+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Surge - Complete

Oh poor Lucas!
    And poor Chloe too! You're so evil... And what about Lex?

Great chapter and more soon?

Aww, poor Chloe and Lucas! Gah! :crygreen:

Loved the chapter, please update soon!

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar
    :crygreen: Oh!....That...just...and... :crygreen:

Poor Lucas, poor Chloe!!! *sigh* You do realise that this isn't posted in the angst section don't you? You've gotta let Lex get out and find them! Pwetty Pwease?

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    I feel so sorry for both Chloe and Lucas, but as you know I'm still rooting for Lex! Please let him and Chloe meet again, soon! Great story!! :chlexsign4:

NS Full Member
    I’m so conflicted. I really do want Lex and Chloe to be reunited. But I’ve grown so attached to Lucas and I want him to be happy for a change. Except I don’t see it happening as his happiness is so tied in to his love for Chloe and little Alice. I think whatever burgeoning feelings Chloe may be having for Lucas would fly right out the window were Lex to come back into the picture. Either way I fear Lucas is going to end up getting kicked to the curb.

7 comes on too strong
    I was conflicted...but not anymore :biggrin:

He shook his head. “I’ve been quiet for a long time. I didn’t want you confusing me with Lex. But what I feel is real. I’m in love with you. With both you and Alice.”
    That's right Lucas....that's right... :

Oh..Chloe...you BETTER take him up on his offer!

Storyteller
    I have to think all of you guys for being so receptive to the story when I told you in the beginning that I had no idea about the final pairing. I hope you'll join me until the last part. This is the second to the last. Again, I adored all of your feedback and the fact that you loved both men in the fic.

XII. Destiny

It almost seemed like destiny.

Chloe tucked her daughter into bed and pressed a soft kiss on Alice’s forehead. She pushed the hair away from the little girl’s face. “Sweet dreams,” she whispered. Chloe hoped that Alice would have all the beautiful sleeps in the world while she’s young, because once you prove to the world that you have grown, nothing would be as innocent and wonderful as childhood dreams.

It seemed like destiny.

Chloe stood and walked towards the doors leading to the balcony. She did not want Alice to have a balcony so young. There was always the danger of falling. Accidents were just that. You never know when they will happen. Still, she adored standing out here at night. She and Lex had talked about a house like this. Chloe never doubted that she would have it. Of course, in all of her plans, she did not stand alone like this. Lex was always there, a looming figure, an indelible stamp. Yet here she was, with a rapidly growing daughter, standing alone.

Maybe it was destiny. But she didn’t want to believe it. Destiny was grand and beautiful and made of raindrops and roses and whiskers of kittens. It was sugar and spice and everything nice. If this was destiny, then it was bull. She felt cold. She was lonely. It was so dark. And she had no doubt that he was feeling the same way.

Chloe held on to the railing and gazed up at the sky. Once, she heard that you could see signs in the sky. They would tell you everything you need to know of your past, your present, even your future. She looked up and all she could see were stars. There were bright ones and there were dim ones. There were no signs there. Only memories of Lex who was not looking at the stars somewhere out there. Stupid promises and idealistic notions. Despite his insistence that distance did not matter as long as two people looked at the same star, she doubted he could see the sky where they buried him.

Chloe did not believe in destiny. She swore she did not. Especially because she had felt it pulling her where she did not want to go. Her philosophy was simple. Her philosophy had been real and proven. She had worked on it through her failed almost relationships and fulfilled it the moment Lex Luthor stepped into a small café one rainy night, just after the fight that she had thought would end their blossoming romance, and closed his hand around hers. No apologies, no smiles, nothing. It had been the single most romantic moment of her life, because Lex had been Lex. There had been a long moment of silence before he took his pristine handkerchief from his pocket and wiped the tears and rain from her face. He did not profess his love nor propose marriage. He dried her face and that was that. It was her definition of destiny.

Out of time and space, in the vastness of the universe, she had always believed that only one soul can touch her own, only one other spirit can comfort one person. When she had lost that person, she was desperate and lonely, but she knew.

It was more that she could say for herself now.

She blamed Lucas for all of this. She couldn’t even name one moment when her heart changed for him. There was no one second of discovery, the way it should be. Sometimes she wondered if it was that night she woke up and saw him picking up Alice’s crayons, or the afternoon he came to Alice’s field trip with a bag of fruits just because she packed junk food and forgot it was not allowed by the pre school, or maybe that morning when she got called to the office for an emergency rewrite and could not find a sitter, to find him sitting on the steps with a doll the same size as her daughter.

She treated him like dirt because he was at fault. He made her feel this way. He stabbed his dead brother in the back by doing this to her. She hated Lucas for making her love him.

~~

Sweat poured from every pore in his body. Lucas’ chest rose and fall at the exertion. Coldly, he pushed the button on his treadmill. He was going beyond his limits but he did not care. There was no way to better lose oneself than to run and run and know that no matter how fast or how long, you will never move forward and reach your goal. He discovered this a week ago. A week ago, he started running.

He wanted to run until his breath caught and he choked on the huge gulps of air that he took.

It took a while until his body forced him to grip the handles and stumble off the machine. Instead of sitting still or flexing the soreness out of his legs, Lucas pulled himself towards his stationary bike. He pumped his feet until his muscles screamed and still he did not stop. Too much to forget. Maybe, just maybe, if Lex’s heart should burst, they would replace it with someone else. Maybe then she would believe him. Thirty minutes later, Lucas’ rapid feet slowed on the pedals. His blood rushed up and he stilled. Five heavy pumps in a chest still held together by freshly healed flesh, and then it stopped.

Lucas toppled off the bike and hard on the floor.

He did not know how long it was that he kept his eyes open. His only view was of the white ceiling before gray death swept it away. And then he saw visions of Chloe, his brother, the little girl he saw as his daughter, and of every important person in his life. If death was like this, it was confusing. No wonder there were so many lost souls. Lucas waited for the dark tunnel with the light at the end.

Lex once mentioned something about how his new girl Chloe was going to be the death of him. Had his lips not been so stiff and cold, Lucas would have grinned then, because when he finally caught a glimpse of that light, Chloe’s face blocked it, and he couldn’t follow any longer. He heard frantic whispers that he could hardly understand. From what he gleaned though, Lucas knew that death was a blessing.

~~

Chloe flew up the flight of stairs. It was unusual for Lucas to ignore the doorbell. Chloe pushed open the doors of his apartment until she came upon a locked one. Frantically, she fished the key out of her pocket and opened the door.

When she saw him sprawled on the floor, dripping in sweat, Chloe rushed over to him. Her vision was blurred by the tears that flooded her eyes, but not one of those tears fell. “Are you crazy?” she demanded. “You are!”

She pulled on his shoulders and settled him on the floor flat on his back. “How can you do this?”

He was staring straight past her, and Chloe’s own heart shattered. “You’re not going to do this to us, Lucas,” she whispered. “Not you too.” She understood the thin line between rational thought and dementia at that moment. Had it not been for Alice, she would not have survived Lex’s loss. She could not bear to have this happen again.

It was the bravest thing she had done after raising Alice alone. Chloe laid her hand on Lucas’ scar and felt the hard sluggish pumping of Lex’s heart. She whipped her phone out of her purse and called for help. And then she kneeled beside him and kept her palm on Lucas’ chest. Making sure her voice was firm, she told him, “You are not leaving me, Lucas. You don’t have the right to make me fall in love with you then leave me.”

His blank gaze unsettled her, because she had heard of that same vacant stare. Chloe bent lower, so that the only thing he would be able to see if he could recognize anything was her face. “It’s not a question of whether you can or cannot, Lucas. You’re going to live for us.”

NS Senior Member Senior Member Béatrice's Avatar
    One more time, poor Lucas!!! Why did he do that? :crygreen:
    Catheryne, you can't stop here! I wante more and NOW! :yay:

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    hmy:

Okay, granted - I was expecting her to finally come to her senses and go to him - but I wasn't expecting him to have a heart attack! Damn it! Go write more!

Gea
    Just a Guest!
    hmy: Oh dear!! Lucas? Lucas wake up!

Chloe's reasoning is *so* well written! And how heartbreaking is Lucas wanting his heart replaced? Sigh!
    Saying this is second to the last part means you have the end alredy written? No? Planned at least? Give me some hope here!

:applause: Gaia

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information