+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 14th June 2009

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 4th May 2009

Wow what a powerful update. I love the cat and mouse game these two play. It is like foreplay for them. What I am intrigued is how this will turn into a romance or will it?
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

This keeps getting better with each update. The last images in Lex´s mind were somewhat disturbing.

Great verbal judo.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 4th May 2009

Ok, now I'm confused, when did Chloe fall off Lex's balcony?!! You have it under later so does that mean it just happened?!! Did he throw her off?!! I know, too many questions!! Great update!! I don't mind if your updates are shorter if they keep being that good!!

NS Junior Member

Hello - sorry about the very long wait for this - real life got in the way. There will be one more chapter after this. So, this fic has kind of developed in its own way and it will be darker than I had first thought - it just happened... I hope its doesn't take away from your enjoyment!

Feedback is really welcome - thanks!

Elective Affinity

Now

Chloe is sitting on Clark’s blue couch. It looks like it has been sat on a total of 10 times and Chloe wonders how much time Clark spends over at Lois’.

“He wasn’t open to persuasion” she says, looking at Clark leaning against the breakfast bar. She admires the view – in the 5 years she has forgotten how stunning he is.

“Did you find anything out?”

“Well, I understand Bruce Wayne a little better now”

Clark’s eyes open wide “Lex knows that?”

“Apparently so. And he was happy to share”

“How did that come up?” Clark looks confused

Chloe does not feel like broadening the circle of people that know about her close encounters with Bruce Wayne and just shrugs. Clark seems happy to leave it. He looks away from her, out of the window

“I thought you might be able to get through to him”

Chloe is surprised, “Why on earth did you think I could get through to him?”

Clark looks quickly back to her and then away before he speaks, “I don’t know – I thought you guys were close once”

This is as close as Clark has come to voicing the suspicions Chloe always knew he harbored about that night 5 years ago.

Chloe doesn’t say anything, instead she asks him what his plan is and he tells her that the Justice League is working on it.

“Are you worried Clark?” she asks him, getting up and coming to him

“Only that I won’t be able to do something that I’ve always feared I would have to do” Clark says with a mixture of sorrow and determination that moves Chloe to wrap her arms around him and hold him tight, trying to remember when life and death equations were not so much a part of her life.

Earlier

There was something about Lex that made her want to impress him. Every conversation with him felt like a test. A test to keep him from getting bored. She felt the need to be that more interesting, intelligent and wise than she normally would with others. So when Lex had asked her why she was drunk, Chloe in her state knew she could not impress him with superior intelligence so instead had chosen to silence him with brutal honesty. It had worked, Lex had been speechless but she could still remember the look he had given her, like he was seeing her for the first time. Not as Clark’s friend, or Lana’s friend but as Chloe.

Then it had all gotten crazy. She just remembers disjointed moments. Suddenly she was on her feet and laughing, mildly hysterical and Lex was just watching her. She had asked him whether he had thought she was pathetic and he had just shaken his head silently, watching her. She then remembers him coming to her and she was sitting on the railing of his balcony, balancing with the fearless poise of a drunk. She remembered his next words clearly though

“You will always be waiting for him”

She had been angry that he presumed to lecture her on this, that he had started talking about her heart and mostly that he was right. She had sat further back so that her backside was nearly all off the railing, and she had been so very very drunk because that is the only explanation she can give herself. She had said “You don’t think he would save me?”

And Chloe had leant backwards, meaning to feign a stumble and then jump back onto the balcony but her poise was illusory, and the vodka martinis had their revenge. She had fallen and then images came quickly in her memory. Lex wide-eyed leaning over the railing, the blurred lights of Metropolis and then arms carrying her. She had been saved, except looking back, it didn’t make anything better. Clark was flying with her and she had felt nauseous with the movement.

She had heard fire alarms in the distance and Clark had told her he had to go and he had flown down to the nearest sidewalk which happened to be outside LexCorp. He had looked at her concerned and Chloe didn’t have the energy to muster a fake smile and instead looked away, suddenly stone cold sober.

Now

She receives a bouquet of flowers to her hotel room. She reads the card and it is Lex apologizing and asking her to please meet her at Lexcorp the next day. She throws the flowers in the bin and fingers the card.

Earlier

She had walked into LexCorp and waited in the neon lit lobby. It was midnight and there was just her and the security guard. She didn’t have a death wish. It had been an accident – she was not that depressed – was she? She needed to get out of this town. She didn’t like herself anymore. She didn’t recognize herself anymore.

She heard the automatic doors softly open and she saw Lex standing there.

“Come up to the office”

She had not moved. Lex had moved closer

“Chloe. You’re not in a good place.”

“What LexCorp? You’re right. It’s not a good place”

“I can help you.”

“I’m not open to manipulation right now”

But she had followed him up all the same.

Now

Clark calls her and tells her that he cannot meet her tomorrow – a source has given him a tip off about a story he and Lois are chasing. She tells him she can come with him, but he says no, he has to go alone. Chloe asks whether Lois is not coming and Clark replies again no, that the deal is that he turns up alone. She asks whether this is normal and he says, no, not really as if it is just occurring to him. Chloe hangs up and wonders if it really could be.

Later

She sits in her room and tries to stay away from the minibar. It’s proving difficult. She needs a clear head for tomorrow though. She picks up the phone and dials the number,

“I got your card, very considerate. I wanted to push the time back though – can we meet a little earlier or later?”

“I’m sorry but I’m busy all day, that’s the only time I have. I’ll make it worth your while Chloe, you’ll have a headline story”

“Promises promises” she says lightly but her heart’s not in it.

“How did you like the flowers” he says before she can hang up

“I’m looking at them now” she says glancing over to the tangle of yellow and green sticking out of the trash. “I’m more of a chocolate girl. For future reference.”

“I’ll remember” Lex says and hangs up.

Chloe holds the old fashioned hotel phone against her chest, enjoying the feeling of holding something solid, real and tries to dismiss the cold dread that is seeping through her.

She dials Clark’s number.

“We need to talk”

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 2nd June 2009

Well, after all the heartache and pain Clark has put Chloe through at least he caught her!! But then, drops her off immediately and has something more important to do!! Poor Chloe, how many times does she have to have her heart stomped on before she can fall out of love with Clark!! I mean he has always shown her that he doesn't want her and won't love her!! I wish she could realize that she is worth more than that!! At least Lex cares!! He doesn't need her for the information he already knows, he must just care!! Thank you so much for the incredible update!! Can't wait to read how the story ends!!

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 2nd June 2009

Good update but I am scared about the last chapter.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Thanks for updating after the long wait.

I´m glad Clark turned up to save Chloe when she accidentally fell over the railing, but I agree with autumngold that he dismissed her too quickly; yeah, yeah, I know he´s Superman and he´s got to save the world, but why does Chloe always have to come second or last in his thoughts?

I loved the banter between her and Lex but I´m afraid of the way this will conclude. Dark you said?

I´m looking forward to the last chapter.
    Last edited by lexie; 2nd June 2009 at 19:25.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

A lovely update!

She didn’t have a death wish. It had been an accident – she was not that depressed – was she?
    Now this is damn interesting--Lex was right that Chloe would always be waiting for Clark, but did she try and force his hand to see if he would save her and finally notice her?

Can't wait for the next Chlex meeting
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 3rd June 2009 at 00:02.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Member

Good story...I think I see where this is going and am intrigued. Keep it up.

NS Junior Member

Thanks for the comments - here is the final part - I hope the angst is not too much... thanks for reading and all your comments are really welcome!!!

Now

Lex watches the coverage of the explosion at the nuclear plant off the coast. The news anchors are telling people to be calm, that although it is potentially catastrophic, it is under control, and that of all the nuclear plants that could have exploded this is the best one in terms of safety. Lex commends himself on a job well done. He knows the entire justice league must be there, its big enough to warrant that.

Almost all of them.

He thinks of Clark, writhing on the floor in the small room that has been specially prepared. Or maybe he has stopped writhing and is now just laying there. Lex forces himself to ignore the restriction in his chest that accompanies that thought. This is the plan. This is what he wants.

He pours another drink and waits for Chloe.

Earlier

Lex had walked Chloe to the couch in his office and watched her sit, lean back and close her eyes. He was not certain what had caused her to enter LexCorp but he was not going to question it now. A few years back, Lex had got his own surveillance of Superman, a clever associate of his had found a way to trace Superman’s movements through heat sensors. So when Superman had swooped down and carried Chloe away from Lex’s balcony, he had made a couple of calls and found out that Superman had deposited her in front of LexCorp. He had been in the process of making more calls to find out where Chloe had gone when his security had called him telling him that she was sitting in the office lobby.

“It wasn’t a suicide attempt you know” he remembers her saying, still with her eyes closed, so she could not see him frown in surprise. He had never assumed it was. God knows in his debauched youth there had been more than a few nights after a bottle or so of vodka that he would find himself falling off various ledges, admittedly not the 35th floor of a high rise complex but the basics were the same. It was interesting that Chloe felt she had to clarify this to him though. It made him wonder at her state of mind even more.

“Of course not” was all he had said, leaving it open enough for Chloe to unburden herself should she wish, but she was too clever for that, even in her state.

“I should leave” she got up and smoothed her trousers.

“You should stay” Lex had said, not meaning it to sound as quite as much of a threat as it did. Actually he hadn’t meant to say it at all, but there had been something about Chloe, standing there, still defiant and strong after the events of the evening. It had drawn him in.

“Is that a threat?” she had raised her eyebrows

“No, it’s a request. Not everything I say is rooted in evil you know”

“Hmm. Well, can I wash my face? You must have a wash basin somewhere in this office. In fact, I’m sure you have all manner of things hidden away”

“It’s behind you”

He had watched Chloe retreating to the back of the room and wondered what he was doing. Punishing Superman came a voice unbidden. No. Not then. Then he was punishing Clark.

Now

He watches Chloe enter the lobby through the surveillance camera feed he has on his computer. She is dressed in a black trouser suit, flatteringly cut and a white shirt open at the neck. She looks professional. He catches her looking at the TV screens in the lobby, watching the running news about the power plant. His hand is already on the telephone when his secretary buzzes him.

“Send her in”

Earlier

She had come back to the room with her face scrubbed clean, and her hair tied back. She had walked right up to him, with only a slight hesitation and asked what his game was. He had said he was going with honesty, it seemed that policy was making an interesting evening for them both.

She had walked away from him and gone to the window.

“I feel like my life is out of my control, like I am doing these things and I have no idea why” She stopped and Lex was aware that his presence wasn’t really needed here as she was looking out of the window, down at the lights of Metropolis and speaking as if she was the only one in the room.

“It sounds like you need a new direction, or something to shake you out of whatever you are going through”

She had turned around at that and had seemed to be evaluating just how much more she should share. She continued softly, so that he had to strain to hear,

“I read somewhere that you have to reach rock bottom before you face an addiction or destructive behavior”

Lex thought that rock bottom was highly subjective but only said “Are you there yet?”

“No. But I think it could give me a good excuse for what I’m about to do”

She had taken even steps towards him and stopped when their bodies were touching. Her breasts grazing against his shirt. She was looking straight ahead at the top of his shirt and Lex had to use not an inconsiderable amount of self control to say levelly,

“What are you doing?”

“Hitting rock bottom.” And she had snaked her arms around him and pulled him down to her.

Now

Chloe walks in and sits on the couch. Lex remains where he is behind the desk.

“Chloe. Thanks for coming. I thought I should make up for my rudeness to you the other day.”

“Well, apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks”

Lex smiles, and it is almost genuine, “ You can ask me anything you want”

“I can always do that. The question is, will you answer truthfully?”

“More than I have before”

He offers her a glass of water and notices the barely imperceptible shake when she takes it. He frowns and wonders what has got her so tightly wound.

“Can we turn the TV on? I want to keep informed about the explosion at the nuclear plant.”

She looks at him like she doesn’t believe a word of it but only says “I’m sure you do.”

He settles down on a chair that is facing the couch she is sitting on. “Have you seen Clark?”

She grips the glass tightly and whips her head up, “Don’t Lex. Just don’t”

And Lex feels something close to foreboding. The hairs on his back are standing up and something is not right. He sees Chloe looking at her cellphone and she gives a tight smile.
    “I have no coverage. You’ve thought of everything”

And Lex tries to stay calm which is proving difficult because he should know better than to underestimate Chloe. To underestimate her intelligence, her resourcefulness, her knowledge of him and most importantly, her continued devotion to Clark Kent.

There is a discreet knock at the door and his secretary peers round the door, “There is Clark Kent here to see you” and Lex feels the blood rushing in his ears and he is sick with fury but more than that, he is relieved and it makes him even angrier.

He looks up at Chloe, “Whatever you think you know, you don’t”

“I don’t think anything. I know that you planned the nuclear explosion to distract the Justice League and I know that you rigged up a 20 sq ft room with enough kryptonite to kill a small village and to fatally injure Superman, and I also know that you wanted me here, where Clark couldn’t reach me and I couldn’t help him.” She stops and waits.

“I know you have crossed lines Lex. Five years ago you crossed a line, I’m not sure what it was but it was something. But this, this is where it ends.”

Earlier

He was surprised by the strength of his reaction to Chloe. He had lifted her and brought her to the couch and they had continued to kiss, long and hard. He remembers her taking off her jacket, her pants and lifting her shirt off in a series of fluid movements,

“I’m impressed. Had a lot of practice?”

But she had shut him up with another kiss and then there was no more talking until he entered her and she had just whispered “Shit” in a kind of reverence.

When it was over they had lain there, Chloe resting her head on his chest and it had felt surprisingly good. They had been silent and after a while she had got up and dressed quietly and Lex had just watched her.

“Well, this has been eventful” she said with an ironic smile

“Indeed” he had replied and couldn’t stop the smile of his own

“I’m leaving Metropolis tomorrow.”

“Was it that bad?” Lex asks

“Ha ha. No, it was good. Really good. But if I needed any more proof that I have changed beyond all recognition then this was it.”

Lex was relieved, he had sensed that things could get complicated and he didn’t need that. Chloe knew him too well and no good could come of that.

“I’m going to Gotham. Grey, moody, boring and no superheroes. If you’re ever in town..” she left the rest of it unsaid and Lex nodded but didn’t reply and they both knew that it was just politeness.

Before she had left she had taken one last look at him and smiled.

Now

They are interrupted by Clark who enters and cannot bring himself to look at Lex which is good because Lex cannot look at him either.

“Clark, I’ll be out in a minute” Chloe says and unbelievably he accepts this and exits.

“Is anything you do real anymore Lex?”

“I’m happy Clark is ok” which is strangely enough the truth. “I do what I do for reasons you may not understand or be happy with” he sees Chloe widen her eyes in disbelief at this, “but for me they are legitimate.”

But she is already up and making her way around the oversized coffee table that separates them, and he stands up and tries to touch her sleeve but misses and instead runs his hand over his head, and chokes out, as it expelling a foreign object, “Five years ago. Here. That was real.”

And it slows her without stopping her and he tries again, suddenly realizing that he does not want things to end this way with them,

“Chloe, I’m in Gotham next month on business”

“Don’t look me up” she says before he can finish and then she is gone.

Later

Chloe sits in her Gotham apartment a week after the showdown in Lex’s office. She still hasn’t quite processed it. She believed Lex when he said that he was happy that Clark was ok and she also believed that he had genuinely tried to kill him. She thinks that the love hate relationship Lex and Clark have is still weighing down on the side of love. Just.

She wonders whether Lex has now crossed every line and if there is just a blank empty space in front of him. She wonders whether she can ever see him again the same way or if that man she knew is gone forever.

She thinks that she does not want to hear the word Superman ever again. That maybe, just maybe there had been some choice to her actions those years ago. She had also chosen to find comfort in Lex those years ago, she had chosen to know Clark’s secret, she had chosen to protect him and she had known the price was her childhood dream. But childhood dreams change. If she had to choose between knowing everything but keeping quiet or knowing nothing and shouting loudly she knows she would make the same choice again.

She looks out at the Gotham gloom and finishes her coffee. Her cellphone rings right on schedule, she doesn’t have to look at the caller ID, she knows it’s him. She cannot bring herself to speak to him yet, but in time she is sure she will forgive him, just like she has forgiven Clark.

She looks down at the article she turned in. Inoffensive and harmless. This doesn’t bother her as much as it would have done only a few days ago. It is enough that she knows the truth and is in her own way trying to navigate between Clark and Lex, two sides of the same coin. She no longer needs the world to know that she knows. She tries to get away from Superman, from Clark, from Lex and it never works. She is always drawn back, like gravitational pull.

So maybe, she should stop resisting.

Multi million dollar damage was done to the Metropolis Museum of Fine Art yesterday when an unknown substance was dropped from a helicopter into the main hall. It is unclear what this substance was but it is suspected that it was in someway intended to provoke Superman. The perpertrator is not known but unnamed sources suggest that LexCorp could be involved. Mr Luthor was unavailable for comment when approached.

By Chloe Sullivan
    Last edited by Pampermousse; 14th June 2009 at 23:16.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information