+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Such Good Times [PG-13] (09/06/08)

Such Good Times [PG-13] (09/06/08)

A/N : Okay, so now that my life is settling down some and back into a routine, albeit a new routine, I want and need to get back to my writing. I had this idea for a Chlex fic, a little different to anything I did before, and completey AU. I don't know how often I'll update this or even if I'll figure out how to get to the end, but here goes... Hope you like

Chapter 1

Present Day - 15th December 2007

Chloe burst through the doors into the office from the hall, attempting to stop the tears that still wanted to roll down her flushed cheeks. It was ridiculous, the pain and sadness ought to have been faked and yet it all felt terribly real as she stood here in this room, taking in the familiar surroundings that it was now time to leave behind. Two years ago today she had stood here in her wedding dress, shaking with nerves as she contemplated what she was about to do, what she was getting herself into. Now, she realised she’d completely misjudged the situation, now she hated the agreement she had made back then. Things could have been so different, but it was too late and too much had happened now.

Taking a deep breath, Chloe wiped her face with both hands to remove the tear stains from her cheeks, and moved across the room to where her bag was secretly hidden. Her watch told her that her performance had been timed to perfection, the driver would have the car ready in the garage beneath the mansion, but Chloe couldn’t just leave.

This room, this house, it held too many memories, each one as beautiful and painful as the one before. It was strange and almost agonising to realise there would be no more. It shouldn’t matter of course, she should be perfectly happy to walk out of here, proud of her achievements, proud of how she’d helped a friend out of a fix, but she couldn’t concentrate on those things. That friend, as he had once been, no longer held that title, and Chloe had to concentrate to keep her breathing even and the tears away at the very thought of how her losses in this far out-weighed the gain.

Turning towards the door by which she’d entered, making to leave with her head held high, she didn’t quite make it. Chloe’s breath caught in her throat as she realised her exit was now blocked, and by the very man she was trying to find a way to walk out on.

“You were impressive in there” he told her, removing one hand from his pocket to gesture vaguely down the hall, “You played the wronged woman to perfection” he half-smiled as he walked towards her.

“I’ve had some practice” she reminded him, with a sniff, “Anyway, it’s done now. Time for me to go” she said, with a faked grin that broke the moment she’d stepped past him.

“Chloe...” he called behind her and though she stopped walking she daren’t turn back, “How did we come to this?” he asked her.

“We committed the worst kind of sin, Lex” she said flatly, sparing him but one second glance before continuing on her way, “We mixed business with pleasure”

Two Years Earlier - 20th November 2005

Surrounded by the rich and famous, amongst the hustle and bustle of some crazy party atmosphere, this was the last place that Lex Luthor wanted to be. He ought to feel right at home, and was sure he would tonight, if not for the fact he had other things on his mind. Vivanta was normally his favourite place just to go and chill out for a while, though lately business and family matters had taken him away from his hang out that he liked so much.

It was all his fathers fault, though even Lex couldn’t find it in his somewhat cold heart to blame the man in question. Lionel Luthor had been far from the perfect Dad whilst Alexander was growing up, and yet his illness and subsequent death was not something Lex had coped hugely well with. It meant he was actually alone in the world now, very literally. Friends and girlfriends had come and gone from his life, some more than others by his own fault. Nevertheless, with his mother having passed away years ago when he was just a child, and his father having now followed the same path, that left only Lex, with an apartment in Metropolis that he already found too vast, and now a mansion in Smallville that would be even moreso.

It seemed that his father had foreseen the problem of Lex being alone and wanted something done about it. Lex physically winced as he played over the words he’d had read to him from Lionel’s will. Whilst the part stating that everything was to be left to Lex came as no big surprise, the conditions on his keeping everything he had inherited had brought on a fit of first stunned laughter and then cursing that would make a sailor blush!

“Lex” he suddenly heard his name and glanced up at the familiar eyes and smile of his favourite bartender, “For a while there I wondered if you were ever coming back to us”

“Come on, Chloe” he rolled his eyes at the pretty blonde, “You know your charm will always lure me back here eventually” he teased.

“And you know that flattery gets you nowhere with me, Mr Luthor” she told him, but was smiling none the less as she got him his usual drink on automatic and placed it on the bar in front of him, “Y’know I am sorry about your Dad” she said suddenly, her smile faltering, “I wasn’t going to mention but...”

“Thank you, Chloe” he said, putting his hand over hers on the bar, “You might just be the first person to mean those words so genuinely, but then I suppose it is helped by the fact you spent so little time in my fathers company” he smirked.

“I know what it is to lose a parent” she reminded him, “Okay, so my Mom isn’t gone in the same way but... well, you know” she shrugged, knowing he’d understand without further explanation that would only upset her if she had to give it.

He nodded that he understood as she excused herself to go serve other patrons waiting for drinks but promised to be back to talk with him later.

Alone once again, Lex let out a long breath and watched Chloe working. Guys whose best friend, or only friend, was a bar-tender were not often the most stable of men, and yet his connection with Chloe Sullivan wasn’t fuelled by the alcohol he drank here at the cocktail bar that was Vivanta. No, he and Chloe were real friends, in the truest sense, in that they knew every little thing about each other, more-or-less anyway.

It was crazy, they were from such different words, they shouldn’t get along so well, he one of the worlds few billionaire businessmen, and she a lowly bartender and waitress. Of course, Chloe aspired to more than that, and Lex had happily listened to her ramble on for hours about the career she was sure she was destined to have at the Daily Planet as the best reporter Metropolis, hell, even the world had ever seen. Right now she was studying hard at college, and paying her way quite easily via the top-end lower class wage she earnt at Vivanta. It wasn’t all about serving drinks and smiling politely, secret meetings took place here, which led to Chloe and her fellow staff earning a pretty penny for keeping their mouths shut about what they heard within these walls. If not for the crush a certain Mr Queen had on Chloe’s cousin, Lois Lane, Miss Sullivan knew she never even would have scored the job here. It was one of the luckiest events in her young life and she only hoped that particular luck did not run out.

Glancing down the bar, Chloe saw Lex staring into his drink as if he hoped it held the answer to his problems. Of course it didn’t, but Chloe hoped she might. She seemed to be the only one that could raise a smile in her favourite billionaire and made it her business to do just that each and every time he’d had a bad day. It might’ve been just another part of her job but not where the young Mr Luthor was concerned. He and Chloe were the strangest pair of best friends, nothing more, nothing less, at least not until tonight.

Heading back down the bar, she told her fellow bartender she was going on her break, drew off a shot of vodka and moved onto the other side of the bar, taking a seat beside a glum looking Lex Luthor.

“Okay, spill” she said, giving him a look, and he gazed back at her, “Come on, Luthor, something’s on your mind, and I don’t believe it’s all about your father”

“For once, Chloe, I’m afraid you’re wrong” Lex sighed, sipping at his scotch, “Though it’s not my fathers passing that is my real problem, the issue I have is almost completely his doing”

“Okay, explain” Chloe said with a frown, taking a mouthful of her own drink as she listened and he told her all.

“My father has put certain conditions on my inheritance, including the mansion in Smallville, his shares in all the businesses, and every asset” Lex sighed.

“What kind of conditions?” the blonde wanted to know, “I mean there’s no way you haven’t totally proved yourself as the model businessman...”

“Unfortunately, my father wasn’t only interested in my business acumen” Lex smirked, “He was very interested, however, in ensuring the family line is continued” he said, with a look as the cogs in Chloe’s head turned enough that she figured out what he was saying.

“Wait a second” she shook her head in disbelief, “You’re saying you can’t inherit any of your fathers money or anything until you, what? Have a son?”

“Not quite” Lex told her, finishing off his drink, “but I do have to guarantee the stability of the Luthor family tree by marrying a woman of certain specification within the next month, or else allow everything I’ve been working towards all my life to fall into the hands of God only knows who” he said with a humourless laugh as Chloe’s eyes widened.

“Lex, that’s... How could our father put you in that position?” she asked, though the question was pointless, since she already knew the answer.

Lionel was so twisted he could make a double helix look straight, and even now he was determined to make Lex’s life difficult from beyond the grave. Unfortunately, before Chloe had a chance to talk to her friend about his problem further her boss appeared and summoned her back behind the bar. Her protests that she was just taking her break fell on deaf ears as he pressed his point, telling her he needed to talk to her in the office right now.

With a sigh and apology to Lex, Chloe promised to be right back and headed off behind the bar with her boss. When securely in the office out of everyone’s ear shot, Chloe folded her arms across her chest and looked somewhat peeved.

“What’s up, Matt?” she asked him, since she couldn’t imagine what had been so important as to pull her away from her friend during her break.

“Chloe” Matt sighed, sitting down behind his desk and running both hands back through is hair, “God, how do I say this?” he asked himself.

“How about you open your mouth and just let the words come out before we use up my entire break here?” Chloe suggested in her usual forward manner that Matt was well accustomed to.

He smiled at her phrasing but the look was fleeting before he turned serious again and leaned forward with his elbows on the desk.

“You know you’re a great worker, right, Chloe?” he told her, “And with or without the favour we both know helped you land a job here, I would hire you now without question on your work ethic alone” he told her firmly.

“Why do I think there’s a but coming here?” Chloe said, looking equal parts angry and concerned, after all this was starting to look like a speech that ended with her losing her job, though she wasn’t sure she understood why yet.

“The fact is the great reference you got courtesy of Mr Queen has been... revoked” he offered as his own suggested word and Chloe turned her eyes heavenward.

“Damn you, Lois!” she yelled, stamping a foot in frustration, “He found out about her and Clark didn’t he?” she asked Matt who shook his head.

“Mr Queen didn’t tell me why, he just said he’d take his business and a lot of other peoples business elsewhere if I didn’t keep Lois Lane and any of her associates out of Vivanta” Matt said, looking terribly guilty about even having to say this to her.

Chloe was one of the best workers he’d ever had, and if it was up to him he would not be firing her, in fact he’d be promoting her instead. As it was, he couldn’t afford to lose half or more of his clientele, and Oliver Queen had enough pull to make it happen, in much the same way that he made certain the woman he adored, Lois Lane, got everything she wanted, including a favour for her cousin who was desperate for a job that paid well.

If what Chloe said was true, it would seem Miss Lane had happily taken all that her admirer would offer, without giving anything in return. In fact, it seemed she had another admirer who’s advances she found much less questionable. Finding out he’d been taken for a ride wasn’t going to thrill any man, but one so powerful as Oliver Queen would doubtless be doubly pissed.

Chloe was hardly less angry as she muttered something about getting her stuff together, before storming from the office. Sometimes she hated guys with money and power. In a lot of ways she had to respect them, and she couldn’t exactly blame Oliver Queen for all this, Lois was as much to blame for playing two guys off against each other the way she had.

The look on Chloe’s face when she emerged into the bar area told Lex she was far from happy, and that her talk with the manager had gone far from well.

“What happened?” he asked, looking genuinely concerned as she approached him.

“Not here” she said with a shake of her head, “Can we go somewhere?” she asked, and he agreed immediately, getting up from his stool and walking with her to the exit.

It suddenly occurred to both of them as they stepped out onto the street and the cold night air hit them that this was a little odd. They were practically best friends, and yet they had never seen each other purposefully outside of the bar. Their meetings and conversations were always there, with Chloe working and Lex either de-stressing after a tough day or meeting some fellow rich and powerful businessman to cut a deal. They didn’t spend time together outside of the bubble that was Vivanta, until now. Without a word the pair just started walking, down the street, around the corner and across into the park on the opposite side of the road, where Chloe dropped down onto a bench and Lex joined her, still in silence.

“I was fired” she said flatly then.

“Chloe, if this has something to do with our friendship...” Lex said guilty, hating to think he might be the cause of her problems.

“No, Lex, it has nothing to do to you” she smiled slightly at his concern, as she put a hand to his arm, reassuring him that this was really not his fault, “No, the hand up I got from Lois’ admirer, Oliver Queen, has just been taken away and left me to fall flat on my face” she sighed, “Oliver found out Lois has a new boyfriend, and he’s not happy with anybody associated with her, especially the cousin he helped get a job, be anywhere near his favourite hang out”

“You know I never did like that Queen” Lex said seriously, “I can deal with this, Chloe, if you want me to”

“Hey, whoa on the white charger routine, Luthor” Chloe laughed lightly, “I already had one rich guy mess with my employment, I think this time I’ll go it alone” she told him with a good-natured smile, “I appreciate the offer though” she said definitely, after all she was going to need cash from somewhere and fast if she was going to keep her place in college and the life to which she was accustomed.

“Come on, Chloe” Lex urged her, “Let me do something to help you” he practically begged as he turned sideways on the wooden seat and looked at her with almost pleading eyes, “What’s the point in my being one of the richest guys in the world if I can’t use what I have to help those I care about most?”

“Lex” she sighed, “If I was your friend just because I wanted your money I’d’ve seduced you and married you by now” she said rolling her eyes as she got to her feet once again.

Considering she was often famed for having an answer to everything, Lex ought to have been proud that his next question rendered Chloe speechless, and yet that wasn’t really the first thing that came to mind. In fact, he was almost as shocked as she was that he’d said it just moments after the words had left his lips.

“Then why don’t you?” he said as she turned wide eyes upon him, “Chloe, why don’t you marry me?”

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by Ultra; 4th September 2008 at 18:58.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Such Good Times [PG-13] (16/01/08)

It's nice to see you out and about again, and I think writing is the perfect way to get back to normalcy.

Now, I love what you are doing with this story and I can't wait to see how this marriage was for them, when did things start to change from more than a business arrangement, and what is making them go through the divorce if Chloe's had a change of heart (and I'm quite certain Lex has too). Is there another woman (Please say no and if so, please don't let it be Lana)? Did Lionel say that the marriage could only last for two years for whatever mean reason? Did Lex and Chloe choose a two year limit and are just refusing to admit that they have feelings for each other? The possibilities are endless and I can't wait to read more.

Oliver is an ass for taking it out on Chloe and Lois is bad for not being honest with Oliver in the first place.

I love that Lex and Chloe are friends in this piece and I wish Lionel had stipulated that Lex produce an heir. I wonder though what were the specific qualifications that Lex's wife needed to have?

Great Start! Can't wait to see how thier relationship progress from friendship to something more. And also what is going to happen after chloe walks out the door.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This is a wonderful beginning!

“Lex” she sighed, “If I was your friend just because I wanted your money I’d’ve seduced you and married you by now” she said rolling her eyes as she got to her feet once again.
    I can just picture Chloe saying this line

Please continue this story as soon as you can.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

This was a very interesting Chlex fic. It didn’t feel AU at all. I’ve read some fics that are AU, but the characters seem too twisted out of their true natures to seem true. But this fic kept all the character’s personalities true to form while only ‘tweaking’ a little bit of their histories.

I LOVED the starting. It was exactly the kind of beginning that appeals to me. Filled with plenty of anguish, suffering and trauma… AND also have a suggestion of a long complicated mysterious backstory to keep it intriguing. There was even a suggestion of ‘happier times’ in the past which only made Chloe’s anguish and suffering all the more cutting, which was fantastic.

It was quite obvious that Chloe was in agony, which she was trying to hide from Lex… but Lex’s feelings were still a mystery. But the optimistic romantic in me insists that he was suffering as much (of not more) as Chloe. I can’t wait to get some more details about everything that led to this forced separation between the two.

I especially liked the parting line that Chloe threw at Lex about mixing business with pleasure… Now on top of anguish and intriguing backstory, there is also an element of deal-making and ‘bargains with the devil’ in this fic… Now isn’t THAT the most delicious combination? LOL!

I liked the description of Vivanta, and how Lex finds some semblance of peace and relaxation at this place… mostly because of the presence of his best friend, the bartender of this establishment.

Making Chloe into a high class bartender paying her way through college was an inspired move. I loved the visual, and I very easily imagine Chloe fitting into such a job on her way to her dream career. I HIGHLY approved of the fact that her dream was still to become a reporter. I don’t think I would have been too satisfied with Chloe settling for a bartending job for the rest of her life.

Heh, and it was pretty funny getting the details about how Chloe had secured this relatively high paying, cushy kind of a job. I can easily imagine Oliver Queen trying to impress and get into Lois’s pants by easing her way into well-paying work. It’s really such a pity that the man behaved like a baby about Lois double-dealing him. He ‘could’ have been the bigger man and just dropped Lois without a second glance… instead he went through the petty trouble of making sure both Lois and her cousin lost the job that they were performing most admirably. By throwing a babyish tantrum fit over it no less. Not very impressive behaviour from a billionaire, but I suppose an arrogant billionaire can be as petty and vengeful as any other person.

I did enjoy how Lex and Chloe managed to strike a friendship despite the differences in… well… everything! I would have loved to have found out about the incident or the conversation that sparked off their friendship in the first place.

LOL! It figures that Lionel would have found some way of making Lex’s life complicated and difficult from beyond the grave. The old bastard wanted one last final laugh, huh? He did a good job too, LOL!

I look forward to finding out what Lex meant exactly when he said he has to find himself a woman of ‘certain specifications’. I can’t imagine what kind of special requirements Lionel set up for a future Luthor bride to make sure Lex got a ‘worthy woman, while still taking macabre pleasure in making Lex’s life hell.

Heeeee, and this was probably the worst proposal ever… but it’s probably a good idea to start it off as a business deal beforehand so both of them go into this with their eyes open. Heh, it was only after they mixed ‘business with pleasure’ after all that things apparently started to get messy. LOL! I can’t wait to find out the full story on what happened to destroy this friendship between the two of them.

I looked forward to the next chapter. Please update soon.

Brilliant beginning...can't wait for more! Love the friendship between Chloe and Lex...and regardless of whats happening in the beginning with Chloe leaving i'm still hoping we get a happy ending!

-K-

I'm liking this story. Good work Lois, screwing up Chloe's job. I can't wait to read more!

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

I really like the beginning to this show. Inspired to make Chloe a bartender - i would be at that bar every night. HA! And for the proposal - OMG - I've seen Lex move quickly on relationships but this is funny.

love the idea....hate the fact that something will go wrong in the future though. I hope you will fix that as well
    other than that- MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx so much for so much for all the positive feedback everybody! I only hope that this and future chapters of the story live up to the expectations of all the fabulous people reading it

Chapter 2

Present Day - 15th December 2007

“Lex, come on” Chloe said, wriggling her arm free of his gentle grip, “You know I have to go” she reminded him, almost angry that he’d stopped her when she was almost out the door, and yet strangely pleased that he had.

“You can’t spare a minute for one last drink with your husband?” he checked, eyes boring into hers in that way that never failed to hypnotise her, and all at once Chloe found herself nodding, agreeing to his suggestion.

Of course she wasn’t so weak that she agreed to everything he ever said, but he had that way of looking at her that just made her insides melt. They argued and fought at times, indeed some of their disagreements were practically worthy of being listed as world wars and yet they were the strangest of perfect matches. Both as stubborn as each other, both as smart and resourceful too. They’d been the best of friends, and now here they stood, having passed through the stages of business partners, husband and wife, and a hundred other relationships that all ended here in this spot, at this moment. It was tangibly painful to part, and yet just as difficult to stay.

Lex knew he was being a fool to himself, encouraging Chloe to stay a moment longer than she needed to, and yet he would freely admit to being a glutton for this particular punishment. He was not one to dwell on ifs and maybes or what might’ve been as a general rule, and yet here in this moment it was all he could think about. Lex knew little of real regret but he felt it now, knew that when Chloe walked out of the mansion tonight his heart would break at the prospect of them never again being so close as they had been these past two years as husband and wife.

“One drink” she almost whispered, though the words were meant strongly, this he knew from her expression.

Lex had learnt all of Chloe’s facial expressions, body language, and tones of voice. They were all catalogued in his brain and he had learnt quite well how best to respond to each and every one, or so he thought. Just once in a while she would throw him for a loop, confuse him entirely, and honestly, Lex wouldn’t be at all stunned to realise that this was just one of the many reasons why he loved to have her around, why he was so loathe to let her leave like this. It seemed abrupt and cold, despite the fact it was all a mere business arrangement and one that had been well planned since the day they said ‘I do’.

With an unreadable expression of his own, Lex poured whiskey into two glasses and handed one to the woman who had been his wife now for two years, and yet would cease to be that just as soon as it could be arranged.

“To us?” he suggested, holding his own glass out a little for her to accept the toast with a clink.

Chloe did the opposite, pulling her glass in close to her chest and staring down at the golden liquid as it slid around inside its crystal home.

“There is no us, Lex” she said, her tone more flat than cold as her eyes shot up to meet his for just a moment and she downed her drink in one.

Two Years Earlier - 20th November 2005

“Come on, Chloe, why not?” Lex asked her as she hurried out of the park and he gave chase, “Why shouldn’t people believe there’s something between us?”

“Because there is no us, Lex” she snapped, looking back at him just briefly as she strode on through the dark, “Sure, we’re friends and that’s great, but that does not mean I’m suddenly going to marry you just because I lost my job and your father was a power-crazed asshole!” she raved as she continued walking, not sure where she was going, only that she had to get out of this insane conversation.

Lex gave chase, feeling awful that he seemed to have offended her. Usually every move he made was so well-planned, so carefully thought out. Snap decisions were for idiots, he was all about thinking ahead to the consequences, ensuring he did nothing that might bring bad results or worse abject failure. Where Chloe was concerned, he had found himself less able to make rational choices. He’d told her things in the past that he never told anyone else, and never would. Now here he was realising he had made the foolish mistake of offering this unique young woman his hand in marriage!

Of all the stupid things he could say or do, this was the icing on the cake as far as Lex was concerned. He wasn’t quite sure where the idea had come from. All of sudden it all just clicked into place in his head and the words were coming out of his mouth before his brain had really processed the sentence. Now he realised how idiotic it was to spring such a question on a woman with whom he had experienced nothing close to a romance. They were friends, best friends perhaps, though the concept would seem exceedingly odd to an outsider, he was sure. Still, the idea of them being closer, to the point of planning a wedding was ridiculous, wasn’t it?

“Chloe, I’m sorry” he said as he made a grab at her arm and spun her around to face him.

She could’ve pulled away and kept on running, but she didn’t. The little blonde knew as well as he did that he felt awful for his silly mistake. What a question to drop on a person out of the blue! It was nothing short of insane, though Chloe considered that perhaps what caused her more discomfort than the sudden proposal was the fact a part of her didn’t actually feel that weird about it. Somewhere deep within Chloe’s heart gave way at the sound of those words. Marry Lex? she couldn’t possibly, that was her over-riding reaction, and yet a little voice inside her gave an immediately positive answer to the overly sudden question. She couldn’t explain it, and right now she didn’t have time to. Lex looked so desperately sorry for his error and he had been such a great friend. She had no real reason to be mad at him, and only wanted him to know that.

“It’s okay” she sighed, “You just, you kind of surprised me” she admitted with an almost amused smile which he returned.

It was such a bizarre situation, there was little or no other reaction that was more suitable.

“Honestly, I surprised myself” Lex admitted, apparently just now noticing how he still had a hold of Chloe, and retracting his hands from her arms immediately, running a hand over his bald head, “Of all the awkward situations I’ve found myself in this might just make the Top Ten” he said, looking strangely nervous compared to his usual confidence that Chloe was so used to.

“Really? You’re lucky” she shook her head, “This doesn’t even make my Awkwardness Top 40” she told him, which was a partial lie, but at least it seemed to put him at a little more ease, “And y’know there may even have been a little logic to your madness for a second there” she admitted, knowing that a union between them would certainly make light work of fixing both their problems - his need for a wife, her need for cash.

As soon as she’d said it, Chloe started to regret the words that had escaped her lips. After practically running screaming from this man’s proposal, she was now standing here telling him it maybe wasn’t the worst idea in the world? She was insane! As insane as he was for ever suggesting it, but then, when had sanity ever done her any favours before?

“Chloe” Lex breathed her name, “I know I kind of sprung the idea on you, and like I said I surprised myself almost as much as I stunned you” he admitted, “but is it really so crazy?” he asked her, knowing it probably was and yet unable to think of a single woman on the planet he could be happier pretending to be married to.

“I... I guess its not completely crazy” Chloe admitted, feeling weird about all this.

Here was her billionaire best friend, whom she’d never once seen outside of the bar where she worked, now suddenly out here in the middle of a park, way past midnight, asking her if she’d do him a favour and be his wife for a while. In exchange she was clearly going to get paid, which on the surface came off a little on the red light side, and yet in a lot of ways it did make some sense.

She opened her mouth to speak again, just as a stranger walking a dog came by, reminding her they were in the middle of nowhere, and just about anybody could be watching them or listening to their conversation.

“Maybe we should go somewhere else to talk about this?” she suggested in a quiet voice, to which Lex responded with a single nod.

They headed off walking briskly and were soon back outside the club where Lex’s car, complete with driver, still waited. Opening the door for her like the gentleman he was, the billionaire ushered his lady friend into the back of the limousine and then joined her, immediately instructing his driver to take them home. Chloe knew that meant Lex’s much mentioned penthouse apartment and her eyes lit up at the prospect of seeing the place. She wasn’t shallow or hugely material in any way, and yet the idea of sharing in the rich and famous lifestyle that Lex had, even for just a few hours, was a pretty exciting prospect.

The car ride was mostly silent as Lex and Chloe both kept their eyes out of the side windows of the vehicle, watching the brightly lit city speed past them. When they arrived at the apartment block, the driver was despatched for the night and the unlikely couple took the longest elevator ride of the young blonde’s life up to the penthouse.

“Welcome to my humble abode” Lex joked with an appropriate smirk as they arrived at his door and he unlocked and opened it wide.

Chloe had expected something big and fancy, but this was beyond even what she of the over-vivid imagination could have conjured up.

“Oh my God” she gasped as she took in the place, “You could literally fit my entire house in this place, and still have room for an over-sized walk-in closet to spare” she said, as Lex smiled at her enthusiasm and crossed to the drinks cabinet.

“To be honest, it is ridiculously big for one person, but I suppose I’m just used to a lot of space, growing up in a mansion and everything” he explained as he turned to face Chloe, “Drink?” he asked, to which she nodded.

She knew she was going to need it if they were seriously going to talk about that question he’d asked her. Okay, so it wasn’t like a real marriage proposal, he didn’t love her or anything like that, but it was a serious proposition that she needed to get her head around, without turning into the gibbering wreck she was occasionally prone to become, whenever good looking guys asked her serious questions.

Chloe was getting a little annoyed by the high-pitched female giggling that was ringing like a bell through her head, mostly because she knew she was the person guilty of making the awful sound. She really only sounded so girly when she’d been drinking, and even then she could usually hold her own. As it was, she’d wanted to look business-like and clever in front of Lex and so for every scotch he’d poured himself she’d plumped for the same shot. Now here they were at either end of an over-sized leather couch, talking about all kinds of silly things and laughing at most of them too.

It was a little odd for Lex to realise he was actually kind of drunk. He didn’t get light-headed easily and usually took great care not to be out-of-control. As it was, he’d had rather a lot of single malt on a mostly empty stomach, and was currently finding Chloe and her infectious laughter almost as intoxicating as the beverage in his hand.

As the laughter started to die for a moment, an oddly solemn expression crossed Chloe’s face and Lex suddenly found her staring quite seriously at him, her head leaning against the couch cushions because it wasn’t quite able to stay upright on its own anymore.

“Were you serious? Like seriously serious?” she checked, hiccuping slightly and apologising immediately as she blushed.

“About the thing with the cat and the dynamite? Completely serious” Lex vowed, raising his hand in an appropriate salute as he added, “Scouts Honour”

“Like you were ever a boy scout, Mr Luthor” Chloe snorted, moving to put her empty glass down on the coffee table and doing so somewhat unsteadily before falling back into the cushions with a sigh, “And I didn’t mean that part, I meant before” she told Lex as he stared across at her, “I meant the marriage thing”

“Oh” he nodded once, releasing they’d done a truly wonderful job of avoiding the very topic they’d come here to talk about these past three hours together, “Chloe, I rarely if ever say anything I don’t mean” he told her solemnly, “but I understand that I shocked you, and it was a hell of thing to come out of nowhere but...”

“I will” she said, speaking over his words and leaving him wondering if he’d just imagined the response he thought he’d heard.

“You what?” he checked, just to be sure and she smiled as she moved along the couch, up close to him.

“I will marry you, Lex” she said with a smile, “If you still want to?”

For a moment the young Luthor lost himself in her perfect eyes as they gazed into his own. He could marry this girl, he could love her and take care of her, they could be perfect for each other, and he might just turn out to be the first in his family to get a real happily ever after. His dreams were soon shattered, and Lex came back to reality with a resounding thump, as he recalled the reasons behind his proposal to Chloe Sullivan, and the nature of their marriage, should they have one.

“I’d be honoured, Chloe” he told her too seriously, sending her into fits of giggles, presumably because she thought their play-acting was all very amusing.

“Okay, so we need a pen and... um, something to write on...” she began rambling as she pulled herself up onto unsteady feet and stumbled around the large apartment, unsuccessfully trying to locate the writing implement and paper supply she spoke of.

Almost tripping over her own purse led to Chloe deciding to search said item for what she was looking for.

“Perfect” she declared, stumbling back to the couch where Lex waited, having watched the whole scene with amusement.

“What are you doing?” he asked as Chloe concentrated hard on what she was writing.

She only shook her head and waved a hand at him in a vague gesture that meant he was to be quiet til she was done. She muttered a few words as her pencil moved quickly across the page. Lex was quite stunned by the rate at which she could do that, since her speech and co-ordination were considerably impaired. Chloe was definitely a born writer, it seemed.

“Okay, done” she declared at last, showing him her work of which she appeared to be so proud.

“We, the undersigned” Lex read, though it was a challenge since it seemed her penmanship at least was suffering the effects of the alcohol, “agree to get married so that the rich party gets richer and the poor party can afford college and other essentials in the absence of her high-paid bar job” Lex continued to read aloud, amusement filling his features, “We promise to act married in front of everyone, without exceptions, and to remain best friends behind closed doors” he smiled, glancing her way as he finished the last line, “Sounds fair” he agreed, “Though I think we’d be better off with a real agreement drawn up by lawyers”

“Whatever, Lex” Chloe rolled her eyes, “This will do for now” she said, almost tearing the paper as she grabbed it back from his hand.

With a flick of her pencil she signed her name on one of the somewhat wiggly lines she’d drawn below, then handed both pencil and paper over to Lex. In spite of the fact the document was hardly legally binding and that they were both not of sound mind anyway after so much alcohol, it wouldn’t matter whether Lex signed or not, and yet something in the back of his mind told him this was a bad plan.

It was the solution to his problem and hers, and they were promising to be best friends no matter what. All of that was good, and in his slightly inebriated state he could suddenly find no real downsides to the plan.

In a moment it was done, his fancy yet neat signature flowed across the other line next to Chloe’s own, and the deal was sealed.

To Be Continued...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information