+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 14th June 2009

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 6th April 2009

The beginning of the interview looks really promising. Bring on the verbal judo!
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Most often found beating my head against the wall- in Michigan

Great chapter. If Lex really didn't know what kryptonite was, he hid it pretty well. Can't wait for more interaction between those two. Is there a history there between them, the hours between she ended up at the bar and then selling her house and moving?

NS Junior Member

Great story, i love it!

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Talking Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 6th April 2009

So, Lex is going to play innocent?!! Hopefully Chloe won't let him get away with that!! I'm so glad that you updated!! I hope you post more soon!!

NS Junior Member

Thank you for the comments - I really appreciate them! Sorry for the longer wait for this update - hopefully the next one will be quicker - hope you enjoy...

LEX

Earlier

Lex had always known there was something about those meteor rocks. It had taken a couple of years for his best people to tell him that these meteor rocks were unlike any meteor rock they had previously seen. He had then taken over. He had enjoyed the simplicity of research, of experimentation. It had been a long time since he had done any hands-on research but he had the feeling that this was something that no-one, however well paid, would have discovered but him. By this time he knew that Clark was Superman, he had known it the first time he had seen him in that ridiculous costume. And Clark, finally, had the decency to accept this knowledge and never protested when Lex called him Clark to his face whilst he was dressed as Superman. Lex had found it ironic that their relationship was more honest now than at any other time, and it had happened at the point where they did not have a relationship to speak of.

When he had all the knowledge he needed about Kryptonite, Lex had decided to bargain with Clark. He had called him to the penthouse and he had offered to never use the green rock if Superman promised to leave him and business alone, and if Clark promised to stop digging at the Planet. He had thought it was a fair deal. Evidently Clark hadn’t. He had tried unsuccessfully three more times; he always had been a hopeless optimist when it came to Clark. At the last attempt, Clark had been particularly insufferable in his refusal to consider what Lex was offering him. The next day he had ordered the drop of 5o kilos of pure untainted kryptonite through the glass ceiling of the Metropolis Museum of Fine Art.

Now

Lex looks at Chloe, waiting for her answer. She rolls her eyes and he suppresses a smile.

“Ok, let me phrase it another way. Why are you trying to kill Superman?”

Lex is surprised at her boldness; he is not ready to have an open conversation about this. Yet.

“Why would I need to bother myself with Superman? I am the richest man on the planet, bar a few oil sheikhs. I have total power over the city I live in. I just dial a number and I can change anything I want in Metropolis.”

“Wow, can I have your autograph?” He breaks off at Chloe’ interruption.

“You can’t stop people flying can you?”

“Can’t I?”

Chloe looks at him. She seems unmoved by his cryptic admittance of what happened the previous night.

“I know you dropped the kryptonite Lex. You want it to be known. It wasn’t subtle. What interests me is for you to waste what was it? Approximately 40 kilos of kryptonite on making a point must mean that you have a hell of a lot more of it.”

Lex thinks that he doesn’t need Chloe getting in the middle of his business with Superman. He isn’t sure of her motivations.

“Clark’s a big boy Chloe.” He pauses. “He can take care of himself. We’re not in Smallville anymore” She doesn’t even blink at his use of the name Clark.

He watches her slowly get up, appreciates her cool calmness, and thinks it looks good on her. She is in front of him now.

“No, we’re not Lex. I’ve moved on, Clark’s moved on, but here you are. Still trying to get one up on Clark. I thought you would have grown up by now.”

She delivers this looking directly into his eyes. It almost cuts a little too close to the bone, but he has layers upon layers of protection over his weaknesses, and he has made sure that no-one can touch them.

“Interesting observation coming from you” he says “your definition of moving on is sacrificing
    your dreams so that Clark’s secrets remain safe. I’ll take my failure to grow up over that any day.”

He hopes he has hurt her, she knows too much about him and it makes him uncomfortable. He can see that she is leaving. She does not look particularly upset and if he had to guess he would say she seems tired.

“You won’t win Lex. Why torture yourself?”

He is left alone and thoughts unbidden return to him. Of the night so many things started and so many things ended.

Earlier

Lex had meticulously built his reputation up again, after the battering the Luthor name had gotten from his father and then from his less than legal dealings. It would be untrue to say he had cleaned up; rather he had become better at not being caught and diverting people’s attention. He had made hundreds of charitable donations, had built building for no other reason but charity, and had started five different foundations. It wasn’t gratitude or applause that he wanted with these ventures. He wanted indifference to his business dealings. He wanted the same detached boredom afforded to every other businessman in the city. He had managed to get Philanthropist of the Year, when Clark had run an exposé on a testing plant of his in Texas. He had framed the headline, “Immoral Exploitation” as if there were another kind. Clark or rather Superman had done his homework. Lex was forced to shut down the facility, deny all knowledge and reacquaint himself with that recently removed stain on his character. Lex had hoped that Clark had got it out of his system but every couple of months there was something new.

One day, in the spring, he had got information that one of his employees was going to speak out about the human testing he was doing on meteor survivors. Lex liked to think that if he hadn’t already been battered with a barrage of Lex Luthor is Evil stories from the Daily Planet he would have handled it differently. In the event, he had ordered the killing of an innocent man.

Later

He is reading over the blueprints of the weapon again at the penthouse. He can spot no faults but he would like to be able to give them to someone else to look at. As this is an impossibility he will have to keep looking at them until he spots something, or is satisfied there is nothing to spot. His private line rings.

“I had one last question.” Lex closes his eyes, listens to the familiar voice

“Why have you never said anything to anyone? All these years you’ve known who he is. You could destroy him.” Chloe seems genuinely curious.

“I like knowing something others don’t”

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 15th April 2009

Is it bad that I'm not worried about Chloe saving Clark?!! While I don't think Clark should have accepted Lex's agreement the way it was stated, the least he could have done was negotiated!! Chloe is wonderful!! I like how she shows Lex her strengths, even though she's tired of Clark and her life!! Thank you so much for the wonderful update!!

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

Re: Elective Affinity (R) UPDATE 15th April 2009

Great chapter
    Malu

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

This was verbal judo at its best. Great update. I´ll be eagerly awaiting next chapter.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

That was a nice update. Chlex at it's best.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Most often found beating my head against the wall- in Michigan

I like it! It's a really great portrayal of evil Lex. I like how objective Chloe is able to be in this situation as well. Great job!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information