+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NS Advent Calendar 2007 - Gifts of Meaning - Complete

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2007 - Gifts of Meaning - Updated 29 Jun 2008

Chapter Nineteen

Chloe stepped out of her father's house and pulled her coat over her new sweater. She was wearing a nice pair of black jeans and the red sweater from Lois. A necklace from her father spelled out her name against her throat. It wasn't really her style, but she would wear it when she visited. Lex's limo had pulled up outside at ten minutes before nine a.m. She got her father's blessing and left him pondering the new novels she had given him.

Lex stayed in the car and let his driver open the door for her. Wearing pajamas and a robe to pick her up was a fit of whimsy he was regretting. The car was cold, and he felt like an idiot in pajamas. They flopped where his normal clothes draped, making him feel puny.

Chloe sat down and slid along the seat, grinning. She took the two gifts the driver handed in, and thanked him. “Did you oversleep,” she asked humorously. “Up all night waiting for Santa?”

He had been up all night, fussing with decorations, eating too many candy canes and rearranging her presents under the tree. Lex had a late night ambition to string lights along the doorway, but had given up when he caught himself hoping he would fall off his chair and strangle. He had no idea how brand new light strands could be so tangled, and he only wanted to forget the whole thing. The tree was decorated and the presents were ready. He was happy to have done that much without injury.

“I thought I'd follow tradition and get right out of bed to open gifts,” he told her, cuddling her to his side. “Are those for me?”

She clutched the smaller box to her chest and nodded. “Yes, but you can only open one now. It's for the limo.”

Lex chuckled. “I had no idea you thought so highly of the limo. And here the limo didn't get you anything,” he teased.

He pulled off the paper and read the box. “Car pong. Play on the go,” he read.

Chloe ducked her head, and told him, “It's just a weird thing I saw. You attach it to the top of a chair or a car seat and you can play ping pong. It solves the problem of Mitch's lousy bluffing without forcing you to lower yourself to Go Fish.”

He had opened the box and was holding one of the paddles. “You must have played ping pong,” she said uncertainly.

“I have,” Lex assured her, and leaned in to whisper, “Mitch gets all worked up and throws his cards down. I'm wondering if I'll need spare paddles. He's a sore loser, which is odd because he's always the one who pulls out the deck of cards in a traffic jam.”

She nodded and hid the other present in her jacket. Lex gave her a soft kiss and whispered, “Is that one for the limo, too?”

Her cheeks flushed and she batted him with the belt of his robe. “I got shy. It's your present and I don't want you to make a big deal over it. So you'll get it once you don't want it anymore,” she insisted.

Lex nodded and picked up the ping pong set. He switched to the bench on the other side of the car and tapped on the divider. The driver lowered it and glanced back

“Yes, sir,” he asked.

“Mitch, Chloe solved our Texas Hold 'Em dilemma for good. Now we can play ping pong,” Lex told him proudly.

The blond rolled her eyes as the car stopped at a light and Mitch turned back eagerly. “No betting, and no fighting over points. You're both going to have to play as gentlemen.”

They didn't even look at her, but Lex mumbled something in the affirmative and Mitch said, “Of course.”
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2007 - Gifts of Meaning - Updated *twice* 29 Jun 2008

More Christmas Lex. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Although I feel bad because the influence of the Lexes Imperius is certainly showing to make you write not one, but *two* chapters of this Lex.

I decided to review this chapter first and I’ll be reviewing the next part soon. See how I have mastered chronological order? *sniff* I’m so proud.

Digging was back-breaking but straightforward, Lex discovered. It took little skill other than to ignore the discomfort in his upper body. It went faster when he tried to block out all ideas of deadlines and boredom and just did the work. He didn't do any math to tell him when he should expect to be finished. He told the kitchen staff not to bother making lunch. The bottle of water he brought out with him had long since dripped away any real coldness, but it was cooler than his skin.

The greenhouse had enclosed boxes of different shapes. The one in the centre was round and the walls were lined on two sides with semi-circular boxes. He had known for a while he wasn't capable of building anything nearly as artistic, but when he took a closer look Lex had to chuckle at his earlier misconceptions. He had been thinking in terms of nails and lining up the edges of boards. There was a whole lot going on he didn't get at all. He would have to look up whether wood could be bent or if it was carved into the identical curves of the outer boxes.
    Look at Lex getting in touch with his inner construction worker! Actually I did quite enjoy that mental picture. I think that he’s just happy here to feel validated in not doing absolutely all the work himself.

His next shovel of soil had a worm wiggling on top and he paused with morbid distaste. What were the coffee plants going to make of a worm? He personally hadn't encountered one since elementary biology class and that one was dead. Worms created tunnels that ventilated soil. Plants took in oxygen. Unless it was a grub that would gnaw on the plant. If it had teeth it was a grub, but Lex didn't know how to tell. If he waved some leaves in front of it would it try to eat them?
    LMAO It’s a good thing that Lex wasn’t recording this process for Chloe, ‘cause he’s kind of a doofus.

He hefted the shovel with one hand and took a sip of water. Environmentalists loved worms, so it was probably welcome. Also, he was fine with shoveling dirt, but didn't feel like touching anything squirmy. He dumped the shovel and kept going. Hopefully Chloe wasn't afraid of worms, too.

He paused and straightened his shoulders. He wasn't afraid, though a lot of people were. Worms were disgusting. He finished filling the box and patted the soil into smoothness, only remembering the worm was down there afterward.
    Of course you’re not afraid, Lex. (OMG, the Lexes are afraid of worms. I should never have cryogenically frozen you, nonky. Then, when we brought you back, you would have had worms and could have ruled them all!!!)

“Sorry,” he muttered. “That couldn't have felt good.”
    Okay, I think that it’s insanely cute that Lex just apologized to the worm. It’s almost a pet now. What should he name it?

He had filled the outer boxes and the middle section was empty. It seemed like he might be able to set up a ramp and dump the wheelbarrow straight in. Lex found a sturdy lid from one of the crates and propped it up with cans of lime. He stepped carefully as he tested it out, and sighed with relief when nothing broke. He had too much work to be in a cast.
    I wonder what it says about me and Lex that we’re both so genuinely happy that he found a shortcut that totally worked. lolol

Gleefully, he was able to dump the remaining soil in record time. Lex put down PH testing strips and closed up the greenhouse. He had to decorate the library and put up the tree that should have been delivered.
    Wow. I’m gonna go ahead and put that last sentence on my list of Things That Don’t Bode Well.

He looked the opponent up and down, slowly, threateningly. Lex squared his shoulders, slid his hands into his pockets as if he didn't have a care in the world, and then he turned his back.

"You're green," he said calmly. "You're green and I'm not. I'm the winner here, and you're not going to beat me. This isn't for me, this is for Chloe, and she likes-"

He whirled suddenly, charged the tree and started wrestling it upright from where it was leaning on the wall. All he had to do was get it standing and beautifully decorated.
    Holy crap!!! ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He used the lull on a tree??? *dies laughing*

You know, your Lexes are pretty much always various shades of crazy, but this one is neon pick and olive green in a paisley pattern.

"-Christmas! She likes Christmas, and I don't but I'll do this because she likes it. You're going to stand up straight, and be impressive, and then, so - am I!"
    Poor Lex; he really believes that he’ll only be impressive everything is perfect. And you know that Chloe would be just as happy with a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

He strained to hold up the tree and wondered how his request for a big Christmas tree had been interpreted as 'cut down a redwood and put it in my library.' He was excessive and even he could see it was a monster. Maybe it was a not-very-subtle hint that someone thought he was losing his grip. He would show them.
    That’s right, Lex. You prove yourself to those people…you pay?

You know Lex, I don’t want to make you feel bad, but Lionel would never feel the need to prove himself. Of course, he doesn’t have a Chloe, so carry on.

Lex gave it a shove and ran over to the other side to catch it before it could fall into his pool table. He held it upright and kicked off his shoe to tighten the bolts on the tree stand with his toes. His head and shoulders were covered in loose needles glued on with sap.

Next year I'm going artificial, he mused tiredly. Those must be so light in comparison.
    LMAO! This Lex *really* deserves his Chloe. I’m glad it won’t take him too much longer to get her.

I’m also glad because I think all of this trying new stuff is making him Lex bright than we know he can be. Why didn’t he just put a rope around the tree, tie it off so it was straight and then tighten the stand?

All I know is that Chloe had better say yes. Many times. And maybe bake him a “yes” shaped cake…well, maybe order one. Lex shouldn’t be punished for being so sweet.

Great chapter, nonky! I’m so excited for Christmas to come.

~Sarah~

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Digging was back-breaking but straightforward, Lex discovered. It took little skill other than to ignore the discomfort in his upper body. It went faster when he tried to block out all ideas of deadlines and boredom and just did the work. He didn't do any math to tell him when he should expect to be finished. He told the kitchen staff not to bother making lunch. The bottle of water he brought out with him had long since dripped away any real coldness, but it was cooler than his skin.

The greenhouse had enclosed boxes of different shapes. The one in the centre was round and the walls were lined on two sides with semi-circular boxes. He had known for a while he wasn't capable of building anything nearly as artistic, but when he took a closer look Lex had to chuckle at his earlier misconceptions. He had been thinking in terms of nails and lining up the edges of boards. There was a whole lot going on he didn't get at all. He would have to look up whether wood could be bent or if it was carved into the identical curves of the outer boxes.
    In a way, it sounds like Lex is rather enjoying his experience at being a labourer and working by using pure strength and body while shutting OFF his mind.

His next shovel of soil had a worm wiggling on top and he paused with morbid distaste. What were the coffee plants going to make of a worm? He personally hadn't encountered one since elementary biology class and that one was dead. Worms created tunnels that ventilated soil. Plants took in oxygen. Unless it was a grub that would gnaw on the plant. If it had teeth it was a grub, but Lex didn't know how to tell. If he waved some leaves in front of it would it try to eat them?
    ROTFLMAO! Shutting off his brain didn’t work too well. Now he’s gone right back to overanalyzing everything in that ridiculous, fuzzy way that has characterized ALL of his decisions ever since he made the Big Decision to propose to Chloe, LOL! Just LOOK at him trying to analyse the virtues of that one worm, ignoring the thousands of other insects, bugs and creepy crawly creatures that he CAN’T actually see, LOL!

He paused and straightened his shoulders. He wasn't afraid, though a lot of people were. Worms were disgusting. He finished filling the box and patted the soil into smoothness, only remembering the worm was down there afterward.

“Sorry,” he muttered. “That couldn't have felt good.”
    ROTFLMAO! Oh dear me! I agree with Skauble completely that he was one step away from naming the worm and declaring it to be a Luthor pet, LOL! Good thing BB-Lex wasn’t around, otherwise he would have thrown himself on the path of the shove to protect the new little squirmy buddy that has been discovered.

He looked the opponent up and down, slowly, threateningly. Lex squared his shoulders, slid his hands into his pockets as if he didn't have a care in the world, and then he turned his back.

"You're green," he said calmly. "You're green and I'm not. I'm the winner here, and you're not going to beat me. This isn't for me, this is for Chloe, and she likes-"

He whirled suddenly, charged the tree and started wrestling it upright from where it was leaning on the wall. All he had to do was get it standing and beautifully decorated.
    ROTFLMAO! Oh heavens! He’s really lost his mind! He didn’t! But he DID! He actually launched a surprise attack against the tree expecting THAT tactic to give him an advantage?! I think it’s time to break out the straightjacket from the attic. You KNOW it’s lying up there, probably recently fitted, oiled and ready for usage!

He strained to hold up the tree and wondered how his request for a big Christmas tree had been interpreted as 'cut down a redwood and put it in my library.' He was excessive and even he could see it was a monster. Maybe it was a not-very-subtle hint that someone thought he was losing his grip. He would show them.
    ROTFL! Right, Lex! Show those laughing enemies how sane you are! Put on a show of stability for ALL the people who are watching you at this very second!

Lex gave it a shove and ran over to the other side to catch it before it could fall into his pool table. He held it upright and kicked off his shoe to tighten the bolts on the tree stand with his toes. His head and shoulders were covered in loose needles glued on with sap.

Next year I'm going artificial, he mused tiredly. Those must be so light in comparison.
    OR… perhaps next year you can hire help for all the back-breaking labour projects? Even if it IS soooo much fun doing it all yourself, LOL!

He had been up all night, fussing with decorations, eating too many candy canes and rearranging her presents under the tree. Lex had a late night ambition to string lights along the doorway, but had given up when he caught himself hoping he would fall off his chair and strangle. He had no idea how brand new light strands could be so tangled, and he only wanted to forget the whole thing. The tree was decorated and the presents were ready. He was happy to have done that much without injury.
    LOL! Poor Lex! I’m beginning to think that he believes that marriage life brings an inordinate amount of suffering to a person’s life (can you blame him, he’s been trained to believe that!). So he’s trying to prepare himself for misery in all forms so that he can be ready for the challenge. If he can survive preparing the Perfect Christmas for Chloe, he can survive anything!

She clutched the smaller box to her chest and nodded. “Yes, but you can only open one now. It's for the limo.”

Lex chuckled. “I had no idea you thought so highly of the limo. And here the limo didn't get you anything,” he teased.
    LOL! the sense of humour is a good sign. Perhaps it’s not time to break out the straightjacket just yet?

“I have,” Lex assured her, and leaned in to whisper, “Mitch gets all worked up and throws his cards down. I'm wondering if I'll need spare paddles. He's a sore loser, which is odd because he's always the one who pulls out the deck of cards in a traffic jam.”
    awww, that is actually a lovely and perfect present! It’s sweet, thoughtful, considerate as WELL as useful and fun. It’s fulfils all the requirements of the perfect gift… and under twenty dollars, LOL! As far as efficiency goes, Chloe has Lex beat when it comes to gift-giving. No wonder he had to bet his hopes on sheer, gargantuan extravagance to match up to her cleverness.

Her cheeks flushed and she batted him with the belt of his robe. “I got shy. It's your present and I don't want you to make a big deal over it. So you'll get it once you don't want it anymore,” she insisted.
    ooooh, I’m intrigued! What it is? what is it?!?

The blond rolled her eyes as the car stopped at a light and Mitch turned back eagerly. “No betting, and no fighting over points. You're both going to have to play as gentlemen.”

They didn't even look at her, but Lex mumbled something in the affirmative and Mitch said, “Of course.”
    ROTFL! I bet Chloe wasn’t fooled for a minute! Let’s hope Mitch doesn’t get suckered into handing over his yearly salary to Lex. It would be just embarrassing for Lex to have a driver working under a slave contract.

I was so pleased to see an update on this fic. LOL! TWO updates no less. Awesome! I look forward to whatever the future brings for our dimwitted holiday themed couple, LOL!

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Chapter Twenty

Chloe hurried him into the house and rubbed his cold ears. “Okay, you know it's Kansas out there, right? If you don't want a knitted cap you're going to have to at least wear a coat with a collar you can turn up.”

Lex shivered and kicked snow off his completely inadequate slippers. The pajama thing had been a cute idea that was never to be repeated. He was glad Chloe didn't take him up on it. He took her hand and led her to the stairs, and up to his library. The double doors were shut so she could be surprised when they entered. She was still holding the mysterious second gift and he made a playful grab at it.

“No! I think you'll hate it, now,” she protested. “And compared to the awesome gifts you always buy I'm sure it will look like crap.”

He stopped and looked at her kindly. “You know that's not true. Your presents are wonderful,” he said, giving the package a little squeeze. “It feels like a book. I never have time to shop for new books. Can I please open it?”

Her golden head ducked bashfully and she let him take it from her. He unfolded the purple wrapping paper carefully and stuck the purple bow to his robe like a boutoniere.

“Hmm, I sense a theme. Purple for your lover's frequent bruises?”

Chloe pursed her mouth. “Purple for my favourite Luthor,” she corrected. “Stop stalling.”

He lowered the gift and leaned on the wall casually, faking a yawn. “So now you're in a hurry. You're going to rush me through opening my present and ruin the wonderful memories I could be saving of every precious moment,” he asked wryly. “How unkind.”

She frowned and tried to grab it back. “Too much pressure! It's not that great. You can open it when you're expecting absolutely nothing good.”

Lex ripped the paper and let it drop to the floor. “Oops,” he deadpanned.

He turned the book over and read the back with interest, reaching out a hand for Chloe to hold as she fidgeted. When he flipped open the velvet case she nearly jumped. Lex read the certificate and traced the small metal coin with a fingertip. “I love it, Chloe. Thank you. Come here.”

She cuddled to his chest and met his soft kiss with a hint of embarrassment. Lex kissed her pink cheeks and quirked an eyebrow. “I'm going to make the limo so jealous when it sees this.”

Chloe giggled and looked at the ceiling awkwardly. “Yeah, yeah, and I don't have a present yet,” she told him. “There's no hint of holiday stuff either. I feel misled.”

He glanced at the doors and shrugged. “It's been pointed out to me that I have no sense of proportion. I know I went crazy, so we don't have to make big deal about it. We can just nod and humour me, okay?”

She nodded, but the dubious look on her face made him pause. He hoped she liked the library and it looked like his memories of Christmas. It would be a bad day for a psych evaluation considering his quaking stomach and pre-proposal jitters. He opened the doors anyway and stood back so she could take in the room.

Chloe stared at the massive tree in front of the windows, glittering evenly with decorations up to the angel at the top. The small lights flickered in complicated patterns and she blinked rapidly. Garland surrounded the windows and electric candles sat on the sills. The fireplace was roaring and more garland followed a line around the room. Poinsettias sat on the piano and red bows decorated the legs of the pool table. Even Lex's desk had an artistic pile of small gifts on one corner.

Lex went to the coffee table and poured her a cup, watching her look around. He smiled as she took in the volume of presents under the tree and turned to glare his way.
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

You actually update wow. I don't like the glare that she gives him. Oh boy.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Chapter Twenty-One

“LEX! You spent too much money! Some of these had better be for disadvantaged children,” she chided him.

He gave her the coffee and went over to the desk to pick up a certificate recognizing his donation to a toy drive. She rolled her eyes and huffed before taking a massive swig of her beverage. “Mmm, Hawaiian. You know I'm going to take forever to open all these.”

He nodded easily, and took two pillows to throw down next to her monutain of unwrapping. “Get going, then.”

Chloe grinned broadly and put her coffee safely out of the way. Lex grabbed the wastepaper basket and put it behind his back as he sat next to her. “While you're unwrapping these, appreciate all my tidy efforts. Mrs. Grimaldi made me learn origami to wrap some of these. She rapped my knuckles when I did something wrong,” Lex said sadly. “She's an unkind woman.”

She picked up a box and peeled off paper with a roll of her eyes.

“If you hire the nice ones they fall in love with you. Your knuckles are tough, and Mrs. Grimaldi would be able to take down assassins,” Chloe replied. “That's much more important for you than how nice she is to you.”

He sat back and watched her strip the cellophane off a box of chocolates she'd just unwrapped. He took one when she extended it to his mouth and grimaced as she swirled hers in her coffee. “They're already coffee filled,” Lex pointed out.

She ate it and smiled with a smear of chocolate on her upper lip. He got it with his thumb.

“Not your first chocolate of the day, is it?”

Chloe shook her head, threw the ball of wrapping paper at him and kept digging around for the oddest shaped presents. She came up with a tiny object in a tall plume of paper, and unraveled it to find a nail polish bottle. She unwrapped funny socks, tiny sculptures, a new watch, a pair of knee high leather boots and a matching coat in a green to offset her eyes. Lex dutifully gathered up the trash and took it out of her way as she went for new presents.

“You bought too much stuff,” she said periodically, muffled by a mouthful of chocolate covered strawberry or a candy cane. Her coffee became a place to park her candy when she needed two hands. Her face glowed with combined excitement and hyperactivity

Lex pointed to her bookshelf and she ran over to rip off the Christmas paper, running back promptly to hug him. She opened the luggage set he had made with her initials and didn't even notice they were C.S.L. And she opened every bag of notebooks and case of pens with glee, which Lex reminded himself to tell Mrs. Grimaldi later.

As he anticipated, Chloe gave the tiny things as much enthusiasm as the big ones. She spent ten minutes playing with a keychain with laser cut trenches of a maze and a tiny bead to guide through them. She stopped to do a sudoku puzzle and took her green silk pajamas to the bathroom to change into them. When she came back she sat on his lap on the sofa.

“I really like everything, but I was serious about this being too much,” Chloe told him. “This took way too much time for you and all your elves.”

He shifted and stroked her cheek. “I did all the shopping. I found the stuff and went to get it. Three different European countries for the books and I looked for other things to pick up while I was there. I went to the mall, alone.”

Her eyes widened and she moved off his lap. “I don't understand, Lex. I thought you were traveling for work and you were shopping?”

“I wanted you to know that I'm willing and capable of taking care of you even without my employees. I'm never going to push off being there for you on someone I'm paying,” Lex told her gently. “And if you'll marry me I won't forget that.”

And she ran.

No, no running away, not after everything Lex has done to make it the perfect Christmas. I know Chloe is probably totally blindsided after thinking they were breaking up but I want her to come back quickly so they can get back to having a perfect hoiday and being engaged.

It was well worth the wait to be getting all these updates at once, it's very appropriately like Christmas come early. I can't wait for the last few chapters and a hopefully happy Chlex.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

NOOOO!! Why did she run? I want more please....
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Chloe hurried him into the house and rubbed his cold ears. “Okay, you know it's Kansas out there, right? If you don't want a knitted cap you're going to have to at least wear a coat with a collar you can turn up.”
    LOL! I think it’s beyond a Luthor pride to accept wearing a knitted cap… he’d sooner surrender his ears to frostbite. But the idea of a turned up collar sounds good. In a pinch, it can even look ‘sinisterly cool’ enough for a Luthor to tolerate.

“No! I think you'll hate it, now,” she protested. “And compared to the awesome gifts you always buy I'm sure it will look like crap.”
    awww, Chloe’s being shy about her present. Don’t worry, Chloe! It truly doesn’t matter what you give to Lex, because he’ll genuinely adore anything that has been given to him by his beloved Chloe Sullivan. Just the fact that SHE chose it especially for him is enough to guarantee he’ll love it.

“Hmm, I sense a theme. Purple for your lover's frequent bruises?”

Chloe pursed her mouth. “Purple for my favourite Luthor,” she corrected. “Stop stalling.”

He lowered the gift and leaned on the wall casually, faking a yawn. “So now you're in a hurry. You're going to rush me through opening my present and ruin the wonderful memories I could be saving of every precious moment,” he asked wryly. “How unkind.”

She frowned and tried to grab it back. “Too much pressure! It's not that great. You can open it when you're expecting absolutely nothing good.”

Lex ripped the paper and let it drop to the floor. “Oops,” he deadpanned.
    ROTFLMAO! They really are so cute! And I love scenes where LEX is the one teasing and playing around while Chloe gets embarrassed. It’s such a rare occurrence, and it’s always a lot of fun to watch, LOL!

He turned the book over and read the back with interest, reaching out a hand for Chloe to hold as she fidgeted. When he flipped open the velvet case she nearly jumped. Lex read the certificate and traced the small metal coin with a fingertip. “I love it, Chloe. Thank you. Come here.”
    awwww, I forgot about that coin! I remember how she spent so much time agonizing over it while trying to find it and then waiting to give it to him. LOL! and even then she kept on worrying about whether or not he’s going to like it. It seems like gift-exchanges are a stressful time for BOTH members of the Chlex couple… they really won’t be able to survive many more Christmases together at this rate.

She cuddled to his chest and met his soft kiss with a hint of embarrassment. Lex kissed her pink cheeks and quirked an eyebrow. “I'm going to make the limo so jealous when it sees this.”
    ROTFL! You screwball nut!

He glanced at the doors and shrugged. “It's been pointed out to me that I have no sense of proportion. I know I went crazy, so we don't have to make big deal about it. We can just nod and humour me, okay?”
    ROTFLMAO! Well at least he gave her some warning beforehand. That was very considerate, thoughtful as well as wise of him, LOL!

Lex went to the coffee table and poured her a cup, watching her look around. He smiled as she took in the volume of presents under the tree and turned to glare his way.

“LEX! You spent too much money! Some of these had better be for disadvantaged children,” she chided him.

He gave her the coffee and went over to the desk to pick up a certificate recognizing his donation to a toy drive. She rolled her eyes and huffed before taking a massive swig of her beverage. “Mmm, Hawaiian. You know I'm going to take forever to open all these.”
    It was hilarious reading about ALL the sights that greeted Chloe’s eyes when she entered the room. It must have been particularly disconcerting to go from the ‘Christmas-bare’ halls of the mansion into the North Pole explosion in the library.

ROTFL! I loved that Chloe took one look at the mountain of presents lying waiting all for herHerHER… and she actually glared at Lex for his insane extravagance. LOL! Well, he DID warn her that he went a little overboard, didn’t he?

LOL! And then, when she scolded him that she might have preferred it if he had donated money to charity on her behalf instead of spoiling her with a shower of presents, he showed her a certificate proving that he HAS made significant ‘Christmasy’ donations this year. LOL! he predicted how she was going to react, what she line of attack she was going to choose, and he created a special defence for it beforehand, ROTFLMAO!

“If you hire the nice ones they fall in love with you. Your knuckles are tough, and Mrs. Grimaldi would be able to take down assassins,” Chloe replied. “That's much more important for you than how nice she is to you.”
    LOL! I see what Lex was talking about when referring his ‘purple bruises’ earlier. Chloe has no sympathy for her beloved, LOL! tsk, tsk… poor woobie Lexie! ROTFL!

He sat back and watched her strip the cellophane off a box of chocolates she'd just unwrapped. He took one when she extended it to his mouth and grimaced as she swirled hers in her coffee. “They're already coffee filled,” Lex pointed out.
    Perhaps she’s just giving her coffee a chocolate flavouring rather than the other way around? Mocha everywhere!

“You bought too much stuff,” she said periodically, muffled by a mouthful of chocolate covered strawberry or a candy cane. Her coffee became a place to park her candy when she needed two hands. Her face glowed with combined excitement and hyperactivity

Lex pointed to her bookshelf and she ran over to rip off the Christmas paper, running back promptly to hug him. She opened the luggage set he had made with her initials and didn't even notice they were C.S.L. And she opened every bag of notebooks and case of pens with glee, which Lex reminded himself to tell Mrs. Grimaldi later.

As he anticipated, Chloe gave the tiny things as much enthusiasm as the big ones. She spent ten minutes playing with a keychain with laser cut trenches of a maze and a tiny bead to guide through them. She stopped to do a sudoku puzzle and took her green silk pajamas to the bathroom to change into them. When she came back she sat on his lap on the sofa.
    Awww, it was so sweet and so much FUN seeing the delighted pleasure Chloe was taking in all of her presents. She might have complained that it was ‘too much’, but it was great to see that she wasn’t allowing Lex’x extravagance get in the way of her enjoyment. LOL! I loved the idea of her taking time to coo over every single present, making every single one feel ‘special’. LOL! It wouldn’t have been nice to have made the shampoo bottles feel ‘hurt’ for not getting as much attention as the chocolates. After all, it’s not IT’S fault that it doesn’t contain addictive endorphins within.

“I really like everything, but I was serious about this being too much,” Chloe told him. “This took way too much time for you and all your elves.”
    Oh my, Chloe has not even yet realized the FULL extent of the obsessive trouble, time and expense that Lex went through to secure her presents. She has assumed (naturally, because the alternative might be true but it’s insane) that Lex only made a list of the items and sent his assistants on multiple shopping expeditions throughout the whole of December. LOL! She’s about to find out the true depths of insanity that Lex descended to secure this ‘perfect Christmas Experience’ for her, LOL!

“I wanted you to know that I'm willing and capable of taking care of you even without my employees. I'm never going to push off being there for you on someone I'm paying,” Lex told her gently. “And if you'll marry me I won't forget that.”

And she ran.
    She ran? She ran off?!?? Chloe, Lex was acting insane when he was ‘fairly certain’ that he was going to receive a yes on his marriage proporsal… what kind of craziness is he going to get into when his beloved runs out of the room?

Erm… perhaps she went to inform everyone about her engagement? Yeah! That’s it! She just couldn’t WAIT to tell everyone that she’s about to become Mrs. Sullivan-Luthor. She was so enthusiastic that she forgot to actually accept… See! Perfectly logical explanation!

(erm… or Chloe finally acknowledged that she’s involved with a crazy-man, and she should get out while the getting out is good?)

*points handgun* QUIET, you!

(sorry)

LOL! This was a fun couple of chapters, Nonky! I look forward to the next instalments, Good luck!

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2007 - Gifts of Meaning - Completed

Chapter Twenty-Two

Chloe was furious with him. Furious. She was more likely to strangle the life out of him than marry him. He was the biggest jerk- the most selfish loser-a childish, pathetic, sniveling excuse for a man. Marrying his spoiled, jerkwad sourpuss was only going to encourage him to be worse than ever.

She went as far as the nearest guest room and locked herself in the bathroom. As she ran cold water on a face cloth, she stared herself down in the mirror.

You won't cry over this. You will not cry. You have to think of a way out of here and you were so stupid to put on pajamas and let your guard down, so this is your fault. Do. Not. Cry.

She turned around and jammed the cloth over her eyes just in time to tell herself she wasn't. He had left her for most of a month, with little in the way of explanation or contact. He let her suffer endless nights of waiting for the breakup that didn't happen. He let her hang on a thread until he was ready, then he just showed up in her bed.

And he asked her to marry him very, very sweetly, at a time when he knew she was sappy. He softened her up expertly and used the moment to sweep her into a proposal. It wasn't fair. She was always reasonable with him. She told him where she was if he asked. She told him when she would be absent and why. She told him her troubles and her thoughts and if she was going to toss him into turmoil she would give him some warning.

You didn't just pop the question! You let it out as a hypothetical, and tested the water. You gave the other person a chance to tell you to cool it. You didn't just blurt it romantically in front of the fireplace like some big, arrogant billionaire reformed playboy.

Saying 'no' would kill them. Chloe didn't think it had crossed Lex's mind that she might not jump at the chance. He was arrogant but he had gone through the proposals before. He had LOTS of practice. Naturally, he expected her to say 'yes' like everyone else. And when she didn't he would be wounded.

At least he didn't have a ring hidden in his hand all ready to slap it on her and call it a done deal. She was grateful for that. Her ringless hands were shaking badly enough. Chloe took a deep breath and let it out, slowly turning back to the mirror. She inched the face cloth down and looked at herself grimly.

“You have to tell him one way or the other,” she whispered hoarsely. “You have to go back and apologize for being a drama queen – even if he is a bigger drama queen. He doesn't know that about himself, so today is probably not the day to bring it up. Ohhhh, I have to ask for a ride home. And I have to ruin his Christmas.”

It felt worse to know that Lex wouldn't be mean or even impolite at her refusal. He would say he understood and there were no hard feelings. They could keep going as if nothing had happened, but she knew they would both be miserable.

It was the kind of thing that really sad love songs were written about. She didn't want to be a sad love song, and maybe he wasn't that arrogant. He never complained about her busy schedule. He never put pressure on her to be classy or dressed up and go with him to his company parties. He didn't really ask for much of her attention. And he was a really good boyfriend.

The white face in the mirror flushed, and she nodded slowly to herself. Chloe wiped her face once more and left the bathroom to make the long walk back.

Chapter Twenty-Three

Lex didn't have an action planned for after the proposal. He had expected to be wrapped up in emotion, which he was, though not the cold shock of rejection he was feeling. He had moved only enough to lie down flat with his arm over his eyes, scrubbing his sleeve back and forth. He wasn't crying; he had to work very hard before he could cry and release the pent up emotions. He was trying to rub out the part of his memory that included Chloe literally running from his love.

He and Gabe had talked about the risk of this, but Lex had thought she would burst into babbling and let him calm her down. He had a list of reasons why they should get married. He had a lot to say about any misgivings. He was fine with a long engagement. He really didn't have a lot of demands that she could deny.

His timing was so utterly wrong, and he didn't understand how he was so blind after so many women. Chloe was young and ambitious. She knew the downside of marrying him. She was too smart not to get the strings attached by his father, his job and his public persona. Much to his grief, Lex couldn't cut those strings for his own sake. Mrs. Lex Luthor was stalked by violent freaks and paparazzi alike. She was the subject of smear campaigns and kidnapping attempts. She was universally assumed to be a gold digger.

He groaned softly, realizing the large pile of gifts had only rubbed it in for her. He had done everything wrong and he deserved to be in pain.

Chloe padded timidly into the library and shut the door. She wiped her eyes a final time. He was flat on the sofa and she fought a pang of guilt. She didn't know if he wanted to be alone. He hadn't said so, and she had to answer him.

She stepped around the piles of wrapping paper and up to the edge of the sofa. He didn't look at her, but his stillness told her Lex knew she was there. She put her knee next to his leg and lay down on top of him. Their matching silk pajamas nearly made her slip off. Lex put a hand lightly on her waist and she snuggled in with a deep sigh.

“I'm sorry. I wasn't expecting that,” she told him. “After not seeing you most of the month I thought you'd dump me. I got angry when I found out you were off buying presents instead of doing business. I couldn't believe you took a month off and spent virtually none of it with me.”

“I would rather have had the time with you instead of all these things. And I would have liked to have some discussion about getting married before you made it all official and stuff.”

She patted over his heart and he sucked in a hopeful breath. She didn't sound angry or insulted. She didn't even sound depressed. He was about to launch into his routine of calming her worries, when she sighed again. “Yes.”

His arm slid off his eyes and toward the floor, boneless. Lex tilted his chin down and looked at Chloe's bowed head with disbelief. “Yes,” he asked. “After everything else, that's all you have to say?”

Chloe reached down and brought his arm up, putting it neatly behind her back so he was hugging her.

“I've decided to have a quiet freak out. There are high-pitched shrieks dying to get out, but I'll hold them until I get on the phone with my girlfriends. I'm going to pretend I'm all mellow like you.”

He was anything but mellow. He might actually have been calmer before she came back into the room.

“You can put your hand on my butt if you want,” Chloe told him. He did and it helped considerably.

“Thank you, Chloe,” he said softly. “I'm glad the coffee greenhouse won't have to be filled with concrete or something drastic. I'd do badly with a cement mixer.”

She popped up and looked down on him with pure glee. “I want to see my coffee greenhouse. Hurry up!”

Lex let her wrestle him off the sofa and into warm clothes. They returned from the lengthy tour with cold hands and feet, and Chloe pulled him down to the rug. “That stupid fire finally does something useful,” she said, wiggling her toes toward the grate.

He leaned back and curled around her body, pulling her into his lap. “I have a ring around here somewhere. I wrapped it though. You'll have to open the rest of the presents to find it,” he told her.

She shook her head. “I think I need a nap first. I'm on a sugar rush and engagement high. Bling might give me the giggles for the rest of the day.”

“Chloe?” He rubbed his cold nose on her golden hair.

“Yeah?”

“Don't say 'bling,'” he requested, sending her into the threatened giggling.

THE END

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information