+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Much Ado About Smallville (NC-17) Completed 3rd August 2013

NS Senior Member Senior Member HotCrossedBunny's Avatar

Much Ado About Smallville (NC-17) Completed 3rd August 2013

Much Ado About Smallville

Rating: NC-17
    Disclaimer: I don’t own Smallville – unfortunately.
    Spoilers: I have changed so much that I doubt it.
    Summary: Lex comes to stay with the Sullivans for the summer as he has done since he was a child and both of his parents died in the meteor crash which left him bald, will his dislike of Chloe turn into something more this year or will it be yet another summer of one-up-manship, machinations and snarkiness?

*Chapter One*

“Welcome to Smallville Kansas, population 25,000, largest producer of corn in the state and home of the only Luthor Corp plant not to be constantly bombarded with complaints about the way that we are treating the environment”, Lex Luthor announced as he sped passed the welcome sign.

“I can’t thank-you enough for bringing me with you Lex”, his companion thanked him from the umpteenth time.

“Sure you can, Clark. Just stop thanking me”, Lex smiled easily.

Clark smiled at that. “I’ll try but you have no idea how much this means to me”.

“I do Clark, I can assure you that I do. You have to remember that my parents died in the Meteor crash too. The only difference was that I was fortunate enough to have money and someone to support me where as you did not. I know that I would not have turned out like you did if I had been sent to an orphanage. Hell, I didn’t turn out like you and I have had plenty of stability”, he said as they raced through even more fields of corn.

“That’s the Gabe Sullivan you are always speaking about”, Clark hazarded a guess.

It would not be correct to say that Lex blushed; Luthor’s never blushed. But he did turn a little pinker, probably due to the heat of that fine June morning he told himself. “I didn’t know that I spoke about him that much”.

“You don’t, in general. You are quite guarded about your private life and the Sullivans but to me, yes you have mentioned him quite a few times especially when thinking up new business strategies”, Clark explained.

Lex tried to shrug it off. “He is a very capable business man. He ran one of the larger Luthor Corp enterprises in Metropolis originally and bloody good at it but when the meteors fell and he lost his wife he wanted a change of pace for him and his daughter. He helped build up the Smallville plant from scratch and ever since that day it has been one of our biggest hitters and somehow always environmentally sound”.

“That is impressive”, Clark said, he knew how difficult a lot of the plants found it to balance their balance their books and their environmental responsibilities. “But there is more to it than that, right?”

“Yes”, Lex shook his head with a smile; he couldn’t believe that he was actually talking about this. “I was in private boarding school in Metropolis so my life didn’t change that much after my parents’ deaths but it turns out that Gabe was their executor. He welcomed me into his home at every single holiday, took more of an interest in my academic education and in me than my real father ever did. My first act when I turned 18 was giving him the Luthor mansion, he refused of course but I had to explain to him that I wanted that house to have a family and that the only people who could fill it with enough love were the Sullivans”.

“What did he say?” Clark wondered, trying to imagine the man who would turn down a mansion.

“He still refused to accept it so I agreed that he would just manage it until his daughter came of age, and he agreed to that”, Lex smiled, “anything for his little girl”.

“You have never mentioned the daughter before”, Clark said, thinking that was odd as Lex was a notorious flirt … maybe the girl was really ugly.

“Ah there is a reason for that. The house is lovely, and so is Gabe, the only fly in the ointment is his pain in the ass of a daughter”, Lex said.

“She is really that bad?” Clark inquired, a little nervously. It was hard to imagine anyone so terrible that Lex Luthor couldn’t deal with them let alone a little girl.

“Think of the worst, most obstinate, suborn girl you can possibly imagine, times that by ten and you are still nowhere near to describing Chloe Ann Sullivan”, Lex tried to describe her.

Clark shivered at the idea of someone that Lex could not control but said valiantly, “However bad she might be, I am still glad that you invited me. Since we met you have been sort of, an older brother to me, and this … taking me to what is basically your family home for the summer while University is out so that I am not just bumming around Metropolis by myself, it means a lot”.

“I already told you stop thanking me, if anything see it as a job. Yes, I am here to spend the summer with Gabe and do a bit of work with the plant, but mainly spend time with the family. Gabe insists that a multibillionaire can delegate enough to have a holiday – or else he said that he would send Chloe to fetch me”, he shuddered at the very idea. “So you can act as a buffer which will hopefully keep me from strangling her within the first five minutes and ending up on death row”.

“She sounds charming”, Clark commented, admiring the view. Even with the addition of an apparently very annoying girl, this would still be the best summer that he had ever had and he was determined to enjoy it.

“Indeed, I hope that you didn’t mind such an early start but I wanted to get there before 7am”, Lex continued the conversation.

“No problem, got work to do?”

“No, I just know that Chloe chose to come back from Yale at a ridiculous hour yesterday night rather than coming back earlier in the day because she wanted to go on a date, I plan on rubbing that in her face by arriving when she is probably still in bed”, Lex grinned.

“Why do I get the feeling that you are not exactly the innocent bystander in many of your dealings?” Clark wondered, a little shocked to hear that Chloe was in University, he had had the impression that she was much younger.

“I have no idea”, Lex tried to look innocent but his face broke out into a broad, decidedly mischievous grin.

~*~

“Ergh!” Chloe groaned, as she shuffled into the kitchen and was hit by just how bright it really was.

“Good morning sunshine, did you have a good night’s sleep?” Her father asked good naturedly from where he was standing next to the coffee pot.

“I’ll let you know when it’s over”, she groused as she plodded over to the coffee maker and wrinkled her nose.

“It is black”, he told her helpfully.

“It is liquid, good coffee shouldn’t pour easily”, Chloe complained and started making her own pot.

“Yes, so I have told by Lex numerous times”, Gabe said, “I suppose that now I will have both of your impertinent little puppies making fun of my coffee making skills”.

“Wha?” Chloe looked at him in confusion.

“It is the 1st of June, you know that Lex always comes down then for three months”, Gabe said, surprised that she had forgotten that. Maybe she really did need some more sleep, he knew that her dating had been a bad idea.

“Yeah, when he was at school, in Uni and under 21. He is 21 now”, Chloe protested.

“He may be 21 but he is still part of this family and he needs a holiday”, he said, not sternly because Gabe was never stern but the matter was definitely not open for discussion.

“Fine”, Chloe sulked, “so much for the nice relaxing summer that I had planned. I might as well have stayed at Yale”.

“It won’t be that bad and you know that you would never leave me alone for the whole of the summer”, Gabe reminded her.

“You won’t be alone, you’ll have Lex”, she said.

Gabe sighed and wrapped his arm around his daughter’s shoulders, “Not this again. Someone really is overtired. We have had this conversation before. I love Lex like a son and I always want him to feel included but I only have one little baby Chloe, and that is you. You always come first, you know that”. He kissed her forehead, “Now, as I recognised the signs that you are upset about something out with it. Why are you even up this early? I thought that you would be tired after the big date”.

“The big date, the one I have been waiting for for weeks … he didn’t turn up. I sat there waiting for him for two hours but nothing”, her bottom lip quivered.

“Maybe something happened to him. Maybe it is in hospital in a coma right now”, Gabe suggested optimistically.

“Thanks Dad, but I don’t have that kind of luck”, Chloe said, as she rested her head on his shoulder.

“Oh, I wouldn’t bet on that”, Gabe muttered stroking his daughter’s hair.

“You’re the only man I can count on”, she said.

“Yes, well as much as I would love to say that that was true and that you should swear off all boys … actually no, that is right. They are all smelly horrible creatures, you would be much better off having nothing to do with them”, he smiled at the idea.

Chloe laughed.

“Seriously sweetheart, I don’t know what was wrong with that boy last night but there are some good men out there, trust worthy ones who will make you happy and if you meet one like that … Lex and I will get rid of him and then you can stay with me until you are an old maid and no one wants you”, he said brightly as the coffee maker beeped to show that her sludge was ready.

“At least eat something if you are going to drink that muck”, Gabe said as he watched her salivating as he poured it / spooned it out.

“Will do Daddy”, Chloe promised as she pulled away from him to get her cup and he started on breakfast.

“At least you will have Lex to torment, you know how that always cheers you up”, he said with a smile.

“I resent that”, she huffed, but enjoying the feeling the heavy warmth of the mug in her hands, “I never torment him, he torments me. It is always all his fault”.

“I know that baby, because you are my daughter. An impartial judge might not share my view. Oh and he is bringing a friend down”, Gabe added as he started pouring out porridge oats.

“No”, Chloe exclaimed. “I know that he keeps a line of whores …”

“Chloe Ann Sullivan”.

“Fine, I know that he keeps a line of ladies of slightly less than reputable virtue”, Chloe corrected herself.

“Better”, Gabe nodded.

“But not here. It is bad enough that they have to tag along on ever picnic and outing”, she brought her coffee to her lips without making any attempt to eat something first.

“Darling, you normally get rid of them within five minutes”, Gabe said with his back to her as he got to work on the muffins.

Chloe looked shocked. “I do no such thing. I am always extremely kind and gracious to the little trollo … trolls. They are just always so mean!”

“They normally dote on you”, her father reminded her.

“That is just because they think that they can get around Lex that way, although God knows why when he is always so mean to me”, she drank a little more coffee and decided that it wasn’t quite strong enough.

“Probably because everyone in Excelsior and most of society knows what happens to people who are mean to you in Lex’s presence”, he suggested mildly, not bothering to even react to the idea that Lex was always mean to her. He remembered fondly the day when they had been at Chloe’s sports day, not the part when someone had pulled her pig tail and called her a piggy, but the next minute when he had seen had been Lex flying through the air to rugby tackle the boy to the ground, sit on his back and push his face into the mud while pulling his hair whilst saying “We don’t pull people’s hair. It isn’t nice”.

“Meh!”

“You know that Jodie still has scandal attached to her name after she was apparently rude to you and Lex found out”, he still had no idea what had actually happened between Jodie and Chloe or how Lex had found out but he thought it wiser not to ask as Chloe had seemed alright afterwards and Lex felt that sufficient vengeance had been extracted, “You know that Lex had her arrested on suspicious of soliciting”.

Chloe smirked but then controlled it and announced, “Yes, well that doesn’t change the fact that his girlfriends are always stupid. Remember that one who sat down on the glue that I was using and had quite naturally left on her chair and then tried to blame me?”

“Yes, I remember that event well. You have to admit that the evidence was rather against you at that point. You had wanted to play with Lex …”

“I never wanted anything of the sort”, Chloe denied.

Gabe smiled, “Okay, you thought that you would be very kind and allow Lex to play with you …”

“Better”, Chloe nodded.

“And show him your new art kit when the nasty little girl got in the way and took his attention away from you”, Gabe said, knowing what had really got under Chloe’s skin. She couldn’t stand for anyone to have the attention of someone she cared about other than her, it made her nervous. With him that made her clingy, with Lois that made her loud, and with Lex that made her bratty. There was no one else she cared about that much.

“She also interrupted me and used one of my new crayons without asking”, Chloe pointedly ignored her father’s implication that she had ever wanted Lex’s attention knowing that if she argued the point that he would just say, ‘me thinks the lady doth protest too much’.

“The nerve of the girl”, Gabe teased, “and then she sat on your glue”.

“Yes, and Lex took her side”, Chloe finished off her coffee and poured herself another while her father wasn’t looking.

“As I remember it, Lex brought you a new even bigger even more sparkly tube of glue, stopped the girl throwing something at you, and told her that she was no longer welcome on the company picnic and that if she and her family didn’t leave immediately then they would be fired. She just happened to be there, he didn’t actually invite her”, Gabe reminded her.

Chloe shrugged, “Well, that doesn’t change the fact that he said that I was a very naughty little girl and that if I mislaid anything like that again that he would stick me in a corner for a whole four minutes”.

“No, nothing can make up for such a slight. I don’t know why he wasn’t immediately hauled off to jail”, Gabe chuckled to himself.

“Neither do I”, Chloe said, without a trace of humour.

Gabe regarded his daughter for a few moments before asking, “Would it make you happier to know that the friend coming with him now is a boy?”

“Lex has a boyfriend?” Chloe’s eyes sparked with mischief.

“That isn’t exactly how I would put it”.

“Really, it is exactly how I am going to put it”, she grinned.

“Yes, I thought that it might be”, Gabe chortled as the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it, I’ll get it”, Chloe raced to the front door and threw it open, her freshly refilled coffee cup still in her hand.

“Hello Lex, is this your new boyfriend?” She asked before getting a good look at who it was.

It was indeed Lex standing there looking a little taller than she remembered and better build in what counted as casual wear for him, grey slacks and a soft blue jumper which highlighted the lean lines of his body. He was wearing the irritating, charming smirk that he had perfected soon after his fourteenth birthday when Chloe had never understood why girls were starting to go weak in the knees over him.

Lex’s eyes trailed over her obviously and appraisingly. From her bare feet with painted toe nails, over her delicate ankles up her shapely distinctly bare legs to the short cotton shorts which encased her hips and the grey tank top which did nothing to hide the flatness of her stomach or the fullness of her breasts.

“I guess Smallville as done some growing up since Christmas”, he commented as he noticed her ample chest. It hadn’t gown since Christmas, in fact Chloe had looked more or less the same since her sixteenth birthday there was just a lot more of her on display in what he took to be her pyjamas.

Chloe rolled her eyes, “If this is your attempt to make me cower before the great and power Lex Luthor …”

“Damn, I didn’t know that you thought of me in that way Chloe”, he was aiming to irritate.

She growled.

He smirked.

Clark coughed.

“Of course, where are my manners?” Lex started.

“Damned if I know”, Chloe put in.

“That was a rhetorical question Chloe, aren’t they teaching you anything at Yale? As I was saying. Where are my manners? I will start over again. Good morning Chloe, I’m surprised to see you up and about this early. This is my good friend Clark Kent”, he refused to rise to the boyfriend comment; he wouldn’t give her so much satisfaction this early in the morning. Damn, better not to think about satisfying her in the morning.

“Oh, it is so nice to meet you Mr Kent”, Chloe gave him her most winning smile and stretched out her hand to him.

Lex rolled his eyes.

“My father only just informed me of your arrival but I am sure that the staff will have your room ready soon, would you care to join us for breakfast?” She all but batted her eyelashes.

“Please call me Clark, and I hope that I am not imposing”, he fell hook line and sinker for the smile.

“She might look sweet but trust me, pure poison”, Lex said in a stage whisper.

Chloe narrowed her eyes at him for a second before returning her attention to Clark – for Lex’s benefit, of course. “I assure you, it is no imposition at all. You will join us for breakfast, won’t you? It will be ready in a few minutes which will give you time to get your bearings and for me to changed”.

“Into someone nicer?” Lex asked.

“Out of my pyjamas”, she clarified.

“No need to bother on my account, you forget that I have already seen you in much less. If memory serves me correctly we had bathes together at one point”, Lex dug up the memory that he thought would embarrass her most at that moment.

Chloe was about to fire back some scathing retort along the lines that there was no point in bathing with Luthors as all they did was stew in their own filth before remembering Clark and giving an odd little smile, “I don’t really remember that but if you say so. So, breakfast?” She turned to the taller and younger gentleman on her doorstep.

“I would love to”, he grinned down at her.

“I remember it. You got shampoo in your eyes and I had to try to get it out before you screamed the house down”, Lex muttered and the flicker which passed through Chloe’s eyes showed that she did too.

She took a step back and let Clark and his suitcase into the house, holding the door open with one hand and her coffee cup in the other. “Just leave your suitcase there, the maids will get it”, then as she saw that Lex was about to step over the threshold as well she began to close the door. “I don’t remember saying that you could come in”.

“You are seriously going to try to keep me out of my own home?” Lex asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Ah, well if you remember correctly you signed it over to me so that you could look good in front of my father so …”

“You know that that wasn’t the reason”, he growled and Clark looked distinctly uncomfortable.

She gave him an evil smile, “Whatever the reason, I am in charge now that I am eighteen and things are going to be a little bit different”.

“Like hell they are”, Lex said, pushing the door back open gently but firmly and walking in and leaving his suitcase so that he had an extra hand to grab her coffee cup, “Oh Chloe, you brought me coffee. You shouldn’t have”.

A/N: So, what do you think? To continue or not to continue, that is the question.
    Last edited by HotCrossedBunny; 3rd August 2013 at 18:02.

Members

Re: Much Ado About Smallville (NC-17) Posted 2nd May 2013

I loved that and yes please do continue.

Can't wait for more!

First, did I mention that I love you?

Second, of course, continue, there's nothing worse than a story left unfinished

Third... <thinking> I don't know, it's late lol But I enjoyed it

Where that fascination with Shakespeare came from?

(I promise to keep writing Chlex, but first I need to write the ass out of Clarky)
    Last edited by TrinityR; 2nd May 2013 at 23:53.

NS Full Member

This is too cute. I'm sure Lex really enjoy the verbal judo he have with Chloe and deep down, he admires her more than he would like to admit to Clark. I like the beginning and can't wait to see more of it.

Tyrarose: Thanks for the review, happy to hear that you liked it!

TrinityR: No, you haven't told me for several hours. I was feeling very unloved. The Shakespeare thing is just because I am English.

Trckyrcky: I think that this next chapter will probably answer the question of whether deep down he cares. Thanks for the review.

*Chapter Two*

“I … you … how … grrr!” Chloe spluttered in rage as her coffee was taken away from her, “How dare you take my coffee!” She complained running after him only to see Lex move it to the other arm and hold it out of her reach. Damn him and his long legs and arms!

“You shouldn’t be drinking coffee to start with, and defiantly not this strong on an empty stomach”, he informed her pleasantly as if she were a stroppy child whose antics he found amusing.

“Why you over bearing pompous jackass, you drink exactly the same stuff”, she started to defend herself to him before remembering that she didn’t have to, “and it isn’t your decision”, she covered her earlier slip and made to grab at the beverage again but found her wrist caught in a firm but gentle grip.

“Quite possibly but 1) I have an accelerated white blood cell count which protects me and 2) I am carrying scalding hot coffee. Make another ill-advised grab like that which could end up with you getting seriously burnt and I promise you, you will severely regret it”, he used her captured appendage to pull her closer to him, so that she could stare directly into her green eyes and she could feel his hot breath against her face. He didn’t ask if he had made himself clear; her pouting lower lip told him that he had.

“You stole my coffee”, she complained.

“What are you going to do?” He taunted her, “Tell on me?”

Chloe gave him a look which told him that she was considering it.

“Please, there is no way would Gabe be happy with the idea of you drinking this coffee before breakfast which I know that you haven’t had yet because you just invited Clark to join you and you wouldn’t be so cranky if you had eaten”, he announced.

“My moods are not solely determined by my blood sugar”, she protested.

“No, also by hormones and sleep”, he teased. He could not believe that he could still get a rise out of her so easily.

“You forgot your presence”, she retorted acidly.

“Well, I know that I have an unerring ability to calm you down and make you be reasonable but there is only so much I can do”, Lex smirked as he stroked the inside of the wrist which he still had in his possession. It was a nice wrist, he thought that he might keep it indefinitely.

Her eyes narrowed as she balled her free hand into a fist.

“Coffee Chloe”, Lex warned.

“I hate you”, she spat as her hand clenched and unclenched by her side.

“I know”, he gave her a kiss on the forehead. “Is it your plan to stand around all day in your pyjamas discussing your lost coffee with me in front of my friend or are you going to get changed so that we can have breakfast and in your case coffee?”

“Fuck”, she swore as she looked down at herself and realised that she was still in her skimpy PJs and that Clark was still there. “This isn’t over”, she warned Lex with a glare as she pulled her wrist out of his relaxed grip, excused herself to Clark and headed for the stairs.

“See what I mean about her being a complete and utter nightmare?” Lex asked Clark, regarding his friend with displeasure as he watched Chloe going up the stairs. As far as Lex was concerned there had been no great need for her to change until he had seen the interest Clark had been taking in her little cotton shorts.

“She seemed nice”, Clark said with a soppy smile.

“Just wait until you get to know her. A terror combined with a pest, and that is on her good days”, he wondered if there was a polite way of asking Clark to take that bloody eyes off Chloe’s backside.

“I heard that”, Chloe yelled from the top of the stairs.

“Good”, Lex called back, he took at exaggerated sip of the steaming brew in his hand and gave a sigh of contentment, “Ah delicious”.

Chloe stuck her tongue out at him through the floor as she could no longer see him.

“I saw that”, Lex announced, without having actually looked up.

“Ah, Lex my boy”, Gabe said striding out of the kitchen. “I thought that I recognised your dulcet tones”.

“Gabe”, Lex grinned and shook the older man’s hand before embracing him, “Thank-you for having me again”.

“Nonsense it was our pleasure”, Gabe smiled.

Lex looked at him incredulously.

“Well, okay, it was my pleasure and Chloe is putting up with you, but we both know that if you hadn’t come down here for the summer she would have decided that you were working yourself too hard and have gone to Metropolis herself and dragged you out of the office by your earlobe”, Gabe said, looking at the other man standing his the hallway and waiting for an introduction.

“That is her signature move”, Lex nodded. “And this is my friend Clark Kent”.

“Clark”, Gabe beamed, “I’ve heard a lot about you. Come in come in I was just making a big breakfast to welcome you boys, it should be ready in a few minutes and by then I imagine that my little angel will have reappeared”.

“Ah yes, your little angel. I last saw her when she was two and had the chicken pox. You don’t know what happened since then, do you?” Lex inquired, apparently in earnest.

“Some pesky boy wouldn’t leave her alone the entire time and kept trying to tell her stories, she’s been hiding ever since”, Gabe said.

Lex smiled slightly at the memory. It had been his first Christmas after the accident, when he was six years old and he had been filled with trepidation at the idea of going to stay with another family but tried to be brave. Gabe and his daughter had come to welcome him and he had felt more at home and part of a family within ten minutes than he had ever before. That day Chloe had been a quiet, sweet, if a bit boring little girl which Gabe had said at the time wasn’t a bit like her.

The next morning Lex had woken up with the larks – as was his wont -, got dressed etc and had just been going downstairs to see if there was something he could do around the house to help when he had thought that he had heard a sniffling sound. He had knocked on Chloe’s door softly but when the sniffling only grew louder he popped his head around asking if she wanted him to fetch her Dad to find her sitting in the middle of her bed covered in spots which were obviously making her itch terribly.

He had leapt into action telling her not to worry that it was just chicken pox and running to the medicine cabinet to get calamine lotion and pouring it all over her. Gone was the sniffling itchy little girl, she was a big pink sticky but happy mess a couple of minutes later when Lex had gone to fetch Gabe.

Gabe had been grateful to Lex for what Chloe had described as his ‘ewowiks’ – heroics he was guessing – and had completed all of his work from home that day so that he could stay with them and look after Chloe. Lex couldn’t imagine his father ever doing something like that and so was quite surprised that although happy to be with her father Chloe was sad not to be going to her beloved nursery that day. At first he thought that she was probably overly emotional due to her illness – which was partially true – but also, as she had explained with great patience because she was worried that she wouldn’t be able to be piglet in the Christmas show because she wouldn’t be able to practice. That was all that Lex needed to hear to whir into action. With a little ingenuity and a lot of papier-mâché Lex managed to construct a mock stage for her and did all of the other characters when she was lively enough to play and read to her from her story book when she wasn’t and when she got bored with those stories he made up new ones of the clever pretty princess and her bald knight who went on adventures.

“Yeah, I would hide from that weird-o too”, Lex acknowledged. He could still remember how happy he had been a week later when she was completely recovered and had turned into a stubborn opinionated two year old who said that she could read all by herself and that he was going to listen to her reading her book.

Gabe led his guests into the kitchen and Lex noticed that Chloe had ordered some work to be done on the house since it had officially been hers. He had to admit that he liked it; it was far lighter and airier. He smiled at the idea of the kitchen being somewhere that the entire family could congregate rather than just somewhere for the servants.

“I hope that you are both hungry, I cooked plenty”, Gabe indicated that they should take a seat at the small family table but both insisted on helping him carry over the food.

“Starving”, Lex assured him. “But how did you know that we were going to arrive this early?”

“Well, I told you that Chloe would be arriving late at night because she was going out on a much anticipated date … so I naturally assumed that you would come when you thought that she would still be in bed just to annoy her”, Gabe said as if this were perfectly reasonable behaviour.

“I thought of it more as a lesson in the possible morning after dangers of going out on dates”, Lex said with a shrug, trying to look calm.

“Yes well, don’t mention the date”, Gabe advised him.

“Why not? What happened? Did he hurt her?” Lex demanded and Clark took a step backwards. He knew that his friend was not all laughter and sunshine and that he scared many of his business partners, but he had never before really understood why. Now he had a glimpse of what they saw. The look in Lex’s eyes really was chilling.

“The bastard never turned up”, Gabe groused, seeming not to notice anything out of the ordinary in Lex’s reaction.

“What? Why not? Is he in hospital?” Lex questioned as he pulled out his cell phone.

“I would like to think so, but probably not. He just stood my little girl up, she waited for him for two hours before coming home”, Gabe looked furious, and hadn’t appeared to realise that this might not be information that Chloe wanted her father to tell her arch nemesis and his friend.

“Two hours?” Lex was almost shaking now. “Trust me, if he didn’t show up and didn’t even bother to call her it is because he is in hospital with a broken dialling finger and quite frankly I don’t think that even that counts as a good enough excuse”.

“Neither do I, but I don’t know of anything wrong with him”, Gabe tried to explain. He was upset by the matter which in his world meant baking and feeding Chloe to sooth him, he was a father after all.

“Other than the obvious mental problems”, Lex said.

“Well yes, other than that”, Gabe took his anger out on beating the eggs, imagining the bastards stupid blonde head was in the bowl.

“What was his name?”

Gabe looked at him strangely for one moment.

“Come on Gabe, we both know that if Chloe went out with someone even if it was while she was at Uni, you know his name and probably his social security number as well”, Lex looked at him expectantly.

Gabe gave a bashful smile and gave Lex the information he wanted.

“Right, back in a minute”, Lex said walking out into the garden as he called “someone”.

“So”, Gabe turned to Clark, who had finished moving the plates onto the table. “how do you like Smallville so far?”

“It’s really nice. Thank-you for having me”, Clark said, pleased to have something to say finally, he felt that he was intruding on a private family moment before.

Gabe waved off his thanks, “Don’t mention it. It is a small place but there should be enough to keep you occupied, if the constant floor show that Lex and my daughter seem to need to put on isn’t enough”.

Clark smiled, “Are they always like … well”, he tried to think of the words which wouldn’t offend his host, “this?”

With a chuckle Gabe replied, “Oh no, they are normally much worse. Give them a couple of days to really get back into insulting each other. I took them into Metropolis once by car – big mistake – three hours in the car with them arguing the entire way”.

“That must have been difficult”, Clark commiserated.

Gabe shrugged, “It wasn’t too bad actually. I learned a lot about the economic make-up of our country which is still standing me in good stead during that car ride and it all ended up alright”.

“They made up?”

“Well, not exactly, they never actually make up. This is their natural state. But a temporary cease fire was ordered when someone had the nerve to say that Lex was yucky and that she didn’t know how Chloe could stand to be near him let alone sometimes touch him what with his bald head and everything”, he scowled as he remembered the hurt look on little Lex’s face at the time.

“Chloe doesn’t seem like the kind of girl who would take that well”, Clark surmised.

“On the contrary, she took if very well and responded in a mature and ladylike fashion”, Gabe remembered fondly.

“I’m impressed”.

“So was I. She said, and I quote: ‘you can’t understand how I can stand to touch him? That is so funny because I was just about to ask your boyfriend the same question but oh wait … he left you didn’t he?’” Gabe smiled, “She then informed them – with considerable hauteur – that it was his character not his person to which she objected”.

“Sounds like she put them in their place”, Clark said.

“Yes”, Gabe beamed proudly.

At that moment Lex returned announcing, “It was just as I expected. He is in hospital with a broken wrist and dialling finger”.

“And that happened last night?” Clark wondered.

“That is what his papers will now say”, Lex gave a small smile. “This looks great Gabe”, he took another swig of his coffee which he had left on the table, “You have no idea just how good this is. So when is the darling little tyrant coming to join us?”

“Knowing her she is probably making you wait on purpose”, the tyrant’s father guessed.

“Probably”, Lex acknowledged.

“You are really in for it today, you do know that right? What were you thinking taking her coffee?” Gabe asked in wonderment, at the man’s audacity although thinking that Chloe probably deserved it as he worked out that she had snuck an entire cup before eating behind his back.

“No breakfast, no coffee, those are the rules”, Lex said taking another swig.

“And you have had your breakfast already?”

“No, not yet actually but I have an accelerated white blood cell count so …” Lex seemed to find his Italian designer leather shoes remarkably interesting.

“Lex”, Gabe raised an eyebrow.

“I’ll save the rest until later”, Lex put down his cup and they all sat down.

“I think that that would be for the best”, Gabe said and Clark gaped at the interaction. He had never seen Lex Luthor do as someone else said before. Hell, Gabe hadn’t actually even had to say anything! This was a revelation.

“Ah, I think that I heard my dainty little fairy coming”, Gabe said as they heard the unmistakable sounds of running above their head followed by what sounded like something being knocked over. “Yes, definitely mine”.

A few seconds later, Chloe came dashing through the kitchen and over to the table. She still wore no shoes but she had changed into a pretty sun dress which was a little more fitted than Lex would have liked and clung to her slightly damp skin. Her hair was loose and straight, the ends still slightly damp a testament to her lack of patience with the hair dryer. Her face looks subtly different as well but Lex had no idea why – Vaseline and a dab of mascara.

Lex instantly rose to pull out the chair next to him and Chloe knew that she had to take it with a, “Thank-you Lex. I see your new friend has taught you some manners”.

“I see that University has finally made you invest in some dresses. Thinking of trying to be a girl for once?” He shot back without thinking.

“I am a girl, but a girl can wear shorts if she wants … a lady doesn’t show her panties when she goes tree climbing”, she referred to the childhood hobby that Lex had taught her and then deplored when she started to climb higher and higher with no thought for her neck. Needless to say, informing her that it was hardly a lady like pastime had done little to dissuade her, but he thought that he would give it another try just in case she got it into her head to take up the occupation again.

“I don’t think that ladies go trees climbing”, Lex pointed out.

“Well I do, so they must”, Chloe pointed out.

“Fair point”, Lex conceded and bent his head as Gabe motioned to him that he was about to start the blessing. That part at least went by without incident.

The table was groaning with food. There was porridge, muffins, some fresh fruit and bacon and eggs and steaming coffee. Once the order, “Dig in everyone”, was given Chloe reached across Lex for the muffins and coffee only to find hers wrist being gently patted.

“Porridge first”, Lex reminded her.

“And you fu … hi Dad, snicker-doodling serious? You are really trying to tell me what I may and may not eat?” Chloe expostulated.

“No, of course not. Just the order in which you eat it. Breakfast goes: porridge first, then bacon and eggs then muffin if you still have room”, Lex said putting his arm casual across the back of her chair.

“Lex, are you being serious?”

“Absolutely”, he leant in and whispered in her ear, “I saw the results of your last visit to the doctors. You haven’t been looking after yourself and your anaemia is back”.

“It is only slight anaemia”, she hissed back being careful not to let anyone else over hear.

“So”, Lex pointedly ignored her interruption, “unless you want me to tell your father then you are going to do things properly and stop - how did you put it? – ah yes, snicker-doodling around”. He stayed close to her for a few more seconds until he was absolutely certain that she had grasped the situation, and then he pulled back with a smile.

Gabe raised an eyebrow and internally debated with himself whether he thought that it would be more likely that she hit Lex or gave in. It was difficult to tell, especially when he no idea what he had said. They were always finding out information to blackmail each other with though so this wasn’t new to him.

“Mother snicker-doodler”, she hissed at him but did reach out for the porridge this time only to have Lex say, “Allow me”, and pour her far more than she actually wanted.

“My my Lex, you are looking rather pale my darling”, she cooed over him, not even making the vaguest attempt to sound sincere. “It is probably a lack of adequate nourishment. Allow me to help you”, she poured him porridge – even more than he had given her.

“Thank-you that was very helpful”, he gave her an irritatingly smug smile, making it clear that he was in control and that she wasn’t going to get a rise out of him that way.

Whilst watching this Clark and Gabe both helped themselves to some porridge as well with fresh fruit. Gabe had missed Chloe and Lex’s antics.

“Chloe, would you like some Chloe Honey, sweetheart?” Her father inquired.

“Chloe Honey?” Clark inquired as Chloe gratefully accepted a squeezable bottle from her father and drowned her porridge with nectar.

“It is a brand of honey grown around here by the Luthor Corp”, Gabe explained. “The fete that is in town today was here around Chloe’s seventh birthday when Lex was eleven. Well, there was an enormous Winnie the Pooh cuddly toy on one of those ring toss games and Chloe’s eyes light up when she saw it so naturally Lex spend an hour and well close to two hundred dollars to win it for her. No sooner has she got it and was cuddling it than a horrible bee came over and stung her”.

“Oh dear”, Clark put in, feeling that some response was expected from him. “Probably attracted to the yellow of Pooh Bear”.

“That is our hypothesis”, Gabe nodded gravely, “Well naturally Lex smacked it to death and we both kissed the boo boo better but, not feeling that the bee really understood the gravity of his misdemeanour, Lex decided to have all of the bees in the area who could possibly have been related to that one taken and put into honey producing hives so that his entire family and all succeeding generations will be slaves. The range of honey produced is called Chloe Honey”, he took the pot back off Chloe and showed the front of it to Clark. There was a drawing – obviously done by a child – of a cute little girl with blonde curls who could have been Chloe. In the bottom right hand corner of the picture were the initials, presumably the artist’s, L.L.

“I hope that they learnt their lesson and that your arm recovered quickly”, Clark said, privately thinking that there was just the slightest possibility that the two men had over reacted a little bit to what sounded like a rather minor injury. But, having seen how they both regarded Chloe, he wisely decided to keep this opinion to himself.

“We can only hope so”, Lex nodded, keeping one eye on Chloe and her progress through her porridge. He had seen her bills from this last year, and had had someone go back through them – especially the shopping ones, in light of her anaemia – and work out her daily ingestion of vitamins, minerals – especially iron – and protein and he was not impressed. It appeared that Chloe had been making little to no effort to eat healthily; it was no wonder that her anaemia had come back since she had moved to University.

Seeing that it was half gone he poured her an enormous mug of coffee and handed it over to her.

“Thank-you”, she said gratefully and inhaled deeply before taking her first sip. “This is even better than the one you stole from me”.

“It will be, it was allowed to sit. Some things are better for the wait”, he commented as he soldiered on through his own breakfast. Was it really necessary for her to give him this much? His normal breakfast was just black coffee. Still, he wouldn’t give in.

“Yeah, those are the words of a lazy person”, Chloe sniped.

“Impatient brat”, he muttered.

“Old fogy”.

“Ah, I sense another lovely family day coming”, Gabe grinned.

A/N: Questions for the chapter: 1) did Chloe have the right to deny him entrance to the house? 2) Did he have the right take her coffee cup? 3) Deep down, do they like each other? 4) Anything else you fancy discussing.

They LOVe each other!! It's so obvious, but they're such idiots that don't see it!!
    Oh my... if that is NC17 then when they actually come down to doing it in that state of constant argument and chemistry... uhm should I buy a fan?? I think it'll be too hot and they seriously need to f*** it out ;p

I like Shakespeare, I don't mind. I love Romeo & Juliet, read it a few times few years back. And I actually even saw a movie Much Ado About Nothing (my embarassing crush on Keanu Reeves forced me to;/ Now I can't stand the actor, but oh, well, teenage crushes ...) and I love Keneth Branagh with Emma Thompson! She was so pretty back there.

NS Full Member

Yes, Lex is definitely in love with Chloe and Clark better watch out and be smart not to make any move on Chloe or he will be the Ex-Best Friend!

*Chapter Three*

“So what are you going to do today? Going to the fair?” Gabe inquired as they all finished up their porridge and passed the bowls down to the end of the table where Chloe stood to move them to the dishwasher but Clark beat her to it, with an, “Allow me”.

“You are very kind”, Chloe gave him a winning smile and Lex scowled.

“Yes, that was the plan”, Lex admitted. “I wanted Clark to get a real sense of Smallville and I think that the combination corn festival and farmers’ market is the best way to do that”.

“I know that Chloe was planning on going to that”, Gabe put in happily. “That will work out nicely, I have to go into the office for a few hours today and you know that I don’t like her going to those sorts of things alone”

“Dad”, Chloe groaned.

“Is Smallville a very dangerous place then?” Clark wondered.

“No, we have a crime rate of zero other than the scarecrow prank every year”, Chloe said.

“We do have a very low crime rate but it is the morning after the big game and a lot of the teenagers are still a little over excited, there are a lot of people and well I would just feel better if Chloe didn’t go around alone. A pretty young girl always attracted undue attention”, Gabe explained. Logically he knew that Chloe would be fine, but he just didn’t like the idea of a bunch of rowdy teenaged boys around her. They never got her sarcastic put downs but they normally got Lex’s ‘your parents are about to be fired and spend the rest of their lives looking for your corpse’ glare. Gabe wondered if that was something that could be taught.

Chloe was so busy wanting her bowl of porridge back so that she could bury her face in it and escape the embarrassment of her father infantilising her in front of the new cute boy, that she didn’t notice that Lex was piling a plate high with bacon and eggs and placing it in front of her.

“For energy”, he said before she could object, “as I am sure that you are going to make me go on the helter skelter again”.

Chloe grinned at him. “Yes!” Spending the day with Lex might not be so bad after all, “Just as long as you are not going to try to ruin our day out like you have in the past”.

Lex rolled his eyes, “Here we go again!”

“I don’t understand why you would …”

“Your breakfasts are getting cold”, Gabe reminded them both with a smile, which was Daddy code for you can discuss this matter later once you both have full tummies.

“Indeed”, Lex said, getting a plate for himself and beginning to eat.

“You got us in trouble”, Chloe hissed as she nibbled her egg.

Lex scoffed at the idea that Chloe considered that to be a stern rebuke – Gabe really was a very soft father -, Lex continuously threatened her and she never paid the slightest bit of attention to him.

“There are rides at this fete?” Clark asked, trying to stop them entering into combat again.

“Oh yes”, Chloe perked up. “The corn festival is just the normal thing; people bring corn from all over the place, a couple of competitions and a load of girls vie for the corn crown”.

“Which Chloe religiously mocks”, Lex put in.

“While Lex fawns all over the contestants”, Chloe rolled her eyes.

“I do not fawn”, Lex protested, “generally I am there mocking with you. One of them came over to us once and you tripped her up for no reason”.

“I had a reason”, everyone stared at her, “and I didn’t trip her up!”

Lex made a noise which sounded like harrumph, before continuing, “I just helped her up and pointed her in the right direction which is all that she wanted in the first place”.

“Sure it was”, she snapped, “I might have known that you would take her side”.

“She wanted to know where the doughnut stand was”, Lex said.

“Oh, of course she did. She weighed barely 90 pounds and she was almost the same height as you and this”, Chloe turned to Lex and pressed her breasts against his arm and fluttered her eyelashes, “is not how you ask for directions”, she imitated the girl’s husky voice. “This is how you ask for directions”, she sat back in her seat and asked, “Excuse me person I have never met before, I am terribly sorry to bother you when you are obviously in the middle of a very important conversation with someone else and there are plenty of other people I could ask, do you know where I might find the doughnut stall?”

“I don’t think that you would ever have a problem finding junk food”, Lex rolled his eyes.

“Are you saying that I am fat?” Chloe demanded, actually looking a little hurt. Gabe briefly considered throwing something at Lex while Clark wanted to hug Chloe all of a sudden.

“Of course I’m not. Don’t try that manipulative big eyed crap on me, we all know that you aren’t fat and you aren’t making me forget that you were being a brat because I said something that could be misinterpreted if you were a complete idiot and blind”.

“I’m not being manipulative”, Chloe protested, unable to comprehend why he would say something like that.

“Of course you are. You, nor anyone else, could possibly think that you were fat or that I thought that you were. Which quite frankly considering that you eat nothing but junk food is a miracle. Besides, I would hardly be trying to feed you up if you were overweight would I?” Lex was annoyed.

“So you don’t think that I’m fat?” She asked with wide eyes; that wasn’t the impression that he had been giving her before.

Lex looked at her disbelievingly, “Are you trying to make me so angry that I put you in the corner and you don’t have to finish your eggs and bacon and have more room for crap?”

“No, I’m not going in the corner”, she flared up.

“Then eat your breakfast and shut up”, Lex said, privately thinking that she was going to end up in a corner by the end of the day. He had never actually followed through on the threat yet, but he had a feeling that today might be the day.

“So other than the corn queen extravaganza where I understand mocking is obligatory, what else is there?” Clark asked, wondering how Lex thought that he was going to get Chloe into a corner.

“Well then there is the weekly farmers’ market which is always great especially as they make a bit of a special effort with the cakes and stuff and knick knacks as they know that so many people are coming for the fete”, Chloe smiled as she thought of the stalls, she hoped that the butterfly stall was there again.

“Chloe has a love of useless knick knacks”, Lex supplied helpfully.

“Well, you don’t have to buy her everything that catches her eye”, Gabe pointed out, “she stopped even saying out loud when she likes something or thinks that it is pretty because she knows that when she gets home she will have several of them”.

Clark looked over at his friend and saw him studying his piece of bacon intently.

“Lex was just trying to support local businesses”, Chloe stood up for him.

Clark smiled, now he got how it worked. If you wanted them to stop arguing, just pick on one of them. The other would immediately jump to their defence.

Lex flashed her a grateful smile and she appeared to soften.

“Is that why he tries out all of the rides even though he hates feeling out of control?” Gabe asked innocently.

“Probably!”

“Really, I thought that it was because a little girl that I know liked them and demanded that he come on every single one with her”, Gabe suggested with a twinkle in his eye.

“Lois can be very demanding”, Chloe nodded, pretending not to know to whom her father was actually referring.

Lex smirked, “Lois went down the helter skelter on her own mat”.

“I only went down with you so that you wouldn’t be scared”, Chloe explained.

“How kind of you”, Lex smiled back. “That long, dark, spider filled, creaky, rickety stair case could be very scary, it was extremely nice of you to let me hold your hand up there every year but I think that I am big enough to go by myself I would hate to put you out”.

“Good”, Chloe looked awkward, “because it is extremely inconvenient especially as your hand is always overly hot”.

“As opposed to that icicle you call a hand”.

“My hands are normal temperature”, she put one against her cheek just to double check. Yes, absolutely normal, a little cool, but that was normal.

“For a dead eskimo”, Lex muttered.

“Only because you are overly hot”, she shot back.

“I didn’t think that you had noticed”, he gave her a wink, “that is why you try to drain my body heat”

“Just being helpful”, she said with a shrug, “otherwise you might overheat. You know, being all hot and sweaty”, she leant over displaying more cleavage that was warranted “never ends well”.

Lex chocked at that.

Chloe patted him on the back. She looked at him with big innocent eyes, “Are you alright Lex?” She asked, as he nails grazed up and down his spine making him shiver.

“Never better”.

“Are you absolutely sure?” She asked as the hand which wasn’t tracing patterns on his back rested on his knee.

“Fine”, he looked a little pink.

“Really? You look a little flushed”, her hand trailed over his smooth scalp to feel his forehead.

“Chloe, I promise you that I am absolutely fine. A bit of food just went down the wrong pipe, that is all”, he removed her hand from his head and, surreptitiously, the one from his knee as well and placed them both back in her lap and gave them a pat. “But thank-you for the concern, I must remember to return the favour some time”.

She gulped and went a little pink herself.

“Aw, isn’t that nice you have both eaten up like good children and are getting along for a few minutes”, Gabe smiled, “would any of you care of a muffin?”

“Yes, but I haven’t got any more room”, Chloe looked genuinely forlorn, as both Clark and Lex shook their heads to indicate that they too were full.

Lex reached across for one though and wrapped it up in napkin, “You can put it in your ridiculously oversized bag that I will no doubt end up carrying”.

Chloe smiled at that idea, wondering why she hadn’t thought of it.

“Maybe it will keep you away from the sugar dummies and cotton candy”.

“Okay”, Chloe capitulated, “but not the doughnuts”.

“Fair enough”, Lex said with a shrug.

“You know Lex, you don’t have to insist on carrying her bag”, Gabe suggested.

“But she always gets so much stuff …” Lex couldn’t follow that logic. He could hardly watch her struggling along with her heavy bag.

“Is that before or after you buy her half off the stalls?” Gabe inquired.

“I don’t want her to get a bad back or shoulder lugging it around”, Lex said with a shrug.

Gabe smiled. “Makes sense to me”.

Clark shook his head, also smiling. “Anything else that I should know about the fete?”

“Um … corn festival, mock the Corn Queen, good food, knick knacks, get Lex to carry bag, more nice food, go on the rides then more food, out through the petting zoo, more nice food complain that I am tired and want to come home … then on the way back to the car see face painters and make Lex get his face done”, she ticked the events off on her fingers. “That is about it”.

“That last one is not going to happen this year”, Lex told her, “and as you have eaten a proper breakfast and have a proper snack then hopefully we won’t have to feed you every 30 minutes because your sugar rush is over”.

“We’ll see”, Chloe said referring to Lex getting his face painted.

“Not happening.”

“But it’s tradition”, she gave him a mock pout.

“I repeat, it is not happening”. Honestly, this was ridiculous. He could scare any businessman in the world, manipulate any politician, and control just about anyone … but this chit always got to him.

Clark shook his head smiling, even Chloe wasn’t going to win this one. “Bet you a muffin that she gets him to do it”, Gabe leant over and whispered to him. “You’re on”.

“Please Lex”, Chloe stuck out her bottom lip further.

“No”.

“Lex”, her voice sounded needy.

“Chloe, no”, he said sternly, making the mistake of looking directly at her as he did so. She made her eyes large and needy, and placed a hand on his knee.

“Lex, please”, her voice was so filled with yearning that it made him ache. God he was weak when it came to her. He held out for as long as he could, maybe one or two seconds before giving into her with ill grace, “Oh fine, I’ll have my sodding face painted but not as a butterfly this time”.

Chloe grinned and clapped her hands as Clark took one of the muffins off the plate in the centre of the table and handed it over to Gabe who took his prize with obvious pleasure.

“And as a butterfly”, she added, “unless I see something even prettier”.

Lex growled.

“Well kiddie winks, I think that it is time that I was off to work. Have fun and make sure that you have lots of stories ready for when I get back tonight. Clark have fun and welcome to Smallville. Lex, remember that it is not your job to buy everything there. Chloe, keep the boys in line”, Gabe instructed.

“Will do”, Chloe said as she got up to hug and kiss her father goodbye for the morning.

Once Gabe had left and the maid had come in to start clearing things away from breakfast, Chloe asked them, “Do you need some time before we get going?”

They both looked at each other before shaking their heads.

“Good”, she smiled, “my car is ready to go”.

Lex shook his head, “Hell no. We are taking my car!”

“Like hell we are. I am not going to around in something which says Lex XL on it. I know for a fact that it isn’t your fortieth car and it makes girls come over and say”, she put on her overly breathy voice, “Is it true? Is it really XL?”

Clark sniggered; he had never noticed how that could be misread before.

Lex smirked, “I hadn’t noticed that reaction, it is rather odd that you notice when women are attracted to me so much. Why so interested Chloe? Something you like?”

“Please, don’t flatter yourself. But Daddy said that I am in charge of you for the day”, she grinned.

“Yeah, true. Didn’t say anything about this though”, Lex said throwing Chloe over one shoulder and heading for the door. “We are taking my car. Are you coming Clark?”

“Um, yeah”, Clark followed them, rather surprised by the string of profanity which came out of Chloe.

“My car, my car, we should be taking my car. I’m in charge here”, she finished her rant off.

“If that is what you want to believe”, Lex said easily.

“Caveman”.

“Brat”.

“You know that the cavemen went extinct for a reason, don’t you?”

“You know what happens to brats don’t you?”

A/N: So, thoughts? Feelings? Anything generally on your mind?

How can he hate her?! SHE'S ALL HIS WORLD!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information