+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Story Information Post and Ongoing Sign Ups

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Summer Story Information Post and Ongoing Sign Ups

Quote Originally Posted by Rachet View Post
    I thought that she would PM us as a reminder. Or to let us know if the person before us wanted to skip their turn.
    Oh man, now I'm confused
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Hey guys. Computer problems and some RL issues got together and put me behind in this. I am contacting the next person on the list right now, though.

I wanted to take a minute and address people's concerns about writing a certain type of story, because I think we all have that concern about different genres, so I totally get the worry. I just want everyone to know that the great thing about a round robin is that it actually doesn't have to be just one kind of story. If a person doesn't feel like they want to pursue something like the mystery angle, then that's a great time to add an element that they do feel comfortable with. It won't disrupt the story, but will actually make it richer, taking it from "mystery/suspense" to "mystery/suspense/romance/humor". They layering is the best part of the multiple author scenario.

So if it's your turn and you decide that you want to use it to delve a little into the romance aspect, have some flirting, explore feelings or maybe you want to go angsty with it, have a heart to heart, an exchange of guilt ridden glances, accidentally shoot a minor character then that's great, too.

Also, remember that you're not actually confined to the very next moment of the story. Time is conveniently flexible in fiction. For instance, there's never a bad time for a flashback. That can definitely lend itself to steering away from one aspect to a story and introducing a new one. For the sake of example I'll use the ending of westwingwolf's part.

Only the room wasn’t a room so much as a large area the size of an airplane-hanger. And the scientists definitely weren’t testing new methods for creating environmentally-friendly paper-making.

“Hello Ms. Sullivan.”

Funny thing about spying is no matter how skilled or how much one could prepare; there was always one problem that couldn’t be tackled. If caught by someone who knows you by name, then you are screwed.

“Hello Lex.”
    Possible continuation one:

Despite the tenseness of the situation, Chloe couldn't help but remember when things had been different between the two of them...

Insert flashback

Possible continuation two:

Chloe woke up with a massive headache. Her encounter with Lex in the Edison Street facility had been both enlightening and frustrating. She wasn't sure what to make of it and she didn't have time to really process it all as she was late for...

Insert whatever you want Chloe to do for the day

So things like that can let people fold in a new layer and then when a writer comes up that wants to go back and fill in those specifics they can. And it's all good because every part helps flesh out the story in a different way.

So I hope that helps some, but an ongoing dialogue about the direction of the story and all of our feelings and concerns is definitely wanted. Also, if anyone sees where the story is at and simply doesn't feel like that's a place that they want to pick up from, it's totally cool to pass.

~Sarah~

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This helps a great deal Sarah--thanks
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Thats very helpful, Sarah. I really hadn't looked at it in that way. Thanx

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar

I am now away for the next five weeks! And with all likelihood will not see a computer at all ( I may die of withdrawal) so if and when the story continues I will have to pass my go until I am back near the end of august. sorry guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information