+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12-07-13- Death Knell, R, Chapter 15- Final

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

12-07-13- Death Knell, R, Chapter 15- Final

Title: Death Knell

Rating: Let’s just say I can’t guarantee PG-13, so let’s go with a rating of R to be on the safe side.

Category: Angst

Summary: It doesn’t always end when you die. Chloe knows.

Spoilers: I judiciously take from all seasons, so, yeah, there will probably be some.

Disclaimer: Don’t own.

Prologue

As she lay on the gurney and emergency response personnel worked on her prone form, Chloe’s life passed before her eyes. Every good thing. Every bad thing. Failures. Triumphs. Weaknesses. Strengths. A lifetime in the span of a heart beat. It was a stream of consciousness that persisted in tormenting her. Chloe figured that she wouldn’t be lucid, but amazingly she was. Every yell of the paramedic, every jostle of the gurney, and rapid turn of the ambulance was registered by her laboring mind. Despite this awareness, this maddening lucidity, it all came from a distance through a haze of undefined pains that did not originate from a localized point. It was spread all over her and there was no relief.

Looking back over the life choices that got her to this particular spot, Chloe faced the fact that there were many factors in this equation. Her mind would flit on one, and as soon as it came, she would know that it wasn’t what her mind was searching for. It kept going further back. It wasn’t this particular investigation. It wasn’t Lex’s abrupt descent into the world of his father’s methodology. It wasn’t even when first knew Clark’s secret. She briefly considered that maybe it was when her mother left. Just as quickly, she discarded the thought. Her mind kept tracing it back to some arbitrary point; or maybe it wasn't arbitrary. Maybe it was just going back to the very beginning.

Then she found it. There was only one true conclusion. It was simply a part of her. There was no one determining event. The straw did break the camel’s back, but only after a million and one burdens had been placed upon it. It was a series of choices and events that cascaded to this one point. Chloe knew that even if one of those things had not occurred, she’d still be in this place… pursuing her passion and suffering the consequences.

Chloe realized that she was dying. The darkness found purchase and wouldn’t let go. She was afraid. No matter how many near death experiences she’d read about or how many close calls she’d had, she never truly believed that she would die so soon. She never thought it would happen to her because no one ever thought that. Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you may die was a precept that was present in all religions. Of course, some religions urged some form of moral fortitude in their basic motto, but the concept of live today because tomorrow wasn’t guaranteed was universal. But even though the concept permeated their lives, no one truly believed that they would not see the next day.

Her heart sped up, her breath hitched, and her body seized. She couldn’t tell if it was panic or because the end was unmistakably close. Something let loose in her and she felt her bowels release. This was dying, she knew, and dying was rarely ever a pretty thing full of nobility. The person could handle it well and be okay with their end, but the body was a whole other issue. It had its way of signaling the end and letting go. It was what Chloe was experiencing now.

Death was primal. It was the very end. The goal of life. Even as proud parents celebrate the moment of breath, in their heart they fear. They fear that their care won’t be enough that some random occurrence could come along and deny them the life of their child, either in taking their own or their child’s. It was the terror that trumped every other terror in an individual. Death had its own rhythms. Its own rituals. This was it.

Those people who write and write about their near death experience talk about the fabled white light. They talk about a vaguely welcoming feeling. They didn’t talk about this part. The part when your heart stops beating but you’re still aware. The part when you can see the veiled fear and frustration in the eyes of the people who are trying so hard to save your life. They don’t write about seeing your death reflected in the face above you working so diligently to preserve your life.

It was the haunted and mesmerized look in the eyes of the veteran paramedic that caused her panic now. This was truly the end. The machine next to her flat-lined and she couldn’t breathe. She could no longer feel the ambulance moving, nor could she hear the sirens. The lights blanked and Chloe Sullivan expended her last breath.

It was a disjointed threnody that coursed through her. A forbidding darkness in which there was awareness of that one thing. She still didn’t see the white light or the welcoming presence. The threnody continued but it was punctuated by hard jolts to her body. Chloe felt her body jerk.

With each jolt, a wave of pain passed through her and more awareness came. She had been in her car, speeding towards somewhere that would be safe. Somewhere with lots of people and lights. A place that would be too inconvenient to hurt her and where she could call for help. What she had seen and stolen was too important to not pass on to Oliver.

Her heart shuddered to a steady rhythm and Chloe was forced to wakefulness. She tried to move and found that she couldn’t. The rapid-fire jargon of doctors and paramedics rang out clear around her. From the corner of her eye, she saw the veteran paramedic that had treated her in the ambulance. An almost imperceptible sigh swept through his form.

The weird threnody that played as she was dead, because she knew she had been dead, played again. From the corner of her eye, Chloe saw a mist that seemed to coalesce. The doctors were still wheeling her and working on her body all the while shouting words that made no sense to her.

“Is this recovery? Is this what’s supposed to happen?”

Of course, those weren’t fully formed questions. They were simply vague feelings that conveyed meaning that she instinctively knew. After this, Chloe would write her own book. A book that didn’t sugar coat the experience in favor of some fluffy recitation that played into the archetypical experience.

Chloe wanted to sleep again; but the constant motion of the gurney, the brilliant lights, the poking and prodding of the doctors prevented her from finding solace in unconsciousness. She was only peripherally aware of the fact that not much time had elapsed. It felt like hours, but it wasn’t. It couldn’t be. She still saw the same doctor, but it didn’t particularly matter. Chloe felt herself drift off into true sleep.

There was a slight fear that maybe she wouldn’t wake up, but there was something different about her now. She felt something coil and writhe within and couldn’t understand what it could possibly be. Chloe just felt something inside of her. A living thing that seemed to be waiting for some kind of cue…some signal that meant it could be free. It scared her more than her death and more than the prospect of sleeping and never awakening again.

Scorch’s Challenge (post #106 in the Fanfiction Challenge #2):

Just been watching Ghost Whisperer and my mind began ticking over.

In this episode, Jamie Kennedy's character got the power to hear ghosts, but not see them.

When Chloe is working for Lionel, she has an accident. A simple and ordinary accident. No glowing green rocks and no planning by Lionel.

For two minutes, she is completely and utterly dead. She's brought back, but is in a coma for a little while and when she wakes up with the ability to see, but not hear, ghosts.

One of those ghosts is Lillian Luthor.

Must be set when Chloe is working for Lionel and must include Chloe being the one to say what really happened to Julian.
    Last edited by Avalanche; 7th December 2013 at 19:32. Reason: changed the spoilers

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Death Knell, R, 10-18-09, Prologue

It´s nice not to be proved wrong. I thought from the first few lines this was a response to Scorch´s challenge- and if Adele lives up to her word, there might be another take on it soon.

This is a nice start, Avalanche. I´m looking forward to reading what you´ve got planned next.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

An extremely interesting challenge and one hell of a beginning to a fic--more please
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Great start! I love who you describe her dying. Can't wait to read more.

Wow!! This sounds very interesting!!

Can't wait for more!!!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

I was beyond delighted to see a whole new fic from you, Ava! And this seems like a really good one too Filled with plenty of brutality and gory details. Excellent!

I really loved the uncompromising way that you depicted Chloe’s ‘near death’ experience as a truly traumatic event. Most authors would have written in some pretty lines about bright lights, celestial music and warm feelings waiting for Chloe on the ‘other side’, but YOU presented it in a much more plausible sense as cold, dark, brutal death experience. Of course it’s going to be ‘unpleasant’!!

I really liked the opening paragraphs, where the old cliché of ‘life passing before you eyes’ was repeated over here, but in a very interesting and original manner… giving the experience a very ‘Chloe-like’ twist to it. LOL! It figures that Chloe would examine the life that’s flashing before her eyes with a critical investigative gaze, looking for some particular point that summed up this event, or perhaps her whole life, in a single sentence or a single defining experience.

And I LOVED the idea that Chloe was able to accept that, all the mistakes she’s made, including the mistake that led to this death, was just an inevitable end because of her basic personality… and NOT because of one wrong step that she made. In realizing that it was her personality that shaped her life, she seemed to come to a sense of peace about herself and the life that’s passed by. It was a good death for Chloe.

A good near-death at least, LOL!

Death was primal. It was the very end. The goal of life. Even as proud parents celebrate the moment of breath, in their heart they feared. They fear that their care won’t be enough that some random occurrence could come along and deny them the life of their child; either in taking their own or their child’s. It was the terror that trumped every other terror an individual. Death had its own rhythms. Its own rituals. This was it.
    wow! I never thought it was possible to make death sound so ugly and beautiful at the same time, Ava! I think you’ve done a magnificent job in capturing the essence of ‘an end to life’. I love how you describe death as a brutal experience as well as a quiet, inevitable end. Amazing writing!

With each jolt, a wave of pain passed through her and more awareness came. She had been in her car, speeding towards somewhere that would be safe. Somewhere with lots of people and lights. A place that would be too inconvenient to hurt her and where she could call for help. What she had seen and stolen was too important to not pass on to Oliver.
    eh? So she essentially died doing some job for Oliver, huh? There are a lot of people who are going to be very angry and unhappy about that. Oliver is certainly going to be one of them… and I don’t want to imagine what Clark is going to say about Chloe endangering her life so recklessly for someone besides himself.

“Is this recovery? Is this what’s supposed to happen?” Of course, those weren’t fully formed questions. They were simply vague feelings that conveyed meaning that she instinctually knew. After this, Chloe would write her own book. A book that didn’t sugar coat the experience in favor of some fluffy recitation that played into the archetypical experience.
    The book will be a great masterpiece… and it won’t sell at ALL! People are going to want sugar-coated, sweet depictions of near-death experiences. They don’t want anything that sounds too scary to contemplate. It’s just not comfortable.

There was a slight fear that maybe she wouldn’t wake up, but there was something different about her now. She felt something coil and writhe within and couldn’t understand what it could possibly be. Chloe just felt something inside of her. A living thing that seemed to be waiting for some kind of cue…some signal that meant it could be free. It scared her more than her death and more than the prospect of sleeping and never awakening again.
    wow! Now this was a truly intriguing and maddening ending, Ava! I realize that the fanfic is designed to be posted one cliffhanger at a time, but must you continue to taunt us with cliffhangers so maddening and horrifying? It’s just cruel!!!

Please update soon!!!

The way you've written the experience of near death and the death itself is excellent. It's very real and terrifying, yet you've done it in a way that has a sense of peace to it, just like Sabrina said in her above post.

Chloe has always known that she was dangerous to herself and to have her acknowledge, without blaming others, is true to her. She has owned up to her mistakes and that's why we love her. She's never shied away from wrong-doing, never placed the blame at someone else's feet, or let anyone else take it away from her.

She knew she was going into a dangerous situation and she knew she'll take a risk if need be. She took the risk and is now paying the price, yet she wholly accepts that.

What Sabrina said about others not being too happy with Chloe's dive into danger? I think she's now going to have the strength to tell them exactly where to go and what to do when they get there! She makes her choices, not them, and if anything happens, then it was her choice.

Don't know if you get that.

I'm looking forward to so much more and can't wait until CLL gets her version on the go. One word?

Fantastic!!

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

A/N: So, as I was writing this, I realized that I misspoke in my previous post. The season this is based in is later than 4/5. It’s more like seasons 6/7. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Don’t own.

Chapter 1

Her room smelled like all other hospital rooms. Held within these walls was the despair of family members, some of their hope, sorrow, and joy. The beeping, that signified she was alive and well for someone in her condition, pushed its staccato beat into the otherwise silent room. It was stark and jarring, but it meant that she was alive. It was dark in her room, well passed the hour she could have visitors, but it was the only way to see her. He had patiently waited until everyone else had their fill of staring at her unmoving frame and projecting all their hope and longing onto her.

He glanced around the hall. The nurses knew not to disturb him. It was a perk of buying the children’s ward all new equipment, for annually raising funds. He was king and Metropolis was his city-state. He treated her well and he demanded she give him his due. Tonight, it came in the form of enforcing the rules for everyone else save him. Stopping his casual perusal of the hallway, he returned his attention to the figure that had been so close to death. “Even now you defy me.” The accident had left its mark in a myriad of ways on her. He had to admit that it was all that she deserved.

Lex Luthor sauntered into the room. Her room. He gently took her hand in his own. Caressing it, he felt both her frailty and her strength. The pulse that beat strongly under her skin. His touch was feather light. It was a gentle stroke that quickened the pulse of numerous other women and served as a clear indication of his intent. To screw. To fuck. To hear his name on their lips. He dragged a chair closer to her bed and sat down. It was a trick to make oneself comfortable in the silly chairs hospitals provided, but one that he had learned from necessity.

Once again, Lex took her hand into his, contemplating his current situation. Chloe had wreaked havoc at his facility. His IT and lab techs all said that everything was there and that they couldn’t be sure what she had done, which threw everything off-kilter. On one hand, it would’ve been so much easier to investigate what she had done if she’d died in the crash. On the other, he had no idea what kind of plans she made in the event of her death, so he couldn’t even end her in the hospital.

Lex laid her hand back onto the bed and drummed his fingers on the lowered railing. He added his voice to rhythmic sounds of the machines in her room, “What can I do with you, Chloe? Kill you or not, you are decidedly an issue.”

She was the only variable that he hadn’t, couldn’t work out to his satisfaction. Her new cohort, Oliver, would be an issue. Lex didn’t exactly know their relationship, but he knew that something more was happening between them. It would not surprise him in the least if she had done this on his behest. If Oliver had not given her a graceless push into his activities. It really didn’t matter in the end.

“Oh, Chloe. You are far too smart to let Oliver call the shots.”

Oliver had some delicate dealings on the horizon and it would not be difficult to make those deals fall through. In fact, he would enjoy it. It would be enough to divide his attention between his work and Chloe. Oliver wouldn’t be able to resist the competition. His ego wouldn’t allow it. Oliver’s acquisitions were as good as dead and his failure would push him into doing stupid things. Lex had seen it before.

Oliver fancied himself a player in the business world; and to some extent, he was correct. But Oliver could never consistently do the things necessary to truly elevate himself; and when he did attempt it, he fell into a dark place after. A place of vice. Of booze and self-loathing. All he needed was a violent heave from his old school chum, Lex Luthor. “Something I am all too willing to provide.” Even if Oliver, somehow, won this little, meaningless test, he would be in no position to help Chloe. It would be too late.

Of course, there was always the chance that Oliver would choose Chloe and her knowledge over whatever business dealings he had; but he would lose face in the business world as a consequence. Lex didn’t believe Oliver had the will to endure such a humiliation. And when it happened, there Lex would be. Crowing to the world. Revealing that he was behind Oliver’s tumble. It would taste better than a woman. This is what he was made for. The thrill of the hunt, of conquering his foe. Lex felt his blood quicken and smiled into the room. “You have always been worthy, Chloe.”

It left only Clark and his special, snowflake brand of idiocy. Lex shrugged his shoulders and flicked non-existent lint from his breast pocket. It would be no small problem to unleash some of his 33.1 subjects onto Smallville. The ones he had in mind were violent and so far gone that they no longer had the ability to find their way back from their madness. Clark would have his hands full.

He would set free psychotics with super-human strength, agility, impenetrable skin, the list was truly extensive, and all of them knowing two things: green meteor rock would stop the one responsible for their torment and that Clark Kent was the one responsible. It would weaken the one who would seek to destroy them. Lex would enjoy watching Clark fight them. He had no doubt that Clark would somehow see his way out of true harm; but once again, it would be too late for him to help Chloe. The rest of Chloe’s inner circle were inconsequential. Her cousin could be killed and so could Gabe. “Easy.”

Taking her hand into his once more, holding it gently, he stood and leaned over the bed. His lips next to her ear. His voice a soft, lover’s caress, “I will enjoy this contest, Chloe.”

Lex drew his lips across her forehead. A touch of intent. A tremor passed through her hand. He smiled down at her. Of course she would accept his challenge. He expected nothing less.

Lex Luthor left the room. His gait one of merriment and purpose. He would succeed where no other had. It was only a matter of time.

The next day saw Gabe sitting at his daughter’s bedside. It was a Saturday so he didn’t have to work. He thought that he had done right by her. He may not have been the most attentive father and he knew that there were times when he simply couldn’t understand her; but he thought that his loving her would be enough. That the hole her mother left would eventually be closed. Gabe knew that he hadn’t taken her seriously enough at times, and he regretted it.

He didn’t blame himself for the crash, nor for the person she had become because that person was a good one. He just wished the things that everyone in his situation had wished and would wish for. Gabe wanted her to know and understand that he had tried his best and that he was sorry for any failings. He wanted her to open her eyes and smile and tell him it was okay. He didn’t want his baby girl to die not hearing those words from him. Most of all he wanted his little girl back.

Gabe put his head in his hands and fisted his hands. The momentary pain of pulling his hair was worth it to not feel numb. The best of him was lying in a hospital bed. It was in a coma and unaware. It was alone and in darkness. That part of him wouldn’t come back until she did. Idle conversation from the nurses meant that he knew she had died three times. Once in the ambulance and twice on the operating table. Gabe had no idea how many she had left. She kept that part of herself hidden from everyone and he was no exception.

His voice was broken, “God, Chloe, what more can I do?”

Without a doubt, Gabe knew that he was stretched thin.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. Looking up, he saw that it was Lois. Gabe was happy to see her. He knew that Lois loved Chloe as a sister. Truth be told, he needed his family. This was something he couldn’t handle alone. Gabe needed someone else to share in his misery. He wasn’t strong enough or selfless enough to do it alone.

Clark Kent stood behind her. There were nuances in Chloe’s relationship with Clark that he would never understand; but he did know one thing: he was the root cause of so much of her turmoil. While he couldn’t let her off the hook for her own decisions, he could place the blame where it also rested. It was the domain of children to be callous. Their parents and society tempered it and, in most cases, made them worthwhile human beings.

They cast off the base and heathen desires of youth and entered the world. But Clark Kent wore righteous and privileged indignation like a second skin. In this, he was exactly like Lex Luthor. Two people that, for some reason, inspired loyalty in others. Inspired them to do what they wouldn’t normally. Sometimes for the better, many times not.

Gabe knew people. He read them well. Chloe didn’t develop and adopt mannerisms and thoughts in a vacuum. He taught her to be aware because, deep down inside, Gabe thought that if he had seen Moira for who she was, then the heartaches that followed could have been prevented. That woman took a part of him when she left, but she gave up the best of them both. He didn’t need to know her reasons because they didn’t matter. Moira didn’t talk to him. She didn’t let him try to fix them and so would never have his understanding.

He was understandably less warm when Clark entered the room. Gabe knew that he visited daily, but it didn’t matter. If Chloe had not held him in such regard, he would’ve asked Clark to leave long ago. Clark seemed to understand that the regard Gabe had once held for him had lessened considerably with time.

Lois’ practically whispered when she spoke to Gabe. He had to strain to hear her. This would be one of the few circumstances that this would happen. “How is she?”

Clark knew that Chloe’s healing should’ve kicked in by now. Something else was wrong and he didn’t understand why she was in a coma now. “She should be better now.” Although, that would’ve also caused problems. Her car was too smashed for her to walk away unscathed from it. It was a blessing and a curse that she was now in her current state.

Gabe sighed. “She’s in a coma and won’t wake up until her body feels ready, which could be today, tomorrow, or a year from now. She has brain function and she doesn’t need a ventilator. She’s just…in a coma.”

He took her hand into his own and felt her warmth. Gabe closed his eye and rested his forehead where their hands clasped. He wanted to feel her, but it he was distracted by Lois and Clark.

“She’s strong, Uncle Gabe. Chloe won’t let this take her,” Lois’ voice ended on a tremor. She hated it. Chloe wasn’t the only person in the room who loathed showing their weaknesses.

Lois gestured at a chair that sat against the wall under the television. Clark finally got the message and brought it over to her. She sat down and threw her arms around Gabe. He didn’t move or otherwise acknowledge her; but she knew by the slight easing of the tension in his shoulders that he appreciated her.

Gabe lifted his head and looked into Lois’ eyes. She saw the man who could stare down other managers and important people to get the necessary results for companies like Luthorcorp. She saw the businessman and not the affable uncle she had known growing up. He swung his gaze away from hers to Clark’s and Lois let out a soft sigh of relief. She didn’t know that man and didn’t want to.

There was strength in him that everyone underestimated, “Do you know what she was doing?”

Clark took a deep breath and prepared to lie to his best friend’s father. “No, Mr. Sullivan. She said she had an errand to run and that was it.”

Gabe’s jaw tightened. He lowered his little girl’s hand and shook off Lois. He walked to Clark and didn’t stop until he invaded the younger man’s personal space.

His voice was low, dangerous, and calm. It was tempered steel, “She’s my daughter, Clark. My only child. And if I find out that you’re lying, I promise that no matter what I have to do, you and Oliver will regret it. This reeks of something Luthor-related. Nothing short of that would’ve led to this and nothing short of one of you asking her to do this would’ve caused this. Leave. I don’t want you here today.”

Gabe held his stare a moment longer, deliberately turned his back on Clark, and resumed his bedside vigil. Clark knew that Gabe was serious. It was then that he realized that everything he saw in Chloe was in her father. Everything she was had been lovingly nurtured and allowed to grow at its own pace. Some things pruned, others encouraged. The things that drove her to success, that caused her to fail were probably found somewhere in Gabe; though he had a lifetime of dealing with those things or at least pushing them aside when he had to do so. Gabe could prove just as dangerous to his secret that he thought Chloe had or that Lex did.

Clark turned away to leave, but not before he saw the stunned look on Lois’ face. Her mouth was agape and she looked dazed. There was also confusion and warning in her eyes. He had no idea why this revelation should come as a surprise to either of them. To know Chloe was to know her father. And now they both understood that.

He left the room and heard Lois trail after him. Clark sighed. He had to evade her questions, keep her with Gabe and out of his way, and still somehow alleviate her curiosity. She called out to him. Clark didn’t want to face her, but he didn’t really have a choice. Not if he wanted to accomplish his objectives. He didn’t have time for this.

Lois spat her words out at him. They were like a physical lash, indicting him for whatever role he had in Chloe being hurt. “What did he mean?”

He deliberately misinterpreted her question. “I have no idea. He’s probably just stressed.”

“Don’t do that! Don’t play dumb with me! You know something,” Lois would’ve been yelling had they been anywhere else. Her hands gestured frantically.

“What is it that you want me to say? I don’t know what she was doing or why. I have no idea what she thought would come of it.”

Lois stared at him. “What does Oliver have to do with it?”

He imagined that he heard jealousy, but that was something to ponder on a different day. Clark walked away, “Ask him yourself. I have to go.”

Her eyes narrowed. “Go where?”

Clark whirled around and for the first time that day, he was truly angry, “Away from here, like her father, your uncle, wanted! And it’s none of your business, Lois.” He turned away and quickly walked down the hall. It would, in no way, deter her, but he had bought some time.

Lois clenched her jaw and watched his retreating back. Something was going on and she had to find out. Chloe and Gabe were family and she would be damned if Chloe’s intrigues and Clark’s and Oliver’s maneuverings would stop her from discovering the danger her cousin was in.

Clark had to speak with Oliver. The situation had spun out of control. Lex would be in a mood for war and they had to prepare. He had no idea what that meant or how to do it, but they couldn’t wait. Lex’s, and it could be no one else’s, goons had come close to killing Chloe. It was graceless and ugly and he never did anything like that. At least, not without incredibly good cause.

He had lied to Gabe and Lois in that he knew that Chloe was going somewhere at the behest of Oliver, and that it wasn’t a simple errand. Whatever they had been doing was deep and he had to know what it was.
    Last edited by Avalanche; 22nd February 2010 at 00:00.
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Death Knell, R, 02-21-09, Chapter 1

So much to love in this chapter: I like Lex knowing that Chloe is a worthy adversary, I liked Gabe telling Clark off and I even liked Lois being as over-protective of Chloe and Gabe as she is.

Thanks for continuing this wonderful fic and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: Death Knell, R, 02-21-09, Chapter 1

He glanced around the hall. The nurses knew not to disturb him. It was a perk of buying the children’s ward all new equipment, for annually raising funds. He was king and Metropolis was his city-state. He treated her well and he demanded she give him his due. Tonight, it came in the form of enforcing the rules for everyone else save him. Stopping his casual perusal of the hallway, he returned his attention to the figure that had been so close to death. “Even now you defy me.” The accident had left its mark in a myriad of ways on her. He had to admit that it was all that she deserved.
    This was an excellent beginning. I loved the way that the opening paragraphs left it a mystery on whether it was Lex or Lionel visiting Chloe right now. That description could have fit either one of the two men’s attitude about their exalted position and role in life, as well as their attitude towards the ‘serfs’ that existed to serve them. I wonder whether Lex would have been indignant at the idea of having his attitude compared to Lionel’s, or has he reached the state where he would be pleased by the comparision?

Anyhow, I loved the observation Lex made about how his whole empire is so damned easy to bend to his every whim… except for this one blonde reporter who he simply cannot control, predict or even properly guard himself against. I’m so very proud of Chloe for being the thorn in the Emperor’s side… and also so very afraid for her.

Lex laid her hand back onto the bed and drummed his fingers on the lowered railing. He added his voice to rhythmic sounds of the machines in her room, “What can I do with you, Chloe? Kill you or not, you are decidedly an issue.”
    I don’t know whether to be chilled or smugly satisfied with this statement. On one hand, it’s really creepy seeing how casually and callously Lex is thinking about the possibility of ‘ending’ this problem that Chloe represents. On the other hand, it is very satisfying knowing that Lex wants to make his life easier by ending hers, but Does. Not. Dare! heh heh HA! Not quite as all-powerful as you might like to be, eh, Lex? LOL!

Oliver fancied himself a player in the business world; and to some extent, he was correct. But Oliver could never consistently do the things necessary to truly elevate himself; and when he did attempt it, he fell into a dark place after. A place of vice. Of booze and self-loathing. All he needed was a violent heave from his old school chum, Lex Luthor. “Something I am all too willing to provide.” Even if Oliver, somehow, won this little, meaningless test, he would be in no position to help Chloe. It would be too late.

Of course, there was always the chance that Oliver would choose Chloe and her knowledge over whatever business dealings he had; but he would lose face in the business world as a consequence. Lex didn’t believe Oliver had the will to endure such a humiliation. And when it happened, there Lex would be. Crowing to the world. Revealing that he was behind Oliver’s tumble. It would taste better than a woman. This is what he was made for. The thrill of the hunt, of conquering his foe. Lex felt his blood quicken and smiled into the room. “You have always been worthy, Chloe.”
    Yikes! My gloating over Lex’s inability to touch Chloe came to an abrupt end when I realized that Lex COULD actually hurt Chloe… provided he lays the groundwork for it beforehand. He needs to destroy and/or neutralize her allies first before getting to her… and now it seems he’s willing to put the time and attention into just that objective.

It’s really frightening seeing how quickly Lex came up with a plan to neutralize Oliver, as if it’s a plan that’s been on the backburner for a long time, but only now got pushed to the forefront of Lex’s ‘to-do’ list. It’s rather ironic considering how Lex is finally focusing on bringing down Oliver only as a collateral damage in the objective to get to Chloe.

He would set free psychotics with super-human strength, agility, impenetrable skin, the list was truly extensive, and all of them knowing two things: green meteor rock would stop the one responsible for their torment and that Clark Kent was the one responsible. It would weaken the one who would seek to destroy them. Lex would enjoy watching Clark fight them. He had no doubt that Clark would somehow see his way out of true harm; but once again, it would be too late for him to help Chloe. The rest of Chloe’s inner circle were inconsequential. Her cousin could be killed and so could Gabe. “Easy.”
    I had to shudder at Lex’s monstrosity. It was one thing for Lex to aim to destroy Oliver, Chloe and even Clark… but now he’s thinking (very coldly and pragmatically) about releasing his mutant horrors onto the world, never even paying a thought to the casualties that will occur before Clark manages to stop these super-powered psychotics.

Even more horrific is seeing Lex’s casual acknowledgement about how these mutants had turned psychotic under HIS ministrations in his labs, AND how each of them were trained to fight Clark; being brainwashed into hating him as well as programmed with his weaknesses. Lex doesn’t see anyting atrocious about these actions whatsoever, does he?! He only thinks of all of these actions as part of a ‘contest’ or a game. In fact, it was a contest that he looked forward to with a sense of anticipation and ‘merriment’!! *shudder*

I think Lex has come to the borderline of not being able to distinguish right from wrong any longer. I really hope he’s pulled back from the brink… if that’s possible?

He didn’t blame himself for the crash, nor for the person she had become because that person was a good one. He just wished the things that everyone in his situation had wished and would wish for. Gabe wanted her to know and understand that he had tried his best and that he was sorry for any failings. He wanted her to open her eyes and smile and tell him it was okay. He didn’t want his baby girl to die not hearing those words from him. Most of all he wanted his little girl back.
    This was a heart-rending look at an anguish-filled parent, Ava! Amazingly written! I seriously wanted to reach to the screen and offer Gabe some words of comfort and solace… perhaps assuring him that Chloe is the star of this story, and she’s definitely going to be waking up at some point.

Although, considering that it’s Ava writing this fic, I wouldn’t be able to provide him with assurance that she’s survive till the end of the fic

They cast off the base and heathen desires of youth and entered the world. But Clark Kent wore righteous and privileged indignation like a second skin. In this, he was exactly like Lex Luthor. Two people that, for some reason, inspired loyalty in others. Inspired them to do what they wouldn’t normally. Sometimes for the better, many times not.
    wow! This was brilliant, Ava! In retrospect, I realized that it was pretty dumb of canon-Smallville’s Gabe Sullivan to not realize that a good portion of Chloe’s most dangerous adventures only happened because of her connection with Clark Kent. Not all of them of course, because Chloe is quite capable of creating her own dangerous adventures, but certainly enough of them for Gabe to logically and rationally have developed a dislike for the Chlark friendship.

Therefore I loved the way that it was made clear that Gabe views both Clark and Lex as two separate sides of the same coin… with Chloe stuck in whatever game is going on between the two men. I loved the sense of intense dislike (bordering on loathing) that was described with regards to Gabe’s feelings towards Clark. Brilliantly done, Ava!

Clark knew that Chloe’s healing should’ve kicked in by now. Something else was wrong and he didn’t understand why she was in a coma now. “She should be better now.” Although, that would’ve also caused problems. Her car was too smashed for her to walk away unscathed from it. It was a blessing and a curse that she was now in her current state.
    Well, that’s interesting. So Chloe has healing powers in this fic… but something seems to be interfering with them working this time. Was the damage so very severe? Or is it something else? Perhaps there’s something special about brain damage (as compared to damages to other parts of the body) that render it longer for her healing to kick in?

Gabe lifted his head and looked into Lois’ eyes. She saw the man who could stare down other managers and important people to get the necessary results for companies like Luthorcorp. She saw the businessman and not the affable uncle she had known growing up. He swung his gaze away from hers to Clark’s and Lois let out a soft sigh of relief. She didn’t know that man and didn’t want to.
    I was fascinated and intrigued by this side of Gabe Sullivan. I always saw him as a one-dimensional character who was simply ‘Chloe’s devoted, supportive dad’ (erm… provided he wasn’t the absentee father that he became later in Smallville). It was a very straightforward, but also limited interpretation of a character, so it’s wonderful to be able to see another side to his personality… something stronger, harsher, ruthless and even rather scary. And it’s definitely fun seeing this side of his character being aimed at Clark Kent

His voice was low, dangerous, and calm. It was tempered steel, “She’s my daughter, Clark. My only child. And if I find out that you’re lying, I promise that no matter what I have to do, you and Oliver will regret it. This reeks of something Luthor-related. Nothing short of that would’ve led to this and nothing short of one of you asking her to do this would’ve caused this. Leave. I don’t want you here today.”

Gabe held his stare a moment longer, deliberately turned his back on Clark, and resumed his bedside vigil. Clark knew that Gabe was serious. It was then that he realized that everything he saw in Chloe was in her father. Everything she was had been lovingly nurtured and allowed to grow at its own pace. Some things pruned, others encouraged. The things that drove her to success, that caused her to fail were probably found somewhere in Gabe; though he had a lifetime of dealing with those things or at least pushing them aside when he had to do so. Gabe could prove just as dangerous to his secret that he thought Chloe had or that Lex did.
    squeee! I was absolutely thrilled by Gabe’s promising threat to destroy both Clark and Oliver if he discovered that it was their lying and negligence that led to Chloe’s current state. The enthralling thing is that I completely believe Gabe’s promise as well as in his ability to fulfill that promise. I believe he has it within himself to make life quite awful for the two men, regardless of their power and influence.

And I was delighted to see that Clark realized the validity and truth of Gabe’s promise as well. He was able to recognize Chloe’s deep will and stubborn determination in Gabe, and he knows (from Chloe) exactly how powerful a force that can be. Fantastic!

It makes me wonder just how much stronger the team would be if Gabe was at and by Chloe’s side, fully aware of her secrets, goals and lifestyle; supporting and helping her through it all… just like Martha does for Clark’s.

Lois clenched her jaw and watched his retreating back. Something was going on and she had to find out. Chloe and Gabe were family and she would be damned if Chloe’s intrigues and Clark’s and Oliver’s maneuverings would stop her from discovering the danger her cousin was in.
    heee! It’s not just Gabe, but also Lois who has now been brought into the ‘team’. Well, if not into the team, then at least as part of the active picture. That’s fantastic! Chloe has been acting as back-up for others for so long without any support of her own that it was getting ridiculous and disgusting. She needs back-up and support of her own. Clark and Oliver are nice men, but they’re both far too self-involved to notice Chloe unless she’s in a life or death situation. It would be immensely satisfying to see Chloe getting some emotional support, of the same variety that she provides so easily for everyone else, just to help them function.

Clark had to speak with Oliver. The situation had spun out of control. Lex would be in a mood for war and they had to prepare. He had no idea what that meant or how to do it, but they couldn’t wait. Lex’s, and it could be no one else’s, goons had come close to killing Chloe. It was graceless and ugly and he never did anything like that. At least, not without incredibly good cause.

He had lied to Gabe and Lois in that he knew that Chloe was going somewhere at the behest of Oliver, and that it wasn’t a simple errand. Whatever they had been doing was deep and he had to know what it was.
    It’s good to see that Clark is aware that there has been a new battle-cry for a bloody war between him and his team and Team-LuthorCorp. I was half-afraid that Lex was simply going to start off his new moves without Clark or Oliver bring prepared for anything. It was actually a valid concern because, up till now, Chloe has always been the lookout for dangers, keeping her virtual feelers on the horizons for any new traps and schemes that the Luthors were plotting. It’s good to see that Clark is going to be picking up the slack while Chloe is out of commission.

This was a fantastic chapter, Ava! I can’t wait to see what happens in the upcoming update. Please post soon!! This was only the set-up; the action hasn’t started, and I’m already salivating for future developments.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information