View Poll Results: Which story is your favorite?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Story One

3 18.75%
  • Story Two

4 25.00%
  • Story Three

2 12.50%
  • Story Four

7 43.75%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NS Fanfic Challenge - #7 December/January 2009 - "Endings and Beginnings"

Re: NS Fanfic Challenge - #7 December/January 2009 - "Endings and Beginnings"

Congratulations, momdaegmorgan!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Congratulations, Jenny.

I'd like to thank whoever voted for my story-#3 "Satisfied". And now that the mystery's been unveiled, I want to comment a little on the review Sabrina left for my fic- I'll have to keep writing for every monthly challenge to get her to review something of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post
    Story Three: Satisfied
    I get the feeling that I would have enjoyed this particular ficlet a great deal more if only I was more familiar with the episode that it was based on. But, despite being a little lost about plot details, I really enjoyed the ficlet.
    To clarify a few references made in the fic let me tell you that this Season 7 episode had Dean Cain as a guest star. He plays Dr Knox, a medicine man Lex's hired to erase the memory of his patients`at 33.1 and give them a second chance. Chloe learns about the procedures this doctor performs on meteor freaks, which involve removing their powers with brain surgery and she decides to sign up for it with the idea of getting a normal life. She knows she'll probably lose all her memories and still wants to go ahead. Clark tries to stop her but she doesn`t listen to him.

Lex finds out that Dr Knox is using his patients to harvest organs to bring his wife- who he keeps artificially alive- back to the world of the living and seeks him out. He finds him dumping a corpse at the Fertiliser Plant and decides to stop him from hurting anyone else by emptying his gun in Knox's chest. However, the doc survives- he's immortal and has lived for centuries like Highlander.

Clark saves Lex in the nick of time when Knock's about to kill him and then, thanks to Lex, who arrives at the doc's office with intel, he can also save Chloe before Knox rips her heart out. In other words, Lex saves her and Clark takes the credit for it.

It was very lyrical in nature, and I liked the way that I was forced to read several lines over again to get a sense of what was being said.
    I've always loved a good mystery. You know, this is the kind of response that I used to get from my Language teachers at university whenever I wrote in the first person- that they had to go hunting for the subtext and read the thing over several times.

It’s always a wonderful delight to see Lex engaged in musing poetry about his feelings for Chloe… especially feelings that involve great, deep admiration from afar as well as hope for something ‘better’ between the two of them in the future… and despair at the doubt that, in all likelihood, nothing is really going to develop. Poor Lex.

I especially loved that brief moment Lex had where he actually re-considered his decision to ‘save Chloe’, knowing that he wouldn’t getting any tangible reward… or even so much as a thanks, for his efforts. He actually considered letting Chloe sink or swim without his assistance, and I loved the insight this gave us into Lex’s mind-set.

This is a man who doesn’t do ‘the right thing’ instinctively without thinking twice. He has to think about what’s the right thing to do, and then decide whether or not to proceed with it. That might sound less impressive than Clark’s instinctive urge to save everyone and everything in his line of sight/hearing, but it’s actually more impressive to see Lex committing himself to do the right thing knowing he has genuine options otherwise.
    I believe this is what actually happened in Lex's mind when he intervened to save Chloe. What's more, the show had him go to the doctor's office in person to save her, but he arrived too late only to find Clark there. Still, he shared the information he had on the doc (it was saved on his iPod) and ended up rescuing her through Clark.

The ending was gratifying. It was wonderful to see that, despite Lex’s firm belief that he won’t be getting a reward for his efforts, he DID get a note of thanks from Chloe… and it meant pure joy for him. Such a huge reaction for just a little silently mouthed thanks? Wow! I loved that! That ALSO gives us considerable insight into Lex’s character, and how the man would jump through hoops of fire for anyone who expressed the least bit of appreciation for him and his actions.
    This is the ending I wish they had had the guts to give us. I was so pissed when Clark got the laurels for something that would never had happened without Lex's help. It was the story repeating itself and I just had to do something about it to set the story straight and give the billionaire the acknowledgement and gratitude he deserved.
    Last edited by lexie; 7th February 2010 at 05:39.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Thanks Skauble, Lexie, Sinecure, and everyone who voted for me! I was very nervous about posting this fic in the battle, mostly because of the dark nature of it (hey, I'm still relatively new here so I'm allowed a little uncertainty), so it was a very nice surprise to win.

Really though, I can't take complete credit for the story. Cy spent hours stomping on my ideas, reading the same lines over and over again (I'm a tweak-aholic), suggesting scenes (while ripping others out by the hair), and just generally helping make it the fic it is now. So praise is due in her direction as well...it really is just as much her baby as it is mine.

(Thank you, Cy, I never would have had the courage to write and post it if it wasn't for you!)

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Congratulations, momdaegmorgan--lovely work on this challenge!

And I'd like to thank the readers who voted for my fic, Story# 2, The Devil Moon--it is much appreciated
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 7th February 2010 at 16:42.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Congrats, momdaegmorgan!

My story was #1 - thanx to the people who voted!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    My story was #1 - thanx to the people who voted!
    I knew when I read it that it was yours- it screams Ultra all over. Nice fic.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    I knew when I read it that it was yours- it screams Ultra all over. Nice fic.
    Thanx, lexie, though I'm not sure if I like being so predictable lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Thanx, lexie, though I'm not sure if I like being so predictable lol
    You know, even when you try not to be predictable, if someone's familiar with your work, they can usually tell your fics from the rest because of your style. No matter how hard you try, you might change the subject matter but everyone has her own style, a kind of fingerprint if you will that is impossible to shake off.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    You know, even when you try not to be predictable, if someone's familiar with your work, they can usually tell your fics from the rest because of your style. No matter how hard you try, you might change the subject matter but everyone has her own style, a kind of fingerprint if you will that is impossible to shake off.
    Haha, that could be a fun game "Guess The Author"
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Haha, that could be a fun game "Guess The Author"
    LOL! It does sound like a fun game... but it has the potential to go oh-so-wrong!

Forum-member: 'SE, was that first fic one of yours?'
    SE: 'No'
    Forum-member:'But it was terrible, surely it must have been yours?!'
    SE: 'No, it wasn't!!'
    Forum-member: 'You're lying, aren't you?'
    SE: *weeps* 'Yes I am. I admit it! That terrible fic is mine!'

I think I might be going slightly crazy from lack of sleep

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information