0 0%
  • Bring it ON! Go out with a bang, Ava!

8 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreaming the Wolf, R, 10-23-09, Chapter 23 and Epilogue

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: Dreaming the Wolf, R, 05-09-08, Chapter 10

“One of the hardest things in this world is to admit you are wrong. And nothing is more helpful in resolving a situation than its frank admission.”
    Benjamin Disraeli
    Oh this was GOOD, Ava! I loved the way that this quote helped put the chapter into proper perspective for me. Excellent choice!

But it didn’t stop there. Reports of the fantastical were in constant supply. Chloe’s Wall of Weird was the pathetically small tip of the iceberg. And everything…everything could be traced to the first meteor shower. Time hadn’t passed long enough to accurately detail the effects of the second meteor shower; but if the results were anything like the first, it would get ugly in about 10-20 years. An entirely new generation would spring up, which would compound the original problem of the previous generation. How this little town wasn’t overrun with scientists itching to study the rocks, land, and anything was beyond him. “It makes no sense.”
    It really IS quite frightening to consider all the effects of the first meteor shower a decade ago and understand that there is going to be MORE of these strange, unpredictable, powerful kind of effects taking place on a whole new generation of ‘infected kids’. I can understand why Lex felt he had to take charge of the situation in SOME form or another. It was the fearful, paranoid, control freak within Lex urging him to ‘take control’ of the situation as well as his ‘inner geek’ driving him forward to investigate and categorize.

When Chloe had come by earlier, he had wanted to see her; but he found that he didn’t have the energy. His mind was racing and the full consequences, the consequences he could discern at any rate, weighed on him. He had failed as a person. How could he look at her and not see his failure? How could he look at her and not beg her for forgiveness? Even if he didn’t care for her? Which wasn’t the case.
    I could easily visualize the series of events that led to this situation where Lex blames himself for all the unethical, dangerous and ruthless Meteor-Based experiments that have been carried out in Smallville. It was through HIS company that these experiments were carried out, so he was the one who provided an opening for these merciless forces to come in and start ‘fiddling around’ without needing to reveal themselves to the public (using him as a cover).

It’s even possible that HE was the one who piqued their interesting in the first place? By showing them what was happening? Did he draw their attention by asking for proper funds and resources so that he can investigate properly? Or perhaps it was simply the huge amount of ‘noise’ and ripples he was creating in his own personally funded research that drew their attention? Whatever the situation, I can see why Lex would blame himself for what happened to Chloe as well as countless others.

And so he was sitting at his desk with his head in his hands, contemplating the bottle of Scotch within his line of sight. The only saving grace was that Lana was off somewhere else. Lex had painted himself into a corner and he couldn’t back down now. To do so would be to admit things to himself that he wanted to remain hidden. Lex yelled into his hands and slammed them down onto the desk. It stung.

“I can’t fix this.”
    I loved, LOVED how this paragraph fit in with the opening quote! The quote made it clear that the most difficult but most helpful way to solve a problem is to admit what you did wrong in the first place. I loved the idea that Lex is stubbornly trying to find a way out of this situation without being forced to admit that he made a mistake. He’s going to have to swallow his pride and admit to being wrong before he can start back-tracking and fixing it.

LOL! Fortunately, Chloe is on her way to beat the admission out of Lex, whether he likes it or not, LOL!

Chloe had to do what no human has ever had to do, but what their genetic brethren have done for millions of years. She had to accept her senses and deny the higher brain functions that defined Homo sapiens as a species.
    I LOVED the description of Chloe sinking down into her pure animal senses. It makes sense that it takes a real effort for someone like her to FORCE her mind, intellect and logic to take a backseat to pure primal instincts. Chloe has depended on her intellect and puzzle solving skills for a long time to save herself as well as others… so she’s basically trying to shift away one survival instinct for another.

Closing her eyes and praying for a little luck, Chloe jumped. She didn’t quite make it. Chloe grabbed at the ledge and felt claws rip from her hands violently. They caught the gate. She had a tenuous grasp, but it was a start. Her hands hurt because her claws were embedded in the concrete of the gate. She pulled herself onto the ledge and then dropped onto the other side.
    It was thrilling and [I[fantastic[/I] visualizing Chloe in this ‘half-animal’ state. Not only mentally (where she’s balancing intellect against wolf-instincts) but also physical! She was keeping on her jeans and shirt, but allowing SOME of her wolf muscles to come out and help her through the defences. It was especially fascinating to see the part where she instinctively shot out her claws when they were needed at a crucial, exciting moment. Her control, skills, know-how and judgement in not perfect yet, but she’s definitely getting the hang of it. Awesome!

It was official. Her life was now a video game and her player was a button masher. She could make that an analogy only because she counted Pete as one of her best friends. Rolling her eyes at herself, Chloe ran to the stables at a dead sprint. She felt an incredible rush of adrenaline and euphoria.
    ROTFLMAO! She does seem a little bit like Sonic the Hedgehog, doesn’t she? The way she’s using speed, leaps and jumps to barrel her way forward, ROTFL!

If this euphoric power rush was what Clark had to deal with every day, then she was not giving him the credit he deserved. She didn’t even think that he was giving himself the credit he deserved; but it made sense. If ever he thought he had everything solved and he knew for a fact he wouldn’t ever abuse his powers, then they were all in trouble because he’d have already started descending into abusing his powers.
    wow! I LOVED this astute insight into Clark. I loved the idea that Chloe had a moment where she understood so much better than anyone else about what it must be like to be Clark Kent. It probably IS a huge rush for him to be aware, at ALL times, that he’s probably the most powerful being on the planet, and that he can crush the entire world without breaking into a sweat. It’s a rush… but it must also be so damned frightening for him, the poor boy! I can see why he’s too scared to get off the farm.

I also loved the idea that Chloe knew that the moment Clark lost the last bit of fear about controlling his abilities, he would turn dangerous and even arrogantly tyrannical. It will be great to see him gain confidence in himself and become the hero he’s destined to become, BUT it would be VERY bad if he became ‘too’ confident in himself as well.

The man Clark would become would be a savior to many. He wouldn’t have many friends, but the ones he would have would go to hell and back for him. He’d have relationships that flared out dramatically, but he would always be able to pick himself up. And when he finally found that person he could spend a life with, his strength of character and resolve would get that much stronger. He would truly be invincible. Chloe really wanted to know that man; and she couldn’t wait.
    This was beautiful, Ava! At this moment, I could see the gloriously, shining love that Chloe holds for Clark. She’s actually PROUD of him… proud to know him, proud of everything that he is, everything that he can do, and the kind of man that she KNOWS he’s going to become. I wonder whether Clark has ANY idea about this kind of faith that Chloe has in him. I think he would be humbled from knowing what kind of dreams and hopes she has for him, and THAT (more than anything) would inspire him to become the man he’s destined to be.

There wasn’t anyone else close enough to catch her so once again she took off running towards the grounds keeper’s office. She knew it was his office because Lana had once shown her the stables. A part of her figured that Lana was probably bragging on some level; but it came in handy now. If Clark Kent didn’t exist, Chloe knew that they wouldn’t be friends. There was nothing in Lana that she could relate to and vice versa. Lana wasn’t a bad person. She just wasn’t someone Chloe would’ve made the effort to know.
    I loved the way that Chloe can extend her senses and process all the information she’s receiving to get a VERY clear picture of the situation she’s in. I was amazed at the way she was able to identify the number of guards (as well as their possible competence levels) at the stables. I wonder whether the horses were able to sense her…? Did they show any sign of nervousness?

It was also very interesting how Chloe has a rather cold and contemptuous view of Lana. It’s rather sad that THIS is Lana’s best friend. Heh… despite the fact that Chloe doesn’t really like Lana, there’s no actual hatred over there… but I don’t think this kind of indifference is going to last for long once Chloe finds out that Lana was the ‘willing tool’ being used by the team that had kidnapped and experimented on her in the first place.

When Chloe began hearing gun fire, she somehow summoned the will to run faster. She sharply turned left and barreled into Mercy. Chloe had no doubt that if she had not been a werewolf, she would’ve ended up sprawled in a heap; but she was a werewolf and that didn’t happen. Although she did hear Mercy let out a pained breath. It was very satisfying.

Chloe had to get vicious now because they knew where she was headed. She picked Mercy up and turned her around. Mercy would be the first to face any bullets coming from the front. At the last minute, she decided that using Mercy as a human shield would be crossing a line she didn’t want to cross. The only other option was not that much better.

The only thing to recommend it was the fact that she wouldn’t be using Mercy as a shield, but as a projectile. Chloe pushed Mercy hard into the group of men aiming their guns. They all fell like bowling pins. It was amusing. Unfortunately, Chloe wouldn’t be able to savor it because Lex’s door was only a few feet away and a pile of bodies were between her and her goal.
    Oh wow, WOW!!! I LOVE your fast-paced, exciting action sequences, Ava! They’re incredible to read through! You always manage to keep it clear about what every single body is doing at all times, but keep the action moving fast enough to keep it thrilling and exhilarating for the audience.

I LOVED Chloe taking charge of the assault, getting vicious, but ALWAYS, at all times, keeping perfect control over herself… and above all things, she ALWAYS kept her cool and kept on THINKING while she planned out every move two steps in advance. I don’t know whether these warrior instincts were in her from before, OR whether they were added on with the wolf, but she’s turned out to be a formidable fighter.

I especially loved the way that she managed to keep even her enemies relatively safe by making sure that none of them accidentally shot each other. She might have decided to have gotten vicious, but it was fantastic to see that she wasn’t willing to ‘sacrifice’ anyone as cannon-fodder or as a human shield in her place.

Before he could even think about not doing something, she said, “Lex, I am going to kill you if I get shot tonight. Not ‘ha ha’ dead. I mean real, choke you to death dead.”

Lex sighed. He was resigned to this. “I wish this day was over.” Lex walked around his desk and strode towards her. Reaching around her, he opened the door, “Go away and fix whatever door she broke.”
    ROTFLMAO! What a sweet and heart-warming reunion! ROTFLMAO!

I was impressed to see Lex kept his cool when Chloe broke into his home AGAIN… especially considering how friggen SCARY she looked the first time she ferociously broke in. ROTFL! It was really cute seeing how Chloe greeted Lex with threats, but Lex KNEW that she was only (half) joking about harming him.

Chloe was suddenly very hungry and thirsty so she followed her nose to a sandwich at his bar. As she walked, she talked, “Lex, we really need to talk about a few things.”

Lex watched as Chloe went to his bar, took his sandwich from earlier in the day, and took a can of coke from the mini-refrigerator. “Why don’t you help yourself to some food and a drink, Chloe?”

A baleful glare was his only reply.
    LOL! It’s not exactly the smoothest starts to an alliance, but DAMN it’s fun, ROTFL! I loved how they both are snarking and sniping at each other. It’s especially amazing considering that Chloe came here to basically ‘ask’ Lex for an alliance, and Lex knows that Chloe could rip his throat out without blinking an eye. The guts that these two have… it’s awe-inspiring!

“I saw you in the window. Besides, you and I both know that if you had wanted to see me you would have.”
    heh.. he doesn’t really have an answer to that. But he’s certainly not going to APOLOGISE to her about anything… even if he DOES feel a deep urge to kneel down and beg for forgiveness. It’s amazing seeing how Luthor pride and arrogance can enable Lex to bluff his way through any situation.

That was what Chloe was afraid of. It being just like old times. Lex smiled a little to himself. It was the smile of a man resigned to his fate and just begging for it to be over.
    heeee!!! Time for another Chlex alliance. It’s really rather tragic however, seeing how the two of them REALLY don’t like the idea of teaming up again. I can understand why Chloe would not have wanted to team up with Lex again… she doesn’t trust him, and believes him to be selfish and manipulative.

Hmmm, but I would have thought that LEX would have liked the idea of an alliance with Chloe, JUST to have the chance to re-bond with her again? Unless he sees this as ending up with him hurting and alone again after he’s fallen in love with Chloe (even more)? It must have hurt him a LOT when they separated from their alliance the first time.

“No, Lex, I came all this way to talk to you; and now I’m hungry. Feed me.”

He could do this. He could take her jokes and her weird sense of humor. At the very least, it removed some of the tension between them. “And after dinner?”
    ROTFL! I LOVE Chloe’s nerve and dominating attitude. And I really enjoyed the way that is assuring himself that he can ‘bear with’ Chloe’s strangely irresistible form of humour, that he’s prepared to deal with it. LOL! Keep telling yourself that, Lex... although I doubt you’ll be able to convince yourself, LOL!

It was such a sacrifice to say, but it was the truth. The only way she could see to get through this was to be honest. And she honestly needed him to use his brain because this was his field. He was masterful when it came to business subterfuge. Lionel had trained him well. Of course, she was also trusting him to give her his original project files because she knew he hadn’t. And when he did finally relent, because he would, she had to be prepared to not be angry with him. It was a tall order; but if it increased their chances of success then she would deal with it. It wasn’t as if she had a choice.
    *sigh* She really doesn’t trust him at ALL, does she? She’s already expecting him to start off with some slippery manoeuvrings, and she’s telling herself NOT to be angry with him about anything she finds out. This is NOT going to be a smooth alliance. What exactly did Lex do to incur Chloe’s supreme, intense kind of distrust anyway?

Lex didn’t believe her. Chloe was an adequate liar. She could usually fool the less discerning. He had seen her do it. He didn’t fool himself into thinking that she had never pulled one over on him; but he could detect many of her lies. And she was most definitely not telling him the full issue. In the spirit of their new alliance, he let her have this lie. She would probably share it with him sooner or later; especially if it became important. He could be patient and not pick this battle. There would undoubtedly be more.
    I think it makes perfect sense that Chloe wouldn’t want to involve Lana. She already knew that Lana was basically flighty and rather unpredictable when it comes to keeping secrets. On top of that, I think Chloe is still trying to puzzle out what’s going on with Lana’s fake baby… I wonder whether she’s going to ask Lex about HIS thoughts on Lana’s fake pregnancy. It would be interesting to see his reaction.

“Yes, I did notice that Clark wasn’t around. I guess you wanted to keep him safe?”

Lex was jealous; but that dig was going to be the last…unless she did something. Allies were not friends.
    I’m a little puzzled about this little bit. Is Chloe acknowledging that Lex is jealous? Or is Lex admitting to himself that he’s jealous? Was this ‘inner thought’ one of Chloe’s or Lex’s?

Chloe Sullivan was nothing if not audacious. He had to admire her for looking him in the eye with a straight face and demanding that particular dinner. It was kind of endearing in an exasperating kind of way.
    ROTFLMAO! He’s ALREADY falling for her quirks, attitude and behaviour. I love the way that he’s actually admiring her cutting rudeness over here, LOL! There are VERY few people that Lex could tolerate this kind of abrupt, demanding attitude from, much less admire it, ROTFL! He completely gone on her!

Lex returned to the room. He actually sounded vaguely cheery and slightly optimistic, “There’s nothing like cementing an alliance than with good food. We’ll be eating shortly. In the meantime, we could always play a game of pool. Or we could stare at each other in uncomfortable silence.”

She rolled her eyes at him, “Turn on the news and let’s play pool.”

This promised to be a long, surreal evening. “At least he’s trying.”
    Heeee!!! More Chlex bonding coming up soon. I look forward to seeing how it goes. Good luck with the next chapter, Ava! Please post soon.

Lmao! Chloe is totally awesome and a little bit scary. I love how she used Mercy as a shield and then throw her at the guards. "like bowling pins" (LOl)... And I'm so excited for the new Chlex partnership!-- it will definitely be intresting and completely entertaning!

Fantastic update...I can't wait to read the next chapter!!

I'm thrilled with the Chlex. I continue to admire this fic. The plot, characters and action Dang your fab! Dagney

The Chlex partnership gets renewed once more.

“No, Lex, I came all this way to talk to you; and now I’m hungry. Feed me.”
    oh my god can't stop can't breathe

Fishin' for brains Senior Member Avalanche's Avatar
    In the best state in this here Union, which is of course, Texas

Disclaimer- see ch1

A/N- Everyone must thank skauble in their review! She worked through the pain and she’s awesome! Also, I hope you have a fun trip, somethingeasy!

Chapter 11- Judgments of the Wolf

“To confront a person with his own shadow is to show him his own light.”
    Anonymous

While they were playing pool, Lex noticed that she was markedly better than she had been. It wasn’t that she was bad before; or that now she was making more shots. It was that she was making fancier and far more difficult shots. Chloe seemed to be in this intense zone. She barely noticed him.

During one shot the light had caught her eyes at a sharp angle and he could see flecks of gold in them. The changes in her, the wolf in her, seemed to be narrowing her mind set to give this singular focus on a particularly challenging contest. He could only guess that she didn’t want to lose to him and was now putting more effort into beating him. “Remarkable.”

When their second game started, Lex decided to not play to beat her. He was going to play only to make it difficult. He was going to play to set the most difficult shot for her and see how she responded. Lex thought that she was getting annoyed; but when she didn’t comment on it he recognized it as excitement. She was enjoying this. The primal part of her that wanted to win and succeed was reveling in this contest that he was setting up for her. It was thrilling to witness. Lex wished that she would consent to a few physical and mental aptitude tests; but he was skating on thin ice. “She’d probably stab me if I suggested it.”

He was prepared to do more elaborate, but subtle things to test her when their food arrived. Lex didn’t think it was particularly uncomfortable, but it was obvious that she didn’t want to talk. Something else was on her mind. He should’ve known what it was because their empty plates had barely been cleared when she asked for his project files. Chloe wouldn’t be swayed from wanting them so it was with reluctance that he gave her a watered down version of his files. They would keep her busy until they were on firmer ground in regards to their new alliance.

That had been an hour ago and she was still going through his files. It was a large volume so she’d be occupied for quite a bit of time. He was currently viewing the footage of Chloe breaking into his home. His technicians had gathered the pertinent video files forty-five minutes after dinner.

There were strategically place cameras both inside and outside his home. The various break-ins and attempts to do harm to his person, most recently exemplified by Chloe, necessitated this added precaution. The need to install security cameras and a regular rotation of non-descript and ubiquitous guards was first crystallized with the death of his father; but he hadn’t done it. He could be honest with himself.

His arrogance had still clouded his judgment and he knew it. Chloe breaking in and severely injuring his personal guard had shattered whatever arrogant posture he wanted to take. So he had shoved all of his reservations to the side and began the process of making his mansion into a true siege-proof castle. It was working well until Chloe Sullivan proved once again that his measures were ineffective. He was beginning to think that it wasn’t so much that he was ineffective as much as she was just that good.

“Of course she is.” Lex hated that thought. He hated that it was always her that proved him weak and he hated that he thought of her as much as he did.

Lex hadn’t suffered a true breech of his defenses. Helen. His father. Clark. Those were things he brought on himself; and if he was being honest with himself, and now was the time he chose to do so, then he could admit that he let them close enough to hurt him. He didn’t account for them and paid the price. But Chloe was different. He had actively tried to prevent her from doing what she did best and she was still able to do it. She was to be admired; but it didn’t mean that the situation was any less infuriating.

Moving his thoughts back to the footage that was streamed and muted on his computer, he marveled. Lex knew he should’ve been reading some files that his tech had specifically flagged for his perusal, and he knew that Chloe was diligently working on a different file set; but he had to see how she had done it. There were only so many cameras that any one person can set on a particular spot.

If they panned, there were always timing issues and people could get past them. Lex had chosen stationary cameras and guards would patrol. His guard rotation was tight. It was designed to allow the least amount of time for anyone to break through the rotation. No sooner was a new guard pair past a checkpoint than another would be nearing it. The cameras and guards complimented each other. It should’ve been hard to get past one or the other.

But Chloe…Chloe had obliterated the timing and gotten past both his cameras and his guards. The gate camera nearest to where she breeched his gate barely caught her and the guards didn’t. There was maybe five seconds where she was on camera and it was a blur. His system should’ve immediately notified his guards of a breech, but she was registered as some sort of animal; probably a cat, which the system was programmed to ignore. He had people monitoring camera footage in real time, but he had dozens of cameras placed and they couldn’t keep track of them all.

Lex used a biometric surveillance system. Each guard and staff member’s vitals were catalogued into his system…they’re face and they’re gait. His system knew which people could be at any given place at any given time. Anyone in an unauthorized place sounded his alarms.

Cameras in hot spots or particularly vulnerable spots were routed to the camera room monitored by real people, but others weren’t. Information was logged to a database; and if there was a threat accessed, then the footage was routed to a guard station for human viewing. If that person deemed the threat real, then the alarm was sounded. There was too much wildlife in the area and he’d be suffering through false alarms by the dozens. Chloe moved too quickly for the system to catalogue her as a threat. The system could not catalogue her face or her movement, so it didn’t register as a threat.

The interior cameras caught her perfectly. He wondered if she had been aware that as she ran her form was hunched over. She had lowered her center of gravity so that her balance would be better. There wasn’t a camera that was able to get an outside shot of her as she broke the door of the grounds keeper’s office; but there was one on the inside. Lex sat up in his chair and leaned closer to the monitor as he saw the door explode inward and Chloe streak through the hallway. She was a dervish of barely leashed violence.

Lex gritted his teeth when he saw his guards raise their guns and fire them. Her death would be a blow, having ramifications emotionally and as a general matter. Chloe and his family had intricate dealings and if anything had happened to her because of him, then there would be no way he could come out of it unscathed legally. No one would believe that it was an accident or that she was in the wrong. They would only see that a Luthor had hurt her.

There hadn’t been any more clear shots as she ran through his halls straight to him. It was right then that Lex decided that he should utilize some of the other rooms. He had to be more unpredictable because Chloe didn’t even slow down to try to figure out where he had been. He knew her senses were improved but they couldn’t be that improved.

The last clear shot came when she ran into Mercy. It was a miracle that Mercy didn’t suffer broken bones after the collision. Mercy was very good at what she did, but she really didn’t have any chance against a focused, animalistic Chloe, who was harnessing the best of two worlds: the raw, visceral power of the wolf and her own powerful intellect.

Chloe was a decent long-term tactician, but she was better with on the fly changes that put her opponent on their heels. Her strength was shaking someone out of their game plan and forcing them to meet her in the trenches. Her brand of warfare was toe-to-toe. She didn’t hide behind a sniper when a knife to the gut let her actively participate and see the defeat of her enemies.

It was why he didn’t particularly enjoy engaging her. Chloe was brutal in the short game. She didn’t want to go twelve rounds with you; instead, she would spot your weakness and knock you out in the third. She had this weird kind of finesse that ended very messily. Lex much preferred the cold calculus of his far reaching plans.

The only way to defeat someone like Chloe was to force them into a game of attrition. There was no breaking Chloe with one hit. It had to be systemic wounds that slowly bled. She’d keep fighting but she would weaken herself. The pressure had to come from all sides. Force her to make a choice that would appall her friends. Threaten her father. Take away her job or the thing she did every day…her purpose, no matter what it was.

You couldn’t goad her into a mistake. Because she was so focused on her brutal, in your face fight, she disregarded slight insults. That seemed almost counter-intuitive, but it held true. The expectation was that these unpredictable tacticians were prone to temper and flights of fancy, and it did hold true for the weak among them. But Chloe wasn’t weak and her focus on her goal was intense and nigh unshakable. People with convoluted or far reaching plans were prone to hubris. It was how tacticians like Chloe won. Their gift was to force planners to doubt small aspects of their plan. Force them to change it in response. And as soon as planners were responding, they were out of their element and playing Chloe’s way.

Don’t hand her big defeats because she would rally and hand you your ass. Give her small, numerous defeats. Her world had to collapse slowly, bit by bit so that the she felt and saw it coming. The trick was to make it so that she couldn’t focus her paranoia. A focused Chloe was a vicious and deadly beast. When he and Chloe had made their alliance against Lionel, she could become focused.

It was the beginning of the end of the Lionel Luthor reign the moment that she cast off Clark’s judgments, resolved her own issues with how she got her job at The Daily Planet and fear for her father’s safety. Lionel had laid the blueprint for all the world to see. It was only in that moment that Lex could see that someone else was following that same blueprint.

And his pride and sense of self took another hit when he factored in his unwitting part. The next hit to his pride came when he realized that he had just given himself a clinic on Chloe Sullivan and he still hadn’t been able to defeat her. They were in a virtual dead lock. Lex knew what it took; he just didn’t have what it takes. The only consolation to be had was that not even his father had ever experienced a true victory in regards to her. His waning spirits were stoked when he realized that once again she was coming to him to help focus her.

Lex’s thoughts returned to his computer. Chloe had just entered and he noticed that as they spoke, she gradually resumed her original height. He considered that moment. When he thought about it, he had heard a pop. It was probably her knees and spine returning to their original alignment. It was fascinating. He looked over at Chloe, who was reading a data set that he had just given her, and noticed that she blew her hair away from her face. “Chloe’s hair is longer.”

While he had been contemplating her, Chloe had been reading over the data that he had given her. Lex had been too busy looking over the security camera footage and so he hadn’t felt when the mood in the room changed. The air suddenly seemed oppressive and foreboding. He knew the files he had given her detailed his project a little more; but they didn’t delve too deeply. They were the safest file set he had. Lex chose to let the feeling pass him and work on the finance reports.

For thirty minutes more, Lex forced himself to ignore her. But it got to be too much for him. Lex could feel her disgust for him and couldn’t ignore it. It was a living, pulsing thing that was watching him. The oppressive weight of it was slowly driving him to distraction and inevitably it would end in his fury. She had no right to look at him that way. He would not be led to some admission of guilt. He had done nothing wrong.

Ten minutes of working independently and the feeling only intensified in him. Lex finally reached his breaking point. He stood up from his chair and walked around his desk to where Chloe was sitting and typing away on her computer.

Lex’s composure left him and he spoke with controlled anger, “What is it with this town? I give these people job, opportunities. I donate to whatever cause they deem worthy and still I get these small minded judgments. And now I have to deal with it from you?”

Chloe felt him get up. She had smelled his anger; although feelings didn’t have a particular scent associated with them, but she smelled something different in him. The instincts passed on to her from her newly acquired canine heritage prepared her for the possibility of danger from him. His hostility was a taste that settled on the back of her tongue and into the pit of her stomach.

Getting into a fight with him on the heels of their newly forged and very shaky alliance was the last thing she wanted. She wanted to avoid it at all cost. It would serve no purpose, but she couldn’t ignore him. Lex was challenging her. Chloe would engage him in words now so that it wouldn’t end in violence later. A blow-up was probably needed just to clear the air. Smoldering ashes were far better to deal with than raging fires.

Chloe didn’t bother to stand or to even look at him. If she needed to, she could subdue him in mere seconds and looking at him might make things worse. Her words were a sharp contrast to his. They were measured and even, “What exactly is it that you’re looking for, Lex?”

Lex pushed his hands into his pockets. Throttling her, or attempting it, would just end very messily for him, “Maybe I’m looking for some reason from people. I realize that this town isn’t exactly a Mecca of culture and refinement, but even these people can muster some sort of common sense.”

Chloe rolled her eyes, “There. Right there is why this town won’t trust you. You’re a condescending jackass. Also, and more to the point, you kidnapped people, Lex! And even if nobody in this town except me and Clark realize it, they know something happened and you were the cause.”

Lex blew out a frustrated breath and answered her, “I told you—“

Chloe cut him off with a sharp flick of her wrist, “I know what you told me and I don’t care! You put those people in harm’s way, Lex, no matter what you tell yourself! You had to have known that what you were doing wasn’t going to win any friends and yet you are inexplicably surprised. Because of you, people were put in danger. Are they alive? Did whoever hijacked your project have them killed? Or are they undergoing some other horror? We don’t know, Lex, so no, you get no credit from me.”

Lex opened his mouth to retort, but Chloe stood and looked at him. She wanted him silent so that he would listen. His turn was done.

Her voice rose slightly, “You condescend them and expect them to do whatever it is you think is right! This town doesn’t trust you because they see you working so hard for Lionel’s respect. Maybe even his love. This town doesn’t trust you because everything is a deal for you, Lex. You don’t try to relate to them and understand that you don’t represent a good change. I…this town is waiting for you to take that final steps towards Lionel’s grand plan for you. Nothing you’ve done leads me…this town to believe that you won’t because you won’t reject Lionel. Yes, he’s your father, but you must know what kind of man he was and the fact that you still try so hard for him, even after his death, is terrifying, Lex.”

Lex did hear what she was saying, but he didn’t believe that she understood him. Something was being lost in translation; he chose not to raise his voice, “What if I wasn’t asking for the respect of this town? Of course, they won’t understand; but you of all people should understand that there are things people must do no matter the cost. I wasn’t asking for you to give me credit; but you have no right to judge me, Chloe.”

Chloe looked away from him and ran her hand through her hair and continued as if he hadn’t spoken, “Life is not fair, Lex. It’s barely fair to good people. You don’t get to lament your lonely existence and rail at Lionel’s deeds when you are so willing to take his money and the respect it brings. The day that you are worthy of Lionel’s twisted philosophy is the day that you lose whatever made you human. Don’t you get it? You’ll be so much worse than he ever was. And ultimately that’s why this town can’t accept you.”

Implicit in her words was that she also wouldn’t be able to accept him. It was a blow below the belt. He wanted to so much to force her to understand. To force her to see his side of things; but she was stubborn and difficult before her aggression quotient was raised by her change and he was in no position to try to force anything on her. Lex saw it in the way that she engaged him. While she was fearless before, now she was contemptuous of the threat that he posed because he was no threat. It galled him no end.

She could do nothing more for him. Lex was at Nietzsche’s proverbial abyss and he had to recognize that fact for himself. He was so many things and many of them were good, but it wouldn’t matter if he let perceived slights consume him. Chloe saw his frustration every time he was with Lana and every time Clark turned the literal and metaphorical back on him. There came a time when you had to see your issues for what they were. Lex had to do that. The feeling that she was being hypocritical came, but she crushed it. They were discussing him and the focus had to stay there.

Lex was calm, but his body was rigid and uncompromising. His face was shuttered. She’d get nothing more from him this night. One angered, self-righteous speech wasn’t going to bring about a major life change, but she could hope that he’d think about it. She wanted him to be the man that helped her that summer so she lived on hope.

“Are you done with your assessment?”

Chloe was always amazed that he could lace so much derision in one simple phrase, but she recognized it as the distancing tactic that it was.

She sighed, “Do you want me to be?”

Chloe couldn’t let is stay there. There was one more thing she had to say, “Lex, how was I a danger?”

Her soft words hurt him because he had no answer for her. He couldn’t make that better. Chloe had a very valid point. He couldn’t justify it to himself so how he do so to her? Lex hadn’t actually known that his scientists were going after her until after the fact. By then it was too late and he would lose nothing by continuing. Except that he had. She didn’t remember it, but the reminders stared her in the face every time she looked in the mirror.

Turning his back to her, Lex went to his desk. It was answer enough. It was an answer that hurt a lot. The Lex that she had known would’ve fought her. He would’ve pointed out her own hypocrisy, but this one didn’t. He turned his back on her. This Lex refused to engage her and she wished he would; even if his words were in anger. It meant that some part of him still cared. That he still tried. It would mean that he had actually listened to her words even if he didn’t agree with them.

The wolf howled her fury in Chloe’s mind. Chloe had to remind herself that there weren’t two entities living in the same body. She’d just dissociated herself with what she was now. She had to learn to integrate the desires and thoughts of the animal so that there wasn’t this pseudo second personality. At any rate, the wolf inside wanted Lex to acknowledge her and he wouldn’t.

Another two hours passed in uncomfortable silence. Both had been studiously avoiding talking with the other, preferring to work independently. Lex was having trouble concentrating and being in her presence and it almost made him miss something intriguing if not important.

He couldn’t help the sharp intake of breath. For all the time spent studying meteor rocks and how they affected people, he never truly stopped to simply consider them in an even broader context. Looking up from his computer, Lex noticed Chloe looking at him quizzically. Knowing that she was some kind of werewolf, his mind supplied the image of furry dog ears atop her head lifted in curiosity. He had to stifle the laugh because it was wildly inappropriate. Not to mention, she was dangerous and could kill him. Lex hated that it always came back to that and that there was nothing he could do. She was stronger than he was and it was insulting.

Lex realized that he had let the silence stretch too long. Her curiosity was becoming irritation. He cleared his throat, “Did you know that the United States government is issuing more subsidies to Smallville farmers?”

Chloe’s brows furrowed, “That isn’t exactly news. There was a Congressional bill addressing that issue. I can’t remember what it was called; but I think it passed. Why?”

Lex’s voice was slightly awed and it seemed like he was talking to himself, “It never occurred to me that there would be long reaching consequences. All this time…all of us…had been looking at the meteor rocks as if it was a closed system.”

“You’ve lost me, Lex. You’ve gone all cryptic and I’m not following.”

Lex refocused on her, “The government has been buying our meat products, feed, crops…anything agricultural.”

Chloe rolled her eyes, “Yes. Yes. Nothing new.” She made the get on with it motion with her hand.

He shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. She was too impatient, “None of it has hit the market. The products aren’t going anywhere. Not even Luthorcorp fertilizer. The trail just stops.”

That piqued her interest and she could finally see where Lex was going with this, “The government knows and they’re destroying it.”

Lex was a little taken aback that she had come to the conclusion so quickly. It had taken him several reports and a number of pages to be sure. “Yes. They have to know about the meteor rocks and what they can do. It’s the only reason such a wholesale destruction would happen.”

Chloe set her laptop on the couch and walked over to Lex. He had the files he was looking at open. She pushed his hand off the mouse and began scrolling through them. Lex tried to follow what she was doing, but he couldn’t. Half of her was draped over him and he was very conscious of that fact. The sound of a low growl ripped through the silence. It brought him back to what she was and what she was doing. Despite the fact that Chloe was currently maintaining a rumbling growl, it didn’t seem hostile. It was slightly soothing and he felt himself relax.

Lex dragged his mind away from contemplating what he was feeling to what Chloe was doing. She was scrolling way too quickly. There was no way she could be reading that quickly. It was impossible. Lex was in the process of saying something about it when the doors of his study abruptly opened. He realized that Chloe was about to say something before the intrusion.

It was an intrusion in the form of his fiancée. Lex could’ve let loose his own growl because it never failed. Lana always came at the most inopportune times. He watched her eyes narrow in irritation. She was usually so blank. “How could I have missed this?” Lex came to the conclusion that he had been deluding himself. He could disparage Lana all he wanted, but he still chose to be involved with her. It didn’t say anything good about his judgment or his common sense. He was disgusted with himself.

“I’ll have to speak with Mercy about this.”

Lana walked into the room to see Chloe all over Lex. He was so particular about his personal space and he was allowing her to invade it. It irritated her even more when Chloe didn’t even glance up to acknowledge her. It was infuriating.

She made sure to lace her voice with displeasure when she addressed Lex, “I wanted to remind you that I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow.”

Lana was quickly becoming angry. Chloe still hadn’t moved away from Lex; and she still wasn’t acknowledging her presence. She wouldn’t tolerate it anymore.

“Hey, Chloe.”

Chloe looked at Lex and closed the window she was viewing. She straightened and finally acknowledged Lana with an inclination of her head. Chloe knew the exact moment she entered the hallway to this office so her entrance was no surprise. In the back of her mind, she realized that this was a dominance play. She refused to acknowledge Lana until the moment she was ready. Lana wasn’t a threat and Chloe would never give such a thought validation.

Lana’s body was stiff in anger. Her nose flared and her eyes narrowed. Chloe came to the conclusion that Lana was angry. It had always amused her because her anger seemed…childish. It wasn’t the wrath of an adult; but that of a petulant adolescent. She could never understand why Clark seemed so cowed by it. Her instincts didn’t even incite Chloe to attempt to defend herself. Lana just wasn’t a threat to her.

Chloe realized that this was just more of the instincts in her, but she didn’t care. The moment she heard Lana mention her pregnancy she felt a slight sense of anger. Based on Lex’s comments and the way he was behaving, she didn’t think that he knew that Lana wasn’t pregnant, which meant something else was happening. She could be wrong. Lex was a very gifted liar.

Her gift of lie detection wasn’t error proof. She just made observations of what was normal and context clues. If a statement was subject to being a lie and heartbeat sped up or any number of biological changes happened, then she could be reasonably certain that the person was lying. She could only be sure that Lex hadn’t been lying when she attacked him because Lex wouldn’t make that lie. He’d obfuscate, he’d omit certain facts, or just not answer; but he wouldn’t tell a point blank lie like that. Being called on it was too easy. A blatant lie was also the quickest way to unravel a plan; and Lex was too savvy to make such a mistake.

Chloe reached into her pocket and removed her flash drive. She then put it into one of Lex’s USB ports and copied the files to her drive. Only after she finished did she look at Lana, “Hey, Lana. Sorry for the delayed reply. These files are engrossing.”

Chloe turned to Lex, “Call me later. There are some things we need to discuss.”

She didn’t wait for a reply before she began packing up her laptop. “Lana, I’ll see ya later. Tell me how the appointment goes. I want to see pictures.”

With that Chloe hurriedly left the office. She knew Lex was going to have to deal with a Lana sized tantrum. A part of her wished that she could witness it. The bigger part of her, however, realized that she had her own issues to deal with and the little bit of amusement wasn’t worth getting caught up in their drama; especially since she didn’t know what she was feeling. All the while, she had been reading over Lex, she had been conscious of him. He had smelled good. His own unique flavor beneath the cologne he wore was enticing. It was…alluring. Chloe was glad for the interruption because now she could ignore and shove those conflicting feelings aside.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Dreaming the Wolf, R, 05-17-08, Chapter 11

An awesome update!

Everyone must thank skauble in their review! She worked through the pain and she’s awesome!
    Thanks Sarah--this chapter was wonderful and I hope you aren't in any pain anymore

I love how Lex sees Chloe as his equal, and that he respects her cleverness and bravery, but he also realizes that she is physically stronger then he is--that has got to hurt his ego

All the while, she had been reading over Lex, she had been conscious of him. He had smelled good. His own unique flavor beneath the cologne he wore was enticing. It was…alluring. Chloe was glad for the interruption because now she could ignore and shove those conflicting feelings aside.
    Ah yes, Chloe is not immune to The Sexy I love how you are adding in their feelings of attraction for each other, along with their mutual admiration and respect.

Nicely done.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Great update. I just started reading this story and I really like it. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Thanks, Sarah for helping this chapter come to our greedy little hands.

I want to quote someting but I would have to quote the entire chapter. Love the insight into Lex's mind. Seeing how Lex sees Chloe and how her affliction has changed her. Mad at himself for not being able to best her and glad that his father wasn't able to best her as well.

Lana, Lana, Lana how I detest you!!!!!!! Every single description of her is spot on. She's is nothing but a petulant child that doesn't like it when she isn't the center of attention.

And of course my favorite part was the last bit. No one can escape the hotness that is Lex Luthor. You can shove it aside all you want Chloe it's going to come back and I'm betting stronger than ever.

Rocio

Awesome Chapter!!

I loved all of Lex's thoughts on Chloe... it's a little scary how well he knows her. (Lol) I also loved how Chloe's wolf wanted Lex to acknowledge her... and even Chloe can't resist Sexy Lexy! *grins*

Thank you Sarah and Ava for this wonderful chapter!!

Lex's analysis of Chloe was suburb, He admires her, he respects her, wants her approval, is intrigued and stimulated by her intellect and tightly controlled passions, he is aware that the new and improved wolf Chloe is not to be underestimated and that she could whoop his ass.

Chloe has respect for Lex's while at the same time is frustrated and angry with his dominance of other. She is aware that he can be an evil bastard, She wants his approval and him ignoring her cuts her.

Your analysis of characters drives and motivations, thought and feels is excellent. I'm loving that Chloe pissed off Lana, and I await the moment when Chloe can drop this bomb on her and or Lex. I wonder if we will get some Lex/Chloe " sexual healing" Dagney

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information