View Poll Results: Which story is your favourite?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Story 1

1 5.88%
  • Story 2

4 23.53%
  • Story 3

7 41.18%
  • Story 4

5 29.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NS Monthly Challenge - #13 October 2010 - "A Halloween Duck Mystery" - Entries

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: NS Monthly Challenge - #13 October 2010 - "A Halloween Duck Mystery" - Entries

Story 1 - Where There’s a Costume Party…

This was a really enjoyable read! I loved the sheer amount of ecstatic detail that Chloe provided while musing over her love for the library. It’s something that I can relate to with great ease and fondness. I especially liked her inner comment about leaving her cell-phone behind so she can get some truly private time all to herself. LOL! I can certainly relate to that! I find myself also ‘accidentally’ leaving my cell-phone behind and then ‘forgetting’ to check for messages, just because I get fed up of being too available and on-call sometimes.

And considering how Chloe has been ‘on-call’ for YEARS as Clark’s side-kick, I can certainly understand why she would need some quiet and privacy all to herself.

I didn’t quite understand how the fic transitioned from Chloe craving privacy to Chloe desiring to attend a costume party. I guess she just wanted the ‘right’ kind of company, eh? In any case, the fic had a lovely, happy Chlex ending that I enjoyed.

Story 2 - À la Carte

There’s nothing like the thrill of the hunt, the exhilaration that comes with risk-taking, the surge of energy provided by the adrenaline pumping and filling both muscles and sinews. It makes her feel alive, that while the world’s moving fast around her and everyone in this leafy little hamlet is either sauntering in slow motion or standing still, she’s actually doing something to move forward and get closer to her dreams and the city which has never really left her.
    This was a hilarious fic, and I think this one was my favourite from the bunch! I loved the description of the exhilarated thrill that CHloe gets from ‘hunting’. I suddenly have a deeper understanding for her love for investigation and deduction and puzzle-solving. It’s not ‘just’ all about truth-seeking… but it’s also from the thrill of the hunt for truth, answers and solutions. From the risk of danger associated with the hunt, as well as the primal satisfaction one gets when one achieves a ‘kill’ or a target goal. The description of Chloe’s excitement was just so… visceral! I loved it!

LOL! It was hilarious hearing about how Chloe was running the mission in her sorry excuse for a ‘stealth vehicle’. I even liked how Chloe herself ruefully admitted that her car wasn’t really built for jobs of discretion like this one. Despite all that, I sensed a great fondness for her car in Chloe, and it was clear that she would never trade in her vehicle for something ‘more suitable’… no matter how much Lex begs her to let him buy her a new car, lol! And I’m sure he HAS begged!

ROTFL! Stealing an invitation from Lana? Pure genius! Very nicely done! I also find myself wondering how Lex is going to explain sending an invite to Lana but NOT to Chloe. I wonder whether he sent it to Lana knowing that Chloe would find some way to steal it? Perhaps Lex likes to indulge in Chloe’s thrill-seeking escapades, because he knows it excites her so very much… and he likes to see her happy (and getting her horny and excited is a decided bonus!).

The trick at the end of the ficlet was delightful and FUN! I loved that Chloe had gone through all of this stealth, sneakiness, recon and infiltration… all for the purpose of getting a secret family recipe. I loved how Chloe very nearly got the recipe, only to be caught by a very amused and indulgent Lex.

Most of all, I loved, LOVED how it was made clear that Lex and Chloe were intimately involved. Lex’s comment about Chloe’s mole was the perfect way to suggest, not only that they’ve been intimate, but also show how much obsessive attention he always pays to her. Whether she’s in her normal wear around him, or naked in bed with him… or ‘disguised’ in a maid’s outfit, he’ll always obsessively aware of her. Perfect!

Story 3 From Hell

A/N: Yes, I am aware that the AU challenge was last months’ but please try and enjoy it anyway.
    Quite honestly, I didn’t even think of anything ‘off’ about this submission to the challenge. I thought a story based on the story of the world’s most famous serial killer was the perfect piece for Halloween! And I loved the Chlexy twist given to this old legend.

First of all, I loved the way that the atmosphere was built up… about London, and about that particular period in London. The set-up was very nicely done… just enough details to give us a hazy picture of the place, without overwhelming us with too much information to distract us from the main plot. The insightful and interesting details about ‘street justice’ and riots and lynch mobs being incited because of the pervading FEAR caused by Jack the Ripper was fantastic. Are these details provided in the ‘From Hell’ graphic novel?

And I also liked the imaginative idea of turning Lex into a police detective. I never really imagined Lex as the civil servant kind of person (I always thought of him more as a industrialist and politician), but he fit quite nicely into this role.

LOL! The meeting with Chloe was fantastic! I loved how she drew out a pocket knife when she felt Lex grab her. She might be a small, petite blonde… but Chloe is quite vicious when she needs to be. However, Lex appears to be the more domineering and ruthless between the two of them, since he made it clear that he would, without hesitation, arrest her for ‘drunkenness and loitering’ if she didn’t cooperate.

LOL! I’m choosing to see those threats, from Lex, as signs of his fondness, affection and feelings of protectiveness for Chloe. He wanted Chloe OUT of this place, and did not want her fighting him while he was dragging her away to safety. And he knew that Chloe would struggle the moment she saw an opportunity for a lead or a clue in her sights.

Casting Chloe was a reporter was just perfect!!! I loved it! I especially loved getting the details of her past stories, making it clear that she was a hard hitting investigative reporter, who went looking for difficult stories in risky situations. No wonder Lex seems to be in a constant state of anxiety about her well-being. He’d probably prefer her to be one of those fluff-piece reporters who wrote articles for the society page. Instead, he finds himself enthralled with a reckless investigator who is, currently, on the track of a serial killing psychopath.

I loved the discussion about Chloe’s theories about The Ripper. Those were some very clever deductions made by Chloe… and I liked that quite a lot of her theories were agreed with and corroborated by Lex. This shows that Chloe is probably on the right track. Not only that, but Lex’s general agreement with Chloe’s theories shows that they two of them think alike enough to work together on finding this killer.

I think I see the potential for a full length epic being built from this ficlet. Any chance of this story being continued? I’d LOVE to see how it develops… especially considering that the killer now seems aware of Chloe and Lex getting closer to his trail *shudder*

Story 4 - Motivations

This was a great story with an excellent twist at the end. I have to admit, that I half-suspected that twist that was coming… mostly because this IS a Chlex forum after all. If this had been published on KryptonSite or some other generic Smallville fanfic site, then I probably would have been left guessing until the end. But over here, it was pretty obvious that we were receiving Lana’s point of view.

I do find it VERY interesting to examine my own mind and attitude by examining my reaction to this fic. I’m quite sure that I would have felt great sorrow, pity and outrage if it turned out that it was Chloe who had been driven to becoming a psychotic killer by the end if this story. Instead, finding out that it was Lana who had been left as the alone, friendless, isolated and insane narrator of this fic filled me with a sense of savage satisfaction.

I liked the idea of Lana being trapped in a lunatic asylum, because she had killed Lex and Chloe in a jealous rage. But I would have despised, hated and loathed the idea of Chloe being the narrator of this ficlet. Does this mean that I’m a two faced hypocrite who only feels sorrow and pity for the suffering of people that I personally like only?!? Or can I justify to myself that I have a valid reason for enjoying the image of Lana in the lunatic asylum?

Thanks for the great fic. It really made me think!

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Re: NS Monthly Challenge - #13 October 2010 - "A Halloween Duck Mystery" - Entries

I've moved up the voting deadline, from November 25th, to November 14th, which is this upcoming Sunday.

Be sure to vote if you haven't already!

Just a heads up! The voting deadline is today, in about 13 hours from now! So vote if you haven't, because there's a tie for the winner at the moment!

The deadline for voting was yesterday, but we still have a tie, so I'll extend the voting period until tomorrow (Nov. 16th) ending at 11:59pm Oslo, Norway time! So vote if you haven't yet!
    Last edited by Julie; 15th November 2010 at 08:38.

No charge for awesomeness

Phew! Finally got a chance to hop on and read these. Just put in my vote.
    Thanks for the great stories everyone.

I'm ashamed that I reached 800 words for this challenge and couldn't complete it before the deadline due to real life interference. Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeLovesLex View Post
    I'm ashamed that I reached 800 words for this challenge and couldn't complete it before the deadline due to real life interference. Bummer
    There's always another fanfiction challenge

Aaaand the winner is story number 3, written by Kit Merlot! Congratulations, and a well done to everyone!

Don't forget to check out the November fanfiction challenge!

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Aaaand the winner is story number 3, written by Kit Merlot! Congratulations, and a well done to everyone!

Don't forget to check out the November fanfiction challenge!
    Congratulation, Kit! It was a great story. I was a suspicion you were the one who wrote it!

Thanks to everyone who participated in the challenge!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Congratulations, Kit!

Just like Zannie I did suspect it was yours.

By the way, mine's #2- À la carte.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
    Chloe in the second one was adorable. I can just picture her in that costume (and it reminds me that I once plotted out a Chlex British murder mystery in which Chloe goes "undercover" as a maid!). And it was just so cute and in character for her to sneak in to steal a duck recipe for her father!
    The choice of costume was a last minute decision. I'd been racking my brains, trying to come up with something that might look subdued, that didn't attract that much attention but that was "naughty" at the same time;if that makes any sense. LOL I'm glad you liked it and found Chloe in character.

Quote Originally Posted by LexGirl View Post
    I thought story 2 was really good! I loved it! Especially the suggestion in the end, it makes me wonder what Lex was about to do!
    So many possibilities, right? ROTFL. You can bet they'd both enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by donhisiewen View Post
    Story 2 - It was a great build up, I was wondering what important thing she had to steal and it was a duck recipe.
    It was all about the build-up. The only idea I had in mind was that I wanted the duck to be part of a recipe and I wanted for it to be the goal of the fic and not just something mentioned in passing. The question was how to make it interesting enough and not to give away the ending.

I'm pleased to know the resolution surprised you.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post

Story 2 - À la Carte

This was a hilarious fic, and I think this one was my favourite from the bunch! I loved the description of the exhilarated thrill that CHloe gets from ‘hunting’. I suddenly have a deeper understanding for her love for investigation and deduction and puzzle-solving. It’s not ‘just’ all about truth-seeking… but it’s also from the thrill of the hunt for truth, answers and solutions. From the risk of danger associated with the hunt, as well as the primal satisfaction one gets when one achieves a ‘kill’ or a target goal. The description of Chloe’s excitement was just so… visceral! I loved it!
    Oh, having you single out my fic is a prize in itself! *big grin*

I've always thought that Chloe's been an adrenaline-junkie. I know she's interested in digging up the truth and seeing justice served, but there's always that need not to know if she might get caught.

LOL! It was hilarious hearing about how Chloe was running the mission in her sorry excuse for a ‘stealth vehicle’. I even liked how Chloe herself ruefully admitted that her car wasn’t really built for jobs of discretion like this one. Despite all that, I sensed a great fondness for her car in Chloe, and it was clear that she would never trade in her vehicle for something ‘more suitable’… no matter how much Lex begs her to let him buy her a new car, lol! And I’m sure he HAS begged!
    I miss Chloe's old Falcon and then her Beetle; they've accompanied her on so many missions and been as much a part of who she is as her vintage wardrobe.

ROTFL! Stealing an invitation from Lana? Pure genius! Very nicely done! I also find myself wondering how Lex is going to explain sending an invite to Lana but NOT to Chloe. I wonder whether he sent it to Lana knowing that Chloe would find some way to steal it? Perhaps Lex likes to indulge in Chloe’s thrill-seeking escapades, because he knows it excites her so very much… and he likes to see her happy (and getting her horny and excited is a decided bonus!)
    Well, this fic is set at a time when Chloe and Lex had distanced from each other and Lex was starting to pursue an agenda around Lana... so I don't think he sent the invitation for her to find it. Although, he might have done it unconsciously because the attraction was certainly there.

The trick at the end of the ficlet was delightful and FUN! I loved that Chloe had gone through all of this stealth, sneakiness, recon and infiltration… all for the purpose of getting a secret family recipe. I loved how Chloe very nearly got the recipe, only to be caught by a very amused and indulgent Lex.

Most of all, I loved, LOVED how it was made clear that Lex and Chloe were intimately involved. Lex’s comment about Chloe’s mole was the perfect way to suggest, not only that they’ve been intimate, but also show how much obsessive attention he always pays to her. Whether she’s in her normal wear around him, or naked in bed with him… or ‘disguised’ in a maid’s outfit, he’ll always obsessively aware of her. Perfect!
    Oh yes, they've been intimate! When I wrote the fic I pictured them as being intimately close in the safe house and then drifting apart but definitely missing each other's company. Chloe's mission and the costume ball were the perfect excuse to bring them together.

Since most of the fic focused on Chloe and I knew I'd have very little room to squeeze Lex in, I wanted his intervention to make a bang. It had to be funny, a little bit naughty and, at the same time, promising. Once I chose her costume, the mole popped in my head: "That's it! That's the way to show they've 'known' each other and wish they could go back to that intimacy."

Thank you all for reading and reviewing. And a big thanks to those who voted for my story- one vote short to tie with the runner-up. Nice!
    Last edited by lexie; 18th November 2010 at 05:58.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

First, thanks to everyone who voted for my fic, I appreciate it a great deal And I guess I gave myself away by visiting London and then three weeks later writing a story featuring Jack the Ripper himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
    I really liked the period setting of Story 3 and all of the cool historical details. The mood was nice and creepy, although I was very worried for Chloe out there on the streets by herself with Jack the Ripper on the loose! But I love the journalist backstory she was given here as well as the great Chlex interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by donhisiewen View Post
    Story 3 - I like the ending best. I've always been fascinated with Jack the Ripper and I found it really easy to visualize the dark and creepy atmosphere of the story.

I am glad that I succeeded in making this story creepy because that's what I was going for and I don’t know anyone who is creepier then Jack the Ripper. I also wanted both Chloe and Lex to be on the killer’s trail and for the killer to know that he was being hunted by two exceedingly clever individuals.

The insightful and interesting details about ‘street justice’ and riots and lynch mobs being incited because of the pervading FEAR caused by Jack the Ripper was fantastic. Are these details provided in the ‘From Hell’ graphic novel?
    I took the title From Hell directly from the title of the letter that the Ripper allegedly wrote to the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee and also as an homage to the wonderful Johnny Depp movie. I shall of course have to check this graphic novel out now

I’m choosing to see those threats, from Lex, as signs of his fondness, affection and feelings of protectiveness for Chloe. He wanted Chloe OUT of this place, and did not want her fighting him while he was dragging her away to safety. And he knew that Chloe would struggle the moment she saw an opportunity for a lead or a clue in her sights.
    That is what I was going for. I wanted Lex to know and respect Chloe’s work as a reporter but his overwhelming need to keep her safe from a mad killer forced him to be heavy handed with her.

I think I see the potential for a full length epic being built from this ficlet. Any chance of this story being continued? I’d LOVE to see how it develops… especially considering that the killer now seems aware of Chloe and Lex getting closer to his trail *shudder*
    and

Quote Originally Posted by LexGirl View Post

I thought story 3 was intriguing and well put together, especially around the backrop of the era of Jack the Ripper. I think the person who wrote this fan fic did a great job tying in Lex and Chloe as detectives in the story, seeking him out. I'd like to read more of this story! What happened next after they left the Plaid Duck?

I love that you want to know more about the Victorian detective versions of Chloe and Lex but I have to admit that I didn't have any plans to continue this into anything more--but who knows?

Again, thanks for reading and I appreciate all of this great feedback.
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 4th January 2011 at 03:55.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information