+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting It Right (R) (Sequel to Nobody’s Hero)

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

Re: Getting It Right (R) Chapter 3 1/24/08 (Sequel to Nobody’s Hero)

wow!!! that was great. a perfect ending to all the stories.

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Getting It Right (R) Chapter 4 5/9/08 (Sequel to Nobody’s Hero)

Notes: This is the first I have posted in while with out lj reading it first so I hope its alright.

Chapter 4 Taken

Chloe’s dreams were becoming increasingly worse. At the start of it Lex had pushed them aside because she said she was fine. During her waking hours she seemed to be alright, but there was something looming he couldn’t get a handle on.

She tossed and turned at night. At first it lasted a few seconds, and the next time it lasted as long as Lex could watch her before waking her. The last time she woke her self up. It was going on a few weeks of her telling him it was nothing and Lex had enough of it.

They were able to be in public now but, for some reason Chloe wanted to stay in more. She seemed to want to hide out when they were together. When Lex moved back to Metropolis the move put him back in city where he belonged, but it put Chloe at a disadvantage.

She was being followed. The press could be cruel and on the pages of the style section she found her self being the object of their cruelty. Mostly they spoke about where they were seen together and from time to time her age was in question. Chloe was beautiful and more fashionable then many starting reporters at the Daily Planet but being caught sneezing was enough for them to poke fun at.

Being out in public was supposed make things better. Lex didn’t have to hide anymore and it should be a freeing experience, but Chloe didn’t see it that way. For some reason it made her want to retreat.

They were falling into a routine that was slowly being disrupted. She was pulling away and Lex could feel it every time they were together. Her time was spent more in the basement of Daily Planet or in her dorm room at Met U then with him.

In an effort to see more of her Lex pushed for the weekend to be spent at the manor. The isolation of the estate might put Chloe at ease. Before heading back there to meet her he had another matter to attend to.

What Clark spoke of that last time he saw him was now missing. The warehouse holding the black ship was in chaos. The ship disappeared the night before without a trace.

As Lex reviewed the footage his staff’s description was spot on. The ship was there the night before, safe and secure then something started to move for the bottom of the ship. Whatever it was Lex would never know because the clear picture on the screen suddenly went snowy.

“Is this the same for all the cameras” Lex questioned his jumpy head of staff Edgar Cole.

“Yes.” Poor Edgar’s nerves were getting the best of him. Lex barely heard the answer.

“Don’t worry Edgar I’m not going to hurt. Lex looked away from the screen to see Edgar adjusting his glasses. Coming into the warehouse Lex wasn’t pleased and it was getting to everyone around him.

“Sir your mood doesn’t make that rea…reass… reassuring.” He wiped the sweat from his brow and looked as if he might vomit any moment.

“Tell me what you do know Mr. Cole.” Lex was on edge but he was doing is best to keep it in check. Nothing seemed to be going right at the moment and this was just making it harder to keep his cool.

“There was this.” Edgar waved to a waiting staff member that brought over a glass tube with something held in the center of it. Once it was in his hands Edgar presented it to Lex as if he should guess what it was.

“This shard of something should be what?” Lex noted with a sarcastic tone.

“It was the only thing left from the ship.” Edgar paused to pop a pill. Recently Lex let his medical team help him with his nervous twitches. After he downed the meds his voice steadied some. “It gives off the same readings as the ship and it has similar properties to light like the green rocks.”

Lex put it together quickly. This was new form of the meteor rocks that came from the ship. He knew what the green did to Clark. Chloe told him what the red would do to him. Now there was a small piece that had even more possibilities.

“Keep running test.” Lex spoke handing the glass tube back. “Keep me updated on the search for the black ship. I want it found before someone else gets to it.”

“I’ll do my best Mr. Luthor.” Edgar turned away placing down the new artifact but Lex wasn’t finish talking.

His hands extended towards him and his anger wasn’t as in control as he thought. Lex turned Edgar towards him pushing the poor man into the nearest object in the room. “You need to do better then your best to complete this task. Its obvious to me your best is subpar. Disappointment again and you will need more then your new pills to keep your self in check Mr. Cole.”

Edgar nodded furiously in responds. When Lex let him go he was reminded of the other people in the room. They were all looking but once he turned to them they all went back to what they were doing.

His outburst could work in his favor or it could scare his staff away. There was so much power hiding with in the black ship. He had every right to an outburst now that it was missing. If there was one alien ship then there could be another. Lex need to harness its power before someone else got to it first.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

When Lex arrived at the manor there was no one there to greet him. He was told Chloe had arrived but she wasn’t in any of the usual places. The room that was set for her had her things there but she wasn’t there. She hadn’t taken to wondering around the grounds so there were only a few places she could be.

The kitchen was also a bust and now the study. The study was his last resort to where she was since it was a major hub for the security system. As he viewed over the manor and the grounds Lex was reminded of how lonely it was living there.

He got site of her and Chloe was far off in the south wing. The area was closed for sometime now but she was outside on one of the patios.

Now that he knew where she was Lex made his way to the south wing. When he reached the doors leading out to the patio they were already open. She was sitting in a chair looking out into the darkness. The area had no lighting on and she was looking at nothing.

“What are you doing out here?” When Lex spoke she turned to look him.

“I wanted to see what was out here.” She spoke then turned back.

He took the chair next to her reaching out for her hand. She shied away from him. It wasn’t a shock because they hadn’t been physical for a while now. Like many a time before Lex pushed back the need to pull her to him and remind her of what it was like when they were close.

“There isn’t much to see in the dark.” Lex looked out again trying to see something but finding nothing. “I could turn the lights on.”

“No.” She looked to him as she spoke. “I can see what I need to see.”

“What is that?” His concern was pushed into over load when she replied.

She turned then extended her arm out into the abyss as she answered. “I see nothing.”

The way the words came out was so disturbing. When she spoke it was as if she was talking about her self and not the view. Then the look on her face brought him back to place he didn’t want to be.

This was how she was when Genevieve died. Chloe was at such a lost she left him. He couldn’t let that happen again.

“Chloe we really need to talk about what’s going on with you.” He waited for a responds but got none. “Chloe please look at me.”

There was something very wrong with the way things were going. Finally being honest with Chloe and having her in his life was supposed to be what they both wanted. It didn’t seem she wanted it anymore.

“I don’t really want to talk.” She answered still keeping her gaze in front of her then suddenly she was on her feet moving in front of him.

“What are you doing?” His questions keep coming but he was getting no answers. Instead of speaking her body moved to straddle on top of his.

Chloe’s eyes meet his head on and he knew the look. She wanted him and after not wanting for so long it was relief to see that she could still feel that.

“You don’t want to talk either.” Her voice was low and after she spoke a sly half smile followed. “Do you?”

“I do want to talk.” Lex was having a hard time with this. He wanted to let his body do as it pleased but something wasn’t right.

Yet Chloe didn’t seem to care that something was off. Her lips descended on him before he could say another word. The kiss that followed was long over do. It wasn’t gentle or sweet, but pulsing and rough. Her tongue didn’t waste time moving into his mouth and giving him a run for his money.

Lex did as pleased wrapping his arms around her body pulling her closer to him. For a moment he pulled away to let his lips traveling down her chin to her neck. As he was nibbling at her pulse Lex heard something unexpected.

Chloe was sobbing.

He stopped immediately to look at her. When he saw her face it was flushed and tears were streaming all over. “What is it?” There were so many questions haunting him now.

Did the thought of touching him make her want to cry? Could it be whatever kept her up at night was surfacing? There was also the worse question of all.

Was she was leaving him and didn’t know how to tell him?

“I don’t know, I don’t know…” She repeated the words over and over until he stopped her by pulling her closer so he could hug her.

“I can’t help if you don’t tell me something.”

“I think I’m losing it.” Chloe murmured to him softly between sobs.

When he went to her after graduation Chloe mention feeling like she was losing her self. She said that she felt as if she was turning into her mother. This could be fear without any cause.

“You’re not losing anything.” Lex moved to take her face into his hands as he made his point. “You are strong and you’re nothing like her.”

He could see she knew what he meant as she answered. “I can’t keep my self from being like my mother Lex. Its happening no matter how strong you think I am.”

Now that he had a problem there was something he could do. “Let’s go see my doctors. Let’s figure out what this is together.”

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

There was nothing Lex could now but stand and wait. He watched the door leading to the doctor he called that was now speaking with Chloe. When he felt like he couldn’t take anymore Lex went for the door that was quickly opened before he could do the job.

Simon Troche stepped out of the room with his clip board in had. “What’s wrong with her?” Lex went right in to it needing to know it all as soon as possible.

Dr. Troche cleared his throat before answering and seemed to be picking his words wisely. “Physically she’s healthy but…”

“But what!” He didn’t mean to but he yelled interrupting him. The man should know better then to sugar coating what was going on. This was the love of his life and he be damned if he didn’t get the truth now.

Dr. Troche got the point and answered quickly. “According to her mother’s catatonic type schizophrenia diagnoses it appears she is showing early signs of schizophrenia.”

Lex’s eyes widen. When Chloe found her mother Lex had recently learned the outcome wasn’t as expected. Moria Sullivan was motionless and had been for years. The thought of Chloe becoming just like that shot fear through him like he never felt before.

“Is this normal?” Lex looked to the door afraid of what was behind it. “Should she be showing signs of the disease this early in her life?”

“It’s genetic for Chloe and she could have never showed any signs of the disease but social aspects of her life have influence. Something could have happened recently that has placed her in this position. The not sleeping, the lack of intimacy with you and what you saw with her tonight could all have to deal with something lurking in her subconscious that leads to more symptoms then finally the disease taking over.”

Lex knew what was lurking. Chloe was keeping so many secrets. The people in her life she could turn to other then him were all gone. She couldn’t tell her father and Clark was pushed out of her life as well thanks to him.

She was being taken away because of what he had done.

“How do we deal with it?” There was only making it right now. He didn’t have to lose her to this. In the end he might even be able to bring Moria back to Chloe once she was healthy.

“I can prescribe some medication and I suggest she starts keeping a journal of her feelings so we can pinpoint what type of schizophrenia she has.”

Lex slanted his eyes at him. He meant dealing with this very differently. Dr. Troche was the head of special projects working with neurological disorders and it was time he showed him what he could do. “I think you know what I mean about what can be done.”

The doctor wiped his brow and swallowed hard before answering. “Sir many of those techniques are experimental. I don’t know if you want to subject Ms. Sullivan to…”

Lex moved in on the man making sure he understood what he was about to say. “I don’t care about that. Nothing is taking Chloe away from me. So we will do whatever we have to in order to stop this from ruining her life.”

“Of course Mr. Luthor.” The doctor inched away. He waited for Lex to nod and he took his leave to get to work.

Lex need to do the same now because Chloe was waiting for him. As he went into the room Lex couldn’t let fear take him over. There was no way he was going to let her sit there alone thinking he wasn’t going to support her in this. He was the cause and he would be there every step of the way.

When he moved into the room she was looking right at him. “Did he tell you?” Her face was still flush, but at least she stopped crying for the moment.

“It doesn’t matter what he said.” Lex started moving into the room. “You are going to be fine.” He tried to make the words believable, but he was having a hard time believing them.

Chloe saw right through him. “Just make sure you put flowers that I like inside my padded cell.” A nervous chuckle followed her bad joke.

“That’s not funny.” Lex was sitting next to her now taking her hand into his. “This is not taking you.” Lex finally had the convention he need. Looking into her eyes he had to make this right. Even if she needed to be away from him in the end Chloe deserved a better life then this.

At one time Lex needed someone to save him and Chloe was his hero. Now he wanted to be hers. When she looked at him this time she could tell he meant what he said. Her head leaned into him and rested on his chest. Lex just held her until she fell asleep.

They didn’t speak a word, but Lex let his firm grip tell her he wasn’t leaving. When she was asleep at last Lex repositioned them on the bed. He didn’t sleep that night and just watched over Chloe. That night she didn’t toss and turn. It had to be because she knew he was going to fix this.

Chloe wouldn’t be taken from him again.

TBC

Chapter 5 Getting it Right

Notes: Only one more chapters of this one to go. Don’t forget to check the new update for Crawling Back if you have been reading it.
    Last edited by letia84; 9th October 2008 at 07:27. Reason: note change

NS Full Member

Re: Getting It Right (R) Chapter 4 5/9/08 (Sequel to Nobody’s Hero)

Your story is really great!
    I hope that all will be OK for Chloe and Lex.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

It's heartbreaking that Chloe has to go through this, but at least she has Lex. And I know he won't let her slip away without a fight. I so so so hope that he will be able to prevent her illness from taking her away. He's done so much to make sure this life isn't horrible and she's done so much for him, neither of them deserve this.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Aww that was so sad. I hope Lex can help.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Very sad but it's good that Lex won;t give up on her. You did a great job, an excellent update.

The last two chapters were awesome! I feel so bad for Chloe, it's so heartbreaking to see her losing herself to her mothers illness... and poor Lex, he finally gets rid of Lionel, and Chloe and him don't have to hide their relationship anymore... and than this happens... But I love that Lex is there and so supportive, hopefully he can find a way to help her. I look forward to reading the next chapter!!

Loved that Lex is going to stand by her. Great Chapter. Can't wait to read more!

More please.

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Getting It Right (R) Chapter 5 10/13/08 (Sequel to Nobody’s Hero)

Chapter 5 Getting it Right

Lex didn’t want to have this talk but it had to be done. He needed help if his plan was to work. The fact that he had to humble himself to Clark Kent after everything made him cringe.

To make this encounter a little easier on himself, Lex was about to pour a tall glass of scotch but then decided against it. He needed to be fully alert when Clark arrived.

The meteor rocks protecting his home were removed earlier that day. Clark could appear in front of him at any moment. The only reason Clark agreed to come had nothing to do with their falling out or the missing black ship. It was all about one person.

Chloe was getting worse.

No matter how many drugs or tests Lex gave her she was slowly slipping away. Last night, when Lex was with Chloe, he just watched her stare off at nothing for three hours. It brought him to tears when she wouldn’t answer him. He knelt down in front of her squeezing her hand to shake her out of her trance.

When he was shouting at the top of his lungs the doctor had to remove him. Before he left he watched them drug her so she could sleep. Lex didn’t sleep at all that night. He lied in bed seeing Chloe’s blank expression.

It was going on a month since all of this started. At first the meds helped her. Chloe was active at work and at school. She still wanted to be with him. For a while he had her back but quickly the sweet and salty Chloe that he knew was slowly slipping away.

Before she was being drugged to sleep Chloe’s nights were longer. She would stay awake at night looking at nothing. That made her days shorter because she was too exhausted to move once her mind was freed her from the night before. Then the worst of it happened while she was at work. In the basement of the Daily Planet Chloe froze at her desk. They sent her to the hospital at once.

She was in Lex’s facility now. There was no way he would let her go to Belle Reeve. He promised her she would never be like her mother. It was time to keep his promise.

Sitting very still at his desk Lex waited for Clark’s arrival. Without warning, just like he thought, Clark appeared in front of him. It seemed as if he was over his fear of showing Lex what he already knew about his powers.

Clark super sped into the room sending the papers on his desk flying. “Where is she?” He started right in without a hello.

“She’s being taken care of.” Lex answered. For now he ignored the mess Clark made and walked around his desk to stand in front of him.

Now that Lex knew what Clark could do he felt like he was being towered over. There was always a plan B if Clark got out of control. The ring he had made was resting in the small lead box in his jacket pocket.

“What’s going on Lex? Her father is worried sick.” Clark looked at him with a hard line forming on his brow.

“You know what this is Clark. It’s something Chloe has feared since she found her mother.” Lex watched him put it together.

Clark’s eyes widened as he spoke. “The disease?” He questioned.

They both knew it was schizophrenia but neither of them could say it aloud. Lex nodded with a stained look in his eyes.

“What are we going to do?” Quickly they became a united front. It didn’t matter that they both hated each other more than anything at that moment.

They both had to rise up as one to take care of this problem. “She was taking medication but it’s no longer working. I have exhausted my resources. There is one thing we can do to reverse this completely. In the long run who knows but for now I have a sure way to keep this at bay.”

“What is it?” Clark spoke a little weary. He had to know that there would be a price to what Lex was proposing.

“We treat her with something extreme.” Lex started. Clark nodded and waited for him to go on. “She’ll have some memory loss but it will all be temporary. The things important to her will come back quickly.”

Clark took a step back turning away from him. This wasn’t a decision Lex was allowing Clark to make. It was one Lex had given to Chloe. In her last waking moments he told her he could save her. She said do whatever he had to. Lex explained to her what would happen but one critical point. It was what Lex needed Clark to do now.

“Clark.” Lex waited for him to turn to him and when he did it wasn’t pretty.

The line in his brow furrowed even deeper. The look in his eyes was on the verge of tears. “I think I know what you want to do.” Clark answered slow and steady.

“The treatment I received in Belle Reeve has been perfected. She won’t be in any pain. It will be over in a matter of moments.” Lex wasn’t only trying to convince Clark but he was trying to convince himself.

The weeks he lost after Belle Reeve haunted him for so long. Making Chloe go through the same thing pained him more than he wanted to feel. It was something he would never have offered as an option but the technique had been perfected. It put her mind back into a state before things went wrong in her life. Wiping the slate clean seemed to be the only way.

“If you think I’m going to stand by and watch you strap her down then fry her brain you’re sadly mistaken.” Clark went into protection mode.

Lex was prepared for this. “Clark I didn’t ask you for your opinions. Chloe has already agreed to go through with this.”

“She would never…” He started but Lex quickly stopped him.

“Don’t say another word.” Lex walked toward him no longer feeling towered over. He was in protection mode now. “This is killing her. Do you get that? Everything she ever wanted for her life is gone. There is no fighting this. Her mind will slowly eat away at itself until there is nothing left but a shell. A woman that looks like, smells like, and breathes like Chloe will be what you see but it won’t be her Clark. It will be a lifeless shell.”

He watched Clark’s breathing hitch. It made him wonder if he actually needed the oxygen. “Why is this happening?” He swallowed over the words.

“Chloe has so many secrets.” Clark eyed him over that one. “She’s holding things about you and me.” Lex hit him with that. Clark kept thinking he was innocent in all of this but he wasn’t. “Things her subconscious mind can’t handle.”

It was constant need for Chloe to suppress. There were so many things all of them wanted to forget. For Chloe she had the added bonus of a genetic disease to push her over the edge. Clark would have to see that Chloe was strong maybe even stronger than him but she couldn’t deny her bloodline.

“What do I need to do?” Lex watched Clark push his concerns aside. If Clark cared for Chloe then he and Lex both had to make a sacrifice.

“I’m going to tell you a story. This is what you are going to tell Chloe.” Lex watched him nod. “The most important part of her recovery is staying away from me.” He started.

“What?” Clark’s confusion was clear.

“I don’t care what she asks you just tell her that she should stay away from me. Spin it how ever you wish as long as it keeps her away.” Lex didn’t want to say this. The trigger to Chloe’s change was him. If she was going to get well and stay that way then he had to do things the right way.

After placing himself so firmly into her life Lex was going to fall out of it. They both had risen so far beyond the safe house that Lex didn’t think it was possible. Now it was time for him to fall away. It was a fall he had been waiting for everyday he was with her. Losing her then getting her back only prolonged what was bound to happen.

“If Chloe makes up her mind to see you it won’t matter what I say.” Clark spoke reluctantly. He still didn’t want to believe Chloe loved him.

“I’ll do my part if you just do yours.” Lex waited for him to respond.

“When do we do this?” The conversation was over and now it was time for action.

Lex went over the details Clark needed to know. Things would progress as they should in the coming days. The one thing Lex had worked so hard to get right would be lost. What mattered was making sure Chloe was whole again.

He promised to be with her before the procedure started. It was then he would say his hidden good bye. When she woke up her friends and family would be there and Lex would be were he should have always been.

~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~/~

Three Months Later

Alien space crafts shouldn’t be that hard to find. At least that’s what Lex kept telling his staff. The black ship was still missing. It was to the point now that he didn’t know if he should just move on from it. He still had the black meteor rock to work with. His staff was even less successful in understanding that.

All these clues and no answers as to how they fit together was how it always was. The point of all of this was to know if more were coming. Clark could be the last but if he wasn’t then how could Lex stand by and let the world be in danger when he had the knowledge to save it. The black ship was surrounded by carnage when he found it. He couldn’t let there be a repeat performance.

Now that a major part of his life was gone Lex had all the time in the world to devote to work and to his other hobbies. When he wasn’t doing either of those things all he could do was think about the life that he had no possibility of maintaining.

From the start Lex knew he would only end up hurting her. Kissing her the first time in the safe house should have never happened. Seeking her out after he worked so hard to be away from her so many times was a mistake.

This time, after all the mistakes, Lex wanted to get it right.

After Dr. Troche performed the procedure Chloe recovered overnight. Clark was in place telling the story they agreed upon. Clark made everyone else follow suit because no one really knew the truth Clark was hiding.

Chloe brought the story as well. Her life slowly got back in order. She recovered herself at Met U and the Daily Planet. After what she thought was a near death experience Chloe sought to spend more time with her family and friends. The life she deserved was falling into place. To him that meant the procedure was a success.

At first, Lex thought he was going to sink into the depression he did the first time they parted. This time he had more than enough reason to keep his word and stay away. Nothing could touch her now.

Her mental health would be secured as long as he did his part. There were times she tried to see him but his staff knew better than to ignore an order. There was no way she could come near him. The sight of her would weaken his resolve.

That’s where work came in to play. Hours of work, work that never seemed to be long enough was what he did. At some point Lex’s body expected him to rest. When he was sleeping it was the hardest time to do the right thing.

While he shared his bed with Chloe he always had to make sure she was real and now that she was gone he knew she was. He would reach out to touch her night after night and, when his hands found no purchase with her body, he knew the truth. There was no way to control his dreams of her. Her smile or her lavender scent would take over in his sleep.

The next day when he woke Lex’s resolve was solid once again. If she was going to stay well then Lex would stay away. The true test of his ability to stay away was coming at him very unexpectedly.

Waking up that day was the same as any other. Lex shook off his dream from the night before and went about getting himself ready for work. He had a meeting about a business take over and he would check in on the search for the ship. There were plans in the works for the splinter, as he was calling it now, as well.

As Lex exited his car to head into the Luthor Corp. building the day was as normal as any other. His usual space in the parking garage was empty as he drove into it. For a spilt second he let his gaze follow the key in the car ignition to remove it. When he looked up again there she was.

Chloe Sullivan was standing in front of his car. Her arms were crossed over her chest. She was wearing a black pants suit with a black bag slung over her shoulder. Her lips where pressed into a hard line as she watched him get out of the car.

As he looked at her Lex put up a stone wall between them. No matter what she was about to say or do he wouldn’t it let it get to him. He had hurt her enough, almost to the point of making her lose her mind. Months of work wasn’t going to be wasted. Just as he told Clark if she came to him he would do his part.

“You’re impossible to get alone.” Chloe stepped closer to him as he closed his car door.

“What can I do for you Ms. Sullivan?” Lex felt like he had to be as formal as possible with her. Then his nose caught a hint of her scent. The blazing smell of her lavender shampoo hit him hard. He had to shake his head to get it out of his mind.

“Ms. Sullivan?” She questioned him with her arms still firmly planted around her body in defense. “After everything I would think you would use my name. I would think you could speak to me as if you weren’t the spitting image of your father.”

Lex swallowed over the dryness in his throat. The coldness of her words made this even harder. This time being his father’s son made sense. The man, long dead, was something he could call on to keep her away if he had to.

“Why don’t you just tell me what you want?” He had to keep this to the point.

“Why have you been avoiding me?” Her eyes shot him a look he knew well. She was going to interrogate him.

“I have no idea what you mean.” Lex replied calmly.

Her hands flew into the air as she answered him. “I have called but the phone numbers I have don’t work. I have come to your office, the manor and the penthouse but every time I’m denied access.”

“That’s because we are no longer together Chloe. Didn’t Clark explain all of this to you already?” He wanted to move past her to make a run for it. The longer she was near him the harder it was for him to keep up his wall.

“Yes, he told me a load of crap.” Her eyes looked pained as she said the words. “I woke up in a hospital not knowing why I was there. Clark came into the room shortly after wards saying I was in a car accident. He claimed I hit my head and things might seem fuzzy for a while.”

“That’s not a load of crap Chloe that’s the truth.” Lex nudged past her for the door.

“Don’t you dare walk away after I had to break into this place to finally meet with you.” Her words were harsh. It sounded like she spoke through a clenched jaw.

When Lex looked at her again he saw her this time. He saw the dark circles under her eyes and the weary look on her face. Something was still hurting her. The reason she was there now had to be to rid herself of that hurt.

“Look whatever else Clark told you is true.” Lex spoke trying to keep it together.

“He said you didn’t want me anymore.” Chloe started. “I remember school. I remember work. I remember my friends and my family. Clark said things would be fuzzy for a while but the only thing that’s unclear is you Lex.” She moved toward him placing her bag down behind her.

He didn’t know what she was doing. Standing there he thought she was just moving to stand closer to him but she was quicker than he gave her credit for. Her arms flew around him then her lips crushed his. Lex stood frozen as she kissed him. His mind was trying to grasp why she would do this.

Clark should have told her that he lied to her. He used her to get to Clark’s secret. It was the only reason they were together for so long. Clark admitted he and Chloe spent sometime together before the meteor shower. After he was unable to get what he wanted in the caves, the day the world turned upside down, he pushed her away. It was true up to a point.

Why she was kissing him now was a mystery. He was sure the lie would be enough to keep her away. At the moment it didn’t matter because she was kissing him. Her body was making itself a part of him.

His wall was breaking down quickly at his feet when he let his lips move back against hers. It couldn’t be helped what happened next. His body had a mind of its own or maybe it was just his heart. He could stop his mind from thinking of her during his waking hours but he couldn’t stop his heart from loving her in his dreams.

The kiss only got worse once he was in on it too. His hands moved to the back of her neck to hold her in place as he kissed her. Then he let one of his hands trace the curves of her body. They started by drawing a line down her side then rose towards her heaving breast then ended by sliding back to the curve of her butt.

She made a show of touching him as well. Her fingers tickled his naked skull then he felt her nails dig in once he was at her breast. Her other hand was idle but gripping at his chest tightly.

If someone were to walk in and see them they would get an eye full. They were making out in the parking garage and it wasn’t right.

His hands started fumbling over her body as the kiss went on. She let him do whatever he wanted. Then he felt her palm plant firmly on his crotch and that’s what shook him out of it. He was going to keep her safe. He was going to help save her from being like her mother. Kissing her showed how weak his father always said he was and he had to stop if he wanted to keep his word.

His hands took hold of her arms then he was pulling her away from him. Her eyes were smoldering and her chest was heaving in breaths. “Chloe we are not together anymore.” Lex said the words letting her take a step back. The way she looked was so tempting; he had to get some distance.

“That may be true.” Chloe stepped in as he stepped away. “But I don’t think you would kiss me like that if it was the truth.”

“Clark told you what we talked about. I was only using you.” Lex tried to get some room. He needed air but the parking garage wasn’t allowing him much. When he breathed there was a stale smell of motor oil and gasoline.

“Then why do I feel like this.” Chloe kept coming closer to him until he was against the door of his retreat. “I keep having these memories of you and you can’t fake the things they make me feel.” She was right on top of him now “We love each other.”

“I don’t.” Lex said it plainly. This was the only way. “I don’t love you.”

“Don’t lie to me. You have never lied to me and don’t start now. It’s driving me crazy not knowing the truth.” When she said the word crazy Lex flinched. Loving him had driven her crazy.

She was supposed to forget everything about them that mattered to her health. The Teagues were the first thing the doctors got rid of. Then she was to forget that he knew the truth about Clark. The black ship was to be stripped away. Next on the list was forgetting the real way his father died. All of it was weighing heavy on her mind and it was changing her.

In the process of that Chloe wouldn’t remember the time they were together. There would be little to nothing that had to deal with him letting himself love her. The only thing he let her keep was the day of the meteor shower when he let his temper get the best of him.

“There is nothing I can give you Chloe.” Lex started to turn to leave but she caught his arm.

“I remember things after the meteor shower.” She started waiting for him to look at her but he didn’t. “I remember forgiving you. I remember making love to you. I remember you holding me at night when we slept. I remember you telling me you loved me without a hint of doubt in your words.” When Lex finally looked at her a few tears were in her eyes slowly trickling down her cheeks. “I remember us being happy.” Her grip tightened.

A knot tied in his chest. They were happy. Being with Chloe may have been the happiest he had ever been in life. There was a price for that happiness. Her health was more important than his happiness. Giving her a life that she could live without the fear of him ruining it was all he had left to give her.

She didn’t remember the days she stared blankly into space. It was something that was burned into his brain. Lex would prove his father wrong. He was stronger than Lionel ever knew.

“Trust me Chloe. What you feel will fade away. You’ll pull yourself together now and leave with out looking back. At first it won’t make sense but soon you will see that walking away from me is for the best.” Lex released her hand.

“Then I’m right.” Chloe spoke through a choked sob. “What I remember is real?”

He didn’t want to answer her. There was no way he could give her hope when he knew there was none but Lex did anyway. He nodded his head once as signal of a yes. Her eyes widened in shock.

“Then why are you doing this?” Chloe tried to see into him but he was walled away again. “After everything we have been through why would you throw away happiness?”

Lex thought back to their first kiss in the safe house. The way she felt at first feeling so right in his arms then the thought of how wrong it was filled him. His words that day to her were ones he knew were true so repeated them to her. “You were never ready for something serious with someone like me.” Then Lex walked away before she could say another word.

This was what he should have done the first time. He was supposed to walk away and never come back. The future was all he had now.

Slowly Lex would become something he feared. He was more than his father’s son. Slowly it got easier to weigh the choice to do things for the greater good in the gray area rather than in black and white. Before long things were less about what he could do for others and what he could do for himself. His quest to be something great gave him a thirst for power.

To keep Chloe at bay his first step down this pathway was something that killed two birds with one stone. Lex wanted to know how the new black meteor rocked affected Clark. He would send it in the mail as a gift. She would see that he only cared for the truth about Clark and Lex would have his answers. Two birds one stone or meteor rock.

If Chloe had stayed then she would have been trampled under the weight of his choices. Her life would be worse off had he turned to her in the parking lot that day and kissed her again. It was mistake he was done making.

This time he would get it right.

The End

Notes: Thanks for those that were reading all 46 pages of this one. This may be one of my first sad endings. I guess they all can’t be good ones.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information