+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Down and a Longshot (NC-17) finished 4/6/08

Re: 4th Down and a Longshot (NC-17) updated 1/27/08

I missed the earlier Jan Update. My Bad. This story continues to be terrific with your characterizations. I Like that you made everyone more real. Chloe is flawed and her using the K as an insuranse was her thinking she could keep thing under control. I like that Clark admitted his deeper feelings for Chloe. I esp like how you've written Lex. Now on with the making up. Dagney

PS I like how the high school kids ( in any small town) knew all about the relationships.

NS Full Member

Talking Re: 4th Down and a Longshot (NC-17) updated 1/27/08

Fantastic!! Two updates in one day!! I hope they get back together.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Aww I missed this update. Lex get over yourself and make up with Chloe.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

I just caught up on this story, and man, it is excellent!

I especially loved this bit:

Disappointed in myself for ever giving anyone in this town, including you and Clark, the impression that I was that kind of manipulative jerk.” Stopping, he looked at Chloe’s face and her panting through her tears. “Maybe this was a bad idea.”
    Lex found out a lot of useful information during that fateful game: Clark wanted Chloe as a back up plan, the boys of Smallville High were scared of Chloe's awesomeness, Clark was affected by the meteor rocks, and Chloe used that knowledge to hurt her best friend.

I can understand why Lex is pulling back from Chloe and Clark. All he wants is to be trusted by the people he loves, and he's been disappointed more times then he can count.

I also understand Chloe's point: she thought she was protecting the man she loves from a BDA with a grudge. And I also understand that she isn't going to beg Lex's forgiveness either, but she could at least try and talk to him.

I do like that Clark and Lionel are trying to help Chloe and Lex get back together in their own ways, but the Chlex are stubborn.

This story is wonderful, and I can't wait to see what happens next
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Thanks for the updates, I really like this story.You broke them, please fix them! They are both stubborn and one of them needs to bend unless they will stay broken.Loved it! Thank you.

I really wish CHloe would have won Prom Queen . It's something I always loved about her. Regardless thou, awesome update! Really sad still...but I wonder what's gonna happen .

Not gonna lie. Clark and Lana just piss me off here...

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This fic truly needs to be updated!

Please come back soon, and have Lex and Chloe get back together--PPLLLEEEAASSSEEE??????!!!!!!

I'll beg some more if it's required
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

A/U - Thanks for all those waiting patiently until I 1) Came up with something to write and 2) to have the time to do something. I promise that the it won't take as long next time. So, here's the almost ending.

Throw Out the Playbook –

Clark sat and stared at the wall in front of him. Six months had passed. He and Lana still kept in touch, but things were different in Kansas now. The Jayhawks were the up and coming team without a quarterback. Clark had received the call a few hours earlier – he was going to picked up for full scholarship where the team had a prayer against their rivals. Still, Clark stared at the picture on the desk and wondered what had happened to keep him from enjoying the moment.

Flipping through his calendar, Lex wrote in the next meeting of the company’s advising team. The last six months had gone by in a flash. The mansion was all but empty of a few large furnishing pieces. The penthouse was his comfort zone now.

He picked up his tumbler and sat comfortably on the leather couch and flipped on the evening news. Metropolis had much more going for it than Smallville ever did. He threw his feet up on the living room table and slunk further back into the couch.

“Sir, this just came for you,” Robert quietly announced as he handed the envelope to Lex. Lex stared at the address and smiled. He had actually begun talking to Clark again about a month earlier.

The conversation had started out about a journalism class and went into politics. Lex had been impressed that Clark had actually become fantastically worldly once he escaped from Smallville. With apprehension, he had also asked about Lana and Chloe.

Clark explained that Lana enjoyed her small town life and continued to fight to keep the Talon open even now that Lex had sold his half away. He had offered to buy the whole thing out from under her and give it to her, but she wanted to fight for it just the same.

Chloe was a different story. No one had heard from her since her first class plane ticket landed her in New York. Gabe moved shortly after she left, but he had left no forwarding address. It was for the best, Lex repeated to himself mentally. He knew that he easily could have her tailed, but she was too smart and would have had his head. He had flings before; he had women take him and leave him. He would survive without her.

Taking a large sigh, he pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned back into the couch, staring at the envelope. “Hey.”

Opening his eyes, he blew the long sandy blonde hair dangling above his face out of the way. He smiled and then ripped the envelope open.

“Are you coming?” Lex looked up at the woman and casually rubbed his hand along her arm.

“I’m tired tonight – go on without me.” He kissed her cheek lightly and watched as the woman in the red dress exit his living room. Grace was kind enough, gentle enough, and strangely familiar to him. But she knew he was holding back – Lex himself knew he was holding back. It wasn’t like getting back on the horse like before. Banging useless women night after night didn’t appeal to him anymore.

Grace was a small gem he found delivering coffee to the first floor computer transcriptionists for the corporation. She had personality and poise. She wasn’t like the other women and quickly would dive away from cameras when with Lex. He enjoyed her quiet, unassuming side, but it always saddened him. She was closer to his age and was somewhat cultured. He took one last glance as the last bit of material flowed around the corner and looked back at the envelope.

If you can make it, I’m starting against K State. Scared to death. Clark.

Lex pulled the tickets out of the envelope and laughed. “Sure, what’s one more football game.”

“God, I forgot how evil winter was back here in Kansas.” Chloe leaned over and hugged Lana tightly and sat down next to her in the stadium. “So, have you caught Clark warming up?”

Lana pointed at the speck on the stadium and smiled. “Yeah, he’s number 12. His throwing is pretty good, although he seems to overthrow a little if you know what I mean.” Chloe smiled to herself knowing it was his nervousness overcompensating. “Oh, Chloe, this is Mark and Denise. Denise is Clark’s new girlfriend, and I’ve told you about Mark.”

Chloe leaned over and shook the hands of the two newcomers. “Nice to meet you and to finally put a face with the name. Mark, Lana talks about you all the time. I’m so glad to hear that you got her to come to her senses and settle down and hire some help for the Talon.”

Chloe genuinely smiled at the two and then around the stadium. Looking up to her side, she saw a man in jeans sit down beside her and another woman kneel next to him. “Chloe, I hear and see that New York is treating you well. Congrats on the NYU scholarship. You have really made a name for yourself outside of Smallville.” Chloe grinned from ear to ear and hugged the man next to her ferociously.

“Mr. and Mrs. Kent, I think Clark will soon make his own name for himself. How are you guys?”

“Nervous,” Martha dropped as she shivered in the snow that had started to fall. “Jonathon, the kickoff.” Jonathon looked up briefly and saw the teams lining up on either side of the field and saw Clark getting a couple last practice passes off. “We’re in the parent section if you guys need anything. Good to see you again Chloe.”

Chloe watched the game and briefly glanced over in Lana’s direction. Lana finally looked happy and not the least bit unnerved by Denise. The two laughed and screamed as Clark scored a run in touchdown himself and pointed back to the stands where everyone was sitting.

“So, you really don’t miss all of this?”

Chloe looked over at Lana whose arm was intertwined with her new handsome man. “Honestly, no. School is challenging, work is fulfilling, and dating is palpable.”

Lana curled her lip and squinted in confusion. “Sounds like one thing could improve.”

“No, I’m truly happy with where everything is falling right now. My career is important to me.” Chloe smiled at Lana and then looked back at the game.

Lana looked past Chloe at the empty seat and wondered if he would show. Clark and Lana had discussed the idea, but Clark had warned against the meeting since Lex was involved. “Mark, come with me – I want to get a couple drinks.” Mark smiled at Chloe and helped Lana out of the tight seat.

“Chloe, you need anything?”

“Coke would be great, unless you need me to come with.”

“No, we’re good – enjoy the game. Besides, Denise needs to be watched – she’s not going to have any fingernails by the time the game is over.” Chloe looked over at Denise who was wringing her hands together nervously. She obviously had not been let in on Clark’s secret. Chloe wondered if he would ever meet anyone who he could tell himself. From what she understood from Clark’s brief conversations, Lex had even refused to ask of such things.

“Clark will do a great job. He rarely gets injured.”

Denise looked nervously at Chloe and sat on her own hands. “I know. Clark is trying to break my habit – he says he’ll be fine, but this is first major game – he usually just sits on the bench. So, I’m a little nervous.”

Chloe wrapped her arms around the new flame for Clark. Talking to her a little longer brought about the young woman’s background. From Piedmont, she had been her school’s salutatorian. Majoring in chemical engineering, she had been Clark’s lab partner the first few weeks in their chemistry class. Her brown hair was reminiscent of another brunette but the small bob cut was simple and her dress was understated.

“Thanks Chloe. Clark was right – he has the best friends in the world.” Denise patted Chloe on the glove-covered hand and turned back to the game.

Lana waited in line with her arm wrapped around Mark and watched as the people in bright blue and purple walk back and forth through the tunnel searching for bathrooms and food. Doing a double take, she watched as a handsome bald man walked around the corner of the stairway and dropped his phone into his pocket. Flipping the ticket around in his fingers, he eyed the numbers written on the concrete.

“You know I would have thought that you would have at least tried to upgrade your ticket to a comfy box seat somewhere,” Lana halfway hollered in the direction of the man.

Looking over, halfway laughed and embraced Lana carefully seeing the man she was with. “I thought about it, but I thought Clark had gone to the trouble.”

“Well, you and I both know Clark deserved to go to some trouble. Hey, this is Mark, my boyfriend and the new Talon manager. I started community college and left him in charge.”

Mark looked over the man that came eye to eye with him. “The great Lex Luthor, I would shake your hand, but obviously,” Mark answered while readjusting his grip on everything ordered.

“Here,” Lex took one drink from his grip and nodded in acknowledgement of their meeting. “Are we going the same way?”

“Yeah, Clark got us all seats together, but, “Lana looked around slightly confused, “you’re alone.”

“Yeah, let’s just say that ship sailed to Milan last weekend.” Lana watched Lex’s eyes drop and quickly meet back with hers.

“So this way then.” Lana motioned Lex first as they descended the stairs. She stopped halfway down noticing that Lex was walking at a faster pace than Mark could keep up with. “Stop here,” she said as she grabbed Mark’s sleeve, nearly causing him to drop their drinks. “Come back up in the tunnel with me.”

Lana turned around and watched as Lex continued down the stairs.

Lex turned and glanced up behind him as Lana and Mark disappeared among the other football patrons during halftime. Looking down at the drink in his hand, he counted the remainder of the rows and stopped. The blonde with hair beyond her shoulders sat bundled in a dark green overcoat next to what looked like Clark’s new girlfriend. Lex squeezed his forehead in frustration and sighed. Continuing down the stairs, he sat quietly in the end seat while the two women continued to talk.

“Hey, I have to go check in with the Kents. I’ll be back in a bit before the third quarter.” Denise smiled at Chloe and then fought her way through the people to make it out of the row.

Chloe watched to make sure she didn’t fall and giggled at her small stumble at the end of the row. Denise and Clark would make the perfect couple; they both were clumsy. Nodding her head, Chloe looked back at the field to watch the band. They were all the same; sounded just like high school bands.

“This is yours I suppose.” Lex slid the drink in the cup holder next to Chloe and quickly retreated back into his seat. He sat silently with his hands buried in the pockets of his trench coat wrapped around him.

Chloe glanced over and then stared at the drink sitting next to her. “Thanks, “ she quietly responded. Staring blankly ahead, Chloe continued. “Grace is unusually fresh breeze for you.”

She heard Lex sigh slightly and scoff. “That breeze as you call it is in Milan.”

“Fashion Week?” Chloe and Lex continued to stare straight forward as if the field was so important not to miss something.

“She got a job there.” Lex glanced over in Chloe’s direction but she never returned the glance.

The two sat silently through the remainder of the halftime, never meeting each other’s glances. Mark, Lana, and Denise finally returned after what felt like an eternity and sat down in their original seats. “Thanks for the drink Lana, “ Chloe dropped casually.

Lana sat with her arm around Mark and continued glancing in Chloe’s direction nodding for her to make some kind of move. Lex looked continuously tense but cheered silently as Clark moved the ball down in the field through the third quarter.

Sitting sideways with her back to Lex became uncomfortable quickly. Adjusting her feet under her, she tried to move her leg and noticed her knee popped painfully. Grabbing the armrest of the seat, she felt the warmth of the hand on the rest and quickly let go, falling forward.

“Are you ok?” Chloe glanced over and saw the arm that caught her mid dive into the row in front of her. Removing her other foot from under her seat, she sat correctly in the seat as Lex let go of her and sat back in his seat. “Chloe?”

Glancing over at him, Chloe raised her chin to him and put on her brave face. “I’m fine. Thanks. Really.” Chloe looked back at Lana and sneered. The remainder of the game Chloe sat in pain from the odd pop in her knee, but briefly smiled in Lex’s direction to continue the charade.

The game slowed up as Kansas handily had Kansas State on the run. Clark had definitely done his job in his debut and would most likely be playing the starting position for many games to come. Chloe continued to cheer him on with the rest of his friends.

Lex watched as she would lean over and talk to Lana and Denise. He would close his eyes at times just recording the voice to his memory. Feeling the pressure of the fourth quarter clock counting down to the final minute of the game, he glanced over Chloe’s shoulder and looked at Lana.

“Mark, let’s get down there with his folks where we can get to see him.” Lana grabbed Mark and Denise and started out of the aisle. Chloe got up and grabbed her cup, feeling a hand grip around her wrist.

Looking back, Chloe took a deep breath. “Chloe, this is stupid. Talk to me.”

Chloe looked down at his hand and pulled away. Taking her cup, she slid past Lex and into the aisle. She felt the warmth of his body as she swept by him and a tingle went through her body. She had moved to New York to avoid this. The city there was big enough to avoid this; she had tried to honestly move on.

To his credit, he had let her. Chloe knew that he could have had her followed. Luthorcorp had on an office a block from her work. She could see in the windows from her floor. But in six months he had not tried once. She had admired him silently for six months for that. He had finally learned to let go, or so she thought.

Chloe glanced back and watched as Lex readjusted his coat and clapped for the end of the game. Taking a deep breath, she cussed herself out silently and watched as people started filling the aisle. “Dammit, come on before the aisle fills up.”

Lex looked up behind him at Chloe’s outstretched hand. Taking her hand, he excused himself around the people that stared at the young billionaire winding his way through the crowd following the perky blonde.

Denise flew into Clark’s arms as he twirled her around. “You were great honey.”

Lana stood back and took a deep breath seeing Clark happy with his new love.

“The game was great Clark. Congrats on player of the game.” Clark hugged Lana and looked around as he shook his father’s hand.

“Where’s Chloe? I thought she was coming?” Lana looked up in the stands and saw their seats empty. She watched Clark squint and then shake his head. “I guess she had someone else to catch up with.” Pointing up to the top of the entrance, Lana could barely make out her figure making a corner with a man that was unmistakably Lex.

Chloe walked briskly through the tunnels surrounding the stadium with Lex halfway in tow. Catching up to her, he intertwined his fingers in hers as she squared up her shoulders and paced faster. He kept in constant time with her until they got out to the parking lot and the crowds thinned.

“It’ll take us forever to get out of this mess,” Chloe absently announced as she undid her fingers from his and clicked her rental car unlocked. Tossing her bag in the back, she sat in the driver’s seat and started the car. She sat silently in the car and wondered if the figure on the passenger side was gong to get in the car or walk away.

Lex stood next to the car and closed his eyes. He had prolonged this moment for six months. He knew which window in the New York News building was hers. He had made four trips to New York specifically to see her, to win her back. They had all failed miserably. His nerve gave out. He had come close he remembered; he had stood in the newsroom and watched her type at her desk before letting the elevator close and take him back downstairs and to his office. The office directly across from her news desk, only a block away.

Lex took the handle of the car door and slowly opened the door. Sitting down in the passenger seat, he looked blankly ahead and waited for what Chloe would say. ‘Get out,’ came to his mind, but all he heard was silence. He silently prayed for a word, a touch, anything.

“Go.” Chloe spoke frankly and looked directly at Lex. Lex turned and stared at the young woman that had grown up so quickly over the last six months. He suddenly felt he was behind. Staring into her eyes, he felt his chest tighten and his head ache. “Well? You said I was stupid. I took the bait. So here we are. Now, go.”

Lex turned and took her hand in his hand. Rubbing his thumb up and down the back of her hand. “I miss you.” Chloe nodded but no other reaction. Lex waited to see if she said anything else.

Trying again, he guided his hand up her arm, caressing her shoulder. Chloe shuddered slightly as the touch became lighter and yet more intense. She could feel her heart race and glanced down to see if her heart had pumped itself out her chest. Swallowing, she held her composure, looking directly at him.

“Chloe, I still love you. And I have no idea anymore who was at fault and don’t care.” Lex rubbed the back of his hand along Chloe’s cheek. Taking the back of her neck gently in his hand, he pulled her into him.

Before their lips met, Chloe broke her silence. “Did you sleep with her?”

Lex let go of Chloe and sat back in the seat. Looking her face to face, he couldn’t lie to her. He wanted her and he would have to be straight with her even if he lost her forever.

“Yes.”

Chloe choked and coughed at the response. Lex gently rubbed her back and waited for her to push him away, but she didn’t. She leaned into his hand momentarily. “Do you love her?”

“Never,” Lex somberly answered looking straight forward. “It’s always been you,” Lex answered and looked at her.

“I’m so sorry,” Chloe grabbed her head anguish and collapsed across the seat into Lex’s chest, sobbing. Lex wrapped both arms around her back and kissed the top of her head. Leaning into her, he whispered in her ear.

“Your turn.”

Chloe sat up and wiped her face with the Kleenex that Lex had pulled from the glove compartment. Chloe stared at Lex as her bottom lip and chin quivered in reaction to his sudden calmness. She could feel his hand on her arm but knew it easily could be on the door. “Well?”

Chloe sat up and stared at Lex silently for more than minute wondering if she never said anything how long she could hold onto the moment. Lex’s eyes dropped to the floor as he straightened up in his seat. Putting his hands in his lap, he watched the last few cars start up around them and knew it was time to go.

“Goodbye Chloe,” he touched her hand but felt her other hand hold his down.

Barely audible, Chloe whispered, “Don’t do this again Lex. I love you. Stay.”

TBC

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Re: 4th Down and a Longshot (NC-17) updated 3/21/08

Yeah you update and I so hope that the next chapter Lex stays. I can't take this back and forth anymore. Please don't make Lex stupid again.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Cool Re: 4th Down and a Longshot (NC-17) updated 3/21/08

UPDATE soon I dying to know if Lex and Chloe get together

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information