Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review A Story Month!

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Review A Story Month!

Quote Originally Posted by kitten View Post
    Well! Now I'm NOT going to write my sexy one-shot in which Chloe glues a squirrel to Lex's head!

I thought this month was about encouraging writers! *SOB*
    I think skauble was referring to a sexy one-shot in which Lex glued a squirrel to Lana's head. Go on and write your story, I want to read it, and I'll review.

BTW, if anyone wants to write a story in which Lex sticks a squirrel on Lana's head, I recommend he use a nailgun.
    Last edited by westwingwolf; 3rd November 2009 at 00:44.

This is a really interesting post. It's nice to hear from authors that any kind of responses no matter how short are welcomed because I'm definitely one of those people that struggles with what to say when reviewing then half the time talk myself out of it because I feel I have nothing useful to say and feel a bit stupid posting something really short. I have to admit that I find it a little extra scary in communities like this where there are so many long standing members that know each others work well, it can be scary to go in and just post "I loved it" right after a long review that offers lots of encouragement and constructive criticism (something which I want to do but I'm really awful at,I'm just so grateful that people are writing fic/pairings I want to read that faults don't stand out a huge amount to me).

There's also another question I've always wanted to ask, it's kind of stupid but since there are authors here to ask I'll embarrass myself . This, and another community I read fic in, are well established so there are some authors that have come and gone. I've read some great fics on both of these boards that go back to the early 2000's, I'm never really sure if I should post feedback for these fics, is it still useful? I know an author not posting new fics or messages on a board doesn't necessarily mean that they won't still pop by to see if anyone is still reading their fic, at the same time I know some people leave a fandom and never look back, I'm just curious to know from an authors point of view and just from others on this board what others do in this situation?
    Last edited by daria_103; 3rd November 2009 at 01:04. Reason: spelling

Julie's Soul Sister

Quote Originally Posted by daria_103 View Post
    This is a really interesting post. It's nice to hear from authors that any kind of responses no matter how short are welcomed because I'm definitely one of those people that struggles with what to say when reviewing then half the time talk myself out of it because I feel I have nothing useful to say and feel a bit stupid posting something really short. I have to admit that I find it a little extra scary in communities like this where there are so many long standing members that know each others work well, it can be scary to go in and just post "I loved it" right after a long review that offers lots of encouragement and constructive criticism (something which I want to do but I'm really awful at,I'm just so grateful that people are writing fic/pairings I want to read that faults don't stand out a huge amount to me).

There's also another question I've always wanted to ask, it's kind of stupid but since there are authors here to ask I'll embarrass myself . This, and another community I read fic in, are well established so there are some authors that have come and gone. I've read some great fics on both of these boards that go back to the early 2000's, I'm never really sure if I should post feedback for these fics, is it still useful? I know an author not posting new fics or messages on a board doesn't necessarily mean that they won't still pop by to see if anyone is still reading their fic, at the same time I know some people leave a fandom and never look back, I'm just curious to know from an authors point of view and just from others on this board what others do in this situation?
    I think you should leave comments even for old stories, because, in part, it brings them up in the recent threads that have been commented and can makes other people want to read it too. Perhaps the author is still around, perhaps not, I say: never be afraid to say something as small as 'loved it'. it can have be meaningful to authors.

I usually leave feedback when I read a fic, but I don't leave long feedback. So what? At least, they get that I loved it and perhaps I mentionned that i'm anxious to see what goes next.

People, don't be afraid, we, authors, do not bite We would rather have 20 'Loved it', than 2 longer feedback. Two long comments are great and I love it when I get that kind of review (though sadly my fic hasn't caught somethingeasy's attention and I LOVE her reviews!), but it's also nice to see that many people have read and loved your fic.

I can see though that perhaps some people are shy to leave comments in the NC17 section, because, it's 'mature' and contains sex. Well, I used to be one of those (we all have our moments of shyness right?), but here, we do not judge and most active members read those anyway So nothing to fear around.

This was my 2 cents

No charge for awesomeness

Great post, Skauble. Loved it.

See, kinda like that. Skauble now knows that not only was her post great, but that I loved it. Easy peasy.

I'm reading a long oldie right now so I will be posting feedback for it when I am done. Then I plan to catch up on Lexie's fic next and leaving feedback for it. I haven't even started "The Dark Path" yet, but it's on my list so I'll post feedback as I go along for that.

....AND I think my muse is toying with the idea of pulling ALL of my fics out of the graveyard in the next coming weeks (bless her) and I'll be leaving feedback to myself for those because I'm thinking most people have forgotten what was happening by now.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll be able to half my obsess about what to write in reviews time after this thread

I'm also going to try make a much bigger effort to post reviews for the older fics that I love and any fics that I follow now that a few of my questions have been answered and I'm a little less nervous so thanks MelBee1985

ChloeLovesLex I'd love to see all your fics come out of the graveyard, especially Heeding The Call, it's such a beautiful story.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daria_103 View Post

I'm also going to try make a much bigger effort to post reviews for the older fics that I love and any fics that I follow now that a few of my questions have been answered and I'm a little less nervous so thanks MelBee1985
    Also, Julie asked me to do a Fanfiction Spotlight each month to help dig up the great older fics from years past, so please check these out as well
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeLovesLex View Post
    I'm reading a long oldie right now so I will be posting feedback for it when I am done. Then I plan to catch up on Lexie's fic next and leaving feedback for it. I haven't even started "The Dark Path" yet, but it's on my list so I'll post feedback as I go along for that.
    I´m looking forward to your input- God knows my multi-chaptered story muse needs some serious kicking. I still have more Back from the Dead to post (don´t fear ), but I simply want her to hasten.

Mel and Jade´s story is coming along very nicely and it´s a very entertaining read.

....AND I think my muse is toying with the idea of pulling ALL of my fics out of the graveyard in the next coming weeks (bless her) and I'll be leaving feedback to myself for those because I'm thinking most people have forgotten what was happening by now.
    That´s awesome news, Adele. You´re joking about our forgetting what the stories you were posting are about, right? I agree with Linda about Heeding the Call and you know I´ve been begging you and Mary to give us a long-needed update.I´m biting my nails wondering how things will end up. And, then, there´s Pas the Deux and jealous, possessive Lex. Come back and update!

I agree with Mel that giving feedback shouldn´t be limited to new fics and that commenting on an old fic- even if we aren´t sure the writer´s still an active member- helps resurrect awesome works that would otherwise languish. I´m also in favour of re-reviewing a fic after sometime if you happen to revisit it. It´s like watching several times a film you have enjoyed. Every time you find new layers to it.
    Last edited by lexie; 9th November 2009 at 00:20.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Thread Information