• Stop now! Your cliffhangers scare me!

0 0%
  • Bring it ON! Go out with a bang, Ava!

8 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreaming the Wolf, R, 10-23-09, Chapter 23 and Epilogue

Re: Dreaming the Wolf, PG-13, 12-06-07, Chapter 4

Ooo, fantastic chapter. I'm so glad Clark and Lois are now on Chloe's side. And Kale seems like a nasty piece of work.

Hey! What's up with Lex trying to kill Chloe? Bad Lex!

Also? Clark or Lois should either take pictures of Wolf!Chloe or video tape her so she can see herself.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was an awesome update!

Life couldn’t get any better than at that moment. She wasn’t alone any more. There were still problems to face, issues to deal with, and things to discuss, but not right now. Right now, Chloe was going to bask in the glow of knowing she had Lois and Clark on her side.
    I love that Clark and Lois are on Chloe's side and are going to help her--good for him.

And that Kale guy wants to hunt Chloe?! Is that what this whole project is for? And is it Lionel Luthor who is behind it all?

I am enjoying this story a great deal
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Oh my, what a powerful update. I feel so bad for Chloe her world has been turned upside down. Your scene with her and Clark was wonderful. Dagney

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Great update but what has Lex done. He is going to cause the death of Chloe.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Excellent update. My god, I love this story!

I love that Lois and Clark both know and still will stand by Chloe no matter what. Clark telling Chloe that she was beautiful when in wolf form was lovely, I'm happy he accepts her. Both scenes were wonderful! I love how you described Chloe's change from human to wolf and back, really well written!

Kale is a really intresting character, I look forward to reading more about him and about his boss. I still don't know who's behind everything, but I can't wait to find out.

Please update again soon. This fic kicks a**!!!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself (for God did not need to create). It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.”
    C.S. Lewis
    I loved this quote, and it set the theme for this chapter very nicely too. Nice choice, Ava

She noticed certain words had tonal shifts that had betrayed his interest. From there, Chloe made improvements and dramatically built on what was suggested. When Chloe sat to think on it more, she realized that she could recall specific details that hadn’t even occurred to her before. It was like everything that her subconscious mind took notice of and her conscious mind discarded as too much were given a new weight. It elevated her writing to a whole new level. Her immediate boss at the Daily Planet had noticed the improved quality of her work. She felt confident that she had a secured a post graduation position.
    Wow! I really enjoyed hearing about this new and fascinating feature of Chloe’s ‘mutant power’. I remember reading a short story by Isaac Asimov once which was all about a guy who had taken some kind of a chemical that allowed him ‘perfect recall’ as well. It benefited him in many of the same ways like it does for Chloe… complete and total recall allowed the man to sift and analyze through his memories in a more objective, carefully controlled way. This analysis allowed him to take a better look at all the information that he had gathered, which included not only perfect recall of words, but also perfect recall of body gestures, vocal tones and the like.

One the things he did was sift by all the ‘gossip’ that he had been privy to over the course of his life, and he was able to put together enough data to sort out a clear picture on what kind of horrible dirty laundry everyone (his work colleagues) had hiding in their closets. Having done that, he started blackmailing and pressuring everyone to increase his own financial and social status.

Heh, the point of the story was that ‘perfect recall’ was a pretty new toy to play with, which enabled him to use more of his brain, but did NOT make him more intelligent. His fiancé managed to rescue him from being killed by a number of people he was blackmailing, and told him that as the ‘smarter one in their partnership’ SHE should be placed in charge of his life and decisions. He very humbly agreed to her assessment of both their strengths, and the story leaves off with the both of them confident about world domination within a year’s time.

LOL! I really don’t think Chloe is going to do anything stupid with her new gifts like the man in the story. She has enough intelligence to know when to practice discretion, and when to launch a frontal attack, and the ‘total recall’ gift is something that’s going to be used most wisely by her.

This was a BEAUTIFUL and brilliant addiction to Chloe’s array of gifts, and I am very pleased to see how it was described in this fic (in a very real and plausible way). I especially loved how this new feature allowed her to see her status as a were-wolf as a gift rather than a curse. Beautifully done, Ava! Excellent transition and shifting of Chloe’s perception of her new mutant abilities.

Chloe also came to the conclusion that she couldn’t keep Clark at a distance anymore. It was hurting him and it was also hurting her. Clark had been a fixture in her life for so long and it was hard to imagine him not being there. He came through when it counted, when it mattered, and she had come to terms with that. The wolf stripped away all pretenses and delusions she may have had. She was finally able to see that she and Clark would never have worked before. It was one of the hardest realizations in her life but a necessary one. Chloe had to find some way to make him fit. It was going to be hard, painful, and no doubt inspire a rage in her like none before but she had to make him fit.
    I was really very happy about this decision. I thought it was a shame that Chloe was allowing her fear of Clark’s ‘strangeness’ overcome her sense of friendship, trust and camaraderie with him. But it seems like Chloe is willing to confront her fears, wrestle with her wolfy instincts and force Clark into her life, no matter how much the wolf inside complains. Own the wolf, Chloe! LOL!

It was also wonderful that Chloe has finally, FINALLY let go of the vestige of hope of getting together with Clark. There were times when I was seriously angry with her for hanging onto carrying a torch for a guy who has rejected her time and again. NOW she can have a real and honest friendship with him where she doesn’t expect anything more than friendship, and where Clark will no longer be able to take advantage of any lingering feelings of infatuation for himself in her.

Chloe decided that she would voluntarily change. She wouldn’t wait until her dreams got bad or she got irritable. She’d do it now and hope that this time would be different. In any way it didn’t matter. She just needed to know that it wouldn’t always be as it has been. So around 10PM, Chloe got into her car and drove to the outskirts of Smallville where there was nothing and nobody to bother her. She parked her car in an abandoned barn and ran until she was about a mile away until she found a small burrow that could fit her clothes. Chloe felt the change overtake her and she was the wolf. She wasn’t hunting this time. She only wanted to feel her heart race and her muscles tense and relax. She didn’t want to remember a time when she wasn’t the wolf. A time when she was just Chloe. She wanted the world to fall away because it was scary and complicated. For a moment in time, she wanted to feel free of any burden that she might’ve carried. And she could feel that way as she ran. “This must be what sprinters feel like.”
    I really enjoy seeing how Chloe’s wolfy instincts come out to affects her day to day life… such as marking off all her possessions every day to refresh them with her scent. That was very interesting. Hmmm, I wonder how she’ll feel about marking her possessions once she gets herself a mate (Lex Luthor of course… cause this IS a Chlex fic after all, LOL)… oooh, and how about marking and refreshing the scent on her mate on a regular basis? ROTFL!

I also enjoyed how she ‘chose’ to indulge her inner wolf tonight. She’s finally becoming more accepting of that part of herself… which will go a long way towards helping her learn how to adjust to her new condition and fit it into a semi-normal routine. I also loved the description of her ‘freedom’ on being a wolf. It sounded exhilarating and magnificent, and I can imagine she could learn to get used to this very easily… once she has her wolf under control.

This sense of freedom caused Chloe to ignore all else. To ignore the fact that she was fast approaching farmland and the associated livestock. She never heard the gun cock, the inhalation of breath, or the pull of the trigger. Chloe did, however, feel the brutal sting of buckshot as it pierced her side. She flew five feet from the impact. Chloe was dazed and in pain, but she couldn’t really feel angry at a farmer protecting what was his from a feral dog. “Son of a bitch this hurts!” Chloe was amazed that she had a coherent thought in her head. A low keening made its way from her throat. She hurt so much.
    Damn! OUCH! Poor Chloe! I knew that Chloe was going to be facing problems from being a were-wolf… Lots of people would love to catch one and experiment… or train them to work as slaves/soldiers. But I never figured on the inherent dangers in being mistaken for a real wolf. Dear heaven, so THIS is how she ended up bloody and injured in front of Clark.

Chloe was partially brought to reality when she heard the light foot falls of the one who shot her. She also heard the heavier tread of a second person. “Two? Both Male. No doubt coming to finish the job.” No matter how much Chloe realized that they were just protecting what was theirs, she wanted to live. To survive. As soon as the male with the heavy feet got close enough, she lashed out. Quick and forcefully. Chloe latched onto his arm and felt the bones break and tasted the blood that gushed into her mouth. He screamed and tried to tear his arm from her mouth. It only served to injure him further. “Triumph.”

She heard the second male draw back a gun except it sounded different from the shotgun he had previously used. Still attached to the male’s arm, she launched herself into his body and used him as a shield. She needed to cause confusion and succeeded. The ensuing scuffle prevented another bullet, but she was getting weaker. Chloe swiftly let go of the male and tackled the other. As soon as he was on the ground, she made a run for it. Chloe had never run so fast, so frantically before. This was desperation born from the need to survive. And she would survive. In the truest sense of the words, failure was not an option. She felt vaguely sorry that she had hurt the male so badly, but that was pushed aside. Right now there was only her life to consider. Only her pain and desires mattered. Nothing would get in the way of that.
    Beautiful! I’ve never written a fight scene before, but I imagine it would be difficult keeping track of all the actions, describing all the complicated moves and still keep it fast-paced and exciting. This was wonderfully handled, thrilling and exciting, Ava! You did a stunning job in conveying all the action across. I loved how Chloe still managed to hang onto her sense of self ‘just’ enough to feel bad about injuring the man, AND perhaps keeping herself controlled enough to NOT kill him in self-defense. This is proof that she’s getting a hold of the wolf, even under life and death situations. How wonderful and heartening!

Chloe was relieved that she had been able to stay conscious long enough to get to Clark’s. For the first time in a long time, she didn’t feel the dissonance in Clark. She didn’t want to run. The wolf actually seemed to want to be around Clark. “He’s strong enough to keep me safe.” It almost seemed to Chloe that Clark’s alien nature was being pushed aside by the need to survive. “Because nothing brings people closer together than possible impending death.”
    Brilliant! I loved how Chloe’s inner-wolf had a kind of epiphany about Clark which resulted in a complete change of perception. Clark’s status was changed from being ‘threat of unknown origins and immense power’ to ‘protector with immense strength’. Beautifully done! LOL! And I loved Chloe’s snark coming through, even in a moment as serious as this, ROTFL!

If Clark had been panicked before, he was down-right terrified now. Her eyes fluttered closed. Clark gingerly moved her to the barn’s couch. He trained every sense on her. He was able to discern the pattern of the shot. It looked like she was hit with buckshot. Her heart beat was strong, her pulse steady and her breathing was pretty even. She wasn’t in danger of dying so he decided to not take her to the hospital. Clark went to the house and retrieved the first aid kit. He carefully removed her shirt and set about cleaning and bandaging her wounds. If he wasn’t so afraid for her, then he knew that he would’ve been far too self-conscious, but Chloe was hurt and he had to push aside his own concerns. He had to be strong for her. As soon as she woke up, he was going to wring the answers out of her if he had to.
    I’m actually proud of Clark over here… He took Chloe’s wishes to heart, and respected her decision to not go to a hospital despite how common sense might dictate otherwise. Clark’s doing a good job taking care of her., and he’s proving his worth as a good and loyal friend. YAY Clark, LOL!

Clark stayed awake all night staring at his best friend. The girl who loved him. He would’ve slept on the floor next to the couch because he was confident in his ability to hear her distress if things turned bad but something stopped him. When he had finished cleaning and bandaging her wounds, he finally saw why Chloe couldn’t go to a hospital. Why she had been shot. He saw her hands. They were clawed. Thick, wiry hair trailed down her arms and back. Her face was angular and if he had been forced to define it, he would’ve said she had something of a muzzle. “It’s not possible.” As he watched, her face reverted to *her* face, the thick hair that wasn’t her own fell away like she was shedding and her claws receded. She was Chloe again. “Can’t be possible. How could meteor rocks do this?”
    ROTFLMAO! Looks like Chloe’s secret is out in the open now. Clark is understandably freaked, but he’s handling it much better than I would have given him credit for. I really like how your Clark is showing signs of maturity that is still beyond SV-Clark’s grasp.

Despite the fact that he knew it was a distinct possibility, it still disconcerted him. He would never wish it on anyone. The familiar feeling of guilt threatened to overtake him but his guilt wouldn’t help Chloe. Chloe wouldn’t appreciate it either. She’d be the first to tell him that it wasn’t his fault and even if it was he could only move forward and try to make it better. Chloe’s renewed acceptance and faith in him after the red K bender hammered home how much she cared. She didn’t ignore it. She didn’t excuse him. She made him own it and remember it always. Clark realized that the constant reminder made it possible for him to have a stark contrast between what he wanted to be and what he could be if he let selfishness guide him. He couldn’t forget that his abilities could devastate the lives of many on a vast scale.
    This was lovely! I really liked seeing how much Clark appreciated Chloe, and how she’s a role-model as well as a source of constant loyal support to him. She’s his hero, LOL!

Chloe didn’t know how to even begin this conversation. She was pushing against the same wall that she had with Lois and she was nowhere near strong enough. She met his gaze for a few moments trying to think of a way to start this and have it make sense. The longer the stare went on the antsier Chloe became. The feeling of Clark being an alien seemed to be coming to the fore again. Chloe tried to resist panicking and remind herself that Clark had helped her, but it wasn’t working. That is, it wasn’t working until Clark stopped returning her gaze. “Pack.” She felt safe with him again and Chloe had an epiphany. “I am a wolf. He kept staring into my eyes. Challenging me.” Clark, whether he knew it or not, had conceded alpha status to her. Chloe suddenly recalled that Lana had done that too earlier that day. “But why? It makes no sense.”

Chloe didn’t care about starting the conversation she needed to have with him. She needed to know why, “Clark, why’d you drop your eyes?”

“What does that—“

Chloe interrupted him, “Answer the question. I’ll explain…just answer. Please.”

Clark took a moment and he looked away from her again before he finally answered, “My eyes started to hurt and all I could think about was looking anywhere but at you.”
    Oooh, interesting! This also explains that weird thing that Lois noticed the other day where Chloe seemed to relax after Lana has lowered her eyes at the Talon. AND it’s also interesting that Chloe’s powers include forcing her ‘opponents’ and challengers to lower their gaze, even if they don’t fully realize what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. Heh, and it’s highly plausible that Clark would lower his gaze, because (in all versions of Clark Kent, comics, SV, fanfic, etc) I always got the impression that Clark was a submissive kind of personality who would always defer to a higher authority. Classic Clark was always Lois Lane’s whipped boy-toy (even after they got married)… the submissive to her dominant. And SV-Clark always submitted to the authority represented by others whether it was Martha, Lex, Lana, Chloe… EVERYONE!

LOL! It’s rather ironic considering that he’s the most powerful being in the universe, but he desperately seems to ‘need’ someone to take charge of his life. Hmm, perhaps it stems from his own fear of his powers and what he’s capable of doing with them?

It’s going to be SO interesting to see what happens when Chloe comes across Lex. HE is as dominant a personality as her, and he’s not going to submit easily when she turns her unnerving gaze on him. I hope she doesn’t maul him (too much), when he refuses to back down from his challenging ‘looking at her straight in the eyes’ position, LOL!

“Clark, this is no different than your own situation! At any moment you could be confronted with red meteor rocks. It’s everywhere and they’re pretty. Despite this, Clark, I trust you,” Chloe eyes never left Clark’s. He felt the inexplicable need to look away from her again.

Chloe visibly relaxed but she had to continue, “Clark, since I’ve known about what you are I have never asked anything of you. Nothing that you couldn’t do. You’ve always been free to be whatever around me. This...this one time I am asking you to just be my friend. To just listen to me. I’m asking you not to be a man who has amazing abilities. I don’t need a savior. I need my friend. Be this for me. Please.”

Clark knew she was right, but it didn’t make it easier. It certainly didn’t comfort him. He also realized that he had just made it about himself.
    That was a lovely, direct eloquent speech from Chloe, and I am so proud of her for speaking out about what SHE needs. I always found it frustrating whenever Chloe buried her own needs deep down to accommodate others, even when they were being unbelievably selfish and whiney. But now, she’s finally stating what she wants and needs… in small, simple words so Clark will have no trouble understanding it and providing it for her, LOL!

Chloe was relieved to know that she wouldn’t need to hammer Clark with how much she needed him to just be there for her, “Clark, we can’t just go to Lex and demand whatever answers he’s willing to give. You and I both know that he has more resources than we could possibly overcome. We have to get information first and that comes later.”
    *sigh* I guess I’m going to have to wait a little while longer until the Chloe/Lex confrontation. What she said makes sense, it would be better to gather more information first and be able to approach him from a better tactical bargaining position, rather than just rushing in and trying to beat the answers out of him (lol, although violence would have been very satisfying for wolfy-Chloe, no doubt, LOL).

But when it was all over, a rather large wolf stood in front of him. On close inspection, there was actually no way that this animal could ever be mistaken for a wolf. It was far too large and far too muscular. It shamed the timber wolf in size and strength. The back legs were heavily muscled. They looked like they belonged on some larger animal. He could only conclude that they were for quick lunging and made running far easier. Her front legs, while still muscled, were leaner and streamlined…meant for quick turns and fine adjustment of pursuit. Her coat was also one not found in regular wolves. It was honey. “Beautiful.”

Clark noticed that her body language seemed unsure. He’d seen it before on many dogs who didn’t know the welcome they’d receive. He slowly walked towards the best friend he’d ever had, Pete was a close second but he was gone now. He bent down and touched her. Running his hands through her fur was an amazing thing. It was soft. He noticed her eyes. Far too intelligent to be on an animal. Her eyes were still green, but they seemed more vibrant as they caught a ray of sunlight.

Chloe rested her muzzle in his large hand. This was the first time that she could get a scale of how large she actually was. Clark was a big guy and she expected her muzzle to be dwarfed in his hands. She’d seen him with dogs before. Her muzzle didn’t fit in his hands.
    Wow! I didn’t realize that Chloe’s wolf state has never been described in previous chapters. I didn’t even know what colour she was. And Chloe probably didn’t know either considering that she becomes colour blind during the change. The description of the awe Clark feels when he first sees her… her muscles, her coat… her beautiful, soft, intelligent green eyes… I felt the same kind of reverence alongside Clark. This was a stunning physical-appearance introduction to Chloe-wolf. VERY nicely done, Ava! Brilliant!

I also liked how Chloe herself was taken by surprise when she finally had a proper basis of comparison (Clark’s hands) to judge her size with. That was a nice touch, Ava

Chloe was getting slightly uncomfortable with the solemnity of the situation and so did the only thing she could think of. She tackled him. The tackle took Clark by surprise but since she obviously wanted to wrestle with him then he’d oblige her. They hadn’t done anything like this since they were younger. He was always mindful of his strength.

By mutual accord they both stopped. Chloe was panting and Clark looked like he always did. “Jerk isn’t easily tired.” She moved away from him and cocked her head. Clark finally realized that she wanted to shift back to human so he turned his back on her. “He presents his back. Trust.”
    ROTFLMAO! Oh this was a BRILLAINT scene that’s going to stay with me for a long time. I loved Wolf-Chloe and Clark’s interaction… they were just so adorable together!! And it was lovely to see them being playful and re-establishing the friendship that has been a little estranged recently. Lovely!

She moved towards her car and heard Clark say, “You were beautiful. You were a honey color.”

She turned back towards him and ran into his arms. Her greatest fear that he’d tell her that she was a monster or that he would turn from her were unrealized. It was as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Chloe committed his scent to memory. “Pack.”
    Awww, he really is SUCH a sweet, charming boy. I rather understand why Chloe would have been carrying a hopeless torch for so long. Clark can be really considerate, tender and loving, once he gets his head out of his behind, LOL!

Chloe walked into her apartment and was immediately on guard. Her domain had been violated. She almost attacked the figure of the person standing in the middle of her living room but stopped when she realized who it was. “Lois.”

Chloe didn’t even have to feign anger when she spoke, “What the hell, Lois!”

“I’ve been reading. You’re going to hate me for this, but I couldn’t let it stand. Chloe, please, just tell me what’s wrong so that I can help you.”

Chloe looked around and saw what Lois had been reading. After Chloe first changed, she decided to keep a journal tracking what was happening. It seemed that Lois knew Chloe well enough to find where she had hidden it.
    Heh, Lois had no idea how lucky she was that she wasn’t mauled after breaking and entering into Wolfy-Chloe’s home, LOL! And it seems this was the chapter where the secret comes out to everyone… I understand the quote set at the beginning of the chapter now…. This is all about Chloe regaining her friends and her support system. Excellent!

Unlike with Clark, Chloe didn’t stay in her wolf form after she shifted. She stood before Lois and when Lois made no movement, she fled to her room. The sound of the door slamming galvanized Lois. “She must’ve thrown her weight against the door to close it.”

Lois ran to Chloe’s room and shouted outside her door, “Chloe! I don’t know what to think. This shouldn’t be possible! How is this possible?”

Lois was vaguely aware that her voice sounded panicky and far too high, but it wasn’t something she could help. “I can’t be helped. I just saw my cousin turn into a freaking werewolf!”
    ROTFLMAO! I loved this… I loved how the scene changed moods so quickly with Lois being completely incredulous and disbelieving of everything Chloe had written, going immediately to shocked realization, and THEN immediately to terrified fright! It was really quite amusing, LOL!

I know Clark handled the news of Chloe’s wolfy state better, but I think his invulnerability might have played a part in helping him be ‘not terrified’. Lois, on the other hand, has no such assurance about the continual preservation of her physical well-being when confronted by a huge super-strong wolf, LOL! Nice and realistic reactions from both of them, Ava!

“The change always drains me. I need to eat. Fruits are naturally sweet and help with energy. Coffee doesn’t taste terrible but it doesn’t taste good either. Too much artificial sweeteners and flavors. I try not to eat chocolate because in large quantities it can kill me and I’d rather avoid the temptation. You never did get to see my Wall of Weird did you? Weird things happen in this town and I know that you’ve noticed. It’s just you can’t explain it in a rational way so you discard it and have faith that it is somehow rooted in what you know and understand of the world,” Chloe stopped gathering food and looked at Lois, “But I can track most, if not all, of the weird things in this town back to meteor rocks. About two months ago I was kidnapped and then returned. Before you ask, it wasn’t an alien abduction. Anyway, I came back with a tracking device and the ability to become a werewolf. I don’t know how and I definitely don’t know why. The end.”
    LOL! Nice summation, and a couple of new things that I didn’t know too. I thought meat would have been Chloe’s main source of nutrients, but it’s good to know that she’s still balancing it out with fruits, and possibly veggies and dairy too, lol!

“Just like that?”

“Yeah, Chloe, just like that. You’re still my cousin. And we’ll get the bastard who did this.”

Life couldn’t get any better than at that moment. She wasn’t alone any more. There were still problems to face, issues to deal with, and things to discuss, but not right now. Right now, Chloe was going to bask in the glow of knowing she had Lois and Clark on her side.
    Yay! Chloe has her support group to help her out now

Samuel Kale enjoyed his work retrieving the freaks that Luthor had released. It wasn’t as thrilling as he had hoped it would be, but it kept him from being bored and relieved his frustrations over dealing with the fiancée. “Such weak minded individuals should be shot in public as a lesson to others.” So when he received the retrieval orders on Patient 081, he was no more or less excited than with the others. “Another weakling that I’m removing from the world. It’s a service.” He’d done his homework and got as much information about 081 as his boss was willing to divulge. He did wonder about the secrecy surrounding this particular patient, but it was “need to know” apparently.

Kale had meticulously prepared. No matter how much he denigrated the abilities of the dregs he was retrieving, he’d always get it right. It was the first rule. But this retrieval went wrong almost from the start. She was careful. There had been no overt use of her abilities and she seemed almost paranoid. “This one has brains.” He realized why this one was shrouded in secrecy as he tracked her movement. “A most fascinating animal. Beautiful. Strong.” Kale prided himself on his objectivity. There was no room in this business for anything other than business. He couldn’t be biased. So he could appreciate her abilities.
    Fascinating! Kale is one really creepy guy, and I think he definitely gets a sick pleasure from inflicting pain, hurt and fear on all the ‘creatures’ he hunts down. It was rather strange that he regards mutants to be ‘weaklings’, considering that many of them have super-abilities that render them more powerful and dangerous than normal humans. Perhaps he’s referring to the weakness of their minds? The way these mutants ‘allow’ themselves to be driven towards megalomania and insanity because of their powers?

It was ALSO interesting that there was no definite mention about Lex Luthor being Kale’s employer. There was only mention of Lex being the one to ‘release’ these mutants (for reasons that I’m not yet certain of) and then Kale being given orders to ‘collect them’? Perhaps it was Lex who wanted his test-subjects back after observing how they interacted with the ‘real world’, or perhaps it’s a whole new person taking an interest in Lex’s mutant project.

Heh, mysteries piling up now, and I can’t wait to see where the answers lead. I look forward to the next update, Ava… Please post soon.

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Re: Dreaming the Wolf, PG-13, 12-15-07, Interlude

Disclaimer- see ch1

A/N- We, here at Killing Wall of Snow International, call this new part the “calm before the storm”. Enjoy!

A/N2- This part is also dedicated to skauble because she’s the SUPER BETA! I think everyone should thank her for her hard work and her all around awesome beta-ness. I know I do.

(I can be nice sometimes…in between the monstrous evil I sometimes indulge in)

Interlude- Being

May you find serenity and tranquility
    in a world you may not always understand.

May the pain you have known
    and the conflict you have experienced
    give you the strength to walk through life
    facing each new situation with courage and optimism.
    Sandra Sturtz Hauss , excerpt from “May You Always Feel Loved”

After Chloe had revealed herself to Lois, they had spent the day just talking and knowing each other again. Chloe could see the wide gulf that had been between them. It had never really been there before…even when they were younger and Lois and Uncle Sam were constantly on the move. They had been like sisters. And while Chloe was no slouch in the hyperactivity department, Lois took it to a whole new level. She was outgoing, brash, and daring. Chloe was all those things too, but she could take control of it. Own it so as not to alienate people.

Lois simply didn’t care. She barely had impulse control. It was both endearing and frustrating beyond believe. But none of that had mattered until the wolf. The wolf came and forced Chloe to look at Lois like a new entity. Forced her to look at Lois not with the lens of being a cousin or a sister, but objectively and the wolf had found her lacking. It was a new and scary feeling. Yes, she and Clark had been close and rejecting him had hurt badly, but it was nowhere near the feeling of rejecting Lois. Lois was family. She was there before Clark and would be around long after him.

By mutual agreement, they chose to not begin searching for the hows and the whys. They chose to just be together. Even now, after Lois had left, Chloe’s apartment held faint traces of Lois. The kitchen counter where they both stood and talked and put food together to eat. The couch where they had sat and watched movies. The only place where Lois’ scent didn’t linger was the bedroom. Chloe hadn’t been ready to have her scent there, but it was a start. Sometimes baby steps were the way to go and sometimes charging madly and wildly was the way to go. The day had already been emotional, so it was a fairly easy decision to not push her luck with what she could and could not do.

No matter how small the step, it had been a big thing to feel content with someone else’s scent all over. It wasn’t obtrusive. It was comforting because Lois was once again family. She wasn’t a loud talking stranger that she had visions of maiming horribly. She was Lois again and that meant everything. It meant that even though her father wasn’t around, some part of him was with her, however removed.

She didn’t know that she could feel this level of peace. Even before whatever was done to her was done to her. Lois was understandably freaked. Chloe was a tactile person before and even more now that she was a wolf.

She had eventually run Lois off with a promise to call her soon. Chloe wanted to be alone and process everything and she didn’t think she could do it with Lois around keeping up an endless stream of chatter. So it was with quiet reflection that Chloe watched the sunset.

Since becoming the wolf, sunset and sunrise became something of a spiritual experience…even when she was color blind. She might not have been able to see the brilliant hues now, but she could take note of the tree that was across the street. It was as if the absence of color forced her to note everything else. She could see the dips and hollows of the leaves. It was like she was holding the leaf in her hands. It was that vivid. The experience became so much more when could see the colors and be focused on them.

Chloe remembered the first time she had just *sat* and looked at something with her new sight. She’d been doing the dishes and the sun had caught this bubble. And there were just so many colors refracted and reflected back at her. It was then that it was really and truly hammered home that everything about her was different. Everything. The whole changing into a wolf was something almost abstract. It happened and then she was Chloe again, but this meant that it was with her even as Chloe. It was a surreal moment.

She disliked the fact that she was color blind but at these moments she could stop and try to appreciate everything else. It was the only way to adapt to the circumstances of her new life and all that entailed. Chloe was left with the earthshaking knowledge that she could not be what she was, could not remain in her present condition, but had no clue how to move forward. She did know that it began with Lois and Clark. Her family. Eventually her new life would include her father, but not now. Baby steps.

I love that Chloe is finally starting to accept the wolfside of her, that she is different now, changed, and not trying to seperate herself from her wolfself, that they are now the same{did that make any sense?} LOL

I also love that she and Lois are getting along and not letting Chloe's change ruin their relationship. Another awesome chapter!

Can't wait to read more!!!

I was wondering if Lex will be making an appearance soon?

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was a wonderful interlude!

Chloe is right about her cousin--Lois is too brash, too loud, too outspoken. Shis is almost foolhardy in her actions. Chloe is smart and brave and will go out on a limb for a story, but she also knows her limitations. But I did like that Lois accepted the "changed" Chloe--good for her.

But I have a question: where is Gabe? This update makes it sound that Chloe's dad is still around, but just not living in Smallville? And I would also like to see Lex make his appearance in this awesome fic.

But I know this is your story, so I have to be patient. DAMN!!!
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Your writing is so with your use of the senses of sight, smell and touch as through Chloe's new found change. Keep up the good work. Dagney

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information