Closed Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New policy - Limited forum access for inactive users (updated Oct. 14th 2010)

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Loooooooooooooooooooooong post here :)

I understand there was good reason to implement the idea. I'm all for the board being more active, and I'm willing to help anyone who honestly wants to make the effort and is just a little afraid to make a post. But I think the evidence is in that this isn't working so well. Old members of every kind: lurkers, writers, ones who have left and come back have each weighed in on the issue, and there are legitimate concerns. New members may not like this place if they feel forced to participate. Yes NS is the only stable place one can find Chlex fanfiction, but it is dying either because no Lex on Smallville, or other Chloe pairings are getting a better push, or just because no one cares. I'd hate the reason that nobody came here anymore be because they didn't feel they had freedom to do as they wish. If a lurker wants to lurk, they are going to lurk, if they feel threatened, they will leave. No lurker will say to their friend, hey check out this site, it's a really great place to read some great fic, and those new people might have been someone who would review. Then we're a community of the same people posting on everything, and no chance of new people coming out when ready. Then everyone loses momentum, writers leave, and suddenly there is nothing left.

I understand that it is difficult to make scripts for every special thing, and I don't want you do so. I think that's a lot of effort for something that isn't your real life job. I don't want to push you do something, just as I don't want to push lurkers to do something.

My fear is that this will be more hurtful than helpful in the long run, and I'd hate to see the board dead. Even the irony wouldn't be enough to cheer me up and I love irony.

But all that said, if you keep this, I really think the paid memberships shouldn't be effected by this rule. They are paying so shouldn't have to deal with any of it. It's a benefit like not having to see ads. And I say all this not having a paid membership, but we wouldn't want another reason for people walking away is not feeling as though they are getting anything extra from paid membership. So yes I would get to work on that script soon.
    Last edited by westwingwolf; 7th April 2010 at 08:15.

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Julie, could you address how this affects the value of the paid accounts? For example, you're saying a paid member can be listed as a lurker or inactive if they don't post or visit for the lengths of time you've set up. Wasn't there a note on the very first post of this thread saying the paid accounts were treated differently under this rule? I remember it but it's not there now and the thread was edited.

Personally, I have no problem supporting the site, but I expect something back with my membership. The features are nice, particularly the larger inbox, but I think I'd be angry to come back from an absence and find I'm paying to be a lurker. The paid account is meant to be a convenience for me. I'm starting to feel like someone is taking attendance whether I'm here or not and it's making N-S less hospitable.

This is starting to feel like pushing around the really shy kids in the corner of the playground who just want to be left alone. Some people are just not ever going to be comfortable posting, and it might be a legitimate anxiety disorder that prevents them. Lurkers by definition aren't going to stand up as a group and protest, but we have seen a few voices of dissent. Is it possible to get an anonymous polls so lurkers are at least able to say something without having to brave this thread?
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kitten View Post
    Julie, could you address how this affects the value of the paid accounts?
    Yup, I can look into it tonight. It is possible, as I said in a previous post, but that would require some work. And that work isn't something I want to do in a hurry! So it'll probably be this weekend at the earliest I want to do a little research on it before I go with the first idea, maybe there's an easier way But I'll look into it!

Quote Originally Posted by kitten View Post
    Is it possible to get an anonymous polls so lurkers are at least able to say something without having to brave this thread?
    As for a poll, I'm sure if I put one up, most would say they hate this idea. And that I can understand. But in order for this place to be a community, there needs to be people with voices in it. So I'm not doing this out of fun, or just because I can, I did it for the community, that it'll hopefully get someone out of the dark and into the light I think that one should give a little back to the community that gives you so much for nothing.
    Last edited by Julie; 7th April 2010 at 08:16.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

No charge for awesomeness

Whew, that was a lot of reading to see if one question has been asked yet or not....and it hasn't, so here goes...

What about joint writers accounts? Can they be exempt from this rule? We only post updates to our own fanfiction threads so making the obligatory post would be a pain in the tush for those few accounts floating around.

*ahem* and yes Lexi, I'm back and ready to get the next HTC chapter up in the next week or so with Superag...depending on how our schedules work out.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeLovesLex View Post
    *ahem* and yes Lexi, I'm back and ready to get the next HTC chapter up in the next week or so with Superag...depending on how our schedules work out.
    Yes! You've been sorely missed, Adele. You've got loads to catch up on. Can't wait for the update and to see that fic out of the graveyard.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

What about joint writers accounts? Can they be exempt from this rule? We only post updates to our own fanfiction threads so making the obligatory post would be a pain in the tush for those few accounts floating around.
    Good question! At the moment they're not, because it's just another regular user account like the others, but I can make that work, it'll just take me some time

I don't remember all the join accounts anymore, so can those of you who have a joint account please PM me with the username of that joint account?

I won't be able to work on that today, nor moving the paid subscription users, but hopefully tomorrow (Sunday)!
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    I don't remember all the join accounts anymore, so can those of you who have a joint account please PM me with the username of that joint account?
    If I'm not mistaken the three joint accounts I remember are: BlueSabby, ChloLo and SuperCLL
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

OMG!!! She does exist! Of course i know that silly b/c FB is running rampant with you. Yes, we do need to be able to get into the system, but hopefully I post here enough to count it for the joint name. And yeah, i would like to get HTC going again. Don't we have a chapter done that you need to redo? If nothing else, it will get done over the summer.

Someone find me a job I can get paid from my couch and we wouldn't have this problem.

No charge for awesomeness

Quote Originally Posted by superag View Post
    Don't we have a chapter done that you need to redo?
    Yeah, there is one partially done, but I've got to talk to you about that. It may need a whole re-do...I think I've got something a little more fun to play with that fits better and flows quicker to the ending

Why doesn't some one just open a thread for writers to sign in to first and then they can go in to their stories. This way they don't have to find a thread, and think up a reply. They can veiw it as a sign in. They can even save the link a go strait to that thread. I personaly would check out the thread just to see when writers were around. You could also PM the writers with a link to the thread so they would not have to search for it.

Closed Thread

Thread Information