+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Surge - Complete

Well....that explains how Lucas has 'Lex's' heart when Lex is actually alive.
    Does Lionel know Lucas is with Chloe? Hope Lex will go easy on Lucas when he finds out...
    :chlexsign4:

Love the update! God, Lionel is so evil! I can't wait until the truth is revealed and everyone can have their lives back. I hope Lex, Chloe, and Lucas team up and take down that bastard! More soon please!

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar
    What a bastard! ...oh yeah, he is the MB after all!!! Don't know how the man, no matter how ficticious he is, sleeps at night! Poor Lucas! Poor Lex! Hope that Lex can get away and find them. The carnival was adorable...if only it were with Lex!!!

NS Senior Member Senior Member Béatrice's Avatar
    Maybe I'm heavy about this subject but if Lucas has Lex's heart, whose heart does Lex own? Where Lionel found a heart? And Lex, why doen't he wonder?

Sorry if I'm a pain in the arse!

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar
    Béatrice if I'm not mistaken, Lucas only thinks he has Lex's heart coz that's what Lionel told him. Hope that helps :

Thanks! I didn't understand it like that. :blush:

Storyteller
    XI. Alice, Lucas and Chloe

The second she heard the news, Chloe dropped the phone and ran out of the publishing company she worked in. Her heart thumped heavily in her chest as she raced to get a cab.

When she arrived at her destination, Chloe stumbled out of the vehicle and rushed to the door, pushing her way to the information desk. The words of the daycare nurse still rang in her ears, about how Alice had fallen off the swing and taken to the hospital.

“Alice,” she gasped. “Alice Sullivan.”

The nurse typed the name into her computer and looked up at Chloe with a smile. “She’s in Room 104 in the meantime, but you can take her home today.”

Chloe did not have time to sigh in relief. Her feet took her to the room where her baby was being treated. Only then did the pang of long buried memories assail her. She gripped the doorknob and took a calming breath. The last time she had been in a hospital was murder to everything inside her. She was not going to live if it happened again.

She prepared herself for the steady beeps of machines pumping life into a vegetable. At the back of her mind she scolded herself for being so morbid. Chloe pushed the door open, holding back her tears.

Inside the room, Alice sat on the white bed with Lucas standing in front of her, armed with a marker.

“So then all of the kids in school would be so jealous of your funky cast!” Chloe heard Lucas exclaim animatedly. “Soon, they may even want their moms to get them casts even if they didn’t break their arms like you did.”

Chloe saw that Alice’s nose and eyes were still red and blotchy from crying. Chloe had not been here for the treatment itself. She was thankful that Lucas arrived.

“Thanks,” her daughter replied.

“Well you were the smart one. You’re the one who wanted to call me. The nurse told me.”

Chloe watched as the slightly hurting expression on her daughter’s face transformed to a proud grin. She stepped inside and cheerfully said, “Hey, sweetheart! The school called me to say you were hurt. How are you feeling?”

Her daughter turned to her and extended one arm for a half-hug. Chloe reverently kissed the child’s head. “Uncle Lucas signed my cast. Will you sign, mommy?”

“Of course I will,” was Chloe’s immediate reply. “Because a great cast is a cast full of colors and signatures.”

Lucas smiled at Chloe in greeting, and noticed how pale she was. When Chloe brushed a lock of hair away from her daughter’s eyes, Lucas noticed how much her hand trembled. “Alice, we’re going to make a rainbow on your cast. Would you like that?”

Alice nodded eagerly.

“But first, your mom and I will buy some more crayons. Okay?”

Lucas took Chloe by the arm and pulled her out of the room.

“Lucas, are you crazy? I’m not leaving my daughter.”

“You need water. And you need to calm down before you scare her. It took a long time to calm her after the accident.”

She snatched her arm away. “You don’t have to rub it on, Lucas,” she gritted out. “I’m fully aware that I wasn’t here and you were.”

He looked stunned at her speech. “I in no way implied anything like that, Chloe. Don’t put your words into my mouth. That’s not fair.” Lucas shook his head. “I happened to be closer, and I have a car. It doesn’t matter who made it here first. What matters now is that we’re both here, and she has two people to turn to. Just like any normal kid.”

She wanted to saw that Alice was not a normal kid. She wanted to slap him from just so easily saying that as if he were Alice’s father and that they were a happy family. Chloe wanted to hit him for arriving earlier than she did. At the same time as all of these, Chloe wanted to kiss him until he collapsed from asphyxia for the exact same reason.

She covered her face with her trembling hands. Somehow, after she had seen her baby girl and made sure she was all right, Chloe wanted to cry. So she did. It was only Lucas in front of her, and he had seen her cry too many times for Chloe to hide.

Lucas’ hands closed around her wrists and he pulled her hands away from her face.

“I won’t—won’t stop—crying just because—because you want me to.”

“Who said anything about stopping?” he asked huskily. “I just want you to remember I have several meters of absorbent cloth making up my shirt. That’s an awful lot of tears I can soak up.” Lucas pulled her to him and held her very close.

“It’s just,” she managed, “that she’s the only one I have left of—of—of Lex. When I heard—I—I can’t lose her, Lucas!” Chloe sniffled and rubbed her face into Lucas’ shirt. “And you think it’s stupid because I know it was just a fracture. But—“

“You’re putting words into my mouth again. One day, I’m going to record our conversations so I can play it back for you,” Lucas replied. His voice dropped. “Alice is not the only thing you have left of my brother, Chloe. You have me. You’ll always have me.”

Chloe pulled slowly away so she could look into Lucas’ eyes. “But she’s the only one that’s mine,” she told him, regarding him steadily.

Lucas met her stare with his own unwavering one. “So am I.”

“Lucas—“

“I’ve been yours for a long time, Chloe. Even when Lex was alive.”

“Don’t.”

He shook his head. “I’ve been quiet for a long time. I didn’t want you confusing me with Lex. But what I feel is real. I’m in love with you. With both you and Alice.”

“You love us because you feel it’s your duty to take care of us. Lex told you to.”

Lucas grabbed Chloe’s hand and pressed it to his chest again, the same way that he did when he went to her on that rooftop lifetimes ago. “How do you explain this?”

She felt the racing beat. Her eyes were sad. “Lex’s heart. Lex’s love.”

“Chloe, even if they didn’t replace my heart, I would love you and Alice more than I love myself.”

“How do I know that? Lucas, you have Lex inside you. I would always wonder.” She pulled her hand away, even if she wanted to lay her head on his chest for the rest of her life, to hear that heart that was both Lex’s and Lucas’ beat for her.

Lucas swallowed the bile that rose in his throat as he regarded Chloe’s expression. A thousand heartbeats, he stared at her, waiting for her to change her mind. Finally, he stepped back. “Then fuck this heart!” he spat out. Lucas turned around and stalked away.

Poor Lucas! :crygreen: Always rejected by Chloe.

Gea
    Just a Guest!
    Oh poor Chloe, all this turmoil in her feelings... And poor Lucas too!

Great chapter Catheryne!

Gaia

Yes, I am that Fabulous Senior Member tigerbaby's Avatar
    I'm sobbing my heart out here. Obviously my pleas are falling on deaf ears. *sigh*.

Poor Chloe. Torn in so many directions and not sure what to do. Guilt, anger and yearning.

Poor Lucas. Forever doomed to be in his brother's shadow.

Wonderful update Catheryne.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information