Thread: Fanfiction Access - One Post Rule REMOVED

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Fanfiction Access - One Post Rule REMOVED

I've removed the need to have one post before you can access the fanfictions. The new set up is as follows:

Guests can view 10 threads before they are forced to register/login. This includes all forums except Announcement/News, Help/Errors/Tips and the Newbies forum.

Registered users can view the forums, including the fanfictions forum, without having to have one post.

I'm looking into the possibility of moving all inactive users to an inactive usergroup where said users don't have access to certain forums (like the fanfictions forum) to encourage activity on the boards.

Just a little FYI (for your information) to those of you who spread the word about NS

This will hopefully encourage more people to join up and become a part of our community
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Fanfiction Access - One Post Rule REMOVED

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post

Guests can view 10 threads before they are forced to register/login. This includes all forums except Announcement/News, Help/Errors/Tips and the Newbies forum.
    I think this is a great idea to let visitors have a little taste of what they might enjoy if they joined. Many a time people are discouraged when they canīt actually see some of the content before reaching a decision. Putting a limit to the threads they can access seems appropriate to encourage them to join if they find the site appealing and interesting enough to come back.

I'm looking into the possibility of moving all inactive users to an inactive usergroup where said users don't have access to certain forums (like the fanfictions forum) to encourage activity on the boards.
    When you talk about inactive users, do you mean lurkers or people who sign in very very rarely?
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 20:14.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    I think this is a great idea to let visitors have a little taste of what they might enjoy if they joined. Many a time people are discouraged when they canīt actually see some of the content before reaching a decision. Putting a limit to the threads they can access seems appropriate to encourage them to join if they find the site appealing and interesting enough to come back.

When you talk about inactive users, do you mean lurkers or people who sign in very very rarely?
    Exactly. And this will allow the search engines to fully crawl through NS as well, in case anyone searches for a fanfiction they should be able to find it more easily

By inactive users there are two meanings. One is people who haven't logged on for a while, or two, people who haven't posted in a while... I was thinking of going with the people who haven't posted in a while, to slightly push them out of their shells...
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Julie's Soul Sister

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    By inactive users there are two meanings. One is people who haven't logged on for a while, or two, people who haven't posted in a while... I was thinking of going with the people who haven't posted in a while, to slightly push them out of their shells...
    I agree. It's fun that people register here to read the fics, but it's fun if they can participate or leave feedbacks once in a while. at least for the fics, it's a good way to show appreciation to the authors.

Quote Originally Posted by MelBee1985 View Post
    I agree. It's fun that people register here to read the fics, but it's fun if they can participate or leave feedbacks once in a while. at least for the fics, it's a good way to show appreciation to the authors.

I completely agree; thatīs why I asked Julie for clarification. There are many people who one knows are loyal readers, but who are reluctant to leave feedback- itīs not something unique to these forums, by the way. I always say a couple of words and an emoticon are enough to keep a writer happy and encourage him/her to keep going. Itīs discouraging to speak and get static or only silence on the other end of the line; even more so when you actually know there IS a person on the other side.

So, go ahead, Julie. Letīs launch a campaign to help lurkers get out of their shells. We might bark but we donīt bite!
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 20:14.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post

So, go ahead, Julie. Letīs launch a campaign to help lurkers get out of their shells. We might bark but we donīt bite!
    Speak for yourself.

But yes, I like this policy. Here's hoping it works.
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    Hey (for the record), Iīm a very amicable person! Of course I was joking! What I meant is that there are many members who enjoy reading oneīs work and seem to be afraid of expressing themselves as if they thought we might bite them- in the sense that we might find what they say silly or something. Itīs a pity because feedback is not only a mood booster, but it also helps writers grow up and mature. Itīs readers who help close the creative cycle and enrich any piece with their insight and their personal point of view.
    Last edited by lexie; 23rd March 2009 at 20:13.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Thread Information