+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: In the Absence of a Hero *NC-17* Updated: Feb 28, 2009

Re: In the Absence of a Hero (Rated: R for now)

Clark is such an idoit, he just so stupid that I can't even hate him. I hope Lex gives him hell! I loved Chloe and Lex's drunken conversation about 'the many faults of Clark', and awww at the morning cuddlng. I absolutely love this ficcy!

Please update again soon!!!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: In the Absence of a Hero (Rated: R for now)

This chapter was very interesting because it provided a lot of details of the kind of boyfriend Clark is to all his partners… not only Lex, but also Chloe. And I have to say, I am very unimpressed! Why the heck did two intelligent, passionate, vivacious and engaging people like Chloe and Lex cling to a ungracious, inconsiderate dud like Clark?

“Least he makes you come,” Chloe pouted. “I always had to use my hand. Or his hand. He always finished before me.”

She counted the ways that Clark was much worse to her than to him. “And at least he went down on you, even if it’s been a month since it happened. I never got that. Let’s face it, I broke him in and you reaped the benefits.”
    Oh this was just SAD! I thought that Clark might have made up for a lot of his absent time by providing quality sex whenever he DOES happen to be there for his mates. Instead, he’s as bad when he’s present as when he’s absent. WHY did Chloe stick with this dud for so long? Especially since he refused to satisfy her?!

LOL! I did think it was amusing how Chloe was insisting that she ‘broke Clark in’ and eroded away some of his boring squeamishness when it came to being sexually adventurous, LOL!

“I could've convinced Mary faster than that,” he added. Then realized that she wouldn't know who he was talking about. “I mean The Mary, you know, Jesus' mother, not my housemaid, she wouldn't need convincing.”

It was a shame really, thinking that he'd put so much time and effort into this and in the end it wasn't worth it, because Clark was never there to do it anyway. Good or no good.
    Sheeesh! Now that is just sad! Poor Lex had to suffer through this ‘outraged virgin’ act for such a long time before he got some good nookie? I think it’s likely that he got drawn deeper into the relationship because it represented a challenge to him… a fun game about how far can he ‘corrupt’ the innocent farmboy? Only now, the challenge just isn’t worth it anymore, but he’s too deep in the relationship to pull out now. Poor Lex! Trapped in by his own competitive tendencies.

Lex blinked, then blinked some more. Processing the facts. It had taken him nearly a year to get to the point of first sex, but when confronted with Nev-er...

“Really, never? Not even once?”

Chloe shook her head and rolled onto her side to face him.

“Now that's just...rude.”

Really, there was no other word for it, at least, not right now. There was another long one. Inconsiderate. Right, it was that, too. But rude sounded better.

He brought one arm up and pushed it under his head so he could look at her comfortably while they talked.

“But I bet he had no problem with you giving him head, did he?”
    Oh Clark, you unbelievable bastard! HOW the hell did Chloe let him get away with this kind of double-standard behaviour? He took oral sex favours from her, but refused to return them? That is despicable sexual etiquette! Chloe self-esteem must have been unbelievably low to allow him to do that to her.

Lex barked out a laugh at that. “Are you kidding me?” Trying to get Clark to try out any other position than missionary was like trying to move a mule up a mountain when there was food at the bottom of it. “It took me a year to get him to have sex with me period. And the only two positions he accepts is the missionary and riding style.”

Not that he'd complained about it. For the first two years. But now that he thought about it, he should have complained. It was ridiculous and childish and prude and other things that he couldn't think of right now.
    Heh! It definitely sounds like Lex was having a lot of fun just seducing Clark as a high-competitive sports challenge. That would explain why he has been so lenient in indulging Clark’s narrow views on what’s ‘acceptable’ in sex and what’s ‘immorally kinky’.

Actually BOTH Chloe and Lex sound like they had been too lenient with Clark… letting the clueless farmboy run roughshod all over their own needs and desires, prioritizing HIS preferences above their own… because they were both convinced that he was the more ‘deserving one’ in their relationships. And Clark came to believe it too, which is why he didn’t try to change the status quo, or even realize his partners were unhappy.

Hmmm, it sounds like the relationship problems were as much Chloe’s and Lex’s fault as they were/are Clark’s. He just didn’t know better, or ‘learn’ better, because none of his partners ever complained.

“I know, your kind are so easy it’s not fair,” she said, gesturing in the vicinity of Lex’s crotch. “It’s like those water guns we had when we were kids. Pull a little and a stream comes out without fail.”

I fell over laughing at this description. Ain’t it the truth? LOL!

Lex scrunched his eyebrows together, trying to find a way to say 'It depends on the person' without saying 'It depends on the person'. Because it did totally depend on the person. “It's different, doing it with a guy, or a woman. It's not really something you can compare. I don't have a preference, that's why I'm bi. If I had a preference I'd go for that preference and stick with it, wouldn't I?”

And relationship wise, things were totally different too. There were just some issues that would never appear with a woman and vice versa stuff that would never come up with a guy. “And as for Clark's 'finesse',” he said with a shrug, “It's not like I fell in love with him because he's a great fuck.” He'd fallen in love because he was a moronic idiot who'd had a serious case of hero worship and blindness towards reality when it came to the boy with the sunny smile and puppy dog eyes.
    This was an interesting question from Chloe! I suppose I was also a little curious about this, and Lex gave a very reasonable, plausible answer too. Thanks for the clarification, BlueSabby.

“You ever believe him when he says he loves you?” Clark said it plenty with her. But more in a reassuring way. She’d heard it and accepted it but never really believed it. It almost seemed to her that they started dating because he’d given up on rejecting her advances.

It made sense now. Be with the safe girl that you didn’t really have any feelings for. Better than being with the guy that you did. In Clark’s world.
    This was just tragic! Poor Chloe! It explains a LOT about why she allowed Clark to be the selfishly dominant one in their relationship. Because she believed he was the more important one, while she was always only the side-kick… the one who gave more love than she got. I REALLY hope Chloe also gets a chance to rant and vent at Clark about the horrible boyfriend he was to her.

Chloe smiled at the irony of the whole thing. Their positions had been reversed. She’d gotten more of Clark’s time but always doubted the way that he felt. Their dates seemed perfunctory, like Clark was playing the role of the perfect boyfriend.

“And, you trust me on this one,” she said, catching Lex’s eye, “while it sucks to never see him, it sucks far worse to know he never loved you.”

Lex’s face changed, now etched with concern, a little bit of surprise, and oodles of pity. He opened his mouth. “Can we not do that? Not go through the whole song and dance of telling me I’m wrong. We both know it’s true.” She shrugged. “Just never said it before.”
    This was very interesting! It seems like Chloe got more time with Clark, but little emotional response and involvement from him… while Lex is a lot more secure about Clark’s emotional stake in him, but he’s not getting any bonding time. I really don’t know which situation is more pathetic, but I feel a ‘little’ bit more sorry for Chloe’s time with Clark.

He didn't argue her assertion that her situation had been 'worse' either. Mostly because there was no option of comparison on her part, being that she'd never been with someone who loved her but treated her like crap. She'd always gotten the 'no loving' end of the stick it seemed. Lex had been in both situations and could now say with conviction that they were both equally bad.
    heh, Lex is probably right! Both situations are equally pathetic, but he’s being very noble and diplomatic in not saying so. Chloe wants to indulge in a higher claim to fame in self-pity? Let her! LOL!

When Chloe had woken up, she’d felt excessively hot. She quickly figured out why. She was mooching some additional body heat off of Lex. He was on his back and she was semi-splayed over his chest. She smiled a little against his skin before raising her head up.
    This was very interesting! The two of them don’t even seem to realize how comfortably intimate they’re becoming with each other. The fact that they’re going to cheat on Clark seems inevitable now, and the two dunces probably won’t have any idea on how it happened, because it would have developed so slowly and naturally from where they are right now.

He moved around a little restlessly so Chloe pulled the blankets up on his body, trying to compensate for the warmth that he was now losing. She bent down and kissed his forehead before getting out of the bed.
    GACK! Can neither of them SEE how much they’re already acting like a couple? The two of them have already developed a ‘lover-like’ level of ease and comfort with each other. They’re already acting like lovers even if they haven’t yet ‘done the deed’.

She found Lex in the kitchen. Chloe had followed the smell of coffee. He was standing in front of the open fridge…wearing the shirt she’d rightfully stolen from him.

The shirt she’d stolen from him for now was a deep blue, business shirt. She’d always liked the way it looked on him.

Walking up behind him, she wrapped her arms around him and kissed his shoulder. “I was coming back to bed.” She turned her head and placed her cheek on his back. “You owe me some cuddling once we’re done here.”

Lex smirked and placed a hand over hers, noticing that she'd nicked yet another of his shirts. And not even a t-shirt this time. “You hungry?”
    Seriously, it’s almost creepy how much they’re acting like a comfortable, secure, snug and comfy married couple. It’s very interesting seeing how the loneliness inside both of them is setting them to act out domestic intimacy with each other, even of they’re not actually involved. Is it only a façade that they both are desperately (albeit subconsciously) clinging to? Or are they genuinely this much at ease with each other?

It WAS a lovely scene to watch… if only I could have forgotten that the whole beautiful domesticity of the scene screams of infidelity.

Listening to the every day noises of getting cups and plates out of cupboards, the shuffling of feet as she took the mugs and carried them into the living room. It hit Lex as he placed the pan on the stove and cracked the first egg how oddly domestic this all was. Just a completely normal start to a completely normal morning.

Except that it wasn't, because this situation wasn't normal for them. And it wasn't Chloe that should be in the living room with the coffee. It wasn't her that should be flicking on the TV to see if there was anything good on. She wasn't the one that was supposed to be curled up in his arms the whole night and wake up to demand more cuddling.

Lex shook the thought off and stirred the eggs in the pan. Those thoughts would just make him angry and morose again. And he didn't want to be angry and morose now. Not when things could be bright for just a while. Even if they weren't real.
    Heh, at least Lex has realized that this is only a façade of domestic closeness that he’s indulging in right now. His REAL partner is gone, so Chloe is being used as a substitute. Not to say that Chloe is a victim, because I think she’s also using Lex to fill a emotionally barren void in her life. SHE doesn’t really have a real relationship, and hasn’t had one in a long time (if ever), and using Lex while he’s alone and lonely must be very convenient for her.

What a depressing threesome these people make.

That was where they differed. Clark would come back and Lex would have him and she would have….nothing. Not even a cat.

Clark would always have Lex. He’d treat him like shit and misunderstand the man but Lex would stay. Because he loved Clark.
    There we are, CHLOE is also starting to realize how this pretty domestic closeness she’s enjoying is just a superficial façade until the Lex’s REAL partner comes back home again. I’m still not sure who to feel more sorry for… but I do know that Clark has one HELL of a ranting lecture coming to him. If only Lex can bring himself to voice some of the complaints that are ripping him up inside.

He finished his toast and set the plate on the table, then leaned back into the couch. Chloe used the chance to scoot closer and get the cuddles she'd demanded earlier. “Then again, you've already got me.”

Not really. That was her first reaction. She was still stuck on the whole ‘she had no one while everyone had someone else even if they were being neglected’ but she tried to ignore it again.

“I’d hardly call you a pet,” she said, sinking more against him. She wormed her arm between him and the couch so she was pressed against his side and continued to run her hand over his belly and chest.

Lex wrapped his arm around her and she pressed her face against his chest. She took a few long, deep breaths and closed her eyes as Lex’s hand stroked down her back.
    Awww, some of the reasons for this closeness might be twisted and nearly incestuous, but I think there is a genuine connection between the two of them. The question is whether it all about Clark, or is it something more?

His fingers played along her spine and Chloe grinned. Until something happened. She felt tingly. Those kind of tingles. The wrong kind.

She gulped and told her body to stop it. Lex was with Clark. She wasn’t here for random sex, she was here for petting and making Lex feel better.
    Heh, the connection is definitely edging towards infidelity. I wonder whether Chloe and Lex will be able to catch themselves in time before cheating on Clark. The right thing to do would be to break up with him first before falling into bed… but where’s the fun in doing the ‘right thing’? LOL!

Clark hadn't gotten much sleep, so he was still a little wired, but it was good to be home. He buzzed a kiss to Lex's mouth before he noticed Chloe on the couch. “Hey, Chloe.”

“Clark.” She returned with a nod.

He was still slightly miffed at what had happened during the night. The drunken call and accusations were not forgotten, but he'd have words about that later.
    HE’D have words?! HIM?! The mind boggles that Clark believes himself to be the wronged party in this situation. Chloe and Lex have gone overboard in spoiling Clark and making him feel like the privileged one in any relationship he happens to be. Clark has a VERY skewed sense of equality in a relationship. Let’s hope Lex and Chloe manage to set him straight so he can do better in his next match.

“God, it was horrible. So many people Lex, so much suffering.” Clark shook himself out of it. He had to push these things away when he was home or he'd go crazy. “Is there any coffee left?” Without waiting for an answer he rushed towards the kitchen.
    I understand that Clark must have had a traumatic night, and I get that he might need some ‘special treatment’ tonight to get over the horror of what he just went through… BUT I get the impression he feels entitled to ‘special treatment’ ALL the time. He’s become used to relationship where quality time with his partner is all about HIS needs, HIS fears and anxieties, HIS comfort and support. He just doesn’t have any consideration about what his partner wants.

Lex started to protest but she said, “I know you two need to talk. Call me if you need me. Promise?” Lex nodded.

Reaching up, she gave Lex a short but firm kiss. “Give him hell for me.” She smiled a little and then went back to the bedroom to put on her clothes and get herself home.
    It’s going to be interesting to see whether Lex can get his point across in the upcoming argument. Clark DOES need some special time-out tonight, and he’s probably even LESS in the mood than usual to listen about Lex’s needs (and neediness). I don’t think it’s going to be a pretty argument in the next chapter. Squeee! FUN! Let’s get to it then, LOL!

NS Full Member

Re: In the Absence of a Hero (Rated: R for now) Updated: 11th December 2007

A/N: Here is the domestic bliss at the Luthor/Kent household. Enjoy!
    A/N: Sabby: What she said. Plus, there's comfort food ahead...kinda..

Clark hadn’t realized how hungry he was until he’d seen the eggs in the kitchen. He was always forgetting to eat. Usually Lex reminded him to do so.

The man in question walked into the kitchen. “Chloe leave?” He’d thought he’d heard the front door open and close.

“Yes,” Lex said neutrally as he settled down at the kitchen table. His mood had taken a complete nosedive from the moment Clark stepped into the living room.

Silence reigned as Clark prepared himself a plate and sat down at the kitchen table to shovel food in his mouth like he hadn't eaten in days.

“Aren't you even going to ask?” Lex finally broke the silence with the snide remark.

“About?” Clark didn’t know what Lex was talking about. Yes, they’d fought last night but Lex had clearly been drunk. Lex didn’t have to apologize for that. Though, they would have to have a conversation about it.

Then he remembered what they’d been talking about. “Chloe? What about her?” Sure, she’d been in a shirt that clearly wasn’t hers. But, Lex and Chloe? Never.

“Honey, I know that you’d never cheat on me.” He drank some coffee and remarked, “Especially with her” before going back to his eggs.

Lex's jaw clenched, not only at the nonchalant tone, but also at the very dismissive way Clark spoke about Chloe. It was like he didn't think she was anyone worth noticing.

“And what exactly do you mean with that?”

His eyes narrowed and he started to feel the childish need to pick up Clark's plate and shove it in his face, eggs and all.

The blatant disregard that Clark was showing only served to strengthen his ire. Clark didn't even look up at him, just kept shoveling the damn food in his mouth.

“Come on, Lex, she’s not even your type.” He looked around on the counter and snagged the ketchup. “Even if you wanted to be with a woman again, it wouldn’t be Chloe.”

Why were they even talking about this?

“You like bombshells, remember?” He went through the visuals of the women that Lex had been with that he’d seen. Chloe didn’t compare. “I mean, yes, she’s cute and all, but hardly up to your standards.”

Besides, he’d been with her too. And there were unspoken rules about that. He looked up at Lex. He didn’t look happy at all. A joke would have to help.

“Plus, after me, you’d be no comparison, right?” He grinned over at Lex. “A girl always remembers her first.”

Lex's brows rose slowly, his lips pursing to hold in the automatic comeback. Oh, she hadn't forgotten, alright. Hard to forget something that utterly bad and dissatisfying.

“Right, how could I forget?”

It was obvious that Clark didn't think anyone could resist him, or move on once he'd decided to leave them behind.

He watched as Clark got up and brought the plate to the sink, getting himself a second cup of coffee. Lex's next words were spoken to his suit-clad back.

“Do you even care about what I said last night?”

Clark had thought a lot about it. When he could, his gifts made many demands on him. And he’d come to a conclusion. There was no need to fight about what Lex had said. Clark knew that he was probably sorry about it.

“Of course I care. But don’t worry,” he turned back to look at his boyfriend. “I know that you’d been drinking. You don’t have to apologize, babe.”

Apologize. Apologize? Lex stared him down without even blinking. He couldn't believe the audacity of that statement.

On second thought, he could believe it. That was the problem. He knew that Clark meant it, that he felt magnanimous for letting Lex 'get away' with it.

“Have you ever taken into consideration that I am not the one who has to apologize for this?”

Lex really wondered if Clark had even once, just for a moment, even a fleeting one, at least at one single point in this year long relationship, ever considered that he wasn't in the right. That he'd screwed up and badly, and that he needed to change himself to make things better.

Lex's eyes started itching from staring so hard without blinking. The edges of his vision were beginning to become hazy. All he could see was Clark's nonplussed expression as he looked back at him from the kitchen counter.

“You’re the one who called me in a drunken rage, why should I apologize for that?” Great, yet another fight. Clark wasn’t even sure why he came home anymore.

Lex clearly didn’t understand how stressful this was for him. He’d go off and save hundreds of people and they were grateful beyond compare. And then he had to come home to this?

He was sick of Lex snapping at him for no reason. “I wasn’t even here and you got mad at me. Did you ever think it was the drinking that is your problem and not me?”

Lex was out of his chair and in Clark's face before he even realized he'd moved. “Did you ever think that it is you who is causing me to drink? That you not being here is the fucking reason I get mad?”

At this moment, Lex wished that Clark was human so he could plant his fist in his stomach and make him feel it. The irony of it was that if Clark had been human, they wouldn't have this conversation in the first place.

“Fucking alien,” Lex spat at him and turned to leave the kitchen. He couldn't deal with this shit right now. Just...couldn't.

Clark glared at Lex’s retreating back, glad that he had control over his heat vision. He took a few steps and grabbed onto his arm. “I thought you wanted to talk about this. Don’t blame me for your drinking. We both know that it started long before you and I did.”

Lex spun around and Clark prepared himself to fight more. They needed to get this settled and get Lex some help.

Instead, Clark was momentarily stunned when Lex’s fist connected with his jaw. It didn’t hurt, but it surprised him, and he took a few steps back.

Lex was seething. “Don't fucking touch me.” He enunciated every word slowly and precisely.

Then he spun on his heel and stalked out of the kitchen. He needed a shower, and he needed to get dressed. Then he needed to...he needed. He didn't know yet but right now, he just couldn't deal with Clark and his oblivious, uncouth, emotionless, asshole behavior.

Yes, he had been drinking a lot in his younger years. Yes, he had also been drinking a lot in the last couple of years. But both fucking times, he'd had ample reason to fucking drown his problems in alcohol. And he wouldn't do it if Clark would finally get his head out of his ass and actually listen to what Lex had been trying to tell him for almost a year now.
    ~~
    After today, Clark wasn’t sure why he bothered coming home. Not if Lex was going to act this way. The problem was that he needed to leave again the next day. He’d come home early to see Lex. But that plan had bitten him in the ass.

Lex was already in bed, his back to Clark, but he wasn’t going to let that stop him. Lex had said something about their lack of sex when he’d been drunk. Clark had to admit that that was true. So, he’d show Lex that he still cared for him.

He shucked off his boxers and got into the bed. Lex’s light was already out and he turned his off, too.

Then, he slid over to Lex’s side and put a hand on his hip. He wasn’t usually into the dirty talk but it might help. Anything to get over this fight. “I want your cock in my mouth.” His hand went further down, its destination now obvious to both of them.

Lex's hand clamped down around Clark's wrist, squeezing as hard as he could without hurting his own fingers in the process. “Do you honestly think that a blowjob is going to fix what's wrong between us?”

He didn't turn around, consciously kept his back to Clark as a barrier between them. Thankfully, he'd stopped sleeping naked quite a while ago or Clark might have misunderstood it as an invitation to be fucked. “Clark, you haven't been home in two weeks. I have no idea when you're going to leave again, or for how long this time. You can't honestly think that's normal.”

His grip on Clark's wrist loosened a little, he didn't want to fight. He wanted to get through to his lover and maybe find a chance to fix this. Somehow.

“You knew that when you got into this,” Clark pointed out. He sounded like a broken record. He didn’t think this was fair. “My schedule is crazy and I can’t do anything about that.”

He sighed and rolled onto his back. “I wasn’t trying to fix what’s wrong. I was just trying to show you that I care.”

“You say that I’m never around and that I don’t touch you. Then, when I come home you pick a fight and don’t want me to touch you. It’s like I can’t win with you anymore, Lex.” He sighed again.

“Listen, let’s agree to not discuss this anymore today. I have to leave tomorrow but I should be back next week. We’ll sit down and get through this.” It seemed like a good proposal to him.

It seemed like he couldn't get through. Whenever he tried to discuss it, Clark found one reason or another to put the discussion off. This was just one in a long line of attempts to get through to him. “It's not about winning.” Lex was not ready to give up yet. “It's about realizing that something doesn't work and trying to do something about it.”

He turned around and looked down at Clark, trying to see the boy he'd fallen in love with. It was hard to manage when he looked at the firm lines and displeased set of jaw. The stubble on his face made him seem older than he really was. “Sex is not the solution to this problem. And if you ever listened to me you would know that.”

The fact that Clark had just told him that he'd be leaving again the next morning wasn't even surprising anymore. Lex had stopped hoping for more a while ago. It really was always the same. And Clark didn't ever notice what was wrong with the picture. Maybe if Lex spelled it out to him, one more time. “Do you really have to be gone for a week?” He paused for a moment before he continued, “I miss you when you're gone. It’s not just all the other people in the world who need you.”

“I miss you too, Lex.” He turned over and looked at him. “Maybe I don’t say it enough but I do.” Ok, so he could possibly communicate better. Chloe had harped on that, as well. “I can’t help that I’m going to be gone for a week.” There was a meeting amongst himself and the others like him that he couldn’t miss. He sighed. “It’s something that I have to do.” They were going to come up with a battle plan, of sorts.

“I know that you need me, too, but…” He trailed off. No one understood. “I’m here for a reason, Lex. I have to help people. It’s who I am. I can’t just give that up because my boyfriend is feeling a little lonely.”

A little lonely? How about a lot. “When's the last time you've been home for longer than two days in a row, Clark, do you even remember?”

Maybe he could get him to understand. If he just showed Clark how little he was actually there, maybe he would see what went wrong and learn to set priorities. “I'm not asking you to give up being who you are.” Even though I've given up pretty much everything to be with you, went unsaid. “I'm asking you to consider more carefully where you are really needed. I'm glad that the world has somebody like you, several somebodies in fact, who can jump in to the fray and help where human strength and technology isn't enough, but...”

They'd had this conversation before, as well, but he'd never gotten this far in it. Maybe there was hope after all. “We have police forces, firemen; our country has the fucking FEMA for catastrophes, and other countries have similar organizations. I could go on like this for an hour and still not be done with the list.”

He paused again, bracing himself for Clark's reaction to his next statement as he leaned up onto one arm. “Do you really think the world needs you to rush to the rescue for every fire, every flood, every mugging that happens when you're close enough to hear it? You know you can't save everybody, and nobody of sane mind would ask you to even try.”

Clark considered Lex’s question. Did he technically need to do all that he said? Probably not. But it was what drove Clark. It was why he was on Earth. His dad had made that very clear before he died.

Turning his back on his duty would be like spitting on his father’s grave, and he wouldn’t, couldn’t do that.

“I know that I can’t save everybody, Lex. But I have to try, don’t I?” He looked over at him. “It’s not just what I do, it’s a big part of who I am.”

He thought about what Lex had said. “But, maybe, I could talk to the others about…” He didn’t know what he’d say, though. Yes, I agree that the world is going to hell in a hand basket but my boyfriend is lonely and says I don’t touch him anymore. Clark didn’t think that would go over too well.

“I haven’t been home much,” he admitted. “After this summit, I promise you that I will stay here until we hash it out.”

Lex looked into Clark's eyes and it was all there, clear as day. He wouldn't talk to the others about cutting him some slack. It wasn't even 'the others' who were the reason that Clark went out and saved everyone from everything all the time. It was all Clark's own decision. He wanted it this way. Needed to be the all encompassing hero who saved the world single handedly.

In that moment, Lex knew. He reached out a hand and placed it on Clark's cheek. There was no reason to talk about this anymore. Not when it wouldn't change anything. A sad smile flicked at the corners of his mouth, but it was gone in an instant.

He tried to think of something to say. Something poignant and meaningful that would let Clark know that Lex got it now. That he understood what Clark would probably never realize.

Lex leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to Clark's mouth. To him it tasted like ashes.

“Goodnight, Clark.”

He turned his back on the hero and stared at the wall across from him. Listened until Clark's breathing changed and watched the curtains long enough to see the bright spots of artificial street light turned off and were replaced by the orange-red of the rising sun.

~~
    Clark had disappeared from the bed and the apartment before the room was fully bright.

Lex turned around and stared at the empty mattress for a moment before he forced himself to get up and make coffee. At seven, he called into work and told them he wouldn't be coming in. Around eight he watched the morning news, shaking his head of the footage caught of his boyfriend saving expensive art from a fire that had broken out in an Italian museum. Close to nine he settled down in his home office and did some paperwork until his eyes burned from staring at the computer screen.

It was two pm the next time he looked at his watch. Chloe would have ushered her last few fledglings out into the waiting arms of their parents by now.

Lex ambled into the living room and picked up the phone. Dialed her cellphone number by heart. She picked up after the third ring.

“Want me to pick you up from school today?” he asked without preamble.

She did own a car, but for some reason preferred to use the bus to get to work. Something about being less stressful than submitting herself to rush hour, better for her temper and healthier for the kids.

Chloe knew that things were bad. If Lex didn’t even say hello and pretend to be ok, well, it didn’t bode well. Neither did the fact that Clark had been on TV this morning.

That meant that he’d already been long gone this morning. Leaving Lex alone, again.

“Sure,” she said, making sure to keep her voice level. There were a few people around her at the moment. Other teachers that she didn’t want to hear her next few words.

Chloe smiled at them and waggled her fingers as she made her way quickly into the hallway and then her classroom.

“I’m sorry about Clark, Lex.” She sighed. “Anything that I can steal from the teacher’s lounge that’ll make you feel better? I saw some cupcakes earlier.”

Lex shook his head, ignoring her condolences in favor of her question. He didn't want to talk about it at the moment. “No, but thanks for asking.” He was already making his way towards the front door, grabbing his keys from the small side table. “If you're hungry we can go somewhere get lunch.”

He needed to be out of the apartment, at least for a while. Felt like a caged animal inside the walls. “I'm on my way now. The green Jaguar.”

Chloe worked at a prestigious private school, so classy cars weren't as rare there as they might have been in other parts of town. The Jaguar was also his comfort car. Comfort food had never done the trick for him.

“Ok, I’ll be waiting outside. Bye, Lex.” She hung up on him and looked at her watch. It would take Lex about fifteen minutes for him to get there. If she knew him as well as she thought she did, he probably wouldn’t have eaten yet.

She called a sushi place halfway between their apartments and made a reservation for them. She cleaned up her classroom for a few minutes, picking up stray crayons and wiping down the desks, and then picked up her bag and went outside.

Most of the teachers and students had already cleared out so there wasn’t much to worry about. It wasn’t that she was ashamed of her friendship with Lex. She just didn’t share all that much with her coworkers.

He pulled up in his car a few minutes later and she gave him a small smile as she climbed in and buckled up. He remained silent so she started to talk. “How does sushi sound?”
    ~~
    Lex picked up the small cup of sake and took another sip. “He basically accused me of being an alcoholic.”

He shook his head, wondering how Chloe managed to get him to talk without even having to prod. Maybe it was exactly the not prodding that brought him to speak every single time.

The sushi plates were nice, but he couldn't bring himself to eat more than three pieces. He wasn't hungry and sushi wasn't exactly the ideal thing to eat first thing in a day.

“So I told him flat out that he is the reason I drink in the first place, insulted him and tried to leave the room.”

Chloe whistled. That was the most confrontational Lex had ever been with Clark. She was so proud of him.

Tried to leave the room?” That didn’t sound all that promising. That indicated that he was not successful in leaving the room. She noticed that he wasn’t eating much. Only poking the rolls of food around on his plate.

“Try this one,” she said, placing a salmon roll on this plate. “He’s such a smug, self righteous..” She cut herself off. This wasn’t about Clark. It was about Lex. “Sorry, keep going.”

He sighed and poked at the salmon with his chopsticks. Picked up the soy sauce and drowned the little ball in the brown liquid. The resentment he should be feeling wasn't there. Not since last night. “He grabbed me by my arm and I turned around swinging. Socked him in the jaw, told him not to touch me and finally left the room.”

His fingers spun the little cup of sake on the spot. He didn't even want to drink anymore. Partly because he knew that he was drinking too much.

He pushed the cup away.

“We didn't talk for the rest of the day.”

Until Clark crawled into his bed to seduce him. Lex shook his head, pushing the thought away. He couldn't deal with it just yet. Not yet.

“Enough of me for now, tell me about your day?”

What he was really asking for was a stay of execution. Before he had to face what he'd just come to see last night.

Chloe was a pusher. She knew it. Would push people to do something, to talk to her, to face their fears. But she wouldn’t push Lex anymore. His body language could be read loud and clear. What he needed now was some stories about her kids.

“Well, Hunter cut off one of Bethany’s braids today. And that happened before 9am.” Lex smiled. He’d heard numerous stories about the little scamp already. “So I had to call both of their parents and find a mutually agreeable time for a parent teacher conference.”

She shook her head. “I really don’t know what I’m going to do with they boy. I know it’s because he’s smart and bored but he needs to get that you can’t go cutting people’s hair off to get attention.”

Sitting back in her chair she went on. “Then, Ribbets somehow got out of his tank.” He was the class frog. “And the kids were going nuts while I ran around the room to get the damn thing back without hurting it.”

“Jeffery,” he was a very sensitive kid, “insisted we take him to the nurse.” She smiled a little. “I swear, it’s a wonder that I don’t take that one home with me.” He was a cute little kid who was very serious but busted out with the greatest lines.

“He told me that if Ribbets needed a new organ, he’d be glad to give him part of one of his.”

“So, a pretty typical day, really.”

Lex chuckled at the stories, getting the vivid image of how things transpired in his mind. He could see Chloe's irritated expression as she chased after a tiny green frog and the 'trying not to laugh' face as she thanked Jeffery for offering organ parts to said frog.

“Admit it, you love your job.”

No one would have thought it as a future career for Chloe Sullivan, snooper by nature, but she'd decided to go into education and had found the job of her life in being an elementary school teacher. Lex had been perhaps the most surprised about that turn of events, but he'd also been the one to understand quickest. Some things just felt right, no matter how weird they seemed to everyone else around you.

He picked up one of the sushi peaces that wasn't drenched in soy sauce and stuck it in his mouth. Tuna, not bad.

“You could always suggest to little Hunter to seriously get into hair styling,” he said as he sat back in his chair. “That should scare him off trying to cut little Bethy’s braids.”

The kids were always good for a laugh. It seemed that all it took was to leave them to their own devices for a minute for them to come up with crazy shenanigans.

“I do love my job,” she admitted. She’d never considered herself a kid person. Still didn’t sometimes after a long day when all she wanted was one moment of peace, but she was good at it and it was fulfilling.

“And,” she said, pointing her chopstick at him, “that’s an excellent idea where Hunter is concerned.” She smiled over at him. “I should bring you in and see what he can do with that unruly mop of yours.”

Chloe picked up her water and scrutinized his head. “Really, Lex, you’ve got to use some product on it.”

Lex snorted and picked up his sake again. “I don't need any products. I don't even use conditioner but it's still shiny enough to blind people when I stand in direct sunlight.”

He gave her hair a scrutinizing gaze.

“Yours on the other hand…” He laced his statement with just enough doubt to be credible, furrowing his brows as he pretended to stare at something that was wrong with her hair.

She knew, knew, that he was trying to goad her. But she still couldn’t help but taking the bait. She hadn’t looked in a mirror in hours.

“What? Does it look bad? Oh my god, is there glue in it?”

Chloe looked around for the nearest reflective surface. They’d had arts and crafts and sometimes some of it stayed on her for a few hours. “It’s glitter, isn’t it?”

God, where was a mirror when you needed one?

When Lex started chuckling, she knew she’d been had. “You’re an ass,” she said, while throwing her napkin at his chest.

Lex caught the napkin and smirked at her. “And the finest one within the city limits if certain rumors are to be believed.”

There really was some glitter in her hair, but for Lex that didn't count as 'something wrong' anymore. Not since he'd seen her with glue, transparent paper in four different colors and some not further identifiable gooey pink substance in her hair. Glitter was relatively low on the 'mess scale'.

He picked another sushi roll from her plate, dipped it into the wasabi paste and stuck it in his mouth. The spicy taste blended perfectly with the fish and rice, giving it more flavor.

“Really?” She quirked an eyebrow at him. She made a big show of leaning over in her chair and looking at the body part parked on the chair.

“I’ll be sure to check it out as we leave, then. Maybe take a picture. I was running out of things to teach the kids and I’m sure this fits into our biology lesson somewhere.”

She was happy that his mood seemed to have improved. And he was eating, always a plus.

There’d be a fight later, though. When she had called ahead, she’d also given them her credit card number. This one was on her. Maybe if she set fire to something at the point that the bill should have come he wouldn’t notice.

Their green tea ice cream arrived at that time. This place was weird in the fact that they decided when you were ready for the next course. Her plate was empty so she didn’t mind.

She took a small bite of the dessert and gave it her approval. “I know you don’t like sweets but you have to try this,” she gestured at his bowl.

Lex arched a brow at the ice cream, wondering if he really wanted to taste a treat that was basically frozen tea with cream. Either that, or completely chemical.

“Just how sweet is it?” he asked as he poked his spoon into the quickly melting concoction.

Before she could answer, he lifted the spoon and stuck the small bite into his mouth.

It wasn't bad.

Just not necessarily very good either.

His mouth pursed up and he gestured towards her water as he swallowed. “May I?”

“Course,” she said, pushing the glass towards him. “Not like we haven’t swapped spit before.” Usually after school ended she spoke like whatever grade she had to watch while her kids napped and the aide looked after them. Today it had been seventh.

Lex almost choked on the water and she didn’t bother to hide her laughter. “Sorry, that’s what Timmy McCain said to Henry Jensen today because they apparently, and disgustingly, share a trumpet mouth piece.”

He made a face at that thought and took another sip from the water. “That...” He paused for another cough. “Is disgusting.”

And he couldn't remember that Chloe and he had ever swapped spit. At least not in the way the expression would lead one to think. Or imagine. Or paint in bright colors across his retinas complete with a rewind to two nights ago at the club when he'd watched her and Ian.

Lex shook his head to clear it of the thoughts, and hoped that the flare of heat he felt was not visible on his face.

“I don't think I ever talked like that when I was a kid. Then again, I probably said much worse things when I was out of it.”

Chloe nodded. “Yes, I think both of us became much more disrespectful in our teen years.” But they’d both snapped out of it, as well.

“Who would have thought that we’d both turn out to be such upstanding citizens?” She picked up her cup of sake and held it out towards him. “To us.”

Upstanding citizens was maybe taking it a bit far, but in general, he had to agree with her. Things could have turned out much worse. Especially where he was concerned. After all the shit he'd been through, he sometimes wondered how he'd escaped going completely insane.

With a smirk, Lex picked up his own cup and clinked it against hers. “To us.”

tbc

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

Nice lover's quarrel. It has so many good elements of real spousal arguments, but in the reverse. Who knew that Clark would be the one gone all the time and Lex playing the drunken wife. I love this story!

I'm so disgusting with how much of an asshole you've written Clark. Why lex would put up with it and also how he belittled Chloe. Lex needs to move out ASAP and leave dear Clark letter. dagney

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

I LOVED this chapter!!!!! Clark is such an ass. Hopefully Lex & Chloe can get together soon. Can't wait for more.

Mrs Dean Winchester Senior Member pipersmum's Avatar

Interesting idea for a story and I love what you have done with it so far. Clark really is an ass isn't he lol!! Looking forward to reading more

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

I was absolutely disgusted with Clark in this chapter… He seriously didn’t see ANYTHING that was wrong with his behaviour, and thought himself magnanimous for not making Lex grovel and apologise for the miserable, pitiful cry for help in the shape of a drunk-call. What an unbelievable ass!!!

And I was quite angry at Lex as well, for putting up with behaviour like this from someone in a committed relationship with him. Although I can understand how someone as needy, loyal, passionate and emotionally insecure as Lex would allow himself to be trapped in a relationship… even when he wasn’t given the kind of care and respect more partners deserve in an equal relationship. Hmmm, I can imagine it was these same qualities that kept Chloe tied to Clark, even when he was a clearly unsatisfying partner (physically as well as emotionally)

Then he remembered what they’d been talking about. “Chloe? What about her?” Sure, she’d been in a shirt that clearly wasn’t hers. But, Lex and Chloe? Never.

“Honey, I know that you’d never cheat on me.” He drank some coffee and remarked, “Especially with her” before going back to his eggs.

Lex's jaw clenched, not only at the nonchalant tone, but also at the very dismissive way Clark spoke about Chloe. It was like he didn't think she was anyone worth noticing.
    “You like bombshells, remember?” He went through the visuals of the women that Lex had been with that he’d seen. Chloe didn’t compare. “I mean, yes, she’s cute and all, but hardly up to your standards.”

Besides, he’d been with her too. And there were unspoken rules about that. He looked up at Lex. He didn’t look happy at all. A joke would have to help.

“Plus, after me, you’d be no comparison, right?” He grinned over at Lex. “A girl always remembers her first.”
    Oh My GOD! I was angry enough with the way Clark was dismissing Lex and whatever miseries the poor man was going through. But the way he dismissed Chloe? It made it LIVID with absolute, raging fury! At this moment, I really, REALLY wanted to grab Clark out from the screen and give him a pummelling… with a Kryptonite wrecking ball.

Who the HELL does he think he is to be judging Chloe worth, value and beauty?! How DARE he!?!? It’s even worse knowing that this is Chloe’s ex-boyfriend talking about her in such a dismissive, contemptuous manner, because it’s OBVIOUS that he doesn’t have any respect for her, and probably never did.

It was obvious that Clark didn't think anyone could resist him, or move on once he'd decided to leave them behind.
    It made me feel a ‘little’ better to know that Lex also felt a fraction of the indignation that I felt about Chloe being referred to in such a dismissive, contemptuous manner. It’s good to know that Chloe is actually appreciated by the more intelligent member of this partnership… the one with actual sense and good taste!

Clark had thought a lot about it. When he could, his gifts made many demands on him. And he’d come to a conclusion. There was no need to fight about what Lex had said. Clark knew that he was probably sorry about it.

“Of course I care. But don’t worry,” he turned back to look at his boyfriend. “I know that you’d been drinking. You don’t have to apologize, babe.”
    Babe? Where does Clark get off calling Lex Luthor a ‘babe’?! I know it can be a harmless term of affection, but I ALSO know that it can sometimes be used as a petty, demeaning term for a partner. Somehow, I got the sense it was the latter rather than the former with Clark… even if he was only doing it subconsciously. Especially since Clark seems like a completely selfish, self-obsessed, self-absorbed, oblivious, inconsiderate asshole in the way he handles all his relationships.

Lex really wondered if Clark had even once, just for a moment, even a fleeting one, at least at one single point in this year long relationship, ever considered that he wasn't in the right. That he'd screwed up and badly, and that he needed to change himself to make things better.
    heh, don’t count on it, Lex. But I liked the way Lex summed up so MANY things that was wrong in this relationship in this section. I think he’s driving himself towards an epiphany… FINALLY!

Clark glared at Lex’s retreating back, glad that he had control over his heat vision. He took a few steps and grabbed onto his arm. “I thought you wanted to talk about this. Don’t blame me for your drinking. We both know that it started long before you and I did.”
    I was really glad that Lex had pointed out that CLARK was the cause of, not only the drunk-phone call, but also Lex’s tendency to drink himself into a miserably stupor. I think this might be the first time Lex has actually confronted Clark about how unhappy and unsatisfied he is. But then I was enraged with Clark turning the situation in his favour so, in HIS view, he came out pure and virtuous, while Lex seemed like the drunken boyfriend who bothered his beloved with random calls in the middle of the working night. WHY doesn’t Clark just LISTEN?!?!

Instead, Clark was momentarily stunned when Lex’s fist connected with his jaw. It didn’t hurt, but it surprised him, and he took a few steps back.

Lex was seething. “Don't fucking touch me.” He enunciated every word slowly and precisely.
    Squeee! Lex hit him! Finally! Lex gave him what for! Granted, it didn’t hurt Clark even the tiniest bit like he deserved, but it was the point that mattered.

Then, he slid over to Lex’s side and put a hand on his hip. He wasn’t usually into the dirty talk but it might help. Anything to get over this fight. “I want your cock in my mouth.” His hand went further down, its destination now obvious to both of them.

Lex's hand clamped down around Clark's wrist, squeezing as hard as he could without hurting his own fingers in the process. “Do you honestly think that a blowjob is going to fix what's wrong between us?”

He didn't turn around, consciously kept his back to Clark as a barrier between them. Thankfully, he'd stopped sleeping naked quite a while ago or Clark might have misunderstood it as an invitation to be fucked. “Clark, you haven't been home in two weeks. I have no idea when you're going to leave again, or for how long this time. You can't honestly think that's normal.”
    It was at this point where my anger at Clark simply disappeared… NOT because I was turned into sentimental mush or anything… I was just so… sad… at both of them. Clark doesn’t ‘mean’ to be a bad boyfriend, but he truly doesn’t know any better, which is just tragic, because it means that not only will his partners suffer, but even Clark himself will probably never be able to enjoy a good, stable, secure relationship unless he understand what’s he doing wrong.

I think Lex has been sending Clark the wrong message all this time, being so lenient and compromising, that Clark has no idea what a stupid, bad boyfriend he’s actually being. It’s partially Lex’s (and before that, Chloe’s) fault for letting Clark develop these bad habits in the first place.

It seemed like he couldn't get through. Whenever he tried to discuss it, Clark found one reason or another to put the discussion off. This was just one in a long line of attempts to get through to him. “It's not about winning.” Lex was not ready to give up yet. “It's about realizing that something doesn't work and trying to do something about it.”

He turned around and looked down at Clark, trying to see the boy he'd fallen in love with. It was hard to manage when he looked at the firm lines and displeased set of jaw. The stubble on his face made him seem older than he really was. “Sex is not the solution to this problem. And if you ever listened to me you would know that.”
    I think it’s great that Lex is trying to tell Clark that the relationship is NOT working the way it is right now. Lex is actually being very mature and reasonable over here. And I KNOW that, of only Clark was paying attention, there could have been a chance to salvage this relationship. I can see that Lex genuinely loves Clark, and Lex is NOT the kind of person to quit on any kind of a relationship (friendship or love) unless there was outright betrayal from the friend or lover in question. So if ONLY Clark listens just now… he and Lex could still manage to salvage this whole thing…

Unfortunately, I think most of what Lex has said just now has either been ignored, or gone straight over Clark’s dimbulb head.

Maybe he could get him to understand. If he just showed Clark how little he was actually there, maybe he would see what went wrong and learn to set priorities. “I'm not asking you to give up being who you are.” Even though I've given up pretty much everything to be with you, went unsaid.
    heh, yet another example of the accommodating and overly-compromising precedent that Lex set that eventually led Clark into a habit of being a horrible, negligent boyfriend. Both Lex and Chloe were willing to compromise and give up everything to make Clark happy, which led him to believe he was worth any sacrifice as long as he paid a token amount of affection in return. All three of them were idiots!

He thought about what Lex had said. “But, maybe, I could talk to the others about…” He didn’t know what he’d say, though. Yes, I agree that the world is going to hell in a hand basket but my boyfriend is lonely and says I don’t touch him anymore. Clark didn’t think that would go over too well.

“I haven’t been home much,” he admitted. “After this summit, I promise you that I will stay here until we hash it out.”

Lex looked into Clark's eyes and it was all there, clear as day. He wouldn't talk to the others about cutting him some slack. It wasn't even 'the others' who were the reason that Clark went out and saved everyone from everything all the time. It was all Clark's own decision. He wanted it this way. Needed to be the all encompassing hero who saved the world single handedly.
    Hmmm, Lex raised some good points over here about how Clark ‘could’ tone back the super-heroing a little bit. After all, there are plenty of other people and institutions created to also ‘save people’. SO Clark ‘could’ take some time out from patrolling for petty criminal activities in the areas that are already covered by other life-saving forces. Personally, I think another good solution would have been for Clark to have cut down on his hours at the Daily Planet.

Lex was basically asking Clark to re-prioritize a little bit… To spend a little more time on his personal life and boyfriend. He was asking Clark to ALSO bend his schedule a little bit after Lex has rearranged his whole life for Clark’s benefit.

But Clark was simply not willing to consider doing that. Perhaps he didn’t realize the perilous danger he was in of losing Lex, but I also think it’s likely that he wouldn’t have compromised even IF Lex had given him an ultimatum.

In that moment, Lex knew. He reached out a hand and placed it on Clark's cheek. There was no reason to talk about this anymore. Not when it wouldn't change anything. A sad smile flicked at the corners of his mouth, but it was gone in an instant.

He tried to think of something to say. Something poignant and meaningful that would let Clark know that Lex got it now. That he understood what Clark would probably never realize.

Lex leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to Clark's mouth. To him it tasted like ashes.

“Goodnight, Clark.”
    oh GOOD! Finally Lex has realized that Clark is not willing to change, and he has finally acknowledged that he is NOT going to be happy being taken for granted. He’s finally realized that he’s reached his limits, and that he’s not going to allow himself to be stretched any further. EXCELLENT!

It was rather sad seeing Lex wishing Clark goodbye, and I really wish he had made it clear to Clark on what was going on in his mind. It doesn’t seem right that Clark shouldn’t know. But then again, perhaps it’s fitting that Clark should be as oblivious to THIS as he is to everything else about Lex…

Chloe knew that things were bad. If Lex didn’t even say hello and pretend to be ok, well, it didn’t bode well. Neither did the fact that Clark had been on TV this morning.

That meant that he’d already been long gone this morning. Leaving Lex alone, again.
    It’s a good thing Lex has Chloe to help him through this trying time in his life. Even if it was HIS idea to break up with Clark, I imagine Lex is going to need a lot of comfort and support after that.

Heh, and Chloe is a school teacher? Wasn’t THAT a complete shock? But it seems like she’s happy in her life.

“So I told him flat out that he is the reason I drink in the first place, insulted him and tried to leave the room.”

Chloe whistled. That was the most confrontational Lex had ever been with Clark. She was so proud of him.
    ‘This’ was the most confrontation Lex has ever given Clark? No wonder Clark turned into such an ass in the face of all this accommodating doormat-like behaviour. I was also please, just like Chloe, about Lex finally taking a step which has obviously been a long time coming.

Chloe was a pusher. She knew it. Would push people to do something, to talk to her, to face their fears. But she wouldn’t push Lex anymore. His body language could be read loud and clear. What he needed now was some stories about her kids.
    awww, Chloe really IS a good friend to Lex. Only a good, close friend would be sensitive to their companion’s moods like this, and be able to adapt their behaviour accordingly. Lex is really lucky that Chloe chose to ‘pity’ him rather than resent him when Clark switched his dubiously devoted attentions from her to Lex, LOL!

Lex chuckled at the stories, getting the vivid image of how things transpired in his mind. He could see Chloe's irritated expression as she chased after a tiny green frog and the 'trying not to laugh' face as she thanked Jeffery for offering organ parts to said frog.

“Admit it, you love your job.”

No one would have thought it as a future career for Chloe Sullivan, snooper by nature, but she'd decided to go into education and had found the job of her life in being an elementary school teacher. Lex had been perhaps the most surprised about that turn of events, but he'd also been the one to understand quickest. Some things just felt right, no matter how weird they seemed to everyone else around you.
    LOL! I enjoyed all those silly stories of one of Chloe’s ‘normal’ days of work. It’s fantastic to see that she takes joy and delight in her job. Even if it IS a surprising and unexpected career path she’s chosen for herself, it suits her.

Heh, and it’s also pleasant to see Lex also enjoying her job through her stories about her workday. It just goes to show how WELL they’re going to get along together once they realize that they are perfect for each other.

“What? Does it look bad? Oh my god, is there glue in it?”

Chloe looked around for the nearest reflective surface. They’d had arts and crafts and sometimes some of it stayed on her for a few hours. “It’s glitter, isn’t it?”

God, where was a mirror when you needed one?

When Lex started chuckling, she knew she’d been had. “You’re an ass,” she said, while throwing her napkin at his chest.

Lex caught the napkin and smirked at her. “And the finest one within the city limits if certain rumors are to be believed.”

There really was some glitter in her hair, but for Lex that didn't count as 'something wrong' anymore. Not since he'd seen her with glue, transparent paper in four different colors and some not further identifiable gooey pink substance in her hair. Glitter was relatively low on the 'mess scale'.
    ROTFL! Oh you silly, SILLY little boy, Lex! LOL! I don’t think Lex has had a chance to tease and play with Clark in this light-hearted manner in a long time, but it’s good to see that all the spirit hasn’t been deadened in him from lack of use… Thank heavens Chloe stuck around to ‘save Lex’ before he died inside from neglect.

And he couldn't remember that Chloe and he had ever swapped spit. At least not in the way the expression would lead one to think. Or imagine. Or paint in bright colors across his retinas complete with a rewind to two nights ago at the club when he'd watched her and Ian.
    heee Now THAT was an excellent visual to put in Lex’s head… something to start leading him down the path of seriously considering Chloe in the relations of lover as well as friend, LOL!

Upstanding citizens was maybe taking it a bit far, but in general, he had to agree with her. Things could have turned out much worse. Especially where he was concerned. After all the shit he'd been through, he sometimes wondered how he'd escaped going completely insane.

With a smirk, Lex picked up his own cup and clinked it against hers. “To us.”
    ROTFLMAO! I wonder if Lex realized that he answered his own question over here about how he escaped from going completely dead and/or insane from his horrible, trying relationship with Clark… It was all due to Chloe of course. It was Chloe’s care, concern and diligent attention that kept Lex from either withering away, or going bonkers. It would be NICE to see Lex finally acknowledge how Chloe has ‘saved him’ from Clark, LOL! it would be even nicer if Lex told Clark that, ROTFL!

This was a fun chapter, filled with lots of interesting insights and hateful details about the Clex relationship. I can’t imagine that Clark is enjoying this kind of a relationship any more than Lex is… how ‘could’ he enjoy being a part of such a passion-devoid partnership? But at least Clark is not as actively unhappy and miserable as Lex because Clark is oblivious and just doesn’t know any better about how things ‘could’ or ‘should’ be.

I honestly hope that Clark does learn better and become a man capable of enjoying a loving and equal partnership with another person. Of course I want Lex to break up with him and run into Chloe arms first, but it would be nice to know that Clark could also have a chance of realizing the error of his ways and forming a satisfactory, fulfilling relationship of his own… someday.

NS Full Member

A/N: Sabby: Here is were things start to get tricky..on top of complicated with a bit of difficult thrown in the mix.

A/N: Blue: I really couldn't say it any better...so I won't. Enjoy

Thankfully, they’d gotten out of the restaurant without much fanfare. When Lex had started looking around for a waitress so they could get their check, Chloe had explained what would happen. They would get up and leave because she’d already taken care of it. He would not freak out. He would also let her drive the pretty green car because he’d promised her that the last time. Plus, he was slightly tipsy.

The sake must have gotten to him because Lex barely put up a fight on either front.

Chloe carefully drove the car to Lex’s place. They’d flipped a coin to decide where they’d spend the next few hours. If she decided it was best for her to go home, a very long shot she thought, then a cab could come and fetch her.

Once back in Lex’s place, Chloe had kicked off her shoes and Lex had gone to change out of his ‘fancy pants’ clothes as she liked to call them.

She was sitting on the couch, looking through one of Lex’s newest history books, when he returned. She hoped that he wouldn’t comment that she didn’t speak Greek and, therefore, was stupid for continuing to look at said book. But, it did have amazing lithographs.

Lex finished tying the drawstrings on his sweatpants as he stepped closer to the couch. He arched an eyebrow at the book she'd pulled out of one of the boards and flopped down beside her.

“There's a nice one picturing Perseus killing Medusa. A little further in the back.”

He hadn't really read the book. He knew all the myths and legends inside it, but his ancient Greek was nowhere good enough to get through the texts without a dictionary.

Lex leaned back into the cushions and put his bare feet up on the coffee table, getting comfortable. It still didn't feel quite right being back here. He wished he could have avoided the apartment for longer. Just looking in the direction of the kitchen brought back the fight from yesterday. And being in the bedroom could have seriously warped his mind if he hadn't ignored the bed with all his might.

Chloe carefully flipped through the pages until she came to the picture he was talking about. It had a great deal of detail and was rather impressive. “I was always more interested in Prometheus,” she remarked. They had a lot in common. Getting into trouble for helping others, for example.

She looked over at Lex and smiled. “Nice outfit.” She cocked her head to the side, “You still wearing my shirt?”

People probably thought that Lex dressed in a suit all of the time but he was just as human as everyone else. When he wanted a good wallow, he dressed in sweats.

“Too bad about that whole liver and eagle thing, though,” she said, scrunching up her nose as she found that particular picture in the book. “Ugh.”

Lex smiled ruefully, looking at the picture she showed to him. “That's the thing with heroes,” he said slowly, “it's always a tragedy, and there's never a happy ending.”

His gaze turned to the blank screen of the TV. The thought he'd been trying to push away since he'd left the bed this morning was back with a vengeance. And Chloe had stuck his nose in it without even meaning to.

He shook his head, trying to put his thoughts into a coherent sentence that would explain it to her. Knew it was time to face the music. “The ironic thing is that I didn't get it. I read every single one of these stories and I still didn't make the connection.”

The smirk on his face felt stretched, like it didn't belong there. “Not until last night.”

“Hey,” she slid over a little and put a hand on his thigh, “it doesn’t always have to end like that.” They were no longer talking about fairy tales and myths.

He laughed but there was no humor in the gesture. Chloe knew that she was reversing herself but she couldn’t help it. She didn’t want to see Lex like this. Maybe Clark could change for him. Maybe if he really tried….

“Not everything has to be a tragedy, Lex.” But they both knew that Clark couldn’t change. They knew it deep down.

“Even if the hero,” she rolled her eyes, “suffers, it doesn’t mean that those around him have to.” Lex snorted and she couldn’t blame him. He already was suffering.

“You can change all of it. Your life is yours.” She tried to catch his eye but he was looking up at the ceiling. “He can be gotten over, Lex. Trust me on that one. I would do a lot for you, but I wouldn’t lie about this to make you feel better. It hurts like hell but you’ll come out on the other side. I’ll help you.”

She took his hand and squeezed it for a moment before letting go. Chloe wasn’t sure what Lex needed or wanted from her and until she got a clear sign, she’d hang back.

“I know,” he said.

And he did know. Except that knowing didn't change much of anything. It just made thing all the more sad.

Last night when he'd had that last talk with Clark, it had all come together and he'd tried to push it away, but that wasn't possible. Not when it was shoved so blindingly in your face that you were standing against all odds. Clark was nothing if not a hero, and he lived to save the world. He always would and nothing could change that. Not even love.

And the bloody fucking kicker about it was that Clark didn't even realize his fate. Not as long as Lex was still there to come home to. Not as long as this pretense of a relationship was still existent. Lex would have to be the one to show Clark his tragic destiny by making the decision to walk away. To save himself, he'd have to sacrifice the hero. It was enough to crack a man's head.

Lex started to laugh. It was either that or break out in tears, so laughing it was.

“Why does it all have to be such a fucking drama?” he asked between gales of hysteric laughter.

He shook his head, still laughing. “Why the fuck couldn't I get the fairy tale instead of the goddamn heroic tragedy?”

Chloe stared at Lex. For the first time in all of this she wasn’t just worried about Lex, she was scared for him. He was very close to some sort of breakdown, that much was clear to her.

She ran her hand over his back and spoke quietly to him. “Life’s not a fairy tale. Never has been, never will be. No one gets a Prince Charming that sweeps them off their feet. You get some guy who you love and try not to kill when he does or says something dumb. As long as he tries to change, and you do to, you stay with him.”

“Losing Clark will not be the defining moment in your life,” she said, strongly. She wouldn’t let it be. Lex was more than one boyfriend. More than one fucked up relationship. “You’ve got a ton more messed up relationships to look forward to,” she said, ruefully. “Until you find one that works. One that doesn’t turn you into this.”

It was one thing to be vulnerable and open and quite another to define your whole life as tragic just because of Clark.

“I wish I could promise you that things will get easier if you decide to leave him. That he won’t turn this around to you being the bad guy because you can’t possibly understand how hard it is to be him.” Chloe was ashamed to hear the venom in her voice when she spoke. But Clark had used that line on her, even back in Smallville, so she was positive that Lex had heard it a million times.

“But, you either live with knowing the real reason you left him while he sees it as selfishness or you stay with him for the wrong reasons. It’s a bitch of a choice.” She said the last part almost to herself. She didn’t envy Lex one bit.

“You know I’ll be here, whatever you choose.” Chloe felt she needed to make that clear. She’d done so much bitching about Clark that it was clear where she stood. But, it was Lex’s life, not hers.

Lex stared at the ceiling for another moment, wondering what he was going to be. He was well aware of the consequences of either choice. Neither looked the least bit attractive right now.

“A bitch of a choice I'm not going to make today.”

Lex got up from the couch, decision to not decide firmly made, and headed towards the kitchen. He was just not going to think about much of anything for the rest of the day. Not as long as he could distract himself with Chloe and other things.

He pulled out the paper baggy and tossed it in the microwave, then pushed the button to start it.

“Do you still like it salty with lots of butter?” he called back into the living room.

Chloe looked off in the direction that Lex had disappeared and raised her voice, “The more heart attack inducing, the better.” She sighed and then got up herself.

If they were going to watch a movie, that was the only time that Lex broke out the popcorn, they needed a blanket. Unless the mercury read over 80, she never went without one for that particular activity.

As she made her way down the hall, she looked at the walls and into the various rooms. She could never figure out who had decorated this place. It didn’t look much like Clark or Lex. Maybe they’d compromised?

Opening the closet, she looked at her choices. It had to be big enough for two and so not thick…ah, there, perfect. Of course the damn thing was on the top shelf, though. She refused to ask Lex for help so she spent another minute fixing the closet before closing it.

Her clothes would have to go, too. Not all of them but she couldn’t sprawl out and get totally comfy in her work stuff. She wandered further down the hall and back into Lex’s bedroom. She shook her head. Lex and Clark’s bedroom.

Now that she knew where Lex’s clothes were, she went straight there. She found an appropriate t-shirt from a fancy gallery that Lex had invested in years ago, but nothing for her bottom, literally.

Huffing in Lex’s bedroom in a t-shirt and panties, she walked over to a dresser, how many places for clothes did these men need?, and finally found a pair of sweats.

After putting her bra, skirt and blouse on a chair and grabbing the blanket, she made her way back to the living room.

Lex was already on the couch again, big bowl of popcorn, a bottle of soda and two glasses on the table, waiting for Chloe. He'd figured she'd scampered off to find herself a 'movie blankie', but his brows rose as his eyes fell on her.

She'd raided his closet, again, and his dresser, apparently. The shirt was old, a bit frayed at all ends, but probably the softest cotton you could get. There'd been a print on it once upon a time, but that was hardly visible anymore thanks to a million and one times in the washer. She'd also found his old pair of running sweats. They were about half a mile to long in her ankles, but she made it look kinda cute.

“Love the outfit, would buy it myself...Oh wait, I forgot it is mine.”

He grinned as she rolled her eyes at him and moved over to plan her nest on the couch. “Thief,” he accused with a smile.

The smile softened further when he noticed she was including him in her blanket nest making.

“You’re just jealous that you can’t fit into any of my super cute outfits,” she grumbled good naturedly. Lex had given up trying to discourage her from going through his things and taking what she liked. She couldn’t remember the last time he’d reproached her for that. Or when he’d stopped doing that. Amazing, when you thought about it. A Luthor not caring that a former reporter was loose in his place.

Chloe got herself properly settled, making sure her butt was in just the right place so she could tuck her feet under her and lean against Lex, and then snapped the blanket out in front of them twice before letting it fall over both of them.

Then she realized something. “Please tell me the movie is already in or ordered or whatever.” She was already pretty comfortable and hated to move again. Lex called her the laziest person on the face of the planet once she was settled in one spot or another. He’d caught her using an old curtain rod to change the channel on her TV when she couldn’t find the remote.

“Don't worry, I got us covered, sloth.”

Lex leaned forward to grab the remote and the popcorn bowl. He placed the latter in her lap leaving his arm around her once it was settled securely. Huh, now that was a smooth move, why hadn't he thought of that one when he was sixteen and trying to make a pass at Hillary Stevenson?

The remote in the other hand controlled the TV, DVD player and surround system. A very handy little thing, and so much better than a curtain rod. He pushed a few buttons and the Paramount stars came floating towards the mountain.

“I thought we could do with some humor,” he said as the first strains of rock music picked up with the opening credits.

“Amen to that,” she muttered as she eased further into Lex’s body. He smelled good and felt warm and safe. Chloe wished that all of her relationships could be like that. But her men weren’t Lex. Not a friend that she knew she could trust and let her guard down with and for.

She smiled when she saw what movie it was. Giggling, she put on a pouty voice and said, “You mean we’re not in the band.” The kid that said that line was very cute. And how apropos that Lex would pick a movie dealing with a ‘teacher’ that had unorthodox methods. She’d been taken to task for that when she’d first started at her current position.

Jack Black jumped across the stage like a freak and dove into the crowd…being promptly caught by no one. Chloe snagged some popcorn from the bowl in her lap. “Excellent choice,” she said around the popcorn.

Lex chuckled at the poor guy, knowing he'd deal with a lot of shit during the movie. But there'd be lots of laughs and a happy end, so it was funny. “I like the part with the groupies. And the little chick that ends up being the manager. Annoying as fuck, but she's got guts.”

He relaxed into the cushions and put his feet back up on the table. His fingers started aimlessly stroking back and forth over the fabric of the t-shirt where his hand was. Chloe had dead aim when it came to stealing his favorites. At least she always gave them back.

Pavlov proved that a stimulus was the key to a reaction. Didn’t matter if the food was there or not, the bell set you off. So, it didn’t matter that it was someone else’s boyfriend now stroking the skin at her hip, she was reacting to the touch.

Chloe told her body to calm down a little. It was only Lex who had started to move his hand aimlessly over her body. So what if his skin sometimes rubbed against hers under the shirt?

She took a breath and said, “Joan Cusack is a goddess.” Sure, she wasn’t on screen yet but that didn’t mean it wasn’t true.

Once she got used to the warm hand on her, it wasn’t an issue.

Lex hummed in approval. “Great actress. And she's hot in an eccentric way. Best movies are those where you get both Cusacks for the price of one.”

He moved his other hand to get some popcorn, shifting a little so he didn't squish Chloe while he was at it. Lots of butter wasn't his favorite thing, but he could live with it. At least they liked the same variety. Clark had acted like a five year old when he'd been presented with a bowl and noticed too late that it wasn't sugary popcorn.

“I thought she did a great job when all those angry parents were screaming and ranting at her and she just tried to stay polite and friendly until she fled the room.”

He munched on the popcorn and watched as Joan finally made her first appearance, making a very prim and proper impression during her first chat with Jack Black. “Of course my favorite is still the part where she's drunk and going off to Stevie Nicks.”

When Lex had moved to get closer to the bowl, he’d also moved her closer to him. Now, his wrist rested on her hip and the center of the palm of his hand was about two inches away from her belly button. His whole hand was placed on her stomach and she could feel her skin contact his every time she breathed.

It took some getting used to but once she did, she enjoyed the contact. Chloe knew that Lex wasn’t coming on to her, that he probably didn’t even realize he’d done it. That made her happy. He was usually always so concerned with etiquette and crap like that.

“You just like laughing at drunk people, admit it.” But that was a very entertaining part of the movie.

“I still love the glam rock outfits the fashion kid makes.” She chuckled warmly as she remembered the look on Jack Black’s face. Chloe leaned her face against Lex’s chest. This was nice. Hearing his breathing as she was warm, eating popcorn and happy. It was a sort of cocoon that she didn’t want to leave.

Lex chuckled before he cleared his throat and tried to fake the voice of the boy. “It's glitter rock, and it's glam, and it's fabulous!” His voice dropped back to its normal pitch. “How to hit the gay stereo type in one sentence.”

As Chloe started to giggle, he noticed that his hand had slipped under the shirt at some point in time. He wondered if he should ask if that was okay. But then, if it wasn't okay, she would have said something. And it wasn't like he was trying...anything.

He grabbed for more popcorn and laughed as Jack Black started handing out tasks. “Oh, here comes the groupie part.”

Chloe made sure that she was quiet for the next few minutes. The shot of Jack Black’s character saying ‘groupie’ followed by the shot of the innocent girls was too good for words. As were the nicknames “fancy pants” and “Turkey sub.”

Her hand that had been previously engaged in snagging popcorn out of the bowl started to run across his belly. Turn about was fair play, of course. She hoped he didn’t mind getting butter over his shirt. Whatever, she’d offer to wash it. Later.

“The kids were so well cast in this movie,” she commented. “And most of them could actually play their instruments.” She nestled her head against Lex and turned her nose into his chest before taking a deep breath. He always smelled so good. She wondered what kind of soap or body wash he used.

Lex's muscles tensed in reflex to the touching and sniffing. “Should I hand you a rolled up twenty?”

He grinned when she stopped sniffing to look up at him. “Since you're obviously trying to inhale me.”

Not that he really minded, it was just a tad bit weird. The grin grew a few more teeth as a thought came to mind. Retaliation was sweet.

He used the arm around her to keep her in place and moved his other hand to hold on to her head as he went in for the kill. Or sniff as the case may be.

Sticking his nose in her hair, he started snuffling exaggeratedly, making his way from the side of her head down to her neck as she squeaked indignantly and tried to fight him off. With all the squealing and tussling going on it took a while for him to actually register the smell.

He took one last extended sniff before he pulled back.

Chloe was red in the face and her hair was completely mussed. Lex had a hard time not laughing at the picture she made. “Nice, coconut?”

She harrumphed at him as she tried to get herself smoothed out again. Both physically and mentally.

While she had seen this side of Lex numerous times, it was always a little…a little…a little something that made her melt and tense up at the same time. She couldn’t put her finger on it.

But, he was smiling that smile so she’d forgive him anything and everything. That knowledge would have scared her badly if she didn’t trust Lex implicitly.

“Yes, it is, Mr. I Violently Smell People Without Their Written Permission and Will Now be Sued.” She decided that being ridiculous would help Lex’s mood. He immediately started laughing. She knew that he would point out that she had started it. But that was hardly the point. Besides…

“I was just delicately sniffing you because you always smell good. It was an involuntary thing. I am a lady and, therefore, would never assault someone like you did.” Very primly, she finished, “I will now accept your apology.” She looked up at him and waited.

It took a moment to stop laughing before he caught the look on her face that meant she was waiting for something. Like an apology, which was not going to happen. “You're the one who got yourself into this, so don't expect me to say sorry. Predators don't say 'sorry' to their prey.”

He knew she wasn't really mad at him, so it didn't matter if he refused to give the apology she was looking for. “Thanks for the compliment though, and same goes for you. Coconut suits you.”

He sniffed again, more gently this time. “Except I'm starting to get the craving for a pina colada.”

Lex leaned back and tucked Chloe's head back under his chin. “You're not helping my alcohol problem at all.”

The bowl had shifted and Chloe was surprised that it hadn’t fallen off of her body yet. She leaned away from Lex and, after a moment, he let her go. Once it was on the coffee table, she took up her previous position, Lex’s head and arms returning to where they were before.

Chloe wanted to tell Lex that his problem wasn’t her. But that would bring Clark back into the room. And that wouldn’t do at all.

She ran her left hand up his chest until it rested over his heart. She thought about what they could put in their systems in place of the alcohol. They’d already had something from the overly salty and buttery group. She’d suggest some ice cream but he probably didn’t have any in the apartment.
    “Fine,” she huffed while smiling, “I’ll make a note to smell less appealing the next time we meet.” She drummed her fingers on his chest. “What do you prefer, land fill or rotting meat?”

“Neither,” he said with sincerity, having gotten to know both smells intimately at one point or another.

The smell wasn't really a problem. He liked the coconut on her, but it really did give him a craving for pina colada, or maybe a coconut crème pie, or...something other to eat or drink that had coconut in it.

“But you could use that other one.”

He remembered one night when she'd come to him and snuggled up. Could have been the first time, but he didn't remember if it was. Could have been any of the times since she'd started getting close, really. In any case, that one night he'd caught a whiff of something really nice. “Kind of nutty and flowery at the same time. Smelled really good.”

Of course he had no clue which one it was, or if she even still had the bottle of that. A mental image of sniffing through all of Chloe's perfume and lotion bottles whisked through his mind and made him chuckle. “Any chance you remember which one that was?”

She grinned up at Lex before she snuggled closer to him. The man was so, well, dear sometimes. Remembering how she smelled? If he wasn’t gay and in a relationship, she’d be so dead. Bi, she reminded herself, he’s bi.

Chloe tried to think about her various perfume purchases over the past few months. If he’d been close enough to smell it, it had to be bought in that time span. She had this perfume, one other that didn’t fit the description and a rancid one that Lois had gotten her as a joke.

That left either shampoo or lotion. “I think I know which one you mean,” she said. She remembered the bottle but not the name. “It’s a lotion but I don’t know the name off hand. Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to slather it on when I come over the next time.”

Lex smiled back and sunk a bit deeper into the cushions. “Good.”

It felt good to know that Chloe would always be there. And with a start he realized that he couldn't know that. Well, he couldn't know for sure as far as logic went, his brain told him so. But that didn't change the fact that he just knew. The kind of knowledge that was purely instinct.

He smirked at himself and leaned down to press a kiss to her temple. “Thank you.”

Her eyes lit up as she looked back at him with a big smile, next snarky comeback just waiting to spill out. It struck him how pretty she looked when she smiled. Pretty and kind of sexy. That thought brought back the memory of their night at the club. More than kind of sexy. Clark was a complete moron.

Lex swallowed.

He was suddenly very conscious of all her luscious curves that were pressed against him.

Her voice called him back to the here and now. He must have been staring at her a bit too long.

“You’re too easy to please,” she said. She was surprised about the way he’d reacted. Pulled her a little closer and kissed her. Sure, not on the mouth, but it was still a kiss. But, she was still happy about his reaction.

“You should have insisted that I wear a glam rock outfit along with the lotion, silly. After all, I do come over and eat all of your food a lot of the time.”

It wasn’t fair. Lex would put away just as much as her but he never seemed to gain any weight. And she couldn’t remember him ever mentioning working out or a gym or anything. Her brows drew together and she placed her hand on his stomach, checking for a six pack. “ ‘s not fair.” She could feel some musculature below her hand. “How do you not work out and still look that good? Stupid genes.”

Lex managed a smirk, but it felt a little thin. With the consciousness of the curves obviously came the awareness of touch. She'd petted him like this a thousand times, but it had never had that much effect on him. Instead of merely feeling warm, he felt like he was starting a fever.

“Yea, stupid h...genes.”

He took a deep breath. He'd almost slipped up there and cursed his hormones, which would have required an explanation that he'd rather not give.

Okay, so he was apparently attracted to Chloe. Not good. In fact, horribly inconvenient. But he could work through this, make it go away. Somehow. Chloe was his friend, not a fuck. And she was looking at him weird.

Right, insert snappy comeback here.

“It's got nothing to do with the fact that I usually run three miles a day.”

Lex had looked and sounded off there for a moment. She’d immediately gone into worry mode. While her stomach was like a garbage pail, Lex usually didn’t indulge as much as she did. She was about to ask about his stomach, which could be a touch sensitive, when he gave the witty retort.

“Hmmm, well I didn’t know that.” She settled back against him and kept running her hand over his stomach, just in case he wasn’t feeling well. While they were close, Lex still had a problem sometimes with accepting that he wasn’t physically invincible.

Maybe since he’d shown her that he was emotionally needy, he needed to be strong in another way. Or maybe she was thinking too much about it.

And she was now thinking a little too much about the skin beneath his shirt. What it looked like, what it would feel like bare under her hand. Chloe swallowed and actively tried to lose herself in the movie.

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Re: In the Absence of a Hero (Rated: R for now) Updated: January 22nd 2008

OMG...I love this chapter. Love how they are slowly becoming aware of how attracted they are to one another. Now all Lex has to do is dump Clark & then on to Chlex smut . Excellent work.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information