+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: More than Meets the Eye (R) Update: 5/1/08 (Alternate S7)

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Re: More than Meets the Eye (R) Update: 4/9/08, Ch.15 (Alternate S7)

AN: This is the final chapter of this story because unlike Smallville, I can sense when a tale is ready to be finished. Thank you for the reviews and thanks to all of the people who ensured that this story went farther than that original one shot I had planned. I went through several different endings for certain characters and I can’t say that when I started the story, this ending was exactly what I had planned. This chapter didn’t ever go as originally planned when I started writing it. Anyway, I hope it’s all that you thought it would be.

The Scale

Episode: Descent

Lex had left early in the morning waking Chloe to tell her that he had to prepare for the meeting with his father. He wouldn’t say all that he had planned, but he did promise that he would see her later that night.

She could tell that he was making a memory of her image. Before she opened her eyes, she sensed that he was staring at her. Probably been watching her the whole night. If it was any other day, she would have slapped him on the chest and told him to stop creeping her out. However, today was different. He needed it as much as she needed to feign sleep for a few more precious moments just to have the excuse to hold on to him without question. To ignore what this day would bring.

Chloe had spent her time simultaneously getting ready to meet Clark and going over in her head what she would say when she saw him. She went through the different scenarios of whether she should approach the subject carefully or to come straight out with Lana’s endeavors. As she picked out her clothes, did her make up and brushed her hair; she chose her words carefully and imagined Clark’s response.

By the time she was driving to Smallville, she had decided exactly what she was going to say. She thought of every possible way in which Clark might take the news and how Lana might try to defend herself. She wasn’t going to do anything unless Lana was there. She didn’t want to give the girl time to talk her way out of everything. Best to present the facts and watch her squirm.

Chloe was determined not to leave the farm until Clark knew all the essentials.

When she arrived, Clark smiled warmly to her. Lana was sitting at the kitchen island and gave her a tight smile, obviously not thrilled with Chloe’s visit after their last encounter. Since Clark seemed to have no problem with her being there, it was apparent Lana hadn’t mentioned about it to him.

“Would you care for some breakfast?” Clark asked as he poured himself some orange juice.

“No thanks.” Chloe was too nervous to eat and she wanted to get everything out in the open. “Clark, I have something important to say.”

“Did you find any information on what Lionel has planned?” he asked as he sat next to Lana.

“Yes, but I also know someone else has plans for you too.” Chloe watched as Lana seemed to retreat into herself. She didn’t offer any words, probably wanting to see if Chloe really knew as much as she did.

“I knew it. Lionel is still working with Lex. I can’t believe I ever trusted him. Either of them.” He seemed so sure of himself.

“I didn’t find anything to connect Lex to any of this.” She knew from Lex’s reactions last night that he was just as surprised by everything as she was. However, she couldn’t mention that without first telling Clark that she had been working with Lex and he wasn’t ready to hear it just yet.

Not entirely believing it, but figuring that Chloe just hadn’t found a tie yet, he decided to let her finish. “Well who is working with Lionel?”

“No one.” At that comment, Lana actually looked relieved that she may not have been found out. If Clark had looked over at her, she probably would have passed the expression off as being glad that Lionel wasn’t in cahoots with anyone.

Clark started to get annoyed that Chloe seemed to be giving him the run around. “You just said someone else is out to get me.”

“No, I said that someone else had plans for you.” She didn’t believe that Lana wanted to hurt Clark. She just wasn’t interested on Clark’s opinions about whether or not he wanted to do her work. “And I never said that she was working with Lionel.”

At ‘she’ Lana had actually fidgeted, and her eyes had done that weird shifty move. Yet Clark was still oblivious, choosing instead to focus on what Chloe was going to tell him.

He felt like Chloe was trying to prepare him for something that would be hard to take, but he couldn’t be sure as to what it was. “Then what is going on?”

“Lionel was making plans to control you through red and green Kryptonite; thankfully he wasn’t able to perfect the process. I’m making sure that he will never be able.” Actually Lex was doing just that and she wasn’t sure how. “Plus now that you know what he’s been doing, he won’t be able to trick you any further.”

Clark was seething over the information. “To think I let that man into my life. I can’t believe I let my guard down around him for even a moment. No more. He’s not getting anywhere near me again.”

Lana decided she couldn’t hold back any longer. “Clark, maybe it’s not entirely what we think. Maybe this plan could have been used for good. Maybe he was just making sure that you went out and helped people. You know, without all those reservations you usually have. Maybe he just wanted you to put all your worries aside and go out and do what needed to be done.” Lana risked a stare at Chloe that clearly stated ‘go along with my plan.’ She was a complete imbecile if she thought it would happen.

Clark stared at Lana as if she had lost her mind, which she might as well have. “How can you say that? After everything he’s done?”

“I…I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt.” Lana straightened her shoulders and did her best to keep from shaking.

Chloe scoffed at that remark. However, Clark’s anger softened and he smiled believing he had the best girlfriend, despite evidence to the contrary that Lana had never offered him such mercy over the years. Chloe hoped that anger would return with her next piece of information.

“I also found a trace on his computer that led back to the Isis Foundation where I found evidence that Lana has been planning to copy Lionel’s technique. She had a journal detailing her intentions to use you to hurt both Lionel and Lex.” Chloe placed the print outs in front of Clark. “She has also started on the project, using funds from her foundation to do so. I’m certain the foundation was just a front for what she had been planning since returning from China. Perhaps before.”

Lana knew she was on the edge and while it might be damaging to lay blame on Chloe, she had to try. “Don’t believe her. We had a fight last night and she’s just trying to get back at me.”

At first Clark had trouble believing it, but after reading Lana’s words and looking over the descriptive schematics, he knew that this wasn’t some cruel joke. Deep within himself, he knew that no matter what reservations Chloe had about his relationship with Lana, she would never orchestrate something this detailed just to cause problems between them. In fact, she had always tried to help his relationship with Lana, even when he knew it wasn’t in her best interest. He was incredibly angry that Lana would betray him like this, but he still hoped that there was some misunderstanding. Some reason why she had to do this that wasn’t just for her own advantage.

Realizing it hadn’t worked, Lana changed her tactic slightly. “Clark, you can’t believe I would actually do this. Someone’s framing me.”

“That’s odd. With Lionel, he must have good intentions, but with you it’s a complete frame job. Which isn’t possible, by the way, I looked through the computer’s logs. They were all written at different times of the day and from your computer. No way to upload it from another computer without a trace and no way to enter your office at all of those different times without someone noticing at least once. Plus, I’ve seen your writing before, the grammatical structure is the same. Anyone who would have to purposely write in that many errors would have been driven crazy by now.” While Chloe was upset that Clark had to be hurt, she was getting pleasure from watching Lana talk in circles.

Frustrated that nothing seemed to be working, Lana realized she needed to confess and do her best at damage control. The ‘I’ve been hurt’ method with a bit of ‘It was all for the good of mankind’ might do the trick. “You know how much I’ve suffered because of the Luthors, how much we all have. I just wanted to make sure they would never hurt anyone again and I knew you would never take that step so I…”

“You decided to take the step for me.” After years of putting what he wanted aside to try and make Lana’s life better, she couldn’t bother to repay him the same kindness. The first chance she had to do as she pleased, she took it. He could feel anger, confusion, and the feeling of getting too close to green Kryptonite bubble within his body. With no sign of compassion in his voice, he asked “Why didn’t you just come to me and ask? Why didn’t you just let me take care of everything?”

“I didn’t want to be that helpless girl who always runs to you for help.” That wasn’t true. She actually loved getting Clark to help her out of jams. Doing it herself was too much work, but she knew if she asked, he wouldn’t do anything to help. And she would lose any chance of using him if she did.

“Oh but you didn’t have any problem still using my powers to get the job done. Do you realize the kind of damage I could have done without any control?” Clark was done with composure. He no longer wanted to handle Lana with kid gloves. She wasn’t that scared girl who always needed his help. He didn’t know when exactly she had lost that innocence, if she ever had it.

Chloe chose to step in before anything got out of hand. She knew that Lana deserved Clark’s ire but there was only so much that could happen before Clark did something that he would regret. After all, keeping Clark in check was the whole reason for her visit. “You don’t have to worry about that Clark, I destroyed everything. Isis and everything in it is no longer operational.”

Lana’s attempt at playing the wounded party ended with that piece of information. “You what?! You had no right to ruin all of my work. Now what am I going to do? I have to finish...” At that moment Lana finally remembered where she was and in front of whom she was speaking.

“You won’t finish anything. We’re done.” Clark stormed out of the house pulling the door so hard that it broke off the hinges. Chloe decided to follow Clark. She knew he would want space, but he also needed someone to talk him down before he set fire to the entire farm. She left Lana to realize her defeat on her own time and probably think of ways she could trick Kara into helping her pack.

Clark was thankfully only halfway to the barn when Chloe walked out the door. “Clark, stop!” He continued so Chloe yelled “If you super-speed away from me, I’ll hide so many meteor rocks on this property that you’ll never find them all.”

Clark stopped but he didn’t turn around. “That’s a low blow especially considering everything I just learned.”

Chloe walked over and faced him. “Yes, but it got you to stop. Besides you knew I wouldn’t do it. You only stopped because you were more worried about what I would do.” She knew she wouldn’t get a laugh or smile but any lift in the atmosphere would be worth it.

He wasn’t in the mood for any lightheartedness. “What do you want Chloe? Because I know you aren’t expecting me to listen to anything else Lana has to say. If you wanted a happy ending for us, you wouldn’t have said anything.”

She knew he was hurting and needed an outlet for his rage but she’d be damned if she let it be released onto her. “No, I wanted you to know and yes a part of me, a big part, even wanted you to break up with Lana. But not for my own sake, so don’t think coming here had anything to do with your relationship.” Clark needed to recognize the heart of the problem before he made the same mistake again. “I knew you needed to know everything so you had the full perspective when making choices. Clark, back there did you think for a second about what was best for Lana?”

“No, of course not. Not after what she did.” Clark didn’t know why she bothered to ask. Of course he wouldn’t put someone who could be so callous first.

“But what if she hadn’t done anything wrong? Before today, if it came down to the world being ruined or keeping Lana in your life, can you honestly tell me you wouldn’t have said ‘Screw everyone else.’?” She searched his eyes for the honesty in his answer. Unfortunately for him, there was no correct answer.

Clark thought and pushed aside his current hate of Lana to admit the truth. “No, I probably would have chosen her. Does that make me a bad person?” He tried for a defiant attitude but deep down she could tell he sincerely wanted to know.

Chloe let out a small laugh and smiled at him. “It doesn’t make you bad. It makes you…normal. But I’m not sure if you can have that luxury, especially not with someone like Lana. Find someone who can handle herself and we’ll revisit this conversation.”

“That’s what I’ve always been afraid of.” Clark stared off into the distance and Chloe knew that there was a very real chance that he would close off himself from the world entirely.

“I’m not saying that you have to give up on love. Just that you need a more worldly perspective then what Smallville can offer before you try again. So if you ever do have to choose between the world and a loved one, you can be certain that person will want you to save the world.” She held her breath hoping that everything would sink in.

Thankfully, Clark nodded his head and was back to a calmer stance. “I think I just need some time to think about what to do next. I want to be away so Lana has time to move out of the house.” He thought for a few more moments looking for a solution. “Oliver’s in Peru, so I’ll go see if he needs help and Kara can come get me when…when it’s done. You know how to reach Oliver if you need anything?”

“Yeah, I’m sure Kara and I will be fine. Take your time.” She gave him a long hug before he sped off in a southern direction.

Looking to where he disappeared, she wondered if she’d ever be able to embrace him again. She had no idea that she wouldn’t but for an entirely different reason.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Lex had made sure that any evidence of his and Chloe’s visit from the night before would never be known, just as no one would ever know that he was in his father’s office tonight.

He hadn’t slept much last night, just held Chloe in his arms as he thought about what had to be done. Once he made his decision, he didn’t want to let her go, fearing that the choice he made would make him lose her forever. He needed that time with her last night. If it was truly the last time she would ever willingly be in his presence, then he wanted to be sure neither of them would take it for granted. He wasn’t fooled by her ‘extra sleep’ anymore than he knew she was when he claimed to have gotten a good night’s rest.

He knew his father’s schedule for the day. Knew that he would be returning to his office after a business meeting. When Lionel Luthor delivered the blow to the competition, he always loved to be available when word of their frantic attempts at salvaging had failed. His “new attitude” could never cover that bit of his personality.

But Lex didn’t have an exact time for Lionel’s arrival. Just a surety that Lionel would be back at least an hour before the nightshift maintenance crew was scheduled to start work. He didn’t have anyone watching his father because he knew better than to leave ties. So he waited in a dark corner of the office. He’d spent the entire day thinking of what he would say to Lionel, but at this moment, none of that mattered. His was calm and ready for the moment to pounce. Anything else would happen on its own.

Finally, Lionel entered and went straight to his computer. Lex waited until he sat down to make his presence known. Before that moment, he thought this meeting would be dominated with the knowledge about Clark. But he wasn’t going to let that detail lead this discussion. He wanted answers that had plagued him from childhood.

“Was I worth the sacrifice?”

Lionel startled from his position at his desk. He peered into the darkness and barely saw a figure in the dark. “Lex? What nonsense are you worried about now?”

As he spoke Lex moved into the light. “I know about your plan for Clark. And I know that if it had worked, then my demise would have definitely been worth all that power. But now that it’s impossible, was the chance still worth it?” Lex didn’t let his gaze falter as he stared Lionel down.

For his part, Lionel chose not to take the road of denial. But he wasn’t willing to answer his question yet. He would not relinquish his power. He stood to face his son. “I knew I should have taken proper cautionary measures when you and Ms. Sullivan started seeing each other. I took it for granted that she was just using you to protect Clark. I’m still not sure that isn’t the case.”

Lex had been prepared for his father’s tactics. He expected that if Lionel knew about their relationship, he wouldn’t play his hand until necessary. And he wasn’t the fool who easily would fall for Lionel’s stalling techniques. “You don’t have the power to confuse me anymore, so if you could just answer the question, then we can finally complete this Greek tragedy.”

Lionel was just as tired with keeping up the pretense of everything had done was in Lex’s best interest as his son was tired of hearing it. “Yes. Even after everything, even if I can never control Clark, it would still be worth it. It was worth risking my heir because I wanted that power. Having that opportunity, and not giving anything to take it, means that I wouldn’t have been worthy of it. Clark Kent didn’t do anything to obtain his powers. They were a gift. A gift he doesn’t deserve. I fought for them. Just as I fought to build this empire.”

Lex couldn’t say he was surprised by Lionel’s admission. He had in fact been anticipating it. He still wanted to hear it. He thought hearing the words might make his actions easier. But he couldn’t deny that it hurt. And he was sick of steeling his emotions for his father’s sake. It didn’t make him more of a man. It probably only made Lionel feel more comfortable. And he didn’t own this man anything. “I once told someone that all I wanted was for you to love me… Now, I know I never had a chance. That was lost long before I was even born. At least, I now know it’s not my fault. You are just a bastard through and through.” He did feel an extreme sense of self worth to place the blame where it rightly belonged all those years. “Just one thing I don’t know. Why did you need me at all? Nothing in your files explained that.”

Lionel was feeling a sense of loss that he didn’t like. He needed a way to get Lex back on his side. Let him think that he’d won for now so he could take it all away later. For once, he gave his son the entire truth. “I was the only one who had been able to decipher the knowledge all those years ago. I knew about the caves long before Clark ever found them. I knew about the man who was needed to control Naman. I learned what needed to be done to create Sageth. I thought…”

Realization came quickly to Lex. “You could play both sides if you had control of both of us.” He wanted to kick himself for letting his father still get the better of him. “You weren’t surprised by the fact that Chloe and I broke in here. You erased the part about me so you could still go on with your plan.” Lex wanted to laugh at the audacity of his father, but he knew Lionel never let anything stop his plans. “Figured that if I didn’t know everything, then I would come to you. And as long as Chloe didn’t know about my involvement then she couldn’t warn off Clark.” He absolutely despised the fact that his father could still impress him. Whether he knew about Lana’s bug was irrelevant because he would be able to manipulate her anyway. Wasn’t exactly a brain buster.

Lionel clasped his hands on Lex’s shoulders. If truth didn’t work, then fear would. “Think about this son. By controlling Clark, I can have him wreck havoc across the world. All in our favor. I can make sure he stays away from Chloe. Ensure that she’ll never leave you for him. After all, he is the only complication you have to worry about.”

Lex pushed his shoulders back so Lionel was forced to drop his hands. He moved further away from the desk and toward Lionel’s liquor cabinet. He didn’t want a drink but he needed Lionel to be far away from his phone in order for his plan to work. He knew the older man would follow if he thought there was any chance to make Lex side with him. “You think that’s what I want? To have her love me by default?”

As expected Lionel did walk over to him. “We’re Luthors, son. It doesn’t matter how we get what we want as long as we have it.” Lionel ended in a satisfied smile.

Lex knew that in other matter, he would use every advantage, but not with Chloe. “No matter how much I manipulate the circumstances. It’s still got to be her choice. I won’t take that from her.” Once he knew Lionel was behind him, he turned around and sprayed the device in the man’s face.

Lionel backed away from the mist but was too late and had been infected. He soon felt the effects of his chest tightening. His breathing labored as his left arm started to feel num. As he began to realize what was happening to himself, he became surprised that Lex had managed to go through with it. He hadn’t lied about his thoughts in thinking Lex was weak. Still he wanted to know what pushed him over the edge. What was the reason for his demise? To take his place? To better the world? Jealousy over Clark? To protect Chloe? As payback for what he’d done to him? Watching as Lex showed no reaction beyond a hateful stare, he hunched over and barely managed to breathe out the question “Why?”

Lex wasn’t smiling as he watched his father fall to the floor. But his eyes managed to have a light within them as he continued his cold stare. His father’s final wish would not be granted. “Demand me nothing. What you know, you know. From this time forth I never will speak word.”

Lionel made a desperate attempt to crawl to his desk but by that time the poison had finished its job. Lex was methodical as he donned a glove to check for a pulse. Satisfied he left the office.

He was across town when he heard the sirens. Sadly the cleaning crew was too late when they discovered the eldest Luthor’s body.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    After making sure Kara was up to date on everything, and ignoring Lana’s bitching as she packed her things, Chloe left the farm. She knew it was pointless to call Lex and question what he was doing. If he wanted to tell her, he would, and she wasn’t going to force him into a position where she knew he would have to lie. To keep herself busy she started working on her next article. But even after forcing herself to focus on that for a few hours, it wasn’t enough to distract her. She couldn’t sum up the concentration to watch one of her favorite shows, and didn’t want to bother to watch a lame show just for background noise. Often the show would end up bothering to the point of throwing a shoe at the set. She preferred to keep her energy reserved for when Lex arrived. She had a feeling that she needed to be geared up for a fight after he made his actions known.

Instead, she chose to listen to her police scanner in order to relax. She knew that people would question such an action. But it was good for picking up the newest story, and if she wasn’t in the mood for that, then it was somehow comforting knowing that at any given point, something was happening. It was how she rationalized that the world hadn’t stop spinning and crashed into the sun. Perfect worlds only worked in theory, absence of perfection made one more thankful for what they had.

When she had heard the police dispatcher mention LuthorCorp, she raced from her bedroom, barely acknowledging whether she had shoes on and completely ignoring her coat. As she flung open her door, she saw Lex standing frozen in mid knock. She was so grateful to see him alive that she forgot everything else and crushed her body to his. She refused to relinquish her hold on him, so Lex had to move them very awkwardly through the doorway and to her couch.

He finally got her to pull away enough so they could both sit down. “Baby, everything is okay. I’m okay.”

Chloe wiped away the start of her tears. “I heard…what happened?”

Lex knew that there was no way he could lie about his involvement in Lionel’s death and stay with Chloe. If he never confirmed it, she would always wonder, always know the truth. Even if she never questioned, even if she chose to stay with him and uphold the lie, their relationship wouldn’t be the same. She could willingly ignore anything else that he did for the rest of their lives, but this would always hang over them. This was personal to both of them and he had to be open about it. He would rather have one last passionate moment of her contempt than a lifetime of passive ignorance. Even still, he wasn’t ready to say the actual words just yet. “I’ll be receiving a call soon asking me to identify my father’s body.”

Chloe let the statement sink in, not needing to ask how he knew the action would take place. Several different bits of information were passing through her mind along with different emotions. Lionel Luthor was dead and Lex pretty much admitted to committing the act. She was certain he was alone in doing so. If he didn’t ask her to help, then he wouldn’t have entrusted anyone with the task. Somewhere from inside her the thought appeared that if Lex had asked her, she probably would have told him to pass her a shovel. She couldn’t feel sadness for the man’s death, not after all she knew from years ago and all she had recently learned. But she did feel sorrow for how Lex must be dealing with everything. He was probably confused due to mixed emotions of relief, pain, and guilt. And if nothing else, then he was probably worried that he would lose her once he owned up to it. She nearly lost Lex’s love due to Lionel’s life; she wasn’t going to let his death finish the job. She took a breath to make sure her voice was calm. She pulled his face to hers so that he could trust what she said to him. “I love you. Now tell me what you are thinking.”

Hearing her confirmation that she still loved him went a long way to calm his nerves. No matter how much he told himself that Chloe was sympathetic and forgiving, there was still that nagging feeling that the worse could happen. He had all the normal reactions that a person in his position would have, but the most prominent thought was worry. And not entirely for himself. “I don’t want the cycle to continue. I don’t want…” He wasn’t entirely sure if he could press his luck, so opted to not. “…my children to ever have a reason to hate me. I don’t want them to be a continuation of my legacy. I want them to know that they make their own legacy and I’ll respect whatever it may be.”

Chloe smiled at his earnest hope. “Then I’ll make sure to hold you to that for…our children. They won’t have a reason to hate you…beyond normal teenage rebellion.” She was glad to observe Lex crack a soft smile.

He leaned back and let out the breath he had been holding. Chloe snuggled close to him, laying her head under his and closing her arms around his chest. She listened to the rest of his feelings as they waited for his phone to ring.

Clark had heard the news of Lionel’s death while working with Lionel. He chose to not return until the funeral which was that day. He allowed himself to acknowledge that he was relieved with Lionel’s passing. All favor for the man ended the day he discovered the man had kidnapped him. Chloe’s information only sealed the deal. He would use the funeral as a chance to ensure himself of the man’s death. He also learned that Lex had decided on a closed funeral but he wouldn’t let that stop him from attending, but that small detail wouldn’t stop him.

Afterwards, he planned to speak to Chloe about Oliver’s offer for her to work for him full time. As Clark had been working with the team, he felt more pride in what he had accomplished in only a couple days then what he had been doing for years in Smallville. And as long as he was there with her, he knew Chloe would be safe helping the group.

As Clark walked up the hill to the gravesite, he noticed three people standing at the burial hole. Lex, he noticed immediately and next to him was a younger man that Clark recognized as Lucas. While Lucas tried to appear somber it was obvious from even Clark’s advantage point that he wished he were anywhere else. Lex’s face was oddly blank as he stared into the grave. The last person Clark saw was a blonde woman and if his brain hadn’t subconsciously rejected the idea, he might have recognized her sooner.
    As it was, the only thought that entered his mind was that due to her proximity to Lex, she must have been his latest fling. And his mind warred between what was more audacious of Lex, to bring a date or to not have a religious figure administer some sort of final words.

Until Clark was only a few feet away did he finally see that it was Chloe who held Lex’s hand. He stood dumbfounded as to what could possibly be happening. The idea that Chloe also wanted to be sure Lionel was dead, he could believe. But that she went as far to comfort Lex was stretching his imagination. Even if she wanted to be kind, she had to know how much of a betrayal this was to him.

Lex felt Clark’s presence and squeezed Chloe’s hand as a covert warning. He lifted his eyes to watch Clark. Chloe followed a few moments after. She thought she could prepare herself for this moment. She had thought about speaking to Clark before the funeral, but Lex had been her priority. And she wasn’t going to regret that decision. Still, it hurt to watch the confusion followed by anger in Clark’s eyes pointed to her.

Lucas had sensed the tension and decided to wait for his Lex and Lex’s fiancé back at the car. Anyway, he had finished his inner monologue to Lionel that was filled partly with regret for not having more time, and partly with cursing the man for all the hardships he had placed on him.

Without saying a word, Lex let everything that needed to be known pass between him and Clark. Lionel may have started the process of Lex opposing Clark, but Lex was the one to say whether or not to continue. And he firmly believed that Clark needed someone to keep him in line. If Lex got to do as he pleased and frustrate Clark, well, then that was just a much wanted bonus.

Lex started to move in front of Chloe and walk around her to exit. He even lessoned his grip on her hand to allow her the chance to stay and speak with Clark, but she held fast and turned to leave with him. She didn’t look back. Nothing she could say to Clark would make him understand, and the same applied to whatever he would say to her. A discussion would only make each of them more livid with the other. Better to leave on some sort of unspoken finality.

As she walked away with Lex, she had the feeling that her choice had some effect on the equilibrium of the world’s fate. The sides didn’t matter. But she couldn’t be sure whether she had helped create balance or completely tipped the scales.

The End

AN2: Lex’s final words to Lionel were written by William Shakespeare. Finding out which character spoke them means you find my favorite Shakespearian character.

Re: More than Meets the Eye (R) Update: 4/9/08, Ch.15 (Alternate S7)

I can't believe that's the end. I really liked that there wasn't a big confrontation at the end - everything's been said and done and there's no changing it; what is there left but to move forward?

And is that Iago?

Re: More than Meets the Eye (R) Update: 5/1/08 Complete (Alternate S7)

Fantastic update.

Lana is dicovered to be the lying manipulative bitch she is and doesn't get off the hook and virganized.

Clark finally gets off his ass and becomes who he is meant to be.

Lex knew that there was no way he could lie about his involvement in Lionel’s death and stay with Chloe. If he never confirmed it, she would always wonder, always know the truth. Even if she never questioned, even if she chose to stay with him and uphold the lie, their relationship wouldn’t be the same. She could willingly ignore anything else that he did for the rest of their lives, but this would always hang over them. This was personal to both of them and he had to be open about it. He would rather have one last passionate moment of her contempt than a lifetime of passive ignorance.
    All I have is utter love for this. Perfect just perfect.

As she walked away with Lex, she had the feeling that her choice had some effect on the equilibrium of the world’s fate. The sides didn’t matter. But she couldn’t be sure whether she had helped create balance or completely tipped the scales.
    Seeing the direction the show is taking you just gave me the perfect series finale. Thank you.

But damn it this means you won't fix the crap that was Sleeper and Apocalypse. Ah well if it ends in Descent then the rest just didn't exist.

Once again thanks for this wonderful take on the season.

Rocio

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by purplemoon123 View Post

But damn it this means you won't fix the crap that was Sleeper and Apocalypse. Ah well if it ends in Descent then the rest just didn't exist.
    Watching Sleeper just confirmed what I knew when I made the decision to end this now, nothing in the final episodes would be helpful to this fic. I thought about doing a one-shot for Sleeper just to use the tango scene and replace Jimmy with Lex but I couldn't figure on how to get that to work. Plus I've read other stories with similar ideas/concepts and frankly they did it better so I won't mess with perfection.

But long before I found out about Apocalypse, I had a plan for an Alternate World fic where Clark wishes away the Luthors' involvement in his life. I've still got some background stuff to work on, but I will be starting it soon. Just so you know, "soon" can mean like months from now for me. It won't be a rewrite because I'm not using anything that Apocalypse used to make it happen.

Oh and wtg zho9

Quote Originally Posted by westwingwolf View Post
    But long before I found out about Apocalypse, I had a plan for an Alternate World fic where Clark wishes away the Luthors' involvement in his life. I've still got some background stuff to work on, but I will be starting it soon. Just so you know, "soon" can mean like months from now for me. It won't be a rewrite because I'm not using anything that Apocalypse used to make it happen.
    Take as long as you need. I'll be here waiting.

Who would use anything from that craptastic episode?? Well maybe George Dean. He was purty. And no I'm not betraying my Chlex. Granted he was only in one scene but the fact that he wasn't eye fucking every other chick in the near vicinity, makes him full of win.

Sorry got sidetracked. Will be waiting for the Alternate World fic.

Rocio.

NS Full Member

It was really a great story!!
    I am impatient to read your next story.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Oh my goodness what a fabulous ending. I loved how in the end she chose Lex. I am not sad about it.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

I would really enjoy to see more this season rewritten. Lex taking out Lionel in this fashion made so much more sense. It wasn't a big dramatic show it was personal and very close to something his father would have. Using Iago's last words was a great touch.

Great ending.

Kill Lana

*Shivers* For some reason that totally gave me goosebumps! loved the last line. I loved the Lex's last words to his father. Very fitting and very Lex. I haven't really watched any of this season, but this re-write seems like the real thing! great writing WWW. Loved the Chlex. Loved Chloe for saying she wants Lex's children and i love how you put Lucas at the end there. It's like SV just completely forgot about the younger Luthor "dunleavy". Anyway great work. I hope you'll do more re-writes.

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

Re: More than Meets the Eye (R) Update: 5/1/08 (Alternate S7)

Amazing fic
    Loved the ending
    Malu

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information