+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reluctant Queen (R)

Thanks for the reviews, you'll be happy to know that there aren't many chapters left. So here is chapter 50, (and yes I can't beleive I've written a 50 chapter fic and that people are still reading)...Fiona

-------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Smallville, its characters, all belong to someone else. (Sigh) I’m just borrowing them.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifty – Just Desserts

It was the second kick that woke Lex up. He blinked a few times to clear the sleep from his head. He glanced down to his hand resting on Chloe’s stomach. He smiled as he felt the baby move under his hand. Chloe shifted in her sleep and rolled onto her back. When she had settled down again Lex once more rested his hand on her stomach.

He glanced up into Chloe’s face her mouth was slightly parted. With his other hand Lex brushed her hair from her face. Lex’s mind drifted back to his first meeting with Chloe and he smiled as he remembered her slapping him for kissing her. ‘Now look at us,’ he thought, ‘soon to be parents.’

‘Victoria and Lady Bryce, and anyone else involved in their plans will suffer,’ he decided. They were *not* going to get away with what they had done. For Chloe’s abduction, for their attempted murder of Clark and for plotting to kill him, Chloe and their unborn child, Lex would make sure they were all executed.

He leaned forward and kissed Chloe’s mouth gently. Her eyes fluttered open and she smiled sleepily at him. “It’s wasn’t all a bad dream, was it?” she whispered.

“Unfortunately my love it wasn’t. Victoria is in the dungeons and Helen Bryce is still at large.”

“Someone is restless,” she said as she felt the baby move. Lex smiled and kissed her stomach gently before rubbing it. “Are you sure you want to talk to Victoria with me?” he asked.

“Very sure Lex,” she replied. “Very sure.”

“It will all be over soon,” he whispered as he pulled her closer. “Soon.”

--------------------------------------------------

Clark opened his eyes and then closed them quickly again. He raised a hand to his head and whimpered softly in pain as he felt the large bump. He moved slightly on the bed and cried out loud in pain as he jarred his broken leg.

“Clark,” a concerned voice spoke.

He opened his eyes once more and saw Lana hovering over him. “Lex and Chloe,” he gasped.

“They are fine,” she said. “They are both asleep at the moment.”

“Victoria and Lady Bryce, where are they?”

“Lady Hardwick is currently in the dungeons, but Lady Bryce is missing.”

Clark tried to sit up but Lana easily pushed him back down. “The physician says you are not to move,” she said.

“I need to talk to Lex,” he panted. “Helen’s plan…poison. She is going to poison them.”

Lana went to the door and, told one of the guards positioned outside to fetch the king immediately. He hurried off and Lana returned to Clark’s side. She took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently. “I have sent for the king,” she said.

Clark smiled gently and closed his eyes again.

LATER THAT NIGHT

Pete will be here in the morning,” said Lillian as she read the message. “He has been informed of what has happened. He said he found out that Lady Bryce’s husband died under suspicious circumstances and that he found a witness who said she murdered him.”

Lex nodded, “that doesn’t surprise me.” He had got come back from speaking with Clark. He had told him of Helen’s plans to poison them. And that Victoria had completely agreed with the plan. Lex hadn’t stayed long with Clark; the dark-haired duke needed his rest. Lana refused to leave Clark’s side and when Lex had left she once again positioned herself on the side of the bed, with Clark’s hand in hers.

Lex ran a hand over his head as he pictured his bruised and battered friend. “Duke Kent is *very* lucky to be alive,” Toby had said. ‘I nearly lost my best friend,’ thought Lex. ‘And if Helen Bruce isn’t found soon I could lose my wife and child.’

“The guard, Sean, confirmed Clark’s story about the poison,” said Lionel. “Security in the palace has been increased three-fold. Also the guards around the grounds and perimeter have been increased.”

“I think she, Lady Bryce, is still on the palace grounds,” said Chloe. The others all turned to look at her. “She will want to finish off the job,” she continued. “So she won’t have gone far. She still intends to strike, I don’t know if she’ll go ahead with her plan to poison us, but she will still try to kill us.”

“Maybe the two of you should leave Metropolis for a while,” said Lillian. “You could go and visit your father Chloe.”

“No,” said Lex. “I will not be driven from my own home.” “I agree,’” said Chloe and she moved to stand beside Lex. His took her hand and kissed it gently.

Lillian smiled, “it was just a suggestion. Deep down I didn’t think either of you would go for it.”

“Are you going to talk to Victoria now?” asked Lionel.

Lex nodded.

“Your mother an I will stay here,” he said. He glanced at Lillian when she was about to protest. “It’s better if just Lex and Chloe go my dear,” he said. Reluctantly Lillian agreed.

“Ready your highnesses,” said a guard. “Lead on,” said Lex. Tightening his grip on Chloe’s hand the made their way to the dungeon.

Despite everything that had happened, Victoria managed to keep her cool exterior. She continued to complain to the guards, asking them did then know who she was and how dare they treat her like this. For their part, the guards just ignored her.

She wondered where Helen was. She knew Justin was in one of the cells, but there had been no mention of Lady Bryce. And anytime she tried to ask a guard they refused to speak to her.

Suddenly the door to her cell opened and two guards stepped in. Victoria stood up and faced them, wondering what was going on. The guards moved to the side and Victoria gasped when she saw Lex and Chloe standing there.

“Sorry to disappoint you Victoria,” said Chloe, “but as you can see the *three* of us are still alive.” Lex wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer.

Victoria quickly gathered her composure and turned to Lex. “What is the meaning of this? Why am I being held here?” she demanded.

“Shut up,” said Lex, his voice dripping with anger. “You have no rights here. We have spoken to Sean and he was very informative. Also *Clark* was extremely helpful.”

“He’s dead,” Victoria blurted out, and then clamped a hand over her mouth as she realised what she had done.

“He’s not,” replied Chloe, “despite *your* best efforts we found him and he is recovering.”

“What happens now?” she asked.

“You will be executed tomorrow,” said Lex. “And if I could I would behead you myself.”

“Executed…tomorrow…please Lex, you can’t,” she pleaded.

“You don’t get to ask for anything. After everything you’ve done did you honestly think you wouldn’t be punished? You plotted with Whitney Fordman to arrange the abduction of Chloe and then organised to have Dominic killed so you wouldn’t be implemented. And then…then you hire someone to kill Chloe and me. What did you think you’d get? A reward…”

“But…but you can’t kill me,” stammered Victoria.

“Oh but it’s ok for you to arrange for us to be killed,” said Chloe. She walked right up to Victoria. “What gave you the right to decide that if you couldn’t have Lex no one could? Execution is still too light a punishment for you.” She slapped the other woman hard across the face and walked back over to Lex.

“Victoria Hardwick, you and your servant Justin will be beheaded tomorrow,” said Lex, and with that he and Chloe left the room. The cell door was shut on a screaming Victoria, as she begged and pleaded for mercy. But her cries fell on deaf ears.

Storyteller
    Ohhh crime SO does not pay... *shakes head*

*g* I adore your Chlex. They're just so perfect together. And Lex is turning out to be such a sappy daddy heehee

does it make me a bad person if i jump at the joy of someone bering executed?:badboy:
    i don't think so, coz victoria is the devil.

so glad that clark didn't die.

odd duck
    Originally posted by drina@Mar 9 2003, 03:09 PM
    does it make me a bad person if i jump at the joy of someone bering executed?:badboy:
    i don't think so, coz victoria is the devil.

so glad that clark didn't die.
    If that was what it took to make someone a bad person, then we all would be.

Yay!! Victoria is gonna die!! And Helen will be caught soon, right?
    :ilove: :sign4: :sign3: :sign2:

You know, I'm very anti-capital punishment in real life, but the more I think about this story, the more I feel like screaming "OFF WITH HER HEAD!!" Heh. Lex is just completely adorable in this story. Man, that kid is going to be doted on like none other. Yay for Chlexy goodness and happy endings! (Whenever they may come. )

petriebird18
    Just a Guest!
    HAHAHAHAHA! Victoria's gonna die!!! Now how will they catch Helen...hmmmmm? Ohhhh this is soooo good, i can't wait to read how Victoria acts tomorrow, at her beheadding. Ohhh i just love that, Chloe and Lex- Happy, Clark and Lana- almost happy(they still gotta realize they love eachother) Victoria, Justin, and hopefully Helen soon-DEAD!!!! i love it!
    ~Deidre~
    :love: Chlex :love:

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar
    Oh Fi...
    This fic is so great... I wish it could never have to end

:sign3:

im quite ambivalent about them catching victoria & helen.. cause that means this story gonna end soon........i dont want it to end. I Love this story...but then i wanna see them die a slow & painful death for what they put lex & chloe thru :ilove:

Mawhahahahahahaha.. Victoria is going to lose her head...snicker....

Loved it Fi.. so good

Suzanne

Ok here is chapter 51, this is dedicated to all the Victoria haters especially Not an Addict and scfichick who have been presidents of the 'Hate Victoria' club since I started this fic............Fiona

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fifty One – Heads Roll

Helen Bryce stretched; trying to undo some of the knots her muscles were in, due to the uncomfortable way she had slept. When she saw the guards dragging Sean off she knew something was up. Grabbing what she had needed she slit the guard’s throat before he knew what was happening.

She had moved through the palace grounds as the guards searched for her. She moved into places they had already checked and stayed there for a while until they returned to check again. When they brought Clark back to the palace, alive, she knew that everything had failed. Even Victoria and her servant had been arrested. And now the entire palace guard where looking for her. Deep down Helen knew she should be doing her best to get out of Metropolis, but she couldn’t leave yet. She would make sure Lex and Chloe were dead before she moved on.

‘I should have never taken this assignment,’ she thought. But to kill a crown prince and princess, the pull was too great to resist. The poison idea was now no good; it would have to be the more direct approach. Either a sword to the heart or the slitting of their throats would be the way. She took as deep breath and stretched her arms and legs, whimpering softly as her muscles protested.

Suddenly she heard a noise. She had spent the night in the small house the king and queen had given the princess for her birthday. Moving silently she made her way over to the window. She heard the muffled voices of two people speaking. Very carefully Helen opened the window a little to hear better what they were discussing.

“And it’s going to happen today,” said one servant.

“Yes,” replied the other. “Apparently at 12.00.”

‘What’s going to happen?’ thought Helen.

“Does the husband know?” asked the first servant.

“I think the king went to see him earlier. Poor man.”

“Well if you ask me *Lady* Victoria Hardwick deserves to be executed for what she did and what she was plotting to do.”

“At 12.00 you’ll get to see it happen. She’s being executed then.”

Helen stumbled back from the window. ‘She’s being executed,’ she thought. ‘They are actually going to go ahead with it.’ She began to panic. What to do? Leave or stay? Finish the job or not?

‘Victoria is going to be executed…today,’ a voice in her head screamed. ‘If you stay the very same will happen to you.’

Falling to her knees Helen tried to decide what to do, and also she needed to move somewhere else.

“You don’t look so good,” joked Pete as he looked at Clark.

The dark-haired man managed a weak smile back at his friend. “I don’t feel too good either,” he said. “I have a headache that doesn’t seem to want to go away and my leg is killing me.”

“Ah yes, but you also have the lovely Miss Lang fussing over you,” said Pete with a grin.

“The one and only good point,” replied Clark with a smile as he thought about the brunette girl.

“But seriously my friend, that was one *very* close call.”

“I know Pete, believe me for a moment I did think it was all over for me.”

“Can’t keep a good man down,” grinned Pete as he squeezed his friend’s shoulder.

Chloe stood staring out the window. She was thinking over Pete’s story of how Lady Bryce’s husband had been killed. Unconsciously Chloe moved her hand to her throat. Lady Hardwick was being executed soon, but Helen had still not been found.

“I want this to be over,” she whispered to herself.

“It will be,” said Lex, coming up behind her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and she leaned back against him.

“I can’t help but think Lex, that everything that has happened has been…my fault.”

“Your fault,” exclaimed Lex, turning her in his arms so that she faced him. “How on earth is this your fault?”

“If you and I had never of gotten married, none of this would have happened. Victoria and Whitney would have never joined up to kidnap me. Victoria would have never hire Helen Bryce. Don’t you see Lex it’s my fault?" Tears filled Chloe’s eyes and began to run down her cheeks.

“Sweetheart, please tell this is not what you really think? If you want to place the blame on someone, blame me. I was the one who got involved with Victoria in the first place,” he said, gently brushing the tears from her face.

“But if you and I hadn’t of…” she began.

“If you and I hadn’t of met Chloe, my life would be incomplete. I love you; I love you more than anything. I could never imagine my life without you. Meeting and marrying you has been the best thing that ever happened to me. And despite everything that has gone on, I wouldn’t change a single thing. It’s not your fault; it’s not my fault. It’s all the fault of one deranged Victoria Hardwick, who at 12.00 today will finally get what she deserves.”

Chloe wrapped her arms around Lex and buried her head in his chest and cried. He rubbed his hand up and down her back, murmuring words of comfort as he did. She needed to do this; she needed to let it all out.

After a few minutes the cries stopped. She lifted her head to look at him. “I’m being silly aren’t I?” she said with a weak smile.

“Well, you did marry me…” he trailed of with a smirk, echoing a conversation they had when they first got married.

“And it was the best thing that ever happened to me,” she said. “And I wouldn’t change a thing. I love you Lex.”

He kissed her forehead and held her close again. “Lex I don’t want to see the execution, I know earlier I said I did but now…”

“I understand, let’s go to the house till it’s over,” he said and felt Chloe nod in agreement against his chest.

“Poor Lord Hardwick,” said Lillian as they made their way to the courtyard. “My heart goes out to the poor man.”

“He was quite devastated,” said Lionel, “I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He left Metropolis almost immediately to stay with his daughter form his first marriage. Personally I don’t think he’ll return.”

“Lex and Chloe aren’t going to be present. Lex said Chloe didn’t feel up to it. They’ve gone to the summer house until later.”

“I think that is for the best,” said Lionel. They entered the courtyard and took their places. The executioner stood ready and Victoria’s servant was led out first.

‘This is just to scare me,’ thought Victoria as the guards came for her. ‘They won’t really go ahead with it. They just want me to tell them where Helen is.’ Four guards surrounded her as they walked into the courtyard.

She glanced up and saw the executioner, his axe by his side. Looking around she saw the king and queen, but there was no sign of Lex. She began to panic and found her legs wouldn’t move. A guard behind her pushed her and on shaky legs she began to walk again. She was led up the steps and placed in front of the block.

The king stood up. “Victoria Hardwick, you have been charged and found guilty of treason against the crown, punishable by beheading. Have you anything to say?”

“I don’t know where Helen Bryce is,” she shouted, her voice a strange combination of anger and fear. “You can stop this charade.” The king nodded at the guards and he sat back down again, taking Lillian’s hand in his.

Victoria felt hands on her shoulders pushing her to her knees. She glanced down in to the basket on the other side of the block and began screaming when she saw Justin’s head. She tried to get up but the hands kept her down.

“I hate this part of being king,” murmured Lionel as he watched Victoria’s head being placed on the block. “Even when they do deserve it.”

“This is not happening,” she screamed, “he was mine, she took him away from me” she tried to struggle.

Lionel raised his head, held it for a moment and then dropped it. The executioner raised his axe and brought it down quickly. Victoria Hardwick’s head was severed from her body, as she was in mid-scream. Lillian lifted her head from Lionel’s shoulder and opened her eyes.

“One down” she said softly. “One to go.” Lionel squeezed her hand gently.

Chloe snuggled closer to Lex on the large couch. They had spent the last few hours talking about how the nursery was to be decorated and who would be the godparents. She knew the execution had taken place and that Victoria was now dead. But she refused to dwell too much on it. She was here, in Lex’s arms and that was al that mattered.

“Chloe stop wriggling or this couch may get a second christening,” he said with a smirk.

“Is that a *threat* your highness,” she replied with a smirk of her own. She moved slightly so that she was on top of him. Lex moved his hands to her waist and pressed her down onto his groin, causing both to groan. “No, it’s a *promise* your highness.”

With a laugh she kissed him. But soon mouths opened and tongues tangled. Soft moans filled the room as they kissed.

“Well isn’t this cosy,” a voice sounded.

Lex and Chloe sprang apart to see Helen Bryce standing in the doorway, a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other.

“Time to finish the job,” she said, “It’s time to finish it.”

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information