+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Far Away (R)

NS Full Member
    Did Lex really think he could spy on her without her knowing? Don't underestimate Chloe. :biggrin:

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    :hehe: I knew Chloe was to smart for her own good.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar
    Originally posted by Blaire023@Nov 4 2003, 05:29 AM
    He had underestimated her friendship. For truth and honesty and out of love for the boy she had fallen in love with and the man who constantly made her question herself. Her loyal friendship had obviously meant nothing to him, for his was anything but. She could turn away from the fact that he didn't love her as she loved him. She had gone through the same with her mother. Looking for an unconditional love that wasn't ready to be handed to her.
    I loved this whole chapter but this section was just wonderful! Not only was everything she says about Clunk true, I love your parallel with her mother. That was a very poignant comparasson. Both are people that Chloe has loved and striven to gain their unconditional love, yet both of them ar ethe one's who are unworthy of her love!!!

Like everyone else, I enjoyed Chloe knowing about Lex's spying habits! I can just imagine the look on his face when she waved!!! :biggrin: Priceless!

Can't wait for more!

i love it when they team up and decide to take on The Bastard.
    i love this story!

randa

Fic Tease Senior Member Blaire023's Avatar
    Chapter 3

It's a long way down
    On this roller coaster

Months seemed to pass in intervals which left Chloe's head spinning. It seemed to her that as the winter came in full blast, she forgot her coat and gloves as often as she forgot what her full priorities were. Working for and with Lex had challenged her in every way. As winter break rushed upon her she refused to let the slight break in tasks dull her.

Still in the afternoons she sought shelter in her room at the Luthor estate. Tucked safely away from everything but his wandering eye, she worked diligently, efficiently. She called in favors that were impeding even to her and collected as much information on the elder Luthor as she could. Still her meetings with Lionel came and went.

Lex watched as she paced in his office, seated pristinely behind his desk he waited for her to open with conversation. She stopped abruptly and sank down into the chair across from him. "He's not buying it." She said absently as she twisted a gold chain of necklace around her finger.

"Who's not buying what exactly?" His cool demeanor caught her off guard. In her mind she had kept him up to date, but she realized up until now it had all been fantasy. Lex Luthor didn't even know what she was delivering to his father during their brief encounters. With a slow awkwardness she told him everything. From beginning to end he watched with unattached amusement, making her nerves grow steadier by each moment. By the time she had relayed every bit of information of Clark she had and what she had given his father, and what she had given herself, both his eyebrows were raised with definitive interest.

"You think he's aware that you know more than you're leading him to beleive, is that it?"

His question had her staring back at him unwavering. "Well, yeah. That and each time he sees me he asks about my well being. Since when does he care what I look like?" She shot back at him.

"Chloe." Lex stood and rounded the desk only to lean back against it once he stood in front of her. His fingers tapped lightly behind him on the glass top. "You don't look yourself. Your eyes have lost any sparkle they once had, your mouth turns down in a frown more than it smiles and if I'm not mistaken, you've taken up anorexia because I hardly ever see you eat anything I have delivered to you." With a frown he pushed away from the desk and crouched down in front of her, resting his hands on her knees. "We've been in this situation for some time now, four months and two weeks to be exact. I've seen the transition from your glow to this dim shade of gray your skin has contracted. I know it's hard on you, but you need to take a break. If you don't, you're going to burn yourself out."

Chloe felt her eyes fill with tears. No one else had brought her current state to her attention. She saw herself every morning in the mirror and her eyes mirrored her inward confession. She was falling apart. For periods of time she felt the darkness creep into her and just settle. In those spurts of trances she went about her normal every day life. Grades were average, Torch business went along as usual. Everything went as planned, except for the thinking about herself. It wasn't that she wasn't hungry, it wasn't that after a shower she comb her hair and that'd be that. It was just that she didn't care anymore. Not about Clark, not about herself, not about her deal with Lionel Luthor. What she did care about was her father, his expectations of her, the niggling sense of doubt at the back of his mind that she wasn't taking care of herself. So she looked up and into cobalt eyes and asked the question that she saw reflected there. "How?"

His confused state had his eyes shifting, looking into her right eye, then her left. "How what?"

She shook her head, she was doing it again. She was acting out whole conversations with him and then getting upset more at herself than him when he didn't know what she was talking about. "How do I take a break?"

With a thoughfulness she'd come to appreciate Lex rocked back on his heels, and then stood up staring down at her, his hands slipped comfortably back into his pockets. "Get away from here. Away from your worries, everything that's locked up here." He leaned down in front of her and tapped the tip of his index hinger to her temple. "Take a vacation, Chloe." Her name was whispered as his hand rested on her shoulder and squeezed.

Dumbly, she nodded and stood up, slinging her bag over her shoulder and walking to the door, not sparing him a glance.

The last chance streetcar
    Went off the track
    And you're on it

Lex's mouth dropped open as he watched her walk out the door to his office, 'What the fuck?' He was sure he'd said it out loud as he had in his head. "Chloe." He jogged toward the doorand down the steps, taking them two at a time. Flinging open the oak doors, a cold chill whipped past him and through the long hall behind him. He simply stared. She sat there, with her arms hugging her knees to her, her barely covered ass planted firmly on a rough stone step. He inhaled a thanks to a higher being for not letting her get any farther. Tentatively, he reached out and touched her shoulder. The look she shot him over her shoulder had him swallowing every response he'd concocted. She looked...

She looked completely lost in a world entirely too big for her. "Chloe." He felt his face harden, what he wanted to do was sink down beside her and ask her if she was lost, if she knew where her mommy was. Instinct told him she was beyond reason to any sympathetic tones. "Get up and come back inside." Deliberately he pushed down the want, the need to gather her up in his arms like a ragdoll and take her back to her room. Lay her on the couch and build a fire for her. Instead his hand tightened on her shoulder and she stood. She turned and walked past him, back into the house. So quietly, so peacefully, he had to keep his eyes trained on her to make sure she was real.

Shutting the door and locking the cold out he walked over to her, where she had simply froze at the bottom of the steps looking up them. "Let me take you somewhere." Lex said quietly, he reasoned with himself that he had gotten her inside safely and that now he could let the little part of him that needed to nurture her so bad, out of it's cage. "Do you trust me, Chloe?"

Her eyes met his breifly before she nodded and looked back down the hallway. With a half smile he ran his hands down her arms to warm them and then tipped her chin up, leveling her eyes with his. "Say it." He demanded.

Chloe felt a small whimper escape her throat before she conceded. "I trust you."

He nodded sharply and gripped her wrist with his hand, leading her down the maze of halls that veered off from eachother. Quickly he passed room by room, "All this." he said motioning with his free hand. "It all leads back to the same place." He pulled her down one hallway and then rounded the corner and with a few more turns the ended back up where the started at and she saw the front door from the end of the hall. "No matter which way you go, given time, you'll always end up back where you started. This." He stepped away from her and smiled. "Is my present to you. All these rooms are at your disposal." His eyes flickered with amusement as she gasped and turned to look back down the hallway they had come from. "All of it is your own private getaway. Should you need anything," he pushed a remote into her hand. "This doubles as a panic alarm. Food, drink, directions. All of it is at the tip of your fingertips."

A few tears rolled down her face as she traced the bright red button on the tiny remote. "Thanks." She whispered and found herself pressing her face into the muscle of his chest, cradling her head against the material, his hands were strong around her, holding her there as he swayed her side to side. The movement so little she wasn't even sure it was happening. To thank him she pulled back away from him, his grip on her loosened and she stood up to him, resting her palms on the front of his shirt, her lips brushed his. Her lips parted, her breath came in a steady flow as her lips brushed his again, "Thanks." She whispered and stepped back, and smiled. Lex watched her smile. And then she cautiously set off on her own path down the hallway, testing knobs along her way.

Carefully he turned away from her and reflexively ran his tongue over his bottom lip. That was something to think about.

TBC...

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Oh wow Blaire great update. I feel so bad for Chloe.

Hope :chlexsign2:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Poor Chloe! She must feel so used by everybody. It was so nice for Lex to give her the rooms where she could escape! :biggrin: I really want Lex to be able to save Chloe! This story is great but I really wish it wasn't in the angst section!! :chlexsign3:

NS Full Member
    This story is so good. It just seems so realistic concerning how she feels and how she handles how she feels.

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar
    :biggrin: great plot thickening!!!!! loved lexs gift, and chloes reactions to her life. keep it comeing!!

see spot snark Senior Member happy bunny's Avatar
    Wow. This is really good. How you describe Chloe and her emotions are spot on. I can see her acting just the way you described. I love that Lex wants to help her and I really hope he can. Great job. Can't wait for more of this.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information