Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Fanfiction Awards 2009

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: NS Fanfiction Awards 2009! - Coming to a browser near you!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    By approved I mean to make sure it's not a graveyard fic and that it hasn't been previously nominated
    By previously nominated you mean in past editions of the Fanfiction Awards?

My fics:

COMPLETE FICS

Second Chances
    Payback Time
    The Love of Two Men
    Hope and Happiness
    The Countdown
    Shadows from the Past
    Finding the Way Back
    The Real Thing
    The Christmas Gift
    Addicted
    The Naked Truth
    Crossing Paths and its sequel
    Rebuilding
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Julie's Soul Sister

Julie, may I suggest doing rounds?

I mean, there are so many fanfictions that if, let's say, 25 are being nominated, perhaps we could then vote again and reduce it at 5-6 (or the number you set up) and the real finale is between them?

Or once the nominations are made, you could have a 'jury' selecting the top 5-10, then put them here so we can vote?

Jury could be people not involved in a fic and if so, couldn't vote for theirs?

Just a thought

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    By previously nominated you mean in past editions of the Fanfiction Awards?
    No, previously in this award show. You can only be nominated in one category once.

I can't remember the past winners of the Fanfictions Awards you see...

Quote Originally Posted by MelBee1985 View Post
    Julie, may I suggest doing rounds?

I mean, there are so many fanfictions that if, let's say, 25 are being nominated, perhaps we could then vote again and reduce it at 5-6 (or the number you set up) and the real finale is between them?

Or once the nominations are made, you could have a 'jury' selecting the top 5-10, then put them here so we can vote?

Jury could be people not involved in a fic and if so, couldn't vote for theirs?

Just a thought
    That was how we rolled the last time. First an open nomination, then a vote for the top 5, and then a vote of the top 5 for the top 1.
    Last edited by Julie; 4th March 2009 at 09:25.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

NS Full Member

Okay, now I understand the concern with capping an author's nominations in a category (we did ours differently). I would say that if a single nomination is all that's needed to put the story up for contention in the first round then there should be no limit on the number of stories the author can have nominated in that round, but then perhaps once you do the voting to reduce the nominees down take the top two vote getters by that author.

When you're reducing down to five maybe you could have people do a dream slate? Rather than each person casting their vote for one, have them choose their top five, then take your top five fics from that.

I know we've been bouncing around on numbers. I'm going to put my two cents in and say I think Five nominations is good number, enough for variety and not so many that it would be daunting to try to read all the fics in a category before voting if a person hasn't read some of them. Also, I think the cap for an author to have nominees in a category should be two, if they're good enough to have so many stories make it to the top that we have to cap them in the interest of variety than that should at least be reflected in a multi-nomination.

Poll results:

View Poll Results: Include WIPs (Work In Progress fics), yes or no?

Yes! Give the WIPs some glory too! 40 64.52%
    No! Make the authors finish their fics! 22 35.48%
    No opinion/Don't care 0 0%

Voters: 62.

It looks like we're including the WIPs

ETA: I've added a new poll to the thread regarding voting.

Require login (existing NS username and password) before you can vote?

Meaning, should you have to login with your NS username and password BEFORE you are given the ability to vote? You can nominate and browse the other sections without having to log in. Why do this? To make the voting process more protected from multiple votes. I have a bare minimum security added to the script now, but if people want to, they can easily find a way around this. By adding a login requirement, it makes this way-around a little more difficult.
    Last edited by Julie; 8th March 2009 at 21:14.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Julie's Soul Sister

Poll results:

View Poll Results: Include WIPs (Work In Progress fics), yes or no?

Yes! Give the WIPs some glory too! 40 64.52%
    No! Make the authors finish their fics! 22 35.48%
    No opinion/Don't care 0 0%

Voters: 62.

It looks like we're including the WIPs
    Hehe Cool.. But, how are you going to include them? Including them in all categories or having their own category (Best WIP of the Year).

Because some of us voted to include WIP, but not incorportae in all categories...

Or perhaps there would need a minimum chapters... ?

Quote Originally Posted by MelBee1985 View Post
    Hehe Cool.. But, how are you going to include them? Including them in all categories or having their own category (Best WIP of the Year).

Because some of us voted to include WIP, but not incorportae in all categories...

Or perhaps there would need a minimum chapters... ?
    I'm thinking a Best WIP of the Year would be the best and most doable choice. And how about a minimum of 5 posted chapters to be eligible?

Julie's Soul Sister

I'm thinking a Best WIP of the Year would be the best and most doable choice. And how about a minimum of 5 posted chapters to be eligible?
    Sounds good to me

NS Full Member

I think this is a good choice Julie. It's a great compromise to recognize those fics that have yet to be finished, but still encourage completion (if an author wants to see the fic eligible for everything).

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Julie, do you know which categories you will do? And is best WiP of the Year the only WiP category?
    Fanfiction Master List

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
    Oscar Wilde

My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard, and they're like it's better than thine, verily its better than thine, I could teach you but I must levy a fee...

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control; and, at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe

Thread Information