Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NS Monthly Fanfiction Challenges

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

NS Monthly Fanfiction Challenges

The NS Monthly Fanfiction Challenges

In an effort to encourage new writers to take the plunge into fanfiction and to offer inspiration to our current writers here, we’re beginning a monthly fanfiction challenge!

So if you’ve ever thought of writing fanfiction, but have been to nervous to take the plunge, this is a fantastic way to start. Baby steps to see if you’d like to jump into larger fanfictions. And if you already write fanfictions, this can be a great way to get the creative juices flowing or entice the muses to come out and play.

And remember, that your participation can encourage other people to participate and then will be swimming in a sea of Chlex entertainment!

Every month there will be a new challenge posted and it's simple to participate:

A new theme will be posted on the 1st of every month. Your job will be to take that theme and write a story about it.

Stories are to be anywhere between 800 – 1000 words and have to be Chlex focused.

Once you finish your story, you PM (private message) it to skauble, she's the one handling this.

All stories must be submitted by the 21st of the month*. They will then be posted for voting and a winner will be declared shortly after the voting period is done.

Winners will receive a free one month of the Gold membership subscription and a banner to use in their signature or to post other places such as their Live Journal, Dreamwidth, etc.

So join us in the Fanfiction Battle Arena to check out the latest challenge and read the entries form previous competitions.

The official rules are below, but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

The Rules

1) All entries must be rated no higher than PG-13. No exceptions.

2) All entries must be about the theme provided for the current month.

3) All entries must be Chlex-centric.

4) All entries must be between 800 and 1000 words.

5) All entries must be submitted by the 21st of the month*.

6) All entries must be written in proper English, NoT LikE tHiS.

7) Only one entry per person.

8) Entries are solely for the NS Fanfic Competition and are not to be posted at any other sites, any other forums, or any other boards here at NS.

Questions

Q: Will my username be visible when people are voting?
    A: No, your username will only be visible to skauble at first. Should you win the challenge however, your username will be made public. This is done to create a more fair voting process.

The Process

When the challenge and theme is announced, write your story with 800-1000 words, give it a title if you'd like, PM it to skauble with the subject for the PM being that month's name, and fanfiction challenge. For an example: "Fanfiction Challenge June 2009 entry". Then all you have to do is wait and vote on the other submissions if you'd like!

Have fun and good luck!

Big thanks to skauble for helping me set this up, and for writing this introduction

* There can be exceptions to this date.
    Last edited by Julie; 15th June 2009 at 10:48. Reason: Updated the rules to match the thread in the Fanfiction Battle Arena
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: NS Monthly Fanfiction Challenges

wow! What an awesome contest. I look forward to checking out the entries. I especially like the clever, brilliant idea of keeping all entries anonymous until the winner is announced. This way all writers stand an equal shot at critical success... even authors who have never posted Chlex before will be on equal footing with authors who are well-reputed in the forum VERY clever, Julie and Skauble.

This sounds great, and should do wonders for my writers block when it creeps up on me! My only problem will be the word limit, as I generally suck at being succinct, but hey, this will probably help me improve on that so yay!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

As I told you on Twitter, Julie, this is a fantastic idea.

I was going to ask you whether the rule of making the fic exclusive to this forum could be broken once the challenge was over and the award had been granted- say two or three months after the event. Now I see you´ve modified the rules since I last saw them.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    As I told you on Twitter, Julie, this is a fantastic idea.

I was going to ask you whether the rule of making the fic exclusive to this forum could be broken once the challenge was over and the award had been granted- say two or three months after the event. Now I see you´ve modified the rules since I last saw them.
    We're thinking of some way to archive the entries once a challenge is finished, so that those who want glory can get some glory
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    We're thinking of some way to archive the entries once a challenge is finished, so that those who want glory can get some glory
    That´d be nice. Now, what I meant was that authors should be given the chance after a few months to repost their story on their LJ or elsewhere.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

No charge for awesomeness

Ooo, fun! Can't wait to see the first challenge. Great idea ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post

8) Entries are solely for the NS Fanfic Competition and are not to be posted at any other sites, any other forums, or any other boards here at NS.
    You´ve modified the thread to include the rule I was referring to in my previous posts. I´ve participated in several challenges on other forums and we were allowed to repost the fics on our LJs and other sites once the event was over and a few months had gone by after the awards were granted.

Wouldn´t you consider reformulating that rule, adding a time limit or something?
    Last edited by lexie; 1st June 2009 at 20:41.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    You´ve modified the thread to include the rule I was referring to in my previous posts. I´ve participated in several challenges on other forums and we were allowed to repost the fics on our LJs and other sites once the event was over and a few months had gone by after the awards were granted.

Wouldn´t you consider reformulating that rule, adding a time limit or something?
    Yes, I'm curious about this too. Surely when the competition is over its acceptable for the fics to be posted elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Yes, I'm curious about this too. Surely when the competition is over its acceptable for the fics to be posted elsewhere?
    Skauble added it, but I think she meant during the time of the challenge
    Last edited by Julie; 1st June 2009 at 21:51.

Thread Information