. I guess I should go talk to him; let him know that his ‘message’ was received so no one else gets hurt.”

“Chloe, you can’t go over there by yourself,” Clark protested. “He’s dangerous.”

“Don’t tell me you’re actually concerned for my well being,” Chloe said with a small teasing smile. When the serious expression on Clark’s face didn’t change, Chloe’s smile turned into a reassuring grin. “Don’t worry Clark, he’s not dangerous – not generally anyway. I’ll be fine.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk got a mischievous smile on his face. He had been a little down about Clark not realizing that he was behind it, and had to constantly remind himself that Clark didn’t even know he existed yet. But now – the pretty blonde girl was giving him the perfect chance to introduce himself. He morphed into the form of the other boy he had seen her talking to.

“Just take someone with you,” Clark urged. He had a feeling that Chloe wouldn’t let him come with her and his mind immediately went to her other best friend, who, as luck would have it, seemed to appear out of nowhere behind them. Clark smiled in relief. “Take Pete. He knows Cole and maybe Cole won’t feel as threatened as he would if someone else went with you.”

Chloe rolled her eyes at Clark’s protective behavior, but she had to agree with his logic. She smiled at the boy she thought was Pete.

“So, what d’ya say Pete? Up for a visit to Cole’s house?” She asked. Mr. Mxyzptlk smiled back at her and offered her his arm.

“Anything for you sweetheart,” he said jokingly. Chloe laughed and looped her arm through his as they left Clark and started walking to her car. Mr. Mxyzptlk partially frowned as she opened the driver’s side door.

“You’re not going to let me drive?” He asked. Chloe gave him a ‘yeah, right’ look.

“No way! You and Clark end up wrecking more cars than Lex, and that’s *really* saying something,” she said. Mr. Mxyzptlk opened the passenger’s side door and got into the car. He flashed her a bright smile.

“Are you sure? Because we could have lots of fun,” he said in a sing-song voice. Chloe laughed and started her car.

“I’m completely sure,” she answered. Clark watched them drive off, feeling secure in the fact that Pete would protect Chloe – at least until the real Pete came walking up behind him.

“Hey,” Pete greeted. Clark swung around and gave him a baffled look. “I kept everybody inside the Talon for as long as I could. Figured it was probably safe to come out now though.” Pete tilted his head at him as Clark looked back and forth between him and the road Chloe had just driven down. “Uh-oh. I know that look. What’s wrong?”

“I think Chloe’s in trouble.”

~*~*~*~*~
    Ch. 3
    ~*~*~*~*~

He knew Helen was safe the second he spotted her car in the hospital parking lot, but Lex figured as long as he was there he should go inside to see her. That was a mistake. The ER was overflowing with minor emergency cases from the mischief Mr. Mxyzptlk had caused earlier and Helen was frazzled and angry from having to deal with so many people at once. Lex caught her eye and flashed her a smile as he walked over to her. She glared at him almost accusingly and then just lost whatever sanity she had left.

“What are you doing here?!” She snapped. Lex arched an eyebrow as his smile fell into a confused expression.

“I was worried about you,” he said. “There were some accidents and I wanted to make sure you got here alright.”

“I *know* there were accidents, Lex.” She waved her hands in the air. “Look around! You don’t think I know there were accidents?”

“Like I said, I ---”

“You just wanted to make sure I was alright,” she interrupted. “You could have just called and one of the nurses could have told you. There was no need to come down here and take my time away from my patients – whose numbers have increased tenfold in the last hour.” Helen started walking away from him, grabbing a chart off the wall as she did so. Lex stared blankly at her as he watched her enter a room and glare at him before closing the door.

‘Why are you going out with her again?’

His brother’s words rang in his ears and Lex frowned. He didn’t want to start thinking that way. Like Clark pointed out, Helen Bryce was the first woman he had dated who was with him for his money. It felt nice to be with someone who wanted to be with him for him and not because of his financial status. There was the rub though. More and more, it hadn’t felt nice. It felt like she was walking all over him and there was nothing he could do to stop her.

Helen came out of the room and the surprise registered on her face at still seeing Lex there. She came over to him and placed a hand on his chest as she gave him an apologetic look.

“I’m sorry,” she said, shaking her head. “Things have been crazy around here. I’ve had to call a psych consult down here five times already.”

“Why?” Lex asked. A humorless chuckle escaped from Helen’s lips as she took a step back from him.

“People are blaming the accidents on patches of ice that just suddenly popped up on the roads. Like that could ever actually happen.” She rolled her eyes and then continued. “I mean, geez! Take some responsibility for your actions.” Lex nodded once to placate her, but only because Helen hadn’t lived there long enough to believe in the impossible. Lex had seen enough to know that the patients’ accounts of what happened were a very real possibility in Smallville, and many of the strange events ended up having Clark Kent caught up in the middle of them.

“I should go,” he said, pressing a light kiss to her forehead. “I’m glad you’re okay.” She nodded and gave him a small emotionless wave as she started to walk the other way to tend to another patient. Lex turned around and headed back out toward the main doors. He needed to have a talk with Clark.

Despite the traffic congestion due to the accidents, Lex’s trip back to the Talon was pretty fast. He briefly noticed that Pete’s truck and Chloe’s car were no longer parked out front though, and had a suspicion that Clark was no longer there, having left with one of his other friends. He spotted Lucas through the glass door. It looked like Lana was trying to get him to sit like a normal person instead of having his chair leaned back and his feet comfortably propped up on the table. Lex grinned and opened the door, giving a nod to his brother as he stepped into the building.

“Comfortable?” Lex asked as he walked over to Lucas. Lana shot him an exasperated look and placed her hands on her hips. Lex looked at her knowingly. “I’ll take care of it.” She grinned and nodded, and then quickly scurried away from them.

“You’ll take care of it?” Lucas asked in a mocking voice.

“Get your feet off the table,” he replied. Lucas rolled his eyes, but did as requested.

“So, how’s the ice queen?” Lucas asked with no real interest in his voice.

“*Helen* is fine,” Lex said.

“Sorry to hear that,” Lucas said callously, a smile playing on his lips. Lex squared his jaw and sat down across the table from his brother.

“Clark left?” Lex asked, changing the topic to the reason he came back to the Talon in the first place.

“Yup.” Lucas frowned slightly and leaned forward. “How come you never told me that Pete guy has a twin?” Lex’s face flashed with surprise, but he quickly covered it.

“He doesn’t.”

“A clone then,” Lucas said wryly. Lex picked an invisible piece of lint off his jacket and then looked at his brother.

“What is this about, Lucas?” He asked. Lucas sat back in his chair.

“Chloe left with the Pete clone and when Clark realized that he wasn’t the *real* Pete, he freaked out and he and the real Pete took off in a hurry,” he explained without making a lot of sense. Lex’s suspicious nature kicked into overdrive. He had no doubt that it had something to do with the mysterious ice patches appearing on the road, although he couldn’t connect in his mind how the two would be related.

“Why didn’t you stop her?” Lex asked. Lucas looked at him and grinned.

“Chloe?” He replied. Lex’s pointed look answered his question and Lucas shrugged. “Why would I? I didn’t know anything was wrong.”

“You saw the girl you like leave with someone who looks like Pete, but who you knew wasn’t Pete, and you didn’t think anything was wrong?” Lex asked in disbelief. Lucas chuckled in amusement.

“It’s a *Pete* clone. How dangerous could he be?” He joked. Lex scowled at him and Lucas stopped laughing. “She’s a big girl Lex; she can take care of herself.”

“And if she can’t?” Lex countered. Lucas shrugged.

“If she can’t, then Kent will save her. Isn’t that what he does?”

~*~*~*~*~*~

As Pete was pulling his truck into Cole’s driveway, he and Clark could see Chloe and the ‘other Pete’ having an animated discussion with Cole through the front window.

“It’s true,” Pete said in shock. “I can’t believe we have another Tina on our hands.”

“Like one wasn’t bad enough,” Clark agreed.

They ran up to the front door and rang the bell. Cole sighed and walked over to answer it. At least visitors would mean a temporary reprieve from having accusations hurled at him about something he knew nothing about. When he opened the door, his mouth dropped open in shock.

“What the ---?”

Clark and Pete pushed past him and Clark quickly wrapped his arms around Chloe and gave her a hug.

“Are you okay?” He asked as he pulled away. Chloe, not having seen Pete yet because of Clark’s hug blocking her view, gave Clark a strange look.

“I’m fine, Clark. That’s why you sent Pete with me. Remember?” Her eyes darted over to Cole and then a look of surprise and partial fear crossed her face. “Oh my God.” Pete was standing next to him, but then he was also standing next to Chloe. Mr. Mxyzptlk grinned.

“Finally,” he said, morphing back into his true self. His small form floated in the air so he would be at Clark’s eye level. “I was beginning to think that you’d never figure out it was me.” Clark’s face held a shocked and baffled expression.

“W-who are you?” Clark asked.

“*What* are you?” Chloe asked. Mr. Mxyzptlk ignored Chloe’s question and smiled at Clark.

“I keep forgetting that you don’t know me already,” he said and then tipped his hat as he continued to speak. “Mr. Mxyzptlk.” Clark, Chloe, Pete, and Cole all exchanged strange looks.

“I ---” Clark trailed off as he shook his head. Mr. Mxyzptlk laughed at the boy’s expression.

“You’re the one,” Cole said, interrupting the confusing moment. Clark glanced back and forth between Cole and Mr. Mxyzptlk and Cole looked directly at Chloe. “He must be the one who did the ice thing on the streets. Not me,” he said. Clark frowned at the little floating man.

“Why would you do that?” He asked. Mr. Mxyzptlk waved his hand and Chloe, Pete, and Cole all froze in their spots.

“For fun,” Mr. Mxyzptlk answered. “I wanted to see how many people you could help without giving yourself away.”

“Giving myself away?” Clark asked hesitantly.

“You don’t have your alter ego to fall back on here. It adds a new aspect to our game, don’t you think?”

“*Our* game? But I’ve never even met you,” Clark said. He had a bad feeling about this, suspecting that the imp in front of him knew everything there was to know about his powers.

“And now you have,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said cheerfully.

“I still don’t understand,” Clark said.

“Because you’re stupid,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said gleefully with a broad smile. He was having a great time. “I know you from the future,” he explained.

“O-kay,” Clark said apprehensively.

“Consider this a challenge.”

“Excuse me?”

“Your life is about to get a lot more interesting, *Clark*,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said. The next second, he disappeared into thin air and Chloe, Pete, and Cole were all back to normal.

“Where did he go?” Chloe asked as she looked around the room.

“I don’t know,” Clark said, pretending that he hadn’t just seen the man disappear right in front of him. Chloe sighed and ran a hand over the back of her neck in frustration and embarrassment. She looked at Cole and gave him a small smile.

“Sorry about ---”

“It’s okay,” he interrupted. “There was *no* way you could have known – you know?” Chloe nodded and turned to her friends.

“So, what now?”

“Now we find out who that guy was and what he’s doing here,” Clark answered.

Mr. Mxyzptlk smiled devilishly.

“Let the games begin.”

The End
    (Of Story #1)

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Title: The Completely Mental Misadventures of Mr. Mxyzptlk – Story 2: Genie In A Bottle
    Category: Supernatural/Humor/Romance/Drama – honestly, it’s got a little bit of everything. The pairings are all over the place, but Chlex fans won’t be disappointed.
    Summary: Mr. Mxyzptlk decides to go back in time to cause mischief in Smallville, since Clark isn’t Superman yet and won’t know how to send him back to the fifth dimension.
    Author’s Note: The second story is a response to Adeylan’s challenge, but because there were very specific requirements, they won’t be listed until the end of it. The genie name Mxyzptlk uses comes from a Scooby-Doo episode, so I don’t own the rights to it either. This story begins a couple of days after Clark first met Mxyzptlk and there are some really bizarre scene switches, so I hope it won’t be too confusing.

~*~*~*~*~

Lionel’s office – Metropolis – a little after lunch hour

“I don’t see why this is necessary,” Lionel said as the hairdresser shaved off his beard. The woman finished up and then got her scissors out to start cutting his hair. Lex tried to hide the smirk that so desperately wanted to play on his lips. He folded his arms across his chest and tried to look serious.

“Technically it isn’t,” Lex said. “You could just forfeit the Tanaka Taro account to Lex Corp and not change your personal appearance at all.” Lionel scowled at his son and then stared straight ahead.

“Stubborn man set in his horribly outdated values. I doubt he’s even worth doing business worth.”

“Well, like I said ---”

“Oh, shut up.”

This time, Lex did let the smirk show on his face. The truth of the matter was, although Tanaka was renowned for not doing business with people who didn’t appear to live up to a clean-living lifestyle; which roughly translated to short hair, clean shaven, and impeccably dressed; he also refused to do business with people and companies who weren’t environment friendly. And Lex had been kind enough to fax him several documents earlier that day that indicated Luthor Corp had stepped outside of the EPA’s guidelines.

Lex barely resisted the urge to start chuckling; knowing that the account wasn’t going to go to his dad’s company, regardless of what he did to his appearance.

~*~*~*~*~

Lana’s office – the Talon – around closing time

Mr. Mxyzptlk hovered invisibly in the air as he watched the Lana pour over the books at the Talon. She had been at it for a good two hours now and he could see that she was unhappy with the results that she kept coming up with. He also knew that she was one of Clark’s friends and if he caused trouble for her, then Clark would inevitably get involved, but he could do it without Clark knowing that he was behind it. He smiled to himself. He had the perfect plan.

Lana sighed and rubbed her temples. Despite everything she was doing, profits were down at the Talon. Part of it could be blamed on the increased cost of coffee beans from their supplier, but she knew Lex would only see that as an excuse and want her to fix it. Her eyes drifted around the room until they landed on something that she was sure hadn’t been there before. Lana furrowed her brow and rose from her seat as she kept her gaze fixed on the dusty Aladdin-styled oil lamp in the corner of the room.

She walked over and bent down to pick it up. After she lifted it, she drew in a large breath of air and blew on it to rid it of some of the dust.

“Too bad these things don’t actually work,” she mused aloud. “Still, it looks old. I could probably get Chloe to sell in on EBay for me or something.” Mr. Mxyzptlk inwardly groaned.

‘Stupid girl,’ he thought from his new position inside the lamp. ‘Just rub the lamp so I can start my fun.’ A quirky grin curled at the corners of her mouth as she held the ornate lamp out in front of her.

“Of course, you never know unless you try. Right?” She held the lamp in one hand and started to rub it with the other. Mr. Mxyzptlk started to stream out of the opening in a swirling green fog. When he finally appeared, floating in front of her, he had changed himself to look like one of the genies from the old movies that he doubted she had ever seen.

“Who summons the great Babu?” Mr. Mxyzptlk asked in a thundering voice. Lana’s eyes grew wide and she dropped the lamp.

“I – I ---”

Mr. Mxyzptlk crossed his arms and looked at her almost scathingly. He arched an eyebrow in apparent disgust.

“You?” He asked. Lana nodded, too weak from shock to speak. “Mmm,” he said as if he were considering it. “What is your name?”

“La-Lana,” she sputtered.

“Lana,” his voice roared. “You may have three wishes and no more. What is your first wish?”

Lana thought about it. She could really use more business at the Talon to bring profits up.

‘But then, I *do* have *three* wishes,’ she thought. She cleared her throat and tried to speak confidently. “I wish that the two people in Smallville who are meant to be together, but aren’t, will finally get together.” ‘Finally. No more skirting around the idea with Clark. We’ll finally be together.’

Mr. Mxyzptlk was taken by surprise, but didn’t show it. He had expected her to wish for more money, or something along those lines, but she obviously had a crush on some guy and wanted to be with him.

‘Too bad she didn’t clarify that,’ he thought. Her first wish was still going to be to his advantage. Mr. Mxyzptlk still believed that Clark liked Chloe, and what better situation to disturb Clark than the girl he liked getting together with his future enemy? He gave a nod of his head as he looked at her. “Granted. Your second wish?” Lana furrowed her brow in confusion.

“Done?” She asked. She didn’t know why, but she had been expecting immediate results. ‘Maybe it doesn’t work like that,’ she thought. ‘Maybe he’s having Clark drive over here right now.’ She took a breath as she calmed herself down. “I wish that the Talon’s business would go up; that we would start getting more customers.”

“Granted,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said with a small smirk that Lana didn’t catch. Life was about to get very interesting for the girl Lucas had referred to as the princess.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Helen stormed out of Lex’s office after initiating yet another pointless fight with him. Lucas glanced at her as she started to walk through the room he was in. He casually flipped through the pages of the magazine he was reading, but he could feel her eyes burning an imaginary hole in his head.

“You should really stop doing that before he kicks you out on your ass,” Lucas said bluntly. Helen crossed her arms and glared at him.

“Excuse me?!”

Lucas set his magazine down and stood up, completely unthreatened by Helen’s posturing. He crossed the room to where she was and half-smirked at her.

“I said you need to stop all of this passive aggressive bullshit with my brother,” he said. Helen’s eyes filled with rage and if she were a cartoon, Lucas could have sworn that smoke would be coming out of her ears.

“That is it!” She yelled while pointing her finger at him. “Go pack your things! You are *so* out of here!” Lucas chuckled and crossed his arms.

“Yeah, right,” he said. “In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m *blood*. You’re *nothing*.”

Helen’s mouth dropped open and then shut as she glared angrily at him.

“We’ll just see about that!” She turned on her heel to head back to Lex’s office. “Bastard!”

Lucas shrugged.

“Ye-ah,” he strung out as if she were a complete idiot.

Helen bunched her hands into fists and stormed down the hallway toward Lex’s office. She was ready to verbally attack him about Lucas when she stopped dead in her tracks at the site in front of her.

Lex’s office door was open and he was in the middle of what appeared to be a very heavy make-out session with a familiar looking blonde girl.

Helen was stunned. She thought she had Lex wrapped around her little finger and hadn’t been expecting anything like this. She thought about backing away from the door, but the anger inside her won out.

“What the hell are you doing?!”

Lex and the blonde separated and Helen recognized her as Chloe Sullivan, one of Clark Kent’s friends. Her mouth opened in shock.

“You’re cheating on me with *her*?!” Helen screamed. “I can’t believe this!”

Chloe and Lex exchanged a look and Lex picked up his phone and called security as Helen continued to rant at him. Two guards showed up quickly, but not before Helen had spewed a string of profanities at Lex and Chloe. Helen glanced at the security guards.

“You’re kicking me out? You can’t do that! God, Lex! Come to your senses already! *I’m* your *girlfriend*. The woman you asked to help you from turning to the dark side. The woman who ---”

“The woman who has been manipulating my emotions from day one,” Lex interrupted. “I’m sorry that I didn’t turn out to be as foolish about it as you believed I was.”

“You asked me to move in with you,” she pointed out cockily, leaning her head to the side as she crossed her arms. Lex gave her a curt nod.

“I did,” he agreed. “But only because you had some information I needed.” Helen’s face showed her surprise and she looked over at Chloe who seemed almost surrealistically calm about the situation going on around her. “Now, if you’ll excuse us ---” he trailed off and motioned for the guards to take her with them.

Helen shook her head in disbelief as the guards latched onto her arms to escort her out of the house and off the property.

Lex turned to look at Chloe and he raised a questioning eyebrow at her.

“You handled that much better than I would have thought,” he commented. Chloe shrugged and then her hands trailed up his chest and rested on his shoulders.

“Doesn’t matter. It’s just a dream anyway.”

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 2
    ~*~*~*~

The corners of Lucas’s mouth twitched upward in a delighted smile when he saw Helen being escorted out by the security guards. He had actually jest been expecting a short lecture from his brother on why he shouldn’t instigate fights with the harpy, but it appeared as though Lex had finally come to his senses about her. Lucas glanced down the corridor that led to Lex’s office and briefly contemplated going down to see him, but he thought better of it; reasoning that his brother was sure to be in a bad mood after what looked to be a bad breakup.

~*~*~*~

Lex tilted his head at Chloe and thought about what she said. It did seem a little strange that she had appeared out of nowhere and they had been immediately drawn to each other. It also seemed out of the ordinary that he had finally gotten past whatever emotional abuse Helen had been putting him through and kicked her out of the house. Still though, he didn’t want to question it. Being with Chloe felt so unlike how he had felt with anyone else. It felt right. He had always liked her for her spunk and wit, not to mention how easy she was on the eyes; but if he had known how it felt to have her in his arms, then he would have seduced her away from her longtime crush on Clark Kent long ago.

This, unfortunately, begged another question. Why would Chloe think she was dreaming if she was kissing *him*? Certainly her thoughts, consciously or not, would have been filled with images of Clark instead of him. Lex’s head started to spin with all the questions that Chloe’s one simple statement brought up and Chloe looked at him with concern. She brought her hand up and stroked Lex’s cheek with the back of it.

“Are you okay?”

‘How to answer that?’ Lex thought. A seductive grin moved across his lips. If she thought she was dreaming, there was a significant chance that he might get further than he would if he told her the truth. He leaned down to speak in her ear.

“It’s a good dream,” he half-whispered huskily.

~*~*~*~*~

Lana left her office with the intent of flipping the sign on the door to ‘closed’ and locking up to start closing for the night, but the sight that met her when she left the room was quite different than she expected. It seemed like every person in Smallville was now crammed into the Talon’s main area and the one poor waitress she had staffed for that time looked like she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Lana smiled worriedly. When she wished for wanting more business, this wasn’t what she meant.

She quickly darted behind the counter to help her waitress out, but within just a few minutes Lana was just as frazzled as the waitress was. She smiled when she caught Clark in the middle of the crowd of people, certain that her first wish was about to come true. She and her waitress took care of the orders quickly and soon Clark was up at the counter.

“Hi,” Lana greeted happily. He smiled at her, but she inwardly frowned when she realized that it wasn’t anything more than a friendly smile.

“Hey Lana,” he said. “Can I get a large triple espresso?”

Lana was startled. Definitely not what she had been expecting. He was ordering coffee? He was supposed to be sweeping her off her feet and rescuing her by getting her out of there. Not to mention the fact that it wasn’t Clark’s normal choice of drink. She shook her head absently.

“Yeah, sure,” she said and went to retrieve his coffee for him. Clark paid her and smiled his thanks. She watched him leave, not even listening to the next customer in line who was now placing their order. ‘I’m going to have to have a talk with that genie when this rush is over.’

Mr. Mxyzptlk watched on invisibly and snickered to himself.

‘So, she likes the bumbling boy wonder,’ he thought. ‘Interesting.’

The rush went on for a few more hours before Lana finally had to be stern about making the people leave. She closed the front door and locked it, flipping the sign over to the ‘closed’ side as she did so. She leaned her back against the door and blew a puff of air upward, effectively moving the hair out of her face for a moment.

Lana had never felt so exhausted in her entire life. Every muscle in her body ached and she was fairly sure that if she tried to walk then she wouldn’t be able to. Her one waitress had left about an hour before, telling Lana that she didn’t mind working *some* overtime, but this was ridiculous. Lana’s face contorted into an angry pout.

“Babu!”

Mr. Mxyzptlk took the image of the genie once again and seemed to appear from out of nowhere in front of her. His arms were folded across his broad chest and he looked down at her as if she were the most insignificant creature on the face of the planet. Lana felt uneasy at the genie’s domineering presence, but she forced herself to stand strong. After all, he was supposed to be working for her, not the other way around.

“What was *that*?!” She yelled, motioning wildly with her arms.

“You wished for more business,” he stated.

“Yeah, but not ---”

“If that was not what you desired, then you shouldn’t have wished for it,” he chided her. “Have you decided upon a third wish?” Lana’s mouth dropped open at his gall.

“What about my first wish?” She asked. “Why wasn’t Clark all romantic and stuff?”

“I don’t recall there being a ‘Clark’ mentioned in your first wish.”

“Uh, ye-ah,” she strung out. “I wished that ---”

“You wished that the two people in Smallville who are meant to be together, but aren’t, would finally get together,” he reminded her. “And it is done.”

“No,” she said as she shook her head. “I meant me and Clark. We’re supposed to be together.”

“Apparently you aren’t,” he said, trying to fight the smile he felt from lifting his lips. “And if you wanted to be paired with this ‘Clark’, then you should have been more specific.”

Lana’s eyes blinked rapidly in disbelief and she didn’t even realize that her mouth had dropped open again. She and Clark weren’t the one true couple in Smallville who were meant to be together? How was that even possible? And then the increased business thing – Lana had a feeling that she would go out of business if it didn’t calm down the next day. They had already used up more than half of their month’s supply on the sudden wave of people who had flocked to the Talon with an inexplicable need for coffee. Lana frowned. There was one face she hadn’t seen in the sea of people who she had definitely expected to.

“Can I ask you a question?” She asked. Mr. Mxyzptlk held his hand out in front of him as if he were examining his shortly trimmed nails.

“You *may*,” his thunderous voice replied.

“Where’s Chloe? She’s my best customer and she wasn’t here even though practically everyone else was. Why didn’t she come in?”

“Do you wish for me to locate her?”

“No, no,” Lana said, shaking her head and motioning with her arms again. “I just thought you might know.” Mr. Mxyzptlk gave her a scathing look.

“I’m a genie, not a God,” he said.

“Sorry, I just --- never mind. I’m sure she’ll be here tomorrow.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk nodded once, neither agreeing nor disagreeing with Lana’s statement.

“Have you decided upon a third wish?” He asked again. Lana bit her lip. She only had one wish left and she had to make sure it was a good one that wasn’t going to backfire on her like the other two had.

“Not yet.”

“Mmm,” he sounded with disapproval and then vanished into a cloud of smoke.

Lana looked around the Talon’s main room and groaned. The establishment wasn’t designed to hold so many people at once and as she took inventory with her eyes, she noticed that all of the tables and chairs had been squeezed up against the far wall; not to mention the small trails of litter that now seemed to be lining the floor.

“Damn it,” Lana said under her breath. “Maybe I should wish for him to clean all this up,” she thought aloud and then shook her head with amusement at the idea.
    ‘He’d probably just make it all disappear, and that wouldn’t do me any good. No. I need to think of a good specific last wish, and I’m not going to waste it on cleaning this place up.’ “Stupid genie.”

~*~*~*~*~

Mr. Mxyzptlk grinned almost evilly when he saw Lex and Chloe kissing like there was no tomorrow, and about to do significantly more.

‘She didn’t say *how long* the couple needed to be together for,’ he thought to himself. And he would hardly be the gentleman he considered himself to be if he let Superman’s future nemesis take advantage of the poor girl. That, and he doubted that Lex’s brother would be pleased if he walked in on them. He still wasn’t sure what kind of a role Lucas was going to play in his pranks, but he knew that he wanted that kind of irreverent sociopathic attitude on his side rather than Clark’s. He snapped his fingers and as quickly as Chloe had originally appeared, she was gone again.

Lex opened his eyes when he couldn’t feel warmth of her body pressed against him anymore. He briefly thought that maybe Chloe was right and it had been a dream, but he had never experienced a dream that felt so real before. And he was sure that if it was a dream, then she would still be there. If the years of therapy he had after his mom died taught him one thing, it was that he could control aspects in his dreams – and he never would have let her leave.

No. It wasn’t a dream. Something strange was going on, and Lex left his office determined to find out what it was.

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 3

This chapter takes place the next morning.
    ~*~*~*~

The Talon

“I can’t believe this is happening,” Lana said under her breath. She had arrived to open the Talon early and found a large group of people waiting out front for her. Luckily, she was able to sneak in the side entrance with no one noticing her. Lana sighed and slowly made her way to the front door. No additional help was expected for a couple of hours and Lana dreaded facing the crowd by herself, but then, this had been her wish – sort of anyway. She flipped the sign to the ‘open’ side and unlocked the door, only to be mowed down by the coffee-crazed patrons.

She shook her head and tried to push herself up to at least a sitting position when she saw a hand reached out to help her. Lana looked up and saw Clark smiling down at her. She smiled back and took his hand. Clark pulled her to a standing position and she shook her head lightly at the crowd that had gathered by the counter, complaining loudly that no one was there to serve them.

“Looks like business is good,” Clark said. Lana took a deep breath and smiled at him again.

“I don’t suppose you’d like to help?” She asked, batting her eyelashes persuasively.

“Depends,” Clark said coyly.

“Oh, just get behind the counter, Clark,” Chloe said as she walked in and caught the last part of Clark and Lana’s conversation. When he arched an eyebrow at her, Chloe gave him a little shove to motivate him. “Come on! I need my caffeine!” Clark and Lana both chuckled and then made their way to the back of the counter to start waiting on people.

It had been a good half hour since the Talon opened before Lex pushed his way into the building. He had already had his coffee at the house, but he had a rather firm suspicion that he would find Chloe at the Talon, and he could always use ‘checking on his business investment’ as an excuse if he needed to. His eyes widened when he realized that the crowd of people packed almost every inch of the building.

‘She must be putting something in the coffee,’ he thought to himself and then allowed a tiny smirk to grace his lips. ‘Good for her.’ Then he saw Lana being cornered by what appeared to someone wearing a large dragon costume. It seemed to be attacking her for no discernable reason, but Lex saw no need to rush to her aid. After all, how much harm could the person do while wearing a padded costume? Lex was yanked out of his thoughts when he felt a familiar female body being pushed into him.

“Hey! Watch it!” Chloe snapped at the man who had just shoved her. She had a ‘to-go’ cup and was on her way out anyway, so there was no need for him to be so rude. She turned and looked up to see Lex staring down at her. Chloe couldn’t help the blush that rose to her cheeks. ‘Whoa. Down girl,’ she thought to herself. ‘It’s not like he knew what you were dreaming last night.’ “Mr. Luthor,” she greeted. “Sorry about that. I guess these people need their coffee even more than I usually do.” She smiled at him and he returned it.

Mr. Mxyzptlk barely kept himself from laughing at the predicament that Clark was in. Lana was being attacked by someone in a dragon costume and Clark was too busy serving coffee at a ‘normal’ hurried speed to notice. He was tempted to turn the person into a real dragon, but he thought that might be pushing it a little too far. ‘It would be lots of fun to watch though,’ he thought to himself.

There were so many people in the establishment that Chloe didn’t even notice when Lex slipped his hands onto her waist. Mr. Mxyzptlk did though, and he had to say that he was pleased that Lex wasn’t giving up so easily. Spurring a competition between Lex and Clark over Chloe would only add to Clark’s inability to cope with the other little things that he had in store for him.

“Dragons included, apparently,” Lex said. Chloe gave him a quizzical look and he motioned to where the man or woman wearing the dragon costume was trying to bite Lana with the big plastic teeth. Chloe started laughing and Lex could feel her body reverberating under his hands. He looked down at her and Chloe suddenly felt a little uneasy with his gaze.

“I should go,” she said and took a step to the side to move, but Lex quickly pulled her back over.

“Stay,” Lex said. “I need to talk to you. I tried calling you last night, but your dad said you were already in bed.”

“Oh. Okay. Well, do you mind moving the conversation outside then? I’m feeling a little claustrophobic in here,” Chloe said. Lex gave her a curt nod and offered her his hand to help her get through the many patrons who were surrounding them.

She took a deep breath and then released it after they got outside and far enough away from the crowd of people for her to feel comfortable – or as comfortable as she could be holding Lex Luthor’s hand after having a rather vivid dream about him the previous night. “So --- what did you need to talk to me about?”

“I ---” Lex trailed off when he realized that Chloe may have been right all along. Perhaps he had just been dreaming. He bit his tongue. ‘No, that can’t be it, because this morning Lucas congratulated me on finally getting rid of Helen.’ “Do you remember being at my house last night?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk watched the couple invisibly and rested his hands behind his head.

Chloe’s skin paled and her eyes darted away from Lex. The pale skin started to color into a lovely blush when she remembered her dream in all of its lurid glory.

“I – what do you mean?” She finally got out. Lex arched an eyebrow. Obviously she remembered. The only thing that remained to be seen was whether she still believed it was a dream or not.

“Chloe,” Lex said as he started leaning toward her slightly.

“Hey, Lex!” Lucas greeted as he came up behind them. He slapped his brother on the back and flashed a bright smile at Chloe. “Hello beautiful.” Chloe let a nervous chuckle escape her lips. She couldn’t believe that she had almost lost so much of her self control that she was about to kiss Lex. He didn’t think of her that way and she would have been mortified in embarrassment if Lucas hadn’t showed up exactly when he did.

“Hey,” she greeted.

Mr. Mxyzptlk snickered as he watched Lucas interrupt Lex’s moment with Chloe, but his minute of amusement was quickly destroyed when he heard Lana calling his ‘genie’ name. He let out a suffered sigh and zapped himself to her location, which happened to be her office inside the Talon. He appeared before her in his genie form and crossed his arms, trying desperately not to laugh at the poor girl’s appearance.

Her hair was messed up, her clothes were torn, she looked exhausted, and she had tiny little scratches on her skin from where the person in the dragon costume had tried to bite her with the plastic teeth.

“Yes?” Mr. Mxyzptlk asked.

“I know what my third wish is,” she said. Mr. Mxyzptlk arched an eyebrow.

“And?”

“And I ---”

“Lana?” Clark asked as he opened the door. His eyes grew wide when he saw the large blue genie floating in the middle of the room. Lana looked panic-stricken. She couldn’t believe that Clark had caught her talking to the genie. She was never going to live this down. “What’s going on?” Clark asked hesitantly. Lana bit her lip. It would probably be better just to tell him the truth and get it over with; even if he did try to have her committed afterward.

“I – uh,” she paused and sucked in a breath. “I found an old genie lamp in the office last night and I know it was wrong, but I wished for business at the Talon to be better, but it’s turned into a nightmare, and I was just about to wish for everything to go back to normal when you came in,” she rushed the words so quickly that Clark was surprised she had managed to say it all in one breath.

Clark narrowed his eyes at the genie. Something wasn’t right here.

‘Other than the fact that there’s a genie floating in the middle of Lana’s office,’ Clark thought to himself. His mind went through all of the weird things that had been happening lately and it stopped when a picture of Mr. Mxyzptlk drifted into his head. He would never forget seeing the purple-clad man who looked like an oversized leprechaun with a head too big for his body floating in the middle of Cole’s living room. He couldn’t have been more than three feet tall, but he obviously had the ability to shape-shift to take on the appearances of others.

Lana turned her attention back to Mr. Mxyzptlk since she thought Clark was too stunned to speak.

“Babu, my third wish is that everything would go back to normal,” she said. Mr. Mxyzptlk rolled his eyes.

‘How predictable,’ he thought. He nodded his head once in acquiescence. “It is done.” With that, he kept up the appearance of pretending to be a genie and started to dissolve into a green fog.

“Wait!” Clark shouted. Mr. Mxyzptlk solidified again and couldn’t help but smile when he saw the accusatory look on Clark’s face. “It’s you, isn’t it?”

“It took you long enough,” he replied in his regular speaking voice. Lana furrowed her brow, wondering where the genie’s thundering voice from just seconds ago had gone. Mr. Mxyzptlk morphed into his normal self and looked at Clark. “Two to zero,” he boasted. His eyes twinkled when he turned them upon Lana. “Be careful what you wish for.”

He disappeared into nothingness and Clark and Lana stared blankly at the empty area in front of him.

“Clark?”

“Yeah?”

“What was that?”

“That --- is a long story.”

The End
    (Of Story #2)

Adeylan’s challenge requirements:
    1. Lionel must get a shave and a haircut.
    2. Mr. Mxyzptlk has to willingly be caught by Lana.
    3. Lana has to use him to make wishes.
    4. All of the wishes turn out wrong.
    5. Lana has to get nibbled by a dragon.

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Title: The Completely Mental Misadventures of Mr. Mxyzptlk – Story 3: The Love Bug
    Rating: R
    Author’s Note: The third story is in response to one of Joi’s challenges. I think I’m just going to start listing the challenge requirements at the end of each story. It’s easier that way and more fun for you.

Story # 3: The Love Bug

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“It’s official,” Chloe said to Lana as she came up to the counter in the coffee shop. “I’m dying.” Lana shot her a sympathetic smile.

“Still not feeling good, huh?” She asked. Chloe shook her head lightly, but stopped when it made her want to throw up. “What did the doctor have to say?” Chloe gave a partial roll of her eyes.

“Lots of rest, lots of liquids so I don’t get dehydrated from puking my guts out, and that’s about it,” Chloe answered.

“Sorry. You should go home.”

“I will, just as soon as I get some coffee,” she said. Lana looked at her friend warily and folded her arms across her chest.

“When your doctor said ‘liquids’, I’m pretty sure he wasn’t referring to coffee,” Lana said. Chloe glared at her and Lana threw her hands up in the air in mock surrender. “Fine, fine! But if you throw up on my counter, you’re cleaning it up.” Chloe made a face and Lana leaned her head to the side. “How about a nice hot cup of tea instead?” Chloe grumbled.

“Sadist,” she said. Lana laughed and went to retrieve a ‘to-go’ cup of tea for her friend. Chloe played with a small slip of paper in her hands.

“What’s that?” Lana asked as she handed her the tea.

“Prescription for anti-nausea meds,” Chloe answered with a shrug. “Although I have a feeling that all it’s going to do is knock me out.”

“That’s good,” Lana said. “You need something to slow you down and make you rest; otherwise you’ll never get well.”

‘Thank you Mrs. Kent,’ Chloe thought with heavy sarcasm. She forced a fake grin onto her lips and held back the comment, knowing that Lana wouldn’t take it as a comparison to Martha, but rather a reference to the ongoing triangle between her, Lana, and Clark that they all tried so hard not to talk about.

Mr. Mxyzptlk looked on invisibly as he saw Lex steal glances at Chloe when he thought no one else was watching. He couldn’t help but feel a little bad for the guy, since it was kind of his fault that he had set the two of them up in the first place and now she seemed to be ignoring Lex any time they were in the same room together. Although, granted, that hadn’t been often.

He saw Chloe hold the back of her hand up to her forehead and an idea formed in his head. He zapped himself back to where the bathrooms were and reappeared, disguising himself as an average looking man in his mid-twenties. He walked over to Lex’s table and pulled a chair out for himself without waiting for an invitation. Lex arched an eyebrow at him and Mr. Mxyzptlk motioned toward Chloe with his head.

“I can help you with her,” he said. Lex looked at Chloe and then back to the seemingly young man sitting in front of him.

“I beg your pardon?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk leaned a little bit forward and Lex saw what he could have sworn was an actual twinkle in his eye.

“She looks too sick to drive herself home safely; maybe you should offer her a ride?” He hinted. Lex frowned.

“I doubt she’d take it. She’s been avoiding me ever since ---” he caught himself just as he realized that he was starting to open up to a complete stranger. Mr. Mxyzptlk didn’t look at him expectantly though; instead, he grinned and nodded.

“Ever since your brother interrupted you trying to tell her that her dream wasn’t a dream,” he filled in. Lex tilted his head and looked at him suspiciously.

“How ---?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk held up his hand to stop him from talking.

“Like I said, I can help,” he said. He let his eyes flicker over to the counter, but he knew that Chloe had already left while they were talking. “Tough luck. Looks like you missed that opportunity.” Lex’s head whipped around and he frowned when he saw that Chloe was gone.

“Listen, I don’t ---” he started to say, but when he turned his head back around to look at the young man, Mr. Mxyzptlk had disappeared. Lex looked around the Talon briefly, but the man was nowhere to be found. He shook his head lightly and got up from his chair. ‘Great. My subconscious has created an imaginary friend for me,’ he thought. Lana noticed that he was leaving and called over to him.

“Lex?”

Lex turned around and walked to the counter, where Lana flashed him a bright smile.

“Did you need the books before you go? We’ve been doing really well this month, I think you’ll be surprised,” she rambled. Lex grimaced, but hid it well.

“No, thanks,” he said. She looked confused, so he decided that he’d better elaborate. “I think I’m coming down with something. I’m just going to go home and go to bed.” It was a lie, but at least it was a feasible one. After all, he couldn’t exactly tell her that he had started hallucinating or that he thought he might be starting to fall for her friend. Lana gave him a pitying look that made Lex feel *really* sick.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “It must be going around, because Chloe’s sick too.” Lex blinked a couple of times before answering.

“I saw her in here a few minutes ago,” he admitted. “You were serving her coffee when she’s sick?” ‘Good Luthor. Put the blame on Lana. That way she won’t pay attention to the fact that you said you saw Chloe,’ he thought. Lana got a guilty look on her face.

“Actually, I sort of convinced her to have tea instead,” she said. Lex grinned in amusement.

“I didn’t realize your debate skills had advanced that far.”

“We-ll,” she strung out. “I didn’t really give her a choice.” Lex chuckled and Lana scrunched up her face into a stubborn expression. “She shouldn’t be having caffeine right before she picks up her prescription anyway.”

“Prescription?”

“She said it’s for her nausea, and that it will probably just put her to sleep,” Lana explained. Lex nodded.

“It probably will,” he agreed, having gone through enough prescription medication in his earlier days to know what effects different drugs would have on someone’s body.

‘I can help you with her.’

Lex heard the man’s voice as clear as a bell in his head and concentrated on not letting it affect his outward appearance.

‘You look tired. Go home and get some sleep.’

Lex couldn’t help the frown that played at his lips. The young man hadn’t said that before, so he was ready to acknowledge now that he might actually be losing his mind.

‘Your wife will be waiting for you.’

Lana’s voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

“Wow, you really don’t look so good. You should go home and get some sleep, Lex.”

He nodded and held up his hand in a partial wave and then left the building.

~*~*~*~*~

“Alright sweetheart,” the pharmacist said to Chloe as he handed her the bottle of pills. “Now these will make you really drowsy, so wait until you’re at home to take them, and don’t drive when ---”

“Okay, thanks Mr. Johnson,” Chloe said, cutting the older man off. He could be really nice, but he could also be really tiring, and Chloe’s patience was already worn down to virtually nothing with the combination of being sick and Lana giving her tea instead of coffee. She had already paid and after Chloe snatched the bottle from his hands, she practically ran from the pharmacy.

Mr. Mxyzptlk laughed as he morphed out of Mr. Johnson’s appearance and into his own.

“She’ll never know what hit her.”

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 2
    ~*~*~*~

Mr. Mxyzptlk watched invisibly as Chloe poured one of the pills out into her hand and popped it in her mouth, quickly followed by a swig of water to wash it down. She sighed, replaced the cap on the bottle, and then headed toward her bedroom. All of a sudden, her feet felt very heavy under her and she could barely make it down the hallway. Her eyes started to drift closed before she even made it to her bed. Mr. Mxyzptlk watched her lay her head down on her pillow and fall asleep, the mischievous grin on his lips growing with each second that passed.

“Time to get this show on the road,” he said. With a snap of his fingers, Chloe disappeared from her bed, and reappeared sleeping on Lex’s bed.

Mr. Mxyzptlk looked around the room and decided that it needed some help if his scheme was going to work. An impish gleam lit up in his eyes and with a sweep of his hand the room had been completely changed.

The room was now decorated in warm, inviting colors and had pictures of Chloe and Lex hanging up and placed throughout it.

Mr. Mxyzptlk smiled again and the clothes that Chloe had been wearing when she first appeared there were changed into a short aqua blue, silk and lace teddy. He morphed into the image of the man Lex had seen earlier that day at the Talon, and covered her up with the blankets. Then, an almost evil idea hit him. He held out a hand and a stuffed yellow dragon with orange polka dots popped into it. He tucked it underneath her arm and turned around to leave the room to greet Lex, who he now heard coming up the stairs.

Lex narrowed his eyes when he saw the man leaning against the wall by his bedroom.

“Should I even ask?” Lex asked as he walked toward him. Mr. Mxyzptlk flashed him a large smile and shrugged as he pushed himself off the wall.

“I told you I could help, so I’m helping,” he replied cryptically. “But you’ll have to play along if you want her to believe it’s real.”

Lex’s eyebrows moved together suspiciously.

“What do you mean?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk motioned toward the open bedroom door and Lex took a few steps forward to glance into it. His eyes grew wide in shock and he looked back at the man standing in front of him.

“What’s going on? What did you do to her?”

“Calm down,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said as he looked down at Lex’s ring finger. Lex followed his gaze and was shocked to find a platinum ring now resting on his finger. He looked back up at Mr. Mxyzptlk, who just grinned at him, and started to tell him his cover story for when Chloe woke up. “You’ve been married for two years. You have a baby girl named Lena. Your photo albums and home movies are under the TV if she wants proof.” Lex stared blankly at him and Mr. Mxyzptlk rolled his eyes. “I thought you were supposed to be smart. Come on, let’s go. You only have a small window of time here.”

Lex looked into the room again and a smile curled the corners of his mouth upward.

‘Okay, so I’m dreaming or hallucinating,’ he thought. ‘Maybe I should have a talk with Lana about what she’s been putting in the coffee.’

Mr. Mxyzptlk slapped him on the shoulder and Lex looked back at him.

“Don’t worry; it’ll all come to you when you wake up.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lana smiled at Clark as they walked into the house.

“Just let me check on Chloe, grab my books, and then we can study,” she said. Clark smiled and nodded.

“No problem. Is she feeling any better?”

“I don’t know. She wasn’t when I saw her earlier this morning, but maybe the medicine that the doctor gave her has helped,” Lana said as she started to climb up the stairs. She walked down the upper hallway a little bit until she got to Chloe’s room and then she knocked softly on the door. It came open as she knocked on it and she looked in, only to find that Chloe wasn’t there. Lana blinked her eyes a couple of times in surprise. “Clark?” She called out with some worry in her voice.

Clark looked up at her from the bottom of the stairs.

“Yeah?”

“She’s not here.”

“What? Where else would she be?” Clark asked, now walking up the stairs to meet Lana. Lana shook her head a little.

“I don’t know,” she said and took a few steps into Chloe’s empty room. “She said she was going home after she got her medicine and I saw her pills on the table as we came in.”

“Me too,” Clark said. Lana bit her lip when she saw Chloe’s bag on the ground and her cell phone was laying half out of it. Clark’s mouth dropped open as he noticed the same thing.

“She never goes anywhere without her cell phone.”

“I know,” Clark said in agreement. A sudden jolt of panic swept through his body. “Lana?” She looked up at him. “You know all those weird things that have been happening?” She nodded. “You don’t think ---?”

“Oh my God,” Lana said and put her hand over her mouth. “What do we do?” Clark paused for a minute before answering.

“I’ll go look for her,” Clark said.

“Clark,” Lana said and tilted her head to the side with a concerned expression. Clark placed his hand on her shoulder.

“Call Pete, have him check his end of town,” he said. Lana let go of the breath she was holding in. This wasn’t a Clark chasing after Chloe because he harbored feelings for her thing; this was a Clark chasing after Chloe because he was concerned about his friend sort of thing. Lana nodded and gave him a wince of a smile.

“Okay.” She caught his arm as he started to leave. “Call me if you find anything out.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

When Chloe started to wake up, she was no longer nauseous, dizzy, or running a fever.

‘Wow. That stuff really works,’ she thought. She furrowed her brow as she untucked the stuffed dragon from her arm and eyed it with confusion. Then she really noticed her surroundings, and more importantly, she noticed the warm body pressed up against her back that had an arm slung over her waist. Her eyes widened, but rather than acting on her first instinct and jumping out of the bed, she slowly turned her head and body to see who’s arms she was wrapped in. Chloe felt a tightening in the pit of her stomach when she saw him. She started to sit up and lifted her hand to push back the blanket so she could crawl out of the bed. That’s when she noticed the large diamond ring and wedding band on her finger. “Okay, now I’m dreaming that I’m married to the guy,” she mumbled, “this can not be good.”

“Mmm,” Lex said and pulled her closer again. His eyes flitted open when he realized that she wasn’t lying down anymore. “Sweetheart,” he said in a groggy voice, pulling himself up to a sitting position. Chloe’s eyes darted away from him when the sheets moved back and she could see that he wasn’t wearing any clothes. “How long have you been up?”

She couldn’t help but think how real this all felt. The soft sheets beneath her, the silk of her teddy against her skin --- the color rushed to Chloe’s face when she saw what she was wearing.

“I ---” Chloe saw the door to what appeared to be the bathroom and she looked over at Lex for a split second before throwing the small stuffed dragon in her hands at him. “Be right back!” She bounced quickly out of the bed and started almost running to the bathroom, which for some reason, she didn’t seem to be getting any closer to. A brief thought popped into her head that it was like the Scooby-Doo episode where they were in the fun house and couldn’t get away.

Lex jumped out of bed and within seconds he had run up behind her. He placed his hands on her upper arms and turned her around, only to bring his mouth down to hers in what he intended to be a passionate kiss. Chloe struggled to get away from him at first, but soon felt herself melting beneath his lips and returning the kiss. His tongue slid along her bottom lip and Chloe opened her mouth for him. Their tongues snaked against each other and Chloe could feel Lex’s arousal pressed up against her. Everything felt entirely too real to be a dream, but she knew it wasn’t reality – so what was it?

Lex lifted her up and Chloe wrapped her legs around his waist as he took her back over to the bed. He kissed her again as he lay her down on the bed.

“We don’t have much time before Lena wakes up,” he murmured into her hair. Chloe creased her brow and moved her head to the side.

“What?”

Lex nipped at her neck and Chloe struggled to keep her eyes open and remain attentive.

“Agnes said she was up a lot last night,” he explained.

“Agnes?”

Lex pulled back and leaned his head to the side to look at her.

“Are you feeling okay?”

“Obviously not,” she answered. “Oh, that stupid medicine. Why didn’t I figure it out before?” She asked herself.

“Chloe, what are you talking about?”

“Nothing, nothing,” she said. “Don’t worry about it.” Lex gave her a strange look and then began to lean down to kiss her again when a knock came at the door. He groaned and pushed himself off the bed, walking quickly to the closet where he took two fluffy white robes off of the door. He threw one at Chloe and put the other on himself.

He walked to the door and opened it. Chloe’s mouth dropped open when she saw who was on the other side.

~*~*~*~*~
    Ch. 3
    ~*~*~*~*~

Chloe looked at the older woman standing on the other side of the door with a pudgy baby girl in her arms. Chloe stood there in her robe, staring at the baby in shock. The little girl appeared to be about nine months old and there was no mistaking who her parents were supposed to be. She had small red curls gracing the top of her head, one of them tied up in a bow and Chloe noticed that her eyes looked achingly similar to her own. She wasn’t about to admit that it looked like the baby had inherited her fat cheeks from when she was a baby too, but it was obvious that she had.

‘This isn’t happening, this isn’t happening,’ she repeated as a mantra in her head.

“Lena,” Lex greeted, holding his arms out until the nanny transferred the baby over to him.

“I’m so sorry to interrupt your time together, but she was still a little fussy after feeding, so I thought she might want her parents,” the nanny said. Lex nodded once at her and then looked back at the baby smiling at him.

“Thank you Agnes,” he said. The woman smiled warmly at Chloe and then shut the door behind her as she left. Lex held Lena up with his hands. “How is my little monchichi?” He brought her stomach to his nose and gently rubbed against it, causing the baby to spurt into giggles.

“Monchichi?” Chloe asked. Lex smiled over at her and then started walking closer with the baby.

“You want mommy?” He asked Lena, ignoring Chloe’s question. The baby leaned toward Chloe while still in Lex’s arms.

“Mama,” she said with her arms outstretched and a bright smile that displayed one tooth in the bottom of her mouth.

“I – uh ---” Chloe trailed off as Lena practically jumped into her arms from Lex’s. “Hi.” The little girl started laughing and then leaned forward to give Chloe a drool-filled semi-kiss against her mouth.

“Mama,” Lena said again in a contended voice as she snuggled up to Chloe. Lex folded his arms across his chest and looked at Chloe and Lena with a small smile.

“She’s such a mommy’s girl,” he commented and then met Chloe’s eyes with his own. “I don’t suppose you’ve given any more thought to having another one?” Chloe’s eyes widened at his suggestion and he tilted his head to the side. “I’m feeling a bit outnumbered, you know?”

“I ---” Chloe trailed off as she looked down at the baby, who was now gazing at her mother like she was the most beautiful creature in the world. Lena noticed the stuffed dragon on the bed and her face lit up.

“Mxyzptlk!” Lena said and stretched out her arms to try and reach it.

“What?”

“I haven’t been able to figure out what she’s trying to call that thing either,” Lex admitted. Chloe reached behind her and then handed the dragon to Lena, who promptly bit down on its snout. Lex started laughing and his gaze turned to Chloe. “I wonder where she gets that from,” he said teasingly. Chloe looked at him questioningly and he came to stand next to her, his warm breath hitting her ear with his next words. “Not that I mind.” He nipped at her earlobe gently and Chloe turned her head to face him, just now noticing that he had a rather large hickey on the upper part of his neck.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark checked everywhere he could think of that Chloe might be. He checked with her neighbors, at the school (and not just the Torch office), and at the Talon, but she seemed to have just disappeared into thin air. He started to get really concerned when Lana told him that Pete hadn’t been able to find her yet either. Clark’s bad feeling about the strange imp being involved was becoming more and more pronounced, and he only hoped that if Mr. Mxyzptlk was involved that he wouldn’t do anything to hurt Chloe. Clark shook his head a little with guilt. If anything happened to her, it would be his fault because he didn’t get to her in time to stop it.

‘But I’ve checked everywhere,’ he thought to himself. ‘Well, not *everywhere*,’ he corrected and then shook his head again. ‘Lex is going to think I’m nuts.’

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chloe flipped through one of the photo albums she found under the television set. She still couldn’t believe this was happening, but she knew it wasn’t a dream. It was too real to be a dream. But, how could she have lost her memory and only remember part of her life? How the hell did she end up married to Lex Luthor?

‘And for a whopping two years none the less,’ Chloe thought to herself. ‘It must be some sort of record for him.’

Then there was the baby. Lena. How could she not remember having a baby? And how had she been able to do it without getting any stretch marks? Chloe frowned and stared down at the pictures in the album. The last one was filled with pictures of them and their friends and family at the wedding and reception that she couldn’t remember – even though the pictures were there to prove that she had been there. The current album was filled with pictures of a honeymoon that she only wished she had in her memories.

Her and Lex on some tropical beach. They looked so happy together that it made Chloe’s heart hurt just to see the photos of memories that she didn’t have. She felt the tears starting to well up in her eyes.

“I think we may have to cancel our plans for the day,” Lex said casually as he walked back into the room. “Lena’s gone to sleep again.” He took off the robe and threw it on a chair sitting against the wall. He noticed the photo albums spread out over the bed and he strolled over to her. Chloe felt a weight settle behind her on the bed.

“Bermuda,” Lex said wistfully into her ear, wrapping one arm around her waist and placing his other hand on her upper arm. He kissed the shell of her ear gently and let his lips linger against her skin. “I have a break in my schedule coming up, so we can go again if you’d like.” She felt him smirk as he trailed his mouth down to her neck. “Or would you prefer to go to the cabin?” Chloe looked questioningly at him through the corner of her eye. “We could tell the kids they were conceived in the same place,” he teased. Chloe wasn’t sure why the blush spread to her cheeks, but it did. Lex grinned at her reaction and then repositioned himself so he could kiss her.

Before she had a chance to object, his tongue was weaving its way into her mouth and sliding against her own. Chloe let out a small gasp when she felt his fingers pinch one of her nipples and then continue to tease it by rolling it back and forth. Her body wanted him – she knew that much. She figured that she must have gotten used to him while they were married, but this felt so new – and so right. Lex slowly moved her until she was lying down on the bed, and then something happened that made Chloe’s eyes shoot open. He delved a finger into her waiting wetness.

“God, Chloe,” he murmured against her as her heat surrounded him and he started pumping his finger in and out of her. He added another and Chloe’s hips bucked, making Lex inwardly smile with masculine pride. He loved the way her body responded to him. Chloe’s stomach started to tighten and her orgasm started to wash over her in heaping waves of pleasure.

“Lex,” she moaned, gripping the sheets beside her with tightly clenched fists. That was all the encouragement Lex needed to hear. He positioned himself between her legs and plunged into her in one fluid motion. Chloe screamed at the pain that it caused, but it quickly turned to pleasure and she found her hands digging into his back as he thrust himself in and out of her.

“Chloe,” he half-whispered before capturing her mouth with his own again. He was so close and he could feel that Chloe was on the verge again too – just a few more pumps and --- a second after that thought, Lex found himself spilling his seed onto the bed. Chloe had disappeared and the room had returned to normal. He looked around in confusion. “What the fuck?!”

It was all a dream – it had to have been. And now he had been rudely awakened and wasn’t at all happy about it. One minute he was married to Chloe, with a happy life and a beautiful daughter – and the next he was back where he started. He growled and sprung off the bed, promptly throwing the alarm clock at the wall. There was a knock on the door and Lex grabbed the robe that was now hanging back up in his closet. Quickly putting it on, he answered the door.

“What?!” He snapped at the butler on the other side of the door.

“Clark Kent is here to see you. Is this a bad time? Shall I send him away?” The man asked. Lex’s glare was bearing an imaginary hole through the servant’s head.

“No. Just give me a minute. I’ll meet him downstairs,” Lex said angrily. The butler nodded and turned on his heel to leave. Lex threw his clothes on, the entire time cursing the fact that his dreams were getting more and more indistinguishable from real life and that Chloe wasn’t really his. No. Chloe was in love with Clark. Lex clenched his hands into fists and then released them. Something was going to have to be done about that. “Clark,” he greeted in what he hoped passed as a neutral tone as he came down the stairs.

“Hey Lex,” Clark said. “Sorry to bother you, but Chloe is missing. We’ve been looking all over town for her, but we haven’t been able to find her anywhere and I’m starting to get worried. I don’t suppose you’ve seen her?” He asked somewhat sheepishly. Lex stared blankly at him as he tried to comprehend what Clark was saying. Clark’s cell phone rang before Lex got a chance to speak. Clark pressed the phone up to his ear. “Hello? --- She is? --- Where? --- Okay, thanks Lana.” Clark hung up the phone and gave Lex an apologetic smile. “Sorry about that. Lana said that Chloe must have come back into the house while she was in another room, because she’s in her bedroom fast asleep now. So --- thanks anyway.” He gave a slight wave of his hand and Lex watched him exit through the front door.

“It *wasn’t* a dream,” Lex mused aloud, somewhat awestruck by the thought. He remembered his ‘imaginary friend’, or not so imaginary as it had turned out, and he pursed his lips. He was going to have to track him down. He wanted his other life back.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chloe stretched her arms out and let out a loud yawn as she woke up. She blinked a few times as she took in the scene around her. It was her bedroom – her old bedroom. She absently ran her hand across her forehead and through her hair, and felt the heat radiating from her skin.

“It really *was* just a dream?” She mused aloud. She let her head flop back against her pillow, instantly regretting it when the pain in her head started to throb. “Well, that sucks.”

The End
    (Of Story #3)

Joi’s challenge requirements:
    1. Chloe is sick and Mr. Mxyzptlk makes himself looks like the pharmacist to give her something that will knock her out.
    2. She wakes up in Lex’s bed and they’re seemingly married.
    3. Smut ensues.
    4. They must have a baby named Lena, who must have a ponytail on top of her head like a monchichi (from the 1980s cartoon if you’re not familiar with that reference).
    5. Lex calls Lena his monchichi.

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Title: The Completely Mental Misadventures of Mr. Mxyzptlk – Story 4: Where's Pete When You Need Him?
    Author’s Note: The fourth story comes from my own warped little brain and a few suggestions from friends on what they’d like to see in the fic series. I just didn’t have a solid challenge that would fit in this particular spot. Sorry.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe lay back on the uncomfortable bed in her doctor’s office and placed her feet in the stirrups as instructed. When she woke up a couple of days ago from what she thought was a very vivid dream about her and Lex being married, she noticed that she had pain between her legs and she was bleeding. She made an appointment with her doctor and explained the situation, and now she was about to go through the exam that would change her life – she just didn’t know it yet. She heard her doctor make a knowing noise and push his chair away from the bed.

“You know what’s wrong?” Chloe asked hopefully. The older man nodded and smiled gently before standing up and folding his arms across his chest.

“You could have mentioned that you’ve become sexually active, Chloe. It’s not at all unusual for a woman to bleed after her first time,” he said. Chloe’s eyes grew wide.

“What? No. I’m not – I mean – I haven’t – I ---”

“Don’t worry. It’s all confidential,” the doctor said. “Your dad doesn’t need to know.”

“But, I ---” Chloe trailed off as she remembered how real it had all seemed at the time. Then her mind flitted to the strange little man that had been floating in Cole’s living room and all of the weird things that she heard happened to her friends as well. The baby in what she thought was a dream called the stuffed dragon Mxyzptlk, which sounded like what the man had called himself. Was it actually possible that she and Lex had been together? She inwardly frowned. Even if she told him, there was a very real possibility that Lex would just think she was crazy, so she decided against that option. But she felt the driving need to talk to *somebody* about what was going on – and it wasn’t going to be her doctor, because he would have her committed for a psych evaluation in a heartbeat.

Definitely not Pete. He had been there when Mr. Mxyzptlk had appeared, but she was pretty sure he was passing off the experience to meteor fumes or something since he hadn’t spoken of it since. Plus, she could almost picture him going to borrow Mr. Kent’s rifle for the occasion – even if she told him it was just a dream. There was Clark. He was there too, and he was the one who backed up Lana’s story about the so-called genie turning into the small floating man. On the other hand, if she told him what happened, she risked him thinking that she was nuts or losing whatever little chance she might have with him, so that was out too.

There was Lana. She had her own horrible experience with Mr. Mxyzptlk, so certainly she would be able to empathize with Chloe. But, she would have to be prepared to tell Lana the truth and not omit any details about who her husband had been and that the idea wasn’t entirely repulsive to her; in fact, it had seemed right. She finally resigned herself to nodding absently at her doctor. If all else failed, she could always call the teen hotline they had set up at school and just leave out details.

“Have you thought about it?” The doctor asked, bringing Chloe back to the realization that he had been talking all that time and she hadn’t heard a word he said. She stared at him with what he interpreted to be an overwhelmed expression on her face and he smiled compassionately. “Okay, look. I’ll give you some pamphlets to take home. They basically describe the pros and cons of the different kinds of birth control. Just read over them and let me know what you decide, alright?”

An hour later, Chloe was sipping her coffee alone at a corner table in the Talon. They weren’t busy, but Lana was taking up most of Clark’s attention and vice versa. Mr. Mxyzptlk, observing invisibly, noticed this as well and was a bit confused. He thought that Clark liked Chloe and that was the entire reason for hooking Chloe and Lex up in the first place; just to torment Clark.

‘Maybe he just hasn’t made up his mind yet,’ he thought to himself. An evil smile crept across his lips. ‘But I can help with that.’ With that, Mr. Mxyzptlk popped himself out of the coffee shop.

‘It doesn’t matter,’ Chloe thought, forcing herself to look away from the couple at the counter. ‘I wouldn’t know where to start anyway.’ She didn’t notice Lucas come into the building, get his coffee, and then come striding over to her until he took the seat across from her and flashed her an almost hypnotic smile.

“Hey beautiful,” he greeted. She stared at him over the rim of her cup. Normally flattery was nice, even if it was coming from someone who had pickup lines down to a polished art form, but not today. Today she had too many other things occupying her mind to put up with this crap.

“That’s the second time you’ve called me that. I *do* have a name, you know?” She bit. Lucas didn’t seem at all fazed by the comment. Instead, he nodded his head and leaned back leisurely in his chair.

“I know, *Chloe*. But, you only ever hang out with dumb and dumber – well, and pretty prissy princess over there,” he said. Chloe raised her eyebrows in amusement.

“You make her sound like a ‘My Little Pony’ figurine.”

“She’s not?” Lucas joked. Despite her best effort not to laugh, she let out a little chuckle. “The point is, I don’t think any one of them has enough brain cells to appreciate you,” he said in a mock honest tone. Chloe gave him a wince of a smile and sipped at her coffee.

Even though she was sitting in the corner, Sheriff Neil Matthews noticed Chloe when he first came into the Talon. He didn’t know why, but for some reason he had been stricken with the irresistible urge to get coffee and he made his way down to the coffee shop right away. He frowned when he saw Lucas saunter across the room and sit at her table. He thought she had more common sense than to hang out with Lionel Luthor’s youngest son, who had quite the criminal record from what he had been able to gather. Most of it had been covered up by the boy’s evil father, but there were still rumors and the occasional misplaced piece of paperwork that turned up. Of course, Chloe was best friends with Clark Kent too, and that boy seemed to show up at every possible crime scene there was in Smallville.

“Hello, Sheriff,” Lana greeted with a smile. “What can I get for you today?”

“Black coffee to go,” he answered somewhat gruffly, his eyes still fixed in a disapproving glare toward Chloe’s table. Clark followed his line of sight and groaned.

“Dang,” Clark said under his breath. “I thought Lex warned him to stay away from Chloe.” He was talking more to himself than to anyone else, but Matthews overheard him. He couldn’t say that he liked the Kent boy all that much, but he didn’t exactly have any evidence against him either. The closest thing he had were the pictures that Chloe took, which showed a blurred image in several shots. Unfortunately, the lab hadn’t been able to clear it up much, so Matthews was forced to accept defeat for the time being.

“Maybe he needs a reminder,” the sheriff said casually. Clark looked at him in surprise. Sheriff Matthews hadn’t been all that friendly toward him since taking over the position – but he had gone out of his way to be nice to Chloe. Clark’s surprised look changed into a suspicious glare. Matthews was probably only being nice to Chloe to learn his secret and if he wasn’t --- Clark inwardly shook his head, not even wanting to think about it. The guy had to be in his late twenties; he was way too old for Chloe. Clark started to stand up, but Matthews held out his hand to push him back down. “Let me.” His eyes darted toward Lana, where she was helping a customer at the other side of the counter, and then back to Clark. “It will seem less personal that way.” Clark looked at him pensively. On one hand, he didn’t want Matthews to get any ideas about going after his friend; on the other, he had obviously noticed the ongoing triangle between him, Chloe, and Lana – and if he let the sheriff go over to warn Lucas off then the job would still get done without Lana getting mad at him.

“Thanks,” Clark finally said, still not entirely convinced of the purity behind the sheriff’s motives.

Matthews gave him a curt nod and Clark watched as he started walking over to Chloe’s table.

“Okay, here you ---” Lana trailed off when she saw that the sheriff was no longer standing there talking to Clark. She followed Clark’s gaze over to where Matthews was now talking to Lucas and Chloe and then she leaned her elbows onto the counter so she could speak to Clark in a hushed voice. “What do you think *that’s* about? Is Lucas in trouble or something?”

“Or something,” Clark responded, matching her volume. He focused his super hearing on the conversation so he could listen in.

‘Ooh! Fun, fun!’ Mr. Mxyzptlk thought to himself as he leaned back in the air, everyone in the room oblivious to his presence.

“They were *all* blurred?” Chloe asked. Matthews shook his head.

“Not all of them; and they weren’t blurry, but there was a smudge or something on some of them.”

“Weird,” she said under her breath.

“Yeah, weird,” Lucas said shortly and then gave the sheriff a fake smile. “Is that all? Because you know, *Chloe* and I were having a nice little conversation.” Chloe arched an eyebrow at him. Lucas felt threatened by Neil Matthews?

‘Could my life get any more bizarre?’ She thought. “No we weren’t,” she said. Lucas smiled and her and tilted his head to the side.

“But it was getting there,” he said. Chloe was about to tell him that it wasn’t, when Matthews decided to speak up.

“I’m sure that Miss Sullivan has better things to do with her time than to ---”

Lucas scoffed and then shook his head at the man.

“*Miss Sullivan*. Geez! You sound like my brother,” Lucas said. Chloe started coughing on the drink she had just tried to swallow and cleared her throat a couple of times until she was completely better.

“Are you okay?” Both guys asked at once. Chloe placed a fake smile on her lips.

“Fine, it just went down wrong,” she lied. What was she going to tell them? That Lucas even casually mentioning Lex in conversation brought back an image of the two of them together?

Clark snickered. Neither one of those guys had a chance with Chloe; he didn’t know why he had been so concerned about it. He noticed Lana giving him a strange look and realized that he must have made the sound out loud.

“What?” He asked, hoping that she would fall for his ‘innocent’ face. Lana narrowed her eyes at him and then shook her head a little.

“I don’t know,” she said. “You just --- well, it wasn’t really a laugh, but ---” She trailed off as the bell on the door sounded and she saw Lex walk in. She gave him a small smile as he walked over. “Hi Lex.” Clark turned around a little on his stool and smiled at his friend.

“Hey Lex.”

Lex nodded once at both of them.

“Clark, Lana,” he said. “I don’t suppose either one of you has seen ---” Lex paused as his eyes scanned the establishment and he caught his brother sitting with Chloe. “Lucas.” His brother’s name came out as a small growl and Clark and Lana exchanged a surprised expression. Lex squared his jaw and started to walk over to the table.

“Well, that settles it,” Lana said. “Lucas is *definitely* in trouble.” She crinkled up her nose and looked at Clark. “I wonder what he did?”

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 2
    ~*~*~*~

Chloe’s eyes widened when she saw Lex heading over to the table.

‘It’s okay,’ she tried to tell herself. ‘It’s not like he remembers anything – hey, it’s not like there’s anything to remember because it was probably just a dream and I’m overreacting,’ she inwardly rambled. ‘Oh yeah?’ the little voice in her head spoke up, ‘then why were you bleeding?’ She forced herself to focus when Lex reached their table. She noticed that his eyes were fixed on Lucas in a cold, warning glare; and although she probably should have felt sorry for Lucas, all she could feel was relief for herself.

“Hey Lex,” Lucas said in a smug tone and a teasing grin on his lips. It hadn’t been long since Lex had told him that he didn’t have a chance with Chloe, and ever since then Lucas had a strong suspicion that Lex had some sort of feelings for the girl – even if he hadn’t admitted them to himself yet. When he heard Lex calling out Chloe’s name in what he assumed was a masturbatory passion, it only served to solidify his theory.

“What are you doing here?” Lex asked, holding in his temper only because the sheriff was standing next to the table as well. Lucas held up his coffee cup and wiggled it back and forth as much as he could without spilling any of the hot liquid. Lex frowned. “You’re here for coffee? You expect me to believe that?”

“You can believe anything you’d like,” Lucas said with a shrug.

Sheriff Matthews and Chloe shared a look. Lex was obviously angry with Lucas about something and Lucas was apparently goading him on. Both of them were smart enough to know better than to get in the middle of a Luthor war. As Lex and Lucas kept their eyes fixed on each other, the sheriff motioned for Chloe to get up.

‘Ye-ah,’ Chloe thought, ‘because that wouldn’t look like I was trying to run away at all. Geez. What is it with the stupid guys in this town?’ Her eyes darted around the room and she smiled brightly when she saw Pete walk in the front door. ‘Thank you, God!’

“Okay, well,” Chloe said as she quickly pushed her chair away from the table, “see you guys later.” Lex turned his head when she spoke and opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. What could he say to her in front of his brother and the local sheriff without sounding like he was crazy?

‘Hey – you remember a couple of days ago when my imaginary friend made us think we were married with a baby? Yeah, *that* would go over well,’ Lex thought sarcastically. Chloe pushed her way past her nerves and flashed a small grin at Lex before turning to leave. ‘Shit. She doesn’t remember at all.’

Matthews shot a warning glare at Lucas and then he headed back to the counter to retrieve his now lukewarm coffee. He was pleased to see Chloe rush over to Pete Ross and practically pull him out the door even though he had just come in. At least she had friends to help her get out of whatever Lucas was trying to pursue with her.

“Way to scare her off,” Lucas complained, snapping Lex out of whatever thoughts he was having while staring at the Talon’s front door. Lex turned his attention back to his brother and squared his jaw before sitting down.

“Pete just showed up; she would have left anyway,” Lex said with a calm he didn’t feel. “Why was the sheriff over here? Are you in trouble?” Lucas shrugged.

“Not that I know of,” he answered. Lex tilted his head slightly to the side, weighing whether or not he believed him and Lucas rolled his eyes. “He was over here for the same reason you were.”

“I sincerely doubt that.”

“You came over here to warn me away from her, right?” Lucas asked snidely. Lex barely resisted the urge to knock over the table between them and strangle him, but Lucas could see his nostrils flare with the comment and he smirked at the reaction he got. If he knew one thing about his brother, it was that he didn’t like competition, and it was a much more strategic play on Lucas’s part to get Lex jealous of the sheriff rather than him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Pete, you have incredible timing,” Chloe said as she looped her arm through his. Pete looked down at the contact and then back up to her.

“Are you okay, Chloe?”

“I’m fine – okay, well, I’m not fine,” she said and gave her head a light shake, “but that’s not the point.”

“What *is* the point?”

“The point is that you have incredible timing,” she said and stopped as they reached her car.

“Not that I don’t love a compliment, but I have a feeling this doesn’t have anything to do with me,” he said, giving her a questioning look. Chloe sighed and tilted her head to the side.

“Sorry,” she said. “I had some bad news from my doctor today ---”

“Are you still sick?” Pete cut her off and took a wary step away from her. Chloe chuckled at his reaction and shook her head.

“No, I’m feeling better – but thanks for your concern.” She said the last part pointedly and Pete gave her light smile.

“Sorry Chlo, I just can’t afford to get sick with our game this Saturday,” he said. A look of understanding dawned on Chloe’s face.

“So, *that’s* why you haven’t been around,” she mused aloud. Pete frowned and shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Yeah. Coach is pushing everybody pretty hard. He’s even put us on curfew,” he said. Chloe let out a small laugh and Pete’s frown faded into a grin. “So, why do I have incredible timing?”

“Oh yeah, that,” Chloe said, almost forgetting their original topic of conversation – or at least she was hoping to. “Lex’s brother just kind of helped himself to sitting at my table and it was just kind of uncomfortable.” She decided not to tell him about the rest of what was on her mind, knowing that he wouldn’t react well at all. The expression on Pete’s face grew serious and even a little threatening. Chloe wasn’t watching his hands or she would have noticed them clenching into fists.

“Was he hitting on you?”

“Not really – well, sort of I guess.” Chloe paused and shook her head. “No, not really. I think that’s just how he is.”

“I’ll kill him,” Pete said under his breath. Chloe chuckled, thinking that he was joking.

“I don’t think that’s necessary, Pete,” she said. “And how would you make the game on Saturday if you were locked up?”

“My mom is a judge,” he said. “There’s no way I would still be in jail by Saturday.” That only made Chloe laugh harder and Pete smiled because of it. “Besides, I don’t think I would even be arrested. I’ve seen the looks that new sheriff has been giving you,” he said teasingly. Chloe stopped laughing and looked at him in confusion.

“What are you talking about?”

“Oh, please. Like you haven’t noticed?” Pete’s eyebrows rose when he saw the completely clueless expression on Chloe’s face. “Dang, girl. I know you have a crush on Clark, but you need to start opening up your eyes. There are lots of guys right in front of you who you’re completely ignoring.”

Chloe felt a pang of guilt as she remembered when Pete was under the influence of the Nicodemus flower. He hadn’t shown any signs about being interested in her since then, but she couldn’t help but wonder if he was talking about himself. She decided to make light of the situation before it got too uncomfortable.

“Who? Like Lucas? I think I’ll pass, thanks,” she said.

“Yeah, speaking of him – he must have been pretty bad for you to practically push me out of there as an excuse.”

“He really wasn’t,” she said and shook her head. “But no matter how many times he calls me *beautiful*, I’m not going to start liking him; and in the mood I’m in today --- it was really more annoying than anything.” She glanced down at her watch and then gave Pete a small smile. “I’ve gotta get going. Talk to you later?”

“Yeah,” Pete said with a forced smile, “call me.” She nodded and Pete watched her as she drove off. He let the corners of his mouth fall into a menacing scowl. “I can’t believe he was hitting on her. Who the hell does he think he is?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk had watched the entire scene in and outside the Talon play out with a strange fascination. Neither Chloe nor Lex had told anyone what had happened to them – not even each other – even though they both strongly suspected that it hadn’t been a dream.

‘How am I supposed to upset Clark with the information if no one *gives* him the information?’ He thought to himself. An almost evil grin curled his lips upward. ‘Ooh. I know.’

Pete went back inside the Talon and gave a small smile to the sheriff who was just now on his way out after waiting for Lana to get him a new cup of coffee. He glanced around the room and his eyes narrowed when he saw Lucas and Lex talking over coffee at one of the back corner tables. Normally he would have just ignored them, but for some reason, he felt an overwhelming surge of protectiveness flow through his body.

Mr. Mxyzptlk looked on invisibly as Pete crossed the room and glared angrily at Lucas. He snapped his fingers and leaned back in the air as he watched his scheme go into action.

“You,” Pete said, pointing a finger at Lucas, “you stay the hell away from her!”

Clark and Lana shared a confused expression as they saw Pete come in, but instead of greeting them, he headed directly over to Lex and Lucas and started yelling. Lana leaned toward him.

“Maybe you should go over and play peacekeeper,” she suggested. Clark nodded.

“Good idea.”

Lucas arched an eyebrow at Pete and Lex leaned over the table toward him.

“He’s talking about Chloe,” he said in a hushed voice. Lucas rolled his eyes.

“I *know* that. I’m not an idiot, Lex.”

“The validity of that statement remains to be proven,” Lex said. Lucas gave him a tight grin and looked back at Pete.

“What are you getting mad at me for? I’m not the one who was jacking off while thinking about her,” he said, his brother’s eyes growing wide as the statement poured from his mouth. Pete’s anger seethed and his hands clamped onto Lucas’s shirt. With what seemed to be super-human strength, he picked the younger Luthor up and threw him against the wall.

Clark didn’t realize what was happening until too late and he rushed over to Lucas’s unconscious form. There was some blood coming from the back of his head, but he was still breathing. He looked over at Lana and she took his non-verbal signal to call an ambulance. Pete just stood there in shock, amazed by what had just happened.

“Pete?” Clark asked. The sound of Clark’s voice just barely registered in Pete’s head. Instead, Pete turned to look at Lex, who seemed just as stunned as he was.

“What did he mean by the ‘jacking off’ comment?”

~*~*~*~*~
    Ch. 3
    ~*~*~*~*~

Lex looked at his brother and then back at Pete.

“How did you do that?” he asked suspiciously.

“You answer my question, I answer yours,” Pete said.

Lex ignored him and went to check on his brother. Sure, Clark had already checked on him and there was an ambulance en route, but checking on Lucas had the dual benefit of making him not look like an uncaring asshole in front of the other patrons of the Talon and allowing him to dodge Pete’s question at the same time. Momentarily anyway.

“Lucas?” Lex shook his brother’s shoulder a little bit, but Lucas didn’t respond. Lex wasn’t concerned. Lucas was still breathing and his heart rate was still good, he was just unconscious and a little bit bloody. Pete started to stalk over to him, but Clark held him back, shooting him a questioning look with his eyes.

“What’s going on with you?” Clark whispered, his gaze darting to the Luthors on the floor and then back to Pete. Pete tilted his head toward Clark.

“I don’t know,” he admitted in a hushed voice. “I just got so angry. I’ve never felt anything like that before, Clark.” Clark frowned at his friend. “And then, the next thing you know ---” he trailed off and shook his head as he looked at Lucas. “Do you think this has something to do with the ‘you-know-what’?”

“Maybe,” Clark said, sounding unconvinced. “But do you think it can do that?” Pete shrugged.

“It cured your mom,” he pointed out.

“Yeah, but ---” Clark stopped whispering when the ambulance and a police car pulled up outside the Talon.

Sheriff Matthews came in first and his eyebrows rose when he saw the unconscious bleeding form of Lucas on the floor. The paramedics came in and started to take his vital signs as the sheriff began to ask questions.

“Why am I not surprised to see you here?” he asked Clark. Clark shoved his hands in his pockets and gave him his best ‘I’m innocent’ look.

“Because I’ve been here for the last hour?” Clark offered. Matthews scowled at him and then made his way over to where Lex was watching his brother being examined.

“You want to tell me what happened?” the sheriff asked.

“Mr. Ross came over to our table to tell Lucas to stay away from Chloe; Lucas made an inappropriate comment; Mr. Ross lost his temper,” Lex summarized. Matthews looked over at Pete and motioned for him to come over.

Mr. Mxyzptlk watched on, disguised as one of the paramedics. He blinked once and Pete’s boiling anger and super-strength that he had temporarily given him were taken away. Pete walked over to the sheriff and gave him a guilty look.

“*You* did this?” Matthews asked. Pete’s shoulders sunk.

“Yes, sir,” he said.

“How?”

“I – I don’t know,” he said and shook his head a little. “It just sort of --- happened.” Matthews looked questioningly at Pete.

“What did he say to set you off?”

“He was hitting on Chloe,” Pete said in a defensive tone.

“And?”

“And then,” Pete paused and ducked his head, “then he said something about Lex – you know – while thinking about her – and ---”

Lex was suddenly overwhelmed with feelings from when Mr. Mxyzptlk made him and Chloe believe they were married.

“I wasn’t jacking off and what I do with Chloe is none of your ---” Lex interrupted, only to stop himself when he realized what he had just said, and who he said it to. Sheriff Matthews and Pete both narrowed their eyes at him.

“What did you say?” Matthews asked in low growl fraught with suspicion.

“Yeah,” Pete chimed in. “News flash Luthor – Chloe would never go out with you.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk grinned mischievously as he helped lift Lucas onto the stretcher. He was a little surprised that Lex hadn’t recognized him yet, since he went to all the trouble of looking like he did when he was Lex’s ‘imaginary friend’, but he would get a good look at him soon enough.

“Excuse us,” he said as he walked backward, carrying his end of the stretcher. Lex and the sheriff moved to the sides but Lex grabbed the man’s arm as soon as he recognized him, almost causing them to drop Lucas.

“You!” Lex yelled. Clark’s eyebrows rose and he leaned his head to the side. He didn’t recognize the man, but Lex obviously did. “You took her away from me!”

“She wasn’t yours to begin with,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said in a taunting voice. Lex snarled at him and he started laughing. Clark recognized the laugh and finally put the pieces together. He stepped toward Mr. Mxyzptlk and stared him down.

“What did you do?” he asked accusingly. Mr. Mxyzptlk smiled giddily.

“I don’t know what you mean,” he answered. Clark reached out and grabbed him by the jacket, to which Mr. Mxyzptlk responded by changing back into his true form and floating out of Clark’s grasp. The sheriff’s mouth dropped open and it looked like his eyes were about to pop out of his head. The other paramedic let go of his end of the stretcher, but Lucas body stayed horizontal as it hovered in mid-air.

“What the hell?” Matthews asked. Mr. Mxyzptlk waved his hand and everyone in the Talon froze except for him, Clark, and Lex.

“What did you do?” Clark repeated.

“I froze them,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said.

“I can *see* that,” Clark said. “I mean ---”

“I want her back,” Lex interrupted, completely unfazed by Mr. Mxyzptlk’s normal appearance, or the fact that the imp could bend all rules of physics in the universe to suit his whim. Clark and Mr. Mxyzptlk turned to face him.

“You never had her,” Mr. Mxyzptlk reminded him, but then tilted his head to the side. “Well, okay, you *had* her, but - it was just one of my fun little games.”

“I don’t care,” Lex said in almost a growl. “I want my life back.” Clark observed the two of them with a great deal of confusion.

Mr. Mxyzptlk smiled proudly.

“I made them think that they were married,” he answered. Clark was almost afraid to ask, but only because he had a strong suspicion as to what the answer would be.

“Who?” he asked hesitantly.

“Me and Chloe,” Lex answered for the little man. Mr. Mxyzptlk nodded in agreement.

“Why?” Clark asked.

“Because ---”

“I don’t care why,” Lex interrupted again, “but I’ll pay you whatever you want to get her back.” A look of complete shock crossed Clark’s face and Mr. Mxyzptlk just seemed amused.

“Lex, I don’t think ---”

“I don’t need your money,” Mr. Mxyzptlk cut off Clark and sloughed off Lex’s proposal with a wave of his hand.

“What *do* you need?” Lex asked. Mr. Mxyzptlk was surprised. He should have expected a counter offer from Clark’s future nemesis, but for some reason he hadn’t, and it intrigued him. He waved his hand again as Clark was starting to protest what Lex had just said and Clark froze.

“Interesting,” Mr. Mxyzptlk mused aloud. Lex was about to say something when Mr. Mxyzptlk snapped his fingers and everyone in the place fell to the floor or slumped down in their chairs, including Lex. The ambulance and other paramedic disappeared, as did the stretcher underneath Lucas. The blood on the wall disappeared and Lucas’s head wound healed. Then, Mr. Mxyzptlk added a final touch of making the room smell like natural gas. With a blink of his eyes, he vanished.

Clark awoke around the same time as the others, with his head pounding and coughing into his t-shirt as he held it up to his nose and mouth. All of the patrons made it outside and Lana shook her head lightly as she wove through them to get to Clark and Pete.

“I can’t believe we had a gas leak,” she said as she got up to him. “I hope everyone’s going to be alright.”

“I’m sure they will be,” Clark said reassuringly. The sheriff came over and gave Lana a quick nod of his head as a greeting.

“We’re going to have to shut you down for a few days until they can find the source of the leak and contain it,” he said. Lana nodded.

“Of course,” she agreed. Matthews looked suspiciously at Clark before leaving and Lana furrowed her brow. “What was that about?”

“I don’t know,” Clark lied. “He just doesn’t seem to like me for some reason.”

Lex and Lucas walked over to where the group of teenagers had gathered and just like them, or most of them anyway, they didn’t remember what had happened either.

“Lex, I’m so sorry. I don’t know how this could have happened,” Lana said.

“I’m sure it wasn’t your fault, Lana,” Lex said. Lucas rolled his eyes as much as he could before the throbbing pain in his head stopped him.

“Of course not,” he said somewhat sarcastically, only reigning in the full force of his quip because too many of her friends were surrounding her. He made a face and then looked at Clark. “Hey, I didn’t see ---” He was about to say that he didn’t see Chloe leave and ask if she was alright when he saw her talking to the sheriff and trailed off. “Never mind, I see her,” he said with a smile.

Pete shook his head as he watched Lucas cross through the crowd to get to Chloe.

“You think he even realizes that he doesn’t have a shot with her?” Pete asked. Clark looked over at Lex to gauge his reaction, and frowned when he saw Lex squaring his jaw. Pete turned back around and gave Clark and Lana a small smile. “Well, I gotta go guys. Talk to you later.” Lex barely acknowledged the fact that Pete walked off before trying to head in Lucas and Chloe’s direction. Clark stopped him and smiled at Lana.

“Lana – isn’t that the health inspector?”

Lana’s head whipped around and she wrinkled her nose.

“Ooh,” she muttered under her breath. “Wish me luck.”

Lex turned to look at Clark almost angrily, but Clark glanced at Chloe and then back to his friend.

“She doesn’t remember, Lex,” Clark said. Lex looked at him questioningly and Clark sighed and gave him a sad, almost pitying look. “She doesn’t remember.”

The End
    (Of Story # 4)

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Title: The Completely Mental Misadventures of Mr. Mxyzptlk – Story 5: Deal With The Devil
    Rating: R
    Author’s Note: The fifth story is based on Rachael’s challenge, and the requirements will be listed at the end of it. Just so you know, because of the contents of the challenge, I’m going to be making this into a dual story fulfillment (parts I & II). This part takes place a week or so after the last one left off. Enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Luthor Castle

Over the last week, Mr. Mxyzptlk had been quiet, picking up lots of knowledge about the relationships and goings-on in Smallville without anyone being the wiser. Clark liked Chloe as a friend, and maybe a little more, but only seemed to be moderately concerned that he had made Chloe and Lex think they were married.

‘Only because he wasn’t told how far it went,’ Mr. Mxyzptlk thought to himself with a smile. His thoughts were pushed aside when he heard footsteps in the hallway. He had a plan and it was time to put it into motion. Quickly, he morphed into Lionel’s image and a glass of an amber colored liquid magically appeared in his hand.

Lex scowled at him the second he walked into the room and saw his dad seated in front of the fireplace. He walked over to the decanter set and poured himself a drink, swallowing some of the alcohol before turning to face who he thought was his father.

“I wasn’t expecting to see you here,” Lex said coolly. Mr. Mxyzptlk lifted his lips in a smug smirk that he had seen Lionel use many times over the course of his observation.

“Unhappy to see me, Lex?”

Lex took another sip from his glass and turned around to walk to the chair across from Mr. Mxyzptlk. He sat down and gave Mr. Mxyzptlk a completely neutral expression, although Mr. Mxyzptlk could tell that it was well practiced.

“Why don’t we just skip the small talk and you can tell me what you’re doing here?” Lex asked snidely. Mr. Mxyzptlk rolled his eyes a little to the side and then looked back at Lex.

“Such hostility,” he teased and then let out a mock sigh. “Well, I suppose that’s to be expected.” He set his glass down on the side table next to him and leaned back in his chair. “Tell me, how much do you know about the young woman that your brother is chasing after. What was her name? Chloe Sullivan?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk noticed that Lex covered his surprise and his anger well.

“I’m sure there’s nothing I can tell you that your detectives haven’t already,” Lex responded and took a larger swig from his glass. Mr. Mxyzptlk looked at him questioningly and Lex squared his jaw. “You don’t need to worry about her – she’s not after his money,” Lex said. A small grin played at his lips. “She’s not after him,” he said before raising his glass to his lips and taking the last drink.

“I see,” Lionel said.

“No, you don’t,” Lex said, leaning forward in his chair. “She doesn’t like him as anything more than a friend – if even that. She’s not any kind of threat to you.”

“She’s the daughter of your plant manager *and* a reporter,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said in a displeased tone. Inwardly he was thrilled though. Lex was getting riled up and that’s exactly what he needed for his plan to succeed.

“For the high school paper,” Lex countered. Mr. Mxyzptlk arched an eyebrow and Lex sighed and leaned back in his chair. “She’s a friend of Clark’s,” he said, answering what he believed to be his father’s unspoken question about how he knew so much about her. Mr. Mxyzptlk gave Lex a teasing grin and took a sip from his glass.

“If I didn’t know of your propensity toward brunettes, I’d say that Lucas might have competition,” he said goatingly. Lex stared at him and Mr. Mxyzptlk rose from his chair and flashed him a smile. “Well, in any case, I should be able to evaluate the situation for myself this evening. Lex tilted his head and started to stand up.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, I didn’t tell you?” He smiled broadly, smugly. “I’m meeting Gabe and his lovely daughter Chloe for dinner tonight – at, uh – The Jade Dragon I think it was.”

“What?” Lex ground out through gritted teeth.

“Indeed,” Mr. Mxyzptlk confirmed. “I thought it would only be fitting to meet the woman that my son is so enamored with and Gabe agreed that he would like to meet Lucas, so he and I arranged a bit of a sit-down if you will.” He gave a light chuckle. “Neither Lucas nor Chloe knows the either will be there, so it should provide a pleasant surprise.” He let his smile fall to an amused grin. “And if not, then at least it will be entertaining.” Mr. Mxyzptlk turned on his heel and left. “Have a good night, son.”

Lex growled as the door shut behind Mr. Mxyzptlk. He grabbed his cell phone out of his jacket pocket and dialed for the operator. He listened to the voice on the other line for a moment and then spoke into the phone.

“Yes. I need the number for The Jade Dragon restaurant in Smallville,” he said. There was a pause as the information was received. “Yes. Could you connect me?”

Lex listened to the phone ring and didn’t even realize that he was pacing. Mr. Mxyzptlk watched on from his now invisible state and almost started laughing.

“This is Lex Luthor. My father has reservations there tonight --- eight o’clock? Right. I need to add another member to the party.”

The Jade Dragon Restaurant – later that evening

“So, are you going to tell me what prompted this sudden urge for father-daughter bonding?” Chloe asked as Gabe held the door open for her. Gabe grinned at her.

“I barely get to see you anymore, sweetheart, that’s all. And I figured since Lana has to work late at the Talon, we could spend some quality time together,” he answered. Chloe arched an eyebrow and shook her head lightly.

“You’re the worst liar ever,” she said with a laughing smile. “Okay, maybe not *ever*, because Clark ranks right up there too. But you’re definitely in the top ten,” she said while pointing a finger at him. Gabe chuckled and gave his daughter a half-hug around the shoulders.

“Just don’t kill me,” he said in a hushed voice as they neared the host’s podium. She narrowed her eyes at him, but was soon distracted by someone saying her name. She looked over to the counter, only to see Sheriff Matthews smiling at her. She smiled back and told her dad that she would be back in a second. The host was busy seating someone else, so Gabe looked on in amusement as Chloe went to go talk to the officer.

“You’re early,” Lex said to Gabe as he came through the front doors. Gabe turned around and smiled at Lex as he stuck his hand out for a handshake.

“Lex,” he greeted.

“Gabe,” Lex responded, shaking his hand. Lex’s eyes went to where Chloe was talking with the sheriff and Gabe followed his line of sight.

“It seems like he’s being a little *too* friendly with her, but I’m probably just being paranoid because I’m her dad,” Gabe said, a small frown starting to appear on his lips.

“You’re not,” Lex said. Gabe gave him a strange look and Lex smiled. “Being paranoid,” he clarified. “Lucas and her friend Pete have pointed out the same thing recently.” The frown on Gabe’s face grew more pronounced.

“He’s too old for her.”

“She’s a mature young woman,” Lex said carefully. “How old is too old?” He only hoped that Gabe wouldn’t see through his thinly veiled attempt at finding out what Gabe considered to be an acceptable age difference for dating his daughter.

“I know she’s mature,” Gabe said, “and I guess I’ve always expected her to end up with someone older; but I was thinking more along the lines of five or six years, not *thirteen*.” Lex inwardly smiled. Chloe’s dad considered the difference in their ages to be acceptable – he even expected it. That would make things much easier. The second part of what Gabe said finally broke through Lex’s thoughts.

“Matthews is thirty?” he asked. Gabe nodded, prompting Lex to do the same. “That is too old. But five or six years --- would mean someone around my age,” he said hesitantly to see how Gabe would react to the idea of him with his daughter. Gabe snickered.

“I think your brother might have a problem with that,” he said.

“Do you know Lucas?”

“No, but I know he’s persistent,” Gabe answered. “If this dinner with your family doesn’t work out tonight, then I think she’ll be ready to take out a restraining order on him.” He was joking, but Lex nodded seriously in agreement.

“She should,” he said. Gabe chuckled, thinking that Lex was joking in kind. Lex grinned and watched as Matthew’s take-out order was brought to him. Chloe waved goodbye and strolled back over to her dad, not even seeming to notice that Lex was there.

“You know, for being a cop, he ---” she trailed off when she saw Lex standing there and tried desperately to force down the blush she knew was going to rise to her cheeks. “M-”

“Lex,” he cut her off. Chloe smiled uneasily.

“Lex,” she said.

“Chloe,” he greeted. “So, what were you and the good sheriff talking about?”

“Oh. Noth-”

A little girl with a furry little doll came running past and bumped into Chloe, interrupting what she was going to say.

“Monchichi!” the little girl yelled excitedly, spinning the doll around in the air. Chloe and Lex’s eyes both grew wide, but Gabe just shook his head in amusement.

“I remember that cartoon. Your cousin Tommy used to watch it,” Gabe told Chloe. Chloe turned her head to look at him, but caught Lex’s eyes instead. Chloe quickly looked away and smiled nervously at her dad.

“I forgot – I promised Lana that I’d bring her home something, but I didn’t write down what she wanted --- I’m just going to go call her real quick,” Chloe stammered, pointing toward the phones and dodging eye contact with Lex. Gabe opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by the sound of Lucas and Mr. Mxyzptlk, who once again looked liked Lionel, coming in the front doors.

“Chloe!”

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 2
    ~*~*~*~

“Lucas,” Chloe greeted with a fake smile. Lucas came over and tried to give her a hug, but Chloe stepped toward her dad instead. “What’s he doing here?” she asked in a strained, whispered voice.

“Surprise?” Gabe offered. Chloe narrowed her eyes at her dad and Lex shot Mr. Mxyzptlk an ‘I told you so’ look.

Lucas didn’t seem at all fazed by Chloe’s apparent disregard for him. He gave her a broad smile and then shook Gabe’s hand politely.

“Lucas Luthor,” he introduced. Gabe nodded once and shook his hand back.

“Gabe Sullivan.”

The host finally showed up at the podium and flashed an apologetic smile at the group.

“I’m so sorry,” he said as he grabbed the menus. “We’ve been really busy tonight.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk let out a derisive huff and Lex shot him a warning look. His father was used to dining at only the best restaurants with the best service, and Lex had a feeling that he was going to make their poor waiter’s life a living hell for the time they were there. The group started following the host to their table and Lex placed a hand on the small of Chloe’s back. Chloe looked up at him, startled. Lex leaned down to speak into her ear and Chloe felt a shiver of delight pass through her. She quickly forced it down.

‘He doesn’t think of you like that and he doesn’t remember what happened,’ she reminded herself. ‘Stupid little floating guy.’

“If he tries anything, just tell me,” Lex whispered. Chloe furrowed her brow slightly in confusion, wondering why Lex was being so protective all of a sudden. She could understand it if they were really together, but they weren’t and – was there a possibility that he remembered? She looked away from him as they reached the table and Lucas took the seat next to hers.

No sooner did they sit down before Chloe noticed Clark and Pete walking into the restaurant, presumably for takeout since they went straight to the counter. Pete noticed her and they waved at each other.

Mr. Mxyzptlk frowned. If Clark was here, it would ruin his plan. He had to think of something to get him out of here. Damn. That stupid boy and his friend were on their way over to the table.

Lex noticed Mr. Mxyzptlk scowling at Clark and his face lit up.

“Clark, Mr. Ross,” Lex stood up and greeted with a nod of his head. Clark smiled back and Pete returned the head nod.

“What’s this all about?” Pete asked, motioning to the table that seated the three Luthor men, Chloe, and her dad. Lucas leaned back in his chair and gave Pete a cocky smile as he draped his arm over Chloe’s shoulders.

“Dinner with the future in-laws,” he answered. Chloe rolled her eyes and took Lucas’s arm off of her. Pete snickered and Mr. Mxyzptlk arched an eyebrow.

“Is something amusing?” he asked in a sneering tone, copying what he figured Lionel would do in the situation. Pete and Chloe exchanged a look and Pete beamed him a fake smile.

“No, sir,” he said in a tone that reeked of mock respect. Clark cringed with embarrassment, but Chloe, Lex, and Pete all barely hid their chuckles afterward.

As much as Mr. Mxyzptlk liked to joke around with the best of them, this wasn’t the best time for it. First of all, he was disguised as Lionel – who he doubted had much of a sense of humor at all unless it involved laughing at other people’s failures; and second, he didn’t have a chance of getting his plan to work as long as Su- Clark Kent and Pete Ross were there. Then, the perfect idea struck him and he inwardly smiled. He looked past them to the windows and placed a shocked look on his face.

“What in ---?”

Everyone’s heads swung around to look out the windows, where the neon dragon that had been above the restaurant’s sign had apparently come to life. Clark’s eyes grew wide at the sight of the now very real neon-green colored dragon that was breathing fire onto some of the surrounding establishments. He and Pete exchanged a look that everyone else missed because they were looking out the windows too.

“Looks like your little friend is at it again,” Pete whispered.

‘There. Let’s see you deal with that without exposing your powers,’ Mr. Mxyzptlk thought.

Clark frowned. How was he supposed to stop a dragon? And he knew it had to be up to him, because nobody else in town would be able to do it. He had to get out of there. Clark turned around to face Chloe, who was still looking at the neon colored dragon in awe.

“I – uh – gotta go,” he said quickly. He and Pete had run out of the building before his words sank into Chloe’s head. She opened her mouth to speak and then closed it again, pushing herself away from the table.

“I can’t believe he’s trying to scoop me! That ---”

Lucas tugged on her arm to bring her back down to a sitting position and she glared at him.

“What are you doing?” she asked in frustration. “I need to get out there! I need to ---”

“Why? It’s not like there’s anything you can do about it,” Lucas pointed out. “And some things are more important than a story – you know, like *staying alive*?”

Chloe clenched her hands into fists and pursed her lips. There was no way she was going to let Lex’s scamp of a brother stand in between her and what could possibly be the biggest story she would ever have. She turned her body around in the chair and looked pleadingly at her father. Gabe shook his head and held his hands up.

“Oh, no. I’m with Lucas on this one. I don’t even know what possessed Clark and Pete to run out of here like that. You could get hurt,” he said.

“But --- *dragon*,” she emphasized. “Come on, Dad. Stories like this don’t just come along every day! Well, okay, they kind of do here in Smallville - but that’s not the point.”

“Chl-oe,” her dad strung out her name warningly and Lucas smugly grinned.

“Yeah, Chloe. It’s not like there won’t be other stories,” he said. “Who knows? In a few years, one of your meteor freaks might learn to fly or something.” Chloe tilted her head at him and shot him a scathing look, which only seemed to spur on his teasing. “Besides, the dragon will probably get sick after eating the princess anyway and then you can get pictures of its dead body.”

“The princess?” Mr. Mxyzptlk asked in a somewhat amused tone.

“Lana,” Lucas said. “She works over at the Talon and every guy in town seems to be into her for some unexplainable reason.”

“Lucas, what makes you think the dragon is going to go after Lana?” Chloe asked hesitantly. Lucas shrugged.

“Just wishful thinking,” he said. The corners of his lips curled upward in a small grin. “*And* it was headed in that direction.”

Chloe’s head whipped around to look at her dad with a panicked expression. Gabe frowned and sighed, but after a moment he nodded.

“Just be careful,” he told her. Chloe practically jumped out of her chair and both Lucas and Mr. Mxyzptlk gave him puzzled looks.

“You’re letting her go?” Mr. Mxyzptlk asked with surprise.

“Like I had a choice?” Gabe retorted.

“You certainly did. You could have kept her here,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said. Gabe shook his head and gave him a weary look.

“You don’t know my daughter. Once she gets her mind set on something – and especially if one of her friends is involved – there’s almost no way to stop her. I’m sure that Lex can back me up on that.” Gabe looked over to where Lex had been sitting, only to find him gone. “Where’d he go?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk made a sound of displeasure for show and then pushed himself away from the table.

“If you’ll pardon me, I have a phone call to make,” he said.

Gabe looked over questioningly at Lucas after Mr. Mxyzptlk left the table.

“Is your family always like this?” he asked in a joking tone. Lucas chuckled.

“Is yours?”

~*~*~*~*~

“Chloe, wait!” Lex grabbed her arm as she was running toward the Talon through the light cloud of smoke forming from the building that the dragon had already attacked.

“Lex!” she said in surprise, quickly turning her head back around to see the dragon picking people off the street and flinging them around haphazardly. “Let go! I have to ---”

“You have to what? As much as I hate to admit this, Lucas was right. There’s nothing you can do and you’re going to get yourself hurt.”

“But ---” her statement trailed off into a high-pitched scream as the dragon flung Clark toward them and his body slammed against the sidewalk. The cement cracked and a large hole was formed from the impact. “Clark?” She kneeled beside him, but he seemed to be knocked out cold. “Oh, God.” She looked up at Lex and chewed on her bottom lip before speaking again. “Give me your jacket.”

“Excuse me?”

“Give me your jacket,” she repeated with a little more authority in her voice. “I have to keep him from breathing in the smoke and it’s your jacket or my shirt – so take it off.” Lex stood there for a second without moving, too stunned from the mental image that her words had created. “Luthor!” He shook his head lightly to snap the image out of his mind.

“Right. Sorry,” he said, shrugging the jacket off his shoulders and handing it to her. Just as she was about to shield Clark’s face with it, Clark started coughing and his eyes fluttered open.

“Clark!” she yelled in relief and threw her arms around him. Lex tried to hold back the surge of jealousy he felt over seeing her in Clark’s arms, but was unsuccessful. He put his hand on her shoulder and pulled back slightly, urging her to stand up.

“Give him some room,” Lex said as calmly as he could. Chloe gave Clark an embarrassed smile and pushed herself off of him.

“Are you okay?”

“I – I don’t know,” Clark answered, rubbing the back of his head. “I --- you!” Chloe and Lex looked down at him in worry, but he was looking past them to the floating imp in back of Chloe. Chloe and Lex turned around to follow his angry stare and their eyes widened.

“Ah, ah, ah,” Mr. Mxyzptlk scolded, waving his finger in the air as Lex stepped toward him. “One more step and I feed the dragon.” Chloe furrowed her brow until the red-haired baby from her previous experience appeared in Mr. Mxyzptlk’s arms. He smirked and held the baby out in the direction of the dragon. “He-re, dragon, dragon, dragon.”

“Lena!”

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 3
    ~*~*~*~

Chloe and Lex’s heads whipped around to face each other when they both called out Lena’s name.

“Y-you ---?” Chloe asked with wide eyes.

“--- Remember?” Lex finished for her. They both stared at each other in shock Mr. Mxyzptlk’s voice snapped them back to reality.

“Well, it’s about time!” he exclaimed. Chloe frowned. The floating imp still had their daughter in his outstretched arms, but now he was facing them instead of the dragon.

“Just – give her to me,” Chloe said, holding her arms out and stepping closer to him.

“Mama!” Lena squealed and tried to lean toward her.

Clark’s eyes grew wide when the baby girl called Chloe ‘mama’. His conversation with Lex and Mr. Mxyzptlk from the previous week went flashing through his mind.

‘I made them believe that they were married…’

Clark paled. Obviously the little girl had been part of the illusion, and the scary thing was that she did look like both of them. Clark pushed himself up off the ground and stared at Mr. Mxyzptlk as he made his way over to Chloe. He laid his hand on her shoulder and leaned down to speak into her ear.

“Just remember – she’s not really yours. We need to keep her safe so she can be returned to her real family,” he said. Clark’s words made Chloe feel physically ill. Of course the baby wasn’t really hers, just like she wasn’t really married to Lex. What had she been thinking?

“I ---” she trailed off when she felt her eyes filling with tears.

“Actually, they *are* her real family,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said, feeling a little bad about making Chloe cry. “Or, they would be if she existed.” He blinked his eyes and Lena disappeared. Lex growled.

“What did you do?”

Mr. Mxyzptlk sloughed off his threatening tone with a wave of his hand.

“She’s *not* real, she *doesn’t* exist,” he tried to explain. A small smirk played at the corners of his mouth. “At least, not in this time frame.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Clark asked. Mr. Mxyzptlk’s smirk grew with what he conceived to be jealousy coming from Clark.

“Lena is the baby that Chloe and Lex would have if they ever got together,” he answered. Clark shook his head.

“That’s never going to happen,” he argued. Mr. Mxyzptlk laughed at Clark’s insistence.

“It happened once,” he said. Clark furrowed his brow and looked back and forth between his friends. Mr. Mxyzptlk took Clark’s distraction as the opportunity to disappear.

“What does he mean?” Clark asked hesitantly. Chloe bit her lower lip nervously and looked at Lex, who unfortunately wasn’t going to be much of a help at all. She saw the look in his eyes and took a few steps back as he started walking toward her. He quickly closed the space between them and gripped onto her hips with his hands, pulling her toward him. He brought his mouth down to hers and Chloe’s eyes grew wide.

‘We aren’t married, we aren’t married, we aren’t --- mmm,’ her line of thinking trailed off and her body began to give into his persuasion. Her eyes fluttered closed and Chloe’s hands ran up his chest and rested on his shoulders as she opened her mouth to him.

Clark stood there, gawking at the fact that two of his best friends were engaged in a rather heated kiss.

“Guys?” he asked, trying to alert them to what they were doing. ‘Well, they’re obviously not doing this on their own,’ he thought and then past them, only to find that Mr. Mxyzptlk had disappeared. He ran a worried hand through his hair. He had to stop them, but he had a bad feeling that he wouldn’t be able to do so without exposing his powers.

“He-lp!” he heard a woman scream from down the street. And not just any woman, but Lana. His head turned around quickly to see Lana squirming in the dragon’s jaw. “Help me! Somebody! Please!” Then he heard Pete’s voice with his super hearing.

“Just hold on, Lana. I’ll go get help,” he said. Clark’s stomach fell, knowing that he would be the one that Pete turned to when he said he was going to get help. But if Pete came over there and saw Chloe and Lex making out, then heads would roll. Clark took a deep breath and used his super speed to rush over to Pete, Lana, and the dragon. “Good thing you’re here, man. The thing went right for her.” Clark gave him a nervous look.

“I don’t know if I can stop it without – you know,” Clark said quietly. Pete shook his head at him.

“Hey, I’m all for the keeping your secret thing, but that’s your dream girl up there. You’ve gotta set some priorities,” he said. Clark nodded.

He focused his eyes on the dragon’s heart and used his heat vision to burn at the skin. The dragon let out a roar and dropped Lana into Clark’s arms. She stared up at him and then rested her head against him.

“Clark – oh, thank God,” she breathed.

The dragon snarled down at them and pulled back his head to blow fire at them. Lana screamed and buried her head against Clark’s chest. Clark turned around so he would take the full brunt of the fire, but no fire ever came. Mr. Mxyzptlk, pleased that Clark had exposed himself by using his heat vision, snapped his fingers and the dragon disappeared. Clark turned around, Lana still in his arms, and a look of relief spread over her face. Lana looked up at him questioningly.

“Clark? What’s going on?”

Clark frowned. He really had no way of answering that.

“You know that genie?”

“Ye-ah?” she answered.

“Well, I think he has it in for me,” he said. Lana’s nose wrinkled in confusion.

“Why?”

“I’m not sure,” Clark admitted. Lana frowned, but nodded.

“Clark?”

“Yeah?”

“I think you can put me down now.”

“Oh, right,” Clark said, a red hue spreading to his cheeks. He placed her feet on the ground. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she said with mild amusement. She glanced around the surrounding area. All of the buildings that had been on fire were now completely repaired as if nothing had happened. Lana shook her head. “I don’t get it. I mean ---” she trailed off, tilting her head to the side as she looked in the direction that Clark had come from earlier. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth dropped open. “Is that ---” Clark and Pete both turned to see what her stare was fixed on. Clark winced when he saw that Lex had Chloe pushed up against the wall of the building and her legs were wrapped around his waist. Pete chuckled, but only because he didn’t immediately recognize the couple.

“Well, you know what they say about intense situations,” he said and waggled his eyebrows.

“Um, maybe we should go into the Talon – make sure everything’s okay,” Clark said, trying to usher his two friends into the building so Pete wouldn’t flip out when he realized who the couple was. Pete took one last look over his shoulder and his smile fell into a gasp.

“Son of ---”

“Pete,” Clark interrupted, pushing on his friend’s back to urge him to go inside the Talon. Pete pushed his way past Clark and Lana and Clark ran a hand over his face. Lana tugged at his arm.

“Come on. We need to get over there before Pete kills them both,” she said. Clark nodded and the two ran after Pete.

At that exact moment, Lucas was on his way out of the restaurant. He had gotten sick of waiting around for his dad to come back from the phone and Gabe said it was fine to leave him behind to eat alone. His eyes focused on Lex and Chloe. Chloe had her back up against the wall of the building and her legs wrapped around Lex’s waist. Both of their eyes were closed and Lex was thrusting into her, eliciting a series of loud moans and grunts from both of them. Lucas narrowed his eyes.

“Oh, hell no!”

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 4
    ~*~*~*~

Chloe moaned loudly with every thrust Lex delivered. He felt so good, so right inside her, that she wondered how she could have kept her crush on Clark Kent for so long when it was obvious that Lex was the man she was supposed to be with. The thought scared her a little, especially since they weren’t technically together, but she pushed it away and concentrated on the sensations coursing through her body. She was so close – her hands gripped Lex’s shoulder’s tighter as she slammed herself against his thrusts. Chloe felt her stomach quiver and her vision became blotchy as she felt the full-on impact of her orgasm sweep over her.

Lex let out an almost whimpered grunt when he felt Chloe’s inner walls close around him and her juices coated his cock. He pounded himself into her a few more times and let out a strangled cry of her name when he finally climaxed. Weak from their lovemaking, they practically collapsed against the wall he had her pushed up against. Chloe slowly rose up a little and then lowered herself down to the ground with Lex’s assistance. He barely got the zipper on his slacks up when he felt a firm fist slug him in the stomach.

He was leaning forward, grabbing his stomach from the pain, when another fist from the other direction smacked his jaw hard. Chloe screamed. Pete seemed to have come out of nowhere and just attacked Lex for no reason; and then Lucas, also suddenly appearing on the scene, punched his brother’s face.

“Stop it!” Chloe screamed, trying to get the two boys away from Lex. Clark and Lana arrived and Lana tugged at Chloe’s arm to get her away from the brawl that had ensued. Chloe shot the other girl a glare, but Lana was persistent.

“Let Clark handle it,” Lana pleaded, “he’s stronger.”

“Ya think?” Chloe asked sarcastically out of frustration. She immediately gave Lana an apologetic look. “Sorry,” she said and ran a hand through her hair as she watched Clark grab Pete and Lucas and tear them away from Lex. Lex had started fighting back after the second blow, but he was already injured and it was two against one, so he hadn’t been fairing well. Clark kept a firm grip on the collars of both Pete and Lucas’s shirts as they struggled to get back to attacking Lex.

“What are you doing, Clark?!” Pete growled angrily. “Didn’t you see what he was doing to her?!”

“Yeah! Come on, Smallville, let up!” Lucas chimed in.

Clark gave them both a warning look.

“You guys don’t understand,” he said. Lex spat out some blood and looked thankfully, but with a modicum of surprise, at Clark. He knew Clark was strong from growing up on a farm, but here he was restraining two other young men, with what appeared to be very little effort on his part.

“Well, how about you explain it to me then, Clark,” Pete said, almost spitting out his best friend’s name. “Because the way I see it, he deserves to die for what he just did to her.”

“Agreed,” Lucas said with a dangerous glint in his eye.

“Guys,” Clark said pleadingly. They were still struggling against him and Clark looked over to Lex, silently asking him to explain the situation so he wouldn’t have to. Lex nodded once, but didn’t step any closer to them. He gave Chloe a small lopsided grin and Chloe frowned because he had almost been beaten to a pulp because of her. Lex coughed and stared at Pete and his brother through his one good eye and the eye that was already swelling shut.

“We were married,” Lex said in a raspy voice, his throat lined with the coppery taste of his own blood. Pete scoffed.

“Hel-lo,” Pete said, sounding much like a valley girl from one of the teen movies that were so popular in the 1990s. “You and Chloe were never married. You’re delusional – and even *that* doesn’t give you the excuse to do what you did to her.”

“I made love to my *wife*, Mr. Ross,” Lex said through gritted teeth. Granted, in retrospect, I should have chosen a less public environment to express my feelings for her, but ---”

“Oh, man! You really are a nut-job!” Lucas exclaimed. “Chloe has never been married. She’s too young to have ever been married. And even if, by some fluke, she had - it would *never* be to you.” Lex closed his eyes and winced at the pain that shot through the one that one of the boys in front of him had hit. Lucas shook his head lightly and let out a sour chuckle. “You are *so* going down for this.”

“Stop it!” Chloe yelled angrily, storming around where Clark held the two boys back so she could get to Lex. She looked directly at Pete and he winced a little when he saw the look in her eyes. “For your information, Pete, Lex and I *were* married. That little floating imp guy transported us to the future or something,” she said.

Clark tilted his head a little to the side and was about to correct her by saying that Mr. Mxyzptlk only made them *think* they were married, but he thought better of it; knowing that once Chloe got on a roll, it was better to stay out of her way.

“And you,” she continued as she turned her attention on Lucas, “what part of ‘I’m not interested and never will be’ did you not understand exactly?” Lex would have smirked if his lower lip hadn’t started to swell to five times its normal size.

“Chlo-e ---” Pete and Lucas said at the same time, stringing out her name and making them sound pathetically whiney. She shook her head and held up her hand.

“I don’t wanna hear it,” she said decisively. She turned around and took in Lex’s appearance with a frown, stepping toward him at the same time. “Are you okay?” she asked quietly. He nuzzled his face into her hair as she came closer and she wrapped one of his arms around her shoulders. She gave Pete and Lucas a sad, yet warning look before she started to walk with Lex toward his car.

Clark kept his hold on Pete and Lucas, who had stopped trying to fight against him the moment that Chloe started to lay into them about their behavior. Lana watched Chloe get Lex into the passenger seat of his car and then slide into the driver’s seat herself. She only nodded at Clark when the car was safely out of eyesight.

“They’re gone,” she said softly. Clark let go of the two boys and Lucas turned around to face him angrily while Pete knew better and just started to roll his head in circles to stretch out the muscles in his neck. Lucas gave Clark a look that any other person would have found incredibly intimidating, but Clark just stood there with the knowledge that there was nothing Lucas could do to hurt him. Lucas took a swing at him and Clark blocked it. Lucas looked at him in surprise, but only for a second before lashing out again.

This time he went for Clark’s gut and pulled his hand back when it felt a splintering pain radiate up his arm. Lucas’s eyes grew wide and he took a few steps back.

“W-what are you?” he asked. Clark and Pete shared a look and Lana looked at Clark with confusion marring her features.

“What is he talking about, Clark?” she asked. Her eyes narrowed as she looked at him sideways. “Does this have something to do with the twister?”

“Uh ---”

Pete let out a nervous chuckle and shrugged his shoulders as if Lana was speaking nothing but crazy talk.

“No,” he said almost indignantly. “Luthor is just a wuss.”

“He broke my arm!” Lucas exclaimed, cradling his wounded arm with his other hand.

“Clark,” Lana said hesitantly, but then shut her mouth when she realized that if Clark’s secret was so big that he hadn’t told her, then he certainly wasn’t going to tell her in front of Lucas. She gave Lucas a forced grin and walked over to him.

“Come on,” she said, placing a hand on his good upper arm. “Let’s get you to the Talon and I’ll call an ambulance.”

“Yeah, thanks,” Lucas grumbled. Lana looked over her shoulder one last time, shooting Clark a look she hoped would be construed as hopeful rather than saddened.

Clark frowned and Pete took a few steps closer to him as they watched Lucas and Lana walk further down the street toward the coffee shop.

“You’re gonna have to tell her, man,” Pete said, keeping his gaze focused straight ahead. Clark shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans and let out a sigh.

“I know.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

“It’s a sports car, Chloe,” Lex said, his head rested back against the seat and his eyes closed. “You can drive it faster than this.” Chloe scoffed.

“How do you know how fast I’m driving? You’ve had your eyes closed the entire way.”

“I’m used to the feel of the car,” he explained with a shrug. Chloe let out a tiny sigh.

“Okay, I’m going a *little* slower than I normally would, but I don’t want to get in an accident and you’re already hurt ---”

“Actually, I’m starting to feel a little better,” he said, cutting off whatever else she had been about to say.

“Really?” she asked with surprise. They pulled up to a stop sign and she finally allowed herself to look over at him. Her eyes grew wide and her mouth dropped open a little.

“What?”

Chloe couldn’t seem to come up with the words to describe the sight in front of her.

“Chloe, I can *feel* you staring at me. So, will you just tell me ---?” He trailed off when he felt her fingertips brush against the skin of his cheek. He opened his eyes and caught her hand before she could pull it away. Lex gave her a small grin and brought her hand to his mouth, where he gave it a light kiss. He immediately noticed that he could feel his lips again – not to mention see completely out of both eyes.

“You – you’re ---” Chloe shook her head in disbelief and reached up to adjust the rearview mirror with her other hand. Lex looked at the image in the mirror and was shocked to see that he had almost completely healed. There was still some bruising and a couple of cuts, but all of the swelling had gone down and it seemed to be getting better every minute. “Lex?”

Lex’s turned his eyes upon Chloe. She looked apprehensive and even a little frightened.

“What’s going on?”

~*~*~*~
    Ch. 5
    ~*~*~*~

Mr. Mxyzptlk watched on invisibly, a wide smile of accomplishment gracing his lips. The ambulance had picked up Lucas and Clark was now faced with the dilemma of whether or not to tell Lana his ‘big secret’. Mr. Mxyzptlk almost started laughing when he pictured the conversation in his mind.

“What is it? What have you been keeping from me?” <pouty expression>

“Well, Lana, the thing is – you remember that meteor shower?”

“Of course I remember the meteor shower, Clark. It killed my parents&#33;”

“Oh. Yeah. Right. Well, see, here’s the thing ---” <guilty look>

“What is it, Clark? Don’t you trust me?”

“Of course I do&#33; How can you even ask that?”

“How can I even ask that?? Clark ---”

“I came down with the meteors&#33;” <blurts it out>

“What? What are you telling me?”

“I’m not human, Lana.”

“Oh, my God&#33;” <horrified look>

Mr. Mxyzptlk let out a tiny gurgle of laughter. At first he was delighted that nobody seemed to notice, but then he was a little put out. He liked to be the center of attention and right now *nobody* was paying attention to him. He crossed his arms and pushed out his bottom lip somewhat poutingly.

‘Stupid Superman and his stupid friends,’ he thought. His attention was drawn back to the scene when he heard Lana’s office door close.

“Okay, explain,” Lana said; folding her arms across her chest and giving Clark the most threatening look she could muster. “Lucas punched you and yet *he’s* the one who got hurt – so you can’t blame this one on adrenalin.”

“I wasn’t going to,” Clark said.

“Uh-huh,” Lana said disbelievingly. Clark took a deep breath and then sighed it out.

“Maybe you should sit down,” he said. Lana eyed him warily, but did as she was instructed.

Mr. Mxyzptlk couldn’t help but notice that Clark looked incredibly nervous and he wondered for a moment if he was actually going to tell Lana the truth. Clark opened his mouth to speak, but Lana cut him off.

“Clark?”

“Yeah?”

“If it helps, I think already know,” she said. Clark and Mr. Mxyzptlk both registered shock on their faces.

“What?” Clark practically gasped out.

“The way you can disappear in an instant, the way you never seem to get hurt…you were affected by the meteor rocks, right?”

“I – uh ---”

“It’s okay, Clark. I understand why you didn’t want to tell me. With all of the people who have tried to attack me, I can see why you wouldn’t want me to think that you were some meteor freak who was just going to try and hurt me,” she said.

“Well ---”

“And don’t worry,” she continued, “Chloe is my friend, but I would never tell her your secret.” She gave him a bemused smile and shook her head just a little bit. “Although, I’m a little surprised that she hasn’t figured it out yet.” Clark just grinned nervously at her.

“So-ooo, you’re okay with --- me?”

Lana nodded and smiled gently as she stepped closer to give him a hug.

“I’m just glad you finally told me,” she said. Clark’s arms wrapped hesitantly around her small frame.

“Yeah,” he said with a worried look he was glad she couldn’t see. “Me too.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk grumbled. She thought he was just some mutant? But she still accepted him? It wasn’t anything like how he had planned it.

‘Oh, well,’ he thought. ‘At least Chloe doesn’t know that he’s an alien yet – and she’s the one he likes more than a friend.’ The impish grin returned to his lips. ‘Maybe I should check up on her.’

He popped himself over to where Chloe and Lex were now sitting in his car, parked by the side of the road. The grin spread into a full blown, self-appreciative smile. Mr. Mxyzptlk started dancing invisibly in the air.

‘She’s in love with the bad guy, she’s in love with the bad guy,’ he sang in his head. “And they couldn’t even wait to get to his house, they’re just in the car – they’re as lusty as a Nebari who hasn&#39;t been mind-cleansed.”

Chloe’s attention was snapped away from the sight of Lex’s miraculous healing when she heard someone’s voice come from outside the car. She looked around as much as she could without getting out of the car, but she didn’t see anyone.

“Tell me you heard that,” Chloe said. Lex nodded and was looking around as well.

“I heard it,” he confirmed. “It sounded like ---”

“You think he healed you?”

“I don’t know why he would.”

“How else would you explain it?”

“Good point,” Lex said. As if they reached an understanding, both of them reached for their door handles and climbed out of the car. Chloe placed her hands on her hips as she looked around.

“We know you’re here&#33;” she yelled accusingly.

“We just want to talk to you&#33;” Lex added.

Mr. Mxyzptlk’s eyebrows rose. These two had heard him and acknowledged him even when Clark and Lana hadn’t? That was certainly worth a reward of some kind… He popped into view right behind Chloe.

“Heya cutie&#33;” he greeted. Chloe screamed in surprise and jumped away from the noise, but quickly turned around to face him. She clasped her hand to her heart and tried to get her breathing under control again.

“Don’t do that&#33; You scared me&#33;” She stopped for a second before speaking again. “Well, you know, more than usual.”

Mr. Mxyzptlk shrugged unapologetically and Lex crossed over to the other side of the car to stand next to Chloe.

“So, why’d ya wanna see me?”

“Why did you heal me?” Lex asked.

“You healed him,” Chloe said, motioning with her hands to show that there were no more wounds on Lex’s body. “Pete and Lucas beat him up – and you healed him.”

“No, I didn’t,” Mr. Mxyzptlk said. “Why would I do that?”

Lex and Chloe shared a look and then their eyes went back to Mr. Mxyzptlk again.

“If you didn’t do it, then who did?”

TBC

*pounces on you* Yay&#33; You put them up here&#33; *dances the dance of not having to deal with ff.net anymore because it HATES ME* You rock. :biggrin:

pynr
    Just a Guest!
    Yeah....these are good ones :hehe: Glad to see &#39;em here.

ScifiChick - I seem to remember people at ff.net asking for pronunciation help w/ Mr. M&#39;s name.......I think I recall you adding a phonetic spelling for it in one of the chapter intros....or somewhere anyway - If this memory is incorrect, do you think you could add one here? I swear.....I re-forget how to say it 5 minutes after learning to do so, every single time I see him.... :unsure:

Thx in advance&#33;&#33; :yay:

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Hee hee. Yeah, no problem.

Phonetically pronounced: Mit-sell-plik

At least, that&#39;s what it says in my husband&#39;s Superman encyclopedia (and yes, he actually has one).

pynr
    Just a Guest!
    Ah hah&#33; Great) :idea: Thanks again :wave:

NS Full Member
    ooooooooooh thanks for posting it here&#33;&#33; i love this fic, and i can finally review it&#33;&#33;

: Sway

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information