View Poll Results: Which story is your favourite?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Story 1

2 16.67%
  • Story 2

4 33.33%
  • Story 3

6 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NS Monthly Challenge - #14 November 2010 - "Hidden Reflected Confessions" Entries

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

NS Monthly Challenge - #14 November 2010 - "Hidden Reflected Confessions" Entries

The challenge was:

Fanfiction Challenge November 2010 “Hidden Reflected Confessions”

The keywords for this month’s challenge are: hidden, confession, reflection

No duck?

Nope, this time it’s reflection!

It can be incorporated as simply as Chloe/Lex looking at herself/himself in the mirror. Or perhaps something like “the letter was a reflection of her/him-self”. Or there was a reflection of something in a pond. The confession can be about love, a lie, or anything else really! As for hidden; A letter written but opened too late, a gift with a double/hidden meaning...

Entries

Story 1
    Story 2
    Story 3

Voting

Voting ends on December 15th at 11:59pm Oslo, Norway time.
    Last edited by Julie; 4th December 2010 at 14:59.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Re: NS Monthly Challenge - #14 November 2010 - "Hidden Reflected Confessions" Entries

Story 1:Where I Stood

Comments: This is a spin of why Chloe left and what she was thinking when she left...
    Warning: A large part of Chloe's reflections are mistakes she felt she made with Clark.

Disclaimer: I do not own any part of this fic. Smallville, its characters, plots, ideas, etc. are all owned by someone else, not me. No infringement is intended!

Rating: PG-13

A/N: Title is from Missy Higgins’ song, ‘Where I Stood’ – I do not own it either. I do like the song though. J Link to lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/missy...ereistood.html

Spoilers: Season 9 and Chloe’s transformation into Watchtower over Clark that leads to her decision to leave.

Chloe POV/Reflection:
    I don’t know what I’ve done
    Or if I like what I’ve begun
    But something told me to run
    And honey you know me it’s all or none

Decisions to help the world keep from ending, from trusting Clark to help us…anger and bitterness over the things that happened, some of which were his fault…others? Could I really blame him for Jimmy’s death? I chose to follow Doomsday, to help him because I thought he was a good guy deep down. The truth of the matter was, I was attracted to him. Something grew in me when Jimmy died. Clark couldn’t bring him back…deep down I knew that, but I was grieving. I was hurting. So I blamed him.

I have a confession: for the past year, I’ve done nothing but follow behind Clark, second guessing everything he’s done because I felt that if he couldn’t bring back Jimmy, how could I trust that he would be able to save anyone else? I told him that he wasn’t human anymore. But was that fair of me to say? He did save me from the Fortress…he did tell me his secret when he was terrified of telling it to anyone…he trusted me. And I betrayed him. Didn’t I? How could I call myself a friend when I was too willing to back-talk him to Ollie?

There were sounds in my head
    Little voices whispering
    That I should go and this should end
    Oh and I found myself listening

‘You aren’t the same Chloe you were… You’ve changed and become bitter. It’s better to leave Smallville. Let Oliver and Lois take over. He already trusts Lois more than me and it’s my fault.’

I look around Smallville and think about how much I’ve changed since I rode the bus in high school and met Clark and Pete at school…

Walking to the park bench to await the city bus, I sit down. It’s started raining and I feel it over my overcoat. It’s cold…and I feel colder inside. I screwed up my friendships so badly that I know when I leave nobody will care. I did this to myself. That statement doesn’t stop me from feeling like something has whammed into my stomach and left it hurting, horribly hurting.

‘Cos I don’t know who I am, who I am without you
    All I know is that I should
    And I don’t know if I can stand another hand upon you
    All I know is that I should
    ‘Cos she will love you more than I could
    She who dared to stand where I stood

I’ve seen Lois get ready to go out with you. I’ve seen her look at you and how much she enjoys hanging out with you. I know she loves you. While I stepped back and worked the Watchtower, Lois stepped in. She became your best friend. It hurts like crazy because I wanted to stay your best friend. I wanted to be the person you talked to about things…and I cut that off when I decided to play Big Sister. But Lois is the one you talk to, she’s your best friend, and I should be happy that she is! Just like I was happy when you were with Lana…but I’m not. Instead of a happy friend I’ve become a hidden miserable mole!

The bus arrives and I hold onto the cold banister and walk up the metal steps. I pay the fee and walk back to a seat and sit my butt down, then look down at my purse in my lap. I look outside and see your logo on a wall, the big S. My lump in my throat is so painful it aches and when I touch it with my hand it feels like a rock.

I’m heading to Florida, to start over. I have to figure out who I am. I have to start over somewhere else, and then come back when I’m not ashamed of myself.

And I won’t be far from where you are if ever you should call
    You meant more to me than anyone I ever loved at all
    But you taught me how to trust myself and so I say to you
    This is what I have to do

Lois will be there for you Clark, I think to myself with a smile. She will help you get through all this stuff going on.

‘Cos she will love you more than I could
    Oh, she who dares to stand where I stood...

As soon as I leave the bus, I know that coming here was right. Coming to Florida, leaving Smallville and the life I messed up there. I take a deep breath and let it out. Air through the lungs, heat on my body, I feel wonderful!

Sitting at a table at the park, Lex Luthor enjoying a few minutes where all he has to do is read the comics. I see him in his jeans and a black blazer and purple shirt. He looks up at me and says, “Hey Chloe. I got here a little early expecting your bus any time.”

I walk forward and say,”Thanks. It got here earlier than I thought it would.”

Lex said sincerely, “Well I’m glad you’re here. We can start over together just like we talked about in the email.”

Chloe sat next to him on the bench and said, “That sounds great.”

As the palm trees blew in the background, Lex looked into Chloe’s eyes and said from his heart, “I love you, Chloe.”

Smiling gigantically, shocked as hell, Chloe replied from hers, “I love you too, Lex.”

As the birds flew in the sky, Lex kissed Chloe…

The End.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Re: NS Monthly Challenge - #14 November 2010 - "Hidden Reflected Confessions" Entries

Story 2: Resolute

Comments: Follow-up to “Unflinching”, which can be found here:http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/...l=1#post252402

Once again, Chloe found herself musing on the vagaries of life. Most days, she came to the conclusion that it was the million small things that made life unbearable. The other times it was the one or two big things that blindsided her in its intensity. The moments of pure, complicated errors in judgment or events that made themselves known in the worst way possible were the ones that got to her. Chloe could deal with the big things. The only problem was that sometimes she just didn’t want to deal with them. Even when she was tired of facing her issues, she knew she would never fail to rise to the challenge.

It was with this grim determination that she took in the full situation. Once again, she was in this soulless, dark place. The over-sterilized surfaces greeted her. They didn’t inspire her confidence or any kind of feeling of warmth. It was foreboding and off-putting. She knew that this place would be warmer. It could be welcoming, but that was not the intent. The surfaces were polished to a mirror shine. The properly appointed lights over head illuminated and cast an impersonal glow on the room. The receptionist barely acknowledged her presence. Chloe’s name and purpose had already been taken and now it was a matter of waiting to be called.

Gazing at the floor, she could make out her features. She wouldn’t say that she looked haggard, but she knew she didn’t look her best. For these kinds of appointments, she didn’t particularly care about impressing anyone. There was a time when this place would not have been cold and unfeeling. It was, of course, a reflection of the people who frequented this place. It was a certain class of people. She didn’t count herself amongst them; but since she was here, she was clearly one of those people.

There was a time when she would’ve been too uncomfortable. A time when she would’ve fidgeted and otherwise made a nuisance of herself. Of course, such a time would’ve also been wrapped up in anticipation of what lay at the end. She would’ve relished the conflict even as the anxiety drove her to distraction. Time and maturity had made a different person of her. She got her thrills and her fulfillment, but it wasn’t due confrontation for confrontation’s sake. Chloe had the purpose and focus that had been missing from her younger self and it was only the natural course of things. This was growth and a lifetime of experience and she would trade it for nothing.

Sometimes she wondered how she got to places such as these. Sometimes she wondered how she could change her life to avoid these particular complications. But in a fit of self-awareness, Chloe realized that other than these times, she was happy. She didn’t seek these complications out anymore, but they were hers until the end. She would own the mistake that led her to this point. She would own the decision that compensated for the mistake. But more importantly, the consequences would be hers too. She would accept it all.

Chloe knew that singular moment would revisit her. She couldn’t have known that it would knock on her life now or in this manner; but she knew it would come. There was no mental preparation. How could there be? But Chloe was not particularly surprised and she had been able to get her life in order if not her emotions. It had been interesting really.

So lost in thought was she that it took the receptionist two tries to get her attention. If Chloe had not been sure before, then she was definitely certain that the receptionist held no interest whatsoever in her job or the service she was providing. It was something of an oddity, but Chloe honestly didn’t care. She stood and walked towards the office door. Her shadow on the polished tile marked her progress towards the office door and was the only witness to her silent reassurances to herself.

Chloe walked into Lex’s office and remembered a time when he wasn’t this person. There was a time when his office had windows that let in the sun and it was bright and brilliant. Now, his windows let in the sun but it wasn’t to enhance the feeling of invitation. It was to project power. The reflected surfaces of his chrome and glass modern office were grim. He used to like majestic wood to convey his power. Now it was like staring into the dark, dead eyes of a machine. There was nothing there. No connection was possible and that was the way he wanted things now.

She knew that walls of his office held kryptonite. It was enough to keep Superman away from him. The construction of his new office building was spared no expense. He’d flown in some Swedish architect that had a few projects going in development in Dubai. This building was his obelisk of Ozymandias. he just didn’t know it.

Lex was, of course, staring at her as she entered his office. He was immovable. Face of marble and empty eyes. His glass desk showed a distorted view of his face. But she could still see what draws people to him. She could see his inherent charisma and she understood it. It made everything about him all the more wasted. He let himself become what he was and she would not forgive him for his weakness.

He smirked. “Chloe, please, have a seat.”

Chloe recognized this as the act of intimidation that it was. Perhaps, in a time long past, she would’ve been afraid; but now it was pity that she felt. Pity that he was a caricature. Pity that he built a fortress that would never hold off the gravest danger to him: his own small ambitions.
    Neither one of them wanted to break the silence, but it was inevitable that one of them would crack. She had the vague idea of stretching out the silence, but it was petty and stupid and she was beyond these stupid games that went nowhere good.

She rolled her eyes, “You said it was urgent. So I came. What do you want?”

Lex’s eye twitched slightly, “You look good, Chloe. Did you think I wouldn’t find out?”

Chloe sighed and leaned back in her chair. “I didn’t care, Lex. You were never really a consideration. I did what was best for me. And kryptonite-induced healing is good on the body. No reminders at all when I look in the mirror.”

He clenched his jaw and pounded his hand on the glass desk. It shook the computer.

There was anger and possibly hurt in his voice, “And you call me a monster. I had a right to know you were pregnant.”

Leaning towards him again, she replied, “And then what, Lex? I have my life and the things I want. You are not one of those things. It was a mistake that I corrected.”

“You think this is the end?”

From the corner of her eye, Chloe saw the Lex in the glass desk. Still distorted and ugly, but the light cast from the window put a bright point of light near him.

“It is the end, Lex. It’s done and nothing will change an abortion. Whatever revenge you think you need to take, understand that you will fail. But you are more than welcome to call my bluff.”

Chloe stood up since there was nothing more to say. Lex did too. For a moment, before she turned away, Chloe thought she saw the man he was and could’ve become; but the mask that Lionel crafted for him settled onto his face. Lex donned it willingly. It was his face now because that’s what he wanted and she couldn’t change him.

She left his office and the building without once glancing back. His decay and the erosion of his life were coming by degrees and he let it. She wasn’t going to let anything tether her life to his. Chloe knew that he would try something. He always did, but her time being Brainiac’s vessel left her changed. Lex would fail. Sometimes she wished they could both be different, but they couldn’t be and they weren’t. Her life was her own and it was a good one.

Story 3: Exposed

He hated owing favours because it made him vulnerable and that was the way he felt where Chloe was concerned. Despite the distance he’d tried to put between them, the bond which their temporary allegiance had created still survived. Yes, the invisible tie was there; a signal of how vulnerable he’d let himself be. In fact, more than a tie it was an actual chain to which he’d inexplicably added a new link a few months ago.

The latest security breach had convinced him one of these days his most personal and secret project might get in the wrong hands. What would happen if they were her hands? She’d come knocking at his door crying havoc. At least, she’d come back to him in some way.

˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜* ˜
    Almost four months ago she helped Clark clear Lex’s name and save the billionaire from ending up in jail for a murder he hadn’t committed. She’d done it because, despite everything, she felt she owed it to him and because… Well, it was high time she put that behind her now. After all, he’d proved what he really thought of her not so long ago when his evil half had tried to kill her and Clark at Luthorcorp.

She hated herself for being so weak and so stupid as to still hope he could look at her differently. Her overwrought imagination and loneliness while in hiding had made her see things reflected in his eyes that hadn’t actually been there. She’d even gone so far as to think that she’d have a date for her Senior Prom. She’d have shown everyone she wasn’t a freak or a loser who couldn’t attract a sexy intelligent guy and keep him- not that she needed a man to be someone. But, hey, wouldn’t it have been nice to rub it on the faces of all those empty-headed cheerleaders?

Chloe looked at the screen of her laptop and sighed.

You’re pathetic, Sullivan. Look at what the lack of a love life’s done to you.

“Good morning, Lana,” said the velvety voice Chloe had been daydreaming with while reading the sultry romantic e-book she’d bought with Lois’ credit card. “I’ll have the usual,” he told the brunette with a practiced smile as he sat a few tables away from Chloe, who seemed to be engrossed in her research.

“Sure, Lex,” blushed Lana, still uncomfortable around her partner after his evil half kissed her in her apartment a few weeks ago.

”Don’t forget the whipped cream,” added Lex with a smug smile, looking at Lana’s receding back.

Oh, it was fun making the Princess embarrassed!

He grabbed the latest edition of The Daily Planet and raised his eyes to clash with a pair of green ones, surprising a fleeting heated look in them.

Chloe felt her heart hammering and loathed the way his voice and his trademark innuendo could make her body react.

“Damn!”

“Chloe, are you OK?” Lana asked worried on seeing her former housemate spill half her coffee on the tablecloth.

“I’m fine,” she smiled, slamming the laptop shut. “Blame my clumsiness on my lack of sleep. I’ve been working non-stop on the last edition of The Torch. I’m sorry about the tablecloth,” she said hurriedly, getting up and grabbing her things to leave before she made a fool of herself. “Send me the cleaners’ bill,” she added, pressing the stack of folders strategically against her chest so that she didn’t have to suffer the indignity of having to cross the café in her current state of arousal.

Lana squeezed Chloe’s upper arm and gave her one of her usual saccharine smiles.

“Forget it, Chloe.”

“Lana…” she started to answer before a patron entered the almost deserted coffeehouse and walked straight to where they were both standing.

“Good morning. I wonder if you could help me…” said the attractive brunette in her thirties whose wardrobe and style screamed Metropolis or some big city.

“Good morning,” chirped Lana.

“I’d better leave now. I have a zillion things to do,” Chloe excused herself and rushed out of the door. There was no way she’d stay a minute more in the coffee house to see Lex salivate over another woman.

“Don’t forget to pick up my gown!” shouted Lana to Chloe’s back. “Sorry… Prom Dance,” shrugged Clark’s eternal flame, looking at the older woman apologetically.

“I know what that was like,” smiled the outsider.

“How can I help you?”

“You can pour me a cup of mocha and tell me where I can find Ms. Chloe Sullivan.”

“Oh, you’ve just missed her! It was the petite blonde that breezed away. ”

“Well, I suppose I can wait a couple of hours. I need a restoring cup of coffee and a short nap,” she sighed, sitting down on a bar stool. “I’ve been driving from Gotham non-stop.”

“The Black Knight’s homeland,” smiled Lana, prepping the espresso machine.”What brings you to our leafy little hamlet? You don’t mind my asking, do you? We rarely get visitors from Metro or Gotham. Smallville can be hardly described as a magnet for tourism.”

“I’m here on business. I’m afraid I can’t tell you much. I’ll be staying at Smallville’s Inn. Could you tell Miss Sullivan that Jackie Morris would like to meet with her? Here’s my personal card.”

“Sure,” said Lana, eying the card with curiosity.

Jackie Morris was in Smallville.
    Lex folded the financial section of The Daily Planet, left a ten-dollar bill on the table and, greeting his partner goodbye, headed towards the entrance of the popular coffee shop.

There was no use putting this off. Fate always had a way to laugh in Lex Luthor’s face. Well, it was to be expected. He wasn’t a fool; he knew he’d unconsciously asked to be found out from the very beginning, and he didn’t need a shrink to know why he’d set the wheels in motion.
    ˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜*˜* ˜

Chloe was putting the final touches to the last edition she’d supervise when she heard the door of the office open and a pair of expensive shoes step inside.

Lex.

She wondered when God would stop taunting her with what she couldn’t have.

“If you’re looking for Clark, I’m afraid he isn’t here. He’s got a tendency to disappear when deadlines are approaching,” she said ironically, keeping her back to the door.

“Actually, I was looking for you. I need a favour.”

A favour. That was the only thing she was good for. She was tired of being invisible.

“I’m sorry, Lex. If you need your own personal search engine, I’ve run out of favours to grant till next Christmas. What happened? Daddy Dearest close your bank accounts and you’ve been reduced to resort to an amateur sleuth?”

A pregnant silence fell on the room

You’re a bitch Chloe. That was a low blow. It’s Lionel you hate, remember? Lex isn’t the Devil incarnate; he just …

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly, turning around.

“No. I deserved that. I haven’t been much of a … friend these past months. I’ve never been good at this…” he tried to explain. “I’ve got a confession to make. It might be better if I just showed you this.”

Chloe took what look like a legal document from Lex’s hands and perused the contents with a growing look of disbelief.

“This is in my name. ”

“I know. I should have asked for your permission but … In any case, I didn’t think this pet project would end up being such a smashing success.”

“I can’t believe this.”

“Every dime generated has been deposited in an account in your name. And any future revenues will be signed to you of course. “

“Why?”

“You’re the only one who’s given in this… relationship.”

“That isn’t true, Lex.”

“It is. I just wanted to… thank you in the only way I know, but I thought you’d have said no if I’d simply offered you the money to help pay for your college education, so I looked for a more creative solution. ”

“I kind of like my pen name. I have a very steamy imagination.”

“I thought you were only into non-fiction,” he smirked.

“I read the occasional sultry novel. And your… my… historical romances are damn good. Actually, I’ve been reading Roman Temptress again.”

“Was that what you were reading at The Talon this morning when you looked so flushed?”

“So… why are you confessing now?”

“The editor’s in town. She wasn’t supposed to show her face and ask to meet with you; it was one of the conditions when the contract was signed.”

“How long do we have?”

“Less than two hours.”

“Pull up a chair. Boy, wish I were working for The Planet…”

“Chloe…”

“Kidding. I won’t let the world know about Lex Luthor’s penchant for writing erotica, but you’ll have to agree to my terms.”

She smiled mischievously.

Oh, yes! Think about all those brainstorming sessions. This is going to be a very interesting partnership indeed.

THE END

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Three very different takes on this month's prompt. Thank you all for participating.
    Last edited by lexie; 4th December 2010 at 23:31.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Thank you because That's really good^^

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

I enjoyed these entries! Definitely three different takes on the prompt. I'm actually not sure what my favorite is, so I'll have to reread them a little later and reflect on it.

jcassy
    Just a Guest!

all the stories are good . but i really like the second one with its dark theme.

I think the stories are good too, but my favorite is the third one with Lex being an erotica romance writer! lol! I love it - I also liked how he gave credit to Chloe for her hardwork. I thought his attempt to help her with college was awesome! Great writing guys! Thanks for sharing!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Story 1:Where I Stood

This was a really interesting and fascinating ficlet. It was depressing and traumatizing to read, which I just loved! It was mesmerizing seeing how badly Chloe had been broken, and the myriad of ways how and why she had been broken… by her friends and family no less.

I’ve seen Lois get ready to go out with you. I’ve seen her look at you and how much she enjoys hanging out with you. I know she loves you. While I stepped back and worked the Watchtower, Lois stepped in. She became your best friend. It hurts like crazy because I wanted to stay your best friend. I wanted to be the person you talked to about things…and I cut that off when I decided to play Big Sister. But Lois is the one you talk to, she’s your best friend, and I should be happy that she is! Just like I was happy when you were with Lana…but I’m not. Instead of a happy friend I’ve become a hidden miserable mole!
    This actually hurt to read. It wasn’t just the note about how Lois was essentially taking over everything that was Chloe’s life, dreams and identity... but there was also the plaintive tone in Chloe’s voice as she considered how easily disposable she was at the end of the day. Her best friend and family could forget and discard her so easily, where they didn’t even spare a thought to how losing her would affect their lives... because the truth was that losing Chloe would have NO effect on their lives whatsoever.

It was a horrible, terrible, traumatic thought. And I don’t blame Chloe for falling into danger of becoming a bitter, miserable, hidden mole because of it.

The ending came as an immense surprise. First of all, it was a delightful surprise to discover that Chloe has someone who DOES want her desperately... someone who appreciates her, and would actually MISS her if she went missing out of HIS life. Chloe needs someone like that. But it was a little unsettling because I got the impression that Chloe is just jumping from one man to another, because she needs to be needed, and not necessarily because she returns Lex’s feelings.

She’s still grieving for Clark after all... so it doesn’t feel right that she should jump straight into Lex’s arms while she’s still miserable and suffering form the pain that Clark has just freshly dealt her.

heee… obviously this Chloe has a lot of growth to go through. This would make a VERY interesting start to a long-length story, that I would love to read. Thanks for the excellent opener!

Story 2: Resolute

I loved, LOVED this story. It was the feel and the tone of the story as well as the actual content that really enthralled and mesmerized me. The beginning where Lex’s offce was described as a cold, antiseptic, sterile place made me shiver. It was the perfect way to capture the impersonal, unfriendly and even hostile feel of the environment to Chloe. It sums up perfectly why Chloe would NOT feel comfortable in Lex’s space, and why she didn’t want to get involved in a long-term close, intimate relationship with him.

Sometimes she wondered how she got to places such as these. Sometimes she wondered how she could change her life to avoid these particular complications. But in a fit of self-awareness, Chloe realized that other than these times, she was happy. She didn’t seek these complications out anymore, but they were hers until the end. She would own the mistake that led her to this point. She would own the decision that compensated for the mistake. But more importantly, the consequences would be hers too. She would accept it all.
    I loved this. Chloe is acknowledging that she’s made mistakes in her life, and that she’s put herself in very real danger quite often because of these mistakes. BUT, she also owns the fact that she’s happy, independent and fully in control of her own path. It is THIS aspect of her lifestyle (her freedom and independence) that Chloe values and wishes to protect above all things. It’s precious to her, and we can see why. I love it!

Chloe walked into Lex’s office and remembered a time when he wasn’t this person. There was a time when his office had windows that let in the sun and it was bright and brilliant. Now, his windows let in the sun but it wasn’t to enhance the feeling of invitation. It was to project power. The reflected surfaces of his chrome and glass modern office were grim. He used to like majestic wood to convey his power. Now it was like staring into the dark, dead eyes of a machine. There was nothing there. No connection was possible and that was the way he wanted things now.
    We’ve covered Chloe’s personality and character, and now we come to Lex. Now we can see exactly what he looks like in her view, and we understand a little better why Chloe doesn’t want to be in a relationship with him, despite the obvious sparks between them.

It’s because they both place value and importance on completely different things… and they cannot compromise. Chloe values her independence and freedom of choice. Whereas Les values power, domination, control and the IMAGE and projection of his power. Lex would never allow Chloe to lead her own life, her own lifestyle unless it was in a manner that followed HIS lifestyle. The two of them are just incompatible, and Chloe would be miserable living with Lex while he’s hard, ruthless, grim like this. Perhaps if he convinced Chloe that he was capable of unselfishly loving her, where she would be allowed to find happiness on her own terms and on her own path separate from his, THEN she would he happy with him… but I get the feeling that Lex would not be willing to compromise with Chloe like that.

Lex was, of course, staring at her as she entered his office. He was immovable. Face of marble and empty eyes. His glass desk showed a distorted view of his face. But she could still see what draws people to him. She could see his inherent charisma and she understood it. It made everything about him all the more wasted. He let himself become what he was and she would not forgive him for his weakness.
    I loved how Chloe described Lex falling too much in love with power as his ‘weakness’. That was just… amazing! Describing him as a ‘caricature’ of the man he could have become… that as amazingly apt and perfect. I can’t imagine a description and assessment that would have infuriated Lex more than that. In the end, we’re seeing that Lex himself would have been miserable with Chloe. He wouldn’t have been able to handle her clear-eyed honesty in assessing his character and personality.

“It is the end, Lex. It’s done and nothing will change an abortion. Whatever revenge you think you need to take, understand that you will fail. But you are more than welcome to call my bluff.”

Chloe stood up since there was nothing more to say. Lex did too. For a moment, before she turned away, Chloe thought she saw the man he was and could’ve become; but the mask that Lionel crafted for him settled onto his face. Lex donned it willingly. It was his face now because that’s what he wanted and she couldn’t change him.

She left his office and the building without once glancing back. His decay and the erosion of his life were coming by degrees and he let it. She wasn’t going to let anything tether her life to his. Chloe knew that he would try something. He always did, but her time being Brainiac’s vessel left her changed. Lex would fail. Sometimes she wished they could both be different, but they couldn’t be and they weren’t. Her life was her own and it was a good one.
    This was a fantastic ending. It’s clear that Lex is the one with the resources to rival the president of the country… and yet it’s Chloe who shows herself to be the stronger and more powerful person in this exchange between the two. Incredible, amazing writing and characterization!! wow! This ficlet is getting my vote as the winner for the month! Hands down, no contest!!

Story 3: Exposed
    This was a really fun ficlet. I loved how, during the beginning alone, the parallels between Chloe and Lex were established... showing how the two of them were irresistibly attracted to one another, BUT they both view their attraction to one another as a sign of weakness. LOL! I love the irony of it!
    I loved the introduction of the new character, Jackie Morris, in the ficlet. I was on pins and needles wondering why was she in Smallville, what she wanted with Chloe and, most of all, how did Lex recognize the name of this new character. I love it when mystery and intrigue suck me in further into a story.

A favour. That was the only thing she was good for. She was tired of being invisible.

“I’m sorry, Lex. If you need your own personal search engine, I’ve run out of favours to grant till next Christmas. What happened? Daddy Dearest close your bank accounts and you’ve been reduced to resort to an amateur sleuth?”

A pregnant silence fell on the room

You’re a bitch Chloe. That was a low blow. It’s Lionel you hate, remember? Lex isn’t the Devil incarnate; he just …

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly, turning around.

“No. I deserved that. I haven’t been much of a … friend these past months. I’ve never been good at this…” he tried to explain. “I’ve got a confession to make. It might be better if I just showed you this.”
    ouch! Chloe’s bitterness was almost tangible. It’s quite a tragedy seeing how Chloe’s exuberant and enthusiastic spirit has been trampled upon to produce THIS kind of knee-jerk reaction whenever someone approaches her asking for a ‘favour’. Damn you, Clark, for doing this to Chloe!! At least it was good to see that Lex apologized for not appreciating Chloe as she deserved. Even though we all know that she slightly over-reacted with her snippy reply, there was a grain of truth to her complaint to Lex. So it’s wonderful to see Lex apologising... especially since I know that Clark would probably never even acknowledge doing anything wrong, much less saying he was sorry for it.

But it turns out that Chloe snapped at Lex unjustly. Because when he came to her asking for a ‘favour’, he was actually saying that he was going to do HER a favour. It was so incredibly sweet and generous of Lex to actually create an investment fund for Chloe. I also loved how he made it clear to Chloe that this was money earned based on her own efforts, and NOT charity bewtowed on her by the rich, powerful and generous Lex Luthor. Chloe would have refused charity... but money earned from her own works... YEAH, baby!!!

LOL! And the twist turns out to be the secret that Chloe has been acting as a beta and editor for Lex during his time writing erotica fiction, ROTFLAMO! I loved that idea! Hilarious!! ROTFLMAO! And I’d LOVE to know what kind of ‘brainstorming’ sessions they conducted in order to come up with new ideas for new erotica plots... and positions, lol!

Excellent ficlet! Thanks for the great laugh!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information