Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New policy - Limited forum access for inactive users (updated Oct. 14th 2010)

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Exclamation New policy - Limited forum access for inactive users (updated Oct. 14th 2010)

With the new version of vBulletin, the forum software NS Forums runs on, there's also new possibilities to customize the forums and the forum access.

This has not been possible before, but with this new version of vBulletin it is.

From today and forward, if you are not active on the forums you will be moved to one of the following user groups.

* Lurkers
    * Inactive users

Lurkers
    If a member has not posted on the forum for a defined number of days (30 days) then they will be moved from their existing usergroup to the Lurkers group.

Lurkers do not have access to the fanfiction forums, music video forums, arts forums, and Off Topic Entertainment forums.

As soon as a member posts a post or thread they will be moved back to their original user group.

Inactive Members
    If a member has not visited the forum for a defined number of days (180 days) then they will again be moved from their existing usergroup to the inactive users group.

As soon as a member logs in they will be moved back to their original user group.

You can read more about how to get out of the lurker usergroup here.
    http://forums.naughty-seduction.net/...ers-user-group

This is effective immediately.

Update regarding the lurker mode (Limited forum access for inactive users)

Updated on October 14th 2010:

There's been way too many "delurking" type of posts, where people simply type just about anything to get that one post done.

Examples like, "delurking", "just posting to get out of lurker-mode", ... I've even seen "post".

From now on, if I find someone posting a typical "delurking" post, I will delete that post, and put you back in the lurker group!

So if you find yourself suddenly marked a lurker*, simply take a moment to comment on the latest Smallville episode. Didn't watch it? No problem, comment on someone's artwork.

Don't know art? Not a problem either, tell people if you think it looked nice. No need to get into details such as the technical aspect of it. A simply "I liked the banner you posted", will suffice. But, be truthful peeps, don't go around lying to people JUST to get out of the lurker mode.

What can I do to stay far, FAR away from the lurker group?

All it takes, is one (1) post each month. One.

An alternative is getting a paid subscription. Paying members aren’t affected by the script that looks for inactive users. As a paying member you also get an ad-free board, as well as more features like upgraded private messages inbox capacity, the ability to upload your own avatar and more.
    Last edited by Julie; 21st October 2010 at 07:01.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: Lurkers - How to get out of the Lurkers user group

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    If you've been inactive for a while, you've been moved to the user group called "Lurkers". The Lurkers have limited access to the forums, amongst the forums you don't have access to is the fanfiction forums, music video forums and the arts forums.
    I think that's evil, ruthless and brilliant, Julie! It's a strategy worthy of a Luthor to keep members actively posting. I can imagine that it would inconvenience many inactive members who might only wander back into the forum because they feel the urge to re-read some old favourite fic, but it seems pretty easy to get back onto active status again. And for people who are genuinely too busy to post up anything too often... one post per month is seriously not all that difficult.

I don't know where you keep getting these ideas to facilutate and encourage forum paricipation, Julie, but it always strikes me as awe-inspiring.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post
    I think that's evil, ruthless and brilliant, Julie! It's a strategy worthy of a Luthor to keep members actively posting. I can imagine that it would inconvenience many inactive members who might only wander back into the forum because they feel the urge to re-read some old favourite fic, but it seems pretty easy to get back onto active status again. And for people who are genuinely too busy to post up anything too often... one post per month is seriously not all that difficult.

I don't know where you keep getting these ideas to facilitate and encourage forum participation, Julie, but it always strikes me as awe-inspiring.
    Haha!

Well, a community is made up of those users who are active, so it would be great if we could get more active users
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post

I don't know where you keep getting these ideas to facilutate and encourage forum paricipation, Julie, but it always strikes me as awe-inspiring.
    You can also blame me because I've been poking her with this evil idea for quite some time. I'm always complaining about people hanging out here for hours on end without giving the community a little bit back for all the enjoyment they get from this fantastic Chlex Haven. Isn't that right, Jules? After all, isn't participating and being a family what a community is really about?

So, come on, guys, a comment a month as somethingeasy's just said isn't that much!
    Last edited by lexie; 3rd April 2010 at 17:09.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Oh, I totally agree with this new policy! It bugs me to no end knowing there are people reading my fics and yet never bothering to leave a comment. Seriously, how long does it take just to say 'I like this' or 'This is cool'. Thats all I'm asking for!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Oh, I totally agree with this new policy! It bugs me to no end knowing there are people reading my fics and yet never bothering to leave a comment. Seriously, how long does it take just to say 'I like this' or 'This is cool'. Thats all I'm asking for!
    It's true.Three little words or even one can mean the world to us, and they don't even have to be praising because we can also learn from constructive criticism- well, that'd require a few more words but you know what I mean.
    Last edited by lexie; 3rd April 2010 at 17:52.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

This is a good idea!!!! thank you for the new site!!

The Masked Phantomess Senior Member Augustine86's Avatar

Ah, Julie, you're a harsh mistress... But I guess that with that Bitch stick you carry around, I shouldn't be surprised. I feel properly chastised... If I had the capacity to feel shame I would, but this Forum has cured me of that particular malady. I promise to try not to lurk!

Sneaky...verrrrry sneaky. I will have to make an effort to stop being a lurker. It's well worth it.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

LOL!! Priceless.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Closed Thread

Thread Information