+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: In the Absence of a Hero *NC-17* Updated: Feb 28, 2009

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Re: In the Absence of a Hero (Rated: R for now)

WooHoo!!!! Excellent, excellent chapter!! Love Chloe & Lex dancing & then getting drunk & telling Clark off. Can;t believe you left it there. MORE PLEASE!

It's getting really juicy...fantastic chapter!

I love Chloe and Lex getting drunk, and then calling Clark, it was just to hilarious.

I almost feel bad for Clark, he so oblivious, and he just doesn't get it. *Stupid BDA* Lex telling Clark off was good, he knows he should just leave Clark but he is still in denial that Clark will realize his wrong's and change. It's a total role reversal between Chloe and Lex; she was always the one in-love with Clark and in denial, but in this fic it's Lex instead. It makes it even more intresting to read.

I just love this story, and can't for the Chlex to heat up even more!

Please update again soon!!!

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

A great update!

Beth and Ian seem like very cool people, but I think I like that Lex was so attracted to Chloe most of all. And I do hope they have another conversation about her having a crush on him when she was in highschool--that really needs to be explored more.

“Clark,” she said, very importantly, “you need to come home and do your man. Do you understand? He’s a cuddlebug and needs some manly attention. He could be doing anyone and he wants you. So, bring that big dick of yours that we all three know you have home now.”
    And good for Chloe for telling Clark off as well as she did while she was drunk--that is just awesome

This story continues to rock.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

yeah, clark is an ass! lex and chloe together, completely amusing! i'm really loving this fic. more soon please!!!!

It’s funny; for a story in the angst section this part was a lot of fun.

I really love Chloe’s loyalty to Lex here.

I get that Clark has to save people, and I don’t think that it’s wrong on him to want a career. But I do have a problem with him because I think that he’s using Lex’s issues with love and the past to keep him hanging on when Clark knows that he’s never going to be able to meet those needs. The way that Clark tries to make him feel ashamed because Lex doesn’t want to be in a relationship where he’s really alone for most of the time is cruel. It’s easy to see why Lex stays, given his issues, but Clark using those issues to get him to stay because it’s easier for him to have someone who knows his secret and will take the scraps he’s given isn’t right.

I loved the drunk Chlex interaction and the drunk Clex and Chlark confrontations. Protective Chloe is scary and she knows Clark’s weakness. He really should watch himself.

Lex was so cute trying to remember enough words to describe what a dick Clark is. And Chloe talking about the bad sex -

“Clark,” she said, very importantly, “you need to come home and do your man. Do you understand? He’s a cuddlebug and needs some manly attention. He could be doing anyone and he wants you. So, bring that big dick of yours that we all three know you have home now.”

OMG! You know that Chloe’s wasted if she’s calling Lex a cuddlebug. And that Lex let’s her? Clearly he’s sloshed beyond reason, too. This part was soooooooooo sweet.

Chloe nodded along with everything that Lex was saying. He needed some support for once. “He tries and tries and you just flies and flies to other countries. Can’t the fucking Batdude and his troupe do something for once? Isn’t there some fish dude too?”

Now, if any superhero was gay, it had to be him.

I was ROTFLMAO at this. I’ve always felt *exactly* the same way.

Even more excellent work from you both. I don’t know how you two manage so many stories so wonderfully but you do and I thank you mightily for the effort.

More soon please.

~Sarah~

very funny chapter. I'm enjoying how different this story is and am looking foward to much much more. dagney

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

She and Lex had been a tangle of limbs. She’d expected to wake up alone knowing that Lex usually got up with the sun. But he’d still been there. They’d laughed nervously and Lex had gone to take a shower after she’d told him when and where to meet her and her friends.
    It was really so sweet of Chloe to be taking so much time out of her schedule to make Lex feel a little better about himself and his situation. She’s a true friend, and a better source of comfort and support than the person who ‘claims’ to love Lex.

“Didn’t think I’d have to fight so hard for it. Maybe I should try a new tactic.” He grinned down at his friend who he sometimes screwed, he was hoping tonight would be one of those nights, and moved his hand to her ass.

“Well, what kind of girl do you think I am to stand for that?”

He leaned down. “You forget I know exactly what type of girl you are.” She was the type of girl that liked to have fun in the same way he did. They’d known each other for over a year before they’d ever hooked up. But, when they both had no one, they would sometimes fall into bed with each other. He started to kiss her. Hard. She didn’t take much to get worked up, either, which he loved.
    I liked getting this character glimpse into Chloe’s fuck-buddy. He seems like a nice enough guy, even if he’s not worth getting serious about… I liked how he wasn’t pouting over Chloe ‘ignoring him’ tonight, but was willing to take whatever attention she was willing to give, without demanding more… the perfect boytoy, LOL!

“That's exactly what I was gonna say!” Her grin widened. The guy had a sense of humor, too. Life really was grossly unfair. “Okay, I'll be back as soon as womanly possible.”
    heh, TELL me about it, Beth! If only she knew just how many women probably started crying the day they heard that Lex had committed himself in a relationship with another MAN! It’s nice to know that Lex can still be charming and irresistible, even when he’s depressed and neglected.

Lex turned around in his seat to have a look around. They'd arrived a couple hours ago and so far, he had to admit, it wasn't bad. Chloe's friends seemed to be nice. Especially Beth. He could see that the young woman had taken a shine to him, for whatever reason, and the conversation with her had been interesting without being strenuous.
    It was probably also good for Lex to know that he’s still got his ‘mojo’, and can still attract pretty, interesting potential partners to himself. I think he’s been suffering a major inferiority complex, and it will do him good to know that he ‘could’ have other options.

A flash of heat took him by surprise as he imagined what they would look like, naked and wrapped up in each other, sharing kisses and touches, inevitably leading to ravenous sex.

Lex shook his head and reached behind him for his drink. Entirely too fruity for his taste, but at least it was cool enough to fend of the inexplicable heat flash and get some wetness back into his dry mouth.

He licked his lips and put the glass back on the counter, eyes still not leaving the couple on the dance floor.

Chloe was pressed up against Ian so tightly that you couldn't fit a sheet of paper between the two.

He remembered how warm it felt to have her pressed against him like that. Heat soaking into him from the back through his entire body. What would it have felt like if they'd both been naked?

Lex shook his head again.

This was nuts. He couldn't think of her that way. She was his friend. Just his friend.
    I really enjoyed the hot description of Chloe wrapped up with a sexy guy. It’s fantastic to see that she’s finally being appreciated as a sexy, desirable young woman… and she’s finally having the chance to enjoy her sexuality. It always drove me crazy thinking about her alone, OR wasting her time with unworthy guys who could never satisfy her.

Heeee, and Lex is getting turned on by seeing Chloe in full sex-mode this evening. Even HE gets to see what an incredible, passionate partner she can be… and perhaps all these ‘naughty thoughts’ will lead somewhere in the future

He was watching her with Ian.

Their eyes locked and she saw something in them that she’d never seen from Lex. It took her so much by surprise, as did her reaction, that she gasped a little. Ian took it as a good sign and bit her a little harder.

Then someone passed in front of her and when they had cleared her vision, Lex was already turning around.
    I person can VERY easily fall in love with this girl. She’s passionate, but she doesn’t allow her own desires get in the way of her loyalties and priorities. I liked how, although she was really enjoying herself with Ian, she had no intention of being rude and ‘ditching’ Lex, just to have her own good time.

Heh, AND her fortunate moment of turning to check on Lex allowed her to catch a moment of heat for her in his eyes. She didn’t acknowledge the look fully, but perhaps later she’ll have a chance to fully appreciate that Lex is attracted to her… I wonder where that realization is going to lead the both of them.

Lex was still a few feet away with his back turned. There was this thing she did. This whistle she let loose when she couldn’t find Lex in his apartment. She used it now.

Instinctively, she thought, he turned around. Chloe crooked her finger at him, grinned and then started to swing her hips again. She felt Ian take a step away from her. Good, she didn’t want to grind with Lex and Ian. Just dance.

The familiar whistle had jerked Lex right out of his thoughts. His brows rose in surprise when he saw Chloe was using it to ask him for a dance.
    ROTFLMAO! She actually has a special whistle to call Lex Luthor??!! I LOVED that! ROTFLMAO!

Ian shrugged and smiled. Chloe was in one of her mood swing moods. The only thing you could do was hang on for the ride. It was usually fun. If you didn’t count that one time she almost got them both arrested.
    I really like this Ian guy. He’s perfect for what Chloe needs in her life right now… when she’s between boyfriends and not ready to commit herself to anyone. Ian actually understands what she needs, and doesn’t push her for more. What an excellent, custom-made fuckbuddy, LOL!

She smiled up at Lex and then pulled him closer by his belt loops. He was clearly surprised by the move and Chloe started to laugh.
    I know she didn’t mean it that way, but it was REALLY hot imagining Lex being drawn closer by tugging on his belt loops. I really enjoy the image of Lex being pushed and manhandled into ‘appropriate position’ by a bossy, demanding partner. Can we play with this later? LOL

Lex gave a little wave at Beth behind Chloe's back, receiving a wide smile and a cute little finger twiddle in return that let him know she didn't feel deserted.
    awww, this was a really cute image… All four friends, dancing together… interchanging partners without the slightest bit of jealousy or possessiveness. It’s a very sweet outing between friends without the complications of sex muddying up the picture. I suspect Lex has been to VERY few social gatherings like this, where there’s only clean, simple FUN to be had, and no other pressures.

“Can’t be too good if you’re distracted by him,” she said. She edged even closer to him, which was almost impossible to do what with his arm wrapped around her. She was now speaking directly into his ear. How could she possibly get him to forget about Clark, even if it was for a few minutes?

She would just have to change topics. “I haven’t told you how good you look tonight.” Chloe let her eyes drift over his body. “Very good.” She leaned forward a little more. “I think Beth has a tiny crush already.”

A soft chuckle from him. It made her smile. “What? Like that’s so unbelievable. You are rather charming, you know?” Her movement was hampered a little by Lex’s arm around her body but she didn’t mind. She just moved her hips in small circles instead of flailing around while gyrating.
    Poor Lex… even in the middle of this ‘good, clean fun’ there’s still a thread of loneliness and misery in him… DAMN that Clark for doing this to him. It’s a really good thing Lex has Chloe to help him out during moments like this, otherwise I don’t want to imagine the semi-suicidal, drunken depression he would have fallen into if Chloe wasn’t so determined to distract him from his miserable relationship.

There was something she’d never told him. Or Clark, either. But it might just do the trick. “I had a huge crush on you when I was in high school.” She looked up at him and nodded when his eyes went wide.

“Huge.”

Lex didn't quite believe it, but he could tell when she was lying, because she always chewed on her bottom lip and talked faster when she did. But now, she didn't. Still.
    LOL! It’s surprising that this news was such a shock to Lex. I would have thought he would have gotten used to the idea of being irresistible to every female (and some males) that he came into contact with… It was really cute that he actually had to check for Chloe’s ‘tells for bluffing’ when she dropped this revelation.

For a moment, he wondered. Wondered what if. What if he'd noticed? What if she'd said something? What if…

But that was absurd. Things were the way they were, and there was no going back into the past and changing things. Still.

“I kinda wish I had known.”

“What?” She spoke the word softly but she thought that Lex had heard it. Why did he wish he’d known? Would he have actually done something?
    oooh, BOY! The two of them have NO idea on how dangerously close they’re skirting towards infidelity over here?! Idiots! He’s miserable and unhappy in his relationship (with good reason, but still…), he’s just noticed how sexy and attractive his supportive and comforting friend is, and NOW he’s found out that his sexy friend used to have a huge crush on him?!

AND he’s entertaining thoughts of ‘if onlys’ and ‘what ifs’ over here too?

Do you NEED anything more to add onto this formula for unfaithfulness?!

This was wrong. Very wrong. She shouldn’t have said anything. She was pressed up against Lex’s body, and by the way, when had his knee gotten between her legs?, and they were treading on some very dangerous ground.
    heh, at least Chloe has some inkling about the dangerous territory they’re edging into. Let’s hope she manages to keep a tight hold on her sense of right and wrong, even when the hormones start an overwhelming torrent inside.

“Lex, no, you can’t. You’ll regret it.” Chloe was putting up as much of a fight as she could in her current state. She was drunk. As hell. So was Lex.

They were in the hall by his bedroom. She couldn’t remember why, exactly, they were on the floor but there had to be some reason. Lex was trying to operate his cell phone. To call Clark.

He was about two feet away. Seemed really far.

After their dance session, they’d gone shot for shot. She remembered Ian coming over to her. She’d politely told him it wasn’t going to happen. He’d been nice about the whole thing. Even drove her and Lex here, he hadn’t drank, drunk, drank, imbibed that night so it had been fine.
    ROTFLMAO! As far as ‘stupid mistakes that could be committed while drunk’ goes… Drunk-dialling is quite harmless as far as I’m concerned. And it’s really cute and hilarious how Lex is being so persistent about calling Clark while he’s miserable and drunk, and Chloe’s trying to stop him.

“Don't care,” Lex grumbled back at her, waiting for his stupid S.O. to finally pick up the fucking phone.

He had a piece of mind to share with the stupid alien about his tendency to be a crap ass lover and boyfriend and other.
    Actually, drunk-dialling sounds like a VERY good idea. I get the feeling Lex never complains about Clark’s neglect, so Clark is probably oblivious about how unhappy and lonely Lex really is. I’m not saying that Clark is not to blame, but LEX is also responsible for not letting Clark know that this situation is getting to intolerable levels of misery, loneliness and unhappiness for him. Lex is allowing Clark to do this to him, and complaining about it might be a good first step in fixing the problems between them?

“You're an asshole.”

“Lex?” Clark sounded confused. Like anyone else would call him in the night to tell him he's an asshole.
    ROTFL! If it hasn’t happened before, it’s long overdue.

“King of obliviousness is what you are. High priest of ignorance. A completely, oblivious, ignorant and …” He needed another word, a good word to describe the shitty habit of Clark to not notice anything going on with other people.

He turned to Chloe. “Gimme another word.”

Instead of being helpful in any way, shape or form, Chloe started to giggle. She imagined Clark having that dumb look on his face. “Dumb as a doornail.” No, wait, that wasn’t right. She could see that Lex knew that too. He smirked over at her.

“Not fair. Had the same but I’m tinier.” Her shoes had already been kicked off and her pantyhose were somewhere else so it was easier to crawl over to Lex. And reach for the phone. Lex fought her a little but she bit him and he quickly let go of the phone.
    ROTFL at the way Chloe and Lex are drunk tagteaming while insulting Clark. It’s really a lot of fun to watch, LOL!

Clark glared at the phone. Chloe was clearly drunk. Which meant that Lex was, too. They’d discussed this. He didn’t think that Lex should be drinking so much. It had seemed to get worse lately. And his boyfriend actually had the gall to blame him.
    Oh dear HEAVEN! Clark really doesn’t have a clue! Not the slightest hint about how much Lex is suffering! He has no idea about where all this resent-filled talk is coming from, or even why Lex has been seeking solace in a bottle lately. Lex REALLY needs to have an open, honest and SOBER discussion with him. Is Lex afraid of sounding petty? Or is he afraid that Clark is going to leave him if he complains?

“Chloe, I expected better than this from you.” He couldn’t believe that she had said what she did. It wasn’t proper.

“So did I when you popped my cherry so I suppose we’re both going to have to get used to disappointment.”

“Chloe!” He was sitting up now.

“He’s yelling now. It’s for you,” she said as she handed Lex the phone.

“Insensitive dick!” That's the word he had been looking for. Insensitive. That's what Clark was.
    ROTFLMAO! Seriously, it’s a LOT of fun seeing Superman being randomly called and drunkenly insulted by his ex-girlfriend and his current boyfriend.

And I’ll just BET that Batman is listening in on this conversation… I wonder what he’s making of it, LOL! Is he amused, or just disgusted?

He could feel himself working up to a good rant. One of those spectacular ones that he hadn't had in a while. “Let's face it, Clark, you suck! Actually, no you don't. Haven't in over a month, at least not my dick. Hell knows what you get up to while you're supposedly out there saving the world.”

Clark's jaw dropped as he stared at the phone. He couldn't believe what was coming out of Lex's mouth. His boyfriend was cussing him out because he wasn't getting enough blowjobs, when Clark had to worry about thousands of people in trouble, screaming for help, needing him.
    ROTFLMAO! Oh dearie me… If Batman is listening in, I’m sure a good part of him must be simply horrified. And Clark just doesn’t seem to get what Lex and Chloe are trying to tell him. He thinks they just called him up on a random drunken mood-swinging impulse… he doesn’t get that there are REAL issues that Lex is trying to address over here. I seriously hope that Lex has a proper talk with him later about this.

“Blah blah blah, you know what? I don't give a fuck. I don't give a fuck. Fact is, you spend more time out there, saving kittens from trees and doggies from fires than you do with me. You go off on your flights of fancy, saving the world, yaddah, yaddah and expect me to sit here and just wait until you're done for a few minutes and feel like coming to a place where you can get your booboos fixed and get a little support from the convenient boyfriend.”
    Excellent! I don’t know how long Lex has been holding all of this inside, but it’s waaay past time all his resentment got vocalized. Granted, it hasn’t been very elegantly phrased, but I can see how everything rings true, and Clark is an IDIOT (or a careless jerk) for not realizing that.

He hated it. Plain and simple. As if a fucking 'sacred duty' wasn't enough, Clark had to insist on the ridiculous cover of being an investigative reporter of all things. “Expect me to be home, expect me to make time, expect me to turn everything upside down and inside out and fix your messes, never mind that I'm wearing a suit too. Have a job, too. Used to have a life...”
    This was also an excellent point. I DO get that Clark has a responsibility to use his superpowers to save others… and sometimes a relationship time might get put off when there are potential robberies, rapes, murders and assorted accidental deaths to be prevented… But Lex sacrificed EVERYTHING for Clark, while Clark gave up nothing… not even his side-career as a journalist. Lex is the one making 95% of the effort and compromises in keeping this relationship alive, and Clark doesn’t even seem to realize that.

And yet, Lex couldn't bring himself to do what he should do. Because there were reasons. Reasonable reasons that he couldn't think of right now. And that stupid feeling that maybe one morning Clark would wake up and realize his assholishness and change for the better.
    Poor needy, clingy Lex. Even when his partner is making his desperately unhappy, he STILL can’t bring himself to give up on a person he loves. I can see why he keeps hanging on, despite how miserable he is. Hope can be quite addictive… especially to a man as well-versed in the art of denial as Lex Luthor.

She stood up and swayed for a moment. “Come to bed. I’m cold.” She held out her hands and opened and closed them a few times. “I’m better than Clark in bed without even doing anything cause I’m here.”
    I have to wonder about Chloe’s motivation for trying to compensate for Clark’s absence in Lex’s life. She’s a great and loyal friend, but this is going way above and beyond the call fo friendship. Does she empathize with Lex because she remembers the way SHE was also last-priority with Clark in the Chlark relationship? Why has she accepted this huge responsibility as Lex’s only companion and source of comfort during his time of great need?

This fic is turning out very interesting, and I look forward to seeing which way it goes. It’s fascinating seeing this Clex bond turning into Chlex, but I’d like to explore the Clex bond a little bit more… see WHAT it is that Lex is trying so hard to desperately keep holding onto. There must be ‘some’ good there if he’s willing to put up with all this nonsense.

Please update soon.

NS Full Member

A/N: Blue: More bonding and opportunities for Clarkhatred
    A/N: Sabby: Enter stage Left: The Superhero/Boyfriend.

Lex took her hands and they were able to get him up and at em. Her cell phone rang in the bag that she’d slung over a chair. They both ignored it. As they made their way to the bedroom, Chloe helped Lex get his shirt over his head. The phone next to the bed rang.

Chloe picked it up. “You’re done for tonight. Go jerk your useless dick off.” She hung up the phone. Her words weren’t quite right, she thought.

Lex chuckled at that one while he got his pants down. “I don't think even he can manage that.”

But it wouldn't be too tragic if he actually did. Cause it wasn't used often for recreational purposes these days anyway. “Useless prick. He's not even good anymore.”

Like it was a chore instead of a connection. At least that's what it felt like to Lex. And then with all the bitching and the whining about can't do this, won't do that. That he'd put up with that for five years proved he really was a fool for love.

Lex stumbled a little as he got his socks off and tossed them carelessly in the direction of the hamper.

He pulled back the sheets with a huff and let himself fall squarely back into the mattress.

“Least he makes you come,” Chloe pouted. “I always had to use my hand. Or his hand. He always finished before me.”

She counted the ways that Clark was much worse to her than to him. “And at least he went down on you, even if it’s been a month since it happened. I never got that. Let’s face it, I broke him in and you reaped the benefits.”

“Now, move,” she pushed at his shoulders. “I’m not getting any tonight so I at least want some good sleep.”

“And what benefits they are. And what do you mean, broke him in? Do you know what an act it was to get him to blow me that first time?”

Lex shook his head remembering all too clearly the frustration of not getting more than sloppy kisses and halfhearted groping because Clark just 'wasn't sure'. Or because something 'wasn't right'.

“I could've convinced Mary faster than that,” he added. Then realized that she wouldn't know who he was talking about. “I mean The Mary, you know, Jesus' mother, not my housemaid, she wouldn't need convincing.”

It was a shame really, thinking that he'd put so much time and effort into this and in the end it wasn't worth it, because Clark was never there to do it anyway. Good or no good.

Chloe got under the blankets and then fluffed her pillow. “Lex, my love, Clark never used his tongue on me below the belt.” Lex looked over at her. “Nev-er.”

“He have sex with you completely naked?” Lex nodded. “Took two months for that to happen between us.”

“Trust me, Clark is still an emotional waste land but at least you get some tongue action.”

Lex blinked, then blinked some more. Processing the facts. It had taken him nearly a year to get to the point of first sex, but when confronted with Nev-er...

“Really, never? Not even once?”

Chloe shook her head and rolled onto her side to face him.

“Now that's just...rude.”

Really, there was no other word for it, at least, not right now. There was another long one. Inconsiderate. Right, it was that, too. But rude sounded better.

He brought one arm up and pushed it under his head so he could look at her comfortably while they talked.

“But I bet he had no problem with you giving him head, did he?”

So Clark probably liked that now, eh? “Actually,” she said, “not at first.” Another surprised look from Lex. “He wanted to know why we just couldn’t do it the regular way.”

“But,” she said, proud, “once he got a taste of it,” though that was turned around, she’d been the one tasting, “he always asked for it. And, I’m good, too. So, like, he got everything and I got nothing.”

“At least he can find your happy spot. So, you do get blown, have orgasms and I bet he doesn’t get all weird with you if you ask to be taken from behind.”

Another discussion about why the regular way was what he was more comfortable with.

Lex barked out a laugh at that. “Are you kidding me?” Trying to get Clark to try out any other position than missionary was like trying to move a mule up a mountain when there was food at the bottom of it. “It took me a year to get him to have sex with me period. And the only two positions he accepts is the missionary and riding style.”

Not that he'd complained about it. For the first two years. But now that he thought about it, he should have complained. It was ridiculous and childish and prude and other things that he couldn't think of right now.

“And the whole happy spot thing doesn't count.”

Chloe rolled her eyes. Yes, people had sexual hang-ups that dealt with the way that they were raised. But, if that person was with another one, usually things got worked through. Not with Clark. You’d talk for hours about it but he’d still feel weird or ashamed about it. Which made you feel bad for even asking for that stuff.

“I know, your kind are so easy it’s not fair,” she said, gesturing in the vicinity of Lex’s crotch. “It’s like those water guns we had when we were kids. Pull a little and a stream comes out without fail.”

“Women are much more complex.” Unbidden, an old picture from her 7th grade health book of the woman’s anatomy appeared in her brain. “I mean, I told him what to do, where to go and how to move but it still didn’t work. I was patient, caring, understanding,” she ticked the points off on her fingers, “and it still didn’t help.”

“He’d like, just keep pounding on away.” She’d stood for it because she loved him. Same as Lex. They’d only broken up when he realized he was gay. She probably would have stayed with him. Same as Lex.

“Hope he’s got more finesse now.” Or else she really didn’t know what Lex was doing with him. He had so many other options. Of both sexes.

“Hey,” she said, something occurring to her, “do you like women or men better, in general?” He arched an eyebrow at her. She tried to look serious but failed, a grin spreading over her face. “Sexually, I mean. And don’t say it depends on the person.”

While she and Lex were close, there were things they steered away from. Conversations like these were chief among them. Talking about Clark in that way, Lex’s past, things like that. But alcohol made for loose lips and minds.

Lex scrunched his eyebrows together, trying to find a way to say 'It depends on the person' without saying 'It depends on the person'. Because it did totally depend on the person. “It's different, doing it with a guy, or a woman. It's not really something you can compare. I don't have a preference, that's why I'm bi. If I had a preference I'd go for that preference and stick with it, wouldn't I?”

And relationship wise, things were totally different too. There were just some issues that would never appear with a woman and vice versa stuff that would never come up with a guy. “And as for Clark's 'finesse',” he said with a shrug, “It's not like I fell in love with him because he's a great fuck.” He'd fallen in love because he was a moronic idiot who'd had a serious case of hero worship and blindness towards reality when it came to the boy with the sunny smile and puppy dog eyes.

“He used to be good with his tongue, once he got over that whole 'no blowjobs' thing.”

Chloe squeaked in indignation. “So, not only did you get to get him to go down on you.” That wasn’t right but he knew what she meant. “But Clark was also good at something with you.” She really had gotten the short end of the stick.

But maybe it had nothing to do with her as a woman. More as a person. Maybe Clark had tried more with Lex because he cared more about Lex. Chloe could feel the drunken depression and weepiness trying to rear its ugly head. She pushed it away.

“You know, a good tongue move would have really helped in a lot of ways.” Yes, if he’d used his tongue to go down on her. But, also, just for kissing. While both she and Clark hadn’t had much experience, she thought that she had at least gotten better.

“You ever believe him when he says he loves you?” Clark said it plenty with her. But more in a reassuring way. She’d heard it and accepted it but never really believed it. It almost seemed to her that they started dating because he’d given up on rejecting her advances.

It made sense now. Be with the safe girl that you didn’t really have any feelings for. Better than being with the guy that you did. In Clark’s world.

Lex closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. “That's what's kicking me most.”

He thought about the last time he'd heard Clark say the words. It had been on the phone, Clark had been in Singapore that day and it had been three in the morning for Lex. The call had come because Clark let him know that he would not be home for another two days. Something about helping with the clean up.

“I believe him when he says it. I believe that he loves me, as much as he's capable of loving someone. The problem is that he sucks at showing it. In his mind, it should be enough for me to know that he loves me, I guess. That he's coming home when the world doesn't need him for five minutes.”

A bitter smirk curled up one corner of his lip. “He was always crap at time management.”

But it wasn't enough. Not nearly enough. If he'd still had his 18 hours a day job, maybe it would have worked for him. But Lex doubted it. He knew that he was the 'all or nothing' type, always had been. And with Clark, all he'd gotten was pieces. A piece of the hero that belonged to him while he had to share the rest with the entire world. Lex had never been good at sharing.

“And trust me, the occasional fuck or kiss, no matter how good, doesn't make anything better.”

Chloe smiled at the irony of the whole thing. Their positions had been reversed. She’d gotten more of Clark’s time but always doubted the way that he felt. Their dates seemed perfunctory, like Clark was playing the role of the perfect boyfriend.

“And, you trust me on this one,” she said, catching Lex’s eye, “while it sucks to never see him, it sucks far worse to know he never loved you.”

Lex’s face changed, now etched with concern, a little bit of surprise, and oodles of pity. He opened his mouth. “Can we not do that? Not go through the whole song and dance of telling me I’m wrong. We both know it’s true.” She shrugged. “Just never said it before.”

She lay back on the bed and stared up at the ceiling for a few seconds. “He doesn’t deserve you,” she said with some finality. “I wish you really believed that.”

Lex remained silent. It wasn't as easy as all that. And in his mind, it had nothing to do with deserving something. It was about being able to let go and he sucked at that. He didn't let go of things unless it was absolutely inevitable. And it took a lot to get him to the point where he saw it as absolutely inevitable. Attempted homicide, for example.

He didn't argue her assertion that her situation had been 'worse' either. Mostly because there was no option of comparison on her part, being that she'd never been with someone who loved her but treated her like crap. She'd always gotten the 'no loving' end of the stick it seemed. Lex had been in both situations and could now say with conviction that they were both equally bad.

“The situation is just too fucked up. I'd consider couple therapy, but I know he'd be too busy to show up for the sessions,” he said snidely.

Sarcasm, his favorite weapon.

“Plus, you know that he’d pull the puppy eyes on the shrink and they’d immediately take his side.” It wasn’t fair that Clark’s charm got him out of being accountable for his actions.

“So, you have a boyfriend that loves you but refuses to actually stay around you for more than a day or so. And I haven’t had anything approaching a real relationship in years.” For some reason, Chloe started to laugh. “God, we’re so pathetic.”

She shook her head and closed her eyes. “Wish I had a damn time machine. Maybe old me would stay away from Clark if new me showed up to smack her around a little.” And the new her might whisper a little something about Lex into old her’s ear, too.

Chloe turned onto her side and looked at the clock. 3:22am. She needed to get to sleep.

“Not to be rude, but can we table this until tomorrow? We’ll both still resent him in the morning.”

Lex nodded. “Yeah, alright.” There was nothing to say that he hadn't said a thousand times already anyway.

“But, thank you. Tonight wasn't bad.”

Not as bad as it could have been. He'd gotten a few hours of almost fun. Met some nice people. And Chloe had come back with him, so he didn't have to stare at the ceiling alone.

She rolled back over and looked at Lex. “You’re welcome. I’m really glad you had fun.” She reached over and turned off the light on her bedside table. Lex did the same.

Like the night before, she scooted closer to him. This time, being they were face to face, Lex opened his arms to her and she settled against his chest. “Night, Lex.”

Once her breathing started to match Lex’s and her body relaxed, Chloe drifted off to sleep.
    ~~
    When Chloe had woken up, she’d felt excessively hot. She quickly figured out why. She was mooching some additional body heat off of Lex. He was on his back and she was semi-splayed over his chest. She smiled a little against his skin before raising her head up.

She felt some dull pain in her noggin and knew that she’d have to find some aspirin. She pulled her knees up and kneeled next to Lex for a few moments before stretching her arms above her head.

That had been a good night’s sleep. Lex seemed to agree being that he wasn’t awake yet. She’d have to make fun of him for that later.

He moved around a little restlessly so Chloe pulled the blankets up on his body, trying to compensate for the warmth that he was now losing. She bent down and kissed his forehead before getting out of the bed.

Aspirin and a shower would be divine. She looked back at Lex’s sleeping body. She doubted he would mind. She took off Lex’s shirt, placed it on the back of a chair and made her way into the bathroom.

The lack of warmth had been disturbing enough for Lex to come to semi-consciousness. The click of a door was all it took to rip him out of sleep completely and he sat up in bed with a disturbed sound, confused for a moment just why he'd woken up so suddenly.

The space beside him was empty. Right. His subconscious apparently still had that trigger. He couldn't count how many times he'd woken up in the middle of the night when Clark had left to do some world saving or another. Before the time that Clark just plain didn't come home at night anymore when he was off on duty.

Lex rubbed a hand over his face and scratched the back of his neck. A quick look around showed Chloe's outfit still on the floor and the shirt she'd borrowed on the back of the corner chair. The clicking of the door was explained when he heard the shower start in the bathroom.

With another disgruntled sound, Lex flopped back onto the mattress and stared at the ceiling.

Last night had been interesting. Different. He remembered everything, including the drunken call he'd made to Clark. Asshole. Said asshole would be home in a few hours, too. Lex couldn't even find it in himself to be happy about that.

Experience had taught him that Clark's stays were nothing but perfunctory visits anymore. Stick around for a couple of days at most and leave again. Then come back to stick around for a few hours and leave again. It seemed all Clark ever did these days was leave.

Lex had a headache. But he doubted the alcohol had anything to do with that. He usually didn't suffer hangovers.

Coffee. Maybe coffee would help.

He got up and picked up the shirt from the chair to put it on. The apartment got a little cold when you wore nothing but boxers.

The shower was still running, so Lex trudged straight on into the kitchen to start some coffee. Maybe make a light breakfast or something.

Chloe felt much better after her shower. She’d taken the aspirin before getting in and they seemed to have taken effect. She wrapped the huge towel around her body, and one around her hair, and then stepped back into the bedroom.

Then started pouting. Lex wasn’t there. She could do with some more cuddling. While Lex was with someone who denied him physical contact, it wasn’t like she got hugged much, either.

Huffing, she went to put Lex’s….

She gaped at the chair. The little devil had taken that for his own. Fine, she’d just have to steal another one. She walked over to a closet, opened it, and grimaced. Clark’s stuff assaulted her eyes.

The other closet was much nicer. Now, what to wear…what to wear…

She found Lex in the kitchen. Chloe had followed the smell of coffee. He was standing in front of the open fridge…wearing the shirt she’d rightfully stolen from him.

The shirt she’d stolen from him for now was a deep blue, business shirt. She’d always liked the way it looked on him.

Walking up behind him, she wrapped her arms around him and kissed his shoulder. “I was coming back to bed.” She turned her head and placed her cheek on his back. “You owe me some cuddling once we’re done here.”

Lex smirked and placed a hand over hers, noticing that she'd nicked yet another of his shirts. And not even a t-shirt this time. “You hungry?”

He felt the nod against his shoulder blade and fancied he could also feel the pouting. It was nice to know that he wasn't the only one who enjoyed the closer contact they'd shared the last couple of nights. Judging by the limpet like hold around his waist, she needed some affection as much as he did.

“Why don't you get us coffee and wait for me on the couch? I'll just whip up some breakfast.”

Another nod against his shoulder before she let go and stepped back, taking the warmth of her body with her.

Listening to the every day noises of getting cups and plates out of cupboards, the shuffling of feet as she took the mugs and carried them into the living room. It hit Lex as he placed the pan on the stove and cracked the first egg how oddly domestic this all was. Just a completely normal start to a completely normal morning.

Except that it wasn't, because this situation wasn't normal for them. And it wasn't Chloe that should be in the living room with the coffee. It wasn't her that should be flicking on the TV to see if there was anything good on. She wasn't the one that was supposed to be curled up in his arms the whole night and wake up to demand more cuddling.

Lex shook the thought off and stirred the eggs in the pan. Those thoughts would just make him angry and morose again. And he didn't want to be angry and morose now. Not when things could be bright for just a while. Even if they weren't real.

He carried two filled plates into the living room and found Chloe still channel surfing on the couch, coffee clutched in one hand, remote in the other.

When she saw Lex carrying the plates of food and the scent hit her she smiled. “You’re my hero.” He shook his head and she took the offered plate from him.

She waited for him to settle down a little and then scooted closer to him. They needed each other, she’d come to that conclusion. For conversations and cuddles. They were both pathetic but at least they could have each other.

Until Clark came home. Chloe swallowed down a bitter taste along with her eggs when she thought of that.

That was where they differed. Clark would come back and Lex would have him and she would have….nothing. Not even a cat.

Clark would always have Lex. He’d treat him like shit and misunderstand the man but Lex would stay. Because he loved Clark.

Chloe could feel herself starting to get mopey and she stopped herself.

“Thanks, the food is great.” They ate in compatible silence after Lex nodded in response to the compliment.

She was finished before Lex was and he was watching the morning news report with some interest. Chloe slid closer and started to rub his stomach. “Now, what are we going to do about you stealing my shirt that I stole from you, huh?”

Lex looked over at her, toast halfway to his mouth. “It is my shirt, you know.”

The stomach rubbing was nice, odd, but nice. Yes, he was a pathetic, droopy old dog. But at least there was no tail wagging involved. Lex snorted at himself as he imagined his ears perking and a big bushy tail wagging at his side.

“Maybe you should get a pet,” he suggested apropos of nothing.

He finished his toast and set the plate on the table, then leaned back into the couch. Chloe used the chance to scoot closer and get the cuddles she'd demanded earlier. “Then again, you've already got me.”

Not really. That was her first reaction. She was still stuck on the whole ‘she had no one while everyone had someone else even if they were being neglected’ but she tried to ignore it again.

“I’d hardly call you a pet,” she said, sinking more against him. She wormed her arm between him and the couch so she was pressed against his side and continued to run her hand over his belly and chest.

Lex wrapped his arm around her and she pressed her face against his chest. She took a few long, deep breaths and closed her eyes as Lex’s hand stroked down her back.

His fingers played along her spine and Chloe grinned. Until something happened. She felt tingly. Those kind of tingles. The wrong kind.

She gulped and told her body to stop it. Lex was with Clark. She wasn’t here for random sex, she was here for petting and making Lex feel better.

“In related news, Superman..”

Both of their heads snapped up.

The report was about a mudslide that he’d helped to contain. Without speaking, Chloe reached for the remote by her side and turned off the TV. “Just us here. No room for him.”

The gods of irony were working over time.

The front door opened and Chloe heard a familiar voice calling out Lex’s name.

Lex gave her a sympathetic smirk and got up from the couch. “In here, Clark.”

He straightened up and wished he was wearing pants so he could shove his hands into their pockets.

“There you are,” Clark said as he stepped up and enfolded Lex in a hug. “Feel better today.”

Clark hadn't gotten much sleep, so he was still a little wired, but it was good to be home. He buzzed a kiss to Lex's mouth before he noticed Chloe on the couch. “Hey, Chloe.”

“Clark.” She returned with a nod.

He was still slightly miffed at what had happened during the night. The drunken call and accusations were not forgotten, but he'd have words about that later.

Lex waited until Clark released him to step back a little. “How was the mudslide?” Things fell into their usual places. He knew the game and he played it well. The only thing that was missing was real emotion behind it. At least it felt that way to him lately. Embraces, kisses, they all seemed perfunctory, distracted, like Clark was never really there.

“God, it was horrible. So many people Lex, so much suffering.” Clark shook himself out of it. He had to push these things away when he was home or he'd go crazy. “Is there any coffee left?” Without waiting for an answer he rushed towards the kitchen.

Chloe’s hands had fisted and she was shaking her head. Leave it to Clark to notice nothing. Lex was clearly not pleased. Any idiot could see that, which was probably why it had escaped his notice.

She looked up at Lex, who was still looking in the direction that Clark had disappeared and her heart went out to him. She knew by the set line of his mouth that Clark was in for another rant.

How the man could come home and give Lex an almost absent minded hug and kiss after last night was beyond her.

She stood up and took Lex’s hand. He looked down at her. “I’ll be going now.”

Lex started to protest but she said, “I know you two need to talk. Call me if you need me. Promise?” Lex nodded.

Reaching up, she gave Lex a short but firm kiss. “Give him hell for me.” She smiled a little and then went back to the bedroom to put on her clothes and get herself home.

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Excellent chapter! I really thought Lex & Chloe were gonna kiss...maybe they would have if Clunk hadn;t walked in. He's such a dope. Time to end this relationship Lex & start one with Chloe.

Hey! Update Your Story!!! xxasaxx's Avatar

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this so far!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information