+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NS Advent Calendar 2008 - Two Dozen and One Holiday Lies - Reviews/Feedback here!

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2008 - Two Dozen and One Holiday Lies - Reviews/Feedback here!

Part 10:

How exciting that was like Mission Impossible! I loved it. Lex coudl be a great Bond as well. I am glad they are ok. I can't wait to see what happens next.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2008 - Two Dozen and One Holiday Lies - Reviews/Feedback here!

Woo-hoo, the Chlex survived that attack!

And I like that they are sharing ing their information about the warehouse and empty containers--they will only solve this mystery by working together
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

I'd been so riveted with this story and in the moment events-so exciting- that I forgot all about the gift. I also love how clever and protective Chloe is- Lex needs her so much in his life. Dagney

Part 11:

Yes he figured it out. He is so smart. I loved how Lex pretty much said through thick and thin Chloe is always by his side. She is a loyal friend who doesn't deserve to have Clark and Blana as friends.

I loved this line:
    Because the small box in his hands held more than just a Christmas gift, more than even an all purpose, life saving device…

It held a second chance.
    That made me heart go awwww!!!
    Last edited by hfce; 11th December 2008 at 22:03.

I love that Chloe is so prepared for any and all emergencies, and that she wants to make sure Lex is too

And good for Lex for instantly knowing that it was Chloe who had given him the lighter. I also like that he's getting tired of having to deal with Lana and her drama queen self--if only this had happened on SV
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

My Fanfic Master List

first time commenting on the fic! but it has been lovely thus far. i'm glad that lex recognized how much he missed chloe and how dumb his initial plan was. chloe had the right idea after all, she was still constantly in danger despite the distance between them. so yay! for second chances!! looking forward to more!!!

Part 12:

Chloe you big dummy. He was dumping Blana not dating her. UGH!! You must open that gift it is from Lex. I can't wait to see what he got her.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

It was awesome getting so many chapters in a big, delicious clump like this, Skauble.

Chapter 7:
    LOL! It was definitely fun seeing how BOTH Lex and Chloe were very pleased to have the other OUT of this investigation… LOL! As if that was going to happen. I also loved how both Chloe and Lex were grudgingly forced to admit to themselves that help from the other would have been very helpful, useful and productive… but even that practical reason wasn’t enough to get them over their protective instincts.

Hmmm, it would have been interesting to see what kind of answers they come up with if the pool their considerable and formidable resources together though. Lex has found out the oddest fact that those placed boxes in his warehouse were just EMPTY?!? That just… doesn’t make any SENSE!!!

Not only that, but Chloe also found out that this whole thing is a great deal bigger than anyone would have imagined. Apparently someone is pulling strings ALL over the underworld to get something big pulled, and it’s all centred around LuthorCorp somehow. I’d say that Chloe and Lex really need to get their act together and start working as a team before everything blows up in their faces.

LOL! But all this being said, Lex’s paranoia was especially fun to watch. I really liked seeing how he sent over an expert to check VERY thoroughly over Chloe’s car, making sure it was perfectly clean. And even after finding out her car had been untouched, Lex still attached a stalke… oops… I meant ‘a bodyguard onto Chloe’s tail, LOL!

LOL! And of COURSE Chloe was going to be furious and livid about that. I really liked how she actually panicked when she actually saw she was being tailed, and then how she skilfully managed to discover who was really behind the following car, AND finally how enraged she was when she discovered that it was one of Lex’s hired guards following her around, LOL!

Oooh, it was also great getting some of the details on Keegan! I was actually wondering about Chloe’s well-informed source who tipped her off to the LuthorCorp… ‘thing’ that was happening, so it was very satisfying getting so many details about this fellow, and the mutually benefiting working relationship that he’s established with Chloe.

Yikes! Although it was pretty unnerving seeing Keegan warning Chloe that she should consider backing off THIS assignment. I get the feeling that Keegan is not the type of person to give warnings like these lightly, which means he seriously believes there’s a lot of danger associated with this latest happening.

Hopefully Chloe will heed the warning… she won’t ‘back off’ like Keegan suggested, but perhaps she’ll be a little more careful about where she steps in this?

Perhaps?

Heh… probably not, huh? This is all about protecting Lex Luthor after all, which means Chloe is going to jump into this head first without a moment’s thought if it means making sure Lex is kept safe.

Chapter 8:

I really loved chapter eight, and seeing how Chloe’s and Lex’s lives are continuing to mirror each other in the strangest and most compelling ways. Heh… this time it was being stood up by people who they KNOW to be unworthy of them. Chloe has become used to being disappointed by Clark’s carelessness, and Lex… lol! Lex has actually been stood up by Lana Lang?! ROTFL! Oh dear… the sheer humiliation of that!

It was even more painful (and sadistically hilarious) seeing how Lex had arranged for a ridiculously clichéd carriage ride to win over Lana this evening… and he had been stood up for that?! heh… I can only imagine the smirks and howls of laughter that would have followed Lex once that news made it’s way around town.

First the very fact that Lex actually arranged for something as trite and clichéd as a horse carriage ride… which he did ONLY because he knew it would appeal to Lana, and second being rejected despite the ridiculously humiliating extremes he went through to gain the lady’s favour. How pathetic would that have been? LOL!

Hmmm, I do wonder what the HECK kind of answers Lex needed from Lana that actually drove him to this kind of extreme?! Hmmm, not to mention pushing aside a burgeoning relationship with Chloe in order to pursue apretend relationship with Lana instead.

I loved how Lex had a moment to fully appreciate the utter humiliation (and loathsome pity) he was about to be on the receiving end of when Chloe rushed in to save him.

Chloe was really brilliant in the way she took in the whole situation in a matter of seconds, AND managed to come up with a solution to Lex’s problem quickly enough to save him the humiliation he was facing. LOL! I was delighted by her quick-thinking… and the really enjoyable acting job she put up providing Lex with his cues about the story to spin in front of the cashier.

Heh… and I was especially glad to see Lex’s profound sense of appreciative relief about having his skin saved by Chloe. This wasn’t the usual ‘threat to bodily safety’ that he usually sneers at… this was a threat to his pride, status and even emotional well-being… and he wouldn’t have been able to stand having THOSE demolished. He owes Chloe, big time… and he knows it too! LOL!

I also liked seeing Chloe noticing the look of relief and gratitude in Lex’s eyes… and being glad that she made a special effort to save him. It’s good to see that she doesn’t see this as a waste of her time and talents. Although no-one would have blamed her for leaving Lex to suffer as ‘punishment’.

I also loved seeing Lex actually saying ‘thank you’ to Chloe. I wasn’t actually expecting that! I was expecting Lex to show his gratitude through some kind of gesture… but for him to actually SAY it… that’s quite a big deal for him

I really liked the note about how Lex was able to say ‘thank you’ to Chloe (like he wouldn’t be able to anyone else) because he didn’t feel he needed to hide his ‘weaknesses’ from Chloe. He trusted her so completely that he wasn’t afraid to show her his weak-spots for fear of her exploiting them in the future… because he knew she just wouldn’t do that! Isn’t it wonderful seeing how these two kids trust and support each other!

LOL! I giggled hearing Chloe’s snarky comment about how now they both are trapped into taking that ridiculous, embarrassing horse carriage ride (designed for Lana’s preferences no less! LOL!). I can see she’s cringing at the thought of riding it as much as Lex was while arranging it.

So it came as a really happy, pleasant surprise to see that Lex was… in a way, looking forward to the ride because it would be a ride shared with Chloe. It might be an embarrassing, cliché… but Chloe’s company will make it all worth it.

In fact, this whole embarrassing experience was worth the hassle and humiliation because Lex has FINALLY acknowledged a simple truth he’s been hiding from for all this time… that he missed Chloe! LOL! way to go in figuring out the obvious, Lex Luthor! ROTFLAMO! You going to point out that stunning revelation to Chloe too?

Chapter Nine

I was SO glad that I was stopping to review each chapter before going on to read the next one, Skauble. I LOVED how the carriage ride took a VERY unexpected, exciting turn into a thrilling life-or-death chase scene!

It was especially fun because it started off as such a DULL trip for poor, long-suffering Chloe. I was ROTFL at Lex’s amused comment about how her face is going to freeze into a frown of displeasure over the carriage ride. LOL! It was so much fun seeing how Lana’s and Chloe’s ideas of a ‘romantic trip out’ differs so completely.

Quite honestly, I really don’t know which romantic trip would appeal to Lex more. In fact, it’s hard to say what he’d HATE more… being jostled around by crazed shoppers in the Metropolis streets on Christmas Eve, OR stuck in a boring carriage ride in freezing temperatures. But I get the feeling he wouldn’t care what kind of a trip he was on… all HE would care about was the company he was keeping… which is why I LOVED that fact that he was actually enjoying the carriage ride because he got to spend it with Chloe.

Heeee!! It was VERY satisfying seeing Lex finally getting A Talk from Chloe about how he’s basically been an idiot for cutting her out of his life. An insensitive jerk of an idiot no less, because he hurt her feelings by cutting her off so abruptly.

I ALSO loved how Lex felt a small measure of satisfaction over seeing how much Chloe had been hurt because she missed him… as well as the guilt for making her feel that pain. LOL! Trust Lex Luthor to entertain us with beautiful, complex, twisted emotions in this manner.

It was VERY nice seeing Lex experiencing feeling that lovely old ‘I’m a complete dumbass’ sense of revelation combined with a healthy dose of guilt over his asshole behaviour. Heh… you’re going to think twice before pulling a stunt like this again, Lex?

“But Lex,” she continued, keeping her voice low to avoid sharing their conversation with the driver, “even if we just took the last week of my life, I interrupted a robbery, was shot at, fled criminals in a high speed dash for the city limits, and had a confrontation with your father. All of which, although involving LuthorCorp, were due to circumstance that I initiated completely on my own. Even after you’d kicked me to the curb. So what’s your big safety plan now, huh?”
    I loved Chloe’s outraged tirade against Lex. I loved how Chloe drove it home, in the most clear and indisputable way possible, how Lex’s actions were completely senseless, stupid and counter-productive. I have no doubt that Lex has ‘learned his lesson’ good and proper now, and has figured out that separating himself from Chloe in an attempt to ‘save her’ is just moronic. All he did was separate himself from the chance to offer her help and support in whatever trouble she might be getting into without him behind her.

LOL! I was howling with laughter seeing that the main point in the tirade that Lex ended up focusing on was Chloe’s mention of her ‘interaction with Lionel’. ROTFLMAO! Trust Lex to let everything else flow past him, and ONLY pick up on the words ‘a confrontation with your father’.

Awww, wasn’t it lovely to see Chloe declaring that she had basically gone toe to toe against Lionel to warn him to ‘stay away from Lex’. I get bet Lex was torn between outrage about hearing about how she endangered herself, and heart-warming sappiness hearing about how this remarkable, INSANE woman went up against the Magnificent Bastard for his sake.

It’s GOOD to see that Chloe’s tirade and her heartfelt declaration on protecting ‘her partner’ has finally convinced Lex that he needs to be with Chloe as part of a team. They’ve finally formed the alliance that they need to get out of whatever latest mess they’ve landed in this time.

And the alliance was formed JUST in the nick of time too! I loved how you arranged their rekindled partnership just a few scant seconds before the gunshots were fired, Skauble. It was thrilling, exciting and brilliant timing! I loved it! And I was practically hopping with anticipation to jump over to the next chapter.

Chapter Ten

Lex, however, was not dumb. He’d made a lifetime of profiting from the miscalculations of others and the people currently shooting at them had made more than just the one. Setting aside the fact that it was never wise to attack a Luthor, as countless others had learned to their regret, they had also been extremely foolish to assume that Lex had learned nothing from his past mistakes.
    Chapter ten got off to an awesome start, and I loved how it began with an accounting of the careless, thoughtless mistakes that Lex’s enemies had made during this attempt on his life… followed immediately with Lex assessing those mistakes and taking advantage of the ‘loopholes and leeway’ that he had been granted to mount up a proper defence for himself (and for Chloe of course).

LOL! I was both amused and awed to see that Lex’s ‘carriage rider’ was actually packing heat! It seems Lex really HAS learned from his previous encounters with near-death encounters, and leaves nothing to chance anymore. That’s excellent news!

So he ordered one of his bodyguards to be the carriage driver, huh? ROTFL! I wonder just how embarrassed that poor guard must have been to play a role in such a sappy, cliché romantic evening, ROTFL! I’ll bet he must have been feeling pretty damned grateful for the interruption from his carriage responsibilities actually, LOL!

Clearly, their pursuers hadn’t planned on such an extremely rural detour. And, while the carriage was by no means deftly handling the terrain, his man’s familiarity with the area and the fact that their vehicle’s, admittedly minimal, speed wasn’t hampered by the body being so low to the ground, did much to balance out their odds in the short term.

Even the horses were doing well. Having been initially spooked by the gunshots, they’d responded well to Linder’s strong hand and, while certainly skittish, were moving at near break neck speeds without veering off course in a wild panic.
    Wow! That was thrilling and exciting writing, Skauble. I loved getting the fast paced details of this scene. I can see that everything mentioned here had taken place within a matter of a few moments, but I could imagine everyone’s sense of perception being lengthened out to take in everything happening all at the same time.

I really loved how you provided details about how the situation was being managed with the carriage and horses being part of a chase. It seems like Lex still has a fighting chance of getting away despite how it’s basically a pack of horses against a fast-speeding car. Awesome!

And he couldn’t help the small smile that tugged at his lips despite their dire circumstances. Because, only Chloe would be less bothered by the prospect of dying than the prospect of doing so in their backwater town instead of on the trail of a front page story in the middle of the seamy underbelly of Metropolis.
    ROTLMAO! I love how Lex took amusement in Chloe’s attitude during a moment like this. And I loved how Chloe HAD an attitude like this in this present situation. ROTFL! Lex is right! Only Chloe would feel irritated over the prospect of dying in the middle of nowhere during the middle of a horse and buggy ride.

Squeee!! Wasn’t it awesome to see how Chloe was clinging to Lex… NOT holding onto him like a fainting damsel in distress, but actually to protect him?!? I’m sure if Lex had ANY remaining doubts about them both being equal partners, this would have completely dispelled that view.

Heh… but it seems like Lex still has yet to learn how to act and behave properly on that revelation. I was as furious as Chloe seeing Lex basically locking Chloe up in a room ‘for her own protection’ while he went out and took care of ‘important, protective, manly stuff’ on the outside.

Heh… it was good to see Chloe yelling at him about leaving her alone with ‘Dancer and Dander’ watching over here (ROTLMAO! I loved Lex’s bemused feeling hearing his hired guns being given cutesy reindeer names, LOL!). Although, I think Chloe let him off the hook too easily, but I guess she’s saving the tirade, yelling sessions for a more convenient time… when they don’t have to prioritize keeping alive above all things.

Hmmm, it didn’t seem like they made much progress pooling their information together at this point in time… but at least now they’re working together as a team… which means that progress will go a lot more faster and deeper than before when they were on their own investigation paths.

“Discretion is essential. She’ll tolerate her current shadow, but any further attempts will be met with resistance and, most likely, defiance.” Lex was silent for a moment and when he spoke again his words were laced with a dark promise. “And if something were to happen to Miss Sullivan, it would be extremely unfortunate…for everyone.”
    LOL! Looks like there are still some sneaky plans that Lex is going to be running behind Chloe’s back in order to keep her ‘safe and protected’. For Lex’s sake, I hope Chloe takes into account that dangerous situations tend to bring out Lex’s obsessive paranoid streak… which means she might be a little forgiving about Lex-sponsored stalking?

Of course, she not going to be willing to put up with this for too long. Lex had better not try to prolong the stalking for beyond even a SECOND beyond the time of ‘absolute necessity’, LOL!

Chapter Eleven

squeee!! This was the chapter dedicated to the opening of the Christmas present. Honestly, in all the exciting developments, I had actually forgotten about that gift lying in Lex’s desk. So it was GREAT to come back to it, and finally find out what was underneath the lovely wrapping paper, and what kind of significance it might have held between Chloe and Lex.

With both Lana and Clark, things always felt like a struggle. Even when they were supposedly on the same side. It always felt as if he was on probation, and that one small move that they considered a misstep would ruin everything between them.

But with Chloe he’d felt like they were partners. She understood the reality that life was not black and white and that not even the best people were perfect. With her he’d never experienced that feeling that he was the first piece of dead weight to be tossed overboard in a storm. With Chloe Sullivan, you sank or swam together.
    That was beautiful, Skauble! I really loved hearing Lex’s comparison and contrast between his relationship with Chloe as compared to his interaction with ALL the other ‘close people’ in his life. I loved hearing about exactly why Lex feel so comfortable in Chloe’s company where he might feel stifled, judged, inferior, misunderstood or inadequate with other people. It was beautiful hearing about the specific reasons about why he needed Chloe, and how much he craved time in her company.

Inside, on a bed of blue velvet, was a silver lighter with the LuthorCorp logo engraved on it.

There was nothing remarkable about it. It was of good quality, but wasn’t ostentatious or overly expensive. In fact, it would have been seen as nothing more than a tasteful and generic holiday gift by someone who didn’t realize that he remembered every moment of their time together.
    LOL! What an excellent build-up, Skauble! I had to admit that I blinked in disappointed surprise at seeing the wrapping paper torn aside to reveal… a generic LuthorCorp lighter?! The present didn’t make any SENSE to me, which is why I was astonished by Lex’s intense reaction to the lighter, and eagerly leaned forward to find out exactly what kind of meaning he attaches to this gift… AND how he figured out, at a glance, that it was from Chloe.

With her at the time they were playing, awaiting a chance to be useful, was a bobby pin in her hair, a handcuff key in the lining of her purse, and a small travel box with both Ipecac and charcoal tablets.

Lex hadn’t known whether to applaud her preparedness or drag her far away from Smallville and never let her return.
    ROTFLMAO! I think this would fit quite nicely into another ‘only Chloe’ moment! Only Chloe would consider it perfectly reasonable to carry such extreme survival items around in her purse. I’m actually surprised that she didn’t have pepper-spray (or a taser) in there too.

And I was howling with laughter seeing how BADLY Lex Luthor had done in terms of ‘being prepared’ for emergencies. You would have thought that all of that imaginative, paranoid energy would have been channelled into useful pre-preparation just like Chloe… instead it seems like the dunce completely failed in paranoid pre-preparation, LOL!

“But- but,” she’d sputtered, “How would you light a signal fire? Sterilize a needle to give yourself stitches? Find your way through an air conditioning duct?!”
    ROTFLMAO! I loved, LOVED Chloe’s outraged disbelief over Lex’s complete lack of forethought on these issues. She honestly cannot imagine Lex NOT having basic survival items on his person. LOL! She was probably imagining Lex carries around the latest in survival gadgets on him… like portable bug detectors, army-knives with special attachments like switchblades and poison arrow dart-throwers, UV lights, etc, etc! She must have been SO very, VERY disappointed to have Lex turn out his pockets and reveal only money and credit cards, ROTLMAO!

I loved the visual you created for us, Skauble! It was priceless! ROTLF!

Because the small box in his hands held more than just a Christmas gift, more than even an all purpose, life saving device…

It held a second chance.
    Awww! What a LOVELY significance and meaning this Christmas gift has taken on between then Chlex couple, Skauble. It was the perfect moment to illustrate the beginning of a new alliance between both of them. I look forward to the next chapter to see what kind of form their alliance begins to take shape.

Ooooh, and there’s ALSO this unfurling mystery about WHO the HECK is behind these latest series of attacks on Lex and LuthorCorp?!? I can’t wait to find out!!

I think I'm STILL behind one chapter, aren't I? I just saw a review here for chapter 12? I'll go off and start reading it right now

Alright, I'm glad that Lex is finally backing away from Lana--finally he makes a good choice regarding that twit

I don't blame Chloe for wanting to leave The Talon--who would want to stick around and watch a bunch of men mooning over Lana Lang? And the fact that one of those men might be Lex makes it doubly sick!

I do like that he's left Chloe a gift, but I hope he starts trying to woo her for real. I hope we get to see Clark and Lana's stunned expressions.

Lastly, I can't wait to see what Lex has given Chloe
    KATHY

My Fanfic Master List

Good for Lionel for showing Lex the info that Chloe hacked into regarding the warehouse--the crooked truckers sound rather scary, and I hope Lex has a plan in mind in how to deal with them.

And I hope he won't be too hard on Chloe--it is in her nature to snoop
    KATHY

My Fanfic Master List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information