Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Fanfiction Awards 2009

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Re: NS Fanfiction Awards 2009! - Coming to a browser near you!

Quote Originally Posted by westwingwolf View Post
    I'm on board with finding the banner to be amazing, that light blue with the black is the perfect combination. I'd gladly go around wearing that banner if it were larger and I didn't look so weird doing so.
    Haha, perhaps we should make t-shirts with the text "I want YOU to vote, in the NS Fanfiction Awards at Naughty-Seduction.Net" - That'll be a hit Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by cypanache View Post
    [...]

1) WIPs - I agree with others who have said they should be able to be nominated but in a separate category. I would also add that perhaps it should be limited to active, non-graveyard WIPs. That way you're not punishing those of us who are simply too new to the fandom to have many (if any) finished stories, but you're not putting up stuff that is long dead.

2) Nominations - Are authors going to nominate themselves? Speaking as an author, I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea of putting myself forward, and frankly wouldn't do it. I'd lean toward no self-nominating. Also, is there a way the categories will be limited down to nominees? (i.e. top five nominated fics). Will there be a cap on the number of fics one author can have in a category? Because lets be honest, can we all forsee the entire NC-17 category being comprised of Five Zannie fics?

3) Categories -- I can actually help with this. So this would be my thoughts:

[...]
    --
    When we ran our awards, we allowed the characterization categories to be open to WIPs but none of the other story categories were.

=====

4) Awards Ceremony -- We actually had one in our pairing's chatroom. All the nominated authors came and quite a few general fans. It was immense amounts of fun.

5) Tagging -- We had a little icon made up that went next to all the nominees stories on the main shipper site. Just a little extra thing that was fun.
    Only non-graveyard stories will be allowed to enter.

Well, I can't really control who nominates who, so basically an author CAN nominate him-/herself. It's the voting process which is more fun

I see the number of nominations in one category problem, although, if I were to "ignore" the nominations when an author hits a number, then the people who want to nominate another story won't get their nomination in...

Categories; A lot of good stuff there, thanks!

5) I've made a "Vote for me" banner which authors will be able to have in their signatures if they are nominees. I'll make a bunch of graphics people can use during the fanfiction awards

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyblue View Post
    [...]
    As for the categories, I agree that there should be one category for all WIPs. I think that's best because you don't want too many categories. Having a separate WIP category for every category (for example, Best Angst and Best Angst WIP) instantly doubles the amount of categories.

Actually, you could have two WIP categories. One for stories actively in progress, and one for those fics that haven't been updated in a long time, and are unlikely to be finished, but you still love them.

And maybe the WIPs have to have a minimum number of chapters to be eligible.
    Having ONE category for ALL of the WIPs would be manageable... Like "Best WIP" or something like that could work

Regarding number of chapters, what should be put a limit at? 3, 5, 7?
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    I see the number of nominations in one category problem, although, if I were to "ignore" the nominations when an author hits a number, then the people who want to nominate another story won't get their nomination in...
    I would think that if we have a category with a cap - say 5 nominations - then it would be okay to say to everyone that if an author can have one story in the category and it will be the one with the most nominations. If the cap is 10 in a category, then every author could have two. I know that means that some people's stories won't get nominated, but I think that having an author's most popular (or 2 most popular) stories in a category should be a fairly good representation for the author while still leaving room for other authors. Besides, it will give people a reason to whip up support for their nomination. lolol

And I, also, completely love the absolutely gorgeous banner. Although you've fallen even further from your goal of slackerdom. Of course, if I get something beautiful to look at every time you forget to be lazy, then I'm happy.

You know, I hate to admit it, but I totally voted for making people finish their fics. LMAO How huge of a hypocrite does that make me? lolol

Regarding number of chapters, what should be put a limit at? 3, 5, 7?
    I would say 5, at the very least, because it shows that it's an actual, ongoing story and actually has time to have enough development for people to have invested in it emotionally.

~Sarah~

NS Full Member

Adding my two cents back. Sorry for not quoting out. I read through too many comments to keep up.

1) WIP -- I agree with the one category for WIPs (max split I'd do would be NC-17 and non-NC-17, but I don't exactly think its necessary). We break it down more than that and we'll run into the situation where there might only be two fics nominated in a category. Which trust me, kind of takes both the fun and the award out of the award. I would think 5 chapters would be good. Enough to really get a feel for the story.

2) Self-nominating/Nominations in general -- Personally I'm of the opinion that the nom process can be very important because the better the mix of the nominees the more exciting the vote. Also keep in mind the whole 'its an honor' to be nominated thing. People will use the nominees as a guide to finding great fic on this site (particularly if we keep them listed after the awards). Now, I have no idea how you're planning on doing the scripting/nom process from a computer/technical standpoint, so I can't comment on feasibility. But even if you lay out in the rules -- No self-nominating, no repeat nominating (i.e. if the nominations are anonymous, I cannot come back and nominate a story and then nominate it again and again in the same category just to make sure it gets in), then an honor system happens. I think people on this board are pretty trustworthy and no author wants to win by breaking the rules.

3) More on nominations -- theres also the issue of how many fics can we nominate per category. Just one or do we get to lay out our dream slate (i.e. five if there's five slots)

4) Capping -- I don't think you have to start ignoring nominations when the author hits a number simply say, for example, an author can have two stories per category, Once the nomination period has closed, if that author has the top four noms in that category take the two highest nominated stories and then move on down the line to the next most highly nominated story by a different author.

5) Graphic artist -- I think this is a great idea, but if we do it it shouldn't be limited to just those pieces associated with fics. We've got some astonishingly good graphic artists on this board and we should give them some props too

6) If we combined Action/Adventure and Suspense/Thriller into a category (i.e. Action/Suspense) could that work? Then you're not getting into the issue of too many or too similar categories, but you're also recognizing those stories that rock because their plotting is too kickass for words.

7) Finish date -- Since WIPs are only going to be eligible in one or two categories, would it be possible to give the authors a dead date about a month in advance? I.e. nominations will start on date X, to be eligible in non-WIP categories story must be complete by then. It might push a few authors who are on the cusp of finishing something (myself included) to buckle down.

Also, maybe something along the lines of Most Consistent? That's not the right phrasing, but something to recognize the fics that have stayed realistic and on plot, without straying or losing focus (not sure if that clarified it any better).
    My instinct with this, is that your nominated fics should be doing that anyway. We're recognizing these stories because they're good. And at least right now as I'm going through my dream slate in the back of my mind, I can't think of any that really do stray or lose focus.

So there are more of my thoughts to be used or disposed of as you will.

Also, final thing. Is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks for all the great comments Cyp!

I might need some help yes, so I'll let you know Thanks!
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

I voted 'yes' on the wips. I want Skauble's, Cypanache' and TheAmazingApe's fics up at least on the nomination list. Although I could NOT pick between which of their work I like the best.... yikes, I have to pick one per category?!!

I do firmly believe that it should only be wips that are being actively worked on right now. Which means that all graveyard fics are not to be considered. That's just my personal opinion of course... feel free to disagree *ducks behind a rock*

There's nothing for 'best newcomer' here?

Or best 'completed fic by a newcomer' perhaps?

I think it's a GREAT idea to have fanfic awards. Let's get this show started
    Last edited by somethingeasy; 3rd March 2009 at 16:33.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post
    There's nothing for 'best newcomer' here?

Or best 'completed fic by a newcomer' perhaps?
    I think you´ve skipped our first posts, somethingeasy, because we discussed and proposed that very same thing.

My fics:

COMPLETE FICS

Second Chances
    Payback Time
    The Love of Two Men
    Hope and Happiness
    The Countdown
    Shadows from the Past
    Finding the Way Back
    The Real Thing
    The Christmas Gift
    Addicted
    The Naked Truth
    Crossing Paths and its sequel
    Rebuilding
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    I think you´ve skipped our first posts, somethingeasy, because we discussed and proposed that very same thing.
    heh... oops! I didn't even notice that there were previous pages to the one that I viewed. I am definitely not getting enough rest these days.

One thing confuses me... I thought this was going to be a fic awards session only for fics written in the past year? But what I'd read indicates that ANY fic (written and posted whenever) is eligible for nomination? I guess this means that it's not a award giving ceremony for the year, but actually 'for all time', huh? LOL!

I look forward to checking out the categories.

Did anyone suggest Best OC (original character)?

One thing confuses me... I thought this was going to be a fic awards session only for fics written in the past year? But what I'd read indicates that ANY fic (written and posted whenever) is eligible for nomination? I guess this means that it's not a award giving ceremony for the year, but actually 'for all time', huh? LOL!
    It's been a while since we last held an award show, so we're going for all I think the last fanfiction awards was in 2003

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Did anyone suggest Best OC (original character)?
    Yes, Cy suggested it as part of her list several posts ago.

A question, Julie: Does the software allow any mechanism to make sure a person doesn´t submit her/his suggestions for the nominations more than once? I suppose you´ll institute this at the moment of voting, but I believe it´d be also fair for the previous step. I took part in other contests were it was done this way.

My fics:

COMPLETE FICS

Second Chances
    Payback Time
    The Love of Two Men
    Hope and Happiness
    The Countdown
    Shadows from the Past
    Finding the Way Back
    The Real Thing
    The Christmas Gift
    Addicted
    The Naked Truth
    Crossing Paths and its sequel
    Rebuilding
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    A question, Julie: Does the software allow any mechanism to make sure a person doesn´t submit her/his suggestions for the nominations more than once? I suppose you´ll institute this at the moment of voting, but I believe it´d be also fair for the previous step. I took part in other contests were it was done this way.
    Hmmm. Not at the moment, no. I could probably program something for it, but people could just use different computers... Besides, all nominations will have to be approved before they appear in the categories. By approved I mean to make sure it's not a graveyard fic and that it hasn't been previously nominated

Thread Information