Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Fanfiction Awards 2009

Re: NS Fanfiction Awards 2009! - Coming to a browser near you!

I'll leave category suggestions to others, but this is great! I love fanfiction awards! And Julie, the banner and avatar are gorgeous

I agree with what others that WIPs should be seperate to Complete fics, but I would defo like them to be included so I vote yes

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This is a lovely idea, and I agree with everyone else as well, Julie--the banner and avatar are just gorgeous
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I'm on board with finding the banner to be amazing, that light blue with the black is the perfect combination. I'd gladly go around wearing that banner if it were larger and I didn't look so weird doing so.

NS Full Member

Oh Fanfic Awards! I love Fanfic Awards. I actually ran a set for another fandom so I've got a little experience and would be happy to help in any way I can. I've got a couple of thoughts, take them for what you will:

1) WIPs - I agree with others who have said they should be able to be nominated but in a separate category. I would also add that perhaps it should be limited to active, non-graveyard WIPs. That way you're not punishing those of us who are simply too new to the fandom to have many (if any) finished stories, but you're not putting up stuff that is long dead.

2) Nominations - Are authors going to nominate themselves? Speaking as an author, I'm personally uncomfortable with the idea of putting myself forward, and frankly wouldn't do it. I'd lean toward no self-nominating. Also, is there a way the categories will be limited down to nominees? (i.e. top five nominated fics). Will there be a cap on the number of fics one author can have in a category? Because lets be honest, can we all forsee the entire NC-17 category being comprised of Five Zannie fics?

3) Categories -- I can actually help with this. So this would be my thoughts:

Best Veteran Author
    Best New Author (posting less than a year . . or two, whatever)
    Best Story
    Best Short Story
    Best WIP
    Best Erotica/NC-17
    Best Romance (Non-NC-17)
    Best Humor
    Best Angst
    Best Action/Adventure
    Best A/U
    Best Characterization of Lex
    Best Characterization of Chloe
    Best Characterization of a Non-chlex SV character
    Best Original Character
    --
    When we ran our awards, we allowed the characterization categories to be open to WIPs but none of the other story categories were.

=====

4) Awards Ceremony -- We actually had one in our pairing's chatroom. All the nominated authors came and quite a few general fans. It was immense amounts of fun.

5) Tagging -- We had a little icon made up that went next to all the nominees stories on the main shipper site. Just a little extra thing that was fun.

I too love the banner and the idea of awards.

as far as categories

Recognition for graphic artist for sure.

WIP should be included.

A category for most original story line.

recognition of best stories that are of longer length and perhaps another for short stories 3-5 parts.

Category for most romantic story

Best angst
    suspense/thriller

Most humorous scene or dialog

Best sex scene or sex within a story

I like the idea of recognizing some veteran writers along with new comers

perhaps an award of an author/story that best captures/represents the Chloe/Lex characters we admire the most.

Dagney

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

I think cypanache´s posting is more than worth-considering. Like her I´m against self-nominations- being a writer myself- and think she´s made a good point when mentioning the possibility of an author getting too many or all of the five nominations in one category. Maybe the number could be limited to two nominations per category per person. However, I wouldn´t be against having the same author nominated once for romance, once for angst and another time for NC-17, for instance.

Some of dagney/Sherry´s ideas are also interesting:
    • 1 Recognition for graphic artist (although there aren´t that many fics with graphic art, so the choice would be somewhat limited)
    • 2 Most original story line
    • 3 Best suspense/thriller (cypanache´s included Best Action/Adventure, but Suspense doesn´t necessarily involve so much action... perhaps just more mystery)
    • 4 Most humorous scene or dialog
    • 5 Best sex scene or sex within a story

I won´t quote any others because both Cy and Sherry have suggested similar things using different wording.

My fics:

COMPLETE FICS

Second Chances
    Payback Time
    The Love of Two Men
    Hope and Happiness
    The Countdown
    Shadows from the Past
    Finding the Way Back
    The Real Thing
    The Christmas Gift
    Addicted
    The Naked Truth
    Crossing Paths and its sequel
    Rebuilding
    Last edited by lexie; 3rd March 2009 at 06:46.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Ooh, this is so exciting! I've never been with a fandom long enough to vote for fics!

I wanted to add to the banner love; gorgeous, and caught my eye with the blue script. Nice choice.

I agree with:

-WIPs accepted, but in a double category (i.e. Best Romance, Best WIP Romance, etc.).
    -All of Cy's categories, especially characterization
    -Limit of author nominations per category (I'd suggest just one per category), but not overall awards (I second the Zannie smut prediction, otherwise)
    -Dagney's plot line suggestion and humorous scene

Also, maybe something along the lines of Most Consistent? That's not the right phrasing, but something to recognize the fics that have stayed realistic and on plot, without straying or losing focus (not sure if that clarified it any better).

A Best Ending, or Most Satisfying Ending would be good, though not necessarily happy endings. Just an ending that really gave closure, and fit with the rest of the story.

And, last suggestion, a Best One-Shot, since most of these will probably get multi-chapter nominations.

Yay, award time!
    Last edited by wistfulwatcher; 3rd March 2009 at 06:59.

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wistfulwatcher View Post
    And, last suggestion, a Best One-Shot, since most of these will probably get multi-chapter nominations.
    Since most, if not all, the short stories on this forum are one-shots, I´d say they´d be covered by Best Short Story.

My fics:

COMPLETE FICS

Second Chances
    Payback Time
    The Love of Two Men
    Hope and Happiness
    The Countdown
    Shadows from the Past
    Finding the Way Back
    The Real Thing
    The Christmas Gift
    Addicted
    The Naked Truth
    Crossing Paths and its sequel
    Rebuilding
    Last edited by lexie; 3rd March 2009 at 07:13.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Since most, if not all, the short stories on this forum are one-shots, I´d say they´d be covered by Best Short Story.
    Ha ha, good point. That'll teach me to skim.

I also love the banner. It definitely caught my eye.

As for the categories, I agree that there should be one category for all WIPs. I think that's best because you don't want too many categories. Having a separate WIP category for every category (for example, Best Angst and Best Angst WIP) instantly doubles the amount of categories.

Actually, you could have two WIP categories. One for stories actively in progress, and one for those fics that haven't been updated in a long time, and are unlikely to be finished, but you still love them.

And maybe the WIPs have to have a minimum number of chapters to be eligible.

Thread Information