Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Re: NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Thank you to Zannie and to Julie for explaining what Canon was!

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    This also means that say "Sanguis Quid Ligurat" could be nominated in other categories or in all categories but AU, right?

I know that the Fanfic Challenge entries and the Secret Santa fics were written for a contest but somehow it seems a pity to leave them out. Has the decision not to include them been based on the fact that an important number of the first group are still anonymous? Or is it that the software doesn't allow the nomination of a fic unless the author's pen name is entered in the corresponding field?
    It's not really a pity. Some people want to stay anonymous for the challenge. This would be a form of pressure on those who want to remain anonymous. These fics have already been judged and had a spotlight. We want to give others a chance to shine and win. It's redundant and unnecessary.
    Last edited by Avalanche; 12th November 2010 at 04:42.
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    It's not really a pity. Some people want to stay anonymous for the challenge. This would be a form of pressure on those who want to remain anonymous. These fics have already been judged and had a spotlight. We want to give others a chance to shine and win. It's redundant and unnecessary.
    By the way, I didn't imply that it's a pity some challenge fanfics remain anonymous; it's a valid right to want to keep the mystery if the author prefers it that way. In any case, if the software didn't require for users to type the name of the author in order to nominate a fic, anonymity would be preserved.

I think it'd also be a nice way for people to discover works which they might have overlooked. Past editions of the Awards have helped discover several hidden jewels- old and new- especially when readers are new to the forums or usually stick to a specific genre or rating (again a matter of personal choice and a practice I respect). Of course, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by lexie; 12th November 2010 at 05:00.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

By the way, I didn't imply that it's a pity some challenge fanfics remain anonymous; it's a valid right to want to keep the mystery if the author prefers it that way. In any case, if the software didn't require for users to type the name of the author in order to nominate a fic, anonymity would be preserved.

I think it'd also be a nice way for people to discover works which they might have overlooked just as it's happened with previous editions of the Awards.Many hidden jewels old and new have been discovered by people who are new to the forums or who usually stick to a specific genre or rating. again a matter of personal choice and a practice I respect. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    That doesn't validate or really answer the issue of challenge fics being a part of the awards. They have already been judge and they are archived for people to see. No need to include them in the new fanfic awards.
    Fanfiction Master List

Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

That doesn't validate or really answer the issue of challenge fics being a part of the awards. They have already been judge and they are archived for people to see. No need to include them in the new fanfic awards.
    Well, all fics are archived to see. But, as I said before, it's just my personal opinion and in no way a view that has to be shared by everyone. We're just bouncing off ideas; silly as they might seem at times. LOL
    Last edited by lexie; 12th November 2010 at 05:06.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Well, all fics are archived to see. But, as I said before, it's just my personal opinion and in no way a view that has to be shared by everyone. We're just bouncing ideas; silly as they might seem at types. LOL
    Yes, and then I responded why I didn't think it would be a good idea to include them. So I've bounced an idea as well, which is: let's not include them and go with Julie's current amendments, unless there are more ambiguities.
    Fanfiction Master List

Oscar Wilde

Marilyn Monroe

By the way, I meant "times" and not "types", but I assume you got what I meant. Blame it on my muddled brain after marking tons of Cambridge mock tests.

And I agree, Julie rules so her word will be the last and we'll certainly abide by it.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

By the way, I meant "times" and not "types", but I assume you got what I meant. Blame it on my muddled brain after marking tons of Cambridge mock tests.

And I agree, Julie rules so her word will be the last and we'll certainly abide by it.
    Heh. Not a problem. Typos happen to even research scientists who use fancy equipment that costs her entire salary. LOL
    Fanfiction Master List

Oscar Wilde

Marilyn Monroe

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

This also means that say "Sanguis Quid Ligurat" could be nominated in other categories or in all categories but AU, right?
    Yes, correct, since Sanguis didn't win in any other categories.

Quote Originally Posted by LexGirl View Post
    Thank you to Zannie and to Julie for explaining what Canon was!
    You're welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions

I know that the Fanfic Challenge entries and the Secret Santa fics were written for a contest but somehow it seems a pity to leave them out. Has the decision not to include them been based on the fact that an important number of the first group are still anonymous? Or is it that the software doesn't allow the nomination of a fic unless the author's pen name is entered in the corresponding field?
    I left them out because, as Ava said, they've already been judged and had their spotlight. They get more spotlight since they're official NS contests, and we promote those contests via various channels, we don't promote regular fanfictions normally.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

The award show is minutes from launching!

Any other ideas for author nomination categories?

Thread Information