Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review A Story Month!

Review A Story Month!

Hey, fellow Chlexers! Welcome to:

Review A Story Month!

Reviews are down lately. People are still reading the stories, but many aren’t leaving feedback to let the authors know how much they enjoyed it. And, let’s face it; if the writer’s don’t know that people are actually enjoying their work, then why are they going to keep producing stories for our wondrous ship?

I’ll fess up – I’m far guiltier of this than most people. I read and run way too often. So I understand where the readers are. And so we thought that maybe what would help was something that we could all participate in; a goal that we could shoot for.

Which is why we’re declaring November – Review A story Month.

Now, it’s important to note that reviews don’t always have to be long and involved messages. A simple “Great story. I loved it!” can mean the world to a writer because, believe me, even if reviews are short, there is a world of difference between getting three responses and getting eleven responses, no matter how short they are.

“But,” you tell us, “I never know what to say!!!

And you bring up a great point. Which is why we have devised, for those of you who feel that you need a little help to get started, the 60 second review.

The 60 Second Review

Step One: If you thought the story was good, or great, or that you loved it, say so.

Ex: Great story!

Ex: Good work!

Step Two: Pick out one moment you enjoyed in the story.

Ex: I loved when Chloe glued that squirrel to Lex’s head.

Ex: I thought it was wonderful when Lex glued that squirrel to Lana’s head.

OR

Pick out one feeling that the story made you feel.

Ex: This story really made me laugh.

Ex: I thought that this story was so sweet.

Step Tree: Encourage them to post again.

Ex: Please post more soon!

Ex: I can’t wait for the next chapter

And there you have it – a 60 second review. In only one minute’s time you have made an author’s day.

Join in!

So, I’m asking the Chlex community to please join us here at NS in Review a Story month. Let’s give back to the writers who give so much joy to us.
    Last edited by Julie; 1st November 2009 at 01:57.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Review A Story Month!

As I told you on the NS blog, I must be famous around here for harping on this very same matter, so I welcome this idea and hope lurkers will put it into action.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I remember the first time I delurked. I was so scared I'd say something stupid in my review, but then it turned out the author really liked what I had to say.

And trust me every time I post something new, I am constantly looking for a review. And each time I get one I do a little dance that looks something like this [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1ZOoSfO_A[/YOUTUBE].

Some come on and make those authors dance because after they are done with that, they'll write another piece.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westwingwolf View Post
    I remember the first time I delurked. I was so scared I'd say something stupid in my review, but then it turned out the author really liked what I had to say.
    I guess that goes for all of us when we are replying to a thread/post who's author we hardly know. I'm the same on other forums/LJs, I triple check for any spelling errors etc.

But in the end, no one will think less of you if you have a small error. On the contrary, people will just be happy because some one replied to their thread/post, and it can make a day so much different for an author of a thread

So, make a difference everyone! As said earlier, it doesn't have to be much, a simply 'That was awesome', 'I loved it' is enough!

And, isn't November Thanksgiving month? How about, this year, you also give thanks to these wonderful people who contribute so much of their time to our forums!
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Julie's Soul Sister

Great idea!

I have to say, the number of reviews for Dark Path have decreased and it's less encouraging to write a new chapter fast.

I haven't read a fic in a while, but if I do have time this month, trust me I'll leave a review!!

Most often found beating my head against the wall- in Michigan

Ex: I loved when Chloe glued that squirrel to Lex’s head.

Ex: I thought it was wonderful when Lex glued that squirrel to Lana’s head.

Oooooh, the plot bunnies, the plot bunnies!

Ahm, excuse me. I have to agree with www, I still get a little nervous when I review, because I don't want to sound repetitious. But I over came! And do it anyways. And yes, I know I have yet to get around to catching up on the latest chapters of your awesome stories, lexie! And I will! I promise! I even have a little wooden round "TUIT" coin so I don't have that excuse anymore. And I feel guilty when I miss multiple chapters of a story, then only write one review. I'm sorry MelBee! But I also left one for you on FF so I don't feel so guilty about yours. lol.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Booksketeer View Post

Ahm, excuse me. I have to agree with www, I still get a little nervous when I review, because I don't want to sound repetitious. But I over came! And do it anyways. And yes, I know I have yet to get around to catching up on the latest chapters of your awesome stories, lexie! And I will! I promise! I even have a little wooden round "TUIT" coin so I don't have that excuse anymore. And I feel guilty when I miss multiple chapters of a story, then only write one review. I'm sorry MelBee! But I also left one for you on FF so I don't feel so guilty about yours. lol.
    You bring up a concern I think many might have - about being repetitious. All in all, I think it means a lot more to the authors to have a reply, than not to have one at all. So even if you've already said 'it was great' or 'thanks' or something before in the same thread, or even in another thread, it doesn't matter.

What matters is that the contributors see that there are people following and liking their work!
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

And yes, I know I have yet to get around to catching up on the latest chapters of your awesome stories, lexie! And I will! I promise! I even have a little wooden round "TUIT" coin so I don't have that excuse anymore.
    I always trust you´ll comment in due time. You are definitely not amongst those that I call "chain readers"- and believe me there are a lot of people that read the whole bulk of an author´s work without pause and don´t even bother rating a story or pasting an emoticon.

I´m waiting patiently for you ( ) . Joking aside;no need to worry.
    Last edited by lexie; 2nd November 2009 at 23:40.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

For the love of all that's holy, please tell me that those aren't NC17 bunnies.

I second Jules. While long and extensive reviews are a wonderful gift for a writer, I think that it's equally important to see numbers.

I know that there are some people who say, "You should write for the love of writing". I have two problems with that sentiment.

1) Some people who write fanfic aren't looking to be a professional author. Sometimes they don't necessarily love writing. Some people write fanfic because they want to contribute to a community that they love.

2) Because people are contributing to a community, there is a very legitimate need to see that it's doing so - that people enjoy it.

There's nothing wrong in wanting to know that people appreciate the efforts we make in life. And so being able to see that 20 people enjoyed a story, even if they just said "That was absolutely wonderful and I loved it!" can make a world of difference, simply because there's concrete proof the the work is being well received.

In fact, I would suggest to people that if you're putting off a review because you don't have time to lay out everything you want to say, leave a sentence or two saying that you loved it and then go back later and add additional thoughts. That way, at least the author knows.

~Sarah~

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Well! Now I'm NOT going to write my sexy one-shot in which Chloe glues a squirrel to Lex's head!

I thought this month was about encouraging writers! *SOB*
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Thread Information