+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impassive Darkness (G)

bella_b
    Just a Guest!
    I really like this little piece, i think that it' s challenging in a way that few fics are. it is nice to read a story that is ambiguous yet succinct, and doesn't explicitly explain everything to the reader about the character, why they are doing certain things, how they reason these actions and what they are thinking at the time-because conscience isn't really like that. for this piece you kind of just step into Lex's being for the time, and leave shortly after- not really knowing him any better or worse than before. It is kind of similar to Bret Easton Ellis (author of American Psycho, Rules of Attraction...)- it is not written so that you can understand where the character is coming from and be able to justify their actions, you kind of just hop into a person's mind and then back out again.

This fic says so much with so little and really makes the reader think and interpret what they are reading.
    “It’s ok, I’m here.”

And for a moment, here in the darkness, he almost believes it.
    ok, killer line. when i first read that i wasn't sure if Lex or Chloe had said it, and i thought that the "almost believes it" was doubt with reference to Lex believing that everything was ok. and then i thought that it may be an existential comment. Then i settled on the fact that it was really clever line, and could be both.

So i did enjoy this fic- as you can probably tell from my book report type feedback. And i really liked reading other peoples analysis of it as well, interesting to see how other people saw things, views that were pretty different to mine, but also entirely probable. Great Job!

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar
    Originally posted by madame_sosostris@Nov 20 2003, 06:28 PM
    “It’s ok, I’m here.”

And for a moment, here in the darkness, he almost believes it.
    It been said several times already but I just have to say it again...awesome line! The way I took it was that his 'almost believing it' was in reference to him being there for Chloe. I'm not sure if this is something that you meant to come across or not. I guess from lines like:
    The other occupant of the bed stirs and instinctively moves toward him. He has nowhere to retreat. So he stays.
    This is what I think fueled that idea for me. The idea that although he can't, he wishes to retreat from Chloe. Due to this, I felt that the entire 'trapped' feeling that comes for Lex is steming form his relationship with Chloe. Does any of this make sense? I know what I mean in my head but it's not coming out right!

Everyone else has commented on the journey that Lex takes through the castle and so everything I thought has already been pretty much summed up on that score.

Wonderful piece. I hope to see more writing fro you!

A little pink and white polka dot beanbag chair in the middle of the atlantic
    I agree with what everyone has written here(how very unoriginal of me)

It is unusual to find a piece of chlex writing that does not have everything with the world okay as long as chloe and lex are together, the way you suggest that things are not what they seem on the surface if fantastic.

This is a great piece of writing.

Lel x

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

I have to say my favorite element of this piece is the opening of the window. This could be seen so many ways, and that's what's so great about this. The open window could be seen as an escape hatch from a life Lex feels that he doesn't deserve, or a beckoning for something to come into the window, to take him away. Or it could be Lex alowing himself to feel something, the coolness of the breeze, when all of his other sensations are slowly being shut off

I just love the posibilities!

clannadlvr

see spot snark Senior Member happy bunny's Avatar
    As it's been said pretty much by everybody, this is an amazing piece.

Wonderfully dark and leaves so much for the reader to decide, as is evident by the different analysis from each reviewer.

Most of what I wanted to say has already been stated but I just had to tell you how wonderful this is.

:worship2: :worship2:

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

Re: Impassive Darkness (G)

i loved it but the end makes me sad.

slyflame
    Just a Guest!

A lone pilot light of assurance.

That was wonderful.

Damn that was great

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blaire023 View Post
    Oh, I loved it. The end leaves you baffled. Is she really there, or is it just his very hopeful imagination?

mmmmmm, good fic.

~B
    Or is he the one not really there...? Great fic!
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information