Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Fanfiction Awards 2010

The NS Fanfiction Awards is an award show for fanfictions posted and the authors who write them here at NS Forums.

The authors spend a lot of time writing fanfictions for us fans, and they deserve to get recognition for their work!

And that is what the Fanfiction Awards are all about, showing our appreciation for the authors and the stories they write for us!

When is all this happening?

November 14th: Site and nominations opens.
    November 28th: Nominations close.UPDATE: Extended to December 1st 11:59pm Oslo Norway time.
    Around December 1st/2nd: Voting round opens.
    December 8th: Voting round closes.
    December 6-7th: Second and final voting round opens.
    December 13th: Second and final voting round closes.

Around December 7-8th: Winners are announced.

Dates updated: November 29th

Nomination process

You visit the site for the fanfiction awards and fill out the form. It’s one nominee per sent in form!

The sent in nominees end up in an administrative queue. Staff will look over the nominees and make sure they’re sent in with the correct information, not a duplicate and follow the rules of the fanfiction awards.

Once they’re approved they will show up on the list of nominees.

You can nominate as many fanfictions and authors in as many categories you'd like. Meaning you can nominate a story in several different categories.

Voting process

First round

The first round will limit the nominees to the top 5 in each category.

Second and final round

The final round will be a voting for the winner in each category.

Forums Fanfiction Categories versus Fanfiction Award categories

You can enter any fanfiction posted on the forums into any category in the award show, it doesn't matter if the fanfiction is posted in a different category here on the forums.

Who/What can be nominated?
    • Authors who have posted one or more fanfictions on NS Forums.
    • Fanfictions posted on NS Forums started/updated and/or completed between March 1st 2009 and until November 17th 2010 are eligible.
    • Only completed fanfictions.
    • WIP (work in progress) fanfictions are only eligible in the WIP and characterization categories.
    UPDATE November 22nd 2010!

From now on, only fanfictions started/updated and/or completed between March 1st 2009 and until November 17th 2010 are eligible.

Check out Mindy's list for a complete list of eligible nominees!

Who/What can’t be nominated?
    • Previous winning stories cannot be nominated in the same category as they won in*.
    • Fanfictions currently in the graveyard section.
    • Fanfictions entered in the forum fanfiction challenges.
    • Fanfictions written for NS events, such as the NS Secret Fanfiction Santa.
    • Collaborating authors (the collaborative user account) cannot be nominated in the author categories.
    • Banned users.
    * Exception: In categories where there was a tie for the winner both of those can be nominated again in the same category. See more information below.

When you say previous winners can't be nominated in the same categories they won in before, I was initially thinking the stories themselves couldn't be nominated. [...] I'm hoping you just meant the stories themselves and not the author who wrote them can't be re-nominated in the categories.
    What was meant by "previous winners cannot be nominated in the same category(ies) they won in" is that only the story itself cannot be re-nominated in the category(ies) it won in. The author, and the author's other stories can be nominated again, of course.

And authors who've won in one of the author categories before, can be re-nominated on those, even if they've won previously.

An example:

Best Alternative Universe
    Sanguis quid Ligurat

Ruafair's "Sanguis quid Liqurat" won Best Alternative Universe in the last awards, meaning "Sanguis quid Liqurat" cannot be nominated again this year in Best Alternative Universe category. Her other stories can be nominated in other categories.

An author example:

Best New Author
    Cypanache

Cypanachewon Best New Author last year, but now she would qualify for Best Veteran Author. And Zannie, who won Best Veteran Author last year, can be nominated this year as well in the Best Veteran Author category.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion, and if there's anything else that's a bit confusing to you, don't hesitate to contact me and ask me!

Previous Winners

List of winners from 2009.

Nomination Categories

Best Veteran Author*
    Best New Author*
    Author of the Year**
    Best Short Story
    Best Work In Progress (WIP)
    Best Erotica/NC-17
    Best Romance
    Best Humor
    Best Angst
    Best Adventure/Suspense
    Best Alternate Universe (AU)
    Best Canon
    Best Characterization of Lex
    Best Characterization of Chloe
    Best Characterization of Non-Chlex Smallville Character
    Best Characterization of an Original Character

* Authors who first posted a fanfiction BEFORE January 2009 go under Veteran Authors, and authors who first posted a fanfiction AFTER January 2009 are so-called New Authors.

** Can be a new/veteran author, and from any time frame. This category will be assembled from all the nominated authors, so you can’t nominate in this category.

Questions

Q: If your fanfiction is updated during the awards and moved from the graveyard, is it then eligible?
    A: Yes

Q: When nominating for Best Characterisation of an SV character other than Chloe and Lex, isn't it possible to make names? I was under the impression that last time we were able to fill in a field with the name of the character we were nominating, say Bruce in Ends and Means.
    A: I don't think we had a specific field for that name, I think we just had a "nominee" field, where you'd enter the name and story title. But you can just put the name like you did, example: Bruce in Ends and Means

Q: What about Chlex by request fics?
    A: These fanfictions can be nominated.

Questions for you!

We could perhaps have some more categories for authors, now there’s only three! Any suggestions?

Website

http://network.naughty-seduction.net/ffa/

or a shorter address: n.chlex.net/ffa/
    More information on how to nominate and vote will be available soon!

Bugs

Below are bugs that I am aware of. If you experience any you don't see on this list, please send me a PM with the following:

What page you experience the problem.
    What browser you are using (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox etc)
    What browser version you are using.
    What you did that caused the error (clicked on a wrong link, clicked on a button, typed something wrong etc)
    • Author Nomination Category Viewing - Author names aren't separated.
    (Requested) Features

Updates

EDIT/UPDATE November 29th 2010:

Nomination categories in need of more nominees:

Best Characterization of non-chlex SV character
    Most Versatile Author
    Best Canon
    Best New Author

If you can think of any nominees for these categories, nominate them now!

Nomination Period Extended

The nomination period will be extended to Wednesday December 1st 11:59pm Oslo, Norway time. After that we will just go ahead with the voting. NOTE: There won't be two voting rounds, since we've limited the number of nominees, so it's no point in doing two rounds. So there will be ONE voting round.

Winners of the NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Author of the Year
    Zannie

Best Adventure/Suspense
    Sanctuary

Best Angst
    What You Don't Know

Best AU
    Rebel

Best Canon
    Look at Her Past

Best Characterization of an original character
    Leah in Metaphysics

Best Characterization of Chloe
    Pulse

Best Characterization of Lex
    Metaphysics

Best Characterization of non-chlex SV character
    Lionel in Metaphysics

Best Erotica/NC17
    Holiday Heat

Best Humor
    Rebel

Best New Author
    Sinecure

Best Romance
    Metaphysics

Best Short Story
    Contamination

Best Veteran Author
    Zannie

Best WIP
    Bittersweet

Most Versatile Author
    Zannie

You can see the full list at the website for the fanfiction awards.
    Last edited by Julie; 29th January 2011 at 14:23.

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Re: NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Thanks for working on this, Julie. It should be really fun!

Just a question for clarification. You say the nominated stories must have been posted after 2009. Does that mean they were begun after 2009 or finished after 2009? I don't have any in that situation, but there may have been some stories that were WIP's for the last fanfiction awards but that are now completed. Are they eligible for the non-WIP categories?

I"m curious about the Canon. Chlex wasn't canon, so my guess is it'd have to be Lexana, Chimmy, or (whatever Chloe and Oliver are - am running a blank here, lol! ).

I like your question, Zannie! I have a WIP fic right now and one that I've not put as WIP because I'm thinking of ending it. It's short, but I just don't have the stamina right now to keep going with it. Plus, my original thought was to have it be a one-parter. Undecided....

Thanks Julie!

Quote Originally Posted by LexGirl View Post
    "m curious about the Canon. Chlex wasn't canon, so my guess is it'd have to be Lexana, Chimmy, or (whatever Chloe and Oliver are - am running a blank here, lol! ).
    I think what the Canon category implies is that the story sticks very closely to the events on the show. There are some stories that fill in "missing moments" or use events of episodes to craft the shape of the story. So they'll be Chlex stories but they won't be future fics, AUs, or stories that disregard or change what has happened on the show. Julie can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what the category is supposed to be.

First, if anyone's wondering where the other posts went, I deleted them to avoid confusion, since we were talking about two different things, but didn't notice it

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
    Thanks for working on this, Julie. It should be really fun!

Just a question for clarification. You say the nominated stories must have been posted after 2009. Does that mean they were begun after 2009 or finished after 2009? I don't have any in that situation, but there may have been some stories that were WIP's for the last fanfiction awards but that are now completed. Are they eligible for the non-WIP categories?
    Hmmmmm, I was originally thinking begun after 2009, but perhaps it would be easier to remove the time frame on the nominated fanfictions all together?

Quote Originally Posted by LexGirl View Post
    I"m curious about the Canon. Chlex wasn't canon, so my guess is it'd have to be Lexana, Chimmy, or (whatever Chloe and Oliver are - am running a blank here, lol! ).

I like your question, Zannie! I have a WIP fic right now and one that I've not put as WIP because I'm thinking of ending it. It's short, but I just don't have the stamina right now to keep going with it. Plus, my original thought was to have it be a one-parter. Undecided....

Thanks Julie!
    I think what the Canon category implies is that the story sticks very closely to the events on the show. There are some stories that fill in "missing moments" or use events of episodes to craft the shape of the story. So they'll be Chlex stories but they won't be future fics, AUs, or stories that disregard or change what has happened on the show. Julie can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what the category is supposed to be.
    Zannie is correct

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Hmmmmm, I was originally thinking begun after 2009, but perhaps it would be easier to remove the time frame on the nominated fanfictions all together?
    I think it'd be nice to allow stories that were started before 2009 but finished afterwards to have a chance. Provided we don't nominate them in a category they've already won... In any case, there's a rule which covers that aspect.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Yes, if we limit it to only fics started and completed after 2009, we'll have a very small list of fics to choose from. Lots of short stories but not many others. I've only been around since the summer and I'm not reading much in the way of WIPs so I could have missed a few, but the only multi-chapter stories I'm aware of that have been both begun and completed since July are my Sanctuary, Metaphysics and Rebel (by the end of the week). I'm sure there were some from the first part of the year, but I think limiting it to only fics begun and completed this year is going to give us too limited a pool.

If we pull in fics that were completed after 2009 but started earlier, that would give us several more. I'm not actually sure how much fic activity was happening in the first half of this year, but if it was like it is now, we still have a fairly small pool of fics to choose from and it might be hard for readers to figure out which fics were actually completed in the time frame, so they may simply gravitate toward the most recent fics.

When you say remove the timeframe altogether, did you mean open it up to all fics on the board that didn't win in the previous awards? That would certainly give voters more options to choose from and maybe increase the stakes. Otherwise, in some of the categories, we may only have one or two nominations.

Yes, if we limit it to only fics started and completed after 2009, we'll have a very small list of fics to choose from. Lots of short stories but not many others. I've only been around since the summer and I'm not reading much in the way of WIPs so I could have missed a few, but the only multi-chapter stories I'm aware of that have been both begun and completed since July are my Sanctuary, Metaphysics and Rebel (by the end of the week). I'm sure there were some from the first part of the year, but I think limiting it to only fics begun and completed this year is going to give us too limited a pool.

If we pull in fics that were completed after 2009 but started earlier, that would give us several more. I'm not actually sure how much fic activity was happening in the first half of this year, but if it was like it is now, we still have a fairly small pool of fics to choose from and it might be hard for readers to figure out which fics were actually completed in the time frame, so they may simply gravitate toward the most recent fics.
    Sounds reasonable

When you say remove the timeframe altogether, did you mean open it up to all fics on the board that didn't win in the previous awards? That would certainly give voters more options to choose from and maybe increase the stakes. Otherwise, in some of the categories, we may only have one or two nominations.
    Yes, I meant remove it so that we'll open up for all fanfictions on the forums, but excluding those that have won in the previous awards from entering in the same category as they won in.

I've updated the first post now, and removed the time frame

Just to clarify, as someone sent me a PM asking about this.

When you say previous winners can't be nominated in the same categories they won in before, I was initially thinking the stories themselves couldn't be nominated. [...] I'm hoping you just meant the stories themselves and not the author who wrote them can't be re-nominated in the categories.
    What was meant by "previous winners cannot be nominated in the same category(ies) they won in" is that only the story itself cannot be re-nominated in the category(ies) it won in. The author, and the author's other stories can be nominated again, of course.

And authors who've won in one of the author categories before, can be re-nominated on those, even if they've won previously.

An example:

Best Alternative Universe
    Sanguis quid Ligurat

Ruafair's "Sanguis quid Liqurat" won Best Alternative Universe in the last awards, meaning "Sanguis quid Liqurat" cannot be nominated again this year in Best Alternative Universe category. Her other stories can be nominated in other categories.

An author example:

Best New Author
    Cypanache

Cypanache won Best New Author last year, but now she would qualify for Best Veteran Author. And Zannie, who won Best Veteran Author last year, can be nominated this year as well in the Best Veteran Author category.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion, and if there's anything else that's a bit confusing to you, don't hesitate to contact me and ask me!
    Last edited by Julie; 12th November 2010 at 07:44.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

This also means that say "Sanguis Quid Ligurat" could be nominated in other categories or in all categories but AU, right?

I know that the Fanfic Challenge entries and the Secret Santa fics were written for a contest but somehow it seems a pity to leave them out. Has the decision not to include them been based on the fact that an important number of the first group are still anonymous? Or is it that the software doesn't allow the nomination of a fic unless the author's pen name is entered in the corresponding field?
    Last edited by lexie; 12th November 2010 at 00:15.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Thread Information