Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Secret Fanfiction Santa 2009!

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

NS Secret Fanfiction Santa 2009!

This is a first on NS and we are hoping it will be a success!

So what is a Secret Fanfiction Santa? Well, it’s basically a gift, in the form of a fanfiction that you give to someone. This is done anonymously, so you don’t know who is going to write a fanfiction to you!

Because it is a Secret Santa Fanfiction, the story has to be ready around Christmas (see deadlines below). It can be a short story or a chapter or two of a fanfiction you intend to write. Do as you feel.

If you are interested in joining the Secret Fanfiction Santa project, PM MelBee1985 and tell her that you're in and the specifications that you want.

There are only a few things you get to choose. Because it’s the first year we're having this event, we’re asking that you be not too specific. So here is what you can request:

*Season (Please give a range a top 3 of seasons. Some people may not have watched late or earlier seasons and might have trouble writing for it).
    *Rating (State 2 ratings. Again, it is to avoid conflicts. Some people might not feel comfortable with NC-17, for example.).
    *A line (Choose up to 3 lines that you would like to see included in the fanfiction and the member who gets you can pick the one that s/he wants).

For the line part, it can be said by a specific character or leave it up to the author. Examples of what a request could look like:

S5, PG13, Chloe: “Lex, you shouldn’t play with fire..”
    S3, NC17, “You’re the one I want for Christmas”

Oh and… don’t tell anyone about your Secret Santa. There's a reason it’s called secret

So overall:
    1. Sign up if you are interested.
    2. PM MelBee1985 the information you want to be included in the fanfiction.
    3. Receive an assignment.
    4. Write the story.

Deadlines

Deadline for signing up and sending MelBee1985 your request: November 27th
    Get assigned to someone as Secret Fanfiction Santa: November 30th
    Stories posted: December 22nd-25th

Note that you will post your own fanfiction during December 22nd-25th. It shall be posted in the holiday fanfiction forum and posted like this:

Title (Secret Fanfiction Santa: Who it's for) - Rating

Example:
    A Christmas Encounter (Secret Fanfiction Santa: Skauble) - PG13

You don't have to include a date (as stated as required in the fanfiction posting rules) as this is a special occasion!

*Credit to DI and other random forums that helped us come up with this.
    Last edited by Julie; 21st November 2009 at 22:03.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: NS Secret Fanfiction Santa!

This is interesting but I really don´t know if my muse´s up to getting an assignment with a topic and specifications she hasn´t chosen herself right now (November and December are bedlam for teachers in my country).She´s too capricious right now to commit- hell, I don´t even know how she´s been cooperating with the challenges so far! And there I get to see the topic in advance and agree to jump in or not if I like the specs.

I´ve got a few questions, though:

1) Does everyone who enter this event have to both ask for a fic and respond someone´s request at the same time?

2) How will the assignments be allotted? Will all specs be posted anonymously for writers to choose from or will Julie/mods assign them? Will writers remain anonymous as well? If they´re supposed to create a thread themselves, fics will cease to be secret. Or do you mean only the name of the person that asked for the gift won´t be revealed?
    Last edited by lexie; 21st November 2009 at 22:44.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Julie's Soul Sister

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    I´ve got a few questions, though:

1) Does everyone who enter this event have to both ask for a fic and respond someone´s request at the same time?

2) How will the assignments be allotted? Will all specs be posted anonymously for writers to choose from or will Julie/mods assign them? Will writers remain anonymous as well? If they´re supposed to create a thread themselves, fics will cease to be secret. Or do you mean only the name of the person that asked for the gift won´t be revealed?
    1) If you request a fic, it goes both ways, meaning you will also have to write something. But it can be a short, no restrictions on length.

2) I will receive all the requests and I will PM everyone with a name and the request of this member. So you will know the name of who you are writing for. You keep it to yourself and write the fic and that person will find out you wrote for her around christmas. So basically, it's a secret for the person who made the request and for everyone else until the fic is posted

*There is a possibility, if around December doesn't work for majority, that we extend for New year's Eve

If you have more questions don't hesitate!
    Last edited by MelBee1985; 21st November 2009 at 22:43.

[...] I´ve got a few questions, though:

1) Everyone who joins this will both get a fanfiction and write a fanfiction to send to someone. You will send in your requests first to MelBee1985, then after that you will be assigned a user, then you write the fanfiction according to their requests.

2) The members will be assigned to each other somewhat randomly. There's no first join up first serve mentality. We'll take random users, and try to assign them as best as possible according to the requests.

Requests will not be posted publicly no. MelBee1985 will receive all the requests, and be responsible for assigning the users with each other. So the writers/secret santas will remain anonymous until it's time to give the gift to your secret santa/aka post up the fanfiction

Some time will pass between when you receive the request, and when you need to post it up. So it will be secret during that time. The other user will only get to know their secret santa as soon as the fanfiction is posted up

Did that answer your questions lexie? If not, let me know and I'll try and explain it some more!

Edit: I see Mel answered before me Hey Mel, weren't you supposed to be studying?
    Last edited by Julie; 21st November 2009 at 22:45.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

NS Senior Member Senior Member

The idea behind a Secret Santa is that you don't know who will be giving you the gift until you receive it. Usually this means you get little gifts along the way and then on a final day, your Secret Santa is revealed, but I don't think that's plausible here. Your putting your wish for a fic in someone's hands and you don't know who until it is written and posted on the site.

So what I imagine is everyone who signs up is agreeing to write a fic in exchange for getting a fic, that way it's even and we don't have say 5 authors writing 3 stories each just so everyone who gave request got a story.

Quote Originally Posted by westwingwolf View Post
    So what I imagine is everyone who signs up is agreeing to write a fic in exchange for getting a fic, that way it's even and we don't have say 5 authors writing 3 stories each just so everyone who gave request got a story.
    Exactly!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

It seems you both answered simultaneously. Thank you, girls, for clarifying any doubts I might have had.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

It seems you both answered simultaneously. Thank you, girls, for clarifying any doubts I might have had.
    Hehe, efficient (or shall I say NS addicted? ) staff!

Most often found beating my head against the wall- in Michigan

Thank you Julie!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Hehe, efficient (or shall I say NS addicted? ) staff!
    It's entirely possible that I come to this site way too much since I have it as a homepage. Perhaps my week away from the internet next week is a good thing.

Thread Information