Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Re: NS Fanfiction Awards 2010

Ok, so this is late in the game, but I was just perusing the nominations and comparing it with www's list and I have a question. Why are we nominating fics that were completed before 2009? There was some confusion about when a fic could be eligible, but if you started a fic in 2004 and finished it in 2009, then of course it should be eligible; but why are we nominating and including fics that were began in 2004 and completed that same year for a 2009 award?

This doesn't seem like it would be fair to newer authors are who are finishing their fics in the year of the awards. I remember we let pretty much everything be eligible last awards, but that was because we hadn't had an awards fic in a long time. Sorry, I know we already started, but I just kinda noticed this.
    Last edited by Avalanche; 18th November 2010 at 17:51.
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Ok, so this is late in the game, but I was just perusing the nominations and comparing it with www's list and I have a question. Why are we nominating fics that were completed before 2009? There was some confusion about when a fic could be eligible, but if you started a fic in 2004 and finished it in 2009, then of course it should be eligible; but why are we nominating and including fics that were began in 2004 and completed that same year for a 2009 award?

This doesn't seem like it would be fair to newer authors are who are finishing their fics in the year of the awards. I remember we let pretty much everything be eligible last awards, but that was because we hadn't had an awards fic in a long time. Sorry, I know we already started, but I just kinda noticed this.
    There was some concern that if we only did fics completed in 2009 we might be a bit short on the nominees... This was before there was done any lists, so there was some uncertainty whether there would be enough nominees.

Depending how much longer NS is around, I think I'll have to start doing the awards in January or at least early in the year. So for an example, in January 2011, I would launch Fic Awards 2011, where only fics started and completed in 2010 are eligible. That would be the easiest for staff to control, as they could just open the thread, look at the date for the first post and see whether or not it was started in 2010. If we were going for started whenever, but completed in 2010, going looking for WHEN that fanfiction was completed would be extra work. Only concern here is Graveyard fics that are started whenever, but updated and completed in 2010, those would fall out of the game. Hm.

I have no problem with launching another fanfiction awards say in January/February, then only accepting 2010 nominees. And then, should NS be alive then, for January 2012 fanfic awards, only accepting 2011 nominees and so forth.

For the next award show, if we were going with only fics started and completed in 2010 are eligible, I might be able to program something that would check whether the thread was started in 2010 or not. That would save some work for the staff. Of course, the staff might be familiar with the fics posted, and when they were posted etc, like Lexie pretty much is on this award show, but when I'm approving nominees, I have to check each one, as I have no clue if they are in the Graveyard, or what .

I don't think I can program a check for when the fanfiction was completed... Only available data is creation date, and last post date. And author's last post date probably, but it's not 100% certain that the author's last post is the final chapter, it could be "thank you" for feedback on an older fanfiction...

Tricky, tricky stuff!

But, this award show is for you guys, so you guys control most of it, I simply facilitate

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

I agree with Ava that allowing fics from all times to be nominated is somewhat unfair to newer authors, especially when- as Mindy said in her post- people tend to remember the classics. When the previous edition of the Awards was organised a similar concern was voiced because it was feared that our forums' household names or only one author would end up sweeping all the categories if fics from way back were allowed to compete. I too understand Julie's argumentation. It's a tricky thing indeed.

I'm all for a new Award Event sometime in early 2011 for fics written and/or finished in 2010. Even if the coding didn't allow to control whether a fic was started earlier and finished in 2010, it'd be a lot more manageable to browse a bunch of fics than a ton of them.
    Last edited by lexie; 18th November 2010 at 20:11.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

I think the original timeframe specified stories that were started after the previous awards show. And, since the stories have to be completed for most of the awards, this would have left a very small pool of stories (maybe half of Mindy's list - and those mostly short stories).

I would suggest that, if you start doing a yearly awards show for the stories started in the previous year, you might open up more of the categories to WIP's. If you limit it to completed stories started in any given year, with the rate of activity on N-S at least since I've been back around, there will quite a small number of stories for a lot of the categories. But, if WIP's are eligible for more categories, then that would allow for more fics to be pulled in. Also, if the year time frame is based on when a story is started, WIP's started in one year but finished the next would never be eligible for most of the awards.

Hope that rambling made some sense . . .
    Last edited by Zannie; 18th November 2010 at 22:35.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Guys, again, make sure that the fics and/or characters that you submit as your favourites haven't been already nominated.

Since Zannie's Leah and Rachel were first nominated together and then someone submitted a nomination for one of them, we chose to split the nominations up- one for Leah and one for Rachel- erasing the combined one. In other words, they can't be renominated as Best Original Characters (combined or individually).
    Last edited by lexie; 18th November 2010 at 23:02.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know what it takes to delete a nomination from the website, but if it is fairly easy, then we could weed out any nominations not on the list I posted. If we keep it to fics that have been written/updated/and completed in the timeframe between the last award show to this award, I do think we've seen it is a fairly substantial list. Short story fics don't have to be nominated in only short story, and I think WIPs could be entered in other fic categories. Our only criteria is that they have to be written/updated or completed during the year, not be in the graveyard and not have a previous win in the category for which they have been nominated (which would only apply to WIPs from the previous year). If the issue is the time it takes to look over the board to find the fics, it wasn't difficult, and I had the time. I have no problem doing it again next year. And all we have to do this year is compare the nominees to the list which I'd be willing to do if I had access to the controls. Then next year, I could make another list, post it before nominations so that everyone can check to make sure they have been included, and have it ready to go before the new nominations start.
    Last edited by westwingwolf; 19th November 2010 at 05:34.

Quote Originally Posted by westwingwolf View Post
    I don't know what it takes to delete a nomination from the website, but if it is fairly easy, [...]
    I'll edit in a longer response later to the other replies here, but to quickly answer one question: Yes, it's super easy.

I have no problem of changing the format of the awards, and extending the nomination period a little.

Mindy, if you have the time and are willing to be part of the event staff, I can give you access and show you the ropes

I'll get back to you guys ASAP, I'm at work right now, and should be working

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by westwingwolf View Post
    If we keep it to fics that have been written/updated/and completed in the timeframe between the last award show to this award, I do think we've seen it is a fairly substantial list. Short story fics don't have to be nominated in only short story, and I think WIPs could be entered in other fic categories.
    Do you mean include WiPs in "Best Romance" etc? Because I think your list will still make all categories competitive without including WiPs in anything other than the "Best Character" and "WiP" categories. For me, it's like nominating The Dark Knight a year before completion. We're judging on the totality of work and overall quality.
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche
    Do you mean include WiPs in "Best Romance" etc? Because I think your list will still make all categories competitive without including WiPs in anything other than the "Best Character" and "WiP" categories. For me, it's like nominating The Dark Knight a year before completion. We're judging on the totality of work and overall quality.
    You're right, WIPs aren't necessary to be counted in other categories to feel we have enough for nominations. And they will always have the chance to be counted for the others should there be another awards and should they be finished (incentive!). My personal preference is they could be, but I see the value in only completed stories being judged in these categories and not against the potential of WIPs.

Julie, I would love to help out with whatever you need.
    Last edited by westwingwolf; 19th November 2010 at 18:53.

All right, I've thought about this back and forth, and written up different replies several times. I think we'll just continue with the way we've done so far this year, with no time frame, for this award show.

Then we can try a new format next year. I think that will be the smoothest way to do this, since people have already nominated their favourites, and from the looks of it, people are winding down from the nomination spree.

I'll do my best to have an award show up in February 2011 for fanfictions started/updated/completed in 2010.

Then, if Mindy's still willing, she could write up a list of the 2010 fanfictions in late December/early January.

How does that sound?

Thread Information