Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lurking: A Defense Of

Re: Lurking: A Defense Of

What truly baffles me is the fact that people like curi are fine with spending time writing a long rambly post... on the fact that they don't want to post at all? I'm fairly certain thats what we call a contradition in terms! lol

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momdaegmorgan View Post
    However, we are not a very Lana/Lois/Clark-friendly environment, and someone who is a big fan of one or more of those characters may not feel comfortable in becoming an active part of the community. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I've become more of a lurker lately. I just don't feel comfortable anymore being involved in threads that, more often than not (at least in my experience), end up turning into character bashing.
    I think I have a tendency to take my dislike of various SV characters who aren't Chloe or Lex and stuff it way down inside until I get to here because I think of this place (and my live journal) as being safe havens where I can spew all of my dismay at how terribly Chloe and Lex were treated by the writers and how other characters are placed on pedestals and excused for their every mistake.

But I would never want to make anyone feel unwelcome from posting their own personal viewpoints on characters and if I have done that then I sincerely apologize.

And getting back to the “lurker status”, I do think it's important for a community to have an active membership and I think that’s all the posting rule is trying to promote.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

I don't have much of a defense of being a former Lurker...

RL got in the way for while which stopped me from visiting the site, but even before that I was lazy...in that I read many of the wonderful stories created here but didn't leave a review or comment. Which is something I intend to change; as people spend time to create the stories that I enjoy and I think the least I can do is spend a minute to give a few comments on it; so from here on out I intend to do my best!

xx Damaged

Quote Originally Posted by momdaegmorgan View Post
    I'm going to speak up here and say something that I had avoided bringing up for the past few months.

Yes, we are a Chlex community, and therefor, this is a safe place to come and discuss the pairing (and the characters individually) without worrying about what people may think. However, we are not a very Lana/Lois/Clark-friendly environment, and someone who is a big fan of one or more of those characters may not feel comfortable in becoming an active part of the community. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I've become more of a lurker lately. I just don't feel comfortable anymore being involved in threads that, more often than not (at least in my experience), end up turning into character bashing.
    I think this is a very interesting and valid point both in conjunction with and independent of the recent participation standards. I know that my own posts have occasionally slipped into that character bashing trend. Much as I dislike what the show has done with some characters, it's important to put that into perspective so we can keep this a place where many people feel welcome and included.

NS Junior Member

I really don't see what the big deal is. I've been busy and haven't been reading as much as I would like. I very easily get lurker status. That doesn't stop me from posting a comment so that I can read.

On that note, now that I am de-lurked with this comment. I'm off to read some Back from the Dead by Lexie

NS Member

I agree with Curi's comments.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

And here we go round again. Some time has past and I know my participation hasn't wavered but it has changed. I'm not reading as much fanfiction as I used to. I don't know if that's me or the community. It's probably me, but I have noticed the stories I used to read and used to be updated somewhat regularly haven't been updated. This participation from those writers being down could be because of lack of interest in the show as it was this way before the new rule. Those writers who use to participate could have longed moved on and never be coming back. Then again it could be because people have lives and are not as active, I have a somewhat half-life, and I haven't done much fanfiction lately.

I have noticed the increase in complaints of the Clark & Lois characters recently. In fact, I have participated in them a lot. It pretty much accounts for what I am posting these days. And I say that's because of where the show is going and people have complaints, we've always had these complaints, and we like this place because other people share these complaints and they will listen. It's no fun to rant if no one will listen, and rarely any fun if no one will agree. So as one of the few places that allow the comments against characters, writers and show that I tend to agree with and allow me to let that frustration out and not keep it in and drive myself crazy, I'm not going to apologize. I'd just as easily read comments in favor of those things. I may not agree. I may not comment, but I'd never hate you for saying it, and I certainly wouldn't want my comments to be the reason to drive you away. But if there was a rule telling me I can't complain about the show anymore, that would drive me away faster than anything else. Petty? Hell yeah. Going to change? Not likely. But please feel free to make your comments in appreciation for whatever characters you wish because I love hearing both sides, and there is always a chance that it could melt my cold, hard heart.

So what was the point of this post? I don't know if this is going to change anything. I don't know if it will bring anyone back. I just know I'm sad, and I'm not reading like I used to, and I want to come back and love this 'ship like I once did, but I don't know when that will happen. I just hope this place is still here when I do.

NS Senior Member Senior Member sydsvaughn's Avatar

I just wanted to add my own belief that I don't see the lurker policy as a punishment, but to make us more active as a place for Chlex love and goodness. I admit, I don't post as often as I used to, basically because I've fallen off SV since Lex left and Lois came on, and because of RL, but I forget how much I love the people that post here, people that have been with me since day one of the Chlex fixation and new ones I'm meeting for the first time. This site has always been a haven for me, even when I don't visit as often, but knowing the people here are connecting and posting, and engaging in keeping Chlex alive in some form is a huge draw for me to both come back and to post. And while I admit to probably leaning into character bashing now and then (because I have such strong opinions), I apologize for anyone that might have made uncomfortable, I don't mean to, but like someone else mentioned, I guess I see this place as a haven of sorts.

So I guess what I'm saying is that through posting, I'd like to get to hear from and know people like Curi, or other lurkers, who hopefully would find this community so welcome and active that they WANT to post and to connect. I hope they'd read and respond to fanfiction as well because they were moved, or confused, or annoyed, or emotive of some sort and needed a way to express it. That to me is what I see the posting issue related to -- not a punishment, but a way of getting to know each other better, getting more response and posting of good Chlex fix to get us through the seasons long drought, and keeping this community alive and kicking. Because I don't know what I'd do without one place on this monster we call the Internet where I can comment on the diabolical loveliness of Lex, the journalistic brilliance of Chloe, and the star-crossed romance of Chlex.

And my own vow is made to post more and become more active, because, let's face it, we Chlexers need to stick together and I can't think of a better "gatherer" than N-S.net.

SaraC

Members

OK. I'll share my thoughts. Real life sometimes really takes charge and you can't spend time encouraging people or talking. I'll just tell how I felt. I could steal a few minutes to myself ( like it was said before - a personal heaven time?) and I decided to read old favs and check what have I been missing. Really, I had five minutes. This is a community for people around the world , and honestly not all of us have english as our first language and tha makes us spend lots of time thinking if we're expressing ourselves correctly, if we are not using unintentional bashing words, and finding encouraging messages. Not all of us are english teachers, OK? I spent MY fiive minutes having to post to regain a status. How I felt? I guess I said it all. I love some of you(writers), I've been around for some time, but I'm not sure I want to spend my whole personal time proofing what I'm writing to make sure I'm not offending anyone because I'm obliged to post even if I don't have the time. I think if there were more initiatives like Cy made we would be around more often than by this kind of rules. I tried to take part on that. Sorry if it offended anyone, mispelled anything, but now I do have to go. Without any Chlex.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

All right, I think I'm going to close this thread now. Seems like both sides have been able to express their opinions on the lurker policy. And I've said this many times before, I respect everyone's opinions, and you're all entitled to it, but I will not change this rule.

Thank you.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Closed Thread

Thread Information