NS Member

Re: The Christmas Trap (PG-15) CH2 Nov 29th, 2010

Great story

NS Full Member

cant wait to see what you have in store for lex and chloe

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Finally managed to catch up. Enjoying all the unexpected developments. It really is getting complicated for them, isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing how things pan out and how Chloe's going to react to everything!

Thanks for all the quickly posted chapters!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

A/N: Thank you all for your encouraging reviews.

By the way, I've also updated "Choices" so make sure you don't miss the new chapter.

Last but not least, I want to thank those of you who voted for my ficlet "Exposed" and helped me win the fanfic challenge yet again. If you haven't read it yet, I hope you'll enjoy it.

CHAPTER 9: Competition

SMALLVILLE- THE APARTMENT ABOVE THE TALON

The following morning and afternoon Lex tried to catch up on his work load and finished his labour day with the conference call to Japan which he’d put off twice. It’d been an exhausting day, but he’d managed to agree on the terms for the merger and a date to have all the legal papers ready. Hopefully, the deal would be signed and sealed in time to uncork the champagne on New Year’s Eve.

It was six o’clock in the evening when he unlocked the door of the flat to find a very domestic Chloe still in her pyjamas and sitting in front of a brand-new purple laptop.

“Good morning,” he cocked an eyebrow, shutting the door firmly behind him.

“Hi!” she greeted him excitedly.

“Good news?” he asked, passing her the decaffeinated drink.

“A FedEx messenger came an hour ago. At first I thought he had the wrong name, but the package came with a card. Here,” she told him, giving him a lavender envelope.

“It seems congratulations are in order,” he said, reading the card and putting it back in the envelope. “And you got a welcome present too.”

“Yes. Isn’t it wonderful? Mine was already on two legs.”

“Yes, it certainly is.”

“You don’t seem too pleased. I thought you’d be happy for me,” she frowned.

“And I am.”

“But?”

“There’s no but, Chloe. I’m sorry if I didn’t sound enthusiastic at first, I’ve just come from holding an exhausting three-hour conference call in Japanese to close a deal, and I’ve developed a mild headache, that’s all. I think they couldn’t have chosen a better junior editor.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“I’m not given to bestowing unwarranted compliments. You’ve got an impressive résumé which speaks for itself. I imagine you’ll have to start looking for a place to live in Metropolis once the holiday season is over. I’ll be more than happy to introduce you to a couple of trustworthy realtors or to stand guarantor for you.”

“That’s very generous of you, but I’m not moving to the city. They’ve offered me to work flextime for the first six months. That will allow me to arrange my schedule depending on Timmy’s needs and I won’t need to worry about baby-sitting because there’s a daycare centre on the premises.”

“And what will happen if they need you to replace the senior editor on occasion? Living in Metropolis would...”

“I’ve got my own reasons to stay here,” he cut him off visibly upset.

“I’m sorry. It wasn’t my intention to come across as nosy. I simply want the best for you and Timmy. “

“I appreciate your good intentions, Joseph, and you’ve done more for us than you can ever imagine, but there are things I’m just not ready to share... Believe me when I tell you I know moving to the city would be great in the grand scheme of things, especially when the time comes for Timmy to go to school because I want him to get the best education I can afford. However, there’s a strong and very valid reason for our staying in Smallville...”

“You’re entitled to your privacy. I’d be a hypocrite to ask something of you which I myself have always had to fight to protect.”

“Thanks for understanding,” she smiled softly. “Who could that be?” she frowned when there was a loud, insistent knock on the door.

“Santa Claus again? Maybe he forgot to add a broadband subscription to go with the laptop,” he replied with an ironic tilt in his voice. He should have thought of the laptop first or at least prompted Julian in the right direction, he mused, opening the front door.

“Ho ho ho,” came Julian’s voice from behind an evergreen Christmas tree. “Merry Christmas, everyone,” he shoved his way inside the open-plan apartment.

“Julian!” exclaimed Chloe in delight, coming forward to give him a hand.”I’m sorry I haven’t got changed yet.”

”No problem. We can have a night in if you prefer. I’ve got a few boxes in the back of the car, Joe. Would you mind fetching them?”

Lex clenched his teeth and glared at his baby brother. He still had to make the Devil’s apprentice pay for passing him as gay. And now the boy expected him to haul boxes for him? Over his dead body.

“Oh, Jules, you shouldn’t have!” she told the youngest Luthor as he put the tree upright.

“It was a spur-of-the-moment decision. You know that Dad isn’t into baubles and tinsel and that the Holiday Season is just an inconvenient hiatus in his devious plans of world domination,” he chuckled. “I remembered all those boxes of ornaments which have been gathering dust since I was born and... thought Timmy would love the lights. It’s his first Christmas; it should be a special one.”

Lex opened the back door of the Mercedes and grabbed the red cardboard boxes from the seat. Even though he hadn’t seen them in twenty years he remembered every ornament as if it’d been yesterday that he helped Lillian decorate the tree for the last time.

He piled the boxes up in his arms and slammed the door shut, trying to do the same with the painful memories that Julian had brought back in the living-room of Chloe’s apartment. He was sure it hadn’t been Jules’ intention to rub salt into his still raw wound. No, Lex had interpreted the boy’s wish to give Timmy what he had been denied in his childhood, the bittersweet memories of Christmas with their mother which Lex still treasured. Yes, Lionel’s first born understood what had driven his baby brother and, in spite of his resolution not to climb down the stairs to play his lackey, the small room had suddenly become suffocating and emotions too overwhelming. He’d simply had to escape.

Chloe and Julian were laughing and struggling to keep the tree in an upright position in the corner she’d chosen to set it up when Lex entered the apartment carrying the ornaments, and his scowl became suddenly more pronounced.

“Hey, did you see that? He giggled!” exclaimed the youngest Luthor, looking at Timmy in the playpen. “How about giving me a hug, big boy?” he added, holding out his arms.

“He doesn’t seem to like you very much, Jules,” said Lex smugly as Timmy started to howl.

“Come here, sweetie,” cooed Chloe, picking the baby up.

“So... what was this great news you were about to share?” asked Julian, leaning against her desk and grabbing the small lavender envelope she had left next to her mug.

“I got the job at The Planet,” she smiled.

“You did?” he replied, slipping the card out of the envelope. “And it seems you’ve made a great impression on your new boss too.”

“Give me that,” she snatched the card away. “Don’t you know about a thing called privacy, Jules?”

“It was lying around,” he shrugged. “A laptop with all the bells and whistles and a job at The Planet,” he added, shooting his eldest brother a meaningful glance.”My tree and antique ornaments look like nothing in comparison.”

“Nonsense! Your gift’s from the heart, and that matters more to me than the most expensive present in the world.”

Lex felt like howling.

“It is nice, isn’t it? I’ve cut it down myself,” he told her proudly and Lex rolled his eyes.”Now I’m glad I bought Chinese food to bring over. There’s lots to celebrate. Why don’t you give me a hand with the bags, Joseph?”

“I’ll get a bottle of wine,” said Chloe as Julian opened the door and nudged his brother out. “What’s wrong with you?” he asked Lex once they were in the street.

“Nothing.”

“Don’t give me that, bro. I know you. What is it? For a moment there I thought you were about to pull my head off. Was it the tree? You know, nothing’s stopping you. Why not tell her the truth? That you can buy a newspaper with the change that you carry in your pockets?”

“You know I can’t tell her the truth. Your harebrained plan would go to hell; she would throw her new job in my face, kick me out and roast us both on an open fire.”

“Is that the real reason? Or is it that you’re falling for her, Lex? Am I going to have to compete with my brother to get her?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. He’s not my type. You should be more worried about Lucas. “

“I wouldn’t worry so much about him.”

“You should learn never to show him your back, Jules. He’s a lot more like Dad than you think.”

“Is he the reason you’re so surly?”

“I’m not surly. Answer that phone, Jules. That ringtone is a serious threat to my sensitive auditory system,” he retorted.

“I’m afraid I haven’t got any sake. Do you take red or white wine with the Kung Pao Chicken?” asked Chloe when Lex came in with the bags of takeaway.

“Red if you have it,” said Lex, setting the bags down on the work top.

“Hey, guys! I’m sorry but I have to leave,” apologised Julian breathless.

“You aren’t staying for dinner?” asked Chloe with the disposable napkins in her hands.

“I’m afraid not. Something that requires my attention has turned up.”

“Nothing serious I hope,” she told him with a questioning tilt in her voice.

“No, no. Nothing to worry about, but still something important to me.”

“That’s a shame. That you can’t stay I mean,” she said disappointed.

“Enjoy the Chinese. I’ll take you out soon to celebrate, Chloe. I promise.”

“I’d love that, Jules.”

“Set a dumpling aside for me, will you? Maybe we can put the tree up tomorrow and see Timmy’s reaction to it. Well... I’d better leave now,” he smiled, waving goodnight to both males in the room as she grabbed the keys.

Chloe saw him off, locked the entrance of the coffee shop and climbed up the stairs once again.

Joseph seemed to be in deep contemplation in front of the window. He’d been really quiet ever since Jules’ arrival. She couldn’t pinpoint what might be going on with him, but she was somewhat worried that the whole Holiday Spirit had put him in a melancholy mood since he would be away from Metropolis.

“Is everything OK?” she asked quietly after observing his back for a long moment.

“Yes, of course,” he reassured her, turning around and slipping his hands into his pockets.

“It’s a nice tree, isn’t it?” she asked, walking towards it.

Yes, it was nice; but he could do better than that. What he’d do was petty and underhanded and yet he couldn’t help himself.

“I’m afraid Jules got carried away by his enthusiasm. Thaumetopoea pityocampa,” he said with a poker face, walking around the tree.

“Pardon? Latin has never been my forte.”

“Better known as the pine processionary caterpillar. It can remain in the chrysalis stage for several years if environmental conditions are unfavourable. As a result, moths from several generations can emerge simultaneously when favourable conditions occur, causing severe outbreaks. Contact with dead larvae, cocoons, nests and debris from an infested pine can also cause dermatitis, eye problems and even temporary blindness. I spotted a cocoon and got rid of it. You should wash your hands carefully.”

“Ugh! Do you think we should go to the ER to make sure everything’s OK?”

“It wouldn’t hurt. Do you have any spare latex gloves I could use?”

“Yes, there’s a pair in the right drawer, next to the stove.”

“OK. I’ll carry the tree downstairs with a note for the garbage collectors to handle it with care. Why don’t you get ready in the meantime?”

It was nine o’clock when the three of them got back with a clean bill of health and the biggest and most gorgeous Christmas tree Chloe had ever set eyes on. They’d been lucky; there were just a few pines left on the Christmas tree lot they’d driven to after spending an hour at the ER.

Chloe heated the takeaway in the microwave and Joseph uncorked the wine, poured himself a glass and opened a sparkling water for her.

“Do you think Jules would mind if we decorated the tree tonight?” she asked him as he finished lighting the fire in the hearth. “I’m curious to see what’s in these boxes,” she added, opening the one at the top. “Oh, look at these! They’re exquisite. Oh, and these figurines for the manger! They’re so adorable.”

“They’re handmade. My... Lillian moulded them and Lex helped her paint them,” he told her, blowing the fireplace match and swallowing the big lump in his throat.

“That’s sweet,” she smiled, arranging the pieces on the table.”What’s this?” she frowned.

Immediately recognising what she had found in the box, Lex stood up and placing a hand on Chloe’s he murmured, “Please, don’t open it.”

“It’s addressed to Santa Claus and it’s still sealed. It looks as if it’d been written by a child. ”

“Why don’t you give it to me? I’ll make sure it gets back to its rightful owner,” the need to protect himself stronger than the wisdom of coming up with a viable explanation of why he might know what was inside when he’d never lived at the mansion.

“It isn’t Julian’s, is it?” she asked softly.”He said he’s never had a Christmas tree, so this must have been in the basement for at least twenty years.”

“Yes, I guess so,” he took the yellowish envelope and stashed it away in the inner pocket of his overcoat under Chloe’s attentive look.

“I used to write to Santa too. It was the highlight of the holiday season. My father would accompany me to the stationery store and help me pick the perfect paper to send my letter to the fat guy in the North Pole. Then we’d go to Cooper’s for a cup of hot chocolate and discuss how I’d frame my request. It was my own special moment with Dad. Then came my eighth Christmas and everything changed.

I’d been planning on asking for a typewriter- Mr Hedges, my English teacher, had encouraged me to pursue my writing- and I was looking forward to Christmas... It’d be my first adult request. It’d been a hard year for Dad... and me... one morning my Mom had simply left, so when December came I decided I would trade my typewriter for something else. I told my father I was a grown-up now and that I wanted to write the letter myself. It was the first time Santa didn’t give me what I asked for, and I stopped believing in him. I had to wait twelve years to get my wish granted and believe again,” she finished, her voice cracking at the end.

Lex looked at the young woman in front of him and wished he could muster the courage to make himself that vulnerable by sharing what was inside the envelope he’d asked her not to slit open. He didn’t want anyone’s pity, but for the first time in a very long time he felt that maybe there was someone who could understand him.

“I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was twelve,” he confessed, feeling he owed her as much for telling him something so private.

“Maybe we can help you believe again. Let’s start by decorating the tree,” she smiled, wiping away a couple of stray tears.

They worked in companiable silence for an hour until Timmy made himself heard.

Lex placed the star on top of the tree and then put the plug in the socket to see the overall effect. Chloe was already nursing the baby when he turned around. The image touched him more deeply than it’d ever had.

Chloe felt her stomach do flip flops again when she did up her shirt and surprised Joseph looking at her and Timmy with a wistful and torn expression on his face which he quickly masked.

“It’s beautiful,” she said after a while, observing him out of the corner of her eye as he sat in his corner of the sofa with a pensive air. “Do you think seeing the tree has made him look like this?” she murmured, stroking Timmy’s soft cheek after noticing the smile on the baby, who was now asleep.

“He’s happy because his mother loves him so much,” he replied warmly.

“I wish I had my digital camera to take a few pictures,” she said self-consciously. “I have to remember to ask Lois to give it back. Time goes by so quickly and he’s growing so fast. There won’t be another Christmas like this one. He’ll be able to walk next December.”

“He’s a lucky fellow to have such an incredible Mom.”

“Are you flirting with me, Mr Luthor?” she chuckled.

“Stranger things have happened,” he smirked.

“I’ll put Timmy to bed and heat some milk to fix us a cup of chocolate.”

“Have you always had these chocolate cravings?” he asked her in a voice which sounded suddenly silky to her ears.

“Only since I can’t have other things,” she quipped, getting up from the sofa.

Things were getting weirder and weirder, thought Chloe as she prepared the mugs in the kitchen.

Warm after drinking the hot beverage and lulled by the quietness in the room only interrupted by the occasional crackling of the fire in the hearth, Chloe dozed off.

“Comfortable?” asked a textured masculine voice.

Disoriented, Chloe turned her face to the left and the minute her eyes alighted on the huge evergreen tree everything came back. She’d fallen asleep... on Joseph’s lap.

“I’m sorry,” she excused herself, wondering when she’d blushed this much in her twenty-seven years.

“No damage done.”

“What’s that?” she asked, catching a glimpse of something he’d hastened to put away in a folder filled with paperwork.

“Nothing. Just a bunch of notes and doodles,” he replied, taking the file.”Chloe!” he exclaimed coldly, when she tugged at a sheet of paper that was peeking.

“Doodles, eh?” she cocked an eyebrow. “This is gorgeous, Joseph,” she added breathless, turning on a side lamp to look at the pencilled Christmas scene of her living room. “Did you draw this while I was asleep?”

“It’s nothing. Just the work of an amateur with average talent,” he answered, trying to snatch the drawing back.

“You’re too modest. Is there more in that folder?” she asked curious, kneeling on the sofa and trying to have a peek at the papers as he rearranged the contents which were skewed after her grabbing his latest sketch. “When did you make this one? Come on, Joseph! Don’t pull like that or you’ll tear it!”

“Haven’t you ever heard of a little thing called privacy, Ms Sullivan?” he glared.

Chloe admired the drawing of her nursing Timmy in the rocking chair mesmerized.

“Did you draw this by heart? I’ve never seen you with a pencil, so you must have,” she said with clear emotion in her voice. “It’s... beautiful. Did you study Art when you finished high school?”

“My father would have never allowed it,” he replied tightly, putting the folder in his suitcase and locking it.

“Why?”

“Because it wouldn’t have fit in his plans.”

“But... has he ever seen what you can do?” she frowned.

“You’re the second person who’s ever seen my amateurish attempts at being an artist. Not even Julian has had that privilege. My mother was the other one... she was the one who encouraged me to explore my artistic vein,” he smiled sadly. “My father’s an art lover. He’s got exquisite taste and a great eye for beauty; but admiring the artistry of other people’s children is quite different from having his first-born play at being a modern Da Vinci.”

“And what did he expect of his first-born?” she asked hesitantly.

“That he’d be the perfect son and heir; someone who would follow in his footstep, a son he could be proud of.”

Chloe felt the pricking of tears behind her eyelids. He looked vulnerable and wounded and in great need of a hug.

Lex raised his eyes and met her expressive emerald orbs; saw sympathy in their depths and hated himself for wishing she could feel something else.

Chloe saw the moment he veiled his eyes and put his protective armour back on. She wondered what he would do if she were to give in to her urge to kiss him. Joseph was a proud man; he’d probably misconstrue it all and interpret it as pity.

“Can I keep it?” she asked softly.

“It’s just a sketch,” he said back in control.

“I’d love to have it,” she insisted.

“If it means that much to you....”

“It does,” she told him in a quivering voice.

“OK.”

“It’s late. I’d better go to bed now. I promised to draft an article to print after Christmas and I have to start working on it on my spare moments.”

“I’ll stay up for a little while if you don’t mind. I’ll unplug the tree and turn the lights off not to bother you.”

“It’s no bother. We enjoy your company very much, Joseph. I want you to know that.”

Suddenly inarticulate Lex could only acknowledge her warm words with a nod. He couldn’t remember anyone ever telling him he was enjoyed for his company alone.

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Chloe.”

He sat brooding until the embers extinguished themselves thinking where he was and what he was doing.

She lay quietly in bed going over the events of the evening and reached a decision. She’d call Lois after breakfast and ask her for the number of that friendly columnist who worked for the financial section of The Planet. If there was buzz of a big deal between a Luthor and a Japanese firm, her new colleague had to know.

tbc
    Last edited by lexie; 20th December 2010 at 01:40. Reason: wrong word
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

i love this update it was great. i like that chloe wanted to keep the drawing and lex let her that was so sweet please upate again soon i just can't wait for more.

Fan Artist, Fanfic Lover Senior Member Esther25jm's Avatar

Great chapter, Lexie, but I feel trouble a-brewing with that last paragraph. Aw, man, hell's going to the only place that Lex & Lucas will be living after Chloe finds out the truth. Breaks my heart because we can tell how much Lex wants to tell her the truth, but the fear keeps winning. Can't wait for the next one!

I'm a loser I've missed so many updates, sorry for not reviewing sooner. I just caught up from chapter 6 to here, I'm really enjoying this story so much. I like how you've introduced Clark and Lois, we haven't seen much of them but I like the relationships you've given them with Lex and Chloe.

Everything that Lex is doing for Chloe is very sweet but she is going to be so mad when she finds out about all of it, I can't wait for the big reveal!

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Great update but the ending has me confused. What is Chloe trying to find out?
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

A letter for Santa....poor little Lex, asking for his mom to get better most likely.

I Love this story so much^^ Thank you!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information