View Poll Results: Which story is your favourite?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Story 1

5 25.00%
  • Story 2

11 55.00%
  • Story 3

3 15.00%
  • Story 4

1 5.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NS Monthly Challenge - #12 September 2010 - "AU challenge" - Entries

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: NS Monthly Challenge - #12 September 2010 - "AU challenge" - Entries

It seems three people went for The Ball- actually it was one of my suggested prompts when we started brainstorming topics before the first challenge. *grin* However, they approached it in very different ways, so congratulations to everyone.I loved that in the three of them Chloe and Lex defied the conventions of their times in some way or, at the very least, they felt the urge to rebel against them. *really in character*

I liked the development of the first one and agree with everything that Zannie said about this ficlet, but I have to say I found the ending really disturbing. *shudders* The second one was my favourite; I enjoyed the verbal judo a lot and the fourth one was pretty original.
    Last edited by lexie; 3rd October 2010 at 20:40.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Don't forget to vote if you haven't already, the deadline's October 15th 17:36 Norwegian time*

*Why the weird time? That was when I made the poll, and it closes automatically x days later.
    Last edited by Julie; 11th October 2010 at 13:43.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

The poll is closed, and the winner is story number 2, which was written by Ultra! Congratulations, and well done everyone!

Don't forget to check out the October challenge, "A Halloween Duck Mystery"!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Congratulations, Ultra. Yours was my favourite of the lot. Mine is # 3-Wallflower.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post
    Story 3 WALLFLOWER

I enjoyed the visual metaphor established at the beginning of this story… painting Chloe as a wallflower, and Lex as a ‘thoroughbred stud for sale’. It’s obvious that the two personalities feel stifled, constrained and frustrated with the labels, and the roles that they’ve been trapped in.
    I toyed with the idea of calling this fic "Wallflowers" (in the plural) since Lex has always been on the fringes- just as much as Chloe- when it comes to human affection, but Wallflower is such a femenine term that I couldn't bring myself to do it. LOL.

Story 3 WALLFLOWERThe interesting re-mixing of the character was fun to read about. In particular, it was interesting to see how having Lillian alive in Lex’s life made her more ‘human and real’, and therefore more ‘chore’ and source of frustration, rather than the idealized angel that Smallville-Lex tends to paint her as.
    SV!Lillian is a young boy's idealised angel but she is such an important figure in his life and someone who's defined his "meaningful" relationships with the opposite sex to such an extent that I wanted her to be there. Poor Lex surrounded by vultures and hacks,;he needed an ally in that ballroom- at least, until he could identify his match .

The ending was lovely. I liked how it ended on a note of high potential, where you can see Lex and Chloe are kindred souls who have just met with each other… and are just about to embark on their first unforgettable conversation with each other. Fantastic ending!
    The ending was a definite beginning. I'm a sucker for hopeful resolutions.

Thanks for the lovely feedback, Sabrina.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
    The third one used the wallflower trope, which is a feeling most girls can connect to, at least to a certain extent - making it a great way in to a historical story for contemporary readers.

It was almost as much fun for me to figure out who wrote the stories as it was to read them! I think I know three of them, but we'll see when the winner is announced.
    The wallflower trope is kind of trite, I know. In fact, I'd thought of something altogether different, but I simply couldn't tell it in1,500 words. Not suprisingly, most of the entries were set at a ball.LOL.

I'm assuming you did know which fic was mine.
    Last edited by lexie; 16th October 2010 at 19:32.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Congratulations, Ultra! Yours was the story I couldn't place the writing style, and that's twice in row I couldn't recognize your style. I'll start assuming that, if I can't recognize the style, it must be yours!

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    The wallflower trope is kind of trite, I know. In fact, I'd thought of something altogether different, but I simply couldn't tell it in1,500 words. Not suprisingly, most of the entries were set at a ball.LOL.

I'm assuming you did know which fic was mine.
    Oh, I didn't mean it was trite! Tropes are tropes for good reasons - because they work so well and usually connect so perfectly to human experience. Nearly all women can relate and respond to the idea of being a wallflower, which makes it an immediate emotional entryway into your story. It's a good thing!

And, yes, I knew it was yours!

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

i loved all the stories they were amazing.

Wow, I've entered so many of these and this is the first time I won! And by quite a margin... I am in awe, since I really didn't think this was my best at all!

Many thanks to everyone who voted, and here is some response to the lovely feedback that was left for my fic...

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeLovesLex
    Loved all of the stories from this months challenge. It was truly hard to choose one. I liked different aspects of each story.

I ended up voting for number 2 because of these lines though:

"“Have no fear, Miss Sullivan” he whispered to her as he led her to the centre of the room in preparation for the dance, “This is only a means to an ends, and in no way a proposal”

“Just as well, Mr Luthor” she smiled, eyes dancing with fun, “If you did ask, I should only refuse”

It was such a great Lex and Chloe exchange that I couldn't resist it.
    Thanx so much, CLL I was worried this wouldn't really work, throwing Chloe & Lex into a Pride & Prejudice kind of a setting but clearly it did. The dialogue was fun to do, and I'm so glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy
    Story 2 An Unsuitable Match

LOL! This was a really fun and funny ficlet. Chloe’s and Lex’s introduction alone was really memorable and funny. I was delighted to see that Chloe managed to make quite an impression on Lex from the very first words that she spoke at him. Not only that, but Chloe also managed to convey a very honest and direct impression of her personality from the very beginning of their acquaintance… and Lex was completely enchanted!!!

I was so pleased to see that Chloe continued to be bold, direct and even brash during her entire conversation with Lex. She actually told him, outright, about her father’s obsession with getting her landed as a trophy wife to a rich husband. AND she told him that she’s actually not interested in such a role for her life, thank you very much. I get the feeling that she has NOT been nearly as bold and direct with the other men this evening… but probably saw something in Lex that inspired direct honesty from her. How wonderful!

I was also so pleased with and proud of Lex for NOT giving even the slightest hint of condescension or amusement when Chloe told him about her aspiring plans to become an independently earning writer. He not only took her dreams seriously, but ALSO agreed that she is well capable of fulfilling this dream of hers… no matter what the obstacles in her path.

I loved the way that Lex was enthralled with Chloe’s passion, intelligence and drive… and how Chloe herself was delighted to finally, FINALLY meet a kindred soul who took her seriously!

LOL! It’s only fitting that the end of story summed up how they both were well aware that a marriage between them in only inevitable. Although they both also know that Lex will have to spend some time wooing Chloe properly in order to prove that he can have a place in her life alongside her passion for her writing. Brilliant, sweet story, with a brilliant, sweet ending!
    Aaw, thank you so much, Sabrina. You totally made me blush with your lovely words about my story!

As much as I wanted to make this true to the period I was writing about, I refused to have Chloe be all simpering and sweet and... well Lana-like I guess. She ahd to be herself. I was thinking Elizabeth Bennett to start off with but with the whole writing thing and refusing to back down, I suppose I also had Jo March in mind.

I think Lex is perhaps the only one there who was man enough to take Chloe on, especially as her mood got worse and more angry throughout the evening. He is bored of simple, easy women just throwing themselves at his feet and agreeing with him non-stop. Our Mr Luthor likes a challenge, and this he sees in Chloe.

Oh, I meant for it to sound as if they would be married one day, just its gonna take some time and effort, like you said

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie
    The second one had a cool Austenian feel to it, particularly the final snippet of dialogue.
    Thanks, Zannie, Austenian was exactly what I had in mind. I started out thinking I would pretty much re-write the scene in Pride & Prejudice when Darcy & Lizzie first dance together at Netherfield, but I ended up doing it with the conversation first and the dance after, just because it worked out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zannie
    Congratulations, Ultra! Yours was the story I couldn't place the writing style, and that's twice in row I couldn't recognize your style. I'll start assuming that, if I can't recognize the style, it must be yours!
    I'm not sure if its a good or bad thing that you can't ever place my style, though its probably just because you haven't read much of my work before. I know that lexie can often pick my stories out of a line up

Quote Originally Posted by lexie
    The second one was my favourite; I enjoyed the verbal judo a lot
    Aaw, thanks, lexie, I am proud to have written your favourite The verbal judo is just so much fun, in any setting at all! lol

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Congrats, Ultra!
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

No charge for awesomeness

Congratulations Ultra!!!

Thanks everyone for your entries. I really liked this months theme. It was a great challenge and lots of fun.

Congratulations, Ultra!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information