+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Measure of a Man's Soul (PG-13)

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

A Measure of a Man's Soul (PG-13)

Title: A Measure of a Man’s Soul
    Author: Kathy
    Rating: PG 13
    Pairings: Chlex
    Spoilers: S1 episode of “Kinetic”
    Words: 1417
    Category: General/friendship
    Summary: Chloe and Lex continue the interview that ended so abruptly
    Disclaimer: This story is purely for fun and no profit. I don't own Smallville or any of its characters.
    A/N: This is my answer to phillydragonldy’s prompt for the SV’s Sunkenships challenge. Please tell me what you think

Like any good reporter, Chloe always carried a pen and paper with her so she could get down the immediate reactions of the people she was questioning.

Yes, she also used her phone to record the interviews but a recording didn’t convey the subjects’ facial expressions or any other tells.

So when Lex Luthor called her to set up a second interview, she’d begun preparing the minute she ended the call. Along with her phone charger, Chloe also made sure to have three pens on her person and at least two notebooks. It never hurt to be prepared.

Chloe also had a list of questions that she was determined to get answers to. She was going to ask Lex about LuthorCorps’ involvement in Level 3, the rumors about meteor rock testing and how exactly the fertilizer plant and Smallville itself was involved in the experiments.

The interview was set promptly for this Saturday at 3pm, so by the time Thursday rolled around, Chloe was nearly bouncing off the walls in her excitement. She was imagining all of the ways Lex might get out of answering any of her questions and she was coming up with counter arguments to ensure a response.

Her poor dad shook his head at her. “Chloe, relax, you’re interviewing my boss, not a criminal mastermind.”

“At least not yet,” Chloe muttered under her breath.

“Just remember that he’s not Lionel Luthor.” Gabe admonished gently. “He can only answer for himself, not his father’s actions.”

Chloe inclined her head, her father’s words finally getting through to her. “Don’t worry, Dad, I’m not trying to blame any of the father’s sins on the son.”

“That’s my girl,” Gabe smiled approvingly. “Now I have a surprise for you .”

At the words ‘suprprise’, Chloe looked up eagerly. “We’re going to Metropolis aren’t we?”

Gabe rolled his eyes. “How do you always guess?” He grumbled good naturedly.

“You’d written “Metropolis Conservatory’ on the calendar for tomorrow’s date,” Chloe admitted sheepishly.

“We will be attending Friday’s evening performance of the Metropolis Orchestra and before that, the Conservatory will be having their annual piano sale in the concert hall.”

But before her dad could finish speaking, his emotions overcame him and he fought back tears. Chloe quickly reached out her hand and her father grasped it like a lifeline.

“Mom always loved looking at the baby grand’s,” Chloe finally chocked out.

Gabe simply nodded, not trusting himself to speak, his grip tight in Chloe’s hand.

~~~

The concert hall was as beautiful as she remembered and Chloe often thought about how ‘meant to be’ her parent’s first meeting was.

Moira Lane had been a student at Metropolis’ School of Music and it was during their Spring concert when she’d first been introduced to engineering student Gabe Sullivan and the pair quickly hit it off.

After they were married , Gabe and Moira continued to attend concerts at the Conservatory and they even brought little Chloe with them for afternoon performances.

Chloe remembered them as exceedingly happy times: her mom was still well and her dad wasn’t consumed with worry.

She was abruptly thrown out of her reverie at seeing Lex Luthor wondering around the concert hall in rapt conversation with an older gentleman.

Chloe didn’t think she’d ever seen Lex’s face look that animated or happy before, even when he was talking to Clark.

She turned to look for her dad but he she soon saw that he was deep in conversations with a group of musicians from the school, discussing the merits of an interactive piano.

Chloe smiled at Gabe’s enthusiasm, and by the time she turned back to look at the other patrons, Lex was gone.

~~~

For the rest of that evening, Chloe couldn’t stop thinking about Lex’s joyful expression and she wondered at just how little she knew about the Luthor heir.

‘That’s why you’re interviewing him,’ Chloe scolded herself. ‘So you and the rest of the town can learn more about him.’

Uttering a silent prayer that she wouldn’t be thrown out of any more windows, Chloe pressed the door bell and held her breath.

She let it out in a whoosh when Vlad, Lex’s six foot five Romanian butler opened the door and before Chloe could even speak, he was gesturing for her to follow.

Instead of taking the left at the hallway that led to the study, Vlad took the right hallway and took Chloe past rooms she’s never seen before until he stopped abruptly at a rather ornate door.

“Mr. Luthor will be right with you, “ Vlad intoned, and with those words, he turned on his heel and left.

“Alrighty then,” Chloe laughed to herself. “Now onto snooping.”

But Chloe had only stepped a foot into the room before she’d realized what she was seeing.

It was one of the digital pianos from the concert hall, a Yamaha Clavinovas her mind supplied, and it was smack dab in the middle of the room.

Her fingers itched to sit down and actually play something, but it had been years since her lessons and if she was honest with herself, she’d never really had a flair for music.

Her mom was enormously talented but Chloe had never truly gotten past “Hot Cross Buns” but as her mom used to say, “You play what you can and if you love it, that’s all that matters.”

She was so lost in her memories that she’d almost missed Lex’s entrance and it was only the sound of his phone ringing that brought Chloe back to herself.

She stepped guilty away from the piano and waited while Lex answered his phone, grateful to have a minute to compose herself.

While Lex was talking, Chloe took a minute to examine her interview subject. He was wearing his classic outfit: a lilac colored shirt, opened collar, well fitted black trousers. She checked his facial expression, saw that is was guarded and she decided right then and there that she wanted to see that change.

He finished his phone call, set the ringer on vibrate, and threw a smooth smile her way. “Chloe, I’m so glad that we could reschedule.”

Chloe smiled brightly back, “I’m grateful you were able to make time for me.”

Lex startled her by gently touching her right upper arm, the arm that had been broken in the fall. “I trust there aren’t any more repercussions?”

“None,” Chloe reassured him firmly. “Your doctors made sure I was fit as a fiddle.” She paused to make sure she had his full attention. “Thank you for that.”

He answered just as quietly back. “I’m glad they were able to help.”

The mood in the room was turning more serious then she liked when Lex broke them both out of it.

“Now,” he said briskly, “you have some more questions for me?”

Chloe opened her bag and pulled out her notebook, pen and phone, but before she pressed the record button, she looked up in consideration.

“Why did you choose this room and not the study?”

“Chloe, I wouldn’t have you set foot in that study again for the entire world,” came his earnest answer.

Chloe smiled to herself before she pressed ‘record.’ “What’s your favorite sonata?”

She was pleased to see Lex blink in surprise but he responded quickly. “I enjoy Chopin’s Sonata #2 in B flat minor.”

“There are many musicians who feel like Prokofiev is heavy handed, woeful and despairing. What are your thoughts?”

Lex took a half of a step towards Chloe before stopping. “Chloe, what is this?”

She decided she liked how bewildered looked on Lex’s handsome face.

“It’s your interview Mr. Luthor,” Chloe replied cheekily.

At Lex’s huff of half annoyance and half amusement, Chloe continued on. “If you could study anything in the world, be anything you wanted, what would it be.”

Lex paused in consideration and really looked at Chloe’s face. She hoped he saw her sincerity and that this wasn’t an elaborate trick.

He glanced to the left and deliberately sat down at his digital piano. Chloe inched her way forward and before she could even blink, Lex started to play.

The beautiful music filled the air and she recognized the piece as something her mother had once played. “Schubert’s Sonata in A major” Lex helpfully answered, “and to answer your question, I’d be a pianist.”

Chloe laughed in delight at seeing just how happy Lex looked but she couldn’t resist teasing him a little.

“Do you take requests?”
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Re: A Measure of a Man's Soul (PG-13)

This is great. I really enjoyed reading it. Is it a one-shot or will you add more to it?

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

Rereading this amazing fic
    Malu

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

Nice, I enjoyed it!
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

This is just a one shot, yet another Chlex inteview fic --Saylan Wizard, malugargula and Ami Rose--thanks for reading
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 19th May 2018 at 18:12.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

My Fanfic Master List

NS Senior Member Senior Member HotCrossedBunny's Avatar

This is so nice. Such a sweet fic. Well done. I don't know why I never came across it before.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCrossedBunny View Post
    This is so nice. Such a sweet fic. Well done. I don't know why I never came across it before.
    It was hidden among much more awesome fics Thanks for reading!
    KATHY

My Fanfic Master List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information