+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do to retrieve a fic/thread that won't open or has missing posts (REVIEWED)

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

What to do to retrieve a fic/thread that won't open or has missing posts (REVIEWED)

We've figured out a few tricks to be able to retrieve threads and posts which were targeted by hackers.

If you notice that a thread is missing posts or won't allow you to go to the following page, you can access its printable version to see it in full. You'll find a "Show Printable Version" button on all threads when you open them. Go to the first post of any thread page. In the top right-hand corner you'll find a series of buttons labelled Thread Tools, Search this Thread, Rate this Thread. etc. If you click on the first one, a drop-down menu will open including the option called "Show printable Version".

Meanwhile, if you're redirected to the homepage when attempting to open a thread, here's what you can do:

Scroll down on any page until you get to the bottom. You'll find a series of buttons in the right-hand corner (Contact Us, NS Community, Mod, Archive, Top). Click on the ARCHIVE button, and you'll get a list of all the fics on the boards from which you'll be able to retrieve their printable versions.

Alternative Trick 1:
    Hover over the thread and look at the bottom left-hand corner of your screen to see the URL of the story you want to access. Take note of the number in this part of the address printthread.php?t=8720. Then copy and paste the following link on your browser replacing the number "8720" with the one you recorded. Then press enter: http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/...&pp=100&page=1 You'll be redirected to the printable version of the story.

By the way, you won't be able to leave comments but you can send feedback to the writers via PM or post feedback in the back-up threads I've already opened for some fics. NO NEW BACK-UP THREADS WILL BE CREATED BY THE WAY.

If you're an author, I suggest adding links to the printable versions of your fics to your master list, so that your readers can leave you feedback there.

Alternative Trick 2:Copy the link address, paste into browser, and remove everything after the ID.

e.g.:http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/...ted-02-15-2015)

Remove everything after http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/showthread.php/8941
    Last edited by lexie; 12th October 2015 at 21:22.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Re: What to do to retrieve a fic/thread that won't open or has missing posts

Bumping.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2015 at 21:24.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

OMG! Thank you so much for posting these amazing tips on how to view a fic that wouldn't open. It worked!!!
    I will finally get an opportunity to finish reading The Arrangement.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2015 at 21:25.

NS Full Member

lexie - great job explaining it all step by step, much more clearly than my excited babble! I'm just so glad the original printable threads weren't deleted by that evil hacker/bug! Would've been a pity to lose the archived feedback/conversations too...the above tip also seems to work for non-fanfic threads, at least the ones I've tried so far in the AM/MR/Chlex/SV episode discussion forums. I know the show's long over, but I like having the option to go back and read fans' reactions to the eps, etc. The history of the fandom must be preserved! (Recently another fan forum I visited got shut down so maybe I'm feeling extra maudlin!)
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2015 at 21:25.

NS Senior Member Senior Member HotCrossedBunny's Avatar

Thank-you Lexie, as always you are brilliant. Just a question though, I have been gone for about a month writing my own original stuff and just came back to check on my stuff and a few of them have that thing where it redirects to the homepage. These are newish threads. Has there been a new attack in the last two months or something?

Also, do we have an official live journal account or something? Just in case the whole thing goes kaput one day *fingers crossed, hoping and praying that it doesn't* so that everyone could still meet up. Sort of a worst case scenario contingency plan?

Quote Originally Posted by HotCrossedBunny View Post
    Thank-you Lexie, as always you are brilliant. Just a question though, I have been gone for about a month writing my own original stuff and just came back to check on my stuff and a few of them have that thing where it redirects to the homepage. These are newish threads. Has there been a new attack in the last two months or something?

Also, do we have an official live journal account or something? Just in case the whole thing goes kaput one day *fingers crossed, hoping and praying that it doesn't* so that everyone could still meet up. Sort of a worst case scenario contingency plan?
    Do the threads correspond to ongoing fics? If so, try creating a new one. Add the link to the printable view of the other thread to the first post so that you can save yourself the trouble of having to repost what you've shared so far.

Here's our facebook account: https://www.facebook.com/nsnetwork
    Last edited by lexie; 1st August 2015 at 21:38.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

NS Senior Member Senior Member HotCrossedBunny's Avatar

Yes, on going ones. I will do that, thank-you.

Thank-you for the link.

There's a much easier way to access all fics without having to copy the link I added to the first post and replacing the highlighted number.

Just scroll down on any page until you get to the bottom. You'll find a series of buttons in the right-hand corner (Contact Us, NS Community, Mod, Archive, Top). Click on the ARCHIVE button, and you'll get a list of all the fics on the boards from which you'll be able to retrieve their printable versions.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

This is really beneficial to all of us.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by BabyDee; 2nd August 2015 at 03:19.
    "I make my own destiny."

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

I turned off something called friendly URLs, which might have caused the threads to redirect to the home page.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information